[PP-F1] Learn your basics <<The First Few Lessons are Free>>

It was times like this when Dan was reminded of the theme song for a show his parents used to watch. "So no one told you life was gonna be this waaaaayyy~" *Clap clap clap clap* It was several years after launch day for Sword Art Online and yet it seemed like Kaiyaba had just made his big announcement. That this was now their world for the foreseeable future. It was funny, it seemed how reality always seemed to eventually copy media. He couldn't tell you how many movies and shows he'd seen where if you die in X you die for real.

Well, he was determined to survive. Surviving meant getting stronger, getting stronger meant leveling up, and leveling up meant fulfilling quests and/or grinding. He always hated grinding in games, it never gave you as much XP as actually doing quests and was far duller anyhow. It took so long for him to settle in, muster up the courage, but he was going to do was complete the tutorial quests. In a game like this, he would have ignored it. I mean, what were they going to tell him that he didn't already know? "Remember to jump, jump"? But it was an easy quest that would get him started at least, with likely very little danger.

He saw the starting quest on a local ad board and followed his map to the old man's workshop. He entered and spoke to the white-haired man behind the counter.
"Hello, good sir! I hear you are the one who can teach me the ways of this land."
 The NPC chuckled. "You heard correctly, young man. You can call me Zackariah."  The old man stretched out his hand.

"Pleased to meet you." He took his hand and shook it.  "You can call me Pureblade, or Pure for short." He thought for a minute. It was funny really, two years ago he would have had to think about whether or not to give out his real name. Now people called him by it so frequently he'd gotten used to it.

The old man chuckled again. "Alright then, Pureblade. Let's get to it." He leaned down behind the counter and grabbed up various herbs and vials. "Now one of the most important things to remember in this world is survival." He went on to describe the health bar and healing mechanics of the game. He also showed him various herbs and what they were used for. Then he sent him out to gather some of them in the fields.

Dan nodded and ran out the door and towards the edge of the city. He paused for a few seconds to actually look over the quest description. He figured he'd already be done with it as he already had a few Tier 1 Mats. But looking over it he grumbled in moderate frustration and disappointment as he saw it was one of those quests where you actually had to gather the materials yourself. It made sense, it being a tutorial quest and all but still. Regardless he shrugged it off and headed out of the city to the fields.

Edited by pureblade
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hokori was waling through the town of beginnings when she noticed someone heading out. Though it was difficult to tell from this angle, there was certainly an aura of uncertainty around them. She quickly made her way to the gates, her heavy armor clanking on her, and caught up to them. "Hello there, you seem like you could use a little bit of help. Mind if I come along?" He seemed to be a bit younger than her, but age didn't really matter in a game like this. She hoped that he would accept her offer, though she would understand if he didn't. She wasn't actually that high of a level to be offering much help, but as far as she knew this floor was rather tame so she thought she would still be able to provide some assistance to others.

Hopefully, they don't end up being some high level player that just looks like it's their first time out the gates. I really shouldn't have rushed to a conclusion, but probably wouldn't have the opportunity if I didn't get here quickly.

Dan noticed the woman rushing at him and was immediately put on guard. Though as she spoke he relaxed, quickly realizing she wasn't a threat and just wanted to help out. He shrugged and spoke. "Sure, I don't mind the company. Though I gotta warn you, don't expect too much excitement. Just a level one newb coming to the tutorial party two years late. I'm off to go gather some herbs for..." He trailed off as he struggled to think of the man's name for a moment. He was always terrible at matching names to faces. "Zack something. But hey if you don't think boredom will kill you faster than say a boar, I'd be happy to have you. Name's Pureblade, or Pure for short. Whichever you prefer." He opened up his menu and sent the warrior in front of him a party invite. "And what can I call you?" He asked as he continued to head out of the city and into the forest.

Though the young man seemed a bit more confident than most, she still felt it would be a good idea to help him out. "I don't mind, could use a bit of down time anyways. Besides, I'm really not that much higher than you in level." It would be nice to finally be helping someone else rather than focusing on herself so much. Hokori accepted the party invite and offered her hand for the man to shake. "The name is Katagawa, feel free to shorten it however you like. Nice to meet you Pure." She had never really bothered with nicknames before, mostly because of how formal she had been taught to be while studying abroad. She had never wanted to appear as a negative representation of her own country, so being very formal was her way of counteracting that. Perhaps while in this game she would be able to loosen up and not be so strict with things.

