[PP-F8] Shadowed Pasts and Unspoken Truths

Vigilon walked through the settlement of Florenthia, and he noticed that dusk was fast approaching. He had been needing to have a serious conversation with Dazia, for certain particular reasons. He may have acted less than rationally back in that emotional moment having to do with the first time when he saw her after learning that she was the cause of Wardege's demise. He also needed to see if the ceasefire between Krysta and Dazia was going to hold, for he would be worried if something happened to Krysta because the enmity sparked up again. He pulled up his messenger, and he knew exactly what to send.

To: @Dazia

Subject: It's time to talk

I recall that we were going to meet up at the tavern, or was it the inn? either way, I'll be between the two buildings when you're ready to speak.

-Vigilon

Once the message was sent, he would head over to the meeting place he had mentioned. It had to be time soon. There was no escaping this conversation. Not for Vigilon, not for Dazia.

It had been some time since Dazia last had an encounter with Vigilon, an acquaintance of hers. He had recently intended to have a serious discussion about several things. What he would speak about, she had no clue. Thankfully, they would be speaking in a Safe Zone, so if anything went wrong, she could deal with the issue with ease. Pretty soon, she received a message. "Seriously? He can't even remember where we were going to speak? The place we were going was a tavern of course! A bar at the lower floor, rooms to stay in at the second floor, it should have been obvious!" She turned to see someone short in a black cloak with a cowl. "How's this?" The cloaked player asked. "Yinangi..." Dazia explained as she shook her head. "This is something serious, not to mention it's none of your business. You're not coming." She left the room to head over to the meeting place, but little did she know, Yinangi still intended to be there... "I see how it is... I'll just be waiting down there, and you won't even notice me, you'll be focused on that talk, and I'll be keeping watch!"

Once Dazia saw Vigilon, she walked up to him, the cowl of her light armor over her head. "You idiot, we're going to chat in the tavern, obviously. I've made sure that few players will be there, for the ones that usually spend the night there are off doing something else, probably with some loved one, so this month of the year actually has its advantages..."

@Vigilon

Dazia came up to Vigilon, calling him an idiot and saying they were going to talk in the tavern. She also mentioned something about few players being there at the most. "Honestly, I kind of expected such a response. However...what about NPC's? They do as they please. If this is supposed to be a 'secret' conversation, a tavern would be one of the worst options to begin with, so look who's talking!" He didn't know how much he could trust her words, so he had earlier asked a minor friend(and informant) of his to let him know if there's anything suspicious. "Don't slip up, Akudo... I paid you the col in advance, so don't let me down..." Once the two players had entered the building, he looked around, then looked to Dazia, who probably would rather be the one to choose where they sat for this conversation. "Well then, where to?" Vigilon then realized he'd forgotten to name the location when he was speaking with Akudo earlier, but he was relieved to hear a familiar voice saying, "Excuse me," right before a player in a cloak walked by. Vigilon did what he could to not pay attention, as to not give the slightest clue that the he and that cloaked player were in cahoots with each other.

@Dazia

Edited by Vigilon

As the players were entering, Yinangi poked her head out from the staircase slightly, and saw them enter. She walked down the stairs slowly and carefully, for she did not want to make any sound. She took a seat at the table opposite of the table that Dazia intended to hold the conversation at, and held the two ends of her cloak together, as to not reveal her light armor that would be a dead giveaway to her identity if she was spotted. She gave her surroundings a quick once-over, taking note of the amount of player cursors in sight. "One, two, three, four, five...heh, including me, there seem to be a total of six players in here..." She quietly muttered to herself. 

Dazia knew that Vigilon probably didn't know of her usual spot in this tavern. "Over here." She said as she gestured for him to follow. It was an unoccupied corner table, her usual seating whenever the tavern wasn't too busy. She looked around her as she walked towards the table. She spotted about three players in cloaks, and there were a bunch of NPCs at the bar, probably drinking away their sorrows of being alone. They should be fine as long as the conversation didn't get too loud. Once she and Vigilon had taken their seats, she was ready. "Alright, let's get straight to the point. What do you have to say to or ask me?"

