[PP=F1] << Earning a Living: Cook >>

Akiris didn’t have anything else to do and finding a profession seemed to be a good ideal in this world. Looking through the many different ones the only ones that popped out to be interesting were cook, merchant and blacksmith. In the end she considered to go find the master cook.
Arriving at the place she was told she stood there and tilted her head out of habit. “Interesting…” Knocking on the door she stood there for a moment more as she didn’t know if she should just enter. Especially since this place resembled a house more then an actual shop or bakery.

A person then opened the door quickly a woman. “What do you want- Oh you want to learn how to be a cook! Yay! I love teaching adventurers, follow me! Hurry, come on, we don’ have all day.” This lady didn’t even introduce herself and Akiris tensed right up as she was dragged into the door. She was dragged into the back room of what now appeared to be a nicely put together restaurant.
Watching the woman as she went around the kitchen for a moment. “Now I hope you know I’m very serious about this, so I must show you how exactly to cook it. Follow my EVERY step and you’ll be one of the best cooks there are, but not better than me.” The woman went on with pride in her words. Akiris’s brows furrowed at how full of herself she was. Knowing she was an NPC she knew she was made to be with this attitude. But, Akiris could still not help and think She’s pretty full of herself this is going to be…lovely. Even mumbling some of these words before she noticed she was alone around the area.
Having her eyes dart around the room and the lady started talking again. “Sorry about this, this never happens, but the cooks have officially run dry of materials. GO get me five more ingredients, then I will know you want to be a cook just like your dear Maggie here.” The lady seemed to spin away with a majestic attitude.

“I can-“ Before Akiris got done the one named Maggie seemed to be pushing her out the front door. Standing there at the front door she seemed to be oblivious to what just happened. “Maybe I should’ve picked another profession…I knew it I should’ve went with blacksmith.” Akiris huffed and sighed as she looked around. Thinking of her next move she decided to walk through the town to go into the wilderness and find some ingredients the professional cook lady Maggie needed.

Walking down town she stretched her arms up and sighed. “I can always change my profession, later can’t I?” Asking herself she then had a slight ting of …what if I can’t? Instantly she opened her options to research the extra information given in the information section. Looking at these tips and help she ran across that she could always go back and switch her profession and she sighed in relief. “That’s good.” Mumbling as she kept on walking.
Looking at all the people that would walk by her she didn’t know anybody in here. Not a friend or family member and she was going to be trapped in her till she dies or helps get everyone out of here once she gets to the front lines. “I need to make it there.” Akiris stated as she stopped for a moment and looked up to the leveling floors. “I need to get to the front lines as fast as I can.” This was a serious topic point for the younger woman. She felt as if she had to go help but right now she was just starting her journey.

@Haltar Dhrim

Haltar was ending up preparing for his hunt as he had for the past few days. He made a final check to see if he had taken everything. "Armor, check... Weapon, check... Potions, check... Okay, I'm ready. Let's go!" He then opened the door to his room and left the inn where he was staying. It was a beautiful sunny day, and as he walked towards the gates, Haltar saw a lot of players strolling through the streets. Once he got near the gates, he saw a dark-haired girl nearby. She looked thoughtful about something as she headed for the exit. Somehow this reminded Haltar the first time he had left the city: he too was quite worried, but fortunately someone showed up to accompany him, and the task was much simpler. <Maybe I should do it too and ask if she needs some help... After all, the more strong players we are, the better. And besides, somehow I would like to pay back for the help I received> He then headed towards the girl and introduced himself. "Hi, greetings, my name is Haltar. I was seeing you a little hesitant, is it the first time you go out? If you are fine with thay, I can accompany you, it's not so dangerous if you don't go too far, but it's always better not to be alone" he said in a friendly voice.

@Akiris

Edited by Haltar Dhrim

Standing there she was in complete deep thought about where cooking ingredients would be. in the meadows and maybe in the lining of the forest. That'd probably the best way to go the girl thought. 