@pureblade

Dan took her hand and shook it firmly, a wide smile on his face. He did find it a slightly odd that she didn't have a preference as to something so personal as her name but he just shrugged it off mentally as they continued on their journey. "If you don't mind then I'll call you Kat if that's alright." He grinned. "So I'm guessing you've done this quest before, am I right? So what's in store then? No nasty surprises I would hope." As he walked he was constantly scanning the brush and the base of the trees they passed. Pushing a low hanging branch from his out of his way he said. "I hope there isn't anyways. I mean it's the tutorial quest. Shouldn't be anything too too bad." Once he decided they were in a good spot he started to dig through the bushes in an attempt to find some of the herbs he needed.

(Roll ID: #104786, LD: 16 T1 Material Found! 1/5)

Edited by pureblade

Once pleasantries were exchanged, Hokori did her best to be informative. "There's nothing too crazy, just looking for some materials. It shouldn't take too long, but I do know that there are more quests and that might be where help would be appreciated. Don't know how familiar with games you are, but it might be I always think it's a good idea to take someone along with you if you can." HOkori began to look for some materials of her own, though she didn't have a profession yet, she figured it would be a good idea to get some materials of her own. It didn't take long, as she was able to get a couple of herbs that went into her inventory. They seemed to change into some sort of amorphous blob once there, and guessed that she could use them for just about anything rather than the purpose the exact material she gathered was for.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #104821

LD: 16 - 1x T1 Mat Found

Totals: 1x T1 Mat

@pureblade

Dan shrugged as he delicately pulled the herb free of its anchors and watched it turn into the blob. "Curious." He muttered as he poked it before putting it in his inventory. "Well I usually work alone, but I can't say the company isn't nice." He says as he struggles to remove himself from the bush. With a grunt, he finally pulls himself free, bits of twigs and leaves stuck in his hair before he brushes most of them away. "Especially when the company's as lovely as you if you don't mind me saying so." He flashes her a genuine smile before starting to root through another section of bushes. "So mind if I ask you about yourself? We can do like a trade if you like. You ask a question, I give an answer, then I ask a question and you give an answer, and back and forth we go until we get old and tired or we finish the quest. Whichever comes first." He chuckles and grins at her briefly before rooting through the bush again.

@Katagawa

(Roll ID #104822 LD: 9 Material not found. 1/5)

Edited by pureblade

As the two searched, they struck up a bit of idle chatter. with the objectives that this quest gave, there really wasn't much of anything that needed to be done. This was more busywork than anything. When Hokori was complimented, she blushed and turned away from Pure. She wasn't usually on the receiving ends of compliments while at her college, though there was certainly a fair amount of drunkards that wanted to get her number. "I don't mind, ask away. Haven't really gotten to know anyone in this game, though I have met a couple of other players." It seemed that Pure would make for a good friend for the days to come, and she did her best not to sound to overly formal as she continued to rummage from the bushes. She often had to keep a strict tone online, otherwise people would often criticize her for her gender.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #104823

LD: 9 - no materials found

Total: 1x T1 Mat

@pureblade

Dan cursed and cursed his luck as he found no more herbs in this clump of shrubbery. He sighed and moved on to another section near Katagawa so they could speak easier, without interference from the bushes. "Well, I guess the first question I'd ask is if you're alright." He asked as he dug through the twigs once more. "I know it sounds a bit of a strange question, seeing as we don't know each other well yet but, being trapped in a world where game over means the end... It can take its toll on people." The boy paused briefly in his search as he reflected on the years he'd wasted on cowardice as he hid in the Town of Beginnings for so so long. He shook it off though and continued his search. "I'd hate to find out you were just on the edge and I could have somehow done something about it."

