[F02-SP] <<Training Your Friend>> And Into the Fire

As I prepared to leave the city of Urbus to go out and train Sunetra I was struggling to find a way to carry or hold them comfortably. I knelt down, and reached out and they nuzzled my palm gently letting their fire dim just a little bit. It was still hot to the touch but not burning. Thinking hard for a moment I pursed my lips. I need to find some way for them to stay with me, but not burn everything down around us. It’s not their fault they are made of fire. Wait…that’s it! I started wandering among the shops until I found one selling clothes and bought a little bit of cloth that was flame retardant. I tucked it behind my head in the hood of my armored long coat and grinned. “Okay, Sunetra, let’s try this,” I said as I lifted them up and put them in the hood. “Mrow,” they responded happily and snuggled deeper into the impromptu blanket.

Quest Requirements:

Spoiler
  • Role-play training your familiar in its task (relate it to the familiar mastery you plan to take)
  • At least one page (20 posts) of RP

Quest Mechanics:

Spoiler
  • Once every 5 posts, attempt to train your familiar (CD 7+). After three successful attempts, you have successfully trained your familiar.

Quest Rewards:

Spoiler
  • Familiar mastery skill (may only have one unlocked at a time)
  • SP (First completion only)

Combat Stats:

Spoiler
  • Mortambo: HP 160 | EN 16/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD +2
    • Battle Axe (+1 DMG)
    • Armored Coat of the Warrior (+3 MIT)
    • Lucky Shirt (+2 LD)

Monsters:

Spoiler
  • Wolf: HP 80/80 | DMG 24

Edited by Mortambo
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I walked down the southern path away from Urbus, just happily humming to myself. That time in the <<Garden>> on Floor 1 had been very good for me. I remember as I looked for the path to go up into the mountains for the <<Breaking the Unbreakable>> quest I saw a weirdly shaped rock. It was nice and flat though and I thought it would be great for training Sunetra to help me in my workshop far away from the very flammable Town of Beginnings around it. Humming along, suddenly a Wolf jumped out of the trees and attacked me. Quickly unlimbering my Battle Axe I leapt forward and activated <<Hack>> my axe flashing in two quick, successive strikes. As they landed, the Wolf shook its head whimpering for a moment before snapping its jaws across my leg and barely penetrating my armor. I began to circle it smiling waiting for another opening.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111476
    •  Battle: 6 (HIT!)
    •  MOB: 8 (HIT!)
  • Mortambo: HP 159/160 | EN 14/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (HP -1) (EN -2)
    • Hack: DMG 3 x 2 = 6 
  • Wolf: HP 74/80 | DMG 24 (HP - 6)
    • Attack: DMG 24 - 35 MIT = 1 DMG

Edited by Mortambo

As the Wolf and I circled each other, I felt Sunetra shift in my hood and their warmth as they looked over my shoulder. “Mrow?” they said looking at the Wolf. “Nah, you don’t need to help. I’ll be okay,” I smiled and lifted them out of my hood placed them on the ground dropping my guard for the moment. The Wolf suddenly lunged forward snapping at me, and I threw up the haft of my Axe between us. As the Wolf growled at me, we briefly wrestled before I kicked him off my axe. Sunetra just strode a little ways away and turned and watched. I circled briefly again and then went to <<Hack>> at the Wolf’s flank quickly darting to its side. My Sword Art didn’t connect however and I let out my own frustrated growl. “I’ll be okay as long as I don’t keep missing like this.”

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111490
    •  Battle: 3 (MISS!)
    •  MOB: 2 (MISS!)
  • Mortambo: HP 159/160 | EN 13/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (EN -2)
  • Wolf: HP 74/80 | DMG 24 
Edited by Mortambo

I locked eyes with the Wolf as we circled one another again looking for openings in the other’s defenses. I tried the same move as before and darted to the side activating my Sword Art. This time, however, the Wolf was ready for it and twisted out of reach before diving at me and snapping at my arm. I definitely felt the crunch of my arm as the armor was dented but its teeth did not find any purchase to grab on to. Cursing slightly under my breath I jumped back checking the place in my armor. It was fine but that had been a pretty good hit. I’ll have to thank Macradon next time I stop by his shop to tell him how much this armor has saved my skin. Even in my first fight with something! The Wolf growled as pushed him off of me and got some distance.  

