[F09-PP] <<Feeding Your Enemy>> Out of the Frying Pan

On the first floor, as I was looking for materials, I ran into an old gypsy woman that just appeared out of almost nowhere. "Well hello, young man. I see your trying to work on your Blacksmithing." I replied rather warily "Um, yes, why do you ask?" She smiled a rather off putting kind of smile and said "Well, I have something that will help you make the most out of all your hard work. A familiar." I had briefly heard of familiars. They were creatures in the game that could be trained to help with certain tasks either combat or healing you. "How will a familiar help me with crafting?" I asked the old woman. "Take this food, find a suitable familiar, and train it to work at your forge and you will see." "All right", I responded still a little weirded out, but I put it in my inventory and looked up and the gypsy woman was gone. Where could I find a suitable companion? I pulled out the New Player's Guide to the floors that were handed out. Level 9 was filled with fire and lava and so something good for working with steel and the forge would probably be there. But Level 9? I needed someone to go with me and be sure I didn't get killed. Heading back to the Town notice board, I put up a post about wanting to form a group to gather materials and search for a familiar. I got a response almost immediately and headed out to meet them on Level 9 right outside Yōgan Village.

@Neopolitan

Quest Objectives:

Spoiler
  • RP meeting the gypsy and obtaining the food from her
  • Obtain a familiar
  • At least 1 page (20 posts)

Quest Mechanics:

Spoiler

Once every 15 posts, the party leader may roll to search for a familiar. On a roll of 15+ LD (normal LD enhancements apply), you successfully find a potential familiar.

Once a potential familiar is found, that party leader has 4 attempts to tame it. Taming is a post action that is successful on a CD roll of 9+. If the party leader fails all 4 attempts, the potential familiar becomes untamable and a new one may be searched for in 15 posts. 

If the roll to tame is met, you have successfully attained a familiar. Return the <<Familiar Food>> to the Gypsy NPC to complete the quest. Only one familiar may be found per thread.

Quest Rewards:

Spoiler
  • A familiar of your choice (within guidelines)
  • 1 Skill Point (first completion only)

Quick Stats

Spoiler

Mortambo: 120 HP | 12 EN | 2 DMG | 17 MIT | +2 LD 

Edited by Mortambo

Neo was working hard in her shop when she realized that she was beginning to run a little bit low on some of her stock. It wasn't in danger or anything, but who knew when she would need to be scrambling for preparations for the next raid. It could mean the difference between getting everyone buffed and someone not qwuite making it. Looking around for some of the stuff that she could gather while helping along with, Neo saw a message for help in finding a familiar. It was going to be over on floor 9, which Neo was unsure about the potential for fishing there. But at the very least, she could get a restock on some of the simpler materials that she would want to have. The more complex materials would've been nice, but better to help someone out while also getting things done rather than striking out on her own. As they were worried about level as well, Neo was pretty sure that she wouldn't have to worry about them trying to kill her. Still, she also made sure that she was mostly ready for any monsters she might end up fishing out of the lava lakes. Making her way to the ninth floor, Neo began to look for the person after sending them a message to look for her two-toned hair.

Spoiler

Quick stats:

Neopolitan: 760 HP | 76 EN | 12 DMG | 41 MIT | 3 ACC | 4 FLN | +3 LD | +4 Stealth

@Mortambo

As I was waiting I suddenly received a message from someone who wanted to join me, and told me to look for her strawberry pink and dark brown hair. As I scanned the area near the edge of the village, I began to think about what I was doing here. This floor was WAY beyond my level and I was a little scared to venture out. Hopefully, my companion could easily handle whatever nastiness we might run into. Not that I wouldn't help, of course I would! But this place filled with fire and lava and all kinds of monsters was not a floor for inspiring much confidence. After this sobering thought, I looked up and spotted the girl I was looking for with the two toned hair. Approaching her, I said “Hello. I’m Mortambo. I really appreciate you helping me out with this quest and some material gathering,” and I smiled offering my hand to shake.

It didn't take long before the person seeking help came up to her. After they introduced themselves, Neo just gave a light bow and sent the party invitation that held her name on it as her greeting. Once they had accepted it, Neo gave them a quick message to let them know about her own experience lokoing for a familiar. It may not be the same for him, but hopefully they wouldn't have to be here for too long searching. It had been quite some time though and this was a different location, so it was entirely possible that the familiars here were a bit more friendly. Not likely though, as this was a rather fiery place. Making her way out of the town, she made sure that Mortambo was following her. She'd look for a place to fish that was also around somme various land features, that seemed to have the best concentration of possible places for a familiar to be.

