[F01-SP] <<The Fourth Lesson, Is Actually Free>> Gone Fishin'

I made it to the lake outside the Town of Beginnings pretty quickly to deliver Hannah’s package. I found the old fisherman packing up his wares for the day, but he took the package and thanked me asking if I’d come back in the morning. Returning bright and early, standing before him he chuckled. “Well, if this package you delivered last night is what I think it is time for me to try for the King fish of this lake again.” He opened Hannah’s package and pulled out a brand new fishing pole. “Yep, just as I thought. Well, if you wouldn’t mind I could use another set of hands to help me reel him in. There will be some good rewards in it for you.” “Yeah sure, I haven’t been fishing before though,” I replied. This should be interesting. I’ve seen Miss Neo fish, I wonder if this is where you learn it?

Quest Objectives:

Spoiler
  • -Deliver the Fishing Pole to Pete.
  • -Take his boat out with him to the center of the pond to catch a Sword-Fish. (Can be caught on a CD of 6+)
  • -Defeat the Sword-Fish
  • -Bring the Sword-Fish onto the boat and take it back to the Docks.

Quest Requirements: 

Spoiler
  • -At least one [1] Pages (21 or more posts)
  • -Must have completed 'The Third Lesson, Is Just As Free' beforehand
  • -Must RP traveling to and from Ol' Pete's .
  • -Must RP Taking the boat out and fishing
  • -Defeat The Sword-Fish (appears after Reeling in the Linel)
  • -Maximum Party size of 4.

Quest Rewards:

Spoiler
  • Quest Starter will be rewarded one of the following items
    • 1 Fish with +1 Vitality snack (+2 Energy Regenerated in Combat for one Thread)
    • - 1 Fish with +1 ACC snack (+1 BD for one Thread)
  • 2 Additional Skill Points

Monsters:

Spoiler
  • Sword-Fish: HP 35/35 | DMG 5 (No bonus damage on successful crits)
    • Deals 50 damage on first successful hit

Combat Stats:

Spoiler
  • Mortambo: HP 220/220 | EN: 22/22 | DMG 5 | MIT 17 | ACC 1 | EVA 0 | 12 BLD | 18 THR | 5/3 RGN 

Equipped:

1. Bloody Handwraps (+1 DMG, +2 Bleed)
  2. Greaves of Retaliation (+2 Thorns, +1 Regen)
  3. Ring of Precision (+1 ACC)

USING 1 YUI'S GRACE ON THIS THREAD FOR +1 SP

Edited by Mortambo

“Ol’ Pete, could we get some practice in before we go for the big one? This is my first time fishing?” The old man replied, “Of course, lad. It’s not a problem. I spend my days out here on this lake bringing in fish so any question ya have just ask.” Nodding, I selected one of his older fishing poles and climbed into the boat. As Pete climbed in he started talking about fishing. Apparently I was getting a lecture since it was my first time. “Well, first you’ve got to know what kind of fish you’re looking for so you can get the right bait. You see, the regular fish like this kind,” he said holding up some wriggly little insect. I rowed out a little ways as he was speaking and cast my first line getting some good materials from even my first cast.

Gathering Rolls:

Spoiler
  • ID 111762
    •  Craft: 11 (+3 bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 18 (SUCCESS! +1 material)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 0 + 4 = 4 

Edited by Mortambo

Oh, look at that! You’re a right natural talent at this. You probably don’t need Ol’ Pete to tell you what to do.” I shrugged and said “Actually, I’m sure different kinds of bait would be useful.” Pete nods, “It is good when the young are humble enough to learn from their elders. Even if they are natural talents.” Winking he continued, “After the regular fish, there are the King fish, and well, they tend to like fancier things like this,” and he held up a live beetle in a jar. “These kinds of things are rarer of course and harder to come by.” Leaning forward, conspiratorially, he said in a low whisper, “I’ve also heard rumors that on higher floors there is a real amazing monster of a King fish. Supposed to have defeated nearly everyone who has tried to catch it.” Grinning, I shook my head, “No way! What would catching something like that take?"

