{F5-PP} Habits, Old and New <<Arabian Nights: First Night>>

Hero Route

The chill mug gripped tightly between both hands did nothing to soothe his nerves. He sat at a table nestled comfortably against a wall, giving him the perfect view of the entrance to the tavern. 
Which was good, since he wasn't supposed to be here. 
Ever since he turned orange, avoiding town had become the norm. What he hadn't known was that the unusually silent guards that patrolled most of Aincrad's human settlements were actually hostile toward orange players. Suffice to say, it had come as a bit of a shock when he had gotten tired of hunting for his food, and tried sneaking in for something he couldn't procure in the wild. He just wanted bread - and he learned the hard way that orange players aren't supposed to eat bread. God, he missed bread. And chocolate. And sweets in general, really. 
But after that, he had some experimenting to do. He learned that if he wanted to get into town, he'd have to sneak his way in - which, admittedly, was kind of difficult when it wasn't something he had ever really practiced. After a few bumbling attempts, Pinball had finally managed to slip pass Fortaleza's defenses. He had immediately ducked into a rather dim and dismal looking tavern, where he sat, and ordered something to drink. 
And that's how he got there - hood pulled up, neglected drink in hands, and anxiously waiting for that door to slam open and bring with it the city's angry guards. 

@Cosi @Kirbs

Edited by Pinball

For the second time in his life in this death game Cosi found himself on the fifth floor for no reason in mind. The blonde haired player was just there. He was in the main city of Fortaleza just wandering around. His white cloak and cyan-blue scarf flapped in the building wind. Ladon was nestled around Cosi's neck beneath the pure white cloak and Cosi's war hammer Inbrunst was strapped to his back. As the wind continued to pick up, picking up sand with it, Cosi decided he better get inside and so he headed towards the nearest building and ducked inside. It was a run down and seedy looking tavern but still it was shelter. Cosi moved over to the bar and sat down on a stool. He didn't order anything. Instead he looked around the bar. It was relatively empty except for NPCs and one player in a corner booth. Cosi peered harder at the player. He recognized them. It was Pinball. A grin spread on Cosi's face- it had been awhile since he had seen the spear user- and the blonde got up and moved over to the other player.

Cosi was about five feet from the booth when something stopped him. Pin's crystal was orange...

@Kirbs

Stats, Gear, & Items

Spoiler

LV: 20 | HP: 400/400 | EN 40/40 | DMG 8 | MIT 18 | ACC 3 | EVA 3 

Equipped:
Inbrunst- Damage 3
White Executioner's Cloak- Evasion 3
Allsehend- Accuracy 3

Familiar:
Ladon-  Rank 2 Protector (9 Mit per rank * tier)

Items:
4 Starter Healing Potions

Kirbs stretched her arms as she entered the small tavern. She had spent most of the day lounging around different parts of random floors and she decided that it was time for a short break. I'm pooped out. She sighed and blinked her eyes open. The tavern was small but it had a homey vibe to it. She blew a puff of air in content and went to go find a table.  Oh thank god, this place doesn't seem fishy at all- she ran into a figure and let out a deep and frustrated sigh before backing up. Brain, I beg to differ. She squinted at the player in front of her and frowned when she realized his attention wasn't on her. "Uh, sorry for bumping into to you. And, uhm..." She looked over to what he was looking at.  You could at least say something to... her thoughts trailed off as she recognized a familiar face with a familiar orange cursor.  Oh, bajeesus.

Battle Ready:

Spoiler

Stats:

LVL: 7

HP: 140

EN: 14

DMG: 3

ACC: 3

EVA: 2

MIT: 0

Paralyze: 1

Perfect: Green  Rare: Blue   Uncommon: Yellow  Vanity: Orange

Equipped:

Gamers Anklet: 1 ACC, 1 EVA

> Shatterglass: 2 ACC, 1 Paralyze 

Starter's Light Armor: 1 EVA

Items:

> 5 Starter Healing Potions: Heals 50 HP

Skills:

