[PP - F02] Punching rocks(for 'fun')<<Breaking the Unbreakable>> (with Hikoru)

Rithe arose from her bed at the inn reluctantly. I wish I could just stay in this comfort forever. She has this thought while wrapped up in her leather jacket, laying on the bed with no other coverings. But I guess I have to do something today. She begins pondering her choices: she could do some alchemy at her shop, she could try to find another quest to get more SP, or... I vaguely remember someone mentioning a quest about martial arts in passing. I think they said that it was on floor 2. She became excited at this idea, as it was her first time leaving the first floor. I wonder what it looks like. What the monsters can do, and what the quest itself entails. She prepared herself for the day before exiting her room at the inn and making her way towards the Starting City teleporters. 

She appears in Urbus for the first time. The first thing she noticed was that it was much smaller than the Town of Beginnings, and that it was surrounded by a mountainous biome, and situated in a large crater. After soaking this sight in for a while, Rithe began walking down the cobbled streets looking for the notice board. She finds it, and the standard crowd around it. She squeezes into the center of the group and tries to remember all the important information from the quest called <<Breaking the Unbreakable>>. Apparently this is going to take a while. Hopefully not much longer than the Nepent fight that Zuel and I had to deal with. She sighs in anticipation of the exhaustion and goes to sit on a bench in a nearby plaza. If I could just get someone who already had experience in these matters, this would be a lot easier. She looks around her at the players walking the streets, but nobody seems to stand out. Until her eyes rest upon a man about her age who seems out of place amongst the other players here. He seemed to be a cut above, rather, on an entirely different level than anyone here. Rithe could almost sense the power radiating from him. 

Intimidated, Rithe approaches and manages to stutter out, "C-could you h-h-help me with something?" Her instincts were screaming at her that this man had incredible strength, something that might be useful for the quest she was interested in. 

@Hikoru

Hikoru walked along the second floor, his inventory filled with the needed supplies for his Info Brokers. They had run low and somebody needed to run for them at their supplier on the 2nd floor, and he has picked the short straw. It had cost him a pretty penny to get the high quality supplies that they used, but they would last them for another month. He had decided against wearing his hood up today, as it was mostly people that didn't know his character. His steely gray gaze still landed on some and they looked away, but he knew that his face could be a bit intimidating to some. He was used to it by now, but he wished it wasn't like that. He was still trying to complete the design on his new wardrobe mentally, when he was stopped by a younger-looking girl. She spoke up, but she seemed to be visibally shaking in his eyes, the terror easy to read on her face. She seemed innocent enough, but by the look of her armor, he could tell she was a low-levelled player, probably Tier 1 if he wanted to put money on it. He nodded as he looked at the time.

"Uh, sure, I suppose. I have a few hours to kill before I have to deliver... Anyways, what can I help you with?" He asked. Usually, he wouldn't do that and be on his way, but he needed to take the right steps forward, and try to be more open and helpful to players. He shrugged off his fears of being ambushed, as he could easily escape and get out of the area. He awaited a reply quietly, trying to look a little friendlier than before.

She was acutely aware of how presumptuous she was behaving, and it was making her very uncomfortable. A high-tier player isn't the kind of person to just go along with someone just because they ask for help. He probably has a very important mission that I'm keeping him from. I'm just going to apologize and leave. She was baffled when this player actually gave her the time of day and stated that he was willing to help. Immediately sensing that he wasn't so scary, she breathed a sigh of relief and became less nervous, being able to talk without stuttering. "I heard that there is a quest on this floor to get a special martial arts skill. And from reading the details of it, it's clear that I need a professional's help." Rithe fidgets as she openly acknowledges her weakness to this man she has never met. "The quest is called <<Breaking the Unbreakable>>, and it involves punching a boulder. Not very exciting I know, but I don't know if I could do it by my lonesome. So would you be so kind as to party with me and help me destroy it?" She bows her head respectfully to the much stronger player, waiting for a response.

Hikoru listened as the girl asked for help in Breaking the Unbreakable, a quest he hadn't heard word of in awhile. His mind brought him back on the day he did it himself with another frontliner named Jomei. It took them what felt like an eternity, but they finally defeated it, and he earned the Martial Arts skill, his knuckles bruised and battered but the victory was his. He sighed and looked at his hands, which he knew had the power within him, and he had the ability to use a few ranks of the Martial Arts skill. He nodded to the young girl.

