[PP-F4] Bitter Reawakenings

"Orange(crimes unleashing a high leveled psychopath into the world of Aincrad who had been previously locked under lock and key. If one is seen the other might follow.)"

And there he stood, in the cold blizzard as he stepped alone through the freezing climate. There was so much to be desired of the lands, yet his hollow eyes couldn't detect a glimmer of it's beauty. This was the one floor he came to relax in. Six to seven months of absence and that was the message he received? So that's why they didn't come back home. What was Sey supposed to do now? Well... If there was any reason for him to perish, it would be because of the divide between the people and the one he cherished. Could he vent his frustrations out on the enemies on the floor? Sure, if he wanted to kill himself in the process. Simply put, his spear was dropped and he never managed to pick up a weapon on par with it. Since the monsters adjust their stats to his, he was committing suicide if he decided to engage.

He just... Wanted all of this to end. All the madness, all the drama, the things he cared about working together. But something was holding this nightmare together, and he didn't care who or what it was, Sey didn't have much pity left to spare at this point. He'll just cut it out from his life just so he could have some sort of peace again.

It didn't take much longer for him to return to the safe zone after a freezing walk, he would just look down as he stepped among those who were also arriving and exiting. At least he still had his green crystal to earn validation in society... Something that they couldn't. Just the thought made him grit his teeth as he would finally make his way inside.

The fourth floor was one of the most popular in Aincrad. Be it the snow, or the festive Christmas feel, players seemed to flock to the winter wonderland like flies to manure.

Moira just didn't see the appeal. The air was too cold, and her chest burned as she drew deep breaths. Goosebumps raced up and down her skin, as it was covered only by a simple long-sleeved shirt and black trousers. So many other players milled about as if they couldn't feel the chill, while she fought to hide her tremble. Hell, in Sword Art Online, it was entirely possible that some skill kept the bite at bay. She had no idea, meaning she didn't have such skill, meaning she was really effing cold.

But as so many people preferred the fourth floor, many of her favorite shops were established there as well. Moira was forced to venture this way every few months for a bit of shopping, and her arms were filled with bags, as she strode purposefully toward the transport.

The bags went flying as a hard body rammed into her.

Moira swore viciously, rounding on the other player instead of stooping to collect her spilled purchases. "I sure hope you're blind, pal," she snarled, eyes flashing dangerously, "as that's the only excuse you've got for running into me."

Edited by Moira

It appears that he had charged into another player, knocking both of them down in the process. Seems like she blends in a slight bit with the snow, though perhaps not to his level with the attire she wore. Speaking of things that don't blend in, her swearing that was sure to get plenty of attention before she started to threaten him. Looks like he didn't have an excuse by her standards, but he wasn't going to start a conflict here.

"I-I'm sorry." Sey tried to apologize for what he had done, though not really quite willing to move right now before scratching the back of his head, trying to lean up right after. "I wasn't paying attention, and I didn't mean to startle you. Is there anything I can do to make it up to you?"

He wasn't in the mood for conflict, and those eyes were threatening to dig deep inside his soul if they flared any more than they did right now. All of the shopping bags around the area, it seems like he ruined a shopping day. What a fair exchange, the life of someone he cared about and bags being flown after what looked like a full day's worth of shopping. They may as well have been the same thing.

Moira grit her teeth, partially in anger, and partially to keep them from clattering. Her pants were grime-covered, and she wiped at them once before deeming it a lost cause. As the other player wasn't making any move to do so, she finally turned and began to collect her belongings. Food she wouldn't eat again, as much of it had been trampled by passersby. Stained fabric, tattered scarves. "Just peachy," she growled under her breath, before sucking on her teeth in a gesture of annoyance.

His apology seemed genuine enough, as did his offer to make it up to her. But considering the fool did nothing to help her clean up, she doubted his true sincerity. "Sure," she finally answered flatly, "you can make it up to me. Buy me a coffee."

The request came to her out of nowhere, and hearing the words surprised even herself. But her head was beginning to pound, and she was frozen - a cup of liquid heaven seemed like a good choice. She'd be willing to put up with his company if it meant free coffee.

Perhaps starstruck, perhaps just uncaring. Regardless, he was not picking up those bags. Instead, the request was for her to be given a cup of coffee on him. Sounds... Easy enough. Okay, if that was what she needed, it was a pretty cold floor after all. And hey, Sey was getting off pretty easy considering the lack of col that needed to be paid. At least, in comparison to what he had currently.

