[F02-SP] <<The Venomous Warg>> Hunting the Pack

Seeing the post on the notice board, I grabbed it and went to meet the merchant Gatsly in the tavern. He gave me the spiel about how dangerous the Warg was and passed over an antidote for the poison. I’m sure that will come in handy but how deadly can this thing really be. I mean it has its whole pack with it, but I’ve pretty much out-leveled this floor so I should be fine. Sunetra and I walked out of the tavern and headed out of Urbus towards the point on the map Gatsly had given us. This will be a walk in the park. No problem. Just a few wolves and I’ve fought plenty of those before. I checked my gear to be sure I had everything I needed as I walked. Seeing I was fine on potions and my armor was repaired and ready to go I just smiled. This pack won’t know what hit them.

Quest Objectives: 

Spoiler
  • Defeat 3 <<Wolves>>
  • Defeat <<Venom Snapper>>
  • Return to Gatsly the merchant to receive reward.

Quest Rewards:

Spoiler
  • <<Venom Snapper>> last-hit item drop
  • Each player receives:
    • 1 Additional SP
    • 500 Col
    • (4) T1 Crafting Materials

Monsters:

Spoiler
  • Wolf: HP 40/40 | 25 DMG
  • Venomous Warg: HP 150/150 | DMG 35 | CRIT DMG 50 | EVA 1
    • Venomous Bite: Natural MD of 9-10 poisons the target, dealing 10 unmitigatable damage at the start of their turn for 3 turns.
    • Feral Strike: Every time a <<Wolf>> is slain, <<Venom Snapper>>’s next attack becomes AoE. This ability can stack (if 2 wolves die at the same time, <<Venom Snapper>>’s next 2 attacks become AoE). “Venomous Bite” can still trigger on AoE attacks.
    • Player who deals the killing blow receives (1) <<Venom Vial>>

Venom Vial:

Spoiler

Item Type: Potion
Tier: 1
Quality: Uncommon
Enhancements: On a natural BD roll of 9-10, deals 10 unmitigatable DMG for 4 turns. Lasts one thread.
Description: A vial of toxic venom retrieved from the drippings of a <<Venom Snapper>>'s teeth. Takes a post action to apply to a weapon.

Combat Stats:

Spoiler
  • Mortambo (Level 13): HP 260/260 | EN 26/26 | DMG 7 | MIT 17 | ACC 2 | EVA 0 | 12/2 BLD (on CRIT) | 18 THR | 5/3 RGN | 1 REC (CD 6+)

Equipped:

• Handwraps of the Sands (+2 DMG, +1 Bleed)
  • Greaves of Retaliation (+2 Thorns, +1 RGN)
  • Sharpshooter (+2 ACC, +1 Recovery)

Battle Ready Inventory:

1. 5 Tier 1 Uncommon Health Potions (+40 HP)
  2. 1 Antidote
  3. [Empty]
  4. [Empty]
  5. [Empty]

Given an <<Antidote>>

Antidote:

Spoiler

Item Type: Potion

Tier: 1
Quality: Uncommon
Enhancements: Reduces the duration of a single Poison, Bleed, or Paralysis effect by one turn. If used out of combat, reduces the duration of the next Poison, Bleed, or Paralysis effect that would affect you by one turn.
Description: An alchemic concoction of herbs designed to reduce the duration of damaging or impairing status effects.

USING A YUI'S GRACE FOR +1 SP

Edited by Mortambo

Walking through the woods, I let Sunetra out to ride on my shoulder and help me keep a lookout. There wasn’t much to challenge me any more on this floor, but I was ready to face this pack of wolves whose leader had this weird mutation. I kept my eye out for crafting materials because I could always use more for my shop. The sunlight filtered down through the trees and warmed the air around me. The leaves crunched under my boots and I realized that the wolves would know I was coming from a million miles away. That’s fine I guess I have nothing to fear. I’ve faced worse after that crazy monster in the arena with Miss Neo. Any kind of wolves should just be a walk in the park after that. As we walked I didn’t see anything useful for crafting and so just enjoyed my walk through the woods.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111782
    • Craft: 7 (no bonus found)
    • Loot: 7 (FAIL! no materials found)
  • Total T1 Materials Found: 0 