"Sure, that's not a problem. Now, I will have to find the location real quick..." He opened his HUD and his map appeared, completely filled out and showing him every blip he had marked. He looked for the right marker, and found the quest area where he last remembered it, on the top of a mountain. He toggled it, and soon a small marker appeared in his vision. It was a ways away, but it wouldn't take them long to travel there. Maybe this time there would be a staircase up, instead of having to climb the sheer cliff like he had. "Alright, there. It's in this direction." He said, pointing towards the blip. "It should take us maybe 45 minutes to an hour of walking." He said with a sigh. "Ready to get your cardio in?"

Rithe raises her head, meeting Hikoru's eyes, and smiling in gratitude. And when he opened his menu to find the map, she did the same so they could compare and coordinate. Rithe follows through the processes that her new ally goes through and also notices the quest indicator. "I've tried navigating like this before, but I ended up getting lost, and went in a big circle." She looks up at him with a certain reverence, "But I guess over time, you've come to figure it out... Or maybe I'm just special." She says sheepishly. Gazing in the directing indicated by the quest marker and Hikoru's finger, she nods in response to the time required to get there. An hour? That seems kind of far. And at the last comment of her companion, she just sighs and sends him a party invite. "Hopefully I won't be too tired by the time we get there."

And the two of them depart Urbus with great haste, Rithe following after her new companion, trusting his expertise.

Edited by Rithe

Hikoru double and triple checked his map, and made sure the road they needed to take was the shortest route. The younger player said she got lost using the navigation. He nodded and muttered a few things to himself about the roads, until he closed it, satisfied with how it came out, and it turns out there was a slightly shorter route, only 45 minutes compared to his hour travel. He set the marker onto the road and soon he saw the marker on the road. He sighed and un-equipped his dagger. He knew he wouldn't be needing it. He looked at his bare hands, and tightened them into fists. He could do this.

"The navigation system can always take a minute to learn. It's mostly learning how to check your markers and make sure they aren't changing while your moving. That can happen on floors your new to, as all the quests are trying to get you to take them at once." He said with a chuckle. "Anyways, lets get moving." He said, and started to walk onto the road, his companion following. as they travelled to the peak of the mountain he did his quest at, the temperature started to drop as snow and ice started to appear on the trail. His <<Survival>> Skill activated, and soon his body gave a small hum of red over his skin, keeping him warm enough to be comfortable. He had no clue if his companion had this skill, and he looked over.

"Are you warm enough? Because we could be here for awhile, and the temperature only gets colder from here." He said, a bit worried. He remembered how cold he was, and he knew it made it difficult to punch a rock. He soon saw the cabin of the older NPC that was there. He motioned toward the snow-covered steps. "Go ahead and knock, that's what starts the quest. She will put some sort of mark on your head with paint. I don't remember what color or what symbol, but it goes away after the quest is over. It's sorta like a marker to see that players are doing this quest." He instructed her. He crossed his arms and waited for her to start the quest.

And their journey began. The quest markers would take them through a winding shortcut to their objective, higher and higher into the mountains. Rithe listens to Hikoru's light ranting about quest markers and nods her enthusiastic understanding. "I might just have to leave the navigation to the more capable people." Here's hoping that I can find more dependable people, because so far, I've been very lucky with all these generous souls. 

The temperature drops dramatically the greater the elevation, causing Rithe to wrap her jack about herself as tightly as she can. She looks incredulously at her new ally, wondering how he can withstand such cold. Inspired by Hikoru's apparent resilience, she defiantly claims that "Yeah, I'll be fine. Just a little chilly, not too bad." It was obvious that she was lying through her chattering teeth, but she did her best to not disappoint her companion. Rithe listens to the instructions given, and approaches the door, knocking twice. She waits, and goes to knock for a third time when the door swings open, causing her to stumble into the hut. 

After a brief deliberation, Rithe exits the hut, with a slightly altered appearance. She seems anxious as to what was drawn on her face, and she hides it behind an embarrassed hand. "I have to break a boulder with only my hands..." She looks around, still shielding her face. "I'm not sure where it would be.." She looks to Hikoru for assistance.

