[SP - F01] «The First Few Lessons are Free»

After meeting up with Kirbs, Jun decided to continue on with adventure. There were tons of players flooding the first floor, making their way towards an elderly man. ‘What is going on right now?’ He followed the flock of players and there was a man who was assisting players just like Jun. “Wait.. What is going on right now?” A player who was running by stopped and pointed at the NPC, “Players who have yet to start a quest is really just itching to finish their very first one.” Before Jun could ask another question, the player took off. ‘It’s been two years, why are players still doing their first quest.. Unless they are also in the same boat as I am.’ He sighed, before walking towards the crowd of players. Tons of players were shouting left and right and slowly dispersed one by one. Jun stayed back until the very last player left with their quest and the NPC instantly acknowledges Jun’s presence. “Hello, young adventurer! I can help you learn the basics of Sword Art Online. Why don’t you come over here?” Jun sighed and made his way across the street and toward the NPC, making sure to watch out for other players.

My name is Zakariah and what is your name?” The elderly man asked. Jun looked straight at the NPC and he had the appearance of an obese man who people connect him with a holiday. “Jun.” He replied. “What a nice name, Jun. I have a request to ask of you. I require five tier one materials. I will reward you handsomely, of course.” Jun was interested, as he needed to find his way to increasing his damage without tragically falling behind. He nodded his head and Zakariah pulled out a list of materials he requires and hands it off to Jun. Zakariah proceeds to walk away and Jun was ready to begin his journey. ‘Alright, it’s time to get started! So these materials are sort of the same.’ He put away the list and makes his way towards the gates of the Town of Beginning. There were several guards protecting the gates, keeping monsters away and making sure to put down any player killers. ‘Idiot.. Why are you doing this? If you encounter a mob, you better stand your ground.. There is no going back.’ He took a step out the gate and the soundtrack began to slowly transition. The atmosphere felt different, but it was not a bad feeling. “Alright, let’s get this quest done as soon as possible. I have to catch up to, Kirbs. Can’t pretend to be someone on the same level as her.” He smiled at himself and took off towards the forest.

Jun made his way through the forest and heard rustling behind him, he quickly motioned his hand in the air, materializing his sword. ‘Just like playing on the keyboard, I was able to motion-bind weapon equip.’ Before he was going to strike, Zakariah appeared before him. “G--Gramps.. What are you doing out here? It is dangerous for you to be out he--” He paused for a moment. ‘He is just a non-playable character. Even if he were to be attacked, he would simply respond in his tavern.. Right?’ The elderly man points over to a bush with herbs residing in them. “I am here to assist you on your quest. Did you think I would let you wander around the wild without any help?” Jun surprised by the appearance of the NPC, but had a smile on his face. He took a deep breath and stuck his hands into the brush. His eyes lit up and the brush exploded into hundreds of polygons.

ID: 109810 | LD: 19
T1 material gathered.

01/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun
I read the quest wrong.. But I am going to go with it!

Very good, Jun. You successfully gathered your first material on your first try!” Jun’s eyes were still lit up and just could not help a smile. ‘Wow.. This was barely anything and I felt like I accomplished something great.’ Zakariah points over at a brush a little further away and Jun tosses the material at Zakariah. He watches as the material fades into the NPC’s body and ran over to the brush. ‘Okay.. I need four more. I just need to be able to gather these materials and we should head back into the town.’ He stuck his hand into the brush and wiggled around a little bit, but he did not feel anything. “Uh.. Nothing is happening.. Zakariah?” Jun calls out for him and just like that, the NPC appeared before him and tapped on the brush. It vanishes and Jun falls back and sighs. “I guess we are moving on, old man.” The NPC smiles as Jun picks himself off the ground.

ID: 109838 | LD: 01
Failed to gather T1 material.

