[Floor 22/PP] A mentor and a friend

It was the day after the guild she had most recently joined, Guardians of the New Dawn, had gone on a massive hunting spree that had taken all day. At the time, the girl had been excited and it had been an amazing experience. For someone who had prided themselves on knowledge, she had very few times of applying her knowledge. It had been one of those days, and she had learnt a lot, and done a lot…

After the hunt however, while the rest of the guild went their own ways, Jinx didn’t make it out of the door. Instead of leaving, the girl had made her way to HIS best, taken her eye-patch and earmuffs off, and flopped into his bed as if it was her own. She had curled up in the covers, without a moments hesitation, and fallen asleep.

As morning came around, the girl was buried under the blanket, oblivious to the rest of the world and, most importantly, the person whose bed she had stolen.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, Jinx said:

It was the day after the guild she had most recently joined, Guardians of the New Dawn, had gone on a massive hunting spree that had taken all day. At the time, the girl had been excited and it had been an amazing experience. For someone who had prided themselves on knowledge, she had very few times of applying her knowledge. It had been one of those days, and she had learnt a lot, and done a lot…

After the hunt however, while the rest of the guild went their own ways, Jinx didn’t make it out of the door. Instead of leaving, the girl had made her way to HIS best, taken her eye-patch and earmuffs off, and flopped into his bed as if it was her own. She had curled up in the covers, without a moments hesitation, and fallen asleep.

As morning came around, the girl was buried under the blanket, oblivious to the rest of the world and, most importantly, the person whose bed she had stolen.

Owch, [censored]...

Sky wakes up, groaning as multiple bones crack, his head rising off his soaked pillow. He had woken up in the night with tears running down his face, a dream of the memories he had shared with Katherine running through him like a dagger. He sat up, taking a deep breath as he wipes them off his face. Everything had been going south for him recently... He sighed, lookign around, wondering why he wasn't on his bed. His chest hurt, having taken soem hard hits the other day. Sure, it was just phantom pain as it wasn't real as he hadn't lost to much HP, but... Still.

He then remembered why he wasn't on his bed, Jinx having been laying there, sleeping. She ahd come over and fallen asleep on his bed for a second night in a row after the hunting trip... Which had gone well, for the most part. He had noticed she wasn't... experienced in the fight. She had made a few errors... He couldn't correct them. Not during the fight. He had been busy fighting a creature that could probably have instantly killed the entire other party had he and Hei failed... But there was another reason.

If he had tried, and failed... Like he had before... He would have been responsable for a second death. Eatos had been ... No, Katherine had been scared of fighting, and he had pushed her into it... So far, it didn't seem like Jinx had the same fear, but, she still wasn't as experienced as himself... She might never be. But... he wanted to teach her how to fight, though if it went the same way...

I should get some help.... Maybe Hestia, she's a frontline worthy fighter, and a alright friend. Alisea wants to be a tank... so maybe she could help...

He groaned as he sat up on the couch, grabbing the singlet that laid right on the table next to his couch. Putting it on, he opened his menu, finding Hestia and sending her a message.

Spoiler

Hey Hestia... Umm, i kind of need some help. S...something happened recently... and it was my fault... I'm worried it might happen twice... I'v got a friend at my house right now, she wants to be a tank though she doesn't know what she is doing... If i try and teach her... I'm.. not qualified for it... Could you help us?

@Hestia

After sending that, he walked over to his kitchen, starting to make breakfast for three people, making some eggs with some herbs mixed into it, heated over a fire in a pan. It was being cooked nicely, so he started to make a salad while it slowly prepared itself.

