[F1-PP] Scavenging for Stuff

Spending his time scavenging through the starting area and jabbing at boars with what amounted to a fancy-looking fireplace poker was not what Hyousuke had been looking forward to that day. He’d accepted that it’d be a part of an MMO, but had hoped he’d at least be able to spend some time experiencing what advanced VR was like. Unfortunately, being trapped in what had quickly been revealed as a game with literal lives on the line had put a damper on such plans. Rather than spending his time exploring and experiencing the world that’d been so meticulously crafted, he found himself having to prepare as best he could for the road ahead. And that meant grinding for gear.

He’d decided that it would be best to start out with getting himself kitted out. Some basic armour, a shield, maybe an upgrade to his starter sword. Some potions too, and if he could afford it, some accessories. He didn’t want people to find his name etched onto a stone slab because he’d misjudged how powerful an enemy just outside of the starting area was. To that end, he’d have to scavenge for materials, and slay some enemies to fund his exploits. Boring work, but necessary too.

He started by foraging around in a conspicuous-looking patch of rocks a fair distance from the gate. Some boars pottered around some feet away from him, but it didn’t seem like they’d care much about him unless he came closer, or started hurling things at them.

ROLL RESULT: 16

ROLL ID: 117821

He held up some nondescript material - basic and low-quality, but it was a start. He stowed it, and went back to his search, sifting through the stones and various bits of flora to see if there was anything else worth picking up.

Edited by Rushdown

The man had made his way out to the lake, planning to fish all day and head back to his favorite honkey tonk to party all night. The water was warm, but not too warm, and the water while relatively still, moved just slightly, breaking the reflection of the sun in a beautiful way that reminded the cowboy of the pond on his dad’s farm. “Ah, I’d reckon this is home to a bass or two. Can’t go noodlin’ though, too many small critters.” He looks around, hearing footsteps from not so far away. “Ooh, I could have myself a posse.” His spurs on his boots clink as he cuts through the shrubbery and out to see a player in the grass. “Howdy!” He shouts to the other player, puffing on his cigar and releasing smoke, as he tips his hat with his other hand.

Having greeted the player, the man would walk up to him and extend his arm for a handshake, smiling like the devilish cowboy he is. “Name’s Clyde, and you are?” He asks, tilting his head up, but in a respectful manner.

@Rushdown

Hyousuke's rummaging through rocky patch was interrupted by the presence of a stranger - one he couldn't help but be a little wary of, once he remembered that PKers existed, but turned to face nonetheless. If the accent was anything to go by, he wasn't Japanese, but that was all Hyousuke could discern about the man, save for whatever information was displayed on the UI. He responded to Clyde's greeting with a calm smile and a nod towards him in acknowledgement, and took his hand to shake it firmly. "Rushdown. Pleased to meet you."

Releasing Clyde's hand, he paused for a moment, not entirely sure of how to continue the conversation, until he thought to ask a question. One that likely had an obvious answer, given the area that they were in, but he thought it better than just standing by and letting the awkward silence keep going. "So what're you doing out here? You looking for materials too?"

@Clyde

“I was lookin’ for me a lake to go fishin’ in. Of course, this one here is great, but I’d like a larger lake.” He smiles confidently and pulls his cigar out of his mouth, releasing more smoke and throwing the last little bit away as it explodes into blue shards. “Anyways, what was it? Rushdown, can I call you Rush? Wanna gather some materials with a humble cowboy.” He tilts his black gambler hat and smirks a little. I wonder if he knows his plants. He turns and starts walking, hoping to god the guy follows. “Raisin’ hell on your own is just lame, come on old pal, let’s ride.” His spurs clang as he walks, his poncho covering the majority of his torso.

The man had done his damnedest to look like the cowboys from the movies. “So... what’re you up to Rush? I’m sorry I popped up out of nowhere and invited ya on this little adventure.” He turns towards the player and puts a pouch of dip in his lip. “I know it’s gotta be scary them player killers out there.” He turns and starts walking, this time waiting to see if the player had accepted his invite.

@Rushdown

The whole cowboy 'thing' had Hyousuke taken aback a little, but he decided not to comment on it - for the time being, anyway. He couldn't tell if the player really was American, or if this was an act - everything seemed to be hitting all the marks for someone out of a Clint Eastwood movie. He walked the walk, talked the talk... While not concerning, it was still rather strange to see in action. Nevertheless, he followed along, still glancing around for a spot that looked like it had materials worth taking. "Rush is fine. Full name's a mouthful, so I don't blame you."

The comment about player killers did have him on edge, however, and his hand instinctively twitched towards his blade. He didn't draw it, or even touch it, but the man was a stranger - and, the more the thought about it, the odder it seemed that he was being led away from what seemed to be a perfectly adequate spot for gathering. "I'm not that worried about them." He said, like a liar. "Not like I've got any loot that'd make it worth the mark."

@Clyde