> T2 Dagger Skill

@Pinball @Cosi

Edited by Kirbs

One after the other, two players he did not want to see stumbled into the tavern. Pinball cursed to himself, grabbed the hood of his cloak, and yanked it down further. Kirbs and Cosi... He didn't know how widespread Hestia's Wanted List was yet, so Cosi might not have been filled in yet - though he didn't exactly want to stick around to find out if Kirbs would rat him out. He had to get away - quickly. He fidgeted with his cloak - and then his drink, and then his cloak, until finally he just cursed loudly and threw himself to his feet, only to bump into a vaguely arabic man bringing his drink back up to the booth. He looked upset about something, and Pinball was in a bit of a hurry, but he could tell that this was a quest giver. He glanced over at Kirbs, then at Cosi, then back at the man. "Don't worry about me, brother," the man said with a solemn smile, tapping his mug against Pinball's,"from one reject to another, eh?" The man pat Pinball on the shoulder, turned, and went to sit back down. Pinball eyed the only other two players in the tavern suspiciously, but stood his ground. 

@Cosi

Player Stats: 

Spoiler

~Skills/Stats~ 

Level: 46
Health: 920 | Energy: 92
DMG: 10 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3

Skills:

Combat skills:
►<<Charge>> [50/50]: Rank 5 - Grandmaster

Weapon skills:
►<<2H Assault Spear>> [50/50]: Rank 5 - Grandmaster
►<<1H Straight Sword>> [23/50]: Rank 3 - Expert 

Armor skills:
►N/A

Extra skills:
►<<Familiar Mastery: Fighter>> [18/18]: Rank 3 - Grandmaster
►<<Martial Arts>> [0/50]: N/A
►<<Survival>> ~ Inactive 

Utility Skills:
►<<Fishing>>

Modifiers:
►[Active] <<2H Assault Spear: Ferocity>>: +1 Base DMG
►[Active] <<Bullrush>>
►[Active] <<2H Assault Spear: Finesse>> ~ Rank 3 

Inventory
»[Equipped] [Perfect] DawnBringer: +2 DMG, +1 Paralyze
»[Equipped] [Perfect] Leather Armor of the Amatuer Duelist: +3 EVA
»[Equipped] [Perfect] Warrior’s Focus: +3 ACC

Battle Ready: 
» [3x] Teleportation Crystal 
» [3x] Greater Curative Potion: +120 HP 
» [3x] Crystallized Healing: +60 HP (Party) 

Edited by Pinball

Cosi didn't know how to respond. Pin hadn't had an orange cursor the last time he had seen the spear user and the only way you could get one of those was by attacking another player. Cosi's hands fidgeted. He wanted to reach for his hammer, but Cosi stopped himself. Let's see what he has to say first. Cosi apologized to the player that had bumped into him and took a single step forward. "Hey Pinball. Long time no see. Seem's like a lot's happened since I last saw you mate." Cosi tried to relax but it was a little difficult. Orange players were usually player killers and Pinball was much higher level then himself. Cosi clenched and unclenched his hands before deciding to pull up a chair from another table and sit across from Pinball. "Care to enlighten me Pin?" Cosi leaned his arms against the table and then as nonchalantly and unthreateningly as possible he opened his menu and unequipped his war hammer. Some steel gauntlets appeared on his hands.

@Kirbs

She watched the NPC walk away for a few seconds before turning her attention back to Pinball. What do I say?  She fidgetted with her fingers as she stared at the familiar but foreign face in front of her. "Hey, Richard... Pinball! Yeah... nice to see you again." She rubbed the back of her neck, deeming the situation incredibly uncomfortable. She gave him a forced smile but didn't say anything else.  Oh, hell. Oh, hell. Oh, hell. This is bonkers, absolute bonkers! Kirbs blinked before squinting at the player in front of her. Wait a minute. "Do tell me about everything, actually. I would absolutely love to hear your end of the story too, Pinball. I think my point of view can be very, very, very biased." I wonder why? The brunette crossed her arms and leaned against the wooden wall of the establishment, a pointed look etched across her face.

