[PP-F1] How Free is Free? <<FFLAF>>

Quest Details

Spoiler

<<The First Few Lessons Are Free>>

This quest takes place on Floor 1

Players over level 15 are ineligible for SP rewards.
This quest is non-repeatable, however any player may participate in a thread to accompany the quest-taker.

Image result for D&D innkeeper

Background Information - An old NPC man, dubbed 'Zackariah', is in the Town of Beginnings. He plans on helping the new players of SAO by helping them understand the basic's of Sword Art Online.

Quest Objective
-Go fetch five(5) Tier one materials and give them to Zakariah.

(Go into the wild and gain materials though non-combat gathering and by rolling the LD, and linking it to a post. These materials are then given to the NPC)

-Help Zakariah in his workshop by crafting a Healing Potion.

(Roll the CD by linking it to a post.)1-3 fail, try again| 4-6 (Good Quality- Success)| 7-9(Rare Quality-Success)| 10-12(Perfect Quality-Success)
[Zackariah will give players materials until they roll a success, but the player is helping him, so he keeps the crafted potion(s).] [Zackariah is kind hearted, and will not berate the player should they fail, merely try to talk them through to process and help them]

-Zakariah asks you to deliver a package to Lyle Tealeaf, a local Blacksmith

-The Blacksmith, Lyle Tealeaf, thanks you and says he could use your help on another matter 

Requirements:

-At least one [1] Pages (20 or more posts)
-Players can find Materials by rolling the LD(11+)
-Must RP traveling to his workshop and from Zackariah's place to Lyle's workshop
-Maximum Party size of 4.

(Please note, this only works for quest materials. If you find more than you needed this way, you do not get to keep them because this LR roll amount is reduced for the quest only. All other non-combat gathering needs to conform to the standard rules. You CANNOT selectively choose whether it's a quest material or not. )

Rewards:

1. Questers will be rewarded the following items
    - 5 Tier One Health Potions of Uncommon Quality (+40HP)
    - 1 Tier One Damage Potion. (+1 Damage)
    -1 Tier One Over-Health Potion (+50 Temp. HP)

2. 2 Additional Skill Points

If a party of players undertakes this quest together, each must succeed on their own task list (e.g. each must gather 5 materials)

Recommended Level: 1

Penelo's Stats

Spoiler

Level 1
Penelo: 20/20 HP / 2/2 EN DMG / MIT EVA / 1 ACC / 1 LD+
HP:20/20
      HP Base: 20
      HP Buff: 0
EN:2/2
DMG:3
      DMG Base: 3
      DMG Buff: 0
MIT:9
      MIT Base: 9
      MIT Buff: 0
EVA:1
      EVA Base: 1
      EVA Buff: 0
ACC:1
      ACC Base: 1
      ACC Buff: 0

LD+:1
      LD+ Base: 1
      LD+ Buff: 0

Skills
>>First Aid R.1 ~ Heals 4% of Targets MAX HP at the cost of 5% of healing done
>>
>>
>>
>>

Equipped Items
>> Basic Two-Handed Starting Spear 
>> Cornflower Suit MK.0 ~ +1 EVA, +9 MIT
>> True-light Lantern ~ +1 LD, +1 ACC, Negates Darkness (Effects entire party)

Inventory
>> Starting Potion (+50 HP)
>>
>>
>>
>>

Buffs

Note - All member partied with Penelo receive: +1 ACC, + 1 LD, Negates all effect from darkness. 

The girl roamed the first floor, a specific destination in mind. Her brother, Jonathan, had told her that it was her decision whether she wanted to increase her level or not. She had been placed in the predicament that she was in due to her lack of level. She required others help instead of being able to rely on herself. She herself decided that it was time to move on and to do better. Now she moved in search of Zackariah that had an alchemy shop here in the town of beginnings. 

'They seriously need to give me a map of where to find this guy. Or at least make the directions in the quest information understandable. This town is like a maze!' she thought to herself as she made her way through. She had been searching for the last fifteen minutes and was no closer to her destination than when she started. She was half tempted to ask someone to help her, but her mother had always told her to accept help and not beg for it. Begging for help makes you seem helpless and unable to do it on your own, accepting help means that you understand for time to time that help is needed. Her mother had received some pretty strange wisdom from her grandfather, but she didn't question it. She looked up to her mother as a strong individual. "Zackariah, where possibly could you be?" she would ask aloud, even though she spoke to herself. 