Hearing a voice at first Akiris thought it was to somebody else by her it was quite busy. Then she saw the orange-ish colored haired man out of the corner of her eye. Smiling kindly at the man Akiris thought he made a good first impression. It took Akiris a moment as she realized she should introduce herself and stop standing there like an idiot. "Hello, Haltar! I'm Akiris it's nice to meet you." Introducing herself as she listened to the rest of his words. Her introduction seemed a bit fast spoken and a little awkward as if she was not prepared to talk to somebody at all or somebody to come up to her and start talking to her. 

It wasn't exactly her first time going out and she wasn't too nervous about it. She was mainly in thought where to find ingredients to start becoming a chef/cook. Though she never minded people tagging along or wanting to help. It was very much a lonesome game if you were not talking to people ...just like real life. Sighing to this thought. "It's not exactly my first time going out but I was thinking of where the best area to look for ingredients is. Meadows, valleys, plains, and edges of the forest." Though it would be a lie if she said she wasn't hesitant. Akiris knew how serious this game got when people couldn't log out and could actually die. "I do agree with you, Haltar. It is better to have a companion along the way. I also would be lying to you if I said I wasn't hesitant." Smiling at the man as her tone was still kind and gentle. 

"You can come along if you want but I'm not fighting anything, I don't think. Just finding cooking ingredients for the Master cook Maggie." Akiris wasn't going on some epic adventure to take down a boss or anything...if she was doing that she would join a raid. Simply just finding cooking materials and she hoped that didn't bore her new acquaintance to much. 

@Haltar Dhrim

Seeing Akiris being taken by surprise by her greeting, Haltar could not hold back a smirk as he answered her. Not out of malice, simply because of the somewhat stereotypical situation that had arisen. In any case, Akiris explained the reason for her exit.
"Hmm, ingredients, eh? Damn, I never went to pick it up, I wouldn't know where to start... Going wild boar isn't an option, so I'd say we could try to go to the edge of the forest. It will take a while though"
It is true that for that day Haltar had in mind to go hunting, but he could also postpone a day. Besides doing his good deed, he felt the need to know a few new people. So far he hadn't known anyone from Aincrad, too busy trying to survive in the city. And who knows, maybe in the future Akiris could help her in some mission.
"What do you say, shall we go to the forest? We can ask the guards the safest way to get there"

@Akiris

Edited by Haltar Dhrim

As the other questioned the situation. Akiris went into her menu tab to look at the quest information. Recommended non-combat gathering though gather through any means fishing, gathering, and combat. Shrugging her should at this she nodded her head. "Wild boar?" Akiris seemed interested. "Well the quest recommends gathering but we can go fishing or fighting animals for ingredients." Akiris started as she then shut her menu since it wasn't a use for her at the moment. 

They were not too far from the gates already and she glanced over. Seeing a few NPC guards walking around in what appeared heavy duty armor that shined from the suns reflection. It was weird NPC's and players appeared so similar yet you could usually tell who a player is vs an NPC"We can go to the forest and grasslands. I think that would be the best place." Agreeing to go towards the forest she started to slowly move towards the gates and guards. "It will probably help if we ask for the safest route. Unless we want to get into combat with multiple animals. Though, I kind of just want, to get the first quest over. The NPC for this one is pretty self-centered, annoying and pushy." An irritated tone was said with these words. Remembering not even thirty minutes ago she went and accepted the quest. Akiris was probably not even in that building for ten minutes before being right back on the doorstep. Causing her to question if she wanted to even pursue this career or another. She was sticking with this one for now.

The darker haired girl started making her way towards the gates. Slowly since she didn't want to run off and seem rude to this new guy Haltar. Looking back to see if he was ready to go she smiled at him and her bright golden eyes seemed to sparkle in the light of the day. 

