[ PP - 02 ] Fourth Time is the Charm? <<Feeding the Enemy>> w/ Black

Ptolemy felt like he had just been run over by an eight wheeled truck. I hate bloody mornings. He inwardly groaned, rubbing his eyes with a grin look. Blasted sleep schedule and whatnot. He yawned and blinked a few times to get adjusted to the morning light. He pulled his scarf closer to him and sighed. What was I going to do again? Oh yeah. That quest I never finished. He grimaced as he remembered spending almost half the day in the forest, replaying a bunch of stories in his head. I am certain that I was going crazy at the time. He looked at the entrance of town, feeling his confidence go down the drain. What if I’m out there for another four hours doing nothing? 

Blasphemymaybe I should actually find someone to help me with this. He scanned the crowd of players and NPC’s that occupied the town. His brows furrowed as he spotted a familiar shade of hair and a dark skin tone. Wait I minute... is that Black?  

@Black

Edited by Ptolemy

Black was digging around through a list of vanity song recording crystal variants in a music store on the second floor. Most of the players were of African descent and engaged in rap battles and were competing against one another and recording the events to be saved. The incessant vibes of hip-hop brought out a vivacious culture within the underground of Aincrad. 

Black began to bob his head to the trap beat instrumentals that were being played with a unique blend of Samurai styled instrumentals in the background. This was the infamous Lofi HipHop beat that Black appreciated as he bought a few sound crystals to take for the road. 

Black then grabbed a bag of goodies he had brought to snack on, being the king of gluttony, as his munched down on an Aincrad Cheesesteak. He looked through the crowd with a casual gait as manuveured around the outskirts to view the farmland and search for some goodies. 

As he was picking up a pair of juniper berries, he lifted his head to notice Ptolemy. He gave him a head nod and beckoned him over to chat. 

He was dressed in casual vanity clothes, opted for a more modern street look, brandishing some sneakers on his feet of all things and a hoodie, along with a bright yellow backpack. 

"Hey, what's up man. It's been a little minute. Glad to see you're still alive and staying out of trouble. Things going smooth for you these days? I'm just out here trying to hustle up ingredients so I can cook them up at the Ichiban. I need to get my levels up there." He grins politely. 

@Ptolemy

LD-18 + (3) 

Total T1 Mats Found: 1 

Edited by Black

OOC: Just gonna assume that it’s around 8-ish

Ptolemy blinked, registering the words that had filled with ears. A little minute..? Hustle up- you know what, whatever. “It’s good to see you alive and well well also,” He grinned, actually glad that he knew someone in this town. “I’ve been relatively... alright. Oh, right. I’ll be looking forward to it when you open. I’m sure you’ll be make fine food,” Ptolemy blinked a few times but focused on Black. “So you’re just on floor two for gathering? Seems pretty early in the morning to be gathering,” he exclaimed, trying to stop himself from inwardly groaning at the word ‘morning’. 

Hate the mornings. Never liked them. Displeasing hour to be awake at. I’ve last track of the amount of times I’ve done all-nighters and the mornings after we’re Hell itself. He shuddered, If it weren’t for coffee, I’d be passing out left and right. “You seem to be doing alright, I suppose?” Ptolemy shook himself out of his thoughts and focused his attention on his peer.

@Black

Black was equipped with a very verbose lingo that he just expected everyone to understand. It didn't feel to extreme, at least to him. It rolled off the tongue so naturally. Everyone back home seemed to talk in this manner. He felt everything sounded better with at least a little street flavor to spice it up. 

Black was actually surprised to meet someone he had spent time with a second time in this game. Most of the time he spent training under Hestia and usually he never got to meet other people he had adventured with more than twice. 

It was a bit comforting to him . He enjoyed the concept of having familiar acquaintances . 

"Thanks, man. Yeah, I just put up a few flyers. We're accepting donations for the cause. All contributions will play a role in supporting the frontlines on their raids. Even a rank one cook like me can whip up a few items like accuracy and evasion bonuses to give our boys and girls the edge." He lifted the corner of his cheeks in a grin. 

His hands rummaged through fields searching for more items. He was a diligent person who tried to multitask and operate as efficiently as possible. 

"Yeah, I'm good. Things have been going well. You get a chance to check out any of the useful quests? They got some called The Gemini, Calming the Soul, some quests where you punch rocks, and this one that most players say is a real drag but worth the suffering called Feeding the Enemy...most players just give up. Hard to get one unless you're really lucky." He admits. 

