[PP-F1] Secret Medicine of the Forest (Theodosia and Katagawa)

After eating that morning at the orphanage the blonde hair girl decided it was time to go into The Town of Beginnings. Taking a deep breath she moved through the crowded streets as carefully as she could. In reality she was no more obvious than a tangerine in an orange groove. If someone really wanted to find the small girl, they could, but no one was looking for her which allowed her to move through  the sea of bodies like a shadow. If one were to watch Theo they would observe that her facial muscles were tense and a slight frown was on her face. The ocean blue orbs were intently focused on finding a way through the masses. This wandering into town was for a purpose. The blonde girl intended to partake in her very first fighting quest. She had informed the volunteer at the orphanage that she was going out and may not be back for awhile. The women was barely able to stutter out words before Theo was gone. Part of her did feel bad for taking off, but in order to meet her goal it was necessary. She would apologize later. 

If she made it back. 

Coming to the edge of town the young girl hovered around the gate that led out into the wilds. Pacing back and forth she intently focused on ground under her feet. "This would be so much easier if I had someone to go with me." The girl muttered under her breath. 

Edited by Theodosia

Hokori had been wandering about for some time now, with little reason to be doing so. Though she had been trying to help players still getting their feet wet in this game, she should really be making sure that she could keep helping them. Most of the people she had met were now passing her up in level as she remained at the bottom of the ladder. There was no grand plan to become the best, but she knew she wouldn't be able to help others if she was unable to help herself. Heading towards the exit for the Town of Beginnings, she noticed a little girl who was pacing in front of the gate. Perhaps they were waiting for someone, or possibly considering something quite brash. Either way, she approached the girl. She was tall, buy there was that glow of innocence about her. In fact, Hokori wasn't that much taller than her, no more than half a foot. "Hello, do you need any help?" Though her heavy armor and large blade resting horizontally across her back may have been intimidating, Hokori tried to keep her voice as gentle as possible.

All the more reason I should probably change up how I'm playing this game.

@Theodosia

Suddenly, a gentle voice appeared to vocalize out of thin air. Stopping in mid-step the blondes attention turned from the grass on the ground to the person in now standing in front of her. Upon first sight the other girl didn't appear to be much older, but there was an air about her that had a certain degree of maturity. There was no way they were the same age despite being around the same height. Sheepishly grinning so that the band-aid on her nose wrinkled, the girl brought a hand to scratch the back of her blonde locks, "Welllll, if you offering then yes." The young girl approached the other women with an excited air. 

"There is this quest I wanna do, but I've never done a quest--never even fought anything--and they recommend level 5 and up but I'm only level one,-" Taking another deep inhale Theo was about to start going on again when it dawned on her that her mouth was running faster than a river after a storm. Closing her mouth she took another breath and then met the other girls aquamarine gaze. "I'm sorry," The young girl sighed with small smile, "I'm told I get too excited sometimes. Let me start over. My name is Theodosia, but people call me Theo."  With that said the young girl stuck her hand out. "It's nice to meet you."

@Katagawa

Letting out a mental sigh of relief that she hadn't scared the girl, Hokori listened as the girl rambled on for quite a little while. Once she had calmed down, she just smiled back at the girl and gave her her own username. Her tone was a little too casual for her tastes, but she had been quite uptight with her language for most of her life. "It's great to see someone like you still having this much boundless energy. My name is Katagawa, people tend to call me Kat though." As she spoke, Hokori considered the little offer the girl had given her. She had known that there was another quest for her to do on this floor, and it sounded like one of the ones she had yet to do. As long as she could protect the girl, there shouldn't be an issue with letting them tag along with her. "As for your quest, I could come help. I don't think I've done it myself, and it shouldn't be too hard. Most games make the beginning quests really easy so beginner's like you and me don't get frustrated." Not that anyone trapped in a game for two years could really be considered beginners, but it was something to help assuage the young girl.

@Theodosia

Upon hearing that Katagawa, or Kat, would partake on a quest with her Theo internally jumped about 5ft in the air. It was a relief to have some company. What Kat, had stated was indeed true. Theo had not really thought about it before now but every game she had played prior to this one usually included some easy beginner quests. After all, games were meant to be beaten...well, that had been the thought until this game arrived. Theo was still unsure if Kayaba had really intended for anyone to beat the game, but those thoughts were for a different time. Shaking her head slightly the young blonde refocused on the other player.

