[PP-F8] Lost and Found

Two months. It has been two months since Pinball left his guild, wiped his Friends List, and disappeared without warning. The door to his shop had been left unlocked, but upon further investigation it was found that both food and furniture had presumably been stored in the locked kitchen. Like so many powerful players before him, Pinball had vanished. 
It's a cool night on the 8th Floor. The flickering fireflies flittered about aimlessly, yellow lights faintly illuminating the forest's pale frondescence and the settlement's dark roads. What few players that had visited such a low floor were gone now, off to different, more comfortable areas to find places to sleep for the night if they didn't have homes themselves. There was no moon tonight, but there were a splash of stars, bright and dim, hanging free in the cloudless sky. Florenthia was practically empty by now, and it had only just adjusted to the change of lighting that came with nightfall in Aincrad. The rustic lanters that lined the streets of Florenthia blazed to life, aiding the fireflies and starlight in brightening the poorly yet endearingly cobbled roads. The shadows cast in this village tonight were dark and deep, and threatened to drown a person just as much as the calm river that ran through it. The sounds of distant wildlife and the gentle rushing of water mashed together to create a rather peaceful ambience, and the night consumed all. 

@Artemis @Kataware

“At least this isn’t a jungle,” were Kataware’s thoughts as she enjoyed the cool, humid air which reminded her of the cool air conditioning in the ward office she had worked at as a temporary civil service worker. She wished that she was back at her desk, however at this rate, she would be several years older and still stuck at the same step. After all, the progression has been a total of two years for twenty-three floors cleared. At this rate, she would at least by eight years older than she had first arrived and truth be told, she was worried what could happen within eight years.

Thus, Kataware decided to visit a shop on the Eight Floor, whose cook was apparently a frontliner, in hopes of gaining some information that would let her climb at a quicker pace. As she approached the cottage that was apparently the shop, she took notice of the various benches and the signs in front of the door. She couldn’t help but smile at the third and smallest sign which read: NOTE: This isn’t actually an arcade. I make food. However, she was disappointed to see that there were no lights in the cottage and she took a seat on one of the nearby benches. She was tempted to go try the door, but she thought that it may be more beneficial to wait for a short while.

@Artemis

Artemis gave a small yawn as strolled around the eighth floor, looking for something to do. What to do? What to do? She bit her lip in frustration and sighed, there is nothing to do! Maybe if... I go shopping? That shouldn’t be so hard. Yes! She clapped her hands together and her face morphed into a determined one. Shopping! Eheh... what’s a good place to go shopping again? The player scratched the back of her neck and groaned. I have no idea what this floor is like, much less what kind of shops are here. Stupid, stupid!

Rubbing her hands together, she decided she’d go to a shop that was known in the floor. This is one way to start the day I guess. Making her way to the shop, she tilted her head as she saw another player there. Scratching the back of her head, she approached the player with a small smile. “Is the shop closed?” She asked, glancing at the empty looking cottage.

@Pinball @Kataware

Kataware looked upwards and saw a girl, only a few inches shorter than herself, with flowing white hair. Following her gaze, she turned her head towards the cottage, The Arcade. “Given the time of day - or rather, night - it probably is. Although, I wouldn’t be surprised if the shopkeep is just asleep. After all, it is a cottage.”

Kataware offered the other player a handshake. “My name’s Kataware. What’s yours and why are you here?” She didn’t bother to mince her words, simply because you don’t get too many players wandering around at this hour. Kataware was fine with waiting, pulling off many an all-nighter for essays or other projects for college and she knew firsthand how her co-workers could take quite a long time to process clients. Although, that life seemed like a lifetime ago, she looked on those memories with a passing glance fondly. She shook her head a bit as if to awaken herself from the slight stupor of the past and gave another smile to the other player.

@Artemis @Pinball

The player pouted, “I guess you’re right. It’s an unreasonable time to go shopping I suppose.” She sighed, shaking her head. Gosh darn it. I wanted to eat something before I went on a major shopping spree. Why is life so cruel?

Artemis grinned and extended her hand, not fazed by the bluntness. “It’s Artemis, nice to meet you Kataware. Interesting naming by the way.” She shrugged and gave a small smile, “I dunno, I just wanted to get something to eat before I did some stuff. I heard this place is pretty good anyways.” Peering at the shops door, she chuckled and tapped her fingers against her arm. “So why are you here? I mean, for food obviously, duh. But any particular reason why this place?” 

Forgetting about a special someone, she scooped up her familiar from wherever it was and grinned, “This is Ailuros by the way, Luros for short. Say hi Luros!” She picked up her familiars paws and ‘waved’ it at the stranger. Her cat gave a mewl of protest before twitching her ears in defeat.