TO: Mortambo

Gotten a familiar before, so this shouldn't be too bad if you're patient. Enclosed is a little bit of help for finding the familiar, should bring you some additional luck. Make sure to avoid the caves, most of them are interconnected and will lead you to the field boss on this floor. I can take him on, but the persistent damage in his lair will probably kill you. Once we settle down for a bit, feel free to look around for any sort of materials or fight mobs if you'd like. I'll be fishing while we wait. Don't worry, I'll split any finds with you once you get eyouor familiar.

@Mortambo

Spoiler

Eating: Golden Toast (+1 LD for a thread)

Giving 1 Golden Toast to Mortambo (+1 LD for a thread)

Following the girl out of town he thought “How strange that she sent me a message instead of speaking. Ah well, she seems to know what she’s about so I’ll just follow.” He took the Toast she gave him out of his inventory and took a bite as we walked. “This is…delicious! WOW. I mean, I’m sure it was for the buff, but still it’s one of the best things I’ve eaten in the game so far. You must be a great Cook! Thank you for sharing!” I grinned at her as I finished it up. “So where can we find a good fishing spot? I actually hadn’t thought of picking up fishing but I guess if I want to be a serious crafter I need to invest in ways to gather more materials.” As we continued walking I occasionally glance nervously around for monsters but stick close to Neopolitan to stay safe.  

@Neopolitan

Spoiler

Eating: Golden Toast (+1 LD for a thread)

Settling herself down for a good session of fishing, Neo just gestured to the flaming lake in front of the two. There was a couple prime fishing spots where she knew she couldn't fish up monsters, but none of them were on this floor. And aside from those spots, it seemed like everywhere else was the same. Just as she was thinking about having to face some mobs though, She noticed a rather strong tug on her line. That wasn't a good sign. As the tug slackened a bit, Neo didn't relax, instead placing down her fishing pole and grabbed her parasol. It was black with the weight, which seemed perfect now as a flaming fish leaped out of the oil lake and towards Neo. Managing to dodge it only slightly, she quickly went to look where it landed. It was heated enough that it was melting the already steaming rocks into a magma. This was not going to be a fun fight.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #111249

CD: 3 - loot minimum mob appears (I suggest you let me go first here Mort)

Neopolitan: 760/760 HP | 76/76 EN | 12 DMG | 41 MIT | 3 ACC | 4 FLN | +3 LD | +4 Stealth

Fire Fish: 380/380 HP | 114 DMG

@Mortambo

As Neo gestured I moved off a little to start gathering kind of humming to myself as she began to fish. I kept an eye on her and didn’t get too far, just in case something jumped out at me. I looked away for a moment, something catching my eye on the ground, and when I looked back up, Neo was placing her fishing pole down and picking up her parasol obviously readying herself for some kind of danger. Suddenly a flaming fish flew out of the lake and came flying at her. She dodged with amazing speed and it landed not too far away. As she turned to face it, I hesitated. Anything on this floor was beyond me and would likely kill me. I don’t think she would think I was a coward if I just watched from the sidelines. Shaking my head, “No way, I am no coward.” I unlimbered my axe and began to approach slowly so she could at least get the fish’s attention before I made my move.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • Mortambo: 120 HP | 12 EN | 2 DMG | 17 MIT | +2 LD 
  • Neopolitan: 760/760 HP | 76/76 EN | 12 DMG | 41 MIT | 3 ACC | 4 FLN | +3 LD | +4 Stealth
  • Fire Fish: 380/380 HP | 114 DMG

@Neopolitan

Edited by Mortambo

The fish circled around for a bit, and Neo patiently waited for it to attack her. She noticed out of the corner of her eye as well that Mortambo was making his way towards the two of them as well. Hopefully the fish wouldn't steer towards him or this fight could become dangerous. Seeing the fish dip completely underground for a second, Neo prepared to dodge it. Sure enough, it jumped up out of the earth once again and Neo was able to sidestep it, This time though, she whipped the blade out of her parasol, gleaming black with the corruption it held. Striking the flaming fish from its back, she could see it beginning to grey. It wouldn't take many more hits before it would be completely dead. Sure enough, she watched as it's miniature health bar dipped down into nearly the red area. One more good hit and this was all over.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #111255

BD: 6 + 3 = 9 - hit, fallen proc (12 + 4 = 16 * 14 = 224 damage)

