[F01-OP] Curse of Versailles

Jace had mixed feelings about Aincrad's sky. Not the ceiling that seemed to reflect a gentle blue, but the sky outside. The endless expanse within which the castle was suspended. He didn't see it very often. The young man held somewhat of an aversion to the Town of Beginnings' Southern edge. It was a place where delusional, broken people went to attempt their own twisted escape. At first it had been a place for him to wind down. A place to escape from all the reminders of his inaction, the stagnancy that had defined his life for what undoubtedly felt like years. A place to think. The only hobby he really practiced anymore, save for getting caught up in the occasional conversation with someone who didn't send a spike of regret stabbing through his heart. It was inevitable that he would witness someone take that misguided plunge into the golden skies below. Needless to say it was a horrifying thing to witness. Jace had never actually seen someone die before that point, not in person at least.

Aincrad's sky was a sky full of death. Not just that of the castle it hosted but also of those crestfallen souls who hurled themselves into it. He could no longer stand the sight of it, reminded only of the kaleidoscope of crystal shards that had erupted from that other player's body. Not wishing to see such a thing again, he elected to avoid visiting that Southern edge. Fearing that his visit might coincide with another person's breaking point.

Yet Aincrad's sky was a beautiful sky. Vast and deep, the clouds painted in all the brilliant colors that virtual sun had to offer. So too was the castle's nocturnal surroundings. A great sea of star filled void. That's how it looked now, an hour past midnight, as Jace gazed at it from Aincrad's balcony. He hadn't been able to sleep. With far too much time to dwell on his situation, the weight of all his lost time had fallen upon him at once. A rare, dangerous case of overthinking. The young man's mind had contrived itself into a dire corner, in a way he imagined was all too common among the great sky's victims, and had lead itself to a line of reasoning he never thought he'd court. A horrific thought that sent him recoiling in disgust at the mere idea. Perhaps the only thing that a person like him could ever regard as sacrilege. Even now the concept made him shiver, furrowing his brow as he stared into the starry abyss.

It was the reason he'd decided to visit it once again, to lean against the thin stone railing that stood between him and the sky of Aincrad. Not to follow through with the idea, no. Jace would never do something like that. Instead it was a macabre satisfaction in defying that transgressive impulse. To simply stand on the somber edge and refuse the apparent temptation that had claimed so many lives. Besides, the sky was beautiful, and there was little threat of witnessing another horror so late at night. He needed a break from the city and its painful reminders.

Kirbs fidgetted with the ruby of her ring and sighed. She honestly had no idea why she was down here in this for at the moment. Perhaps to shop?  Nah, I'm too broke to buy anything right now. Or perhaps for some sightseeing? What is there to sightsee in this bloody part of floor one? Her lips twitched as she thought that, but she quickly shook it off as she rounded the corner.  I should probably go find something to eat. I've been cooped up in the shop all day and I barely had any time to find anything to eat. So hungry! Maybe I should go find a cafe or something. God, I could totally go for something sweet right about now. One thing I have in common with Kirby is that I'll eat absolutely everything. Where is the nearest bloody cafe?  She looked around and sighed in defeat. Gosh darn it, I don't know this town so well...

@Bismarck

The young man let out a sigh. One long and heavy, accented by what felt like years of soul sucking inaction. He couldn't sit on this edge forever. Gorgeous though the view was, it did eventually get boring to stare at the night sky surrounding Aincrad. With one last look into the abyss below, a look of both caution and admiration, he pushed himself away from it. Worn leather boots on long legs carrying him back towards the town.

The streets were too familiar to him. Pretty as The Town of Beginnings was, the many alleys and buildings of the sprawling settlement had grown stale to him what felt like years ago. Now it was just a blur of vaguely fantasy style, especially with how late it was. Everything not under a light source was a shrouded silhouette under the mask of night. Jace was sick of it. He was so sick of it that he'd stopped caring, then rolled right back around to being sick of it again. One of the many issues his stagnant life in SAO had created for him. It made him clench his fists, a frustrated expression making itself known on his face. It was bothering him more than usual. Perhaps that was a good thing? He felt dissatisfied, like he wanted to strike out and finally get something done.

