[F01-SP] <<The Third Lesson, Is Just As Free>> A Beautiful Jewel

Having briefly met Hannah last night as she was leaving the garden to deliver Lyle’s package, I found my way back there the next morning. I sleepily meandered through the streets of the Town of Beginnings getting some breakfast and then finally found myself at the gate to her garden again. As I walked through it, the birds sang from the trees and I felt the warmth of Sunetra’s head on my shoulder. By the time I found Hannah near the center of the Garden I had a big peaceful smile on my face. “Good morning, Hannah. You told me last night that you might have a quest for me if I came back early this morning. What is it that you need?” The NPC girl smiled and said “It’s not as simple as you might think.” She opened the box from Lyle and showed me the ring inside of it.

Quest Requirements:

Spoiler
  • -At least one [1] Pages (21 or more posts)
  • -Must have completed 'The Second Lesson, Is Also Free' before taking this quest
  • -Must RP traveling to and from Hannah's grove.
  • -Must RP exploring the cave to find the jewel
  • -Defeat the Cave Guardian (appears after grabbing the jewel)
  • -Maximum Party size of 4.

Monsters:

Spoiler

Cave Guardian: HP 20/20 | DMG 5 (No bonus from crits)

- Dmg: 50 (on first successful hit only)

Combat Stats:

Spoiler

Mortambo: HP 200/200 | EN: 20/20 | DMG: 3 | MIT: 17 | TH 18 | RGN 5 | LD 2

• Battle Axe (+1 DMG)
  • Greaves of Retaliation (+2 Thorns, +1 Regen)
  • Lucky Shirt (+2 LD)
  • Familiar Mastery: Protector (+9 MIT)

Battle-Ready Inventory

1. 1 'Safeguard' Potion for <<The Third Lesson, Is Just As Free>>

Quest Rewards:

Spoiler
  • One of the following items

• 1 Tier one Amulet with  +1 Evasion

• 1 Tier one ring with +1 Accuracy or,

• 2 Additional Skill Points

USING A YUI'S GRACE FOR +1 SP TO THIS THREAD

Edited by Mortambo

She took the ring from the box and continued, “Lyle made this for an order I have but I need a gem from a cave outside the Town and well,” she motioned down to her regular clothes and lack of weapons, “I’m not the intrepid adventurer you are. If you could head to this cave there should be a wondrous gem set in the wall. It’s hard to see there in the darkness but I’m sure you can find it. Although do watch out for the bats.” I just nodded as she finished the explanation of where to go and headed outside the town and hurriedly towards the cave. I wasn’t afraid any more, and I could take anything this cave had to throw at me. As I reached the mouth of the cave, I began to look around for materials. I might as well find things for me to use while I’m getting this gem for Hannah.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID111685
    •  Craft: 12 (+3 Bonus Materials)
    •  Loot: 20 (SUCCESS! 1 Material Found!)
  • T1 Materials Found: 0 + 4 = 4 

Edited by Mortambo

Almost immediately, I stumbled across a rich vein of ore inside the cave and picked up quite a few great pieces. I began to search around some more for some good materials but couldn’t seem to find anything else. I let Sunetra down out of my hood and they even melted through some of the rocks to see if there was more shiny ore inside but still found nothing. I looked at the tunnel leading deeply into the cave and it was pitch black. The light from Sunetra’s fire barely lit the darkness and probably wouldn’t do much of anything if it came to fighting. Wonderful, I love the dark, said no adventurer ever. I’ll be fine with my armor and Sunetra’s protection but it’s still not going to be fun traveling through the darkness. I motioned to Sunetra for us to go deeper into the caves and they meowed, the sound echoing off the rocks.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111686
    • Craft: 10 (No Bonus)
    • Loot: 4 + 2 = 6 (FAIL)
  • T1 Materials Found: 4