Hikoru watched as the young girl went into the hut, where she falls and stumbles into the hut, and the door is closed. He waited quietly while he thought about whats already happened. It was a fairly quiet way up, but she seemed cold, even though she didn't tell him that. He decided that he would need her in top condition for her to work. He started to scroll in his inventory to see if he could find anything. He heard the door open and looked up from his inventory, to the girl hiding where the mark should be. He didn't take any notice to it as he opened his inventory again.

"The Boulder is nearby, trust me just take a look, give me a minute though..." He said as he continued to look through his inventory. He finally found an old piece of armor that he hadn't seen in a long time. The sketch of a white lion on the inside of the hood brought back both good and bad memories. He grit his teeth and looked away, finding where the girl went and giving a short whistle. He then tossed the armor to her, doing his best to throw it light enough to not hurt. "Here, try this on. It should be a bit warmer than what your wearing now. Sorry it's not much, but im sure it'll work for now." He said, then he looked and saw the boulder, and pointed.

"There it is, now, i'm going to disappear for a few seconds, but I promise i'll be back in a flash, okay?" He stated, before putting up his cloak, and backing up into some nearby shadows, becoming engulfed and activating his stealth. He felt his cloak activate due to the snow falling and melting against his skin, the tiny amount of water adding up and soon it shimmered and he became opaque compared to the mountainside. He readied his fist, and prepared to attack the boulder.

ID: 104645 LD: 5+7+4= 16 Stealth Rating

Giving Rithe the Following Item:

Spoiler

Name:  Shadowed Eclipse
Profession: Tailor
ID: 
Roll: 12 (11+1)
Item Type: Light Armor
Tier: 1
Quality: Perfect
Enhancements: +2 Evasion +9 Damage Mitigation
Description: A Dark-Colored suit of armor, with a hood and face-mask attached to the armor itself. Fits like a glove. A small imprint of a white crowned lion head etched on the inside of the hood

(!!! Given a generous gift: +4% mental stability !!!)

Rithe looks up when she hears the whistle, and catches the armor clumsily. She looks it over surprised and glances back up to her ally. "I couldn't just.." Remembering that it's rude to refuse a gift, Rithe looks at Hikoru and smiles slightly. "Thank you." She equips it and sighs deeply in relief as it covers her limbs in totality like her previous garment. She pulls at some of the durable material, "It's a little tight.." She says to no one in particular, the body-glove being quite 'formfitting'. Despite the armor being a bit tighter, it was quite insulated and protected her significantly more from the weather. While inspecting the outfit, she had taken away her hands from her face exposing a set of painted-on mouse whiskers, or at least it would have, if the armor didn't cover her face with a mask.

She glances up at Hikoru to see his next plan of action, but he's gone, his words whispering on the mountain wind. What?! What just happened? Rithe notices the boulder that her ally had pointed out earlier, and steps towards it. "Did you want me to hit first?" She mumbles quietly. She looks at the rock and steels herself. I can't let him do all the work, so here goes. She pulls back her fist for her attack. 

She hits the stone, her fist bouncing uselessly off the rock. She shakes out her hand, trying to get rid of the fuzzy sensation. At least the Cardinal system gets rid of the actual pain.

Spoiler

ID# 104652 results:

Battle: 6 + 2(enemy evasion) (hit) 1 final damage

Hikoru: 1,500/1,500 HP 150/150 EN

Rithe: 180/180 HP 17/18 EN (-1 EN)

The Boulder: 49/50 HP (-2 evasion)

Edited by Rithe
Rock punching

Hikoru watched as the young girl punched the rock, looking a little worried about how quickly he left. He mentally sighed to himself. People never understand how stealth works unless he explains it. He curled up his fist tightly, then sprang forward, attacking the boulder head on and punching right in the center. huge cracks formed in the rock as a crater surrounded where his hand was. He pulled back as a few bits and pieces of the rock chipped and cracked from where his hand was. He shook his hand a bit, chuckling to himself.

"Yeah, just as hard as I remember. A little easier to deal damage to it nowadays. Weird though, I was expecting my Sword Art to activate..." He said, a bit curious. Did the Quest change in his absence? He took a mental note to add it to the file, and turned to the girl. "Good solid punch. Think you can do it for a little while longer?" He asked, curling up his fists. "Because we may be here awhile. I only get one good hit like that, not multiple. Let's make the most out of this and get a good workout."