There was someone up ahead. Annoyed with himself as he might be, Jace didn't really want anyone else to see it. Best to at least give off the impression that he wasn't a failure. Even if his level was a dead give away. As he approached the girl, he tried to put up a casual smile, taking in a deep breath as he unclenched those fists of his. "You lost?" He suddenly asked, acting on an impulse to greet her as soon as he was within speaking range. Jace really wanted to do something, the lack of activity in his life was proving particularly unbearable tonight. "You look like you're trying to find something."

@Kirbs

Edited by Bismarck

Kirbs looked up from the ground and blinked. "Me? Oh, I'm just trying to find... a cafe or something of that sort." She took in his features and shrugged.  He seems normal enough. Not an orange player, nor does he have that fishy smell. She looked around and put on a crooked smile. "Do you live around here or something?" The brunette asked, raising one of her brows in suspicion.  He could be a bloody murderer for all I know. Nevermind, I'm just being paranoid. Or am I?!  She internally facepalmed herself for being a complete idiot. "So, uhm. Yeah." she forced a smile at him as she continued to fidget with the band of her ring. "Nice weather we're having, huh?" She rubbed the back of her neck nervously as she glanced at the sky. "It's very, uhm... clear out today. And the air... it's really nice." The player felt heat rush up to her face as she becomes a full out tomato.

@Bismarck

Did he live there? Jace glanced away at the girl's question, his greeting smile fading a bit. She had unwittingly struck a very unpleasant cord. Yes, yes he did live around there. For far, far too long. He tried to keep these feelings hidden, passing it off as though he'd been looking around at the buildings as well. Those icy blue eyes of his quickly returned to the girl, watching her rather unusual body language while she abruptly changed the subject. Had he been too obvious? Jace forced his smile to come back, at once both silently cursing himself and hoping that the girl was just socially awkward or something. That she hadn't actually noticed the chinks in his own behavior. "Yeah! Weather's great, I actually really like it." There, something he could use for conversation without having to lie. He could sincerely say that he enjoyed the weather. Especially after having seen what it was actually like outside of Aincrad. "Anyways..." Of course she probably hadn't been expecting an answer, talking about the weather was practically textbook small talk. Looking to move the conversation back to something a little more useful, he brought his gaze back down to the girl. "You said you're looking for a cafe?"

@Kirbs

Edited by Bismarck

One thing that Krysta wanted to start practicing was visiting the lower floors on occasion. Her boyfriend had done so, for the sake of helping players brave enough to step outside of the safe zone for the first time get up on their feet, so why couldn't she? She walked throughout the starting city, noticing places she had been to before, and some that she hadn't. There was always something new to explore in every floor, no matter how much time is spent there. She soon saw two players chatting, and she wondered if she could meet them. She thought it over for about a minute, then she walked over. "Pardon me, but may I join in this conversation?" Krysta knew exactly what happened when she felt some extra weight on her back. She smiled as she turned her head towards that area. "Oh, don't worry, Yolviinsil, I'm pretty sure these two are nice." The small ruby red feathered dragon poked her head over Krysta's shoulder, looking at the two players shyly.

@Bismarck @Kirbs

[OOC: Sunova has in this post still long hair, and Is very happy still and active. and probably before her breakdown]

Sunova walked around on the floor for a bit it was quite dark already and Sunova really was getting bored a bit, What can I do, I have not seen anyone interesting or someone I know, Sunova thought walking around until she hears something people talking about something, not sure what but Sunova started to take up a bit of speed to find out what this talk as about and what was going to happen once she got there. Once getting there Sunova heard a familiar voice and took even more speed up and saw Krysta or Jewel how she also knew her, Sunova stared to sprint and jumped to Hug Krysta, "HIY! Jewel," Sunova said sounding very happy and hyper. the Small girl was for sure the smallest here but surely not the youngest. "Hye Hye, How have you been ooh and who are you, new friends?" Sunova said letting go of Krysta and standing next to her patting the small dragon Krysta had with her, "Also Hiy Yolviinsil, Nice to see you as well," Sunova said sounding quite hyper in her voice and happy as well to see someone she knew. The long pure white hair of Sunova stood quite out in the dark and the rest of her armor as well as it was white and blue.