CD: 3 - no recovery

MD: 3 - miss

[H: 1] @Neopolitan: 760/760 HP | 64/76 EN | 12 DMG | 41 MIT | 3 ACC | 4 FLN | +3 LD | +4 Stealth
[H: 0] @Mortambo: 120/120 HP | 12/12 EN | 2 DMG | 17 MIT | +2 LD 

Fire Fish: 156/380 HP | 114 DMG

As I approached cautiously, I saw Neo strike the fish and its health immediately drop to the red. Well, I guess she didn’t need my help, but I can’t be the kind of person to back down from the fight if I actually want to progress and get to the front lines. Taking a moment to set my resolve, before the fish could disappear under the earth again, I rushed forward and used <<Hack>> my battle axe swinging forward into two quick slashes across it before it finished its dive under the earth. Moving back to back to Neo I said, “I know you’ve probably got this handled, but I couldn’t just stand by and watch you fight it alone.” Gripping my axe tightly I warily waited for any sign of it surfacing again and steeled myself for that moment ready to spring into action the moment I saw it.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111260 results:
    •  Battle: 9 (CRIT! +1 DMG)
  • [H: 1] @Neopolitan: 760/760 HP | 64/76 EN | 12 DMG | 41 MIT | 3 ACC | 4 FLN | +3 LD | +4 Stealth
  • [H: 2] @Mortambo: 120/120 HP | 10/12 EN | 2 DMG | 17 MIT | +2 LD 
    • Hack: 2 DMG +1 DMG x2 = 6 DMG
  • Fire Fish: 150/380 HP | 114 DMG (-6)

Edited by Mortambo

Neo watched as Mortambo quickly went and dealt some damage to the fish. It wasn't too much, but at least it was something. Better to do some damage or at least go gather some materials than sit around and watch her fight. However, it seemed that the fish was starting to head towards him instead of her. Not letting him know so that he would stand still for the fish, Neo prepared to attack. Her blade didn't grow as dark this time, but still grew blacker instead of the blue of a normal sword art. The fish went under the earth in preparation for its jump once more, which meant Neo could immediately go for the attack. Leaping up and onto the man's shoulders, Neo's petite frame was supported momentarily as she prepared for the fish's resurfacing. It was not even a second before she was in the air just as the fish had come out of the water. Having back-flipped off of the fish, Neo quickly found her blade slicing it clean in two. The two halves sailed past either side of Mortambo and skidded onto the rock. With the fish dead and about to shatter, it no longer had the heat to melt through the rock.

Spoiler

ROll ID: #111265
BD: 5 + 3 = 8 - hit (12 * 14 = 168 damage)
CD: 9 - recovery
MD: Dead

[H: 2] @Neopolitan: 760/760 HP | 55/76 EN | 12 DMG | 41 MIT | 3 ACC | 4 FLN | +4 LD | +4 Stealth
[H: 2] @Mortambo: 120/120 HP | 12/12 EN | 2 DMG | 17 MIT | +2 LD 

Fire Fish: 0/380 HP | 114 DMG

Loot:

ID: #111266; LD: 16 + 4 = 20; CD: 5: HP*5 Col, perfect armor/shield, perfect trinket, 2 T1 mats

Loot Totals:

1900 Col
2 T1 Mats
1x Prefect T1 unidentified Armor/Shield [111266-A]
1x Prefect T1 unidentified Trinket [111266-B]

Seeing her suddenly vault up and over using my shoulders to get behind me and then slash the fish in two, I was in awe. “Wow, I’ve never seen anyone fight like that before. You’re awesome. Are you on the front lines?” I went over and looked at the remains of the fish. “I wanted an animal from this floor as a familiar to help me with my blacksmithing. Maybe not a fish though, I’d like something a little more mobile.” Assuming Neo would settle down and continue fishing, I walked back over to where I was gathering and had seen something on the ground. Digging around some he found some rocks that might make good gems or weapons. Guessing Neo was a cook he began to look around for some more relevant materials like…spices maybe on this floor? Looking around at the desolate bleak ash covered wilderness cooking materials didn’t seem likely except maybe from the fish.

Gathering Roll: 

Spoiler
  •  ID# 111270 results:
    •  Loot: 12 + 2 (Shirt) +1 (Toast) = 15 (Success!!)
  • Gained 1 T1 Material

@Neopolitan

Edited by Mortambo

Quickly sheathing her weapon once more, Neo made her way back over to her fishing rod. She just gave Mortambo a so-so motion when he asked if she was on the front lines. Though she had yet to fight with them in a floor boss fight, she was their cook. That could be considered being on the front lines. It didn't matter too much though. Casting her line back in, Neo could already tell that there was another monster on the line. Giving out a silent sigh, she put down the fishing rod again and prepared for a fight. It seemed this spot wasn't the best for fishing after all. At least defeating monsters gave her more chances at loot she could use, if it wasn't all too low of a level for her that is. It would've been nice to be up on floor 21, but that would've been much to high for a newer player.