@Jun

'Man.. That was quite the tough situation to get myself in.. Aincrad Police Department.. We are looking for a possible suspect! Heh.. I sound like an idiot.. I wonder if this is technically a guild invite.. Well.. Since I doubt that the developer really coded in a police officer.. Well.. There is a prison.. Or last I heard..' Jun sighed. There are thousands of players and every so often there would be a player killer among them. Becoming a police officer is not something that could help him with his social life.

Jun continued to walk around the Town of Beginning and stumbled upon a female player. He stood back and leaned back against the wall for cover to see what she was doing. 'W--Wait.. Why am I hiding behind the wall? I am just creepy.. I should be helping her out not hiding..' Before he would reveal himself, he heard the name Zackariah and peaked over the wall and sighed. "Ahem.. I think I can help you with that.. Uh.. You must be doing the lesson.. I can help you locate him, if you want!" He said in a soft tone, smiling awkwardly. He cautiously walked over and offered his hand to her. "I.. I'm not some kind of weirdo lurking in the shadows.. I swear.. I just overheard you from over there and I also finished the quest, so you know? I can help you if you will allow it." He continued to ramble on, as he is not used to interaction with just anyone.

@Penelo

• 2 weeks later...

(Sorry about the wait, its been the Holidays)

She seemed to be walking aimlessly through the streets. She didn't figure it would be this hard to find the Starting Quest NPC. She stopped for a second. "Perhaps if I wasn't looking in the back alleys' She would think to herself before a voice caught her attention. The tone was soft and cautious and came from above. She quickly caught sight of a boy peering at her from a wall above. He mentioned the quest she was doing and offered his help in finding the NPC. She raised her eyebrow questioningly at him. She would remain quiet as he walked over to her, but ensured that he stayed with a few feet of distance. He would explain that he wasn't a creep in the shadows and he was just willing to help. "Uh huh... Now how am I supposed to beleive something like that?" It would be a few seconds before she would laugh again. 

"Alright, you win. I do need help finding the quest NPC. Everyone I know is busy with things" She would walk in front of him, walking away. "Well, I guess you can tag along. Obviously from what you seem to do with your creeping around, someone needs to be keeping you out of trouble." 

@Jun

The sudden laughter that came from the female adventurer, caused Jun to sigh in relief. He was glad that he was able to clear things up and not look like the bad guy. With the comedic comment, Jun could not help but smile, as he watched the player walk ahead of him. He slowly picked up his pace and followed her. "Haha, keep me out of trouble? I'll have you know, I will be the first one to run out of sight at the sign of danger!" He jokingly replied. Although it was just a joke, he had yet to face a danger that he had to escape from, but he felt like that day was coming faster than he would ever know. He took a few steps ahead of the adventurer and turned toward her and smiled. "Also, we should probably get to Zackariah. We can't just be standing around here while all the other players get ahead of us!" Jun took the lead and began heading towards the blacksmith and keep his eyes on the time. 'It's getting dark.. It'll be dusk before we know it.. If we can get those five herbs and deliver the parcel, we should be able to end the quest with no problem!'

"I totally forgot.. This might be a little awkward right now, but my name is Jun! It's nice to meet you!" He introduced himself, as he turned around and offered a friendly handshake to his newly acquired companion. "I hope we do get along on our journey today!" He continued to say with a bright smile.

@Penelo

As she slowly began walking away, he would quickly speed up to take the lead. He would make a retort back and say that he would be the first to run in the threat of danger. She shook her head, "That isn't what I meant Mr. Stalker" If she had been worried that he was actually out to get her, she would be running. She had way too much experience with overzealous men. He would then move forward, wasting no time. She knew by now it was evening, but she was used to wandering in the dark. "What other players? It isn't like we haven't already been left in the dust by the frontliners. I shouldn't have thought that I could just sit around and keep my level low. That came back to bit me" She would say. She had played the damsel in distress due to her stats being low. That was why she wanted to get stronger. He would turn to her then and introduce himself as Jun. 