@Krysta @Kirbs @Bismarck

“Yeah, I am.” This stomach ain’t going to feed itself anyway. She looked up and saw an unfamiliar face. “Oh, hi. Uh, I guess you can?” She glanced at Bismarck before shrugging her shoulders. She smiled softly as she pin pointed the player’s familiar. Cute. Another unfamiliar voice pierced through the air. She gulped when she saw another player jump onto the air and latch onto Krysta. Quite a few people we have here, Kirbs dropped a sigh as she watched the two people interact with eachother. “Uh, Nice to meet you two, my name is Kirbs,” she forced a grin out as she slowly raised a hand out to the strangers. Lord, don’t make me regret this. I thought this side of town would be quiet. I mean, it’s not bad to have company. It’s just that... too much in too little time is stressful, y’know? Who am I even talking to? Dammit, brain!

@Sunova @Bismarck @Krysta

Jace's bright gaze focused in on two more girls as they interjected into the conversation. First a girl who presented herself rather politely, with a small dragon peeking cautiously over her shoulder. A familiar. Shortly after she was followed by another much smaller girl, armored and hyper. They both looked to be a higher level, not only in their equipment but in the way they carried themselves. Of course he would encounter such people on a night like this. Still he kept up his smile, concealing the spike of regret that such players evoked within him. The conversation would likely become tedious if any of them noticed something wrong. Tediousness was the last thing he needed. "Sure! I don't see why not." He replied, following the first girl's example in extending his hand. Apparently her name was Kirbs, and the polite girl was Jewel. "I'm Bismarck. What's brought you girls to the first floor?" Bismarck asked, letting Kirbs handle the 'nice to meet you' sentiment that he normally would've given. Tonight wasn't the night for him to be saying something like that.

@Kirbs @Krysta @Sunova

After so many years, Aincrad had become Lessa's reality. It was difficult to pin-point exactly when the real-world and the in-game world had silently traded places in her mind. But thoughts of home came less frequently now, where they used to consume her sleeping and waking hours alike. Once upon a time, her past was the years before donning the Nerve Gear. Now, it was the days spent with Alkor, and the Guardians of Aincrad. When she reflected on where she had started, she no longer thought of Michigan. And that notion, from time to time, terrified her.

On the other hand, it provided a sick sort of relief as well. The hurt in her heart for the life she left behind once plagued her, but now, it was more of a dull ache. Her parents, her brothers, her farm, who she was... it was all so hazy now, like a distant dream she thought of so infrequently that it was slipping into obscurity. What worried her now was the concept of losing those she loved. So many had fallen to beasts, or under the weapons of other players.

There had even been some of Lessa's loved ones who had thrown themselves off the edge of the world, no longer content to face the challenges posed by the virtual world. As such, a fist tightened around the blonde's heart, robbing the breath from her lungs whenever someone stood at the balcony's edge. It was foolish, perhaps, that any person appreciating the view might frighten her this way. But in her mind's eye, she saw the horrible scene playing out in a way that ended with another dead player; another burst of colored pixels, and another relationship shattered. 

At her sharp intake of breath, Riker gave a small growl of concern. "I'm fine," she muttered softly, reaching out to pat her wolf's head. The familiar nudged her palm with his wet nose, offering comfort the best way he knew how. Besides, the other player had drawn back from the edge, and was beginning his trek back toward town. There would be no jumping today. "Yeah," she said again, watching him go. "I'm fine. We're fine."