"Consider it done. The choice of location is yours, I'll follow and buy whatever coffee you desire." Sey explained. He needed something to get his mind off of those stupid fliers all over the boards, maybe this was it. Sure, he felt somewhat guilty considering his carelessness caused this woman to flip out. On the plus side, he managed to obtain some form of social interaction, even if this one seemed more willing to put him down. Whatever, he was used to customers who gave him attitude anyways.

Moira took a moment to summon her menu, hardly hearing the twinkle of bells over the chatter of the crowd. With a few practiced motions, she flung her salvageable items into her inventory, saving her the trouble of carting the dirty bags around. When she dismissed the HUD, she blew out a long breath, watching it hover like white smoke on her lips.

In truth, she had no preference where they had their coffee. Moira had so little col to her name that she'd been existing off the cheap stuff for far too long. Now that she had dedicated herself to venturing out more, maybe she'd be able to afford the real stuff. Until then, however, she'd make the absolute most of this chump's kindness.

"Hmm," she mused aloud, pursing her lips as she scanned the nearest storefronts. She selected the one that looked the most posh, the most expensive, and stalked toward it. He'd keep up, she figured, if he'd stay true to his word.

Tugging open the door, a blast of warm air hit her with the force of a freight train. Moira had to bite her lip to keep from moaning, relishing in the heat of the upscale coffee shop. "Thank god," she crooned softly.

There were few people in the shop, perhaps due to the high prices outlined on the fancy scroll-work menus. That was fine with Moira. Practically salivating at the thought, she selected the most expensive cup they had, and ordered the largest size.

Keeping up was no big deal, he had plenty of runs to go through. Sometimes he would vanish, and the feeling of doing it was nice. Perhaps he could return to the frontlines after all if this was the type of rush he would have to use.

Go large or go home. Or perhaps find the right way to phrase that, he hasn't heard that from his father in a while. Regardless, this woman seemed to be a fan of the phrase. Her order was nothing short of the most expensive, she'd be suffering heart attacks with the size of coffee she orders. Perhaps she was just trying to hibernate for the winter, she definitely seemed to have the temper of a mother grizzly.

Either she was in a bitter mood, or those woman was always this pushy with people. Considering the amount she shopped for, it looked like the latter was possible. Still, Sey was willing to bet he had more col. Damn, did he go to the gym, because Sey was flexing.

Bad jokes out of the way, he would watch her as her fingers would flick through the menu to order through the high-priced coffees before confirming that it was the largest one with the most expensive coffee. With the way it was priced, the damn thing better taste like gold.

It's okay. Sey ordered the same. Why? He wanted to taste gold too while he was here.

"Well, I never had this before." He muttered to himself before placing his face down against his palm while looking to the side towards the window. And then his thoughts would begin to recollect, seeing more papers. His purple eyes would began to hollow yet again as the same bitter feeling was returning. Part of him would hope she started scolding him, that was far easier to withstand. "Hm..."

He was playing along. As they waited for their drink, Moira cut the man a quick glance, feeling a sudden flare of admiration. Given his response to bowling her over, she had expected him to bulk at her demand for coffee. If not then, her impressive order should have been enough to scare him off. Yet here he stood, matching her order, and calling her bluff. Well now, she thought to herself, smirking a bit as she turned away. Isn't that unexpected.

When a pair of massive mugs were placed in front of them, Moira snatched hers up with the finesse of an alcoholic grabbing a fifth. She didn't even bother to thank the waitress before cupping the porcelain, lifting it to her lips, and sipping.

This time, she did loose a little moan as the hot liquid blossomed through her system. She was thanking every god and deity she could think of as she enjoyed the real thing. Real coffee. Nothing cheap, or fake, or watered down. She wasn't sure she had enjoyed something of this quality even before Aincrad. 

She peaked over the rim of her cup at the man, to see how he was enjoying his drink. Surprisingly, he wasn't. Instead, he sat with his face in his hands, his mug still steaming, untouched, at his elbow.

Buyers remorse? Had he spent more than he had on two coffees? Curiosity, and a pin-prick of pity, caused her to violate her precious none-of-my-business rule. "What's wrong with you?" 

