[PP-F15] The Watcher's Lament

The curling fog that crept slowly across the ground of the Fifteenth Floor was somehow thicker than usual. What was usually about ankle-height now reached Pinball's knees, and still one wouldn't be able to see anything underneath the blanket of grey. The large, black trees that completely and utterly blocked out the sun stood sentinel to the spacious forest paths. Aside from the trees, there was no other plant life to be found - and what lurked beneath the fog was both unknown and hidden to the teenager that sat nestled in-between the gnarled, unearthed roots of one such tree. But it was also home for him. Because an eerie, empty, and silent floor like this was the perfect place for a killer to hide. 

Pinball stoked the fire, lazily tossing a branch into the crackling flame that broke the fog and lit up his vicinity. Was a fire a smart thing to light in such a dark place like this? Especially if he was supposed to be hiding - that was the last thing a fugitive wanted to do. 

Although he didn't want to admit it, he felt weirdly uneasy on this floor today - more so than he normally did. He couldn't shake the feeling he was being watched. Every so often he would hear the crack of a branch or the barking of wolves; but that wasn't what had compelled him to start a campfire. What had made him do that was much more ominous than the sounds of a normal forest with an echo. 

No. He wasn't sure whether it was some kind of new ambiance the developers had snuck into the game, or if it was just his imagination, but Pinball could have sworn he was hearing whispers. 

Charlotte blinked as she looked at her in-game map. "Hubba-huh? Where the hell am I?" She closed her menu and looked around the eerie floor warily. Oh my stars, I'm lost. I knew this was a bad idea. God dammit, Charlotte! You had one job to do! She let out a small groan as she walked through the dark and tall trees. She silently cursed at herself as she made her way through the creepy looking forest. One job Charlotte! Not even a hard one! She fiddled with her fingers anxiously as her eyes switched from left and right constantly. She was almost at her breaking point and it took almost all of her will power to not just curl up into a ball can cry.

She was just about to do that until she saw a somewhat bright light that shone through the dark forest. Salvation! Sweet, sweet humanity- As she shuffled quickly towards the light, she did a mental slap at herself stopped, peering through the large trees with a tight frown. Is that one person or two? Oh, it's just one. It better not be a hermit, cause that'd be my life thrown in the trash can. She scanned the shady figure up and down, her eyes landing specifically on his orange-red cursor. Oh, sugar honey iced tea.

@Pinball

For a second it seemed like the woods fell silent, and all was still. 

Making horribly obvious the sound of frantic breathing. 

A hand on the sword at his waist, Pinball's head snapped to the side. He could barely see in the gloom, but he knew something was out there. Something breathing. Something... talking? A person? That could mean a couple of things, and not all of them were very good for him. He drew Tyrfing a few inches out of its scabbard and took a step forward, squinting; trying to make out what that figure was in the distance. He cleared his throat (do you even need to do that in this game?) and spoke.

"Hey," the teenager croaked, "I know something's there. Come out." Regardless of whether or not the thing responded to his call, Pinball took a step forward. He could have sworn he saw a flicker of green in the fog... was it actually a player? 

Or was it just another trick the ominous forest was playing on his mind? 

@Pleue (i am... so sorry ; - ;)

Charlotte let out a small squeak as the stranger snapped his over to her direction. Mudderfudder. She didn't want this. She just wanted a simple trade A trade for Christ's sake! How did she end up in this situation? Why was she even on floor fifteen of all places? The monsters here could practically one shot her and not to mention all of the high leveled players... She lost her train of thought when the player called out. Aggressively? Cautiously? She wasn't even sure anymore. She wanted out, and she wanted out right now. 

She wasn't sure to run, hide, cower into a ball and just hope that he didn't see her. This isn't a normal situation she was prepared for. Her eyes flickered towards the dense and foggy terrain. I'm so going to get lost if I run. And how would I know if he's going to stay put? Maybe he's a nice... red player? Charlotte mentally slapped herself and felt her bottom lip quiver. Swallowing her fear, she stepped out of the cover of trees robotically.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she raised her arms in surrender. "A-About four hundred thousand people are murdered each year... and, uhm. Don't make me on the receiving end of that... please!"

@Pinball (no... you're not ( ; - ; ) 

Edited by Pleue

A young girl stepped out from behind the trees, but Pinball's hand didn't move from his weapon. He frowned, eyebrows furrowed, cold blue eyes looking her up and down. Then at her immediate surroundings. Was this some kind of trap? She raised her hands and surrendered. 

"A-About four hundred thousand people are murdered each year... and, um. Don't make me on the receiving end of that... please!"

If he hadn't been so tired and just generally jaded at this point, Pinball would have laughed. Instead, he sighed, relaxing, and let his sword slide back into its sheath. "I'm not gonna kill you," he grumbled, walking back over to his fire. "But the monsters out there probably will. Careful." And with a dismissive wave as he sat down, Pinball was finished talking. He was finished involving himself with her. With anyone nowadays, really. 

But a part of him felt very guilty for leaving her alone like that. He stared silently into the flames, trying to swallow the tight lump in his throat. 

Charlotte timidly opened one of her eyes as she heard a tired sigh. Watching him unsheathe his weapon, she slowly lowered her hands. Her whole body was stiff as she watched him go back to the flames. "O-okay. Thanks for the tip," she muttered making it sound more like a question than a statement. She tore her eyes away from the stranger and turned her head towards the eerie forest. Does he expect me to get all the way back to the settlement by myself? She asked herself, not sure if she should be scared of what's to come or if to be angry at the boy in front of her. No way in hell was she going in there alone, especially when the forest looked like that. She walked over to the other side of the fire and sat down in front of it. Hugging her knees close to her body, she shook her head. "I-I think I'm good. I-I'll just stays here a bit," she whispered, not budging from her spot. 

@Pinball

Edited by Pleue