@Haltar Dhrim

"Hmm, I don't think fighting is a good idea. I mean, if we're lucky we can find what you need most easily, but I think it's better to take it easy and stay safe on the edge of the forest. Shall we go then?"
Haltar followed Akiris to the gates, unable to help but notice his golden eyes. He had a really lovely look. If that was his appearance in real life, he imagined he had a lot of admirers behind him. But there was something in the girl's voice that betrayed a desire to finish the job as soon as possible, as if it were an unpleasant task for her. It was this aspect that kindled Haltar's curiosity more, who decided to satisfy it immediately. "Actually, I'd like to ask you, why did you decide to become a cook? You don't seem very convinced... Is it just because you don't like the NPC, or isn't it just your favorite job?"

@Akiris

Edited by Haltar Dhrim

Nodding her head in agreement to the male’s statement she knew staying on the safe side especially at such low levels would be better. In the long run at least so they could at least live a little more. “I agree. Let’s go.” Akiris replied simply to her new companion as she started to walk with the man. Gradually she walked towards the gates as she stretched which seemed to be a habit of hers. Probably from working as a waitress/hostess at her family’s café.

Looking out through the gates she saw the road winding down a long path towards somewhere else with forests and grasslands on either side. It was digital but still beautiful. Smiling towards the sight she admired nature quite a lot. Akiris then heard the male ask her about why she was becoming a cook. Stopping for a moment she glanced at him and smiled. “I thought of my choices cook, merchant and blacksmith. The way of the Merchant didn’t seem to wonderful to me to I let my interests go in between cook and blacksmith. It’s cool to make weapons and everything but I enjoy the culinary.” Akiris stated as she seemed to be thinking of it more now. “I work with an assortment of foods and diverse beverages in the real world. I work for my parents and they own a café. I grew up with the interest and no, I don’t really care for the NPC that is the Master Cook.” Bringing up the Master Cook seemed to turn Akiris’s voice into a more annoyed tone. “She was quite rude for an NPC. I know she’s not real but still…” Mumbling off as she started to continue on her way now getting out of the gates.

Once out she looked around and smiled a little more. Not letting the NPC Master Cook stay on her mind for long. “I have always admired cooking in the real world and why not admire it here too?” Akiris asked as she was letting her eyes wander to different areas she could see. Trying to figure out what would be the best area to find ingredients to cook something. Almost in a whisper she put her finger on her bottom lip. “Maybe I should cook an apple crisp…” Thinking about this she did love apple crisps, pies and more. That sounded so good…apple crisps. Sighing that she couldn’t have some right now.

@Haltar Dhrim

Edited by Akiris

"Oh, so you work in a café? Well, then it's just natural that you want to continue to do your job! And don't worry about that NPC, starting from tomorrow you probably won't see him anymore."
Haltar replied to Akiris without noticing that talking about that character irritated her quite a bit.
"Anyway, I understand you know. Everything is so realistic here, that it's hard to remember that all of this is actually a big pile of code." As they walked towards the forest, his brown eyes looked around to admire the landscape. Yes, it was really well done. And he was curious to find out what other landscapes he would find on the upper floors.
"Cooking could definitely be considered an art, and although it is simplified here, I'm sure that with passion, you can create some special dishes! When you have your own shop, I think I could come and taste something..." Haltar said to the girl, imagining what he could find in Akiris' shop. Most likely sweets, since she worked in a café. He was already looking forward to it...

@Akiris

Edited by Haltar Dhrim

Akiris nodded her head to the male's question. "I do." Which she was proud of. She loved working at her parent's cafe the building, property, and business has been in her families lives for a few decades now. "I know which is why I am trying to get through this quest so I can move on." Smiling about the thought of having the profession made her happy. She was ready to be considered a chef here. 

As he pointed out it was under digital code this seemed to make her eyes sparkle. "Its amazing isn't it?" She asked Haltar as they were on the topic. "I love the realism of the game's graphics its quite wonderful to see the work up close." Admiring the game's graphics and realism to the sky and horizon. Akiris had a passion for different types of art.

Hearing Haltar state that he could come to her shop when she had one. Shrugging her shoulders to this. "I might not have a shop, Haltar. Though, I always invite you to dinner." Smiling at the male as her kind voice and soft appearance came back. Akiris always enjoyed cooking for others more than just for herself. 