@Vigilon

Akudo took a look around, noticing three other players...who were all cloaked. "I can't tell who's with who here...three cloaked players, excluding myself...wonder why they're here..." One of the cloaked players kept her eyes over on Vigilon. "Why is he talking to her, and what is this about? I'm a bit curious..." She muttered inaudibly. Dazia asked Vigilon to get straight to the point. "Well all right then. First off, I want to ask a second time, this time, less emotional and reactive, and, let's be honest in this conversation, if you will, but...are you sure it was Wardege's fault that he died at the edge of your blade? I know that there was a hint that he hadn't been himself late in his life, judging by his actions and expressions, but I honestly doubt that he'd go that far." Vigilon hoped that she would answer the question honestly, and that this matter, as well as a few others, could be settled at last.

@Dazia

Yinangi could hardly hear a thing. "Ugh, why did I think I could listen from here? Guess I'll have to get closer without drawing any attention to myself..." She would start slow, and move from one table to the next, but with enough time distance to keep anyone from noticing. The cloaked player who had yet to say or mutter anything wasn't very interested in the ongoing conversation...until the name Wardege was mentioned. His head perked up slightly, and he began to eavesdrop on the conversation. Dazia was surprised that Vigilon would ask this question...because at this point it would be such a stupid question to ask. "Are you seriously still thinking that it was my fault that the fool is dead? No, it was definitely his fault. He started it, and despite that he regretted his reckless decision, he never ended the duel. I was the defending player in the situation, so I didn't think I could end it without ending him. He brought it upon himself."

@Vigilon

Akudo was surprised to hear that the first question had to do with someone's death. Of course, what caught his attention more, was the fact that there were three other eavesdropping cloaked players. He knew none of them, so he had a right to be suspicious...but who to approach first? The female cloaked player noticed that she wasn't the only one listening in to the conversation. Whatever did these players want? Vigilon listened to Dazia's response. "Alright, alright, I get it! It wasn't your fault. ...But that still leaves the reason why he did it in the first place... Oh well, I guess that'll be a mystery for another time. So...You have a question? I think we should ask each other questions until we get to a topic that will last for some time." Vigilon hoped that she would agree, for he had nothing else to ask at the moment. He had something in mind, but he totally forgot it.

@Dazia

Yinangi still didn't hear anything, so she moved on to the next table. The tavern's barkeep noticed that four players had begun eavesdropping on the conversation going on between Vigilon and Dazia. For now, he decided to keep silent about it, in case the two would notice the cloaked eavesdroppers. The last of the cloaked players was interested in the conversation, since Wardege had been mentioned. He knew the truth behind it all, the truth that Vigilon, Dazia, even Krysta, never knew... He smirked under his cowl. He was curious as to where this conversation would lead. Vigilon asked Dazia if she could ask the next question. "...Fine. You don't fully trust me, do you? I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't. After all, a game like this would keep everyone on their toes, watching their backs, not knowing who to trust or fear." This was probably a good question to ask. It could potentially catch anyone who's overly suspicious off guard, so if Vigilon was suspicious about Dazia, then this might get him to admit it, no matter what he said, whether by his words or by his actions.

@Vigilon

Edited by Dazia
  • 2 weeks later...

Akudo noticed that one of the cloaked players was shifting from table to table, and he decided to slow the progress of this one. After all, the conversation didn't seem to be going anywhere that he was looking out for at the moment... He walked up to the player(OOC: Yinangi). "Excuse me, but why are you shifting from table to table like this? You aren't trying to hear the conversation going on there, are you? I doubt it's anything worth hearing..." He whispered to the player. The female cloaked player noticed this, and she wondered if she could potentially keep the other cloaked player from listening in to the conversation any further. She didn't want to go to attention drawing, drastic measures unless emergency, however. Dazia asked Vigilon a question that...honestly, he didn't see coming. It wasn't just straight to the point, it was true...and hard to admit. "I- er- um....ah.... ok, ok, yes, I don't fully trust you. I do somewhat, just not fully, alright? You make a really good point there, though. This game has done plenty of damage to us all already, but It's kind of obvious that we haven't seen the last of it just yet. Sheesh, just who taught you to be that suspicious of others? Life experience? A person you knew back in the real world? This game, maybe?"