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111520
    •  Battle: 2 (MISS!)
    •  MOB: 7 (HIT!)
  • Mortambo: HP 158/160 | EN 12/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (HP -1) (EN -2)
  • Wolf: HP 74/80 | DMG 24 

Edited by Mortambo

Eyeing him warily, I just rushed forward and slashed him twice in quick succession across the muzzle with <<Hack>>. Whimpering as my slashes hit it and falling back slightly, it then growled low in its throat and lunged forward attacking my leg this time. I felt the impact and kneed it off of me once again moving back. I need to learn to be much quicker on my feet. I don’t know how long just letting things chew on me is going to be a viable tactic. I quickly glanced around to be sure Sunetra was safe and sure enough they were just placidly sitting about fifteen or twenty feet away placidly watching this whole fight happy to just burn a small char mark in the forest floor. Turning my attention back to the growling Wolf I grinned. “Well if Sunetra has that much confidence then you don’t have a chance at all Wolf.”

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111524
    •  Battle: 7 (HIT!)
    •  MOB: 8 (HIT!)
  • Mortambo: HP 157/160 | EN 11/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (HP -1) (EN -2)
    • Hack: DMG 3 x 2 = 6 DMG
  • Wolf: HP 68/80 | DMG 24  (HP - 6)
Edited by Mortambo

As I was still chuckling, the Wolf lunged at my throat. I managed to get my arm in its way and it crunched down. Using that leverage, I spun the wolf down and activated <<Hack>> again slashing his underbelly in a quick x-shaped motion. Leaping back I laughed, “Good try, Wolf, but you still don’t have a chance.” Circling again, I faked to the left and the Wolf dodged to the right. “Oh, yeah, I have you just where I want you.” It’s interesting that the System responds so predictably. Maybe just because it’s a pretty basic monster? I mean I would assume that they get more complex as you go up the levels. I glanced at Sunetra out of the corner of my eye and now they were giving me an almost disapproving look as I continued my circle looking for an opening. If it moves this way and I go…

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111525
    •  Battle: 8 (HIT!)
  • Mortambo: HP 156/160 | EN 10/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (HP -1) (EN -2)
  • Wolf: HP 62/80 | DMG 24  (HP - 6)

Edited by Mortambo

…like this and Hack! I activated the Sword Art and slashed the Wolf twice more. This time when the Wolf snapped back I kicked them in the nose and it just whimpered and backed off growling at me again and eyeing me warily. I had hurt it a lot at this point, its hit points were almost a quarter of the way gone. I dodged forward a few times feinting, and the Wolf also went for bites but neither of us were really finding the chance to hit. I realized it was testing me and my defenses. So it is reacting to my tactics. Good, I thought this might start to get boring. Smiling to it, “I’m glad your adapting, Wolf, but you still can’t get through my armor.” Almost as if it understood it growled deep and low in its throat before darting forward and snapping at me again.   

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111526
    •  Battle: 6 (HIT!)
    •  MOB: 2 (MISS!)
  • Mortambo: HP 156/160 | EN 9/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (EN -2)
  • Wolf: HP 56/80 | DMG 24  (HP - 6)
Edited by Mortambo

The Wolf’s lunge was wild and erratic. Again letting it snap at my arm, I used its momentum against it to throw it down to the ground behind me. I spun lightly on my feet and activated my Sword Art, slashing it in two quick overhead strikes into its soft underbelly. Yelping in pain the Wolf rolled to its feet and moved away to get some distance. It would be very injured if this was the real world. It was nearly down to half of its health now even with that single strike. Circling again, we each kept testing the other’s defense looking for openings. I wonder if the monsters here feel fear. Do they just keep fighting until they are done? That seems miserable. But then I guess they are really just bits of code so can they be miserable? I don’t think so. Shaking my head I concentrated back on the Wolf. Get your head in the game!