01/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun

Zakariah points over at the distance and looks over at Jun, “When you are ready, there is another brush over there.” Jun began walking over towards the brush with still determination left in him. ‘I wonder if there are equipments that could raise my chances of looting.. I could just loot all day and just ignore everyone..’ He smiles at himself and spots a few boars and wolves in the distance. ‘Well.. That might be a problem if I encounter them while doing this quest.’ He finds the brush and quickly runs over to it. ‘Let’s try this again.. Gotta make sure not to make too much sounds.’ Jun stuck his hands into the brush and wiggled around again, but felt nothing.. ‘Tch.. Again?’ He removes his hand from the brush and taps on it. The brush ruptures into polygons once again and he falls onto his back and sighs. “That’s the second one, old man.” He watches as the NPC approach him with a smile.

ID: 109839 | LD: 05

01/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun

Let’s keep it going, Jun. I know you can do it!” Zakariah vocalized and Jun had to stand up and agree with him. “You’re not wrong there, old man. I just thought I would get something inspirational, you know?” He replied, as the two begin search for another brush. “Like, patience is not about waiting, but the ability to keep a good attitude while waiting. Something like that.” He adds. The NPC offers a gentle smile at the young adventurer and Jun quickly turns his head away, embarrassed. ‘Even though he is an NPC, I am still terrified when talking to someone. This social anxiety rocks..’ Zakariah stops Jun in his tracks and points at another brush. “On you go, Jun.” Jun walks over to the brush and began to search around the brush. ‘Man.. This one looks empty anyways..’ He taps the brush with his foot and it explodes into polygons.

ID: 109840 | LD: 07

01/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun

The time is slowly passing by and Jun still only had one material gathered. ‘At this rate.. I will be finished by the end of the day.’ Zakariah pats Jun on the back and reveals another brush beside them. “Don’t you worry. It takes time for things to come together. Just like you, others had to endure this quest. There were none that successfully passed this quest with ease.” Jun smirks and looks over at the brush and back at Zakariah. ‘This guy.. Even though he is just an NPC, it does boost the morale. I guess it isn’t so bad after all.’ He approaches the brush and sticks his hand into the brush to wiggle around. He felt nothing again and before he could tap on the brush, it vanished and was replaced with fading polygons. “Man, I thought this quest is supposed to be easy. You know, being a quest for beginners.” He stretched out his arms and sighed.

ID: 109841 | LD: 05

01/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun

Another failure, but determination is still what keeps Jun going. ‘For good sake, what am I going to do.. This is the fifth time that I have failed this gathering thing.. I should probably get to think about what profession I should be doing too.’ Zakariah taps Jun on the shoulder and continues to help lead him to other brushes. “You know, I am still trying to figure out what to do once I am finished here, you know? This is the first time I have really heard of this quest. So I want to really start aiming for a really good weapon.” Jun said to Zakariah. The NPC taps on his chin and snaps his fingers. “After you finish this quest, there is a person that could actually help you with what you need help with.” He replied. ‘Someone that can help me with that? If I read the data retrieved by a few players. There is a beginner sword called Anneal Blade. I can try to get that.

ID: 109841 | LD: 04

01/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun

Jun collapses on the ground and stares up into the blue sky, “This is awful, you know? I have been trying to collect these materials and I just get nothing. Maybe I am getting bad luck.” He sighs and watches as the birds fly through the sky. The insects are scurrying around him and the sound of polygons shattering. ‘I think I should probably get this done, so I do not have to fall behind with the rest of the players.’ He slowly gets back onto his feet and Zakariah is already pointing towards the next brush. ‘You know.. These coders are amazing.. Just a NPC pointing at the objective.’ He walks over to the brush and sticks his hands in and starts to wiggle around. There was nothing inside and Jun stood up and kicks the brush to watch it explode into polygons. ‘T--This actually sucks.’ He sighs and punches the tree beside him in anger.

ID: 109975 | LD: 06

01/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun

Before Zakariah could even point toward the next brush, Jun immediately ran over to the next one. 'I am not going to fail.. Not again.. This time.. This time I will get something out of this one. I can't slow down here.. Even if it takes me centuries, I am going to finish this quest!' He thrusts his right arm into the leaves, feeling every blade of every single leaf slice through him. The pain was something he could take and it was no problem for him, as determination is flowing through the course of his body. 'I feel something! This has to be it!' He ejects his arm out of the brush and falls back onto his bum. He grins widely and looks over at Zakariah and dangles a berry in front of his face. "I finally did it, old man! I finally got another one!" The NPC nods his head and Jun tosses the berry at him. "We have three more to go, old man!" He shouts with enthusiasm.

