[F6 - SP] A Change of Heart <<Calming The Soul>>

The pain kept swelling up in Neo, seemingly with no end. She didn't want to let it take her over, but there was nothing that she could do but let it course through her. She looked up towards Mint, who had a disappointed look on her face, there was nothing she wanted to say to her, there was only her own disappointment that others couldn't understand what she wanted. She wanted to be accepted for who she was, not be turned into something she wasn't. How they didn't understand that, Neo thought was just the games doing. Maybe when she got back, she would just get the surgery if she still could. She didn't want it though, how could they not see that?

"You have such a conflict running through you, but I don't see how. You are trying to decide between staying stuck in your own drama or just make life easier for you. Why does it have to be such a hard choice Neo? Why not just make things easier for yourself."

Not everything is black and white Mint. Not everything is good or bad. There are things that must be considered. Sometimes a little suffering is worth the reward it gives. What do you have to show for yourself besides being like the perfect role model for others. You barely do anything not expected of you, you just do what's expected exactly as expected.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #105119

BD: 2 + 3 = 5 - miss

CD: 4 - no recovery

MD: 6 - hit

Neo: 449/450 HP (+4 BH; -1 hit) | 34/40 ENG (+1 regen; -2 miss) | 6 DMG | 14 MIT | 4 BH | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 2 REC | 12 BLD | Paralyze I | 10 VNM

Mint: HP: 63/200 | 10 DMG | 2 MIT

Neo brought herself back up, the pain beginning to subside.

"You feel that sister, that is the lack of pain you can have if you just talk. All you need to do is that and we can become the perfect pair of twins, nothing standing in our way towards greatness."

With a tear in her eye, Neo lunged forward once again and stabbed her sister through the heart. She fell silent. Even though all the blows before had been causing no physical harm, this one was different. Neo watched as blood seeped out from the wound where her blade still was. Mint looked up towards her with fear in her eyes. Pulling the rapier out of the wound, Neo swiped it to the side, staining the carpet with the blood of her sister. The light in Neo's eyes was gone, replaced by a cold desire to deal with this unfinished business.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #105267

BD: 10 - major crit (6 + 2 * 4 = 32

CD: 8 - recovery

MD: paralyzed

Neo: 450/450 HP (+4 BH) | 34/40 ENG (+1 regen; -2 miss; +2 recovery) | 6 DMG | 14 MIT | 4 BH | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 2 REC | 12 BLD | Paralyze I | 10 VNM

Mint: HP: 9/200 | 10 DMG | 2 MIT

• Bleed (12 damage/turn): 1 turns
  • Venom (10 damage/turn): 3 turns

Mint looked up from her wound towards Neo.

"I... didn't think... you would go this far. Be careful... you don't... turn into what... you hate."

She was coughing up blood, unable to form a sentence in one breath. The light slowly drained from her eyes in a much more dramatic fashion than was humanly possible. Before she was completely gone, Neo heard her whisper one last breath.

"Don't become... the killer."

The light returned into Neo's eyes, realizing what she had done. She rushed to her sister's side, wishing that she hadn't just killed her. The rage that had filled her moments before was gone, replaced by an immeasurable amount of guilt. Though she knew her time here would soon be over, Neo began to wonder if she was truly ready to receive this skill. This was the third of four challenges and she was already going to leave this place with more questions than she was willing to bear.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #105268

CD: 6 - recovery

Neo: 450/450 HP | 37/40 ENG (+1 regen; +2 recovery) | 6 DMG | 14 MIT | 4 BH | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 2 REC | 12 BLD | Paralyze I | 10 VNM

Mint: HP: 0/200 | 10 DMG | 2 MIT

• Venom (10 damage/turn): 2 turns

Neo knelt down onto the ground and began to softly cry while she was pulled out of the illusion.

Right, this is all just an illusion, nothing more. That wasn't my sister, just a fake version of her constructed from my thoughts. But if it was in my thoughts, does that mean deep down I've been wanting to kill her?

