[F1-PP] The First Few Lessons are Free: Symphony's First Quest

Symphony laughed at his response. "Oh come on Mr. 'Not Much'. I see you desperately reading that book. Looks like you would rather be in that world than this one." She continued to gather materials while talking to him. "You know, at least that's something we have in common. In the real world and this one, I always chose to absorb myself in books whenever I was down or stressed." 

She threw away a rotted root and sighed again. Gotta keep searching, she thought. She continued to talk while gathering as it had been a while since she had spoken to an actual player and not an NPC. Symphony had not made many friends as she was either absorbed in a book or too shy to go up to groups of strangers. But somehow, this loner boy was easier to talk to. Maybe it was his terse attitude, or maybe it was that he seemed like a puzzle -- either way, she felt more comfortable with him than any other players she had encountered. "I've managed to collect these books from shop keepers and from other players. Some players actually have taken to writing and collecting information and making books to help others out." She motioned to the one in his hand. "The one that I gave you was written by another player who has more experience than you by a mile. It's nice to know that at least some people in this world still have a thirst for knowledge and reading." 

She smiled gently at him. Even if he didn't smile back or respond, she knew that he at least was absorbed in the book -- maybe he even liked it. To her, that was an accomplishment: to give him something that he seemed interested in. 

ID#: 113506 LD: 3

Quest materials: 3/5 materials found

Edited by Symphony

Her words set him off. Pinball's gaze lingered on the book's worn pages for a second longer, and when Symphony turned around to continue her gathering, he set it aside. I'm not interested in the damn book, he thought grumpily. Whatever. Pinball went back to picking weeds and staring off into the distance. He was frustrated now, and felt like he couldn't open the book anymore. But he was stubborn, and he refused to give into temptation after that. He pushed it a bit further away from him as Symphony found another material. 

More experience than him by a mile? At first he didn't believe that. There were only a handful of people more powerful than he was, but then he let his tired brain get to work and thought about it. There were some people who had been out in the field way longer than he had, it's true. They could have died or went into hiding like so many others, though. The people on the frontlines he knew - none of them were writers. Except maybe Neo, but that was out of necessity. He harrumphed, and went back to running his fingers through the dirt. 

Symphony noticed him toss the book aside and sighed. "Okay grumpy butt, what's gotten into you again?", she asked casually. He reminded her of one of her younger brothers in a way with his attitude. Always grumpy and trying to hide something because he was scared of opening up. But she was used to that kind of attitude and knew what it really meant. She picked up a blue fresh bud from a small flower on the ground and put it in her pouch. She really wished that she could get Pinball to open up or at least share some part of his pent up emotions. 

She took a small break from her gathering and sat down next to him. "Listen. It's less stressful if you speak your mind. For both you and me." She looked over at him and her eyes opened wide. Quickly, she flicked a small spider off his shoulder and checked to make sure that it hadn't bit him. "Hold still a second." She moved in closer and gently moved his shirt away from his neck to check that he hadn't been bitten. She made sure to be gentle. 

Symphony let out a sigh of relief. He was fine. "Anyways. As I was saying. You being in a bad mood isn't good for you or me." She smiled and stuck her tongue out teasingly. "Now what's got ya all bothered?" She knew it may be dangerous being so close and teasing him, but she was also reckless too and was more curious about his behavior then anything. 

ID#: 113516  LD: 19

Quest objective: 4/5 materials found

"Nothin'," he retorted, shoving his hands in his pocket. Being called a "grumpy butt" made him grumpy. And that made him feel like he was acting like a child... and that made him angrier. He started tearing up the grass, having picked clean the weeds that littered his immediate area. From the corner of his eye he watched her puck a flower off the ground and place it in her pouch. Pinball kept brooding, his lack of sleep obviously, at this point, souring his mood and making him irritable. 

Pinball almost snapped at her when she called him out for not speaking his mind. But then her eyes went wide and she leaned in close. Pinball flinched inwardly, feeling a bit of heat in his ears as she flicked his shoulder and moved his shirt to the side, telling him softly to stay still for a second; and surprisingly, he didn't shove her off or shout or scream or do anything the teenager might have given the impression he would. He wanted to, but he largely lacked the energy, and he was practically limp in her arms as she moved him around. 

He was confused. He hadn't actually realized that it was a bug she had flicked from his shoulder (thank God, or there would have been kicking and screaming), and he was left wondering and a bit embarrassed by the older woman's peculiar actions. "Nothing's got me bothered," he said maybe a bit too quickly, a little red in the face. "I'm gonna- I'm gonna go make sure there's nothing getting too close or anything." He stood up then, and started to walk a little stiffly into the plains, carefully keeping his temporary companion within eyesight. 

Symphony held in a giggle as she watched his cute, funny walk. She watched as he walked away and began to stand up and stretch before she started searching again. She leaned from side to side and turned her head. Suddenly, she saw the final material she needed! She jogged over to a tree a few feet away and trimmed a few branches from a shrub. As she was trimming the last bit of greenery from the shrub, she looked up and into the yellow glaring eyes of a boar. She tried backing up slowly as she carefully put the materials in her pouch. Then she bolted. 

