[F01-SP] <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>> Starting Out

Mortambo rounded the bend in the street and finally saw Zackariah's Workshop. "Whew", he thought to himself, "this place was NOT easy to find." He had gotten lost many times trying to find his way. Entering into the shop a small bell tinkled and the older man behind the worktable immediately looked up from his work. Looking Mortambo up and down Zackariah said “Hmm, you look like one of the newer folks in town. I’ve got some jobs that need doing if you’re interested.” After Mortambo nods, he continues “All right then, you’ll need some herbs from out in the wilds. About 5 of them. After you gather those for me, I’ll put you to work making a potion. After that, well, I’ve got a package that needs to be delivered to Lyle the Blacksmith. For your trouble, I have a little care package I give out to adventurers like you. Sound good?” Mortambo says “Yes, sir. Just give me a description of the herb and I’ll be off!” After a short description from Zackariah, Mortambo heads out to the wilds outside of the city.

Quest Objectives:

Spoiler

-Go fetch five(5) Tier one materials and give them to Zakariah.

(Go into the wild and gain materials though non-combat gathering and by rolling the LD (11+), and linking it to a post. These materials are then given to the NPC)

-Help Zakariah in his workshop by crafting a Healing Potion.

(Roll the CD by linking it to a post.)1-3 fail, try again| 4-6 (Good Quality- Success)| 7-9(Rare Quality-Success)| 10-12(Perfect Quality-Success)
[Zackariah will give players materials until they roll a success, but the player is helping him, so he keeps the crafted potion(s).] [Zackariah is kind hearted, and will not berate the player should they fail, merely try to talk them through to process and help them]

-Zakariah asks you to deliver a package to Lyle Tealeaf, a local Blacksmith

-The Blacksmith, Lyle Tealeaf, thanks you and says he could use your help on another matter 

Quest Requirements:

Spoiler

-At least one [1] Pages (20 or more posts)
-Players can find Materials by rolling the LD(11+)
-Must RP traveling to his workshop and from Zackariah's place to Lyle's workshop
-Maximum Party size of 4.

Edited by Mortambo

Mortambo searched for a while and came up with absolutely none of the herbs he needed to find. He walked through beautiful fields of flowers and managed to avoid the boars and wolves in the area to make it to gorgeous clearings in the trees, the beauty of which was completely lost on him because he was so focused on finding these herbs. Suddenly he stopped. "No wonder I'm missing them, I'm probably just searching too quickly." He began to retrace his steps and this time slowly and meticulously searched every bit of the last clearing he had passed through. He let out a frustrated sigh as he still didn’t find any of the herbs he was looking for. “Still, it must be better to search this way.” Resigned to continue his meticulous search he continued on the trail to the next open area ready to find the herbs he had been sent to gather.

Spoiler

ID# 111013 results:

Loot: 10

Edited by Mortambo

Spending more time to look around and search more thoroughly doesn't seem to be paying off. Mortambo realizes he has passed through the same clearing a few times because and he is getting rather lost. Frustrated he stopped for a moment to rest in the shade under a tree and get a bite to eat and drink. "Who would have thought gathering a few herbs to make potions would be so difficult?” he mused to himself as he took his short rest. He leaned back against the tree and just enjoyed the breeze ruffling his hair for a little while. Taking in the scenery, finally, he was awed. ”This virtual world is amazingly beautiful.” “Okay, time to get back to business. I need to find these things before the day is up!” He got up and brushed himself off, readjusted his armor and battle axe and began to search again.

Gathering:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111018
    •  Loot: 8
    • Materials Found: 0
  • Total Materials: 0/5

Edited by Mortambo

Reinvigorated from his short rest, he wanders freely through the hills just enjoying the scenery and letting his mind wander, but keeping an eye out for the plants he is looking for. As he wanders he avoids the boars and wolves in the area once again and as he has his eye on them, he trips falling face first in the dirt. As he raises himself up on his knees, right in front of his face is one of the herbs he needs! For a moment he is overcome with excitement, before he gathers himself and very carefully picks the herb letting it disappear into his inventory. “I wonder how careful I really need to be. After all it is a game. But I know in real life if you aren’t careful with how you gather things you can ruin it. Probably best to be safe anyway.” Getting up to his feet and dusting himself off he looks around proudly. “Only 4 more to go!”