With the idea of trying to kill her running through her head, Neo took the time to gather herself. If the last fight was anything to go off of, what was coming next would surely be terrifying to face. She was unsure if she could handle it, but decided it would be best to finish what she had started. There was little that she could think of that would phase her more than her sister. She knelt once more at the foot of the runes, three now glowing in the setting sun. She closed her eyes, and let the sounds of the water slowly quiet, going into the distance. For the last time in this dream world, she opened her eyes and looked around at her surroundings.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #105269

CD: 9 - recovery

Neo: 450/450 HP | 40/40 ENG (+1 regen; +2 recovery) | 6 DMG | 14 MIT | 4 BH | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 2 REC | 12 BLD | Paralyze I | 10 VNM

Neo looked around to make sure that what she saw was actually what surrounded her. It was the fields of the first floor, flattened out perfectly. There were no boars or any other enemies in sight. And though the Town of Beginnings was behind her, it seemed to just grow farther away whenever she walked towards it. Whatever this final challenge was. it was going to take place here. Seeing some bushes in front of her, Neo made her way towards them, eventually pushing her way through them. When she stepped out of the bushes, she came into a clearing. What she saw shocked her. Sitting there was her younger self and another girl. She had white hair and the sweetest smile, everything seemed like it would go fine while she was looking at that smile. She saw her own mouth open, forming into words she never remembered speaking. The voice was soft, hesitant that the words were right.

"Who... Who are you?"

Neo went to motion that she was herself from the future, but instead a voice spoke out instead, emanating from where Neo stood. Already stunned by her younger self speaking, she just let it happen.

"Why hello there little girls, you seem to be lost. Why don't you let me take care of the two of you."

"We're not lost, so don't bother us please. We're just taking a break from farming some mobs."

"Anything interesting drop off of them, I would be oh so curious to know if this place is worth my while."

"No, now if you would please leave."

The white-haired girl had stood up in front of the young Neo, who had curled up in anxiety. It was just like the ball she would curl up in while hiding in the Town of Beginnings.

"You know what, I think I'll stay for now. It seems that it'll be much more interesting to hang around the two of you."

Neo watched as her younger self got up and scattered towards the bushes. The white-haired girl quickly looked back to see her disappear into the bushes. Turning back, she quickly told off the current Neo, or whoever she actually was.

"How about you leave now, you're scaring my friend."

"How about we have a little fun then."

Spoiler

Third Inner Demon: Vanilla

• 300 HP
  • 15 DMG
  • 2 MIT

Without even thinking of doing so, Neo drew her weapon and struck at the girl. She didn't know why, she just felt pulled by some force to attack as if she was being controlled. She didn't know why this was happening. Though she saw her younger self, she couldn't remember anything like this happening. Maybe it was a metaphor for how she attacked her mental self while sitting crying in the Town of Beginnings. But if that were the case, she hadn't the slightest clue why there was a white-haired girl defending the young Neo.

While she was thinking to herself, the voice and the girl continued to talk to each other.

"You're fast for such a low leveled player."

"One of the perks of being young in this game."

"How about you just lay down and we end this quick."

"I'd rather you try to spear me through with your blade."

Spoiler

Roll ID: #105270

BD: 7 + 3 = 10 - hit (6 * 4 - 3 = 21

CD: 2 - no recovery

MD: 6 - hit

Neo: 449/450 HP (-1 hit)| 37/40 ENG (-3 sword art) | 6 DMG | 14 MIT | 4 BH | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 2 REC | 12 BLD | Paralyze I | 10 VNM

Vanilla: HP: 279/300 | 15 DMG | 3 MIT

Neo continued to be forced to attack the girl, stabbing her in the leg with her sword. Neo's vision began to go red from the hatred in the voice. She had no control but felt, enjoyment? She couldn't place why, but there was still some residual feeling that she was enjoying hurting this girl. She didn't know why it was there, but all she could do was sit back and let the motions happen. This was certainly something that was playing out for her to see, but Neo still couldn't figure out what it was. She felt like she was in the wrong place, but knew that something like this had happened. Maybe she had read it somewhere on the news? The voices continued to banter while they fought.