"Based on what I heard there is a small town near here in need of medicine," Theo turned her face toward the gate to stare out into the vast wilds of the first floor, "It is up to us to get them that medicine. We have to defeat something called a Nepent? Have you heard of those?"

While posing the question the girl started to think about something else. She had informed Kat that that prior to this experience she had never been in a fight. Never even touched the spear in her inventory. Maybe before this it would be a good idea to take on one of the boar that roamed the wilds freely. Just to get a taste of what it was like. Theo did not want to let Kat down.

Hokori watched as Theo got immediately very excited about having someone to go questing for her. Even though she didn't have experience, she was pretty sure that she could keep the little girl defended from harm. It would take a bit more effort to do that and attack, but it meant that she wouldn't have to have someone's death on her hands. The girl talked about the queset, and Hokori tried to piece together what she knew. "I don't know what they are, but it sounds like some sort of plant. Likely going to be imbued with animal intelligence and a thirst for human blood. Depending on the type of plant they are from we should either be wary of some tangling vines or getting swarmed by them. That means my AoEs will be useful, but the tangling might make it a little hard to protect you completely." Hokori caught herself planning out loud. She put a smile back on her face, trying not to bring the girl's hopes down. "We should be able to do it. That village won't get the medicine themselves now, would they?"

@Theodosia

As the other girl started to explain what Nepent's could possibly be the young girl paid close attention. She agreed with the assessment that Kat had provided; plant types would most certainly have some type of vine attack. Perhaps a spear would be a perfect weapon to use again them, with the distance and all. Only one way to find out. As the older girl continued to talk Theo realized that she was also planning on trying to protect her as well as attack. There was a slight frown present on Kat's features  while she talked until she realized that Theo was watching and then the frown turned into a smile. Feeding off the determination exhibiting from Kat Theo allowed a determined glint to enter her orbs.

"No, they won't. We can, and will, do it." Without further hesitation Theo opened her menu and sent a party request to the other girl. It would be hard work, but worth it. Theo refused to allow Kat to do all the fighting and defending, but she would not vocalize it; getting that feeling that Kat would not approve. Together they would win this quest and save the town. 

@Katagawa

The young girl seemed determined to progress, and that was quite admirable. It was a little worrying as well to see someone like her making their way towards the front lines. Every bit helped, but the stress this would put on her life was unfair. A little kid like her should have the chance to play and frolick in the bushes. That was all taken away from her now. At least the adults could say they have had a childhood. And for some this was them able to relive those fantasies. For her, it was just a mass grave waiting to see how many people weer able to crawl out of it. The quest would be simple enough, and there hopefully woldn't be anything to threaten her. The monsters themselves weren't going to be too strong, so it was entirely possible they could be in and out with barely a scratch. If there was any worry, Hokori knew that she would be able to pull back the two of them enough to avoid combat and regenereate the health and rseources they would need.

@Theodosia

As the young blonde waited for the other girl to accept the offer, but when she glanced up from her menu Theo could not help but notice the distant gaze in Kat's eyes as she reviewed her. Without intending too Theo's eyes softened. It was a stare that Theo was familiar with. There had been a couple time she experienced it, but mainly it was the children at the orphanage as they obliviously played in the premise of the church. They had not realized what they were missing. Many of them were young and had adjusted to the circumstances of the game. There were brief moments of clarity though, moments where they cried for their parents and family, and moments where they yearned for their real beds. In all those moments Theo did her best to sit with the children and let them feel what they felt; it was important that they did, but it was hard because she also related with those thoughts. It was hard to just sit back and do nothing while so many suffered.  That is why she was here though. It was her driving force. 

"Kat," Theo stated to get the women's attention, "Are you okay? You have a distance look in you eyes..." There was a thread of softness interlacing within Theo's voice as she asked the other girl the question. Of course Kat was not okay, they were stuck in a game of death and destruction, but in that moment it felt appropriate to ask. 

@Katagawa

As her thoughtss drifted towards darker thoughts, Hokori was interrupted by the little girl. She immediately caught herself, and a hollow smile came across her face. "Yeah, I'm fine. Let's go get ourselves that medicine. The village won't get that medicine if we don't help." It probably would, but the girl didn't need to know that. They seemed  rather mature for their age, which was both a blessing and a curse. Sure it meant that they could have wisdom beyond their years, but it also bore that knowledge of knowing. Either way, Kat gestured for the girl to follow her and began to move her way over towards where she knew the village was. She had considered doing this quest before, so had done some research on it. All she didn't know for certain was whether or not she could take it on on her own. The girl was unlikely to slow her down, but it was going to be seen if it could speed her up.

