[PP-F1] A Chef's Humble Beginnings <<Earning a Living: Cook>> (Huginn)

Spoiler

Floor 1
<<Earning a Living: Cook>>
Recommended Level: Any | Party Limit: 4
Repeatable Only to Change Professions

Maggie Spatulin (Master Cook NPC)
"What do you want- Oh you want to learn how to be a cook! Yay! I love teaching adventures, follow me! Hurry, come on, we don't have all day." The woman basically drags the player to the back room of the restaurant they are in, pushing open doors, and entering into a large, clean white kitchen. On every stove there seems to be something cooking, and each smell is better than the last. The woman is already picking at a piece of a crepe, trying it, and smiling at the taste of it. "Now I hope you know I'm very serious about this, so I must show you how exactly to cook it. Follow my EVERY step and you'll be one of the best cooks there are, but not better than me." She said with a look and went to go cook, but realized that there are no more ingredients. "Sorry about this, this never happens, but the cooks have officially ran dry of materials. Go get me five more ingredients, then I will know you want to be a cook just like your dear Maggie here."

Rewards:

• 1 Additional SP (First Completion Only)
  • <<Cook>> Profession
  • Successfully Crafted Item
  • Standard <<Cook>> Shop (Able to have a Cook thread in the Merchants & Shops section)
  • (5) Tier 1 crafting materials

Objectives:

• Gather (5) materials and bring them to Maggie's Kitchen.
    • Go into the wild and gain materials through any standard means (gathering, fishing, combat). Non-combat gathering is recommended for this task.
  • Craft an item in Maggie's Kitchen.
    • Make a standard Crafting Roll (Dice Roller Tutorial). Specify the item type in the Roll Purpose (must be a Tier 1 item). Use the Crafting Die Chart for a Rank 1 Cook:
      • [1] = Critical Fail (Lose materials)
      • [2-5] = Fail (Lose materials)
      • [6-9] = Salvage (Keep materials on LD 11+)
      • [10] = Uncommon item (1 slot)
      • [11] = Rare item (2 slots)
      • [12] = Perfect item (3 slots)
    • Submit the successfully crafted item for Evaluation.
    • NOTE: You keep the item you craft as a reward for completing the quest, as well as any leftover materials. For example, your first crafting attempt has an 11 CD result. You submit a rare item for Evaluation and keep that item and the remaining four crafting materials. This is in addition to the 5 crafting materials listed in the quest rewards.

Requirements:

• At least one [1] Page (20 or more posts)
  • Players must RP searching for materials and crafting their item.
  • If a party of players undertakes this quest together (as in, each player wishes to become a cook), each must succeed on their own objectives (e.g. each must gather 5 materials and successfully craft 1 item).
  • Accompanying players who are not undertaking the quest do not have to gather their own materials and are ineligible for quest rewards.

Hikoru put the closed sign on his Shop for the last time. He had finally decided it was time to change professions. He had lost his interest in appraisals a long time ago, and he had grown tired of owning the small little shop. He opened his menu and chose the option to close the little shop permanently, and the title of <<Merchant>> Disappeared from under his name in his HUD. He sighed and made his way to the first floor

"It's time for a change." He spoke to himself. He gave a small whistle, and Sir Rolland came to his side. He had been looking at the candy shop accross the street, a small puddle of drool easy to see where he was standing. He just sighed and patted the small creatures head. It gave a small grumble and growl happily, then the both of them went to the teleporter, Hikoru writing a small item on the notice board.

Spoiler

Title: Partner Needed

Body: Looking for someone to kill time while I do Earning a Living. Will give the first item I make for your troubles. Meet at Floor 1 Teleporter Plaze

After sending it, he waited patiently, hoping someone would reply

Stats: 

Spoiler

Title: Master of Shadows

Level: 76

HP: 1550

EN: 152

DMG: 16
ACC: 3
EVA: 3
MIT: 79

Inventory:

2x  T3 Tears of Tranquility - +120 HP Restore
Shadow's Gait (+3 EVA)
N/A
N/A
N/A
N/A

Skills:

Grandmaster Dagger (+5 DMG)
Grandmaster Light Armor (+25 MIT)
Grandmaster Charge (+5 DMG first hit)
Grandmaster Search (+5 LD) 
Grandmaster Shadowed Path (+5 to Hiding Checks. +3 Base Damage when attacking from Stealth)
Grandmaster Battle Healing (5% Health regen per hit)
Novice Martial Arts (+4 Damage)
Extended Mod Limit Rank 2 (+2 Mod Slots)

Extra Skills:

Concentration (+1 ACC when used)
Martial Arts (Rank 2)
Survival (+15*Tier HP Out of battle & Not affected by environment)
Familiar Handling: Fighter (Max Rank) (+9 DMG)

Mods:

Sneak Attack [Assassin] (+2 Damage, Auto Attack, No stuns or status effects can trigger)
Athletics (+1 DMG, +10*Tier HP)
Precision (+1 ACC)
Vanish (Return to stealth using a post, automatically enter stealth after killing a foe)
Blindside (Gain +2 Stealth Rating. Natural BD rolls of 9-10 reduce the target's accuracy by 1 for one turn when attacking from stealth.)
Untraceable (Negates the effect of the Tracking skill against the user.)