@Dazia

Yinangi's attempt to be slow when coming closer to the conversation didn't go as well as it could, for one of the other cloaked players caught her moving to another table. Thankfully, from what she had observed, she had a good comeback at the ready. She smirked under her hood. "Heh, why don't you just speak for yourself, hypocrite? I noticed that you were listening to them, too. What's my friend's business is my business." Seeing that two of the cloaked players were speaking to each other, the cloaked player who had been listening more carefully considered the two distracted, and looked to the last of the cloaked players(other than himself) who was still listening. He wondered what the other three cloaked players were listening for, and why. He only took interest once Wardege's name was involved in the conversation. Where would it lead? Somewhere safe, or dangerous, regarding his position in the matter? Dazia smirked once Vigilon began to make a stuttering, hesitant response. She had caught him off guard. He then asked her exactly what made her to be this suspicious of others, and gave a few possibilities. "More than I can currently say, but from the answers you've given, I'd say you're on the right track. I'll have you know, as you remember, I said that my only goal was to survive, by any means necessary. A misunderstanding like that duel with Wardege isn't going to take my life. I'm currently trying to find the means that will make up most of my decisions for survival, that is, to say, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do, who I need to be."

@Vigilon

• 2 weeks later...

Akudo was surprised at the response he got. This girl was clever. "Ok, you got me... so you say you're looking out for your friend, eh? I'm looking out for a friend of mine, too. Seeing that the conversation over there isn't going anywhere for my attention, we can see what those other two shady players over there are listening for, assuming you're in the same position as I am." He explained, pointing at the two players' cursors. The female cloaked player noticed that one of the other cloaked players seemed to be interested in why she was listening in... oh, dear. She didn't need this, not now. Dazia gave her explanation to Vigilon. "...Whatever do you mean by 'who you need to be'? Isn't the answer to that obvious? Be yourself! Be who you are! After all, if there's one thing my father has always told me, it was this: 'It's not what you are, but who you are, that defines you.' Seriously...lighten up, the answer's right in front of you."

@Dazia

Edited by Vigilon

"Well then either you're a good friend, or your friend isn't very trusting of mine...either way, I don't see a problem with you anymore, so I might as well see what the other two are up to." Yinangi headed over to the male cloaked player. "So...what's got you interested in this conversation, hmm?" He scoffed and said, "None of your business, kid. Scuttle off and find someone else to play with." Yinangi huffed, and gave her reply. "What's my friend's business is my business, too. I ain't gonna skedaddle." "Listen, kid, I'm only listening 'cause I'm trying to see if that conversation would threaten me in any way, since one name was mentioned, I won't say whose. And if you persist to try and interrogate me, you'll only get yourself beat up, or worse." The cloaked player explained, threatening Yinangi with a dagger in his hand pointed to her at that last part. Vigilon claimed that the answer was obvious, and even gave some "Words of wisdom" from his father. "How bold of you to assume just any action from the heart will help one to survive. Honestly, your father's words are just obvious blather to me. I know who I am, and whether or not it will help me survive is still mostly a mystery. As much as I disliked him, I still hold words from my own father, 'Life is a struggle for survival, which can come in various forms, whether it be to work with others towards a common goal, or just survival of the fittest. The best road to choose is one that brings you to the top, that you can also enjoy and take pride in, whatever said road may be.' I'm not going to let anything stop me."

@Vigilon

Edited by Dazia

Akudo saw the girl head over to the male cloaked player to speak with him. ...It didn't seem to go as well as it could have... "Oh, that's low, threatening a girl who only wanted to talk...you aren't scared, are you? I'd say you'd be pretty nervous to be willing to threaten someone who only wants to talk...so tell me, why do you see a problem with talking to a girl that is extreme enough for you to threaten her? Are you running from someone, are you afraid of getting caught about something, or are you just an edgy jerk?" He hoped that him joining into this particular conversation would help keep the girl safe. Sure, this was a safe zone, but there were other problems that could happen that didn't involve stats or damage. The female cloaked player turned her attention to the newer conversation that had started, hoping that the three would stay within it, so that she wouldn't have to worry about them. Vigilon was surprised to hear what Dazia had to say. "...Your father told you that? I mean, sure, survival is a crucial thing, but...man, those are quite the...high extremes. I'm not sure everything was all right with..."