Edited by Mortambo

Quickly approaching the quest marker, I began to slow down and try and approach quietly. As I got near it, I realized it was pointing me right at a clearing. Getting closer, I could see the twisted and mutated wolf I was after and I was ready for it. I thought about trying to attack from stealth, but that was not my strong suit. Striding forward, I made sure my hand-wraps were properly wrapped and just stood. The Venomous Warg spun around quickly and growled at me. The rest of his pack came fading out from the woods also growling. I felt a warmth infused me and the wolves blurred ever so slightly as Sunetra prepared for battle. I grinned and charged forward activating my Sword Art and sweeping my leg in a roundhouse kick to all four of the wolves. The power of my kick knocked three of them back and only one was able to try and only one was able to get a bite in as I kicked them.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111791
    • Battle: 3 + 2 = 5 (MISS!)
    • Craft: 7 (Recovery Success!)
    • MOB: 2 (MISS!)
  • ID 111792
    • Battle: 8 + 2 = 10 (HIT!)
    • MOB: 6 (HIT!)
  • ID 111793
    • Battle: 5 + 2 = 7 (HIT!)
    • MOB: 1 (MISS!)
  • ID 111794
    • Battle: 8 + 2 -1 = 9 (HIT!)
    • MOB: 3 (MISS!)
  • Mortambo : HP 252/260 | EN 16/26 | DMG 7 | MIT 17 | ACC 2 | EVA 0 | 12/2 BLD (on CRIT) | 18 THR | 5/3 RGN | 1 REC (CD 6+) | (-8 HP)(-10 EN)
    • Crescent Moon: 7 DMG x 3 = 21 DMG (Wolf 2, Wolf 3, Warg)
    • 12 Bleed Damage for two turns (on a 9-10)
    • 18 Thorns
    • +5 HP for three turns (0/3) (starts next turn)
    • +1 EN recovery on CD 6+ (SUCCESS!)
  • Wolf #1: HP 40/40 | 25 DMG
  • Wolf #2: HP 1/40 | 25 DMG (-39 HP)
    • Attack: 25 DMG - 17 MIT = 8 DMG
    • Activated Thorns
  • Wolf #3: HP 19/40 | 25 DMG (-21 HP)
  • Venomous Warg: HP 129/150 | DMG 35 | CRIT DMG 50 | EVA 1 (-21 HP)
    • Venomous Bite: Natural MD of 9-10 poisons the target, dealing 10 unmitigatable damage at the start of their turn for 3 turns.
    • Feral Strike: Every time a <<Wolf>> is slain, <<Venom Snapper>>’s next attack becomes AoE. This ability can stack (if 2 wolves die at the same time, <<Venom Snapper>>’s next 2 attacks become AoE). “Venomous Bite” can still trigger on AoE attacks.