ID: 110056 | LD: 12
T1 material gathered.

02/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun

Zakariah catches the material and shoves them in a herb bag and points over to the next brush. 'If the percentages is correct, I am going to be here for a long time. But I am sure this is all just RNG..' Jun knew he had to not allow his emotions to get to him, but when he constantly fails, that is what makes him feel frustrated. He charges toward the brush and leaps into it without a second thought. He ends up on the other side and flat on his back. The brush explodes into hundreds of polygon, leaving his unsatisfied. "So far.. I have a success rate of twenty eight percent.. This is not looking good for me." The elderly man slowly walks up to the young adventurer and offers him a hand. "Don't worry, I will be by your side until we finish!" Jun smiles at the elderly man and looks straight up at the sky. 'What a day.. I guess I gotta keep going.'

ID: 110057 | LD: 02

02/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun

After failing once again, Jun hops onto his feet and began walking around the forest and Zakariah follows right behind him. 'I swear, sometimes I just have the worst RNG and I cannot gather materials to save my life. I wonder if I got a profession, would it be easier?' He stops and turns to the NPC and taps his chin. "What is the best type of profession? If I were to try and take on a job. Do you have any idea?" He asks, but Zakariah simply stares at the player. 'I guess I will have to figure that one on my own.. I heard of people taking a quest about the profession.. So maybe I should look into that some more.' He turns around and follows the path toward another area. Zakariah points at a brush and Jun immediately runs over to see if he could pick at the brush once again. As he stuck his hand into the brush, it was as if he knew there was nothing there. He pulls his hand out and watch as the brush slowly fade away from his sight.

ID: 110066 | LD: 09

02/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun

That was not going to stop Jun from keeping his determination. 'I have to keep on going.. I am only level two as of now.' He quickly walks around other brushes and spots one that was not close with the others. "Zakariah.. Maybe this one has the materials we need!" He got started as soon as he could, sticking his hands into the brush. Without a sign of hesitation, he pulls out another material and falls onto his back with a giant grin on his face. "I got another one! That means we need to get two more and we will be set!" He tosses the material at the elderly man and Zakariah catches it. 'This is it.. I am almost finish with this game.' He stands up and brushes the dirt off his coat and walks over to the NPC. "Look at that boy, we are almost done with this and you will be on your merry way!" The NPC shouts, as he lets out a giant laugh.

ID: 110116 | LD: 13
T1 material gathered.

03/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun

Jun felt the sense of accomplishment when he finally got his third material, but the brush withered away and he had to find another brush to pick out another material. 'I need to make sure that I do not get ambushed by any monsters lurking around the area. It seems like there are still players running around. I should be fine.' Jun glances around the forest and Zakariah instantly points out at another brush. The young adventurer quickly dashes toward the brush and made sure to keep his eye out on the boars that were around. He slides toward the brush and rolled up his sleeves. 'I better be quick, I can see a few monsters ahead of me..' He dug his hand into the brush and wiggled his hand around the brush and felt nothing. He sighs and pulls his hand out to watch the brush slowly vanish from his eyes. 'Not again.. I was just getting really hyped for it.. Okay.. I need to fall back. If I stay here any longer I might be attacked and who knows what could go wrong.' He quickly jumps backward and ran toward Zakariah.

ID: 110117 | LD: 04

03/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun

"You are starting to get used to how things are going, Jun. Maybe I should try and let you be on your own a little more." Zakariah smiles at the young adventurer and he smiles back. 'I guess the quest is going to be over once I start to get closer to the objective.' The two walk alongside the path and was looking around to see if there were any other brushes left. 'Man there are a few things I want to do once I finish this quest!' As soon as he finished his thought, Jun quickly found a brush and ran over to see if he could grab some material. He dug his hands into the brush and quickly pulled out the next material he needed for the quest. "One more, old man! I just need to get one more and we can finally get the hell out of the forest!" Zakariah smiles as Jun is filled with so much joy in his eyes.

ID: 110168 | LD: 13
T1 material gathered.