@Dazia

"How bold of you to assume you can intimidate another player within a safe zone..." The cloaked player who wasn't a problem spoke to the one who threatened Yinangi, asking him if he was either fleeing, afraid to be caught, or an edgy jerk. "Hey now, nobody needs to get hurt here, just walk away, and you'll be fine." Yinangi smirked. "I know we can't damage each other in a safe zone...but I'll have you know, I'm way stronger than I look...and I'm speaking about physical strength, since stat capabilities don't matter in safe zones." "I don't have time to fight you two, just leave already!" The barkeep noticed that only one player was now listening to the conversation between Dazia and Vigilon. Of course, she seemed to be wary of the other three cloaked players in the room. "Something wrong? You look a bit nervous there... Look, I know that you were eavesdropping on those two, and so were those three over there. Now, I'm not gonna just sit here and pretend there's not a big a** elephant in the room, so don't avoid it, just tell me, what's on your mind? I don't have to say such information to my other patrons, you know." Dazia listened to Vigilon's reaction to the words of her father. She laughed, and then she replied to said reaction with, "Look, I don't know what kind of soft family you came from, but you clearly don't see that this is not extreme...there are always worse things, always have been, always will be. If you want to keep your precious heart-dictated moral compass, be my guest. It won't stop me from living by necessity. ...You remind me somewhat of someone my father told me about, a man named Xavier. He said this man was my uncle, but he was also soft. Unlike you, though, he was a bit of, if not a lot of, a coward. He even claimed that it was his softness and his cowardice that got him killed all those years ago...I recall it was about six years before this game when he told me he was dead. I never knew the man myself, so I can't tell whether or not he got what was coming to him."

@Vigilon

The newly began conversation quickly became some back and forth intimidations between a shady guy and a little girl, both in cloaks. This was something that was fairly new for Akudo. However, he managed to figure out what he needed to say. "Hmm...judging by your words and responses, I'd now have to say that on a scale of what I guessed you were, I'd now have to say 'all of the above'. So how about this: You tell us what you know, and why you were listening to their conversation, which is none of your business, and we'll let you be on your way. otherwise, this little intimidation thing is probably gonna keep going, or at least until a fight breaks out. Now, you don't want that, do you?" The female cloaked player was spoken to by the barkeep. "I'll only speak of what's on my mind if what I say never leaves this conversation, which, should we do, you shall never speak of it." She opened up her menu, and a pouch of Col appeared on the counter. "How does 1000 sound, in terms of making sure nothing is spoken of what I'll tell you, even if you are bribed to speak of it?" Dazia laughed for some reason, then she spoke again, mentioning someone she probably never met, apparently her uncle, too. A man named Xavier. "Huh...my dad's name was Xavier...what a coincidence." She then mentioned how, unlike Vigilon, the Xavier she'd heard of was a coward, and that her father claimed it was his softness and cowardice that got him killed, six years before this game began. "Hm, tough luck for him, then...My dad's name was also Xavier, and he was a good man. Six years before this game, he was murdered in cold blood...man, this coincidence is starting to freak me out a bit... I was hoping I'd get to know his side of the family one day, but he always preferred that I'd not get to know them...in fact, I can't say I recall anyone with solid proof of being from my dad's side of the family..."

@Dazia

"Ooooh, looks like we've got a cornered cat over here! Try as you might to claw and hiss at us, you're not getting out of this one!" She cracked her knuckles and pounded her fists together. "So are we gonna fight, or are you gonna talk?" The cloaked player was now scowling at the two who persisted in trying to interrogate him. "D**n you both and your aggravating persistence! Fine! I'll speak, just don't expect everything... I remember dealing with a player named Wardege. He wasn't going through the best of times, so I thought I'd give him a push or two in the favor of my Guild. He would deal with one player in particular, one who was supposed to be tested, to see if they would be a potential ally, or threat. The name currently escapes me, but I won't point them out, either. I simply heard the player's name and tried to see whether or not I was involved in some way...now that I've told you, will you two leave me be?" Yinangi refused to respond with the first thought that popped up in her head, but she now knew something that she would need to tell Dazia... The barkeep was offered a thousand Col to keep silent about the beginning conversation. "With an offer like that? My lips will be sealed. So while everyone's distracted, by all means, speak. This would be the opportune moment." Vigilon spoke of his own father, who also had the name Xavier, and had perished by another's hand six years before this game. "Hmph, so you father, and Xavier Grace, both perished at a similar time, and a similar situation, too. Those are almost impossible odds right there."