Gathering:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111019
    •  Loot: 17
    • Materials Found: +1
  • Total Materials: 1/5

Edited by Mortambo

Excitedly, Mortambo searches the immediate area very thoroughly looking for more of the herbs and finds…nothing. Disappointed he begins to wander aimlessly again hoping for another bit of luck. He wanders past a beautiful little brook and stops for a minute to just enjoy the babbling of the water as it passes by. Taking a deep breath he shakes off his disappointment. “I can get better at this, right?” He pulled up his skills and looked through them, “Yeah, here’s a skill just for Searching. I just need to level up some more and get trained in it. No problem. Well, after I train in Heavy Armor for protection. I certainly don’t want to die in here.” Knowing he can get better at this with time, he begins to search again the brief break giving him a chance to look at things with fresh eyes. He heads back towards the clearings that were empty before to give them another chance.

Gathering:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111020
    •  Loot: 2

Edited by Mortambo

As he entered the clearing Mortambo began to scour the ground for signs of the herb. He meticulously searched every inch of the clearing and still came up with nothing. Cursing silently to himself he stopped and just stopped in the middle of the clearing. “Well at least I found one. But this is just the first quest! It shouldn’t take THIS long.” He could feel his frustration rising again and took some deep breaths. “You can do this man. It’s just finding some herbs for some old man. No big deal.” He shook his head, remembering the trouble he had with the quest for earning a living as well. “No problem.” Smiling to himself he started his search again hoping he finds the rest of the herbs quickly by heading deeper into the forest away from the Town of Beginnings.

Gathering:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111021
    • Loot: 4

Edited by Mortambo

As Mortambo went deeper into the forest, the hair on the back of his neck began to raise. This was the furthest he had been from town and he was a little of nervous. Looking around carefully he still didn’t see any of the herbs he needed. He began to push further into the forest thinking “I guess it’s time I took off the training wheels. There’s no telling what’s this far away from the Town.” He stopped and listened to the birds in the trees, “At least as long as they are around, I know nothing too bad is on the way.” He kept scanning the ground as he moved through this new area very carefully keeping an eye out for tracks and some of the herbs he was looking for. Finally he got to an open clearing filled with beautiful flowers and decided to stop for another rest.

Gathering:

Spoiler
  •  ID# 111028
    •  Loot: 4

Edited by Mortambo

Mortambo flopped down at the base of a tree and took out another snack thinking about how far he had come. So far, he had played it very safe and stuck close to Town of Beginnings hunting the initial boars and wolves right near the town. “I need to push farther once I finish this line of quests. I can’t be stuck here while everyone on the front lines is risking their lives every day. I need to do what I can to help us push forward.” After he stood up, he spied another of the herbs nearby. Walking over he carefully picked it and put it in his inventory. Straightening up, he began to scan the rest of the clearing for another of the herbs hoping to find one nearby. “Hopefully I’m that lucky. Although I haven’t been very lucky with them yet.” He did one last loop around the clearing before heading out.

Gathering:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111029
    • Loot: 19
    • Materials Found: 1
  • Total Materials: 2/5

Edited by Mortambo

Mortambo very deliberately scanned the ground as he made the final loop through the clearing. He got down on his knees to search near some bushes and finally spied the next herb. Carefully plucking it from the ground and putting it in his inventory, he stood up and brushed himself off. “Wow, this clearing has been really lucky for finding these herbs. Maybe I don’t need to go too much farther into the forest right now anyway.” Grinning he began to search the ground as he headed further down the trail to the next clearing. Stopping for a moment at the edge he began to look around, this time kneeling down and enjoying the scent of the flowers. “Maybe I just need to stop and smell the roses more. I mean I definitely need to push myself, but I can balance that with enjoying my time here.” Getting up he set about searching this clearing as well.