I close my eyes as i lay upon my bed just looking upwards towards the ceiling having retired to my shop for the night having needed some time to contemplate and think on the events of the twenty third boss fight and the repercussions of everything that had followed suit from it. 'Too many things are going to be changing, and people are probably not going to trust one another for awhile. I am going to need to try and establish some sense of trust with everyone that way we can at least have a base to work from. Remove anybody that could be a problem also.' I think to myself as i just look up towards the ceiling in thought wondering where to even begin with that since there would be way to much ground to cover in just talking to everyone individually, but also having to deal with the fact of not having a way to be in contact with everyone at a moment's notice. I hear a small little notification go off as i glance my head over towards the side seeing the name of Stryder pop up as i furrow my brows ever so slightly in curiosity as i open up the message that follows. I glance over the message a few times before letting out a soft sigh as i get out of bed and grabs a teleport crystal as i get myself looking at least presentable as a serious frontline fighter or at the minimum a good teacher.

Spoiler

@Stryder

i'll come on over just send the floor/location and i'll be there in a lil bit take into account some time for if i get lost.

'Doesn't hurt to start with people who are new, plus i guess i now have two apprentices in theory instead of the one. At the very least it'll be a different then other days.' After about 30 minutes i take the crystal and activates the simple command phrase to take me to wherever the home floor, or just general floor of where Stryder would want to meetup and than head to that location along with having my familiar at my side while i do so. A lion with fur as white as snow, and wings as black as the night.

Jinx was curled up in the cover and pillows of Stryders bed, unaware how another could see it given she had taken over the leader of an entire guilds bed. The implications were completely lost on the girl, but there was a different memory that she was reliving.

“What do you mean?” She could hear her mothers voice echo throughout the white hallway. The hall had a very clean feeling, the air itself was smooth to breath, but the lights! They were too sharp and, even at the young age of 4, the girl was covering one of her eyes with her hand to stop the sharp light from hurting as much!

“I’m afraid it’s what I said” The doctor sounded tired, but Alisea couldn’t see his face behind the door. Her parents had left her behind, sitting on the seat outside the office “We were able to save her life thank to the procedures, however…her cognitive processes are very different to standard. Her input process is seemingly accelerated…”

“What does this mean for our daughter! She screamed when a car with its headlights drove past, crying that it was too sharp. Colours aren’t sharp, the hell is…” Her fathers’ voice was always loud, and the girl flinched as the noise threw a stabbing pain into her head!

“Sir, I’m explaining it the best I can. However we’re learning it the same time as you. We all knew the procedures we performed for Alisea were experimental, and the side effects are still unknown…”

In the bed, the girls body started to seemingly react to her memories, reliving them as vividly as if it was the day itself. She was burying herself more and more in the covers, as if they would allow her to escape the memory of her family…and how much of a burden she was upon them.

Sky was still cooking, his mind running when Hestia sent the message back. He hit himself in the head, forgetting he didn't tell her where to come. He opened up, replying to her message.

Spoiler

Oh, sorry...  I'm on my shop on the 22 floor, its near a lake about a twenty minute walk along the road, then a turn off towards a large lake. Its not really furbished yet... You won't miss it

After he sent that, he kept making food, cooking three different eggs mixed with some herbs along with making a rather large salad. Then... He remembered Alisea's appetite. She eats.... a lot. He smiled, the first smile that had graced his face since.... Well. Last night. Not for any reason... But it had made him happy to see Jinx for the day. He had spent the last three days with her, if he included today. And honestly, for the last few weeks, it was the only few days he had been happy. He wondered how today was going to go... He had to have something done...

He then heard footsteps, it having been a fair while since he messaged hestia. He looked at the eggs, which ahd been cooking nice nd slowly over the fire. They were ready, perfectly made... In his opinion, the white nice and hard, while the yolk still soft. He took it off the fire, leaving it next to it so that it would stay warm and nice, the salad next to it. He walked out of his kitchen, walking downstairs towards the door, opening it up for Hestia. He put on a weak smile as he looked at her, only wearing trackies and a singlet, very casual clothes.

"Hey Hestia... thanks for coming.... Come in, i made something to eat..." He said to her, standing aside as he let her in.