Getting out of the front gates she looked at a few of the guards. Approaching one as she tried getting its attention but the NPC was talking to another NPC and ignoring her. Akiris's brows furrowed at this as she walked away from the two NPC's. "Stupid coded guards..." Mumbling as she started going to the other side.

@Haltar Dhrim

Akiris seemed really determined about becoming a cook. Haltar was glad to hear it: it was nice to find a person with a great passion.
Also, Haltar felt finally understood when he heard her words about that world. "Oh, do you think so too? It's the first time I've heard anyone else say it, I'm glad I'm not the only one!"
When Akiris invited Haltar to dinner, he became speechless for a moment. He did not expect an invitation to her home, but he was certainly pleased. He then smiled back at her. "I will be very happy to have dinner with you, Akiris. I'm looking forward for that!"
After a moment, he began to look towards the grasslands. At this point they really should have started to get to work. Since the guards apparently didn't want to answer, Haltar decided to take the lead. He took Akiris by hand and led her to the prairie for the first few meters. "Come on, Akiris, let's go. Let's try the most direct route, we should be safe." Then he started walking down the path to the forest, waiting for a moment to see if she would follow him or not.

@Akiris

Edited by Haltar Dhrim

As Haltar seemed intrigued by how she spoke of the game this caused Akiris to spark up a little. Finally, she met somebody who understood how she felt about the game. Feeling a bit more comfortable around this acquaintance now since they both had a similar view on this virtual world. "I actually want to do digital art for my career." Which could be a reason why she was so interested in the digital graphics of the game.

Hearing that he would enjoy having dinner made her happy since she loved cooking for others. Her passion was to cook for other people and, now she had a future opportunity.

Ignored by the one side of guards Akiris decided to walk over to the others and right when she was getting there; a hand came out of nowhere and grabbed hers. At first, she didn't know who it was and, the realism of the games sensory gear caused her to tense up. Noticing it was Haltar caused the shock of somebody grabbing her to fade away. It was only her new found friend. He seemed very up to go as he pulled her along a little way. "It shouldn't be dangerous there is, two of us." Hoping she was correct Akiris followed the male.

@Haltar Dhrim

Edited by Akiris

Akiris and Haltar walked towards the forest. As they advanced, a light breeze rose, swaying the tall grass around them, and moving the girl's long hair. Around them every so often they noticed other players, intent on collecting objects or fighting some boars.
<Very well, they probably have already cleaned up the spawned monsters for today. This way, we will succeed in reaching the forest without problems.>
In fact, they managed to arrive at the edge of the forest. At that point the grass of the prairie became darker and thicker, except for a dirt track that was lost in the trees.
Haltar stopped in front of it. "Well, I would say that here we could find something..." He stopped talking shortly thereafter, realizing that he had forgotten something important in his haste. He turned to Akiris, running a hand through his hair without realizing it: he did it instinctively when he realized he had made a mistake. "Although, maybe, I should have asked you first what you were looking for, hehe... Sorry about that."
In that area, however, he was pretty sure there would be something useful. But he wasn't a chef, he could be wrong...

@Akiris

Akiris followed Haltar towards the forest but, she appeared to be stuck on another thought. His hand was grabbing her's and, she couldn't help but stare at it.
This feeling is weird its so real as if he's actually grabbing my hand even though he's not. Akiris thought to herself as she made a sparse face with her brows furrowed. Never actually considering the nerve gear had this much potential at forming sensory.  Akiris's mind went to pain. It must feel horrible here and so real. Akiris seemed a little off to this thought of pain. Personally, Akiris did not know if she could handle any serious pain in this game. She didn't want to feel anytime soon.

Once Haltar started talking her focus went onto him. Looking around regarding they were already at the edge of the forest seemed to surprise her. She was so in thought she didn’t realize they arrived already. “I believe we can find ingredients here.” Akiris smiled knowing she could defiantly find what she was looking for by the edge of the forest.  Noticing that Haltar seemed to be in thought for a moment before he started talking and apologized.  “You don’t have to apologize, Haltar."  Giggling a little to his apologizing she saw, no need for it. She was right where she wanted to be in a field at the edge of a forest. “I’m thinking of a stuffed apple crisp. The ingredients I will have to find are wild spices, apples, oats, sugar, and honey or sweet tree sap of some sort.” Akiris had a plan and that plan was to make stuffed apple crisp it sounded delicious.