Well, it wasn't the scolding that he was used it. It was just her blunt way of asking him what's wrong in what probably was the rudest way to do it. Hey, he was used to her personality already, and Sey was able to read in between the lines. "Well..."

Another silence as he then looked back right at her. Maybe he could tell her, it wasn't like she would care or anything like that. "It's just a little concern of mine. It's all I've been thinking about for the past few days." Now that was the complete truth, it was something that just wouldn't leave his damn head no matter how many times he smacked it. Perhaps he smacked it too hard with the way he's been acting.

"I think I'm about to lose a business partner. Say... One that pretty much holds my whole business up." Sey explained was he looked down to his coffee. It'll get a bit cold. Sure, looks like both his wallet and the coffee were going to have to perish, for he was not done with his tale. "When I met them, they seemed rather interested in business. So I took them in and it turns out, I restructured it to rely on them. So say they were to be executed. Well now that I've relied on them and they are being threatened to death... Well..."

Business? Not exactly. But he wasn't going to spoil who it really was. There was an eight letter word for people you don't know.

It was impossible to hide the flash of surprise when Sey mentioned business. To mask it, Moira took another indulgent swig from her mug while the man continued to speak. Then, slowly, she lowered the coffee back to the table. It made a soft clink as porcelain met glass, but she hardly noticed. Her blue-grey eyes, not unlike the snowy sky out the window, searched his face for a silent moment. Then, she gave a soft hum of interest. He really was fascinating.

"Business?" she asked, drumming perfectly manicured nails on the mug as she held his gaze. The corners of her pale pink lips turned up in a knowing smile. "I had no idea you were a businessman. Now that's something we can discuss over coffee."

There was excitement in her eyes now, with a hint of danger stirred in. "It must be quite exciting work," she continued, her voice steady, her gaze level, "to have death threats and executions involved." There was something silky in the way she spoke, like fingertips sliding over silk, when she added, "It's such a shame about your business partner."

It looks like she held interest in his business. What a sudden change of character, but it wasn't like he could act surprised. Where money is, so are people. At least this one seemed honest about it, though it didn't make her seem any less shallow. But there was nothing wrong with shallow in his eyes, all the best business people seem willing to be sacrificial to ethics for a quick dollar.

"I own my own kitchen, eleventh floor. Currently the head chef of the game." Sey explained casually as he traced his finger over the edge of the mug he had in front of him, not a single bit interested in taking a sip. "And with that comes your fair share of death threats. Then they look at my stats and run away. Executions... Hm, never considered it. I guess if someone is worth the price."

He would then look directly at her when she stated that it was a shame about his business partner. "It does put quite a strain on me. It's all I've been thinking about for the last few days..."

Moira shifted on her plush chair, draping one arm over the back, and crossing one thin leg over the other. It was a position of such casual, elegant ease that it simply oozed calm. Of course, under the surface, she was far from it. Was she really speaking with the top chef in the game? No wonder he was willing to shell out major col for a cup o' joe - he probably had cash coming out his ears. Besides, if he was really as high level as he claimed, he was important in his own right. That was certainly worth digging deeper into.

The woman gave her companion a smile, shaking her shaggy silver hair back from her face. "Aincrad's own MasterChef," she drawled. "I wouldn't have pegged you for it, but I suppose that's how things go sometimes." He looked more like some runway model than a chef, with his long, lanky frame, snow-white hair, and lilac eyes. But looks were deceiving, especially in this death game. 

"Sorry to hear it's been bugging you," she added, and she actually was. She knew how it felt to be weighed down by something, but she was also skilled in shedding the BS and moving on with her life. Perhaps it was time he do the same. "But if you were able to start a business like this, odds are it'll run without help. Just restructure it again. You'll be fine."

Edited by Moira

Fortunately, he had the freedom to even be saying these things. To be so secure to just freely speak about his business like this was quite a luxury. That with a bit of power and one is set to handle the world. Sey didn’t want to abuse this power, and he hasn’t to his knowledge, but he’ll cut someone if they dare cross between him and his money. Simply put, he wasn’t one to just sit down and let money slip from his fingers.

He chuckled lightly when she said she wouldn’t have named him a chef in the slightest. "I think it helped my profile when I begun. I only wear the attire when I'm at work." He placed his hands behind the back of his head, feeling a slight bit relaxed now that he could get his mind off of the situation for just a bit. This woman seemed nice despite being so shallow, but a mask because of his money was still a mask. And if she wanted to start some business transactions with in, there better be some poker chips she was willing to put in.