LD: 1 +(3) = 4 (Fail)

@Ptolemy

Edited by Black

“That’s fascinating. You’re so new to being a cook and yet you’re already starting to get ready to serve the frontliners?” He mimicked his grin. “Must be pretty cool thought. Did you ever Perdue any career that involved food in the real world? You seem pretty passionate about it.”

”Not just yet. This is still my first video game, like ever.” He deadpanned and sighed. “So I’m just taking baby-steps for now. Nothing too drastic just yet.” Sweatdropping at sound of a particular quest, he shrugged. “Oh really? I wouldn’t know... ha ha,” he chuckled nervously but piped up after a few seconds. “But I am actually taking the quest.” For the second time. “Let’s just hope I get lucky this ti- I mean, abnormally lucky.” Ptolmey sputtered our the few last words sheepishly. “Have... have you tried any of the harder quests? You look like you have improved, at a much faster rate than me of course.”

@Black

Edited by Ptolemy

Black shined his ivory teeth at Ptolemy and ran his sable digits through his blonde mane. "Well, when you say it like that. It sounds like a pretty badass way to start off. I think it's a nice plus that they would then be able to use other gear and optimize their builds to their full potential. " 

He then listens to Ptolemy's inquiry about his hobby. "Oh hell yeah. I stay in the kitchen if I can. I think that's the only thing I really didn't care much for about the military barracks. They were like tiny motels. No stove or anything. Most Marines just went to restaurants or ordered out. Every now and again you can eat the food at the mess hall. Not going to lie the cooks are pretty good. " 

He then blinked in response to the man's words. "Ohh shi- dang...that's not good. I hope you don't play like how it goes when I try to get other new people to hop on certain games..they just get wrecked. " He chuckles lightly. "Best part is though, you don't have to actually go outside the lower floors if you don't want to...hell some players just stay on floor one and they'll scrounge up whatever col they can get from odd jobs.' 

Black then hums at Ptolemy's question as he says. " If you're looking for the familiar. Let's get moving. We'll go out in the woods. Grab some food from good old mother nature. It'll take a patient mind and spirit but we'll get there. Just make sure to grab whatever items you can find. Grab and go. For the quest you'll have to feed the pet. It's smart to set out bait. Whatever we don't use I can use for the restaurant. Sound good? Besides that quest is boring to do alone." Black says as he continues to go on ahead and rummage for more materials. 

@Ptolemy

ID-107113 LD-1 (Gathering Fail)

Edited by Black

“Not to mention you would already have some connection to frontliners. That can be useful in the future if you ever plan to join the frontlines,” he mused. “You’ll already be familiarized with everyone already, so that could be eventful.”

”Did you prefer the military over cooking?” He asked. “It seems like you would rather cook than join the military. I suppose I don’t know your whole story though,” he shrugged his shoulders. I shouldn’t be assuming stuff so much when I barely know anything about him.

”Indeed, it is... bad. I’ve been getting used to it though. Nothing I can’t do if I have time.” He smiles cheekily at Black before nodding. “I don’t plan on being a coward and just stand in the frontliners shadows. Not saying that I would want to be up there, no. But I want to at least contribute to their cause, even if it’s a tiny gesture.”

”That sounds like a good plan.” Ptolemy skimped slightly as he released he was indeed, not alone this time. Those few hours were like hell to me

ID: 107114

LD: 4 + 2 = 6, Fail

@Black

Edited by Ptolemy

Black begins to let Ptolemy's words sink in. "You know, Blue, I think you're on to something. That is a good way to connect with the troops. Nothing wins the hearts and minds like a good meal. Trust me. I know all too well about shitty rations. [censored]...I would be overjoyed to even have a bag of skittles or enjoy the taste of M&Ms over bull*[censored] crackers and fake peanut butter. " He laughs. "In all actuality though, the peanut butter was pretty good. But most food you heat up with chemicals in a bag...yeah, something don't sound too right. " Blacl laughed. "But then again...I'm just serving digital meat and veggies...so I can't exactly talk. " 

In response to Ptolemy's question, Black just laughs. "Do I sound like I don't like the big green weenie most people get f***ed with in the Marines?" Black bursts into a fit of laughter. "I'm probably just a salty Grunt.  I mean hell...you try living in a place and staying stationed out there like on floor five. Those deserts are a wasteland, man." 