Edited by Mortambo

I shushed them, “Sunetra! We don’t want everything in the cave to know we are coming.” We crept forward slowly their light allowing me to avoid knocking into anything but not much else. I kept my eyes out for more ore and Sunetra would occasionally play with a rock here or there to see if there was more ore. Hannah had said the gem we were looking for was deeper in the cave so I wasn’t worried about that yet. Unfortunately, so far, I hadn’t found anything else useful. Tripping slightly over one of the rocks I stopped for a moment and knelt. Sunetra stopped as well to nuzzle my hand and we looked around. “I really don’t like this darkness but it’s just a silly gem right? Let’s get it and get out of here fast.” They just nuzzled my hand again and walked a few steps forward. “Yes, yes I’m coming.”

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111687
    • Craft: 10 (No Bonus)
    • Loot: 4 + 2 = 6 (FAIL)
  • T1 Materials Found: 4

Edited by Mortambo

As I crept forward into the shadows, I kept an ear out for any other movement in the cave. Hearing nothing but the slight echoes of my own footfalls I squinted my eyes against the faint light from Sunetra. I saw the light glint off of something and I realized it was more pieces of ore. Kneeling down to quickly add them to my inventory I also unlimbered my axe to get it ready for combat. The darkness has me feeling a little anxious. I certainly want to be ready for anything that might attack. The sudden vision of something swooping out of the darkness gripped me in fear and I stopped to steady myself. Yep, definitely not liking the darkness. I opened my eyes to the light glow coming from Sunetra and smiled. At least they’ll protect me. I’ll always have their help. Continuing on into the darkness I thought about that one small point of light.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111688
    • Craft: 7 (+2 Bonus Materials)
    • Loot: 20 + 2 = 22 (SUCCESS! +1 Material Found)
  • T1 Materials Found: 4 + 3 = 7
Edited by Mortambo

As we continued, the sounds of my movement seemed to reverberate in the darkness. Just beyond the faint light, it seemed thick and heavy like a blanket covering whatever terrifying things waited for us in the deep reaches of this cave. I kept an eye out for the gem and anything else useful for crafting but my mind raced wondering what else was out there. Hannah mentioned bats but there could be anything in this cave right? Goblins, trolls, ogres... Dragons. My mind continued to race through all the possibilities from all the other games I have played. None of them are good. Especially when it's this dark and creepy. I can just see things rushing from out of the darkness to kill me. My heart began racing and I stopped to close my eyes and center myself a moment before continuing on. I kept repeating it’s okay over and over in my head until I stopped panicking.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111689
    • Craft: 2 (No Bonus)
    • Loot: 9 + 2 = 11 (No Material Found)
  • T1 Materials Found:  7

Edited by Mortambo

As I crept further into the cave, with Sunetra’s light being swallowed by the impending darkness, every few steps I still stopped and waited listening for movement. Even moving slowly and quietly, it echoed slightly tricking my ear into thinking something else was possibly moving. If something out there is moving, it must be timing itself to move as we move. No, don’t think about that. You’ll hype yourself up for no reason. Just be ready if something does happen. Plus, you know Sunetra has your back. There’s nothing to worry about. Suddenly on the wall the light shined on some more ore. I walked over to it and searched the ground finding some good ore just laying around. As I kneeled down to add it to my inventory, Sunetra nuzzled my leg again, sensing my distress. “It’s all right. I’m doing fine…I just don’t like the dark very much.”

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111690
    • Craft: 4 (+1 Bonus Material)
    • Loot: 18 + 2 = 20 (SUCCESS! 1 T1 Material Found)
  • T1 Materials Found:  7 + 2 = 9

Edited by Mortambo

Sunetra nuzzled me again and for the moment I just sat on the floor instead of continuing on not seeing any more ore around for the moment I needed a second to rest. As I sat cross legged and leaned back against the wall closing my eyes, Sunetra climbed into my lap dimming her fire so she wouldn’t burn me. It was still wonderful feeling that warmth and heat in the dark place I was in. Suddenly, I felt that warmth spread up and outwards and I opened my eyes looking to see what it was. There was a faint glow that shimmered a few inches out from us and I realized that they had raised their shield they used to protect us in battle. Not understanding what was wrong but wanting to protect me they had done the best they knew how. I leaned over and hugged Sunetra to me enjoying their warmth and feeling completely safe in that moment.