I make my way to the small shop owned by Stryder at a relaxed pace wearing my normal casual clothes of a blue jacket, black pants, and grey shirt not really having any repercussions for wearing some of the same clothing day by day since the game is just that a game. I look towards the man in front of me and offers a gentle smile towards the man's weakened look as i put a gentle hand upon his shoulder to show some kind of support. My familiar deciding to make himself right at home as soon as possible having smelled food as the lion makes his way into the building and towards the food. So than Stryder. What is up? What happened? I ask the man in a concerned tone of voice knowing i haven't talked to him much if barely more than something taht could constitute a paragraph or two of words, but in the end he was a person in need and i won't turn my back on those in need. 'Though i am curious how i am going to even give tanking tips since it is a game it is just gonna end up being me listing off skills.' I think to myself with some self-doubt about what to say or do in this situation since it seems like this could make or break somebody's life within this g ame.

“Her brain seems to amplify the signals she receives from her primary inputs” The doctor was saying as Alisea started to open the door to the office, wanting more and more to see the people talking about her.

“The hell did this happen? I thought you said the worst side effects would be physical….” Her fathers anger had seemed to vanish as she managed to get her hand around the silver doorknob, which felt warm and sweaty at the touch of it.

“As I said sir, everything we did was experimental. We could only estimate the side effects that Alisea would have, we honestly couldn’t have predicted what would happen to her. The operation mostly focused on getting her body to speed up with growth acceleration..”

Alisea managed to make it inside the door, and everyone turned to face the door that had opened. Even covering one of her eyes, she could see the look of pain clearly on her dads face, but most confusing was her mothers. She didn’t understand it at the time, being only 4 years old, but now in her dream, she could tell it was a weird hybrid. There was pain, but there was also…excitement? 

Alisea opened her eye in the bed, and felt her arms shaking. It wasn’t from the cold, although part of her utterly wished it was that she was cold. She shook her head, refusing to move from the bed and tried to dull her mind. She let out a slow deep breath.

“You’re not in that world anymore…You’re here, in a video game where anything is possible…” she softly reminds herself as she hides herself under the blanket more.

A hand went onto his shoulder, and although it was meant to be comforting, all it did was cause him to flinch, images flashing into his mind of when Eatos used to help him out. It wasn';t even related, but... Those memories... They weren't ever going to leave him alone. He let her in, the familiar which had accompanied her making itself right at home, the lion wlaking in, heading to the second story. He realized he hadn't made any meat for the familiars... His included. He simply reminded himself to get them both something later. When she was in, and while they were heading upstairs she asked him what had happened.

"I.... Someone died.... It was my fault.... I knew they were in pain, i knew what had happened, but i wasn't... strong enough to help them.... I can't afford that to happen a second time, not to someone i could really care about..." He said, a few tears forming in his eyes, which he wipes away, walking over to the warm food, bringing Hestia one of the herby cooked eggs and a bowl of salad. "I.. someone new joined my guild... an old friend, i met her before the message which trapped us all here... I lead my guild onto a hunt, but she didn't do to well... Last time i taught someone, it... didn't go how i wanted it to... I need help..." He said to her, taking a deep breath before putting on a fake smile, looking at her. 

"Wait here for a moment... I'l go get her" He said to her, walking over to the fireplace and grabbing the food he had made for Alisea, walking over to his bedroom, looking back at Hestia. "Before you comment and think something wrong, nothing is happening... I got enough of that from my guild yesterday" He said to her, walking into the room. He puts the salad and egg down, noticing that Jinx had woken up, or had somehow gotten the blanket over her head... He had a bad feeling about her... He heard muttering. 

He walks over to the bedside, sitting down on the bed next to where she was laying, hopefully not sitting on her by accident.

"Morning Alisea... Made some breakfast for the three of us, sleep well?" He said, feeling very awkward. But it was his bedroom... and he had a good feeling she didn't sleep in the nude... He hoped not, otherwise he would never live this one down. 