"And look at you, I can feel the motivation. That's good stuff man. We all got something with fighting for. Once these lab rat days are over...I personally got plans to shove my foot so far up Kayaba's a**, he'll be shitting toenail clippings..." Black states bluntly as he forages through the forest for materials. "You got cooking items for this above a +2 LD? I got some fresh food from The Ichiban. I can let it go for 400 Col. Takes a lot to luck up with one. "

ID-107119 LD-7 (+3) (Gather fail)

@Ptolemy

Edited by Black

"Intriguing nickname,” he muttered, letting Black continue. “It sounds uncanny. I am honestly more concerned if the foods you ate were actually good for you. For all you know, it could hold some sort of disease. The food you described seemed like something out of a post-apocalyptic era,” he huffed, his lips pressing into thin lines.

“You never know,” Ptolemy shrugged. “Just because nature looks nice doesn’t mean it has the potential to kill you. Same with anything really.” He said with a small smile on his face. "Correct. I do admit that floor seven is harsh. Given that it’s not even that high of a floor.” 

“Motivation wouldn’t be the word I would use but whatever suits you,” he mused. “That would certainly be an interesting sight to see, but I think I’ll pass on it.” Ptolemy shook his head no, “I’m fine, I have a latte that’s a +3 in Loot Die, so I think I’ll be alright. And talking about lattes,” he paused, taking it out from his inventory. “I guess I should use it before I regret it.” He mumbled, slowly taking sips from it.

ID: 107120

LD: 8 + 3 + 2 = 13, Fail

Tio lazy to hold it rn

@Black

Edited by Ptolemy

Black simply shot a toothy grin at Ptolemy. He knew with his knack for ebonics he'd never for the life of him be able to pronounce the man's name. Besides...he had more striking features that were selling points. Who wouldn't want to be named after a color? 

"You like it? I remember me and a group of friends were like a bunch of crayons. Everyone in the group went by a certain color. Started with Red. Then Blue. Then Black. It was actually pretty dumb. We all had pineapple symbols for our stuff. " 

He then began to laugh at how silly his life was. "Yeah, we had a lot of themes. Power rangers and other silly s***. You come up with a lot of dumb stuff when you're bored." Black smiled at the man. 

"Nature does suck. Goodness...just wait until I tell you about Bridgeport." 

He then found some more herbal ingredients. "That'll make a nice tea." 

He turns to Ptolemy. "Hey by the way,I have three separate +1 LD trinkets if you need to fill a slot. O call the collection my " Poor man's LD +3 kit." 

@Ptolemy

He then offers one  to the man in a trade menu. "Just give it back when done." 

Spoiler

Name: Third Eye 

Item Type: Trinket
Tier: 1
Quality: Uncommon
Enhancements: Loot Die 1
Description: A Gold Trinket in the form of an eye while the iris is a yellow Crystal.

ID- 107121 - LD 11 (+3) +(1) "Multipurpose" Estate Buff 

Total Mats gathered: 2

Edited by Black

Ptolemy pulled on a strand of his hair. “I suppose my hair is an iconic feature of mine. Abnormal, even. Hm, that sounds pretty cool. I suppose your color was a sort of yellow?” He joked. “I was always busy, but I would occasionally get bored sometimes, so I get what you were feeling.” 

“So it is.” He tilted his head. “I am unsure if I want to know since you made it sound like a genocide,” he said, a small but nervous smile plastered on his face. Picking up a wad of material, he looked back at Black. “So what food did you specialize in back in the real world? You sound like you had a lot of experience with different types of food but I’m awfully curious.”

”Oh, thanks. It’s much appreciated,” Ptolemy nodded gratefully. “Yeah, I promise I’ll return it.” Just after I get his blasted familiar once and for all.

ID: 107122

LD: 15 + 3 + 2 = 20, Success

Total Mats: 1

@Black

Edited by Ptolemy

Black chuckles at Blue's remark. That's what he has officially dubbed the man. Blue. "Yes, very iconic...and I had sometimes when I was called 'Yella' or light skinned or whatever. Big blondey. Bunch of silly names." He disclosed. "Most of the time it was babyface because I look crazy young despite the fact I'm 26 and have the facial features of a 18 year old. " Black suddenly realized something that made him facepalm. "Or am I almost thirty...[censored] I stopped counting after we got in the game. How long have we even been here? " He inhaled lightly before blowing out a breath. "Still a lot to take in" 

"As for that well, I'd say Barbeque, being from Texas. We got a lot of Southern Style meals. Seafood as well, considering I learned from a Louisiana man. My dad is the best cook in the family. Hands down." 