ID: 104654 BD: 7+3=10 Hit! 

Hikoru used Fist! 21 x 1 = 21 Damage to Boulder

Spoiler

Hikoru: 1,500/1,500 HP 149/150 EN

Rithe: 180/180 HP 17/18 EN

The Boulder: 28/50 HP (-2 evasion)

How are they expecting anyone to break through this? She touches the mask covering her face tenderly, remembering the whiskers painted there. What if we can't break it, and I'm stuck with this paint? She sighs, and steps away from the stone, not pleased about another extremely long and arduous quest. And then her companion strikes. 

It was as if a bomb had dropped. One moment, there was nothing, and the next there was Hikoru, fist extended into the rock. A loud boom reverberated down the mountainside at the impact, almost knocking Rithe off her feet. The rock caves and shatters beneath his fist, cracks rippling along its surface from the shockwave. Incredible. She was at a loss for words. She had never seen such power before, and it left her stunned. Unfortunately for the two players, the rock was still standing(albeit damaged) when the dust clears. Rithe looks at her ally, dumbfounded, as he speaks nonchalantly about it. Is this the strength of tier three? She nods when Hikoru asks his question, and goes to punch the boulder once more.

Spoiler

ID# 104664 results:

Battle: 6 + 2(enemy evasion) = 8(hit) 1 final damage

Rithe: 180/180 HP 17/18 EN (+1 -1 EN)

The Boulder: 27/50 HP (-2 evasion)

Edited by Rithe
Rock punching

Hikoru shook his hand a bit more to try and regain some feeling in his hand as the young girl took another punch, dealing a small portion of damage. He just chuckled to himself. So this is how Jomei felt on that day he decided to do this. He just sighed and switched his stance, reversing it to punch with his right hand instead of his left. He didn't know how this would feel, or if it would even be seen as his Martial Arts attack, but he would find out. He wound up his shot, clenching his fist tightly as he punched forward, a shockwave of air around is hand shook and reverberated as he hit the rock with another sickening crack, another large gash going into the rock from where he hit it, and it looked as if it was going to crumble if he hit it another time. He shook his head as it still shook a bit from the hit. He wasn't used to this feeling, as he had only practiced on slimes, not something that had some real molecular structure to it. He sighed and stood back a bit, making sure to stay loose, not to tense up, to stay focused.

ID: 104665 BD: 7+3= 10 Hit!

Hikoru used Punch! 1+4+1+9 = 15 Damage!

Spoiler

Rithe: 180/180 HP 17/18 EN 

The Boulder: 12/50 HP (-2 Evasion)

• 2 weeks later...

Her clenched fist impacts the stone, dealing no visible damage, stepping back indignantly,  and briefly taking off the mask to breathe easier.  "Compared to you, I'm really not doing all that much.." She trails off as her suspicions are confirmed by some 'very' subtle chuckling from her companion. She frowns slightly, but gives no other indication that she heard him. I guess it must be funny, looking at someone so weak struggle against something that is nearly invulnerable to her attacks. She sighs and lets her ally take a shot. But the second she pulled back far enough, another earth shattering blast sheared off a huge chunck of rock, rending it into tiny fragments. The boulder was about one-fourth its original size, when she could see it in its full form again. Her thoughts began drifting to Zuel, These two are so similar, even if Zuel is closer to my level. They both share generosity, and strength, but also a indomitable will. She thinks about how Zuel decimated a grouping of enemies in a single action, and how Hikoru fractures nigh-immortal objects with his bare fists, noting the common traits of them both. She smiles gently to herself, I'm surrounded by incredible people. Her smile widens as she thinks about this more. I feel as if my life in here is some karmic balance taking place for my life in the real world. A tear tries to invade her vision, but she wipes it away quickly, and re-equips the mask, going to punch the rock once more. 