Leaving the contact between the two. Akiris went over and started to look around towards the forest lining and the field to see if she could spot any ingredients.  Some plants seemed to appear out that could identify as spices, but she didn’t know. “I will start searching. It shouldn’t take to long hopefully.”  Akiris said as she went towards the trees to find apples.

@Haltar Dhrim

ID# 116664 [ Searching for Apples #1 Ingredient 1LD] = 20 (Success!)

Haltar was relieved to know that the place where he had brought Akiris was the right place for his quest: his haste brought no inconvenience. As the girl began to search for the ingredients for her dessert, Haltar stopped at the beginning of the path that led into the forest, trying to see or hear if there were other players or some monster. For the moment, however, he felt nothing: everything seemed calm.
He was surprised at the ease with which Akiris found some apples from a nearby tree. "Hey, if you're that fast, we'll be back very soon!" he said to encourage her.
Then another thing occurred to him that the girl had talked about. "You know, about your dream of becoming a digital artist... it really feels like a good thing. I was thinking, when we'll return to the real world, one day, we'll have to tell them what happened here. I don't think we will be able to bring some screenshots with us or something like that, and we certainly can't let them in here. So there will certainly be a need for artists to draw what they saw. A drawing is worth a thousand words" he concluded, facing the girl.

@Akiris

Edited by Haltar Dhrim

Seeing a tree she smiled and noticed the apples right away. "They look delicious..." She mumbled as she reached up to pick a few. Putting them into her inventory and hearing Haltar made her smile. "Hopefully, I can keep this luck!!" This made a big smile appear on Akiris's face one that revealed her teeth. 

Gathering a few apples she decided that was enough before she went back to thinking. Wild spice, oats, sugar or some kind of sweet ingredient." The female tapped her chin with one finger. Looking around the fields with the long swaying grass. She started searching for wild oats for the apple crisp.

Akiris then heard the male start to talk about the game and the real world. He started talking about how the story would need to be told and that digital art would come in handy. Akiris frowned at this thought of what was happening here. It was quite awful and her eyes went a little sad. "Maybe the story that is written here shouldn't be told to the rest of the world, Haltar." Akiris didn't know if the world was prepared to hear about how people actually died in this game which leads to permanent death on the outside of this virtual world. Maybe people would be at peace just knowing that they're loved ones were gone. Not needing to know what actually happened. 

Trying to get her thoughts out of such a depressing topic. Akiris went on to search for the wild oats she needed for her dessert.

ID# 116845 [Searching for Wild Oats 1LD] = 20 (Success)

[2/5] Ingredients found

@Haltar Dhrim

Akiris did not seem enthusiastic at all about the idea of telling what had happened in Aincrad, rather she tried to avoid the subject. Haltar was sorry to have made her uncomfortable, actually he thought it would be a noble goal to pursue. However he could not yet drop the subject like that, he felt it was important.
"I understand that this is a difficult subject, but my thought is that being afraid to tell this story would be likely a sin towards those who tried to save us. They deserve to be remembered."
He had not known any player who had died in battle yet, since he had just begun adventuring. But if something would happen to him, he would at least like to be remembered. Disappearing was a thought in his mind, if possible, worse than death itself. But that was not why Haltar had brought up the subject.
"In any case, there are not only negative things in this world. The landscapes, the bonds, the community that was formed... this must also be remembered, don't you think?" he ended with a timid smile.

@Akiris

Edited by Haltar Dhrim

Akiris did agree with Haltar though she wasn't saying it was difficult for the people inside of the game. "Sometimes the best thing is to remember the memory, instead of sharing it Haltar." Akiris stated as she tried to keep finding items with this talk. "Some people don't want to be remembered by everyone. I know I don't want to be." The complete truth as she spoke out the sincere words. She didn't want to be remembered if she fell to her fate in this game or even in the real world. She didn't want a grave she wanted to be cremated. She didn't want something to be stained with her memory except by her family and friends.