Her apology seemed genuine enough, and her intentions seemed to be the best. Her focus was encouraging him, and he played it off like he was a businessman. For that, she definitely deserved a bit of credit. "You're right. If I did it once, I'll definitely do it. Any man worth his salt could be made on his own. Thanks... I feel a little better already." Sey explained, and it was true! Sure, he still had to protect someone from being possibly killed, but at least this one was taking his mind off of it. And so he would look to her with a small smile now. "Care to take one for the road? You've been a good help." It seems he was talking about the coffee.

When he commented on feeling better, Moira was slightly taken aback. "Oh," she replied dumbly, blinking owlishly at him. She hadn't actively tried to make him feel better, and yet, here she was doing it. The woman had never been one for pep-talks, which meant that this was an incredibly unusual experience. It took her a moment to compose herself, when she cut a thin smile across her face and added, with more finesse, "I am very glad to hear that."

Already slightly off-balance, his comment about getting a coffee for the road confused her. Moira's gaze dropped to her cup, which she realized was now nearly empty. She leaned forward, downed the mug, and placed it back on the table with a sharp clink. "Hey," she answered easily, "if you're buying, I'll happily take another." 

She stared down at the few drops of dark liquid collected in the bottom of the container, and sighed. She had no idea how long it would be until she had another. "This'll be my last one for a while," she mused aloud, giving her thoughts a voice. "I imagine you never have to worry about that, Mister Moneybags."

She seem surprised? Perhaps the intention wasn't to help, but it was too late now, Sey took it the way he did. And so she would merely add onto it, looks like they agreed. It was slightly amusing to see her thrown off all of a sudden, even while he had zero idea about what she meant to originally say. So, he held his peace until she mentioned that she'll take one if he was paying.

"Waitress? Another cup of the same for the lady, if you will." He would order out to the worker a few tables down. Hey, more money for the business, for that coffee could dent the wallet of a normal player. 

His lips would then frown upon hearing that this is the last cup she'll have in a while. "And why is that?" Sey would ask as he finally sipped on his own coffee. It was warm and pure, but it certainly didn't taste like real gold. "You like money, do you not?"

Edited by Sey

Moira looked across the table with heavily lidded eyes. She studied him for a moment, awaiting a punchline that never came. It appeared that his question was genuine, or at least, he intended for it to be taken as such. So she simply pursed her lips. "Of course I like money," she answered. "Doesn't everyone?"

The waitress plopped another massive coffee down, though this one was housed in a Styrofoam cup rather than priceless porcelain. Moira paid it, nor the waitress, any mind. Instead, she held the other man's gaze, more intrigued by his question than she'd like to admit. "In fact," she continued, "I don't think I'd trust anyone who said she didn't like money. She's either lying, or not the kind of person I'd want to fraternize with anyway."

Those amethyst eyes held a kind of mystery that Moira couldn't remember seeing within Aincrad before. Are these the sort of people I could have been interacting with all these years? she mused, with no small amount of regret. Instead, she had holed herself up on the beginner floors. What wasted time.

Edited by Moira

Good good, she was following the path he was leading her down. For one thing, literally nobody didn't like money, so he'd probably just laugh if she tried to play it off like it wasn't important to her. It was. Money was important to everyone, many even loved it.  Sey was one of them. This woman seemed to be the same. Yet they were on completely polar opposite ends of the spectrum if she couldn't afford a single cup of these while he handled three without even a crack in his wallet. Now that was a problem.

"Then make some. Why do you tell me that you won't have another cup of this for a while instead of working to get yourself one by the end of the week?" Sey explained as he would take yet another sip, closing his eyes to break away from her gaze for a bit while sipping. It was only until he placed his mug down that he would then look back to her, his lips completely neutral as he waited for an answer. It wasn't like she could change his explanation much anyways. "I swear, you look like a spitting image of me. You could start a business like I did, you know. Are you waiting for an invitation or something?"

He rolled his right wrist around, looking down to it to see the hand that crafted well enough to bring him into the atmosphere of riches and grandeur. "What do you have that would make me take out my money from my wallet and hand it to you?" Another rhetorical question being asked, but he didn't even stop to let her answer that. His gaze shifted back to her, aiming to look directly into her eyes with his knowing stare. "Answer that question, and you become just. Like. Me."