Spoiler

ROll ID: #111278

CD: 3 - loot minimum mob appears

[H: 0] @Neopolitan: 760/760 HP | 56/76 EN | 12 DMG | 41 MIT | 3 ACC | 4 FLN | +4 LD | +4 Stealth
[H: 0] @Mortambo: 120/120 HP | 11/12 EN | 2 DMG | 17 MIT | +2 LD 

Fire Fish: 380/380 HP | 114 DMG

Loot Totals:

1900 Col
2 T1 Mats

Seeing that Neo had fished up another monster, I started to rush back to help but then stopped. “I’ll probably just get in her way. She handled the last one so effortlessly. I’ll just keep an eye out and stay close if she needs me but I’m sure she won’t have any problem.” I still kind of meandered my way back towards the fishing spot, trying to stay out of the combat, but ready to jump in if it looked like it was going south. As I kept one eye on the fight I continued to look around for more materials to gather or any interesting monsters to tame as a familiar. Something did catch my eye but as I bent down I saw that it was nothing, just a useless rock buried in the dirt. Disappointed, I stood up and watched Neo fight the fish for a few moments before continuing.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111280
    •  Loot: 1 + 2 (Shirt) + 1 (Toast) = 4 (FAIL! No materials found)
  • Total Materials Found: 1 T1 Material

@Neopolitan

Edited by Mortambo

The fish had leaped out of the earth again, and Neo distractedly swung at it as the blade came out of its sheathe. It connected and the fish was brought pretty low. Not as much asshe had done before, but that was no big deal. If it wanted to last a little bit longer, perhaps she could toy with it. Shaking off what she knew to be the blade's influkence, she looked around to see where the fish landed. It had been making her work for these materials, but at least it gave her some practice with fighting. The fish was spotted moving along through the rocks, following a similar path as the last fish as that rock was. Still a little bit soft from the heat. Glad she hadn't brought anything for warmth, Neo prepared for her next strike against the fish.

Or we could surprise the fish and go to it.

Get out of my head, you're just a blade.

Am I?

Spoiler

Rolll ID: #111281
BD: 4 + 3 = 7 - hit (12 * 14 = 168 damage)
CD: 11 - recovery
MD: 2 - miss

[H: 1] @Neopolitan: 760/760 HP | 47/76 EN | 12 DMG | 41 MIT | 3 ACC | 4 FLN | +4 LD | +4 Stealth
[H: 0] @Mortambo: 120/120 HP | 12/12 EN | 2 DMG | 17 MIT | +2 LD 

Fire Fish: 212/380 HP | 114 DMG

Loot Totals:

1900 Col
3 T1 Mats

As I watched Neo fight out of the corner of my eye I saw the fish’s health drop pretty low. Confident that she had it handled I began to wander a little farther away in search of materials. As I wandered and looked for things that stood out among the rocks I noticed something shining light in a small outcropping. I slowly creeped around the corner and saw an amazing sight. It was a creature that in appearance was the form of a domestic cat, but completely wreathed in fire. At the moment it was grooming itself and just sitting there regally, and I was stunned. This was exactly the kind of familiar I wanted! I loved cats and they could be so useful at my forge. I began to inch closer, but stumbled sliding down the ground and out into the open. The fire cat’s ears flicked up and it looked towards me showing I had startled it some.

Roll to find familiar:

Spoiler
  • ID 111302
    •  Loot: 14 + 2 (Shirt) +1 (Toast) = 17 (Success! Familiar found!)
  • Next 4 posts require a CD roll of 9+ to actually tame it. 

@Neopolitan

Edited by Mortambo

Neo was waiting for the fish to surface when she noticed Mortambo going towards something. Probably the familiar he was looking for. As she had been looking to the side though, she felt a sudden pain on her arm. The fish had taken the moment to jump up and bite her. She shook it upwards and quickly unleashed a series of attacks towards it, its health bar dipping deep into the red now. There was little else for to do now than to wait for its attack to come at her. Perhaps she could make it become food for the familiar. Probably not, but it was the thought that counted right?

Or we kill the player with the fish.

How would we do that? No... Why would we even do that?

He could betray us at any moment.

And we can handle it if it does happen. He is clearly a lower level than use from that one hit he did.