@Katagawa

(Roll ID #104826 LD 10 No materials found 1/5)

Edited by pureblade

Hokori rummaged around for a bit, taking the time to think carefully about her answer. Realizing that there was no point hiding what she was up to, she decided not to tailor her words as much as she would in another game. They were all stuck in this game together, so it was unlikely that there would be people who would want to use the information to harm her. "I'm doing alright. I spent the last two years trying to find some way to break this game without any luck. It wasn't until recently that I decided it would be best to try and get myself to the front lines and push it as efficiently as I could. I know it isn't muich, but I do want to make sure that we can get out of here as fast as possible with as few people dying. Now that I've answered you're question I have one for you. What have you been doing these past years?"

Spoiler

Roll ID: #104827

LD: 14 - no mats

Total: 1x T1 Mats

@pureblade

Dan sighed, frustrated at the lack of herbs he was finding. He stood up and brush his hands clean. "As much as I hate to say it I think we've bled this whole area by picking two whole herbs. I'm gonna move up a little way." He pointed to a nearby cluster of bushes within earshot and headed over there, delaying answering her question as long as possible before she would lose all respect she may have had for him if she had any that is. After a few moments of rummaging in the brush, he sighed and spoke. "I am ashamed to say it, but I was a coward. For those two years I hid, so scared of dying I didn't even bother attempting the tutorial quest. I just... Sat around while people fought and died for my freedom." His fists were clenched in anger over how he'd let his fear control him for so long. So focused was he that he didn't even think to ask his next question.

(Roll ID #104829 LD 15 Mats Found 2/5)

Edited by pureblade

Hokori let Pure walk away a little bit, not wanting to force him to answer faster than he needed to. She didn't mind it so much, letting the silence take over for a time. Once he did give his answer, she didn't pressure him for another, staying in the same spot and looking for anything that either of them may have missed. She could tell that he was upset with how he had ended up not doing anything for all this time and didn't want to continue to pursue the sore topic. She instead decided to let her comforting silence be her response. She didn't have an experience to share and no reason to doubt his claim, so she instead let her company be the thing for him to rely on for now. She wasn't mad at him either, she couldn't blame anyone for collapsing and staying inside the safe zone for as long as they did. The important thing was that they have begun to make their way forward.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #104830

LD: 10 - no mats

@pureblade

Dan finally found another herb but silently collected it. No joy or mirth was to be found as he put the item in his inventory cold, mechanically. He was waiting for the other shoe to drop. For her to go off on him, to yell and shout at him. To be furious that he sat comfortably while others were dying for him... But it never came. He stood up from the bush and looked over, expecting her to be staring at him with disbelief, or at the very very least, shock or surprise. But she was just silently bent over in a bush looking for herbs. He moved over to another clump of bushes closer to her as he decided what his next question would be. As moved aside several branches in his search he spoke finally. "Y-you aren't mad?" He asks. He was afraid of her answer terrified really, but his curiosity overwhelmed those feelings for the time being.

(Roll ID #104833 LD 12 No Mats 2/5)

Edited by pureblade

Hokori continued to rummage in the same bush, letting Pure come closer to ask his question. Once he spoke, Hokori didn't need to give much thought to her answer. She spoke calmly, not wanting to come off as passive aggressive or sarcastic to him. "How could I be mad at you. Even though you may have been stuck in a pit of self-pity you pulled yourself out. That's no easy feat. If I hadn't been working on something this whole time, I would've been stuck in my own hole and likely wouldn't be out questing right now. Now, is that you're question or did you have something else in mind." She said the last part with a bit of an up-tilt in her voice, trying to bring some humor into the situation. She knew that it would be a bad idea to linger on such a sad memory, and wanted to let him get off of it however he wanted to. She had a feeling that the best way for that to happen would be for him to ask her another question. Though there was more she would like to know, that information could wait.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #104834

LD: 5 - no materials

Totals: 1x T1 mat

@pureblade

Dan can't help but smile as he looked over at Kat, despite the fact that he'd failed once again to find any herbs. He honestly hadn't been expecting her to be so... Accepting he guessed, and he really appreciated it. Maybe more people were like that. He'd have to find out. As he asked her question he grinned and shook his head at the woman. "No that was my question, it would your turn next." After thinking for a moment though he smirked. "Although... You did just ask me a question so technically it's my turn again!" He exclaimed which was followed by a laugh. He bent down and looked through the bushes once more as he thought of his next question. "I swear you're the reason we can't find any herbs." He joked. "I go over there I find some, I come back over her there is none to be found. Guess you're just unlucky." He teased. After a moment though he thought up his question. "So are you going for a particular build or anything? Like, tank or something like that for example."