@Ptolemy

ID-107124 LD-2 (Fail)

Edited by Black

“Your combination of hair and skin tone is indeed odd. You don’t usually find something like that often in the real world. It’s actually quite fascinating. Odd, but very unique.” Ptolemy said, a smile forming on his face. His brows rose up at the mention of his age. “I did not expect that. I am currently only twenty-two, I honestly thought you were younger than me. Weird, is it not?” Ptolemy shrugged. “Time does go faster when you’re stuck in a virtual reality death game that uses swords,” he joked, attempting to lift the somber mood.

”Interesting, I'll try to see if there are any restaurants like that in Berlin when I- we get out. I’d like to try a lot of things.” He paused, “I guess you like to do a lot more things in your life when you’re wedged in between the two thin lines of life and death.” 

ID: 107126

LD: 20, Success

Total Mats: 2

@Black

Edited by Ptolemy

"Thanks. I appreciate the complement. It is pretty rare. But I like the vibes. I guess it's what makes us special huh?" Black said as he walked through the forest with his hands in his pockets. He pulled out a candy lollipop and decided to unwrap it and taste the cherry flavor. 

He then pulled out a sandwich from his pack, then offers it to Black. "Hungry? It's like a Philly cheesesteak...but from Aincrad. I guess that makes it an Aincrad Cheesesteak. " Black laughs. 

He casts Ptolemy a second glance. "Hey, you had college student vibes written all over you. You big into astrology and geology? I picked up on that little detail, Blue. You been studying the stars here and getting a vibe of time?" He asks laughing lightly. 

"If there's anything I got to try when I get out of here...it's oktoberfest...or however you say it."

@Ptolemy

ID-107127 LD-19 

Total Mats gathered: 3

Edited by Black

“Oh, I’m a pharmacy student. Astrology is more like a hobby,” he explained with a chuckle. “I guess I have been into stars and whatnot for a long time.” He mumbled, shrugging his shoulders.

He glanced around the area in search of any materials when he saw something moving in the air. Making out a winged creature, he sighed. It’s just a dragon... thing. He turned his head away from it before reality kicked in. His eyes widened with realization for a moment. Wait a bloody moment. A dragon? He whipped his head over the serpent-like figure. “Bloody hell, it’s a dragon.” He looked back at Black, “I’m not going blind right? Please tell me you see that thing!” He pointed to the dragon, who was lazily lounging around on a tree branch.

Taking deep breaths, Ptolemy glanced at the dragon before frowning. “What the hell do I feed it? What do you feed a mythological creature?” He sighed and pressed his palm against his head. Do Dragons eat meat? Right? Or was it fish? Whatever, they’re both types of meat anyways. He searched his inventory and pulled out a small mackerel from <<Who Knows Where>>.

Ptolemy inhaled sharply before walking right up to the dragon-like creature. “Er. Hello. Nice to meet you, I’m Ptolemy.” Great, you’re going crazy now, Klaus! He slowly reached the fish out to the creature before sighing in relief. That’s a good sign, I’m not dead yet. Hah! The blue tinted creature tilted its head before slowly grabbing the fish. Another good sign, still not dead! 

Ptolemy squinted at the creature before looking back at Black. “Is this how it’s supposed to work?” He whispered-yelled across the area between them. Looking back at the creature, he realized that the fish had disappeared. That’s not odd... at all. He raised a brow at the dragon before slowly reaching out his head to stroke its head. His face lit up when it obliged and let him rest his hand on its head. I am at loss for words.

He quickly realized that he had tamed a familiar. Oh Lord, I feel like I’m going to pass out from anxiety. He turned back to his peer and gave a thumbs up.

ID: 107129

LD: 13 + 3 + 3 = 19 

WOO!

@Black

Edited by Ptolemy

"Right, I thought you might be. With all the talk about big pharma. Biggest drug dealers in all of the U.S." Black laughs making allusions that Pharmacists were corrupt in the states. "Capitalism at it's finest. The prices stay pretty high when they are a lot cheaper in other countries. But hey...supply and demand and what are you going to do? Buy a plane ticket to go get cure? Pfft. As if. " He laughed softly. "But hey it takes a lot to learn that stuff I mean we pay athletes more and they don't do nearly as great a job for the world. But oh everybody is a jock fanboy. Not too many Doc fanboys in the States." 

"Oh, fu-...hey listen man, I'm no astrologist but even I can tell the stars lined up for you. I haven't even seen a dragon...and it has snake like vibes...is that...a Leviathan? Like from Final Fantasy? That's pretty dope bro. You better keep that and take good care of it." 

Black smiles warmly to his companion. "Oh, snap look out! I think it's going to bite!" He joked from behind the scenes. 