Edited by Mortambo

The wolves quickly surrounded me but I still had a grin on my face with no fear or anxiety at all. I see why Dustin takes such joy in fighting and battle. Two of the wolves lunged at me getting good bites in but getting punished by the thorns enchantments on my armor and whimpering. I stared down the Venomous Warg and I could see it was more intelligent than the others. It stared at me anger in its eyes as I performed my sweeping kick again and two of its pack mates went down. It lunged at me and took a huge bite out of my shoulder and pushing it off I felt the venom burning through my veins. Shaking it off, I pushed the Warg away from me so it couldn’t take another swipe and circled around it, my targets down to only two wolves. Sunetra’s warmth helped burn the last of the venom off and I just shook my head to clear it and be ready to strike again.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111795
    • Battle: 1 + 2 = 3 (MISS!)
    • Craft: 4 (no recovery)
    • MOB: 6 (HIT!)
  • ID 111796
    • MOB: 4 (MISS!)
  • ID 111797
    • MOB: 9 (CRIT! +1 DMG)
  • ID 111799
    • Battle: 4 + 2 -1  = 5 (MISS!)
    • MOB: 6 (HIT!)
  • Mortambo : HP 231/260 | EN 8/26 | DMG 7 | MIT 17 | ACC 2 | EVA 0 | 12/2 BLD (on CRIT) | 18 THR | 5/3 RGN | 1 REC (CD 6+) | (-26 HP)(-10 EN)
    • Crescent Moon: 7 DMG x 3 = 21 DMG (Wolf 2, Wolf 3)
    • 18 Thorns
    • +5 HP for three turns (1/3) (starts next turn)
    • +1 EN recovery on CD 6+ (FAIL!)
  • Wolf #1: HP 22/40 | 25 DMG (-18 HP) 
    • Activated Thorns
  • Wolf #2: HP 0/40 | 25 DMG (-21 HP) (DEAD)
  • Wolf #3: HP 0/40 | 25 DMG (-21 HP) (DEAD)
    • Attack: 26 DMG - 17 MIT = 8 DMG
  • Venomous Warg: HP 111/150 | DMG 35 | CRIT DMG 50 | EVA 1 (-18 HP)
    • Attack: 35 DMG - 17 MIT = 18 DMG
    • Activated Thorns
    • Venomous Bite: Natural MD of 9-10 poisons the target, dealing 10 unmitigatable damage at the start of their turn for 3 turns.
    • Feral Strike: Every time a <<Wolf>> is slain, <<Venom Snapper>>’s next attack becomes AoE. This ability can stack (if 2 wolves die at the same time, <<Venom Snapper>>’s next 2 attacks become AoE). “Venomous Bite” can still trigger on AoE attacks.
    • Player who deals the killing blow receives (1) <<Venom Vial>>

Edited by Mortambo

As the two wolves and I circled, suddenly the regular wolf lunged at me, and I easily dodged to the side. The Warg seeing an opportunity also leaped for me, but I was too fast. Quickly activating my Sword Art <<Delayed Sword>> I kicked him down to the ground and delivered a punching chop to the throat. The Warg whimpered as I jumped back ready for another attack. This isn’t going badly at all. I mean I’ve lost a little health but two down with hardly any problems. I like fighting with my hands much better than fighting with the battle axe. It just seems more effective and well…more fun! I returned to a fighting stance just as the two wolves recovered from their failed attacks. The Warg was looking pretty worse for wear and was very warily watching me for what I would do next. His pack mate had no such caution and charged me almost immediately.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111800
    • Battle: 8 + 2 -1 = 9 (HIT!)
    • Craft: 10 (recovery)
    • MOB: 3 (MISS!)
  • ID 111801
    • MOB: 2 (MISS!)
  • Mortambo : HP 236/260 | EN 5/26 | DMG 7 | MIT 17 | ACC 2 | EVA 0 | 12/2 BLD (on CRIT) | 18 THR | 5/3 RGN | 1 REC (CD 6+) (-4 EN)
    • Delayed Sword: 7 DMG x 4 = 28 DMG ( Warg)
    • 18 Thorns
    • +5 HP for three turns (1/3) (starts next turn)
  • Wolf #1: HP 22/40 | 25 DMG
  • Venomous Warg: HP 83/150 | DMG 35 | CRIT DMG 50 | EVA 1 (-28 HP)

Edited by Mortambo

The wolf got a good bite at my leg but the spikes on my greaves tore into him as I ripped it out of his grasp. I leaped over the wolf and landed in front of the Warg, and it watched me warily as its pack mate whimpered from the backlash of its attack. Grinning I activated <<Delayed Sword>> again and the Warg lunged in the same moment. It also got a bite on my leg as I back flipped kicking it up into the air and sending it flying to the ground. Just after the height of my flip, I hung in midair for a moment and then kicked off as if it was solid and came flying at the Warg, my hand axe chopping him in the throat as I landed on his body. Rolling off and bouncing to my feet, I noticed he was started to bleed a lot more thanks to my blows and I looked around for where the other wolf had gotten off to.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111802
    • Battle: 9 + 2 -1 = 10 (CRITCAL! + 1 DMG)
    • Craft: 3 (no recovery)
    • MOB: 7 (HIT!)
  • ID 111803
    • MOB: 8 (HIT!)
  • Mortambo : HP 215/260 | EN 3/26 | DMG 7 | MIT 17 | ACC 2 | EVA 0 | 12/2 BLD (on CRIT) | 18 THR | 5/3 RGN | 1 REC (CD 6+) (-26 HP) (-4 EN)
    • Delayed Sword: 7 DMG + 1 DMG x 4 = 32 DMG ( Warg)
    • 18 Thorns
    • +5 HP for three turns (1/3) 
  • Wolf #1: HP 4/40 | 25 DMG (-18 HP)
    • Activated Thorns
  • Venomous Warg: HP 21/150 | DMG 35 | CRIT DMG 50 | EVA 1 (-62 HP)
    • Activated Thorns
    • 12 Bleed DMG (1/2)