"PINBALL!!" she yelled as she came racing towards him. Symphony was fast but she knew the boar was slowly gaining on her. She raced into the open field he was in and pulled him behind a tree as the powerful boar quickly raced past. That's the one thing about them. They're quick at charging but horrible at turning or changing direction quickly. She was panting against the tree, catching her breath with her chest heaving up and down. She looked up at Pinball to make sure he was fine and then looked back to the boar who was about 20 feet away and preparing to charge again. "Oh no. We have got to move," Symphony said with her eyes wide. 

ID#: 113548  LD: 13

Quest objective: 5/5 materials collected

Next quest objective: go back to Zachariah, craft a potion

Pinball whirled around as soon as he heard her scream. His blade drawn in a second, Pinball found himself charging back to Symphony, retracing his steps. He was a bit upset she was this scared over a single Frenzy Boar, but he knew for beginners, fighting was usually frightening. He slid to a stop in front of her, sword drawn. He faced down the lowly creature with a blank, apathetic stare, and swung his sword in the air. Bright crimson light materialized in the air in front of him, and it rushed forward in a second, a slash of raw energy cutting the creature in half. Pinball sheathed his weapon, and turned back to Symphony. "You alright?

And then, "Sure. Go ahead." Pinball rolled his head around his shoulders, and took a step away from the tree. He paused for a second, retrieved the book he had left on the ground, and offered it to Symphony. He took a step backwards as he held the item out, ready to leave. He'd paid her back, now, and the safety of the city was just a few yards away.

"I'm out.

Symphony's face flushed red with embarrassment at her silly reaction to the boar. In her mind, it had seemed a lot bigger in the moment. She sighed. Suddenly, she looked up to see Pinball handing her back her book. 

"Wait. You're leaving?", she asked. She felt a bit hurt. Had she done something wrong? She looked down at the book in her hand then chased after him. 

"Hold on! Okay, number one, I'm still not finished with this quest. And number two: you going back to the safe zone alone as an orange player isn't the wisest idea." She smiled at herself for her clever logic. She was still curious about him and wanted to get to know him better. It seemed she may have seen a bit of his soft side. 

Smiling coyly, she bent lightly forward in front of him and clasped her hands in front of her nicely-sized chest. "Please? Just think about it. I'm friends with the all the NPCs and guards, and if they see you with me they're more likely to turn their heads the other way than if you were alone." She looked up at him hopefully. 

"I'm not going back into the safe zone," he responded dully. He glanced over his shoulder, then pointed at the grey pillar in the distance that seemed to rise infinitely through the sky. "I'm walking to the second floor." He started to walk forward with a dismissive wave of his hand, ignoring her request and her pleading. "Good luck with the quest." Pinball somehow managed to resist the urge to say goodbye or even stick around with her for just a bit longer; this felt more final, and it painted a much ruder picture of the teenager. That was good. He was done here. And although it ripped his heart to shreds, turning his back on this friendly woman and her genuine concern, he knew it was for the better. Pinball didn't want her to get in trouble for being spotted with him, and he didn't want to get caught if that one edgy mask guy just happened to be patrolling the area. Hestia, he could run away from, but... anyway. He rested the palm of his hand on Tyrfring's pommel as he walked through grassy plains, taking a deep, greedy breath of the crisp evening air. Lingering would just hurt him more. 

So Pinball plucked his heart from his chest and shoved it in a bottle with all other things. 

<<PINBALL LEAVES THE THREAD>> 

Symphony looked after Pinball longingly as he left. She sighed. "Well, there goes the one friend I had made," she said to herself. She started walking back to the Safe Zone, kicking rocks aside as she did so. Then a thought popped into her head, if I train hard enough, then maybe I can get to the second floor and meet him again! And if I keep training, then I might be able to help him. A hopeful smile grew on her lips as she raced back towards the gate of the Safe Zone. Finally, she entered back into the town and let out a sigh of relief. "Now to head back to Zachariah's."

She walked back through the town and raced up the steps to the door of Zachariah's shop. "Zachariah! I found all the materials!" She smiled and handed him the five materials that she had gathered. "Now what's next?" she asked the old NPC

"Now it's time to make a potion," he said while putting the ingredients into a mortar. He handed Symphony the pestle. "Now go ahead and mix it young lady." 

Symphony began to crush the flowers and roots she had gathered into a fine mush. "I think it's working!" she shouted with joy as the mixture began to bubble and form. She poured it into a nice medium-sized glass bottle and handed it to Zachariah with glee. 

"Good work, Symphony," he said while looking at the potion with a smile. "It seems you've made a rare quality potion. Very good for your first attempt." He placed the fresh potion on a shelf and then looked back over at Symphony. "Now would you be able to run a quick errand for me?"

"Of course," Symphony said while smiling, still proud that she had made the potion with one try.

"Can you deliver this package to Lyle Leaf, the local Blacksmith?" he asked. 

ID#: 113585  CR: 9

Quest objective complete: 1/1 potion crafted

Edited by Symphony

Thread summary: 

Symphony earned the following items
- 5 Tier One Health Potions of Uncommon Quality (+40HP)
- 1 Tier One Damage Potion. (+1 Damage)
-1 Tier One Over-Health Potion (+50 Temp. HP)

2 addition skill points earned from quest

1 full page completed: 1 SP earned, 400 col earned

3 SP total earned

Pinball earned: 1 SP for one full page of dialogue

Edited by Symphony