Gathering Roll: 

Spoiler
  • ID 111691
    • Craft: 2 (No Bonus Material)
    • Loot: 5 + 2 = 7 (FAIL! No Material Found)
  • T1 Materials Found:  9

Edited by Mortambo

After a few moments, which stretched out into an eternity, I started moving again. Sunetra climbed out of my lap as I did and I stood up and stretched a little. “Let’s go on, we can do this,” I said mostly to myself as we kept creeping through the cave. Very soon we came across more ore and a few smaller jewels that could be used as materials but not much else was found. Where was this massive jewel Hannah had described? How far into this stupid cave did I need to go? Next time it’s caves I need to get a lamp or learn <<Night Vision>> or something. I just can’t do this again, I hate being this blind. My anxiety level starting rising again but I quickly cut it off. No way, one breakdown per adventure is more than enough thanks. Let’s get this jewel and get out of here.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111692
    • Craft: 7 (+2 Bonus Material)
    • Loot: 14+ 2 = 16 (SUCCESS! 1 T1 Material Found)
  • T1 Materials Found:  9 +3 = 12

Edited by Mortambo

As I continued, the tunnel widened into a much larger chamber. I could hear water dripping from the ceiling the echoes magnifying it to an almost deafening roar. Sunetra and I crept along the right wall and starting making our way around the circular room avoiding the rocky outcroppings as we went and keeping an eye out for the gem we were sent for. As we walked, we found some more ore just lying around and quickly continued on. This has to be the place that has the gem. I feel like we are getting close. Wait…I had something from Lyle for this, didn’t I? I checked my inventory and sure enough I had the Safeguard potion he had given me. This whole time I could have felt more protected. Why didn’t I remember this sooner? Taking it out I uncorked it and swigged the bottle, letting it disappear as I finished the potion.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111693
    • Craft: 9 (+2 Bonus Material)
    • Loot: 13+ 2 = 15 (SUCCESS! 1 T1 Material Found)
  • T1 Materials Found:  12 +3 = 15

Drank Safeguard Potion for this quest. Protects me from all damage from a single hit!

Edited by Mortambo

A warmth suffused my skin, much like being surrounded in Sunetra’s protective aura. I shook my head at myself again in frustration. THIS WHOLE TIME. I mean it’s not perfect but at least knowing something wouldn’t just appear out of the darkness and kill me in one blow maybe would have made me a little calmer. Oh well, its fine now. Continuing to wander in the larger room, Sunetra and I did not find any more materials at the moment, but eventually while we stuck close to the walls we did come across a rather large gem inset in the wall. This must be it! I set my axe down for the moment and started trying to pry it out of the wall. I was having some difficulty so I took out a few of my smithing tools to try and get something behind it to pop it out of the rock.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111719
    • Craft: 8 (No bonus)
    • Loot:  6 + 2 = 8 (FAIL)
  • T1 Materials Found: 15