@Pinball @Cosi

Care to explain? 
No, he didn't, and that much was obvious by the frustrated snarl his face had twisted into. He should have listened to Kataware. He was supposed to avoid this floor. But he hadn't listened, and he hadn't gone twenty minutes before being spotted, even in a secluded, sketchy little place like this. 
He looked away from the two for a moment, at a loss for words. Towards the Ai that had just talked to him. He was staring silently at the encounter. When he noticed Pinball's glare, he laughed. "Oh, sorry, don't mind me. Just another poor fool drowning his sorrows, yeah?
The vaguely arabic man took another long, hearty sip from his mug. And his voice did take on a more sorrowful tone, if only for a few short moments. Or one, really long moment. "You three... adventurers, yeah? Maybe you can help me." And then the man proceeded to spout a lengthy monologue about his missing brother, a band of thieves, something about a ring, and of the poetic injustice of it all - and at the end, he asked them to go and retrieve it. 
And when the prompt to accept or refuse the quest blazed to life in front of the three of them in a white window, Pinball saw it as the perfect oppurtunity to get up and leave town. He accepted, and quickly made for the door, taking a whole step out before a single word actually passed his lips. 
"Nothing to explain," was all he grumbled as a response, "going on a quest.

As Pinball listened to the NPC quest giver Cosi simply waited for the dark haired player's response, arms crossed. When Pinball got up to leave- apparently to take up the quest- Cosi quickly followed suit. The blonde haired tank sighed, accepted the quest, and quickly followed Pin outside. He then reached out and put a hand on Pin's shoulder, stopping or at least slowing the high level player. "Alright. So there's nothing to explain. That's fine but I'm coming along. I'm still a friend Pin. Nothing in this game matters. It only matters that as many of us get out of here an make it back to the real world." Cosi gave Pin a smile but his eyes were determined and unflinching. "Lead the way Pin. What quest are we going on?" Cosi then looked over to the girl player who was there as well. He didn't know her but she seemed to know Pin, "You coming as well?" 

@Kirbs

She raised a brow as the obvious NPC talked. What great timing. Ugh, this is unbelievable. I just wanted a bloody drink! But, no! The universe just to screw me up all over again! She huffed, following after Pin and the unknown blonde. "Yeah, yeah, I'm coming." She dashed ahead of them. Turning around, she walked backwards. "I am definitely not forgiving you and your crap from that quest!" She seethed, pointing an accusing finger at Pinball. "So don't think that this quest is going to throw that out the window!" She spun around and slowed to their pace of walking. Cocking her head towards the unfamiliar player, she gave him a small smile. "I'm Kirbs by the way. That's not how I usually act by the way. That Pinball guy just gets on my nerves a lot." She mumbled the last bit sheepishly as she glanced at the orange cursor above a certain someone's head.

@Pinball @Cosi

Still a friend. 
The words echoed in his head, slowly building up to an amplification of such volume that drowned out any other hope of another thought surfacing. He grit his teeth, but he held his tongue, and he stormed down the streets... before realizing he was an orange player, and that guards were hostile. Luckily, there were only two of them that spotted him. 
"Hey!
"Stop right there!
And then came the sound of steel being drawn, and the noisy charge of two guards. "Damn it!" Pinball whirled around, placing a hand on his sword, and ran the opposite direction. He was quick, and they were on such a low floor that even if they did catch up to him, their attacks would either be easily evaded or wouldn't deal much damage to him at all, given his healthpool. Pinball didn't look back, though; not even to check if the two green players were following suit. He hoped not. When was it a good idea to follow a murderer into dangerous territory? He wouldn't trust himself. Nobody should. 

Cosi briskly followed Pin outside. The spear user seemed very off. And that makes sense because for whatever reason he's now an orange player. And that unspoken reason probably has something to do with killing another player. The blonde haired tank's gaze turned steely as his stared at the back of Pinball's head. Why won't you talk to me Pin? I get we weren't best of friends but still I considered you a friend so I'm always here to help. Cosi was about to open his mouth when he heard an exclamation from behind him. Cosi spun around to see two NPC guards point at Pinball and draw swords. Pin instantly sprinted off. Cosi, in a split second realized he'd have to not only catch up to Pin but make sure the guards lost them. So quickly Cosi grabbed the nearest large object and threw it into the guards path. That object happened to be a large barrel. Cosi knocked down a couple more barrels and then raced after the orange player. A cursory backwards glance showed that the NPCs had tripped over the first rolling barrel and were trying to avoid the others. Cosi grinned at continued after Pinball, not actually glancing back to see if the female player- Kirbs was it?- had been able to or was following.