Smiling back at him she would indulge with her player name. "Penelo and the pleasure is mine!" she would say sweetly. She had let him help her in fear of being rude, but she internally felt like it was wrong to be using up his time. "Well... I am not sure if the word journey is what we are looking for. Just errands to be honest. Anyway, lead the way" 

@Jun

He turned around with an embarrassed expression, "M--Mister Stalker? I believe that is not a title I would like to carry in this game. We should try for something cooler! You know? Something that everyone will know as I climb through the ranks!" He replied with a proud look on his face. He continued to help his newly acquired companion locate the NPC. He turned around with a smile on his face, "Those frontliners are just doing their very best to keep our spirits up! Maybe if we catch up to their levels, we can also help them out. I mean, I also regret sitting around and waited a whole two years. I guess I'm finally out doing what needs to be done!" When the player introduced herself as Penelo, Jun could not help but smile. It felt real, the players were real and not just some data written into the game. "Even if you don't see this as a journey, I think it still is! We will be at the front lines before you know it! Raiding the boss together!" He said with much enthusiasm.

He stopped in his tracks and presented the blacksmith shop to Penelo. "Here we are! Sir Zackariah's Blacksmith.. I really don't know the name of the shop. I just know he's somewhere over here." He said, as he peers into the windows to see if there was anybody around. "You should walk in to see if he pops up somewhere. He could be hanging out in the back or something." He added.

@Penelo

He gave her an embarrassed expression, showing his distaste for the name. As he requested one that was cooler and more memorable. Giving him a tasteful laugh, she would reply, "Trust me. Everyone would remember a name like that. Jun the stalker, expert stalker. You would attract attention fast. Maybe even faster than the wanted Pinball and Hidden" Afterwards, she would stay silent as he dreamed of the frontlines. Her smile faded. "Right now, I am not sure if I wanted to be a part of the frontlines. I know one, and according to him its all in shreds. People defending bosses, hiding things from the rest of the players. I guess it always holds true. Power gets to people's head. You get to a high enough position and you believe its your duty to protect everyone and in doing so you separate yourselves from them" 

She sighed. Maybe she had let too much of what Jonathan had said to her out. They would round another corner and make a turn. After a bit more walking on the main street, Jun would stop and offer her the location she desired. "Will do, you can come with if you want" She would walk into the shop and find an older man working quietly at an alchemists station. "Ah, you must be here to get the help you need" His words didn't seem sincere, but his voice assured her that it was. "So, you must be here to give me the help I need" 

@Jun

'I guess Pinball and Hidden are still widely known for their actions.. This is getting out of hand..' Jun paused for a moment, realizing that what Penelo said could be true. He had no idea what the front lines were like and he was just having a hero's dream. He watched as she entered the shop, but stayed outside to keep watch. "I'll be standing out here until you receive the quest. I can help you out with the rest once you get started!" He replied in a soft tone. He leaned back against the cobblestone walls and awaited for Penelo to finish her conversation with the NPC. 'Maybe I should really think this front line stuff through.. There are also players like me and Penelo who are staying back and took too long to do anything.. But this is my step forward.. I will do something here.' He sighed and pulled up his stats menu to see nothing new with it. "If I bought new equipment, I could probably advance a few floors.. But then again.. I would need the experience." He said to himself.

He heard the familiar voice and smiled, "There she goes. Now with a bit on RNG on our side, we should be able to finish this quest in no time. We just need to make sure that we don't stay out too late. Otherwise, fighting the monsters would be a lot tougher.." He swipes away his stat window and stepped inside the blacksmith and waited for Penelo to finish her conversation.