Gathering:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111036 results:
    •  Loot: 15
  • Materials Total: 3/5

Edited by Mortambo

Mortambo searched the clearing, just enjoying the way the sun filtered down through the trees and the patterns the light made on the forest floor. He let out a deep sigh relaxing a lot and stood still for a moment lost in thought taking it all in. “This place isn’t so bad. I mean I could be stuck in the lab all day if I was back in the real world.” Finally snapping out of it, he began to search more thoroughly and got down on his hands and knees to root around under a bush near the edge of the clearing. After a few minutes of searching like this he hadn’t found a thing. Getting up and brushing the dirt off he just smiled “At least today, I’ve had an adventure. More than just poking my head out of the Town and almost dying from boars and wolves. Tomorrow, it will be something bigger.”

Gathering:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111037
    •  Loot: 8
    • Found Materials: 0
  • Total Materials: 3/5

Edited by Mortambo

Grinning to himself he began to head down a trail that would take him back to the Town. Checking his map he verified he was going the right way as he walked. However, he managed to walk right into an overhanging tree branch. “Ouch!” he exclaimed holding his head and shaking it gently to clear it. As he stopped to take stock right in his line of sight was another one of the herbs. “I am amazingly lucky! I mean, if I hadn’t looked at the map while walking like an idiot, I wouldn’t have found this one!” He reached out and plucked it from the ground and put it in his inventory with the rest. “Only one more to go!” he thought to himself as he continued on down the trail humming to himself. “Today has been a good day. It can only get better!”

Gathering:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111038
    •  Loot: 11
    • Found Materials: 1
  • Total Materials: 4/5

Edited by Mortambo

Humming to himself, Mortambo continued down the path looking out for the final herb he needed. After a while of wandering he began to get kind of bored and took out his axe taking a few test swings with it. He stopped in an open area and practiced some with his axe, forgetting for the moment about his quest. He activated each of his Sword Arts, just to be sure he had them ready to go. Once he was done, he snapped back to his current objective “Right, I’m supposed to be collecting herbs! I’m sure it will be good to have that practice in though. Eventually I will get quests to kill things rather than just wander around and collect materials,” he thought to himself. He continued on down the trail to look for the final herb he needed still humming a wordless tune and enjoying the scenery.  

Gathering:

Spoiler
  •  ID# 111039
    •  Loot: 3
  • Total Materials: 4/5

Edited by Mortambo

As he continued walking, Mortambo ran across another clearing. Wanting to leave no rock unturned, he meticulously searched the clearing finally finding the last herb on his hands and knees searching the base of one of the bushes. Continuing down the trail, he made it back to the edge of the forest before the plains leading back to the Town of Beginnings. He carefully watched the paths the wolves and boars around him were taking so that he could avoid any conflict on the way back. There were a few close calls but he managed to make it back to the walls of the Town without fighting anything. Pulling up his map, he tapped Zackariah’s Workshop, this time getting directions directly back there. He excitedly made his way back to the Workshop. As he walked in, Zackariah once again looked up from his work. “Ah, you are back! You have the materials?”

Gathering:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111040
    • Loot: 14
  • Total Materials: 5/5

Edited by Mortambo

“Yes, sir! Here they are,” Mortambo replied. Zackariah looked over the herbs and said “Yeah, these will do,” and promptly launched into a series of instructions in potion making. As he listened, Mortambo realized it was that much different than working in a chemistry lab. After Zackariah was done explaining, Mortambo began to try and craft his potion. He tweaked a few things here or there and Zackariah, who was watching him closely, let out a few “Hmm, interesting” as he did so. At the end of the process, Mortambo had a pretty amazing potion and he handed it to Zackariah proudly. “Well, my boy, I’m not sure I’ve had many people that picked it up quite that easily,” Zackariah said. Mortambo replied “Well I guess I just have a knack for it, sir. And walking through the woods to find the herbs was actually quite relaxing. Do you need any more potions made?"

Crafting a Potion:

Spoiler
  • ID# 111041 results:
    •  Craft: 9
    • Quality: Rare
  • Success!

Edited by Mortambo

“Oh sure, my boy. You can work with me the rest of the day if you want to. I almost always have a back order of potions that needs to be filled,” Zackariah replied. Mortambo nodded and helped the old man set up a separate workstation that he could work at. So Mortambo got to work on the simpler potions Zackariah needed to create. As he worked he began to remember his life before this game. The long hours and relentless work to write huge papers and receive hardly any praise. While here, in this virtual reality, Zackariah might just be an NPC but every success was met with praise, and every failure was met with gently going over the process to make the potion again. Such positive reinforcement was almost alien to Mortambo after years as a researcher. It felt good to work in such a wonderful environment.