Edited by Mortambo

As the gem popped out into my hand, I heard something moving in the darkness behind me. Kneeling down, I grabbed my axe spinning up to my feet and putting the rock to my back. A shape swooped down from the ceiling and directly at me, and I tried to dodge while activating <<Hack>> but my Sword Art missed as I activated it too early. I also clipped the rock and ended up sitting there exposed as the dark shape came for my throat. There was a slight glow around me as the Safeguard potion kicked in and I got a good look at the face of my enemy. Here was the Giant Bat Hannah warned me off. The enchantment of my armor kicked in and lashed out against it sending it reeling back into the darkness, but I knew it wasn’t dead yet. Clutching my axe I righted myself and Sunetra and I stood side by side waiting for it to circle around and attack again.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111720
  •  Battle: 7 - 1  (MISS!)
  •  MOB: 7 (HIT!)
  • Mortambo: HP 200/200 | EN: 18/20 | DMG: 3 | MIT: 17 | TH 18 | RGN 5 | LD 2 (EN - 2)
    • Thorns: 18 DMG on hit
  • Cave Guardian: HP 2/20 | DMG 5 (No bonus from crits) (-18 HP)
    • Attack: 50 DMG (extra dmg on first hit) (SAFEGUARD) (Required for thorns dmg)

Edited by Mortambo

For a few tense moments, all I heard was the echo of its wings flapping in the darkness. I couldn’t tell which direction it was going to come from, but I felt Sunetra’s warmth surround me as they were ready to protect me and I gripped my axe tightly ready to swing it as soon as I saw movement. The Giant Bat finally swooped down into my meager light and came for a body blow that would shove me off my feet. I danced back a little and swung my axe with all my might, eyes closed just hoping I connected. I heard the shattering as the bat was killed and opened my eyes. Sunetra meowed at me and I grinned, “Well that wasn’t so bad was it” I said in a normal voice that echoed booming through the caverns. “Well great, now I hope it doesn’t get any worse.”

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111722 
    •  Battle: 9  (CRITICAL HIT! +1 DMG)
    •  MOB: 1 (MISS!)
  • Mortambo: HP 200/200 | EN: 17/20 | DMG: 3 | MIT: 17 | TH 18 | RGN 5 | LD 2 (EN - 1)
    • Attack:  3 DMG + 1 DMG = 4 DMG
  • Cave Guardian: HP 0/20 | DMG 5 (No bonus from crits) (-4 HP) (DEAD)

Edited by Mortambo

I waited for a few moments listening very intently for more movement in the darkness my back still against the wall so nothing could attack us from behind. Sunetra and I scanned the darkness repeatedly and just waited. After those few tension filled moments, I relaxed and we began to creep along the wall back towards the entrance tunnel to the cave. I quickly found some more ore lying around and knelt down to put it in my inventory. Sunetra meowed softly at me as I did and I replied “Oh definitely. After this trip the store should be stocked with T1 materials for a long while. We’ve been very lucky especially since this is just a starter quest.” I think that the Gatherer skill is definitely paying off lately. “Anyway, let’s get out of this place and back to where the sun is shining. I don’t like it down here.”

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111723
    •  Craft: 7 (+2 bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 17 + 2 = 19 (SUCCESS! +1 Material Found)
  • T1 Materials Found: 15 + 3 = 18

Edited by Mortambo

As we finished our circle around the large cavern, we ran across even more ore and gems just littering the ground around one of the stalagmites. This place is just a treasure trove of amazing materials. I guess it’s because this huge gem spawns here. Arriving back at the tunnel, I looked back towards where I had found the gem for the quest. I’m ready to be done with this stupid cave already and back in the garden in the Town of Beginnings to give this gem to Hannah. I began creeping slowly back up the tunnel with Sunetra making sure nothing else snuck up on us as we made our way out of the cave system. I kept straining to hear any other sounds over the echoing of my footsteps and the slight crackle of Sunetra’s fire. It seems like we are safe but in this oppressive darkness I couldn’t be sure.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111724
    •  Craft: 10 (+3 bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 18 + 2 = 20 (SUCCESS! +1 Material Found)
  • T1 Materials Found: 18 + 4  = 22

Edited by Mortambo

As we started back down the tunnel headed upwards I felt my anxiety rising again, and I stopped for a moment kneeling down and let Sunetra nuzzle my leg. When the episode didn’t pass I moved to a position of sitting on the ground with my back to the wall and my arms wrapped around my knees. Taking deep breaths I sat there for a while just trying control my rising panic. If anything in this game, I have control over whether or not I was in danger. With Sunetra, and on this starter quest I am fine. It’s just the fear of the unknown overpowering me but I can work through this easily. Taking a final deep breath I collected myself and stood patting Sunetra on the head. “You are too good to me, Sunetra.” She meowed softly as I patted her and I just smiled. I wish she could understand me sometimes.  