@Vigilon

Akudo got the answers he was looking for...but now he had just one more. "Tell me more about this Wardege person. Then I'll leave you alone." The barkeep agreed to keep silent, then told her to speak now, while everyone else was distracted. "I'm from a Guild that's been keeping to the shadows, but I'm considering leaving them. I'm trying to consider the potential consequences, however, for I don't want myself, or those I care about, to come to harm. You might not realize this, and it seems that those two over there haven't figured it out just yet...but they're related. I've met them both. I know one of them personally, though that was quite some time ago, and the other is more of an acquaintance that I'm related to, and may have forgotten me." Vigilon heard a very familiar name... Xavier Grace. His father wanted pretty much nothing to do with his family, from what he told Vigilon, and had even chose for the mother's last name to be the family's last name...Grace was his father's original last name. "...Whoa whoa whoa whoa, Xavier...Grace? I think I misheard you, did you say his last name was Grace? That was once my father's last name! What I heard you say would suggest that we might be...cousins..." If there was anything that had almost impossible odds, it was this.

(OOC: Ah, so you did have that discussion with Krysta... welp, things are about to get interesting now...)

@Dazia

The cloaked player scoffed. "That doesn't concern you in the slightest." Yinangi held up her fist. "Maybe you need some more motivation." The barkeep listened to the female cloaked player's words. "Hmm...sounds like a pretty serious matter. I guess you must have seen them both before, even in what they're both wearing, seeing that one of them has a cowl over her head. Well, anyway, I guess I'd better get back to work. Elephant's not so big after all once it's been heard..." Vigilon seemed to be shocked upon the mention of the name Xavier Grace. He then claimed that the name was the name of his father. Upon the impossibility being remotely possible, Dazia's coffee nearly came out of her nose, and she kind of choked on it for a few seconds. "WHAT?!? You think you misheard me? I think I just misheard you! Us? Cousins? I can't possibly imagine that! ...But I don't recall meeting anyone from my father's side of the family, either...it's absurd...but possible." That was a lot to consider. "I can't believe that this idiot might actually be my cousin..." She looked deep into his red eyes...and saw the possibility that the eyes were highly similar to her own father's... "No way," She thought. "I remember seeing eyes that color with two of my siblings as well...but the eye color and last name can't possibly be enough proof that we're cousins!" She stood up. "I'll believe it when there is solid evidence that we are. Until then, it remains a possible impossibility."

@Vigilon

Akudo was told that it didn't concern him at all. The girl chose to try more intimidation to motivate the shady guy. "Will you talk now?" The female cloaked player's conversation with the barkeep ended, and she turned her attention back to the players around her. She watched the rest of the conversation unfold. The two completely refused the idea of them being cousins. Vigilon encountered a new situation, for this was the first time he'd see Dazia lose her cool out of shock or surprise. The female cloaked player spoke her thoughts aloud. "As impossible as it sounds, it's true." She assumed that her voice was inaudible to the other players, but she was about to learn the hard way that it wasn't the case... "Eh? Who said that?" He turned his head and he spotted her, eavesdropping on the conversation. "Hang on...is it..you? That cloaked player I ran into the other day....If only I got your name..." The female cloaked player became flustered, and she quickly pulled up her messenger, sending a short message to someone. She then turned to flee, the unusual emblem on the back of her cloak visible to all who saw her.

Emblem:

Spoiler

1980287029_ThirteenthOrderEmblem.thumb.png.c53be26c599fef297f7349e92564d7fb.png

@Dazia

"Ha! As if, I only wanted you two off my back! Clearly you just want more information from me, so I won't say any more!" The cloaked player remained silent until the big scene unfolded. The female cloaked player spoke her thoughts regarding the ongoing conversation out loud, and Vigilon wasn't the only one to notice. "Who are you, and why are you eavesdropping on what's none of your business?" She demanded as she drew her weapon. Apparently, Vigilon seemed to recognize this player. "Wait, you two have met?" The cloaked player began to flee after sending out a message, and as Dazia attempted to grab the cloak to try preventing her escape, the other cloaked player began to flee as well. "Move it!" He managed to escape from the tavern, but if one was to chase him down, they might catch him... "He's getting away!" Yinangi called out. The cowl of her cloak had been taken off when the cloaked player was struggling to escape. The realization of this distracted Dazia. "Yinangi?? What are you doing here? I told you this wasn't your business!"

@Vigilon