Edited by Mortambo

The last member of the pack lunged at me from nowhere and I almost instinctively reared back putting my entire body into the blow. Thinking back to the Boulder I punched this wolf like I was trying to punch through two feet of solid rock. It let out a yelp and flew about ten feet across the clearing falling limp. From behind me I heard a loud growl, and I turned back to the pack leader whose wicked yellow eyes were twisted in rage at the death of its pack. It could barely stay on its feet due to the blood loss and wounds it had suffered but it finally gathered itself enough to lunge at me. I blocked easily with my forearms and even though it still bit me the thorns enchantment on my armor ripped into it the backlash tearing through it. I watched as I saw this wicked mutated creature let out its final breath.

Combat Results:

Spoiler
  • ID 111804
    • Battle: 4 + 2 = 6 (HIT!)
    • Craft: 7  (recovery)
    • MOB: 1 (MISS!)
  • ID 111801
    • MOB: 8 (HIT!)
  • Mortambo : HP 202/260 | EN 4/26 | DMG 7 | MIT 17 | ACC 2 | EVA 0 | 12/2 BLD (on CRIT) | 18 THR | 5/3 RGN | 1 REC (CD 6+) (-18 HP) (-1 EN)
    • Attack: 7 DMG ( Wolf 1)
    • 18 Thorns
    • +5 HP for three turns (1/3) 
  • Wolf #1: HP 0/40 | 25 DMG (-7 HP) (DEAD)
  • Venomous Warg: HP 0/150 | DMG 35 | CRIT DMG 50 | EVA 1 (-30 HP) (DEAD)
    • Activated Thorns
    • 12 Bleed DMG (2/2)

Edited by Mortambo

After it fell, I walked back to the center of the clearing and took a deep breath. Suddenly the pack turned blue and shattered into shards and I received the <<Venom Vial>> from the Warg. I guess all that’s left is heading back to Gatsly now and turning this quest in. I might as well search the forest for some good materials while I go. Sunetra meowed from my shoulder and I said “Yeah, it went quite well didn’t it. To think that most people bring a group on this quest. We were fine though right?” They nuzzled my hand in response and I grinned heading out of the clearing and back towards Urbus. Looking around briefly as we headed out of the clearing but I didn’t see any good materials. Taking a deep breath again, I took in the scent of the forest and meandered further down the path.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111806
    • Craft: 10 (no bonus materials)
    • Loot: 1 (no material found)

Edited by Mortambo

Walking back through the forest, I whistled to myself as I went. I should really fight more. Fighting with Martial Arts is…well…more fun than the battle axe. There’s something about feeling the impact of your fist hitting something that is just so much more visceral. Sunetra seeing we were out of immediate danger slipped back into my hood and I felt them curl up to take a nap. I guess we could head home immediately but I feel like that would be a waste of this fine day. Looking around for more materials I didn’t immediately see anything so I kept walking about whistling to myself enjoying the cool breeze and the scent of the trees and forest around me. I continued through the forest unburdened of any worries. It is rather nice not being anxious. Why didn’t I move down here instead of living on the floor of fire and brimstone?

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111826
    • Craft: 12 (no bonus materials)
    • Loot: 8 (no material found)

Edited by Mortambo

I think I was choosing function over comfort. Floor 9 forces me to be careful all the time, and it is where Sunetra is from. Shrugging to myself as I walked I continued my train of thought. It’s not that it’s bad, but there’s definitely not a peaceful moment there. Not the way there is down here. I kept an eye out for more materials but still came up empty. As I finished scanning the immediate area I sighed. I guess if I want to find more materials I’m going to have to go back to the Garden on Floor 1. This place doesn’t seem to be very bountiful at all. Still whistling to myself I headed back down the path and thought about some of the other adventures I had been a part of. I still haven’t met any of the other members of my guild now that I think about it!