This was Ptolemy's moment and Black was super happy for the man. He watched as the dragon did something surreal and Ptolemy shot him a thumbs up. 

"You know..I hear a lot that I'm a lucky person to be around, but damn, we did really well on this hunt. You did your thing man. I'm proud of you striving to make it where others give up. How's it feel to be blessed with success. Any words for the people?" He says mocking a reporter with a microphone towards Ptolemy. 

@Ptolemy

Ptolemy coughed into his shoulder as he returned to black with his familiar ‘floating’ behind him. “Thanks. I really couldn’t have done it without you,” he grinned greatefully at Black. What’s Final Fantasy? “I suppose. Yeah, it does indeed look pretty cool,” Ptolmey mumbled, poking his familiar with his index finger, making it wriggle in the air.

“Please, no flash photography,” he chuckled, covering his face. Peeking from the cracks of his hands, he shrugged. “It does feel nice to finally have one though.” Why is it that when I try to do this quest, I get no luck whatsoever. I guess  Black really is lucky. Or I’m just cursed with bad luck or something. 

“What should I name him?” I’m pretty sure it’s a ‘him’ at least. He looked at Black, “got any ideas?” I feel as if I’m not creative enough to come up with names. He sighed, taking a closer look at his familiar. “I am all out of ideas.”

@Black

Black laughs at the Pharmacist's shenanigans and then hums lightly at Ptolemy's question. "Well if your name is based on astronomy and the stars and such. Maybe your dragon should be too? Like named after a planet.. I know there is an Elder Dragon God of stars known as Aurelion Sol. " He then looks to the dragon as he ponders more names. 

"Tiamat...Fafnir... Saphira, Eldunari...Luna.." Those are other ideas. "Levi could work too. " Black walks around the floating animals scrutinizing it. "Bahumut was the most badass dragon from Final Fantasy. " Black pauses as he wondered how many other dragons there were. "Just maybe don't bring him...or...or her along to any of the dragon hunting quests...they might turn on you and bite you. " He laughs as he goes on to try to grab more food from the field. "Speaking of quests. Maybe we should do one tomorrow? What do you think? The ebony haired Samurai said looking back to the blue haired dragon tamer. 

ID-107204 LD-15 

Total Mats gathered: 4 

Edited by Black

“You know strangely a lot about astronomy,” he chuckled, taking his words into consideration. “I suppose you are right though, it would be thoughtful to name him something that involves astronomy. There is a constellation named Draco, and was coincidently found my Ptolemy himself. But I don’t think naming a dragon that means dragon in another language is such a good idea.” He searches in his head for a few seconds. “There are a few constellations I know of that are near Draco. Perhaps Cygnus, Cepheus, or Hercules,” Ptolemy mumbled. “I know of a sort of long named one called Camelopardalis. Do any of these sound good to you?” He looked up at Black and grinned sheepishly.

”I’ll take that into consideration,” he looked at his familiar. “I don’t think he’d like to see his kind getting slaughtered anyways.” He turned to Black and nodded, “of course. I have to repay you anyways. About that...” he took off the borrowed ring and handed it to him. “Much thanks for that, too.”

ID: 107218

LD: 1, Failure

@Black 

Edited by Ptolemy

Black twists his lips at Ptolemy's statement. He wasn't sure if he knew a lot about astrology. He was mostly just winging it with perhaps tiny bits of trivia knowledge. "Stars and stuff get pretty interesting.. especially when people start to realize how much influence they had on religions. Zoroastrianism and even before that. Mesopotanians...Egypt...ancient civilizations are fascinating. " 

Black chuckles at Ptolemy's mention of Draco and mumbles. "Draco...Draco Malfoy...isn't that like a Harry Potter name or something?" He laughs. He then listens to the slew of names brought forth. "Well, Cepheus sounds a lot like Syphillis so hellllllll no!" He cackles. "Hercules is a no go. I think of nutty professor. Also, I don't think it fits here. But Cygnus. Yes, Cygnus! That one is a real gem." 

He nods in affirmation. "I think it suits you quit well. It almost sounds like the name of a mage of pretty badass arts. That's the vibe you want to go for. Cygnus. Strong -and- smart sounding. "

He goes to take his ring and smiles. "Glad to be of service. I could always use mats. I got a +3 Prosperity or Ambition item on my wishlist. " He comments. 

Spoiler

ID-107220 

LD-18 -Success

Total Mats Gathered: 5

@Ptolemy

Edited by Black