Spoiler

ID# 105158 results:

Battle: 8+2(enemy's evasion) = 10(hit) 1 final damage

Rithe: 180/180 HP 17/18 EN (+1 -1)

The Boulder: 11/50 HP (-2 Evasion)

Edited by Rithe
rock punching

Hikoru watched as the girl punched the rock. He had done some calculations, and he realized that his punch should be good enough to finish it off. Hikoru breached in deeply, and took another pose, trying to find the comfortable style that he was going to use. His eyes narrowed as he studied the rock, focused intently on every fractal point where he had made devastating blows. The boulder has a few weak points, but the biggest seemed to be in the lower part of the right side. Strange to him, but he didn't think about it too much. He breathed in deeply, then charged forward, leaping and doing a spin in the air, landing on the ground with one foot and the other kicking right in the weak point, splitting it in half and sending the top part a few feet up. He quickly leapt up and met the rock, sending a punch straight through, and turning the rock to pixels. He landed quietly, and let go of the breath he had been holding. He turned to the young player with a smile.

"There we are, I think the quest popup should appear." He said confidentally. He looked at his hands proudly. He had grown, and become stronger than that day. He signed as the memories came and went, and he looked at the girl. "I could go for a nice cup of coffee. How about you?" He asked in a sorta-goofy tone.

ID: 105159 BD: 3+3= 6 Hit!

Hikoru used Punch! 1+4+1+9 = 15 Damage!

Before she had fully retracted her arm from her third punch, her ally pulls off an incredible combo, turning the remainder of the boulder to grains of sand with two brutal strikes. Still struggling to process the power behind Hikoru's limbs, Rithe stands and stares, stunned, at where the rock stood. "No way.." So fast! I could barely keep up with his movements! It was as if the rock destroyed itself, and Hikoru was suddenly in the rubble. She looks over to him, as he remarks about the quest. As if on queue, the log appears marking the subsequent increase in skill and experience. She numbly proceeds through the menu before glancing back at her companion. She nods slowly as he mentions a drink. "Coffee..? Sure.." She mumbles out. Coffee? I've never really had it. Her experience with basic indulgences was quite sparse. As the two set down the mountain, she occasionally glances at her ally in awe and respect of his martial prowess, seeing his strength as an almost unattainable goal.

Hikoru nodded as she agreed and they started to walk down the mountain. His cloak billowing in the breeze, he saw in the corner of his eye that Rithe was sneaking glances at him. Curious, he felt his eyebrow raise a bit. "Something on your mind?" He asked simply, then focused forward. He saw that the scenery hadn't changed much. He could see the giant staircase leading upwards towards the third floor. He had climbed those once, out of sheer curiosity of how it felt to be a frontliner, clearing floors. He gave a small sigh in memory. It had been a long time since he had done that. Before he had truly become stronger than what he once was. He had been in this young girl's shoes once, and he never forgot that feeling of true terror, of feeling as if he stood no chance of surviving. But now he stood at the top, one of the biggest DPS players in the game, because he pushed himself forwards with his allies, his brothers and sisters in arms. They had all truly come a long way, and he was glad to have these memories, even if some of them weren't the best. He knew that the boss raid would be soon, and he would have to fight side by side with them again, but for now he could enjoy the feeling of calm, and enjoy the game for what it really was, a work of art.

The temperature slowly began reaching a warmer and more comfortable level, as they descended carefully into the valleys of floor 2. "Ah, nothing. I was just thinking about how I'm glad I didn't have to do this on my own." This stirs memories of a more troublesome time, a time when her life was punctuated by various methods of psychological torment. She shivers, but not from the cold, her gut tightening and a chill filling her chest. Breathing deeply, she manages to hold out until the feeling passes, leaving her feel empty and tired. I don't want to ever think about that again. I don't want to return to a world devoid of sunshine. I don't want to come home to the place least applicable to the word 'home'. I don't want to see their faces again. Rithe sighs deeply, and then suddenly remembers something. "Oh! I almost forgot. It's warm enough now that I should be good without it." She re-equips <<Father's Gift>>, returning <<Shadowed Eclipse>> to Hikoru through a trade menu. She seems to visibly relax, as she draws the familiar jacket tighter to herself. The party finally reaches Urbus, with only a few minutes more than an hour since they had left. 