I raise an eyebrow slightly at hearing that news as i follow Stryder as i look towards the ground slightly as i than take out a journal from my inventory as i flip through the pages a little bit until i land onto one. I glance towards the new fresh blank page as i take out a pen along with that as i glance towards the page next to it the page about the information of one player by the name of Lowenthal. 'I still have no clue what he was even like. I should try to find some time to talk to Jomei.' I think to myself as i keep the journal open intending on writing down the information that i get about whoever had died from Stryder's guild as i find myself unsure about who it was. Never having been in contact with people from it besides the guild leader martial artist cause of the frontlines, and Pinball back when he was apart of it. 'Now there is more to talk about beyond just my simple wants. I need to make sure he is okay while also teaching someone how to tank. This should be interesting.'

The girls attempt to dull her mind was successful as the thought of her family back home slipped away like sand out of her hands, and even if she wanted to hold them tight, they would be unobtainable. Thankfully, even her dulled mind knew she wanted nothing to do with those memories…at least for now.

The first she noticed of Stryder coming into the room wasn’t the door opening, or him even sitting on the bed. She could smell the food the moment the door was opened, and she felt herself getting hungry. She poked her head out of the blanket as the boy sat down next to her, and she sniffed the air again. Her mouth started watering.

Reaching out, she grabbed the plate and started eating the food, once again with little concern for keeping up a civil appearance. She was hungry, so she ate. Licking her lips, the girl frowned at him as something he said finally clicked inside of her mind “…Three?” She tilted her head a little, and stared at the door as if expected someone to burst in “But there are only two of us…”

She had poked her head out, and was already going for the food. She was messy, little bits of the egg falling onto his bed, and some of the salad dressing dripping onto her face, though she was enjoying herself. It made him smile, her carefree attitude while she was eating calming him down, making him feel a little normal. It took a few moments into her eating before she realized he had said breakfast for three. He gave her a warm smile, it was weak... But it wasn't broken. 

"I noticed yesterday... you had some troubles understanding how to fight... I asked one of my friends from the frontlines if they could help teach you... L...last time i taught som.... When i taught Eatos.... I couldn't help her enough to keep her alive... I'm not risking that with you too..." He said, wiping the tear that had formed out of his eye, smiling at the girl. He didn't know what else to say to her, though he wasn't lying to her. He really didn't want to risk her dying because of his ignorance... He wasn't going to suffer losing two people he cared for, or that he could care fore. He refused, to lose someone else if he could prevent it. 

I look down towards my familiar who is rather exciting seemingly for the idea of getting some food as i chuckle softly at that and shares half of my food with Kuro as i enjoy my breakfast with a rather happy smile just enjoying the small little moment of having some free food. I look around the rather nice shop home that Stryder is staying in as i nod my head as i glance around at the various decor and decorations that could possibly be found within the home. I glance towards the table as i close my eyes for a brief moment as i puzzle over how i am meant to actually teach one how to fight in a game like this. 'Maybe it is as simple as waiting to see what kind of teaching style they are good with viewing? I should wait for that i guess before anything else since it wouldn't be worth it to try and teach someone who is hands on with learning by doing observational learning techniques.' I think to myself as i take a slow deep breathe to calm some of the nerves of actually having to teach someone rather than just give some off hand comments and suggestions towards someone for things they should be picking up first and foremost and along the way.

Alisea cleaned her mouth as she felt something sticky on it, and placed the quickly emptied plate back onto the bedside table, next to her eye patch and ear muffs. But she made no attempt to wear them, not yet anyway. She opened her second eye, and for now…enjoyed the fact she could work out distance without guessing.

“You asked….a front liner?” she tried to remember what those were…and she drew a blank. She knew she knew, but with her mind dulled, only silence answered her question. A question she quickly forgot when she saw the tear. She remembered he had been upset, really upset, at the memorial when looking at his friends death…words? It had been days at the most, but oddly, this seemed to the one of the few times he was upset again. She didn’t understand that she was part of why he was less upset.

