[PP-F5] Interlude: The Last Debt

Busy streets, lots of players. It was around lunchtime so it was no surprise that there was so much going on on the fifth floor. Everybody was moving, trying to get some food, supplies or anything else except one player. That one player was out of everybody's sight waiting on top of the roofs with his brown eyes focused only on one thing. The door of a small smithy. He was waiting for someone. Someone special. It was the last unfinished business he had left to settle and after this he would be ready to bring his final operation into action. Aereth had already prepared everything, his inventory slots were stacked with potions, food as well as debuff items, and he was armed to the teeth. Everything on him was either new or upgraded accordingly for a tier three player. But he wouldn't need any of these items now.

The door slowly opened and revealed the unmistakable purple strands of hair that gave their owner her special nickname. "Purple..." the brunette whispered before slowly getting up and dropping down into a dark hallway just beneath him. While still in free fall, the brunette simultaneously activated his disguise and hiding skill turning into an average sized player with black hair and leather armor, practically making him invisible in the big crowd. Yes he still had that orange cursor, but he wasn't the only orange player in the streets, so he would easily blend in while following The purple haired woman. 

Step by step he closed the distance between them until he was just one step behind her. Then he passed her, gently putting a small crystal in the first pocket he could find, before slowly drifting away and fading back into the crowd again, slowly but surely making his way over to the teleport gate to leave again.

Spoiler

Dear Purple,

First things first: I suck at writing letters so I'll try and keep this one as short as possible.
But most importantly, I'm writing this letter in order to try and settle our open... let's just call it 'issue'.
You know me, so I hope you'll understand if I'm just being straight and honest with you. I really was confused, irritated, sad and very very very angry when I first realized that you had... Left. And to be really honest it still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth just thinking about it. But I accepted it. I can't say that I know you very well since... I really f*cking don't, but I always assumed that you always had your reasons for what you did.

And thinking about it I kinda can guess what the main reasons were that you left. There were more than enough for a girl to leave... But enough of that. The main thing I want to tell you with this letter is thank you for everything you did for me and for everything you helped me with especially saving me from myself. And even if I cannot repay you everything you gave me, I'll still try and give back as much as I can. Just know that I'm really grateful for that and that I really cared for you.

Keep on fighting, pushing, dreaming and keep on struggling to find your happiness inside and outside of Aincrad and know that I don't hold any grudges towards you anymore.

Max

Attached: 2000Col 20T1 Mats 30T2 Mats 10T3 Mats and the letter Teion left at Aereth's place

Even though not everything he wrote wasn't entirely true, he still had the urge to close this last issue, to cut his last ties to his old self. And with that he felt better. He felt lighter. Now he could finally start his last task without anything in the back of his head that could hold him back. Now he was ready to face his last demons.

@Teion

OOC: You can reply in that thread if you feel like you want, otherwise I'll just close it. :) (Also beware of typos and grammar errors.)

Edited by Aereth
  • 1 year later...

Just a normal day. They were all starting to blend together by now. Teion made her way through the town of Fortaleza, taking the same old paths from her blacksmith shop to the teleport plaza in the middle of the settlement. She had gotten used to longer walks, having to trek between cities in what felt like a year or so ago before Armadillo's disappearance.

The streets were a bit more crowded than she preferred, but she moved along with the flow of foot traffic just as easily as the other players. She felt someone's shoulder brush up against her own, like maybe they had squeezed between her and another figure. She cast a glance over her shoulder, but with no idea who she had passed by, she ignored the fleeting feeling and continued on her way.

She reached into a pouch at her side, only for her fingers to notice that the clasp was already undone. Her brows narrowed, and she reached inside more hurriedly, seconds away from pulling up her menus and scanning her inventory for anything that might turn up missing. Instead she felt the folded letter, pulling it out and looking at the unmarked outside with confusion. Her pace had slowed to a crawl, and when another player nearly knocked her off balance while trying to get by, she gave another searching glance behind her before breaking away from the main road.

Her stomach was churning by the time she finished reading the letter. Her eyes stung with tears that threatened to fall, and a hot wind brushed across her cheeks. She struggled to look back up towards the crowd, but she did, uselessly looking over the players that went about their day around her. She clumsily found a nearby bench, sitting down and going back to staring at the words written out in her hands. She'd spend a long time re-reading and mulling over the letter's contents, stewing in her emotions, and softly muttering to herself under her breath, "Damn it..."