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111528
    •  Battle: 9 (CRITICAL! +1 DMG)
    •  MOB: 1 (MISS!)
  • Mortambo: HP 156/160 | EN 8/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (EN -2)
    • Hack: DMG 4 x 2 = 8 DMG
  • Wolf: HP 48/80 | DMG 24  (HP - 8)

Edited by Mortambo

Taking advantage of my distraction, the Wolf darted forward snapping at my leg trying to hamstring me. Its teeth smashed against my armor with very little result, but as I snapped back to the fight I unleashed my Sword Art wildly completely missing the mark. That’s what you get for getting distracted. Being so protected is making you sloppy. Concentrate and wait for the opening. Then strike. It’s simple. I began to circle again waiting for my chance to strike. Growling low in its throat the Wolf seemed like it was getting frustrated having made plenty of good, solid strikes and not done much damage to me yet. Its yellow gold eyes narrowed as it lunged again and this time I dodged easily and it twisted out of the way of my counter swing. Well we both were still fighting fit at least. As I landed on my feet from dodging backwards and swinging, I immediately darted to the side to attack its flank.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111530
    •  Battle: 5 (MISS!)
  • Mortambo: HP 155/160 | EN 7/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (HP -1) (EN -2)
  • Wolf: HP 48/80 | DMG 24
    • Attack: 24 DMG - 35 MIT = 1 DMG

Edited by Mortambo

I had a moment of clarity where I thought I had it but I misjudged the distance and as I activated my Sword Art my two slices were just short of the Wolf’s body. Not realizing how narrowly I missed it, it spun around and bit my arm. This time it bit hard enough that felt the sting and I immediately shook it off. It let out a surprised yip as it still couldn’t find anything to really grab and sink its teeth into. Backing off we spent some time circling and staring and looking for openings in the other’s guard again. This shouldn’t be this hard. It’s just a stupid wolf on the second floor. I need to train harder if it is giving me this much trouble although maybe doing that quest to unlock Martial Arts I’ve heard about will help. I mean a skill I have to unlock with a quest must be pretty useful.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111531
    •  Battle: 3 (MISS!)
  • Mortambo: HP 154/160 | EN 6/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (HP -1) (EN -2)
  • Wolf: HP 48/80 | DMG 24

Edited by Mortambo

I've already scouted out where it is I just need to actually go do it. Maybe I can get a group together. Watching the Wolf, I switched directions I was circling and it hesitated for just a split second. Maybe I could use that. I switched again and sure enough there was a moment I could exploit. I quickly moved one way, then switched directions and when the Wolf hesitated I lunged forward activating <<Hack>> this time hitting it hard, taking it down to nearly twenty five percent of its remaining hit points. It spun around quickly crunching down on my arm but doing little damage as usual before backing off again. Let’s see how long this new tactic works before it learns not to let me exploit that small hesitation. I grinned to myself as I felt a new surge of energy and focus for this battle. At least it’s still interesting.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111532
    •  Battle: 10 (CRITICAL! +2 DMG)
  • Mortambo: HP 153/160 | EN 5/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (HP -1) (EN -2)
    • Hack: DMG 3 + 2 DMG x 2 = 10 DMG
  • Wolf: HP 38/80 | DMG 24 (HP -10)

Edited by Mortambo

At that thought, the Wolf’s growl deepened and it darted forward savagely attacking. I was put on the defensive, barely deflecting the whirlwind of teeth and fur as I fell back a few steps. I dodged to the side at one point and released my Sword Art trying to stop the onslaught but I mistimed it and the Wolf slipped through my guard and bit my leg. It finally managed to find purchase on my armor and yanked hard making me fall to the ground with a thud. Jumping on top of me to pin me to the ground, the Wolf growled savagely and kept up the onslaught. I managed to shove the haft of my axe in its mouth to hold it off. Where the hell did this come from? I guess that’s one way to change tactics. What can I do? I can’t stay on the defensive certainly!