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111826
    • Craft: 12  (no bonus materials)
    • Loot: 7 (no material found)

Edited by Mortambo

I hope we do a quest or dungeon or something together as a guild soon. That will be great to meet everyone. Wracking my brain, I remembered Miss Neo mentioning they had just brought someone else into the group, but not mentioning any names of anyone who is in the guild. Shrugging, I continued looking around for more materials not really needing them for my shop at the moment. Being prepared for the future can never hurt though, right? Still not finding much of anything I reached back and petted Sunetra on the head. “Well this place doesn’t seem to have much in the way of easily farmed materials. This is kind of a waste.” They meowed at me as I stopped to kick a rock and watch it tumble down the trail in front of me. “Such a waste, maybe we should just head back to Urbus and  Gatsly.”

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111833
    • Craft: 5  (no bonus materials)
    • Loot: 11 (no material found)

Edited by Mortambo

I stopped for a moment at the edge of the trail as it bent back along itself. Looking out along the forest, I stopped and turned my face up to enjoy the sun and the breeze. As I looked across the forest I could see small birds light from tree top to tree top and squirrels moving about as they collected food and returned it back to their homes. In the distance I could see a river in the distance and the sun reflecting off of the water. “Maybe if we head towards the river? Perhaps there will be better materials and things over there? I certainly hope so, Sunetra.” Making my way down the switch back I decided to generally head towards the river and as I reached the bottom of it, I began walking in that direction hoping to have better luck as we got near to it.

Edited by Mortambo

My path towards the river took me off of the regular trail so now I was making my way through thick brush and my coat was getting caught on thorns and on branches and bushes as I went. I struggled through them, small rips and tears in my armor and on my exposed skin as I did so. “Maybe this wasn’t the best idea.” I heard Sunetra meow and felt her protective aura shimmer around me and the branches and thorns scratching me slowly burned away. “Well that’s helpful, thanks.” They meowed again and I laughed. Pushing further along, I still didn’t see any decent materials for crafting but pushing through the heavy brush I eventually made it closer to the river. I need to work on my wilderness survival skills too. I’m not the best once I leave the trails behind. I’m glad Sunetra was here to help with the worst of it.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111834
    • Craft: 8 (no bonus materials)
    • Loot: 13 (no material found)

Edited by Mortambo

As I reached the river’s edge, I looked out across the rushing water and to the other bank. I remember crossing a small bridge on the way here, I bet if I follow the river back I’ll find the trail. Hopefully I will have more luck finding materials along the river too. I whistled to myself tunelessly as I walked thinking about the fight with the Warg. The Info Brokers recommend a party even for someone my level but I seemed to have a fine time with it. It’s certainly different fighting with just your fists and no real weapon. I kept an eye out for materials while I was walking so I didn’t get too lost in thought, but did not really find much in the way of useful items. That inanely stupid Boulder quest with Dustin taught me a lot about fighting I didn’t realize at the time.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111835
    • Craft: 8 (no bonus materials)
    • Loot: 4 (no material found)
  •  Total T1 Materials Found: 0

Edited by Mortambo

Some of it was just how much the System helps us. Some of it was kind of obvious now that if I had thought of it. In the real world, more effort means more power behind a hit. Here though, doing just enough effort to have something hit is good enough. You’re going to do the damage the System has determined so more power doesn’t really matter. Not unless you can break the System’s rules. I wonder if anyone has ever broken the rules. Suddenly I tripped over a rock and nearly tumbled into the river. Sunetra meowed from my hood as I stopped myself from completely falling face first into the dirt. “Sorry, little one. I wasn’t paying attention.” Standing up slowly, I brushed the dirt off my pants and looked around for materials. Not finding anything useful still I shook my head. This is turning into a pretty fruitless journey, other than completing the quest.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111836
    • Craft: 6 (no bonus materials)
    • Loot: 11 (no material found)