@Theodosia

The hollow smile was a key sign that everything was not indeed "fine," but Theo did not press Kat any further. Not only had they just met, but this game had obviously affected everyone in some form or other; it was hard not to be affected. Spacing off for that moment had caused her to miss what had been said, but Theo did see the other women started to head off and quickly followed after. Together they passed thought the arch that led to the outside of the city. There was a brief moment where Theo paused. The wind blew gently across the plain; swaying grass and tussling the loose strands of Theo's locks.  Boar littered the field feasting on the grass or defending themselves against players that attacked them. It smelled fresh and unlike the town that they had just exited. It was everything that Theo had ever dreamed of. Jogging to catch back up with her partner, Theo stopped when they were side my side. 

"How did you know that I needed help?" Theo inquired, her curiosity getting the better of her. 

The girl had caught up to her, and Hokori realized that she slow her gait a bit more than before. She was mostly used to walking with people much taller than her, meaning she had to move much more quickly than normal. Once they had caught up, it seemed they didn't have much to say, just a single question. "A lot of people hesitate to go out of the gate when it's still their first few times doing so. I saw you waiting there and figured you could use some help." Though she didn't particularly want to help because she was a little girl, there was certainly some motherly feeling that made her want to drop what she was doing to help her. It was something she had never truly felt, always being focused on her work and surrounded by other guys. Perhaps she could try to regain some of that femininity through this girl. Not that she would wish to do so, but just maybe give herself a reason to get out of this game besides helping herself and her parents.

@Theodosia

A laugh bubbled past her lips at Kat's straight forward answer. "Yyyeeahhh," Theo grinned shyly, "I wanted to go so bad, but could not make myself leave the safety of the city...that was until you came along." There was no denying that Theo was definitely hesitating when it came to entering the wilds by herself. While she desired to go adventuring--and maybe one day get to the front lines--there was still a small sense of fear about the possibility of dying. Initially, the girl had thought that this fear acted as chains that kept her from reaching her full potential, but Theo now knew that fear was not the enemy. As one of the adventures from the orphanage said, "Fear keeps you alive."

And it did. 

Players that embraced the fear could use it as a means to stay alive by being cautious of their surroundings and making smart decisions. The fear of leaving the city alone kept her from making a brash and clearly unwise decision. It had helped her meet Kat, who dispute not having a lot of conversation with, Theo really enjoyed the company of.  

"How far is this place anyways?" Theo questioned, glancing around the wilds trying to find signs of another town. 

@Katagawa

Edited by Theodosia

"It shouldn't be too far" Hokori had never actually gone to the village, but if it was anything like the other quests, it wasn't going to take long to reach their destination. As big as the first floor was, very little of it was actually being used by the content developed for it. If anything, it was just there to make sure the player density wasn't too high for the first few floors. Once the two were at the village, Hokori gestured for the girl to stay behind while she went ahead to scout the area. Without warning, she was quickly attacked by a group of the nepents. "Quick, over here!" She didn't wait to immediately start a spinning attack to clear the nepents that were all around her. As she pulled her sword into her other hand as well, she noticed only one of them remained standing. A little surprised that she had missed, she quickly prepared to strike at it in case the girl wasn't able to kill it off.

Spoiler

Using: Blast [x2 AoE]

(Nepent 1)
Roll ID: #109721
BD: 10 -major crit (7 + 2 * 2 = 18 damage)
MD: Dead

(Nepent 2)
ROll ID: #109722
BD: 10 - major crit (7 + 2 * 2 = 18 damage)

(Nepent 3)
Roll ID: #109724
BD: 2 + 1 = 3 - miss
MD: 3 - miss

(Nepent 4)
Roll ID: #109725
BD: 8 + 1 = 9 - hit (7 * 2 = 14 damage)

[H: 2/2/0/1] @Katagawa: 240/240 HP | 16/24 EN | 7 DMG | 18 THN | 17 MIT | 1 ACC | 9-10 PARA
[H: 0/0/0/0] @Theodosia: ???

Nepent 1: 0/7 HP | DMG: 3
Nepent 2: 0/7 HP | DMG: 3

Nepent 3: 7/7 HP | DMG: 3
Nepent 4: 0/7 HP | DMG: 3