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111763
    •  Craft: 11 (+3 bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 17 (SUCCESS! +1 material)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 4 + 4 = 8 

Edited by Mortambo

His eyes glinting, he leaned back putting the beetle jar under his seat in the boat. “Probably something exceedingly rare and hard to get, lad. But it would be the greatest adventure you could have on the water. Think of it, lad,” he continued, casting his line out and grinning, “catching the Big One. Becoming the most legendary fisherman in existence.” I grinned along with him. “It would be amazing.” I said casting my line again. “So this is what you do all day? Just fish in the lake and enjoy the sun? That sounds like a good life.” “Ah, yes, well that and taking my fish up to Town to sell. It is a pretty good life, but, no offense lad, not enough for an adventurer like you. My greatest excitement is when someone comes along to help me catch the King fish. I know your type needs more than that.” We both reeled in our lines but I got nothing for my efforts.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111764
    •  Craft: 8 (no bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 3 (FAIL! no material)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 8 

Edited by Mortambo

Casting out my line again, I also closed my eyes and just enjoyed the heat of the sun on my face and the wonderful breeze for a moment. Sighing, I opened my eyes again and said “Yeah, you are probably right. I wouldn’t have come here if I just wanted to learn how to fish. It’s nice to know I can take a break and relax with it from time to time though.” “Of course, lad. It’s a great skill to have, and you’re welcome out on the lake with me any time you want to come.” I nodded and the two of us reeled in our lines finding a few more materials. “I think I’m ready to try and get the King fish now.” Pete nodded, and I started rowing us towards the center of the lake. “I won’t be easy to catch him, lad, but I think together we can do it.”

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111765
    •  Craft: 4 (+1 bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 17 (SUCCESS! +1 material)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 8 + 2 = 10

Edited by Mortambo

As we reached the center of the Lake, I saw Ol’ Pete look around a little nervously. “This thing is a real monster, lad. He’s not going to give himself up that easily.” “That’s why I’m here, right? I’m sure I can handle this thing, don’t worry about it, Pete.” Ol’ Pete put on a special piece of bait and paused before he cast it out into the water. “Be ready, and when I say switch you finish reeling him in all right?” I stood up in the boat and took a ready stance nodding to him. Pete also carefully stood, and cast the line into the water. We waited at the ready for a few tense moments and nothing happened. The calm, peaceful water felt almost mocking us for how ready and tense we were. Suddenly there was a gentle tug on the line. Pete watched his face puckered in concentration.  

Then there was a second long pull on the line. “Got ‘im,” Pete exclaimed and started reeling him in. After a little while the reel caught and Pete strained against the line. “SWITCH!” he called out, and I jumped up and gave myself to the System to let us trade places. Now it was me pulling and straining against the line trying to get this monstrous fish up and out of the water. We went back and forth in this battle of wills, with the King fish almost yanking me from my footing in the boat to him just starting to crest out into the open air above the lake. “You’ve almost got ‘im, lad. Fling him up into the air and finish him off!” With a final heave, I attempted to do what Pete was describing and using the little leverage I had flung the fish up into the air. “Now attack before he gets back into the water!”

I passed the pole quickly to Pete and leaped into the air towards the giant Sword-Fish. Activating one of my Sword Arts I lashed out with a kick, and spun trying to also hit him with my other leg. Both kicks hit the fish rather ineffectually and didn’t really connect with any power. In return, the fish swiveled in the air and used the blade on its nose and slashed me hard across the chest. I twisted in mid-air and the spikes on my greaves tore into it some causing its health to drop about halfway before I started dropping back towards the lake.  My health dropped slowly from the strike, and as I fell I tried to aim for the boat. Landing squarely, the entire boat rocked back and forth hard almost capsizing, with Pete and I both struggling to keep it from flipping. I have maybe one more attack before I’ll have to wrestle with it again and get it to resurface. This time I have to make my strike count!