@Penelo

She stood inside the shop with Zackariah as he looked to her. Her words seemed to have an effect on him that made him smile a bit. "An inquisitive one eh? Well, that will be just fine with me" He stood up and began to speak. "An important essential to this world is being able to find and create your own items to be useful to yourself and others. I need you to go out and collect five materials for me, bring them back and we can get started with phase two" Nodding as the quest objectives appeared in her HUD, she would turn and walk to the door. She would call"Thank you!" before she pushed open the door and let Jun follow her out. "Alright, looks like we are all good to go. Luckily, it doesn't sound like we have to do any fighting today. I am not skilled in damage" She didn't mention the fact that she didn't really like to fight. It was why she chose a more supportive role. 

"While you can't really help me search for my materials, you can search for your own if you like. You see, if you party with me then you get a accuracy and loot dice bonus." She was a bit proud of her lantern, even though Jonathan bought it for her. She liked to come up with items herself, but the lantern was a true supportive item

@Jun

Objectives

• Collect 0/5 Materials on a LD:11+
  • Craft a 0/1 Healing Potion with a CD:7+

As Jun followed Penelo out, he nodded towards the NPC out of habit. 'Crap.. Well.. No one saw that so it's okay!' As the two continue to walk toward the exit of the he began to search for what to do when everything was over. 'Maybe we can do the second quest together? I heard there was a fourth one.. No.. We will probably see each other again.. I am going to need to focus on find better gear anyways..' He sighed. "Well, let's get this show on the road! I mean.. We should try to finish this one as soon as possible!" He said, strolling in front of her with a confident expression. He knew what to do with his quest and was ready to finish this with Penelo as fast as they could. This was also the first time he had to help anyone out with anything and he wanted to make sure he did it right. He swipes for his window to check if his stats were appropriate if there was any unnecessary battles, but before he could conclude his thought.

'W--Wait.. Did I not tell her that I have already finished this quest? Maybe I should just pretend that I didn't do it and it'll be okay? But what would be lying.. I don't want to be known as a liar.. Well.. There's also that stalker thing.. No I have to tell her.' He cleared his throat and turned to face Penelo. "Well you know.. I already finish this quest." He nervously chuckled. "That's why I knew where the NPC would be at." He added.

@Penelo

They would move out of the town and Jun would follow her quietly, seeming to try to give words of encouragement. 'Should I tell him that he doesn't need to try so hard? No, I don't want to hurt his feelings. That would just put him down' Remaining quiet she would grab her lantern from where it was connected to her belt. Tapping it, it would cast a bright light on the area around them. The soon to be setting Sun no longer made a difference. "Looks like we are all set to look!" she would tell Jun. He would then nervously tell her that he had already finished the quest. She looked at him with a raised eyebrow. "I know, you already told me that. I am just saying that you can look for normal materials while I am searching for my quest materials. While you are partied up with me, you get a Loot and Accuracy Bonus" she would tell him. 

Ignoring Jun for a short period of time, she would get started. Quickly, she managed to find her first quest material. A blooming purple flower was glistening and glowing on the ground. She knew the higher your Loot Bonus was the more it would glow. She would crouch beside it for a moment before tapping it. The material flower would vanish as it entered her inventory. "One down, four to go" 

ID:111197 
LD:16(+1)=17 ~ Material Found

Objectives

• Collect 1/5 Materials on a LD:11+

@Jun

Edited by Penelo

Jun blinked a couple of times at Penelo and realized that he had already said that. 'Now I look like an idiot.. Maybe if I played it off, I will be alright. No.. It's too late. I just have to go along with it.. What do I say? Oh man.. What have I done?' Jun chuckled nervously and rubbed the back of his head. "O--Oh yeah! I did, I guess it just slipped my mind!" He replied, as he continued to chuckle. The moment Penelo turned around, he sighed and followed her. He glanced around to see if could benefit from the lantern that Penelo had provided for him. The moment he took a step away from Penelo, he heard her call out for collecting her first material. He turned around and clapped for her. "Nice one! We will probably get this done before I could even loot anything!" He said, before he attempted to go search for his own materials. He walked over toward a brush and squat down and placed his finger over it. He gulped, as he pressed his fingers against the brush.

The moment his fingers touched the brush, it exploded into hundreds of polygons. "Haha, looks like I'll get the next one." He said to himself in a soft tone. He stood up and brushed himself off and walked towards Penelo. He sighed, but he was still optimistic. 'I'll probably be able to get at least one or two before we complete this quest.' He continued to glance around to see if there was another spot he could go to.