04/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun

Pumping with so much energy, Jun could not help but shout up toward the sky. He stood his ground with both his feet and clenched his fists before shouting, "AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" The elderly man simply smiled as Jun calmly catches his breath and looks over to Zakariah. 'Okāsan are you watching? This is only just a game, but I think I am going to be just fine.. I know that you are watching.. I just.. I finally feel like I have done something..' Zakariah walks over to pat Jun on the shoulder and puts back to the Town of Beginning. "We need to head back towards my Alchemy Lab. Shall we get ready to go now?" He asked. 'Ah.. I am not done yet. Alright let's head back.' Jun nods his head and the two begin to head back towards the gate. The day was ending and players were starting to rush back into the gate for safety.

ID: 110169 | LD: 16
T1 material gathered.

05/05 Materials Gathered

Edited by Jun
  • 3 weeks later...

Zakariah began unlocking the door for his alchemy lab, as Jun glances through the window to see empty vials sitting on his shelves. "Old man, you need to start cleaning up around here.. You won't be able to attract any customers like this.." He jokingly said, but there was no response from the NPC. "Guess you have not been coded to really have a blown out conversation with low leveled players like me, huh?" Also no response, but as the door creaks open, the two head inside the shop. Every step they took, there was a creak in the wooden floor. "I apologize for the mess, please come towards the back of the workshop when you are ready to being the process." Jun had his eyes on the NPC, as he head towards the back of the workshop. 'I guess I need to start crafting away.. And then once I am done, I can get out of here..' He takes a deep breath and proceeds to walk into the workshop.

Jun steps up toward a wooden table in front of him and the materials that are laid out in front of him. "Jun.. Today we will attempt to craft a tier one potion. You are not registered under a profession, so this will help you determine if you would like to become an Alchemist." Jun nods his head and grabs an empty vial and places it on a wooden plate. He fills the vial with water and proceeds to add several petals of roses into the vial and began to swirl. The vial began to glow a bright blue color and before he knew it, a potion was created."Impressive! On your very first try, you have created a perfect tier one potion! You did not have to dig into my reserves as well! I am proud of you!" Zakariah takes the potion and deposits the concoction into his inventory. Jun's eyes lit up and he thrusts his fists into the air, "YES! I AM FINALLY DONE!" He exclaims.

ID: 110875 | CD: 10
Attempting to craft T1 Potion..
Success!

01/01 Potion crafted

Edited by Jun

Thinking ahead of himself, Jun quickly began thinking about what to do next. 'Now that I am done with this quest, I should probably take a look around to see if there are other things to do.. I should also head to a blacksmith to get some equipment! I am rather weak at the moment..' Before Jun could leave the workshop, Zakariah pulls him closer to him. "Actually.. I have another request for you to do.. If you don't mind.." Zakariah smiles at him and awaits for his response. Jun stood there, blinking at the NPC. "A--Another.. Quest.. I thought I would be able to take a break from this for a while! You know.. Just tell me what I have to do! I'll get started already!" Jun shouts toward the NPC and he smiles and turns around to wrap a parcel. "There is a local Blacksmith who is also on the same floor. His name is Lyle Tealeaf and I need you to deliver this package to him as soon as you could." The parcel is immediately deposited into Jun's inventory and he lets out a sigh. "Alright.. I'm on it!" He says in an unmotivated tone.

Edited by Jun

Jun began walking around the Town of Beginning, but he had no idea where to start looking. 'I.. I just took the package and did not think to ask for direction.. But it is too late to turn back now.. I just need to look for a blacksmith.. It has to be nearby here.. No way I could miss it!' He began to walk around the alleyway to see if the workshop was tucked away in the back, but there was nothing but abandoned buildings nearby. He opens his map up and began tracking his steps to see if there was anything he had miss. 'This blacksmith has to be close somewhere.. I could practically smell the quest finishing at this point.. I need to really look through these requirements before accepting quests.. Then again.. These are lower leveled quests..' Jun found an anvil and hammer as a sign and he quickly dashes towards the shop at top speed. "I found it! I just have to find Lyle!" The tone of his voice was high in excitement as he ran across the cobblestone floor.