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111725
    •  Craft: 3 (no bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 2 + 2 = 4 (FAIL!)
  • T1 Materials Found: 22

Edited by Mortambo

As we started up the tunnel again, I kept an eye out for more materials. This place has given up so much I would be surprised if there was anything left. As we climbed upwards, we found another very rich ore vein and quite a lot of ore laying around. Quickly picking it up, we continued upwards almost without pausing. If I push hard I might be able to get back before sunset. I’m started to feel choked up here stuck in this cavern. I need to get out of here and back to the Town. I began to speed up trying to push out of the cave more quickly, not caring as my echoing footsteps reverberated through the caverns. Who cares any more, let whatever monsters come attack me. I’m done with this place. Sunetra trotted next to me without making a sound still occasionally batting at a rock here and there to see if it had anything valuable.  

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111726
    •  Craft: 9 (+2 bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 13 + 2 = 15 (SUCCESS! +1 material found)
  • T1 Materials Found: 22 + 3 = 25

Edited by Mortambo

As we climbed back up the tunnel towards the cave mouth, both of us kept looking for more ore and gems to pick up, but neither of us found much of anything. As I thought, this place is pretty much tapped out. Even more reason to get out of here and back to the surface. I stopped briefly to watch Sunetra bat around and pounce on one of the rocks melting it almost all the way through when they landed on it. Laughing, I said “Silly cat, you’re too hot, of course you were going to melt right through it.” Sunetra just flipped over on their back and increased their heat to melt a small groove into the floor. “C’mon, let’s get out of here already.” Flipping back onto their feet, Sunetra began following me upwards again. I could see the darkness brightening ever so slightly with every step we climbed towards the surface.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111727
    •  Craft: 5 (no bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 2 + 2 = 4 (FAIL!)
  • T1 Materials Found: 25

Edited by Mortambo

Seeing the light increasing, I pressed further. Yes, finally! I’m almost back to the surface. As I pressed on, Sunetra still was being playful and pouncing on rocks here and there. Grinning at their silliness and joy even in the darkness, I just kept walking upwards pushing towards the light. I did keep an eye out to see if Sunetra found anything valuable as they played with the various rocks and things but I didn’t see anything worthwhile as we climbed.  My echoing footsteps were very loud in the tunnel now very likely reverberating all the way back to the cavern where the gem was. I was still a little anxious about that but my confidence was building as we got closer and closer to the mouth of the cave. I am so ready to be back out in the light of day I thought as I reached the small room that made up the cave mouth.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111728
    •  Craft: 3 (no bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 9 + 2 = 11 (FAIL!)
  • T1 Materials Found: 25

Edited by Mortambo

As I headed for the cave entrance, I stopped realizing my footsteps were echoing differently. I stomped my boots a couple times and then stepped back and stomped again. Is there something behind this wall? I went up to it and knocked and it sounded hollow behind it. I began to feel along the wall for some mechanism to open it. Now this is cool, I’ve never found a hidden chest before in this game. As I meticulously searched the wall eventually I found part of it that moved. There was a small click and the wall retracted to reveal the treasure chest sitting there and waiting. I approached it very cautiously, checking it for traps and anything that could be dangerous. “Does it seem safe, Sunetra? What do you think?” She just meowed and I grinned at her. “Yeah let’s open it and see what is inside! It could be some great treasure.”

Roll for Treasure Chest:

Spoiler
  • ID 111729
    •  Loot: 13 + 2 = 15 (SUCCESS!)
  • Treasure Chest found!

Edited by Mortambo