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111533
    •  Battle: 4 (MISS)
    •  MOB: 6 (HIT!)
  • Mortambo: HP 152/160 | EN 4/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (HP -1) (EN -2)
  • Wolf: HP 38/80 | DMG 24 

Edited by Mortambo

Still struggling with the Wolf, my brain was frantically trying to figure out what to do. Different possibilities and scenarios kept flashing through my head but before I could decide to act the Wolf would snap at me again forcing me to react. Finally, I missed with the haft of my Axe and it slipped my guard going straight for my throat. Panicking, I used the ground as leverage and kicked up into the air sending the wolf sailing through the air and starting to jump up to my feet. As we began to lift I felt my Axe slide into the proper activation sequence for <<Hack>> and I let it go, delivering two quick slashes and finishing landing on my feet. The Wolf sprawled in the dirt for a moment in shock before jumping up itself and charging back at me. In that moment I winked at Sunetra, who still looked unimpressed. “C’mon, that at least had to look pretty cool!”

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111534
    •  Battle: 10 (CRITICAL! +2 DMG)
    •  MOB: 3 (MISS!)
  • Mortambo: HP 152/160 | EN 3/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (EN -2)
    • Hack: 3 DMG + 2 DMG x2 = 10 DMG
  • Wolf: HP 28/80 | DMG 24 (-10 DMG)

Edited by Mortambo

The only reply was the crackling of Sunetra’s fire as I turned back to face the charging Wolf. Darting to the side, I thought I had an opening but it twisted around far too quickly, ready for my tactics and lunged for my arm crunching down. Shaking it off I could tell that was one bite that would have crunched through the bone and left my arm useless. I lunged forward hoping to counter with <<Hack>> but it easily moved out of the way. I can’t keep missing like this. I’ll be out of energy soon and then I’ll be stuck to just regular attacks which will be so rough. I remember fighting the boars and they were tough with just my basic attacks I can’t imagine what trying to kill this wolf will be like. The Wolf kept up the pressure and pressed the attack but I was starting to see a pattern.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111535
    •  Battle: 3 (MISS! )
    •  MOB: 9 (CRITICAL! +1 DMG)
  • Mortambo: HP 151/160 | EN 2/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (HP -1) (EN -2)
  • Wolf: HP 28/80 | DMG 24 
    • Attack: 24 DMG + 1 DMG - 35 MIT = 1 DMG

Edited by Mortambo

I learned many lessons as a researcher in the real world, but the biggest thing was this: everything follows some kind of pattern. I went on the defensive and watched for a better opening in the Wolf’s onslaught dodging back and forth to keep it in the same general circle and to see how it reacted to me moving different ways. I activated my Sword Art to see how it might dodge and it surely enough it did, but in the same way it had dodged my last attack. Slowly the pattern began to emerge but I couldn’t do much else besides just stay out of its attack range as I studied it. Everything has a pattern, in this world even more than in the real world. Everything here is just a program, just a set of instructions. It’s easy to forget that because their interactions seem so real, but now I can see the results.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111536
    •  Battle: 1 (CRITICAL MISS! )
    •  MOB: 3 (MISS!)
  • Mortambo: HP 151/160 | EN 1/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 (EN -2)

Edited by Mortambo

I tested its defenses again and let it dodge to the side. I think I finally have that part down. There is just one more test. I kept up my little dance with the Wolf and thought about where it had been concentrating its attacks. It’s been attacking my legs to slow me down and my arms to try and stop me from successfully attacking it but definitely my arms more than my legs. Let’s see what it goes for now that I’ve just been dodging around so much. I stopped for a split second and let it attack me confident that its teeth wouldn’t penetrate my armor. It lunged for my leg and as its teeth scraped across my armor trying to trip me up again I brought my knee up to kick it off. Well there’s my answer, but there’s also a way to get an opening if I’m fast enough.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111537
    •  MOB: 10 (CRITICAL HIT! +2 DMG)
  • Mortambo: HP 150/160 | EN 0/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD +2  (HP -1) (EN -2)
    • Attack: 24 DMG + 2 DMG - 35 MIT = 1 DMG 