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111766
    • Battle: 3 + 1 = 4 (MISS!)
    • Craft: 4 (No Recovery)
    • MOB: 10 (CRITICAL HIT! +2 DMG)
  • Mortambo: HP 185/220 | EN: 22/22 | DMG 5 | MIT 17 | ACC 1 | EVA 0 | 12 BLD | 18 THR | 5/3 RGN (-35 HP) (-3 EN)
    • No recovery
    • Regen: +5 HP (0/3 rounds) (start next round)
    • 18 Thorns DMG 
  • Sword-Fish: HP 17/35 | DMG 5 (No bonus damage on successful crits) (-18 HP)
    • Deals 50 damage on first successful hit (DONE!)
    • Attack: 52 DMG - 17 MIT = 35 DMG

Edited by Mortambo

Leaping into the air again for another strike, I tried to same Sword Art, but again my punches and kicks seemed to do nothing against the Sword-Fish. It’s like that STUPID BOULDER all over again! It managed, somehow, to spin and slash me again. This time, as it struck me, I grabbed it with one hand and used the blade as a springboard to flip onto its back. I slid down it and the spikes in my greaves tore into it, slowing me down and letting me hold on. I saw its health bar dropping quickly from the damage done to it and had a moment to think Oh, no right before it hit zero health and disappeared in a shower of blue sparks. I plummeted the rest of the way into the water as the menu to loot the Sword-Fish popped up. Hitting accept, as I fell, I straightened myself for the dive into the water.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111767
    • Battle: 4 + 1 = 5 (MISS!)
    • Craft: 1 (No Recovery)
    • MOB: 9 (CRITICAL HIT! +1 DMG)
  • Mortambo: HP 189/220 | EN: 16/22 | DMG 5 | MIT 17 | ACC 1 | EVA 0 | 12 BLD | 18 THR | 5/3 RGN (-1 HP) (-3 EN)
    • No recovery
    • Regen: +5 HP (1/3 rounds) (start next round)
    • 18 Thorns DMG 
  • Sword-Fish: HP 0/35 | DMG 5 (No bonus damage on successful crits) (-18 HP) (DEAD)
    • Deals 50 damage on first successful hit (DONE!)
    • Attack: 6 DMG - 17 MIT = 1 DMG (Killed by Thorns)

Edited by Mortambo

Right before I hit the water, I took a deep breath and with hardly a splash dove deeply. Opening my eyes I spun up right and was struck by the beauty of the lake underwater. Fish scattered away from me, and deep down I saw there was a cave and other interesting underwater features. Quickly making my way back to the surface, I broke it and looked around for the boat. I swam towards it and Pete helped me back into the boat. “Well in all my years, I’ve seen many adventurers fight the King fish in this lake, but I’ve never seen someone try to punch them.” Pete laughed uproariously. “You’ve got some courage and more than enough crazy, lad.” I laughed with him, “I guess so, but falling into the lake wasn’t exactly a part of the plan. Let’s do some more fishing though, yeah? I can always use the raw materials.”

“Not quite ready to get back to the grind of the adventuring life, eh, lad?” “No, not quite. Even with catching the King fish of the lake, this has still been a very nice relaxing day. I have had a lot of fun out here on the lake just learning about fishing techniques.” Pete just chuckled, “You mean listening to me ramble on hasn’t gotten you bored out of your mind already? You are a stalwart one.” We both cast our lines again and waited patiently for something to bite. Sunetra finally poked out of my hood and Pete was taken aback for a moment. “Oh! You have a little creature with you. Why didn’t you say so, lad?” “Well they are kind of made of fire, and I thought that wouldn’t mix well with the boat and the water, so I thought they’d be better off just staying in the hood.” At that moment I got a bite and pulled in the fish, collecting some more materials.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111768
    •  Craft: 12 (+3 bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 20 (SUCCESS! +1 material)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 10 + 4 = 14