But what if he is holding back...

Spoiler

Roll ID: #111373
BD: 4 + 3 = 7 - hit ( 12 * 14 = 168 damage)
CD: 8 - recovery
MD: 10 - critical hit (114 + 2 - 41 = 75 damage)

[H: 2] @Neopolitan: 685/760 HP | 47/76 EN | 12 DMG | 41 MIT | 3 ACC | 4 FLN | +4 LD | +4 Stealth

Fire Fish: 44/380 HP | 114 DMG

Loot Totals:

1900 Col
3 T1 Mats

I was so focused on my familiar I did not even notice Neo looking my way. I must look pretty ridiculous down on the ground all fours splayed out trying to be small and non-threatening to this fire cat. Now what? Do I treat it like a cat in the real world? Or like a wild animal? After a few moments of me being still the cat relaxed some and just watched me inquisitively. I crept forward slowly, trying not to spook it until I got in range to be sure I could throw some food to it. I slowly took the <<Familiar Food>> out of my inventory and tossed it over to the cat. It landed about a foot away and at first the cat just stared at it like the food was going to keep moving. It looked to me and back at the food before taking one step towards it and bending down, it’s eyes locked with mine, to sniff at the food. It began to eat, accepting my offer and I let out a sigh of relief.

Taming Result:

Spoiler
  • ID 111374
    •  Craft: 11 (SUCCESS!)
  • Successfully tamed my familiar!

@Neopolitan

Edited by Mortambo

It seemed Mortambo was doing fine with the task at his hand, and Neo wasn't too worried about this fish. What she was worried about though, was just how much of a pain this rapier was becoming. She had hoped she could control it, but it seemed to be getting wilder and wilder every moment she used it. Even now as she slaughtered the monster, she could barely feel anything. All the feelings she could see was how the blade wanted her to kill more. It was strange to be having so little control over what she felt even when in total control of her actions. Turning to see that her party member had managed to tame himself a familiar, Neo decided it would be best if they left the lake alone. No sense trying to repeat their mistakes and doing things over once more with fighting monsters. There was enough loot to be worth coming out here, though certainly not the most efficient way of gaining resources.

Spoiler

Roll ID: #111380
BD: 8 - hit (just... dead)
CD: 2 - no recovery
MD: dead

[H: 3] @Neopolitan: 685/760 HP | 34/76 EN | 12 DMG | 41 MIT | 3 ACC | 4 FLN | +4 LD | +4 Stealth

Fire Fish: 0/380 HP | 114 DMG

Loot roll: ID: #111381; LD: 15 + 4 = 19; CD: 6; HP * 5 Col, perfect armor/shield, perfect trinket, 2 mats

Loot Totals:

3800 Col
5 T1 Mats
2x Prefect T1 unidentified Armor/Shield [111266-A] [111381-A]
2x Prefect T1 unidentified Trinket [111266-B] [111381-B]

As I approached the fire cat slowly and deliberately taking very careful movements, it watched me warily as it ate the food. As it finished up the first handful I tossed it I offered it some more, and reached out to and as I did it sniffed my hand. The heat from its body was enough that I knew I didn’t want to actually touch it, but it seemed all right with me being rather close. It relaxed some as it ate the second handful of food and once it had finished it looked to me as if it was ready to follow. As we walked back to Neo, it looked around and kind of batted at a rock. Looking more closely its paw had melted some of the outside revealing some ore. As I picked up the material I told the cat “Good boy? Girl? Anyway, good cat,” and I smiled at it. “Mrow?” it responded inquisitively as we caught back up with Neo.

Gathering Roll: 

Spoiler
  • ID 111383
    •  Loot: 13 + 2 (Shirt) +1 (Toast) = 16
  • Total Materials Found: 2 T1 Materials

@Neopolitan

Edited by Mortambo

Neo waited a little bit longer for the two to come over to her, and tried to see if there was anything else nearby for her to collect quickly. Seeing nothing and her necklace cold, Neo decided to do her best instead to greet the little cat. She bent down to offer it her hand as Roman also flew down to greet the animal. It was nice to see that there was more people getting pets for themselves. And hopefully this one would turn out to be just as strong. Of course, it probably would considering there was little randomness in this game when it came to the pets. But it was still a nice idea to be hopeful about the future. That was what kept her out of those dark places her weapon kept wanting to drag her back to.

Some day, we'll be able to see eye to eye.

Why not join me in this darkness and we can do that right now.

@Mortambo (post the summary and I'll get ready to close the thread. don't forget to eval your familiar)