“I won’t die” She said softly, and part of her really wanted to hug him although she stopped herself “But….i thank you for wanting to help…” The girl shifted in the bed, and looked at the door once again “So…who is the friend? Can I meet him?

She seemed to forget who a front liner was. He honestly had been expecting that, from his experience she often wasn't paying attention, and had a harder time bringing up information, but she was smart. He knew that much. She then told him she wouldn't die, and she was thankful for the help. The part where she said she wouldn't die, it hit him. He had told everyone, everyone he knew, that he wouldn't let any of them die. He told that to Eatos as well, but... she had ended up dying anyway. He felt his chest tighten up, the pain hurting... Though a lot less than it would have if he didn't have something that cute next to - What the hell am i thinking...

"Sure thing.... Her name is Hestia, and honestly she has kept me alive on a quest or two, so... I trust her..." He says to her, giving a warm smile, then placing a hand on her shoulder, her soft voice having sounded a little sad. "She's here, outside... I'l let you get ready... Oh... and remember to speak in english, and to introduce yourself as Jinx" He replies to her asking to go out to meet his friend, slightly giving a sly smile at the last part, considering her habbits. He wanted to give her a hug, though... It felt inappropriate right now...  

If she tried to pull him down for a hug, or tried to get his attention he would do what she wanted, but afterwards he got up, walking out of the room, heading back out to where Hestia was. 

"She will be out in a moment, sorry for the wait Hestia.." He says, grabbing his portion of the food, sitting down on a leather couch. The room was rather... bland, all the decorations were just some of his old gear. He had plans to make the whole shop look nicer, but he needed to get time to finish the whole place.

I glance towards the side to see Stryder appear as i nod my head and waits patiently for what is going to be this person i am meant to be teaching as i look down wondering how to bring this up as i look towards the blank page of my notebook. My shoulders slump knowing i shouldn't ask this or anything related considering the fact that the death was most likely recent, but..that really didn't stop me when Birdie committed suicide and i had to comfort Itzal. Why make an exception here? I get up from my seat and walks over towards Stryder while holding upon the notebook within my hand as i look towards the martial artist as i take a seat that would be close to the man but not right next to him as i look straight towards him with a apologetic look on my face. I know you most likley don't want to think about who had died from the pain it causes you. However, i would like to get to know this person who has died Stryder. I have been collecting names and information for people who died to try and make sure that when we get out of this game everyone can know those who died. I want to make sure those who die here aren't forgotten on the outside world i want their story to be told if i can do so. From the scared people that were just trying to make it day to day. To the heroes that are forged unintentionally from this horrible world. I say in a gentle tone of voice towards the martial artist as i look him in the eyes.

Hestia…The goddess? The girl frowned slightly as Stryder left the room and, in what she perceived as silence, her mind tried to account for what she’d heard. Part of her mind said Hestia was a god, but why was that? Shrugging, she dragged herself out of the bed and let out a slow breath.

Part of her was scared. She had been scared yesterday during the battles, and was certain she made too many errors…Did Stryder see her as a burden too? Someone he had to deal with rather than wanting to deal with…? She felt a wave of sadness wash over her as she realized it was probably the case. He knew her issues, and just wanted her not to die on him.

She threw her earmuffs under her hair, and put the eyepatch onto to cover her left eye. She took a quick look in the mirror and straightened her clothes, before shaking her head. She didn’t have to think right now, not about that…Surely he didn’t’….oh who was she kidding, she was a burden.

She walked towards the door, and open the door slightly before hearing a girl speak! Even with her earmuffs and listening in, unable to stop herself. The girls voice was talking about…heros? It didn’t make sense to her…But she remained at the door, half her face poked out from the door…and her ton of white hair which made it a lot harder to remain invisible.

He had expected this... Questions about what had happened. Though, he wasn't willing to talk about it. She wanted to make a collection, so at the end of the game, everyone who died would be remembered, there story known. He... didn't want to tell her story, not yet. It wasn't something she wanted anyone to know, she only told him because of how close they were. He was pretty sure that Hei had a slight idea, as they had gone back quite a long way... But other than that...