"You don't seem so strong now. That feeling inside of you, that's your HP slowly draining away. You can't even attack back can you. That would be the little bit of paralyzing venom on my blade. So how about we just end this quickly and I run you through."

The white-haired girls eyes steeled, falling prone as the blade went over her to avoid it.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #105271

BD: 10 + 3 = 13- major crit (8 * 4 - 3 = 29

CD: 12 - recovery

Neo: 450/450 HP (+4 BH)| 37/40 ENG (+1 regen; -3 sword art; +2 recovery) | 6 DMG | 14 MIT | 4 BH | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 2 REC | 12 BLD | Paralyze I | 10 VNM

Vanilla: HP: 228/300 | 15 DMG | 3 MIT

• Venom (10 damage/turn): 3 turns

"You can't dodge like that forever girl. What makes you think you can beat me?"

"It doesn't matter if I can beat you or not. What matters is that I stand up for my friends"

With that sentiment, the white-haired girl did stand up against Neo or whoever Neo was in the place of.

"Well than, it seems like we get to do this the fun way. Thanks for not ruining the enjoyment of the hunt for me."

The voice was sadistic, not even hesitating to mask the malicious intent behind her words. It sent chills down Neo's spine. Was this the path she was heading towards? Was she going to become a cold-blooded killer if she remained in this game. What would happen to her when she got out? Would she end up unable to redeem herself if she didn't hold on to who she was? Neo kept trying to dig for a deeper meaning in what this vision was. She knew it had nothing to do with her, so was trying to find out what it was supposed to mean to her.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #105272

BD: 1 + 3 = 4 - critical miss

CD: 12 - recovery

MD: 3 - miss

Neo: 450/450 HP (+4 BH)| 38/40 ENG (+1 regen; -2 miss; +2 recovery) | 6 DMG | 14 MIT | 4 BH | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 2 REC | 12 BLD | Paralyze I | 10 VNM

Vanilla: HP: 206/300 | 15 DMG | 3 MIT

Neo lunged once more at the girl, still unable to control her actions. She didn't know why she felt inclined to attack the girl who was being so kind to her. There was no reason for her to do so. What she had done was a completely unprovoked attack across another player. As she thought this, a flash of orange went through her haze of red vision. It seemed that the memory was in the SAO system after all. The view cleared a little bit, just enough to see that there was a green marker above the white-haired girl's head. What she had done just turned her cursor orange. As she knew this was fake, she could tell it was only a simulation of the memory not her actually turning orange. Nonetheless, it still terrified her. The girl screamed in pain from the attack.

""You sure you want to keep going little girl? All you need to do for this to stop is ask for it."

Spoiler

Roll ID: #105273

BD: 3 + 3 = 6 - hit (6 * 4 - 3 = 21

CD: 3 - no recovery

MD: 5 - miss

Neo: 450/450 HP (+4 BH)| 36/40 ENG (+1 regen; -3 sword art) | 6 DMG | 14 MIT | 4 BH | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 2 REC | 12 BLD | Paralyze I | 10 VNM

Vanilla: HP: 175/300 | 15 DMG | 3 MIT

• Venom (10 damage/turn): 1 turns

Without pausing for the girl to catch her breath Neo went in for another lunge at her, stabbing her in her other leg. She froze up once more, tense from the paralyzation of her blade. Neo almost regretted having the effect, but was witnessing just how good it was right now. The voice continued to speak, but Neo didn't listen to it. She instead had a sense of admiration for what she was doing. She tried to shake her head clear.

That's not right. I am killing another human being that did nothing to provoke me. All there was was a disagreement of whether or not I could join. That's nothing to kill someone over. And though she isn't dead yet, I don't think this phantasm of a body is going to let up until she is dead. Perhaps if I can find the meaning in this, I can save her before it's too late.