Hikoru nodded as she said she was glad she didn't do it alone. "I have to agree with you. Back when I did it, I had someone come and help me with it. However, it took him as long as it took me, as he hadn't put any points into Martial Arts." he said with a chuckle. "I completely ran out of energy by the end of it, but we made it through." He spoke with a small smile, remembering one of the hardest missions he had to partake in. He got a ping and he saw his trade menu pop open. He read it, and just shook his head, denying the trade and giving her the item back. "There's no need to return it. Use it when you need to, but don't feel obligated to use it if you don't want to." He said with a warm smile. He looked and saw the town in the distance, and he sighed. "Alright, we're going to a place that may be a bit... sketchy at first. But, I can guarantee your safety, and i'm sure Rex would be happy to see another young face around his... establishment." He said with a chuckle. He lead the small girl to a bar near the edge of town, looking a little dinged up around the edges. The name "The Rusty Dagger" sat on a sign and was a bit crooked. He opened the door, and all eyes were on the group. Hikoru put on his persona and glared at them all, the thieves, Info Brokers, and people who could possibly be apart of Laughing Coffin, all of them met here when they needed a good drink. Rex, the bartender and shop owner, didn't care who you were as long as you had cash and you behaved yourself.

"Rex, a cup of Joe and a cup of Cocoa for my young accomplice." He said in a slightly authoratative voice. Rex nodded quietly and went in the back to get them made. He sat down and offered a seat next to him at the bar for the girl, and turned his back. "Nobody will mess with you as long as your with me. These people fearfully respect me, so thats why I may seem a bit... cold." He said with a chuckle. "But this is where some of the best stuff in all of Aincrad is. Trust me, i've been to almost every bar and shop in the game."

Rithe listens to Hikoru's recollection, and nods at appropriate intervals, trying to not intrude in his memories. Upon having the trade refused, Rithe raises an eyebrow, but doesn't complain. "Thanks, again." she says gently, returning his smile. Sketchy? She wasn't sure what exactly her companion meant by this, but it seemed to have a negative connotation. She was somewhat comforted by Hikoru's offer of protection, but she couldn't shake a feeling of suspicion. Rex? Who's that? From the way that Hikoru introduced him, he seems dangerous. They arrive at their destination, The Lucky Dagger. A bar? Like the inn that I usually rest in at the Starting City? At the very second that the door was opened, Rithe felt a wave of discomfort wash over her. She felt like she was being scanned, analyzed by everyone's eyes, all at once. The onlookers were quickly tamed by a gaze from her ally, his reputation seeming to proceed him. She squirmed a little in place as they found their seats, but didn't let her uneasiness show on her face. Rithe acknowledges Rex as he is addressed by Hikoru, relieved that he wasn't some shady character. Feeling slightly intimidated, she fails to make an decision and instead lets Hikoru handle the order. She smiles lightly as he says accomplice, and nods slowly as he describes his effect on most people. She begins to speak, stuttering slightly, a bit tense from her environment."Y-you don't seem all that cold to me, b-but I can tell by looking at you're equipment and the way you carry yourself that you're strong." She let's that comment sink in before bringing up something else that crossed her mind. "I-I don't look that young, do I? I-I mean, y-you don't look that much older than me." she says, frowning ever so slightly, as she waits for the drinks to arrive.

Edited by Rithe
Rithe cannot hear thoughts
  • 4 weeks later...

Hikoru chuckled as she commented on his coldness, and how instead of that, he seemed the opposite, as far as he could tell. But she commented on his armor and cloak, that she could tell he was strong. He nodded in thanks. "I suppose it does look quite a bit different compared to the rest of armor you may see on the first floor..." He unsheathed his dagger, and laid it out on the table. The blade seeming transparent, seeing a bit of the counter underneath it, and a tattered, grey binding on the hilt. He felt down the blade, proving that the blade was still there. "This however, is a Tier 1 Weapon, but it's one of the strongest I have in my arsenal." He said with a chuckle. He opened his inventory and brought out a paper, his study on his own weapon, and the enchantment Phase

"Phase: An ability that, when activated, phases through half of the opponents Mitigation. Very Effective against high Mitigation Bosses and Quest Monsters. Ineffective against players with Little to no Mitigation." He spoke quietly to the girl, leaving the weapon on the bar. He set the paper down and touched the hilt. "This is called the Dimensional Dagger, but i'm feeling like I should change it's name... Probably to Āmāburōken." He said with a chuckle. The young girl asked about his age, and he just chuckled. "I call a lot of people young, probably because I feel so old... I've been on the front lines ever since I hit level 23 I believe... And now, at level 75, it feels like it's been an eternity..." He sighed. "It shows your age, and if this wasn't a game, i'd probably have so much white hair, and wrinkles, lots of wrinkles." He said with a laugh.