Edited by Mortambo

I kept up the pattern of dodging and weaving but kept it unpredictable enough that the Wolf didn’t adapt to it completely. Now to see if this really works. I hesitated just a moment and let it think I stumbled and it lunged for my leg again. I slashed it across the back, but it managed to get a good solid bite on my leg in return. Well my armor certainly allows me to trade blows like this but I don’t think that’s optimal by any means. I need to see if I can be quicker on the attack and then continuing to move. I just have to be faster. Is it the System holding me back or something else? I tried to mentally push myself to move faster but either the Wolf matched my speed or else it wasn’t a very significant increase because nothing seemed to change as I dodged it’s attacks.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111538
    •  Battle: 9 (CRITICAL HIT! +1 DMG)
    •  MOB: 7 ( HIT!)
  • Mortambo: HP 149/160 | EN 0/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD +2  (HP -1) (EN -1)
    • Attack: 3 DMG + 1 DMG
  • Wolf: HP 24/80 | DMG 24 (-4 HP)

Edited by Mortambo

This tactic seems to work well though, and he's weak enough that I can let him chew on me. I stopped briefly again to let him snap at my legs, slashed him, then kicked him off again. I mean it's not ideal, but it seems to be working well for now. I certainly need to invest in some evasion gear before I fight something that can tear through my armor. Still keeping my pattern of dodging, feinting, and attacking with the Wolf also keeping up its nearly constant onslaught the fight was probably far more entertaining now. I glanced over at Sunetra out of the corner of my eye and they were curled up not even looking my direction taking a nap. Well so much for impressing them with my combat prowess and amazing tactics. I guess they fought a lot scarier stuff on the ninth floor than this Wolf.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111539
    •  MOB: 9 ( CRITICAL HIT! +1 DMG)
  • Mortambo: HP 148/160 | EN 0/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD +2  (HP -1) (EN -1)
    • Attack: 3 DMG 
  • Wolf: HP 21/80 | DMG 24 (-3 HP)
    • Attack: 24 DMG + 1 DMG - 35 MIT = 1 DMG 

Edited by Mortambo

I wonder though how powerful Sunetra really is. I mean she was surviving on the ninth floor and must have eaten something. Possibly those fish that Miss Neo was fighting. No wonder they are bored out of their mind watching this. I hesitated again, this time offering my left leg instead of my right. The Wolf once again took the bait and snapped at it getting slashed in the flank as a reward. I danced back again and the wolf hesitated. Eagerly I went for another slash but too late I realized it was a fake out. The Wolf lunged for my throat. I had just enough time to get my Axe in between us and throw the Wolf off spinning around to face it again. Apparently, it has learned. Time to change things up again. It backed off growling and circling. As I mirrored its movements it kept its eyes locked on mine.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111540
    •  MOB: 9 ( CRITICAL HIT! +1 DMG)
  • Mortambo: HP 147/160 | EN 0/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD +2  (HP -1) (EN -1)
    • Attack: 3 DMG 
  • Wolf: HP 18/80 | DMG 24 (-3 HP)
    • Attack: 24 DMG + 1 DMG - 35 MIT = 1 DMG 

Edited by Mortambo

Back to circling each other I tried to find an opening. Maybe if I pressed the attack that would work? I jumped upward making a huge overhead slash as I came down on where the Wolf was as it easily dodged away from my attack. It must be too broadcast if I am that flashy. It snapped at my arm as I hesitated for a moment and I used that momentum to reach up with my hand and grab the fur of its neck and toss it a little ways away. I need time some time and space to think. That should buy me a few moments at least. So far, if I press the attack it targets my arms, if I dodge a lot it targets my legs, and if I let my guard down completely it lunges at my neck trying to take me down so it can get to my weakest unarmored point.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111541
    •  MOB: 8 ( HIT!)
  • Mortambo: HP 146/160 | EN 0/16 | DMG 3 | MIT 35 | LD +2  (HP -1) (EN -1)
    • Attack: 3 DMG (MISS!) 
  • Wolf: HP 18/80 | DMG 24 

Edited by Mortambo