The haze in front of Neo's eyes cleared a little bit, but still lingered.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #105274

BD: 9 + 3 = 12 - minor crit (6 + 1 * 4 - 3 = 25)

CD: 1 - no recovery

Neo: 450/450 HP | 34/40 ENG (+1 regen; -3 sword art) | 6 DMG | 14 MIT | 4 BH | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 2 REC | 12 BLD | Paralyze I | 10 VNM

Vanilla: HP: 128/300 | 15 DMG | 3 MIT

• Venom (10 damage/turn): 3  turns

Neo dug deep into the recesses of her mind, desperate to find the meaning of this image and save the girl her body was unwillingly killing. As she did, her body mercilessly went in and continued to stab at the girl, not giving her a chance to move before paralyzing her further. Neo didn't know how much more the girl could take before she would crumple to her wounds.

"So, you don't want to fight anymore?" Neo could feel the grin forming on her body's face. "I thought you wanted to stand up for your friends. Or was that just some bold statement to sound brave?"

Maybe that's what it is, maybe I need to stand up for others? No, I need to stand up for myself instead of letting others do it. That has to be it.

The scene din't change, the viscera clouding over Neo's eyes once more.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #105275

BD: 10 + 3 = 13 - major crit (6 + 2 * 4 - 3 = 29)

CD: 2 - no recovery

Neo: 450/450 HP | 32/40 ENG (+1 regen; -3 sword art) | 6 DMG | 14 MIT | 4 BH | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 2 REC | 12 BLD | Paralyze I | 10 VNM

Vanilla: HP: 77/300 | 15 DMG | 3 MIT

• Venom (10 damage/turn): 3  turns

Neo was unsure why that didn't work, it had to be the answer, there was even less red in her sight. Maybe it was just what had happened in this simulation that was being pure coincidence. It couldn't be a memory though, Neo had no recollection of this happening. She tried to think of some way out of this situation, some way to think her way back to the pedestal. She didn't want to watch this, but she was still being forced to. There wasn't enough calm left in her though to find her way back to the pedestal, she was too frantic. Her body lunged out and stabbed at the white-haired girl once more, taking out her other arm. The girl stood there, limp. There was nothing she would be able to do to defend herself. She stared vacantly in front of her, her sword clanging to the ground once finally dropped from her hand.

"And this is where I'm afraid we must say goodbye my little girl. It's sad, I didn't even get to know your name before we departed."

Spoiler

Roll ID: #105275

BD: 9 + 3 = 12 - minor crit (6 + 1 * 4 - 3 = 25)

Neo: 450/450 HP | 30/40 ENG (+1 regen; -3 sword art) | 6 DMG | 14 MIT | 4 BH | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 2 REC | 12 BLD | Paralyze I | 10 VNM

Vanilla: HP: 30/300 | 15 DMG | 3 MIT

• Venom (10 damage/turn): 3  turns

Neo felt herself being tugged out of the body, into the bushes. The haze around her eyes cleared, replaced by a view of the fight from afar. She realized she was in her own body. And though she was in control, she was still frozen in fear. The memories came flooding back towards her, the fight, her friend, her translator. It all made sense to her now. She watched as the man who she was previously inhabiting ran Vanilla through, reducing her life points to 0.

"Vanilla!" The name of her closest friend and the person who understood her best. She was now dead, lost to this death game. The man looked towards where she was hiding.

"It seems we have an audience, why don't you show them a good time girl?"

Neo thought the man was addressing her, but then there was a rustling in the bushes behind her.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #105277

BD: 4 + 3 = 7 - hit (6 * 4 - 3 = 21 damage)

MD: dead

Neo: 450/450 HP | 28/40 ENG (+1 regen; -3 sword art) | 6 DMG | 14 MIT | 4 BH | 3 ACC | 2 EVA | 2 REC | 12 BLD | Paralyze I | 10 VNM

Vanilla: HP: 0/300 | 15 DMG | 3 MIT

Neo looked behind herself to see a red haired woman, with a crazed look in her eyes. She was swinging her curved sword like a maniac. Although a blow was going straight for Neo, Vanilla as a last act got in front of it. Neo immediately got up and began to run from the two killers, not wanting to be stuck near either of them. The Town of Beginnings continued to grow further and further away. Glancing behind her, there were still the two of them chasing her. The redheaded woman with crazy eyes and the man in the cloak. She tried to run from them, but they were slowly gaining on her. Without warning, Neo stumbled through a gate, reaching the edge of the safe zone for the Town of Beginnings. Knowing their plan was foiled, the two killers begrudgingly scurried into the night. Neo returned to the center of town, remembering all the good times with Vanilla. The memories came back.