Akiris was going to remember this place along with the others that lived among it. She knew everyone was going to have their memories, and she smiled at Haltar. "It will be remembered by the players. Isn't that good enough?" Akiris asked the male as she seemed curious about why he was so persistent on everything being remembered.

Thinking about it, she considered that maybe the male beside her didn't want to be forgotten. Akiris did not want to question him and make any personal mistakes, so she didn't ask. She just went back to collect the items she needed for the quest.

ID# 117025 [Searching for Wild Spices 1LD] = 3 (Fail)

[2/5] Quest Ingredients found

@Haltar Dhrim

Although the subject was not to her liking, Akiris nevertheless found the way to smile to Haltar while answering him. The boy had the impression that she wanted to reassure him, as if to say that everything would be fine.
In that moment Haltar felt the need to agree with her and not to appear restless. He then smiled back at her. "Yes, I think you're right. It is enough for our family and our friends to remember us."
But there was another thing that struck him in Akiris's question. He had noticed a spark of curiosity, as if she wanted to understand why he had expressed the need to remember everything that happened in the game. For some reason this thought made him uncomfortable. He could not say why, he simply chose to close the conversation to avoid further discomfort. Only then did he realize that he had stiffened for a moment before responding to Akiris: he hoped she hadn't noticed.
All of this, however, did not prevent him from noticing the wit with which she had managed to get him to retreat from the subject. <She certainly knows her business, no doubt about it. She is definitely a sharp girl and able to defend for herself.> He looked at her for a moment before looking back at the surrounding grasslands, looking for something to say.

@Akiris

Edited by Haltar Dhrim

Haltar agreed with her after everything he said she thought it was odd. "A lot of people in this game will remember us too." Akiris smiled at the male. She noticed something made him uncomfortable. Not exactly knowing what she wasn't going to push it right now or ask. 

Thinking about switching the topic she knew a lot of topics she could casually bring up. "So, Haltar what made you want to play sword art online?" Akiris asked as she started to look for Wild Spices for her stuffed Apple crisps. 

Though on how he agreed and started to act. Especially with not answering her. Akiris was going to keep that in mind for another day. Something was off about it and she didn't want to cause any distance between her new friend. Then thinking. About it, she didn't actually friend him yet. Smiling to this she tapped her menu then scrolled down and searched Haltar's name. Pressing a few buttons before a screen popped up confirming the just went a friend request to Haltar. Not saying anything about sending the request she went on her way of searching for ingredients. 

ID# 117093 [Searching for Wild Spices 1LD] = 4 (Unsuccessful)

[2/5] Quest Ingredients found. 

@Haltar Dhrim

Fortunately Akiris pulled Haltar out of the way, changing the subject for him. The boy was happy to go follow her by answering her question. "This is a rather peculiar story. You know, I shouldn't really be here." He waited a moment before telling his story.
"Since I was a child, I had a friend who was always close to me. His name is Alessandro. We did everything together, spending whole days playing, we were inseparable." Remembering his childhood, he couldn't help but smile.
"Then we grew up and our streets split up. Ale has always loved Japan, and in the end he decided to move there, while I stayed at home in Italy. But we always kept each other in touch, telling each other everything that was happening to us."
"Sometimes I even went to visit him. Last time he showed me how he had managed to get a NerveGear, he was really happy. And since he knew that I am also fond of video games, and I was on vacation, he let me try it while he was at work."
He smiled sadly at the idea of the scene that must have appeared before his best friend when he returned home. "It must not have been nice at all to find me stuck there..." he concluded in a slightly lower voice. Then he immediately recovered. "But all in all, I'm glad it happened. At least he was spared."
At that moment a popup appeared before his eyes. He read Akiris's friend request, and clicked on the confirmation button with a smile. "Thanks Akiris! Does this mean I can invite you to some other day out?" he asked laughing.

@Akiris