ID: 111225
LD: 13 + 1 (Failed)

@Penelo

Edited by Jun

As she told him that she already knew, all of his confidence seemed to vanish. His words were jumbled as he tried to play it off to her. Shaking her head with a smile, would would resume her search. As she found the first one, he would applaud her. "Hey, if you are applauding me, how are you gonna find any real materials for yourself?" She would say jokingly. Her light would fall on the ground before her, giving a little glisten to everything that had the possibility to be a decent material. The scene before her made her lose her smile. Nothing in the immediate area seemed to glisten. Sighing, she would look to Jun. "Now I am starting to think that your bad luck is starting to rub off on me. We might be out here longer than I thought" Her skills weren't that good, including her Loot Bonuses. While her lantern helped, an actual item might have provided better support.

She looked around the field, seeing that the area they were in was clear of monsters. She wasn't sure of Jun's combat ability, but she knew hers were insufficient. She didn't have a single rank into her spear, and she wouldn't be putting any into it for a while. 

ID:111339
LD:5(+1)=6 ~ Material Not-Found

Objectives

• Collect 1/5 Materials on a LD:11+

@Jun

'B--Bad luck, huh? I only failed it once!' Jun pouted, before turning toward another direction to look for materials. "You know, it can't be my bad luck if I only failed one time!" He yelled from across the other side. He looks back down on the ground and began his search for materials. He located a brush and slowly placed his fingers above it and took a deep breath. 'Okay.. There is a chance that I will get it.. And there is also a chance that I won't get it!' Jun slowly pressed against the brush and a window appeared before him. Once again, asking if he would like to attempt to gather the material found in front of him. 'Alright.. Here goes nothing.. Along with the help of the lantern.. I should be able to gather something!' He accepted. The brush began to glow a bright white color and shattered before him. He smiled and immediately jumped up to his feet.

"Alright! I got my first material! How's that for bad luck?" He jokingly taunted, before running back towards Penelo. For some reason, it felt like an accomplishment that he has not felt in a long time. "Thanks for the lantern assist, Penelo! I don't think I would have gotten this!" He added.

ID: 111392
LD: 17 + 1 (Success!)

Tier One Materials: 1

@Penelo

Edited by Jun

Her rhetorical statement was answered by a Jun that had lost some confidence. "I don't know. One mistake and you've wound up dead here" A mistake of herrs in the past had almost got her killed at the hands of a woman named Fyre. A woman who followed her ex husband and was prepared to kill her. He shook the thought out of her head. Hopefully, after Jonathan and Itzal took care of Chaos, the woman would leave her alone and continue on her own path. She heard the sounds of excitement and turned her attention towards Jun who had seemed to have found himself a material. Offering a smile she would say, "Maybe I was wrong. You are a good luck charm! Nah, lets not get overzealous" She gave a hearty laugh as she continued to pester the boy. He anyways, thanked her for the lantern assist and she would nod to him. "It is pretty handy isn't it? My brother got it for me at the Christmas Event. He said it would suit my support build well" 

She would lift her lantern up, it lighting the dark areas. With the sun beginning to set, it did more than help. Only problem, she wasn't sure if the light would attract monsters. Eyeing another glistening object, she would reach down and touch it, a quest material adding to her inventory. "Three more then!" 

ID:111523
LD:18(+1)=19 ~ Material Found

Objectives

• Collect 2/5 Materials on a LD:11+

@Jun

Edited by Penelo

Jun looked confused for a second and then nodded his head, 'Christmas Event.. I must have missed it.. I guess being gloomy during the entire month of December does not really help with my case in leveling.. Huh?' He watched as the lantern slowly lit the area around them and Jun found another herb to look at. "Support, huh? Just like that Combat Medic.. I forgot to add her.. Heh.." He let out a small chuckle, before squatting down and placing his fingers above the herbs. He focused his mind on the herbs and tapped on the herb. A window appeared in front of him, but he was hesitant to accept the attempt. He sighed and pressed the accept button, as soon as the window faded away. The brush exploded and nothing was left. He fell down on his butt and sighed once more. "Now that was disappointing.. Maybe Penelo will have a better chance with getting her next material."