@Katagawa

Roll ID #104859 LD 2 No Mats 2/5

Edited by pureblade

"I guess that would be my question then." Hokori was glad to have lightened the mood a bit more, finally getting the topic to be much less gloomy. She figured that it might be best to try and stay on the topic that Pure went for, as those would be less likely to be so touchy for him. If that failed, she didn't know what she could do. "I'm not completely sure what I'm going for yet, though I definitely plan on not going for a pure DPS build as that is likely what most of the front line is composed of. I want to make sure that I can be of some use besides just adding a few extra numbers to the raid." Hokori rifled around a little bit to give a break before asking her own question so taht Pure could process the information and not feel like he was under any pressure for the moment. "Seeing as we're on the topic, what kind of build are you going for?"

Spoiler

Roll ID: #104905

LD: 2 - no mats

Totals: 1x T1 mat

@pureblade

Dan smacked the bush in frustration as he failed, yet again to find any herbs. He thought that maybe some would be growing off some of the lower tree branches so he started looking around there for the necessary herbs. "Well, I guess DPS would be my main thing. I also kinda want to be sneaky, but I also kinda want to be scouty. I know I saw some of the future skills I can get that would help me find stuff easier and to stealth but I don't have build per se. I usually end up playing sneaky characters in games but I'll be curious to see which way I go in a game like this." After a second he can't help but laugh. "That reminds me, this one game I always use to do the stupidest build. I'd play as a race that gave me a bonus in stealth, and I'd be sneaky with a bow, but then I'd use the heaviest, most protective armor I could find." He laughed at the image of him clunking around in an effort to sneak. "So what's like the most ridiculous thing you've done in a game?" He asked.

@Katagawa

(Roll ID #104906 LD 9 No Mats 2/5)

Edited by pureblade

Hokori debated about the answer to her question as she continued to come up dry in her search for more materials. Though she wasn't disappointed in her lack of findings, she was sad that Pure wasn't able to find what he needed for the quest. "I haven't really done anything that outlandish in video games. I don't even really play them too much. For the most part I play them so I can fit in with everyone at my college, and even then I don't really. I ended up in this game because I wanted a sneak peek at this game before it went overseas so I could have an advantage. Thought I was lucky, guess it was the other way around. To give you something of an answer, the most ridiculous thing I've probably done was managing to hold my own against one of the local pro gamers in a game for a little bit. Wasn't much, but I guess it's something. Hope that answers your question." Hokori paused, thinking about her own question. "You think about what kind of profession you wanted to go for yet?"

Spoiler

ROll ID: #104907

LD: 12 - no mats

@pureblade

Dan growled slightly as his frustration morphed into anger. "Okay seriously! Who's bright idea was it to make the first tutorial mission of the game RNG based?! I mean who made this game, a sadist?!" After a moment he realized his statement. "Oh, of course, death game, silly me." He grumbled as he kicked the tree and literally sat down inside of a bush to look. He sighed as he got back to her question. "Not really." He answered. "I mean I think I do, but I'm not entirely sure." He took a few moments to look through the bush before truly answering her question. "I guess I want to work in a video game, a voice actor for some character or another. Maybe even work in the motion capture department with it. But like I said, I'm not completely certain. What about you? What are you in school for?" He asked the woman.

@Katagawa

(Roll ID #104908 LD 2 No mats. 2/5)

Edited by pureblade

Hokori continued to have as little luck as Pure in finding more materials. She wasn't so down about it, but she could tell it was beginning to frustrate him. "I just finished my Bachelor's in Nano-technical Engineering. I was about to begin work on my master's when I got stuck in this game. A shame I can't really use my skills that much in this game, but I guess it is what it is. You didn't really answer my question by the way, though I can see the confusion. I was wondering if you had considered your options for professions in the game. I know that there are player run shops and such, but I haven't really bothered to look at things to find out all the options. Just curious if you have done some research into it yet." She did want to get a second opinion, though it would probably be best if the new friends didn't pick the same one. It was always better to spread the skills around as equally as possible, rather than having one person become better at something than another.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #104909

LD: 13 - No mats

Total: 1x T1 mats

@pureblade