How they would laugh, how they would play, Vanilla was the person who was Neo's best translator. That was all gone, and Neo didn't even have the decency to have remembered it. She had spent the years wallowing in self pity, suppressing the memory of her friend. What other people had she forgotten, how many of her friends had died for her just so she was alive. All the cryptic messages made sense now, they all pointed towards Neo being a poor friend, letting them die. She tried to summon up the courage to make amends to them, but couldn't. It was too late for mourning now, and Neo knew it. She crawled up in a corner as the time in this mental image flew by. The two years she spent crying in alleyways passing by in minutes. But this time, she didn't forget. This time, the pain stuck with her.

It took what felt like the full two years had passed once more before Neo was finally able to control herself well enough to get into a meditative stance and calm her breathing. The pain was still there whenever she tried to quiet it out. It remained, but Neo focused for long enough that the pulling sensation took control and brought the sound of the waterfall rushing back to her ears. She opened her eyes, not even breathing heavily. She was kneeling and trembling from the emotional pain of what had happened. Even though she felt like she hadn't defeated the demon, the fourth symbol was lit and a scroll appeared in front of her. She hesitantly took it, not wanting to have a reward for the pain she went through. But it was still the reward she had come here for, the extra skill she had so desperately sought. The price she had paid was too high for her to consider, but it had already been paid. She opened the scroll and learned the skill that was inside of it.

Standing up from the pedestal, Neo felt her knees were sore. That pain did nothing to compare to what she felt in her soul though, the pain of having let her friend die for her and not even giving them the courtesy of remembering them. She had remembered that she had had a translator, but couldn't remember their name. Vanilla was that person, and they had even come into the game with her. They weren't even coming in to enjoy the game. Vanilla came in just so that she would be able to act as a translator for Neo if the rumors of it letting her speak weren't true. Once inside, the two of them had been ecstatic that she could finally talk, and Neo did to her hearts content. It wasn't until Vanilla said she would log off because her services weren't needed that the two of them had found out there was no way out.

Neo made her way solemnly out of the place she had remembered all of her pain. She didn't want to acknowledge it, but thought it would be best to go to the monument of life to ensure that the simulation wasn't just tricking her. She knew deep down that is was true, she just didn't want to have to face it. Her walk through town was long and arduous, one where she recollected every detail of that friendship. She remembered every time they went to pick flowers, every time Vanilla stood up for Neo while in school. She had been her white knight, and now she was dead. Neo wished she had done something in the moment, but couldn't figure out what she could have done. There was so little that she knew to do at that point, but if she could go back in time with the skills she had now she could take on that cloaked man and the red-haired woman with the crazy eyes. In a way, she had, and was just as frozen now as she was then

Neo arrived at the teleporter, ready to punch in her location. The first floor would be where she needed to go. She let the light engulf her, taking her into the main plaza where this death game began. She looked around in sorrow, phantoms of memories overlaying her scene as she recalled more specific memories with Vanilla. She could do nothing to make it up to her now, but at least she could do now while she did remember her. Maybe there were other people that she had forgotten on her journey here, and would be painfully brought up as well. She hoped that at least they weren't also killed, just separated for the two years they had been here. Arriving at the monument of life, she looked through the alphabetical names for Vanilla. Sure enough, there she was, listed as killed by someone by the name VictimOfTheNight. Going a little further down the list, she saw that they were still alive. She knew that one day she would find her revenge, but she also wanted to get the person who tried to kill her. There was no name she could find, but knew she would recognize those killing eyes on a red-headed woman soon enough.

Spoiler

Completed <<Calming the Soul>>: 2 SP and Meditation Unlocked

Completed 2 pages of RP: 2 SP and 800 Col