Buffs:

Shadowed Path (Immunity to Passive Detection, 20% Damage increase when attacking from stealth, Do not gain Hate on a normal attack, Gain 1 Hate from a Critical attack)
Multipurpose (+1 Stealth Rating for one Post in a thread)
Relaxed (Increases HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts)
Clean (The first time you would suffer DoT damage in a thread, reduce damage taken from DoT each turn by 20% (rounded down))
Rested (-1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat)
Tasty (Turn 2 identical food items (same quality, tier, & enhancements) into a Lesser Feast. A Lesser Feast contains 4 portions of the food items sacrificed. Lesser Feasts created this way cannot be used outside of the thread they are created. Limit 1 item created per thread)
Item Stash (+1 Battle Ready Inventory Slot)
Filling (Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot. This can exceed normal Cook enhancement caps. Ex: A perfect T2 MIT food gives 35 MIT instead of 30)
Col Stash (+5% bonus col from monster kills and treasure chests)

Equipment:

Weapon: Dimensional Dagger: (+1 Phase, +2 ACC)

Armor: Shadow's Triumph (+54 MIT, +1 Light Momentum)

Accessory: --- Shadow's Eye (+3 LD)

Familiar: Sir Rolland the Mini Pumpking (+9 DMG)

Huginn had been reading requests for the easiest ways to earn experience and maybe get a little better at what he does. His little blue flame floats around him and hovers by a very specific request. The earning a living quest. Doesn’t look like it’s that hard, besides, it’d be nice to see what I’ll be doing when I get a profession. He pulls the request off of the pin and walks out towards the central plaza.

As he walks into the teleport plaza, he notices a frontliner. A very particular frontliner that he had spoken to at the christmas party. Should I talk to him? Maybe he’s busy and I shouldn’t bother him.  Before Huginn could even work up the courage to convince himself to talk to the master of stealth himself, Felli takes it upon herself to fly over towards him out of nowhere.

Her floating while erratic, gives off the vibe of endearing friend meeting an old pal. She was always so happy meeting new people, mainly because it annoyed Huginn and she apparently liked to annoy him. “Felli-“ he says as he follows her up to the player, and without saying a word, grabs Felli and pushes her back to right above his shoulder (where she belongs).

Hikoru waited for a little while, his blue cloak donned on his shoulders but the hood pulled down. He was about to make his way towards the quest, when a small little wisp came to him. He recognized it instantly from the Christmas event that he had gone to a little while ago, and he noticed the young man that he had met that day for a few moments. He came over and grabbed his familiar, and he saw Sir Rolland stare at the small creature, a small piece of drool starting to form next to his maw. He just chuckled.

"You may want to keep your wisp away from Sir Rolland. He may try to eat him." He teased, holding out a finger to the wisp. "So, are you the one that answered my request? If so I wouldn't mind the company. Besides I feel that I left on a sour note at the Christmas event, and this could make up for it." He said with a small laugh. "I'm Hikoru, Master of Shadows. I'm sure you've heard of me, there isn't anyone who doesn't..." He spoke, sounding a little annoyed. "But that's besides the point. Who might you be?"

“I’m Shiro... sir.” He responds to the player who had invited him on this quest. He decided in the beginning to keep his manners on point because even though he wasn’t with his parents to make them angry, he figured when they got out it would be better that he never broke the habit. “I would be happy to help you out.” He says, nodding and turning to look at the familiar of the man before him. His hand moves towards his familiar and While Shiro was worried, he figured nothing would happen to Felli.

”With all due respect, I think we should head out here soon.” He smiles and turns towards the southern gate. “I had heard the best place is somewhere out that way. South into the woods.” He says, looking back at the player. “I’m sorry... I’m sure you already know that.” He looks down to the ground.

Hikoru just nodded at the formalities. Although the player had given his name, he didn't feel that it was the username that the player had told him. He didn't ask questions however, and just patted the players head.