He stood up and walked over to Penelo and grinned. "You are doing way better than I am! I failed another search!" He walked beside her and continued to glance around the area for more brushes to look at. "Don't really know why I feel bumped out about these materials.. I'm not really aiming to have a profession!" He chuckled.

ID: 111527
LD: 03 + 01 (Failed)

@Penelo

Edited by Jun

He mentioned a combat medic and she looked over to him. "There is another lower leveled healer right now?" She doubted that they were as supportive as her, as her lantern gave a Party buff. She lifted hr lantern and continued her search. She gave a glance at Jun ad watched as he failed another material attempt. He really was not having a lot of luck when it came to getting his materials. Material hunting was hard for those without the Search Skill. After she was finished with her build, she would get Search to compliment her support. She looked over to Jun  as he walked over to her with a smile on his face. "Failed another search? Maybe you should choose something different to do!" she would tell him as she turned to look for another material. 

She would scan the area and just before she was about to give up, she caught another glisten on the ground. She would walk up to the glistening object and tap it and it would add itself to her inventory. "More than half way there" she would call. Maybe they would get through this faster than she had thought. 

@Jun

ID:111549
LD:10(+1)=11 ~ Material Found

Objectives

• Collect 3/5 Materials on a LD:11+

Edited by Penelo

"Well I wouldn't say she is a lower leveled Healer.. She is definitely a higher level than the both of us!" Jun smiled at Penelo and swiped down to look at his friend's list. His index and middle finger hoovering over Sunova's name. "I only just met her once, so I don't really know much about her, but I learned about the roles from her." He could not help, but smile around Penelo and he felt better after failing his search. "D--Do something different? Like what?" He wondered, as he watched Penelo successfully gather another material for her quest. "I mean, I am just doing what I can with you, you know? Since you are gathering materials, I will do the same as well!" He smiled, before moving onto the next brush. He identified a few materials he would need in order to ask a blacksmith to craft him a weapon.

He walked over to the boulder that seems to be ready to harvest and squats over. He placed his fingers over them once again and prepared himself. The moment he accepted it, the boulder shattered and he lowered his head once more. He sighed and walked back over to Penelo, "Let's keep moving!" He said with optimism.

ID: 111586
LD: 11 + 1 (Failed)

@Penelo

Edited by Jun

Jun mentioned that the girl he was talking about, Sunova, wasn't exactly low leveled. 'He doesn't understand how they view us down here...' Pushing the thought away, she would continue her search. As she had mentioned doing something different, he would ask what. "I meant like fighting a monster or something. Though, at our level it might be best to wait a bit. Maybe we can do it after the Lessons quest.... I don't like fighting much, but I understand that it is essential for this game" She would tell him. Lifting her lantern, she would take another look at the scene in front of her. Keeping her eyes peeled for the gleam of a material, she would continue her search. Her eyes found nothing and she gave a heavy sigh before looking at Jun. He would cheerfully say that they should keep on moving. She would grant him a smile and nod. It seemed that her luck was based off of his so far. 

@Jun

ID:111671
LD:7(+1)=8 ~ Material Not-Found

Objectives

• Collect 3/5 Materials on a LD:11+
Edited by Penelo

Jun thought about fighting a few monsters, but it could go the wrong way and attack Penelo while she is looting. "I would, but I really haven't gotten myself into combat before. So I might do some other combat in the future!" He responded, before breaking off toward another brush. He towers over the brush and placed his finger on the brush. He clenched his left hand and took a deep breath. The brush dispersed and he was left with no materials. "You know.. This material gathering.. Kinda difficult for a player like me! I should probably invest in some kind of trinket that will boost my chances of finding more materials." He said out loud, before walking out of the forest and into Penelo's sight. 'Maybe.. I should also figure out how to fight these monsters.. If I plan on grinding this hard..' He sighed. There was more work to do, but he had to keep his head focused on one objective at a time.

ID: 111711
LD: 8 + 1 (Failed..)

@Penelo

Edited by Jun