@Kataware

Too long. Coming back after this feels wrong. Pinball sat leaned against the base of the tree that overlooked the forest clearing, nestled between the mighty oak's gnarled roots. He had been too nervous to seek out his old friends. If they even counted as that. Initially, he hadn't emptied his Friend List. He disappeared for a bit, dropping contact, and in his depressive mood checked every hour or so to see if someone had checked in on him. They hadn't. And why should they have? He had done and said horrible things in the past, and he had, at least in his own eyes, owned up to his actions. But that didn't make it any better. Not for anyone. In one of his fits he officially dropped off the face of Aincrad. Wiped his Friends List, left his guild. It was hard, initially, and he had been forced to confront things that upset him. But eventually he grew content with his self-induced isolation, and happily wasted two months of his life away. 

So why the hell am I coming back? He had arrived at the clearing hours ago, but couldn't make himself enter his own shop. Was it guilt? Anxiety? He didn't know, and he had drifted into sleep with these thoughts repeating themselves in his mind. He woke up to the sound of the leaves. The cool midnight breeze combed through the forest clearing, rustling the long grass and thick branches, and adding to the game's nighttime ambience. It was only later that he heard the sound of voices. He peeked from behind his tree to see two girls talking. Pinball frowned, pulled his cloak low over his face, and pushed himself deeper into the tree roots. Twigs snapped as he settled, and his boots scraped against the dirt and crushed fallen leaves. He didn't realize it, but the empty forest replied to these comparatively small sounds with a resounding echo.  Why are they here? 

Stealth: ID# 105300  LD: 2 
Stealth Rating: 2 + 1 (Low Light) = 3 

Edited by Pinball

When Artemis held out the kitten Ailuros, Kataware held her hand out and pet the familiar behind its ears, scratching its scalp lightly. “Well Artemis, I’m here because I wanted to meet the cook of the establishment.” Kataware chose to neglect mentioning her reasons behind trying to meet the player. After all, simply going to random shops in order to find a possibly new frontliner in the middle of the night could be seen as suspicious by anyone, regardless whether or not they were in a safezone at the moment. Plus, she kept in mind that the previous dozen shops also held no yield, despite the rumors that she had heard within the taverns.

“However, I know a few people live in their shops, plus this is a cottage. I wouldn’t be surprised if the player was asleep at this time of night, so I was just content with waiting out here.”

ID: 105419 [ ] LD: 3

Stealth Detection: 3 - 1 (Darkness) = 2

(( <<Failed to Detect Pinball’s stealth.>> ))

Edited by Kataware
Rolled and formatted

“Oh really? I never met him before,” she shrugged, pulling her cat back with a small smile. “Why, is he famous or something? I seriously don’t pay attention to anything that happens around here,” Artemis scratches her chin sheepishly and stifled a laugh. She turned her head to the shop and sighed, did he go missing or something? I swear this place was up and running not too long ago. She frowned and turned her attention back to the person in front of her.

”Yeah, I suppose you’re right though. We can always come back in the morning,” she suggested, “or we could just-“ A faint sound made her ears prick, “did you hear that? I heard that!” She turned to her familiar with wide eyes and asked, “you heard that, right?!”

Her eyes scanned the area, not making out much due to the time of day, but she swore she saw something. “Whoever or whatever is out there, come out or I will unleash my fury on you!” She shouted meekly, a frown on her face.

ID : 105420

LD : 17 + 3 = 20 - 1 (Darkness) = 19

<<Pinball Detected>>

@Pinball @Kataware

Edited by Artemis
  • 3 weeks later...

He flinched at the accusing shouts. Pinball pushed himself even further up against the tree, grinding his teeth together. Ooo, busted. Pinball frowned. This is exactly what I didn't want to happen. He hesitated, then snorted as an idea came to mind. This is so stupid. 
Pinball started climbing up the tree. Halfway up, he quit though. That's too weird. By that point there had been an uncomfortable silence that enveloped the clearing, and it'd be pretty awkward to just stick his head out and say "What's up." 
There was his problem. Pinball slid back down to take a seat, and just... flopped onto his side, exposing the upper half of his body to the two players who sat in front of his cottage. "Heyy~," he croaked, grass sticking to his fluffy white jacket as he turned over to face the two, still lying on the ground. "How are you all doing tonight?" It was a bizarre sight to be sure, but Pinball kept a straight face the entire time. 

Kataware started looking around the treeline, trying to find what spooked Artemis. However, she could see nothing. “Hear what?” Kataware stepped in front of Artemis to put something in between the little girl and what she had heard.

When the player showed himself, she had ended up recognizing the player. The male with the cat in a jar. As Kataware inspected the player, she noticed that the man was wearing nothing above his waist other than a jacket which prompted her to cover Artemis’ eyes as Kataware spoke up. “Hey, Zomekko’s owner. Long time no see. How are you doing tonight?”

Is this really the frontliner some people have been talking about? That nonchalant guy? Although, things began to click for Kataware. The fact that he wore no armor or any weapons to begin with and the fact that he had an air of indifference around him when they first met. It must have been like child’s play to him.

@Artemis