"Please, no formalities here. We're players just trying to live. However I'm just a player that wants to be a cook rather than a Merchant." He chuckled to himself. He looked around and saw where the young Shiro had mentioned, and he looked around. "Hm, I'm sure your right. Although we are on the first floor, the creatures here could still prove to be a nusiance. Especially since I don't know your stats, build or even your level." He said, rubbing his chin in thought. Sir Rolland enjoyed the small pat from the younger player, and gave a giant, one-eyed toothy grin. 

"Alright, we should get a move towards grabbing supplies to cook. I already talked to the NPC in charge of here and she said to grab five." He spoke as he made his way towards the South.

“Okay...” His timid nature had made itself known once more. Sometimes when he doesn’t think about it, he can be a regular introvert. His hands slide into his pockets and Felli floats around him. Usually Felli would be hanging around the girl Shiro was usually with, but Shiro wasn’t worried about the small blue flame, and Felli wasn’t fond of people like Shiro. He turns to start walking towards the area he had stated was the best spot, but his steps were quiet and his movements sluggish, almost like he was scared.

As they walk through the town on their way out, the boy begins to wonder why the man assisting him was helping him out. Shiro hadn’t even made a name for himself in any manner. He’s a shadow everyone usually forgets, but this frontliner asked him to accompany him. Of course, he had made it a public request anyone could join, but he still accepted a nobody with an all black outfit. “By the by, my player name is Huginn. In case you needed to know.” He says softly to the other player.

Hikoru walked in silence, patiently waiting for their area to arrive over the horizon. He had decided to keep quiet as he sensed a feeling of awkwardness from the young player. It didn't bother him though, as he was sort of used to it at this point. It was a curse of being a frontliner. Lower-levelled players tended to avoid them in public, or asked for tips. It used to be annoying to him, but now he found it interesting to watch, almost to the level of enjoyable. His head perked up as Shiro gave his player name. Usually, it went the other way around, but he just chuckled. 

"Huginn eh? Sounds nice." He said with a nod. "So tell me about yourself Mr. Huginn, what build are you going for? Any unique items, or things you've found intereresting on the floors?" He said, a little amused. "If you don't want to tell, I understand, but I do have a file on you at my place, so I have a little bit on you."

He seemed to be weirdly curious about Shiro, and it was understandable. Huginn had learned over the two years that frontliners were always risking their lives, so being on edge was a regular occurrence for them, but the boy wasn’t nearly strong enough to harm the man. “Stealth, but Felli likes to make that difficult for me.” He says, poking the familiar floating around him. “I did the math and the two handed assault spear does the most damage without needing to do a quest, and stealth makes it easier to not get hit, so I figured why not try to combine the two?” He pulls his hood up over his black hair, and he walks out into the field. Felli was having a field day messing with the boy who could be mistaken as goth.

As the grass crunched beneath the boy’s feet he begins to wonder something. “Why did you just now decide to do this quest? You’re high level so I would’ve assumed you’d have done this already.” He explains, thinking he was onto something, maybe even make a little conversation, but wasn’t expecting much.

Hikoru listened and nodded. Another Two-Handed Assault Spear user, but also stealth. It was a good combo, but he knew he would never be able to achieve that damage output. But, he was happy where he was, and his crits were lethal in many ways. And the Phase on his weapon only helped to prove the point. He turned as the young man asked why he had just decided to take the quest now. He just chuckled.

"Actually, I had taken this quest long ago, back when the game first started. I became a merchant and my aim was to be the best Merchant in Aincrad." He gave another sigh. "However, I grew bored, and I didn't enjoy my time as a Merchant. It was always trying to get the best things, but I was never successful..." He looked at Huginn. "So, i've finally decided to do something I wanted to do since I was little. I'm going to open a resturaunt. A nice place where players can come and relax. Plus, i'll have a fee if a Guild wants to use it and rent it out, and food will be provided, along with maybe me playing the piano in the background..." Hikoru's eyes seemed to glaze over a little, imagining what it would be like. He came back to reality a few moments after he was done talking. "Anyways, I need to start looking for materials." He said, as he started to scavenge for things that looked edible. He looked up into a tree and saw a juicy-looking apple. He smiled and picked it off the tree. It was a Tier 1 Material, but a material he could use no less. He gave a small smile and sighed. "Well, it's a start. A few more and I can go and try to cook something." He spoke, a little nervous.

ID: 118274 LD: 17+8= 25 Material Found! [1/5]

Shiro watched as the man grabbed a material and explained that he was once a merchant. The boy’s mind began to run with why he wanted to change. Then he mentions something about playing Piano and Shiro gets to thinking. “I play Violin and a touch of piano if you ever need anyone to play while you cook.” he explains, looking around and realizing the man probably needed to do this for himself. “I’d help, but I don’t know if this quest allows for that.” He says, Felli floating around his torso playfully as he talks. “Felicity helps me find stuff sometimes, and she helps me see at night.” He smiles, giving her a little pat. He smiles and looks at the dirt dropping down to sit in it. “But mostly she helps me kill things so I can level up.” He says.