Edited by Mortambo

Sunetra stood up out of the hood and put their front two paws on my shoulder leaning out towards Ol’ Pete. He was leaning in towards them and the two of them were almost nose to nose. “That was probably the right call, lad. I can feel the heat coming off of them, but I wouldn’t want them burning down the boat, or falling in the water.” “That was my feeling, Pete.” I said casting out my line as Sunetra laid back down inside my hood. “They stay in there pretty much all day, until we head back home. It’s just safer for them since I lined the hood with fireproof cloth.” Pete thought for a moment and nodded, “You’re quite sharp, lad. I don’t think most people would think of doing something like that.” We both got nibbles on our lines at the same time and reeled them in collecting our catch before casting them out again.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111769
    •  Craft: 4 (+1 bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 16 (SUCCESS! +1 material)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 14 + 2 = 16

Edited by Mortambo

“So where exactly did you find them?” I laughed a little, “Oh? Now you want me to bore you with stories?” Pete just chuckled, “It’s just something to pass the time, my boy.” Shrugging, I started my story, “I went searching for them up on the ninth floor, which Is just filled with lava and rock golems, and fire elementals. I’m not sure what kind of creature they are, but obviously some kind of fire spirit. We’ve kind of learned to take care of each other.” I reached up and petted Sunetra briefly. “It’s worked out well for both of us.” Getting another nibble on my line I reeled it in for some more materials. Sunetra meowed from my hood. “Is that so, little one?” Pete chuckled, “I’m glad you guys take care of each other. I’d hate to see another adventurer struggling and alone.” “Well don’t most of them find guilds?”

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111770
    •  Craft: 8 (+2 bonus materials)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 16 + 3 = 19

Edited by Mortambo

Casting my line out again, I waited for Pete to answer. “Actually, most of the ones that come and see me are still lone wolves. I suspect they don’t look for guilds until they’ve gotten to higher levels for more protection. Which is foolish, lad. Join up with a guild who has people you can trust tomorrow if you can. Don’t wait until it’s more convenient or you actually need the protection. Do it now so you already have those bonds of trust with people when you have to depend on them.” I nodded briefly. Wow for the final tutorial quest it sure is laying it on thick. He does have a point though. I mean I just joined a guild so I could start forming bonds earlier. I’d hate to think the first time I was trusting someone with my life was on the front lines. Pulling my line back in I had a small fish on the end adding to my stock of materials.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111771
    •  Craft: 6 (+2 bonus materials)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 19 + 3 = 22

Edited by Mortambo

Casting the line again, I replied, “Well I just recently joined a guild. It is kind of small but I feel I can trust the guild master. And if I can trust her with my life, I also trust her judgment in who else is in the guild, so I feel like I’m in a good place.” Pete just smiled, “I knew you were one of the smart ones, lad. Knowing that relaxation is very important when you live as high stress a life as adventuring, and now already joining a guild before you even completed my quest. You’re going to go far, my friend.” I looked out across the lake kind of embarrassed even though he is just an NPC. Sunetra sensing something was amiss stuck her head out and put it on my shoulder meowing. I reeled my line in, this time getting nothing at all for my efforts.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111772
    •  Craft: 2 (no bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 4 (FAIL! no material)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 22

Edited by Mortambo

“The fish are getting a bit slim out here in the middle, let’s row back towards shore a bit,” Pete suggested. I nodded and started rowing, “Yeah, I knew I would need a guild eventually. Hopefully soon I’ll be ready to help in a dungeon crawl or something like that. So far I’ve just been doing things by myself, even since I joined the guild.” Pete nodded, “I think that’s just the adventurer’s life. Everyone is driven by their own motivations and well, you aren’t always going to be able to rely on people. But it’s nice to have people to watch your back when you do need them.” I nodded, and stopped rowing, letting the boat come to a stop again. I found the gentle rocking of the waves rather calming. Casting our lines out again, a cool breeze washed over us. Yeah this is the life, I thought as I almost immediately got a bite on my line. Reeling it in I smiled to myself. Of course, Pete was right about it getting slim where we were.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111773
    •  Craft: 7 (+2 bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 19 (SUCCESS! +1 material)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 22 + 3 = 25