@Kirbs 

Kirbs yelped as both of them sprinted off. Leave the lady by herself. Chivalry is dead! She sighed and ran after them, turning back every few seconds or so to see the guards trailing after them. Jesus Christ, is this some kind of frekin’ action movie? It’s like a cliche plot all over! She turned her head back in front of her and widened her eyes when she saw barrels rolling down her way. “Oh, [flbttt]! Hey, what the hell, man?” She narrowly dodged the battles and lifted her head to see Cosi’s. “You could’ve flattened me! Like a bloody pancake!” She hissed, catching up to him after a few seconds. Kirbs craned her head around and saw that the barrels did in fact manage to slow down the guards. Oh, bajeesus. If I turn into a wanted criminal, tell Landon that I stole his cheespuffs. Where the heck are we even going anyway? 

@Pinball @Cosi

Pinball ran. And he glanced back over his shoulder to see two green players, knocking over barrels to slow down the guards that they were running from now. Pinball couldn't help but laugh, if only for a moment before being again bogged down darker thoughts. But before that happened, he shouted, like it was the funniest thing in the world, 
"You're both accomplices!
And he turned, laughed, and kept running. 
And running. And running. And running. Out of town, out of the safe zone, through the desert and all the way to the cave where the quest took place - without stopping once. He came to a stop, letting out a short puff of air. It was hot and unpleasant, but the weather didn't have much of an effect on him anymore - and nowadays it felt like he could run for hours on end if he wasn't fighting. Was this what it meant to be a frontliner? 
Pinball turned, fully expecting to see the other two players lagging behind. He crossed his arm, and, making a decision he was sure he'd regret, he waited for them to catch up. 

@Cosi

Cosi followed close on Pin's heels. The blonde haired player chanced one more backwards glance and saw that Kirbs was indeed still following. Cosi gave her a sheepish grin at her accusatory exclamation. "Sorry!" Then Cosi pciked up the pace and continued after Pinball. It didn't look like the high level player was going to stop. And if fact he didn't. Not when the three left the city. Not when they entered the desert. The trio didn't stop until Pin had reached the cave that had the quest marker above it. Without his heavy armor the only thing really weighing Cosi down was his boa, Ladon, so Cosi was able to almost keep up with Pin and only fell a little bit behind. Cosi had no idea about the female player. When Cosi caught up with the finally stationary Pinball Cosi bent over at the waist, bracing his hands on his knees, and began sucking in air. Cosi stood, put his hands on his head, and smiled at Pin, "I had forgotten how fast you were Pin." 

@Kirbs

Kirbs has just managed to get in the cave about half a minute after Cosi. Wheezing, she held up a finger, “I haven’t ran that much since my brother stole my bag of chips...! Jesus Christ!” She wheezed, pressing the palm of her hands against her knees. “And... and...” She pointed to Pinball with a pained expression. “I am not your bloody accomplice! I swear to god, I do start seeing some kind of wanted posters back in town, I’ll rip your head off!” She exclaimed, poking Pinball in the chest with a frown. Her breath hitched as realization kicked in. “Oh god, I am so, so, so screwed. Why did I come here? I could’ve just stayed in that bloody tavern and be happy with my life!” She raked her fingers through her red hair and groaned. “Why did I follow a frekin’ dude to the middle of nowhere?” She rambled on and on and on.

@Cosi @Pinball

They kept up easily - or, well, Cosi did. That was good. Truth be told, Pinball hadn't taken this quest before - and he wasn't one to research a quest before accepting one. He told himself it kept things interesting. But that wasn't why he did that, and he knew that, even though he did his best to keep those thoughts supressed. They were ugly, and Pinball didn't want to have to acknowledge them. Not yet. Partly because of his new views on life and death, and partly because, despite it all, he was scared. It was the same reason he's never worn any real armor - and that stretched all the way to the beginning of the game, from way back when Lucy died. 

Pinball had a death wish. 