He hadn’t mentioned that that had slowed down recently, and even though he still stayed up late every night to practice in the boonies, he couldn’t help but feel like if he was doing harder quests he’d be stronger. He was getting sluggish after a three night binge of hunting and killing, but what was he to do? Just let gap between the frontliners and the newbies grow? No, he was gonna try to bridge the gap and catch up to this man he was assisting.

Edited by Huginn

Hikoru saw yet another apple next to the one he had just picked. He grabbed that one as well, and pocketed it next to the other apple. He looked at the young Huginn, who had offered to play Violin at his shop when he opened. A small smile formed on the Front-liners lips. "If you would want to, i'd love the help. Perhaps you could help serve as well, or something like that. Who knows." He said with a small chuckle. He started to look around in he area. Apples were fine and dandy, but even his basic knowledge of cooking knew that you need multiple ingredients to create a recipe. He didn't see anything for now, but he knew it would only take a bit more walking to find something new.

"So, your familiar has unique abilities to help you out. Very strange indeed." He said with a small chuckle. "Sir Rolland, my familiar, was received from a raffle also. However, he never got anything that made him very.... unique, other than his sensation for candy." He said. "He took a bit of training to tame, but now I've taught him basic whistle commands, and he seems to understand my words. However, he doesn't seem to be able to talk, but he communicates through actions." He chuckled again. "And like you said, for awhile he made it difficult to be stealthy. Although, i'm sure like my familiar-," He held a small finger towards Huginn's familiar. "This little one can be too, and i'm sure it could be just as smart, if not smarter than Rolland." He said, and the Pumpkin familiar just grumbled and slapped Hikoru in the back with his thorny arm. Hikoru winced a little, but just chuckled. "Okay, okay... only a little smarter." He said, patting the pumpking's head. Sir Rolland gave a low purr of approval.

ID: 118277 LD: 13+8= 21 Material Found! [2/5]

The boy was watching on as the man found his second material. “The problem with serving food to people is I’m not... not very good at talking to people.” He explains, his mind moving back to the lady with black hair and how he has tried to talk to her a number of times, failing just about every time. Even worse was the purple haired girl who had taught him that speaking to people isn’t that hard. Gosh darn, I hate talking to people. He pulls his hood up and tilts his head. Something about this area keeps me on edge, but Felli seems to be comfortable. Huginn looks towards the man.

”Call for me when you’re done.” He leaps off the nearest rock, landing firmly in the tree. His eyes fall on the area as he surveys it. Nothing seems to stick out to him, but he still watches the area carefully. Stooping down and chewing on a stick he watches players that frequent the area walk around in search of mobs and materials, he watches them socialize and play around. A quick leap carries him to another branch, and he hears a conversation. One player was telling another about the quest where you fight the iron guardian thing. The other complains about being to weak and instead suggests the Avalanche quest.

I could ask Hikoru to help me on that quest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hikoru listened to Huginn's worry about serving food, and he nodded quietly. "Oh I understand. You wouldn't have to really do much though, just give them their menu's take their orders and then serve it. And if there are too many people, i'd come out to help serve." He said with an honest tone. "Plus, if we wanted to make it fun for you, we could try making roller blades on your feet so you could occupy yourself in the free time for stunts." He said with a sly smile. Hikoru hears him say call him when he's done, and he looks to see the kid had did his best to disappear from sight, albeit he could see him a ways away, it would have been hard to if he didn't have his Search skill. He just shook his head and started to look around, but couldn't find anything that he could use for his quest. He sighed and continued to move forwards, hoping that something juicy would show up on his radar.

ID: 118458 LD: 3+8=1 No Material!

• 1 month later...

Shiro smiles, chewing on the stick as he listens to the people talk. He climbs a bit higher and pulls out his violin for a moment, looking at the bow and the strings, thinking to himself. I could play up here. No one would hear me. No one would know. He puts the instrument under his chin and thinks. After a few second he pulls the bow across the strings and a calm quiet whine rings out. He had made the first note. As he continued to play, the tempo kept rising and falling, along with the volume. It was like he was painting a picture of a mountain range with music. He slows down the tempo, drawing out the last note a few minutes later before Felli comes up and floats around his head.

The small flame floats around his head and he begins to lose his balance, he falls to the side landing on a branch and he frowns as he falls the rest of the way. Landing upright, but his violin had fallen separate from him, and on the other side of his violin was a wolf. Shiro looked the wolf in the eye and he looks at the violin.

This is gonna be tiresome.