Edited by Mortambo

I guess I can’t expect every time I walk out of town to get showered in materials though. But it does seem kind of strange how little I’ve found on this journey. This forest is just stripped bare of its normal materials. I wonder if that’s a result of the Warg driving away normal creatures or if that’s just a natural result of so many people coming through here to do the quest. Shrugging, I continued on whistling again as I walked and keeping an eye out for anything useful in this strangely desolate material wasteland. The sky above me was a beautiful blue, the trees a vibrant green, but the less I found in this forest the more I realized how really ransacked and raided it was. This has to be from players. I don’t think the natural way the game allocates resources would cause a complete lack like this.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111838
    • Craft: 5 (no bonus materials)
    • Loot: 13 (no material found)

Edited by Mortambo

As I forged further through the underbrush near the river, I kept slipping in the mud or tripping over rocks. This was not the best idea I’ve had. I should have just stuck to the trails especially since this isn’t turning out to be all that more lucrative. As I slipped again and barely caught myself, I cursed silently and grimaced. I think now making it back to the trail is the best thing I could do. I should be getting close to the bridge any time now. I kept an eye out for more materials as I continued walking but I still didn’t find any useful materials for crafting. Pushing through the underbrush eventually I came back out on the trail and not far off was the bridge across the river. Good, I’m finally back to the trail and on my way back to civilization. Maybe I’ll be more lucky with finding some useful things.

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111839
    • Craft: 6 (no bonus materials)
    • Loot: 9 (no material found)

Edited by Mortambo

Crossing over the bridge I stopped for a moment enjoying the way the sunlight was hitting the water and the cool breeze sweeping through the trees. This place still amazes me. I continued down the trail back towards Urbus a little worse for wear thanks to my wilderness excursion. Whistling tunelessly to myself I was STILL keeping an eye out for any kind of useful materials for crafting. Closer to the town shouldn’t be as bad for materials. I would think less people come up here to search for them. Hopefully I’ll have something to show for all this time spent wandering in the wilderness. After a little while, I even let Sunetra down their paws leaving perfectly burned kitty prints in the sand and dirt behind us. She meowed at me and I said “Well, yeah, we could just rush back but we still might find something great out here.”

Gathering Roll:

Spoiler
  • ID 111840
    • Craft: 10 (no bonus materials)
    • Loot: 3 (no material found)

Edited by Mortambo

At that moment, I tripped and fell face first in the dirt. For a second, I just groaned and lay there, while Sunetra gently pawed at my arm. “Yes, I’m fine. Now what the hell did I trip over?” I began to dig it out and it ended up being four quartz gems that were clear as day and as big as my fist. “Wow that is amazing. I’ll definitely find a use for these.” Adding them to my inventory I filled in the hole where they were as best as I could and stood up. I just wish I didn’t have to trip over them. Oh well, no one around to see it but me! Chuckling to myself and shaking my head, I continued down the trail back to Urbus. It shouldn’t be long now, and then I can turn this quest in and I will be done for the day.

Gathering Rolls:

Spoiler
  • ID 111841
    • Craft: 10 (+3 bonus materials)
    • Loot: 20 (+1 material found)
  •  Total T1 Materials Found: 4

Edited by Mortambo

As I approached the town, I thought I spied something else in the dirt, but after some digging it turned out to be nothing. I made my way back into Urbus and to the tavern where Gatsly was. “Here you are, sir. The Venomous Warg is dead.” I slapped the Warg’s fang on the table as proof. Gatsly paled a little when he looked at it, and then looked me over as I was nearly untouched. “Wasn’t even that hard for you was it?” I shook my head, “No sir, it wasn’t hard at all. If the wolves give you guys any more trouble just let me know.” He nodded and gave me the quest rewards. Today was another good day. Easy quest, nice if not very profitable walk through the woods, and now I get to head home and work on my crafting for the day. Nice and easy day, indeed.

Search for Treasure Chest:

Spoiler
  • ID 111842
    • Loot: 11 (FAIL!)
  • No Treasure Chest Found

Thread Summary:

Spoiler
  • Standard:
    • 1 + 1 (Yui's Grace) = 2 SP
    • 400 Col
  • Quest Rewards:
    • SP