He stared at Kirbs for a moment, though his smile quickly faded, and he shook his head. "I forgot about the wanted posters," he muttered. He opened his inventory and was suddenly chugging a potion. As soon as he was finished with it, he tossed the empty vial over his shoulder. "Yeah, the posters." He grimaced, then, glaring straight at the both of them, drew his weapon. "I forgot there was a reward for bringing me in." He stood his ground, looking both of them down, a silent snarl tugging at his features. He gripped DawnBringer hard, the golden blade glinting as it caught the sunlight. "Are you going to do something about that?" He was probably gonna have to run if they called anyone. 

Consumed: T1 Perfect Potion - Greater Burning Edge: +3 DMG [#106105-2] 
Consumed: T2 Perfect Meal - Enhanced Apple Cider: +2 DMG (-20 MIT) [#110437-1]
DMG: 10 -> 15

Edited by Pinball

Cosi shrugged at the mention of the reward and simply smiled, "Nope. I don't need the money and even if I did I wouldn't came after you Pin. I don't know the full story. All I see right now is a friend of mine with an orange crystal and using a sword instead of his spear oddly enough." Cosi pointed to and glance at the weapon, "I better not have to be Mars and have to convince you to use your spear again." Cosi wanted to keep talking but he just trailed off. I don't enough to pass judgement or point my finger. But he won't talk. Cosi sighed and knocked his steel gauntlets together a couple times. "So what are we doing? and specifically are we fighting one or multiple enemies?" Cosi looked to Pinball and then over to Kirbs. He had almost forgotten she was there. Kinda hard when she talks so much. "We'll be fine. I don't even know who's hunting orange players but just don't go around blabbing that you were with Pinball. Also if you had wanted to stay why did you come?"

@Kirbs

“Yeah, about that. I totally forgot to friend Hestia, and bringing out Dustin would be totally pointless since you went ham and cheese on his hand,” she rubbed the back of her with a sweatdrop. “Plus, do I look like I’m in a bloody posterior tk turn you in? Poor me should be traumatized right now!” Kirbs exclaimed. She rubbed the bridge of her nose with a strained sigh but rolled her eyes. “Babble is what I do best, I thought that’s be the first thing you’d get about me,” she raised an eyebrow at Cosi as she said that. “But whatever, I don’t want both of you on my arse about it so I won’t say anything.” She exhaled un frustration and threw her hands up, “I mean, I don’t know! What do you expect me to do? Plus, I really didn’t want to stay in that oven of a town.”

@Pinball @Cosi

He sighed, sheathing his sword. Why didn't they get it? He had killed somebody. Taken their life - one of the most disgusting crimes a person could commit. And yet nobody seemed to care; at least, they didn't seem concerned with the gravity of it all, and even less so when it came to his Wanted status. 
Maybe Mars was right. He had suspected his rival's words to be true, but recent events were only solidifying that belief. He was starting, even more so then he was already, to adopt Mars' philosophy as his own. The only truth in the world was that life was fleeting. 
And in the end, it didn't really matter who was left alive. 
He felt his head throb - and he visibly flinched, bringing his hand to his head, though quickly shaking it off. For a split second, he had almost felt like he had wanted to vomit. Disgusting thoughts pervading the security of his own mind...
"Blehh," was all Pinball said before turning around and entering the cave. "Stay behind me. Both of you.

((Combat starts next round)) 

• 2 weeks later...

Cosi followed Pinball into the cave, after equipping his war hammer Inbrunst, but he didn't stay close to the orange player. He slowed his pace till he was keeping pace with Kirbs, "So what Happened with pin? You seem to know at least something of how he got the orange cursor. Care to enlighten me, Please? I knew him before but he's changed and I haven't seen him in forever. I just want to know what happened to my friend." Cosi kept calling Pinball his friend even though he hardly knew the guy. Still I'm his friend whether he wants it or not. I won't leave someone to go through their trials alone. Even if they feel like its one hundred percent their fault. Cosi turned to Kirbs and waited for her answer, looking at her expectantly. Also I wonder what this quest is going to be. Pin has literally said nothing about it. I should probably check my quest log and see if it says anything about it.

@Kirbs