"I'd.... rather not talk about it Hestia... She didn't want to tell anyone her situation, her real life... Though knowing didn't help me save her from herself... Only thing i'l say... Was that Eatos jumped. You... don't need to worry about me, help me by keeping other people i care about safe..." He said, his voice loud enough for Jinx to hear, though he hadn't meant it to be. He wasn't yelling, but it was audible. He thought back on how Jinx fought yesterday... She didn't know how to fight, not very well. She obviously had the knowledge, but lacked any and all experience in how to put that into action. She hadn't been a liability, or a burden. Honestly, if she hadn't been there, he might not have been able to do anything, she was the only one so far to be able to keep him away from that side of... well... himself. 

I let out a soft sigh as i put away the notebook for now willing to be respectful for his choice in the matter since it is important for the martial artist for one reason or the other, but at the very least there is a name and the way they had died which means respects can at least be given towards the woman. 'Wait...Eatos?' I think to myself as i tap my cheek wondering why that sounds weirdly familiar as i look towards the ground in thought trying to remember why that sounds familiar until it clicks after a few moments. Wait..wasn't Eatos the girl who was like a co-leader of the guild, and also the person at that christmas party last year in a tux. I say towards myself more so than anything as i frown at that and just nods my head towards Stryder. Okay than. Just know Stryder that if you ever feel fine with talking about it to some extent of details that you can message me and i'll be there to write down her story if you would want others to know. I glance towards the side as i spot a bit of silver and what looks like a person as i give a small wave over towards the person in question that is hiding seemingly. Uhm...hello you must be the person Stryder told me about. I say in a kind tone of voice as i look at the girl that has half of her face poking out from behind the door.

While listening in to the pair talking, a part of Alisea’s brain told her to stop and to go back into the bed until the pair were finished talking. Another part of her brain told her to shut up and be noisey. In her indecision, she ended up hearing Stryder talk about the friend he lost, the girl Eatos. She thought back to Stryder, at the memorial. He’d punched it out of sadness, as if beating up a rock would bring his friend back. Was that sweet…or sad? She couldn’t remember which one it was…

She continued to spy from the doorway, right until she heard the girls voice address her. The eye-contact with the other girl made it clear to Jinx that she had been spotted….She smiled sheepishly as she stepped out from the doorway, and gave the other person…Hestia, a short bow out of respect. She wasn’t wearing combat gear, but rather, a long black pants and a plain white shirt that seemed to merge with the girls endless locks of snow-white hair. Her single visible eye, a dulled red.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you…Hestia…?” She frowned, was that that name Stryder had said before? She couldn’t remember… “My names Alisea Dariem, and…you’re here to help me right…?” She asks, and in her head, she had been successful! She’d managed to focus enough to say everything in English! And had completely forgotten to introduce herself with her online alias…again.  

He was glad she was respecting his wishes to not really... go into detail about her situation. It wasn't something he planned to spread. Her crimes would die with him... For allowing her to go through it alone. He simply nodded to Hestia when she asked if that was the person, as it was. He didn't have much else to say to her about it, then, he noticed her looking over to the bedroom door, and then he turned, seeing Alisea there, hiding. Hestia noticed her, saying hello and inviting her out to the two of them.

He was honestly, quite proud of her... After she had come out from spying on the two of them, moving from his bedroom in her casual clothes, her hair covering her golden eye. She had managed to stay in english at the very least, it was an improvement to normal, where she would end up in chinese normally, though... She forgot to introduce herself as Jinx. He simply smiled, a warm kind feel flowing over him as he looked at the clutz. It was noticable, the smile not being strong, but not being broken. 

"Once again, you forgot to introduce yourself with your persona Jinx, but good job keeping in an understandable language!" He says to the girl, praising her on it. He was honestly proud of her, though he had to admit, only quietly to himself of course, that he kinda wished she had come out with chinese, or russian. It was... a sort of charm, it was really cute.