Edited by Mortambo

Casting my line out again, Pete and I sat in silence for the moment. The breeze ruffled through my hair and the sun warmed my face. I could get used to this. I really should pick up the Fishing skill and then I could have days like this all the time. Shifting slightly, I felt Sunetra’s warmth at my neck and smiled. But maybe I’ll have to find a way to have them with me. How could I have a fire creature on a boat with me without them setting the boat on fire? This could take some serious thought. “What’s on your mind, lad? You’ve gotten awfully quiet,” Pete finally piped up. “I was just thinking about how to make a boat that was safe for my familiar to be on so they don’t have to stay cooped up in my hood next time I want to fish.“Well, that is quite a problem, lad.”

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111774
    •  Craft: 3 (no bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 4 ( FAIL! no material)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 25

Edited by Mortambo

“I’m honestly not sure at all how you could do it,” Pete continued. “I know, it would be quite the feat. Maybe once I decide to fish more, I’ll just stick to doing it from land.” Pete shrugged, “You get better fish out here in the lake but you never know.” Suddenly I had a big bite from my line and pulled up another large fish. “I’ve definitely been lucky to get so many I think.” Pete chuckled, “I wasn’t lying when I said you have a natural talent for this work, lad. You really should think about taking it up as a profession.” I shook my head, “Like you said before I’m stuck with adventuring. I need to help the front lines push forward.” “I can’t say as I understand that call, but I’ve seen enough of you to know it,” Pete replied sighing deeply. “Well again, anytime you want to fish, just come back and find me, lad.”

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111775
    •  Craft: 10 (+3 materials)
    •  Loot: 18 (SUCCESS! +1 material)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 25 + 4 = 29

Edited by Mortambo

“I thank you for the offer, and I will definitely be back.” I smiled and cast my line out again. The sun was beginning to set over the lake and Pete said, “After this cast, we should probably be heading back in. I’d like to make it back to the Town before dark.” I nodded, and waited patiently for a few minutes to get a bite before pulling back in my line empty. Pete also reeled in his last fish of the day and I started rowing back towards shore. It has been a good day. Another peaceful day in my existence here in this death game. I looked out over the lake and thought back to my brief fight with the Sword-Fish even that was enjoyable. As the boat bumped into the dock I leaped out and tied the boat down so it wouldn’t float away. Helping Ol’ Pete out of the boat, I walked him to the end of the dock.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111776
    •  Craft: 2 (no bonus materials)
    •  Loot: 14 (FAIL! no material)
  • Total T1 Materials Gathered: 29

Edited by Mortambo

As we reached the end of the dock, I asked "Do you need me to walk you to the Town?" "Oh, no my friend. No no. I'll be fine walking by myself. Our business is done." I got the quest complete and picked my loot. "Just don't forget what we talked about, eh?" I nodded as Sunetra peeked out of my hood. "And you, little one, take care of your master." They just meowed at him in response. Chuckling, Ol' Pete started putting away the poles and cleaning up and I started down the path leading back to the Town of Beginnings. On my way back, I had no problems from any of the wolves and boars that blocked my path. As I took the teleporter back to Floor 9 to head home, I couldn’t help but have a grin plastered on my face. Today was such a good day.

Roll to find Treasure Chest:

Spoiler
  • ID 111777
    • Loot: 3
  • Results: Failed to find treasure chest

Thread Summary:

Spoiler
  • Standard Rewards:
    • 1 + 1 (Yui's Grace) = 2 SP
    • 400 Col
  • Quest Rewards:
    • 2 SP
    • Quest Starter will be rewarded one of the following items
      • 1 Fish with +1 Vitality snack (+2 Energy Regenerated in Combat for one Thread)
      • 1 Fish with +1 ACC snack (+1 BD for one Thread)
  • Totals:
    • 4 SP
    • 400 Col
    • 1 T1 Uncommon Cooked Fish Snack (+1 Vitality)

Edited by Mortambo