After an hour or two, they had caught up on most of the back log of potions and Zackariah was overjoyed. “Thank you so much, my boy!” he exclaimed, “Well now that you have helped me so much maybe you can help my friend Lyle the Blacksmith with a problem he is having. He was telling me the other day that he needs someone to go hunt some of the boars outside of town for the project he is working on. His shop, if you go back the town center, is on the west side of the Town past the main row of the restaurants and inns.” Mortambo replied, “Oh, my own shop is near there. It will be nice to compare notes with Lyle.” Zackariah continued, “Oh! And I have a small package for him if you could take it to him. You could say I recommended you help him with his problem.”

“Sure! I’ll take it right now,” Mortambo replied. Zackariah handed him the small package for Lyle and Mortambo put it in his inventory. “And sir, I just wanted to say, this has been one of the best days I’ve spent since coming into this game.” Zackariah replied with “Well, thank you, my boy. It was pleasant to work with you as well. You can come back any time.” As he left, Mortambo realized he had just had a real moment with an NPC in a game. As he walked through the winding streets making his way back to the town center he began to reminisce more about his “real” life outside the game. It almost seemed like a dream at this point and he could only dimly remember what it was like. Even his wife had become such a dim memory. “Was I really even happy with her or is that just the rose colored glasses of being inside this game?”

As Mortambo got to the Town Center he remembered the day they all got trapped in this game. That fateful announcement whose memory still sends shivers down his spine. As he looked around the square in the gathering dusk he could see a few others doing what he was doing, looking up at where the imposing figure had floated. Shaking off those feelings Mortambo started down the row of Restaurants to the west of the Square. As he passed by the restaurants he began to think about the times he had eaten there. They haven’t been trapped that long in this game yet his memories of events here are much more vivid. He very quickly stopped and picked up a sandwich and sat on a bench eating it as the sun began to go down. “This is not such a bad life actually,” Mortambo thought to himself enjoying his sandwich.

As he finished the last few bites, he jumped up to his feet. “Let’s hurry and get this delivered and see about Lyle’s quest too. It will be nice to hunt something instead of just looking for herbs. Although the potion making part was awesome.” He began to wind his way through the streets following Zackariah’s directions. As he found his way to the blacksmith’s shop the night began to darken and the street lamps began to glow with a soft light. He began to quicken his pace hoping he could catch Lyle before he went to bed. Most NPCs weren’t very active after dark. He stopped for a moment and checked his map and cursed silently to himself for missing a turn. Backtracking he found his way down the correct street and made his way up to the blacksmith’s door. Knocking smartly on the door caused a gruff voice to reply “Aye, I’m coming, what do you want?”

“Lyle? Zackariah sent me with this package. I apologize for the lateness of the hour I stopped to get something to eat,” Mortambo replied as the door flew open and an older man looked him up and down. “Well, get on in here, boy. I don’t begrudge you your dinner. And ol’ Zack sent you with my ointment did, he? He knows how my old bones creak. It’s a wonder he’s in such good shape!” Laughing Lyle ushered him in and took the package putting it on the counter of his shop. “I guess he told you I had another task for you too? He’s always sending you new people around to help me with the fetching and carrying.” Mortambo smiled and replied, “Yes, sir. He sure did. What is that you need again?” Lyle chuckled, “I commend your eagerness to get started, young man, but why don’t you just come back in the morning and I’ll send you to get what I need for my day’s work.”

Thread Summary:

Spoiler
  • Standard:
    • 1 SP 
    • 400 col
  • Quest:
    • 5 Tier 1 Uncommon Health Potions (+40 HP)
    • 1 Tier 1 Uncommon Damage Potion (+1 Damage)
    • 1 Tier 1 Uncommon Over-Health Potion (50 Temporary HP)
    • 2 SP
  • Totals:
    • 3 SP
    • 400 Col
    • 5 Tier 1 Uncommon Health Potions (+40 HP)
    • 1 Tier 1 Uncommon Damage Potion (+1 Damage)
    • 1 Tier 1 Uncommon Over-Health Potion (50 Temporary HP)