F17, SP <<Challenge of Olympus>>

Oscar woke from a deep slumber, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. Well, going through the motions, at least. He didn't have to worry about things like eye crust in the mornings in Aincrad. Whoever was taking care of his body in the real world had that humble duty. You would be surprised to know how many things that one did on reflex that didn't have any bearing on them in this digital world. He slowly swung his feet over the side of the bed and, steeling himself for the day, placed his feet upon the cool stone floor of his bedroom. He meandered down to his kitchen and began preparing something for breakfast.

That was when he noticed it.

An icon in his quest tracker. He opened his menu as he stuffed his face with toast and scrolled through the quest list. The details were scarce, but it was related to his profession. The quest merely told him to go to Floor 17. Ordinarily, Oscar wouldn't dare go so high up. But he figured anything to do with his profession wouldn't entail fighting monsters, so he was golden. After finishing his breakfast, he made sure all of his things were together and headed up.

Oscar snagged a teleport to Athenaia from Deepedge. He marveled at the Ancient Grecian theme of the floor. He always found the stone pillars and archways that were essentially invented by the Ancient Greeks aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. Oscar had never been to Greece, but seeing the Acropolis had been on his bucket list since he was a child. It would be the first thing he did when he got out of here. But, for now, this would have to do.

Oscar had barely stepped off the teleport platform before a strange creature appeared. It was humanoid, but with the legs and horns of a goat. Brown fur covered its body from head to toe. It looked at Oscar with bright blue eyes as a sly smile crossed its features. It approached Oscar, arms outstretched. His hand shot to his blade on instinct, thinking he was about to attack. The creature stopped its advance and looked at Oscar with an apologetic expression.

“Peace friend. I come in peace. I am Penthylos, the Satyr. I come to deliver a challenge unto you from the Goddess Hestia!”

Hestia? The Goddess of the Hearth? What type of challenge was Oscar to expect from a Goddess? Oscar looked quizzically at Penthylos, clearly confused by his words. Penthylos produced a scroll from a pouch on the belt that held up his loincloth. The yellowed paper gave a soft crackle as he unfurled it. The Satyr cleared his throat and looked down at the scroll.

“I, the Goddess Hestia, recognize the Cook Oscar’s ability. I challenge him to a Battle of Crafts. Come meet me at Mt Olympia if you accept my challenge. Should you prevail, I shall grant you a great treasure of the gods.”

Penthylos closed his scroll and placed it back on his belt. There was a notification in Oscar’s quest tracker. He opened his menu as the satyr looked at him expectantly. He was greeted by a new quest. <<The Challenge of Olympus>> had appeared in his tracker. Oscar thought for a moment. What, exactly, was a Battle of Crafts?

Edited by Oscar

It’s in the name genius.

It was clearly some sort of crafting challenge. Whatever this “great treasure” was supposed to be, he was almost certain that it would probably aid him in crafting. He was in a good spot as a Rank 4 Cook, but he certainly wouldn’t turn his nose up to more help in that domain. So, without another thought, he accepted the quest. This triggered Penthylos to continue the quest dialogue.

“Ah, you’re a brave one! Not many have the strength of will to meet the Goddess Hestia’s challenge! Allow me to be your guide, Oscar. I shall deliver you safely to Olympia. Follow me.”

The Satyr turned on his hooves and started off without another word. Oscar followed along behind him. The Satyr guided him through the hordes of monsters that stood between him and Mt Olympia. He was quite impressed by the AI assigned to the Satyr. He was able to find the perfect route, weaving in and out of the monsters’ aggro ranges instead of following a predetermined path.

Mt Olympia loomed large on the horizon, but thanks to Penthylos’ expert guidance, the trip didn’t take nearly as long as Oscar had expected. The Satyr stopped before a set of rough-hewn steps carved straight into the face of the mountain. He then turned and gave Oscar another sly grin.

“The Goddess awaits you at the top, Oscar. Best of luck to you!”

And like that, a polite bow, the Satyr was gone. Oscar looked up and shuddered. The mountain was far taller than he could have imagined. Through the clouds, Oscar couldn’t even see the summit of the mount. This would be a trial in and of itself. Climbing all the way to the top would likely take longer than it had taken to get here from his home on Floor Seven. He took a deep breath and exhaled forcefully. Nothing else to do but get started, one step at a time.

Literally.

So, he began to climb. The first few hundred feet weren’t so bad. But then he found that the stairs wound around the perimeter of the mountain, inclining gently. Dozens of miles stood between him and the top. It would be easier to climb.

“Hold on now.”

Oscar tried to grasp what looked like a handhold to life himself up to begin climbing up the side of the mountain. He jumped upward, hoping to pull himself up to a ledge just above his head. Unfortunately, it didn’t work. He hit an invisible wall and slid back down until his feet were firmly on the stairs again. Oscar groaned and pushed forward, each step harder than the last. It was a good thing this was a video game or else he’d be in real trouble. Even though he was in his prime out in the real world, a trek like this would probably kill him. He wasn’t an athlete after all.

Oscar needed a break. He felt like he’d been climbing for hours. And, judging from how high up he was now, that was probably true. He plopped down on the steps and stretched out, the burning in his calves almost immediately ebbing away as the pressure was removed. He could only imagine doing something like this in real life. He had a newfound respect for mountain climbers. This was ridiculous!

As he rested, he closed his eyes and enjoyed the cool wind on his face. Even though he still had so far to go, Oscar couldn’t help but take a moment and relax. All the thoughts and concerns that weighed heavy upon his mind melted away. His mind blank, his body was finally able to relax. He imagined that he would have quite the difficult trial ahead of him once he reached the summit. It was best that he get his mind right before trying to attempt it, lest he fail and have to make this journey all over again.

His eyes fluttered open and he was greeted with a clear blue sky. Everything seemed to be in better focus now. Colors seemed more vibrant. The sound of the wind, crisper. The now almost zen-like Oscar rose to his feet and continued up the stairs. As he approached the summit, things became a little easier. The were made of pure white marble and weren’t as steep as the ones below. He still had a long way to go, but at least his legs and back weren’t protesting as loudly.

The upper portion of the mountain seemed to be bathed in a golden light. He took this as a sign that he was getting closer. With his goal in sight, Oscar was reinvigorated. He took the steps with more gusto, sometimes dashing up two at a time. Soon enough, the Gates of Olympus stood tall before him. He placed his hands on his knees, doubled over to try and catch his breath. It was amazing that he still got winded in a video game.

His vision was blurring as he stared down at the alabaster marble tiles. Each tile as trimmed with gold filigree. Oscar was sure it form a mosaic of some sort, but he was too busy trying not to vomit to really make it out. The man gasped for air, struggling to stand from all the exertion. His stomach began to flip and he started dry heaving. Tears stung his eyes as he tried to void the contents of his stomach all over the tiles. Fortunately and unfortunately, he didn’t have one in this digital world. Once the dry heaving had abated, Oscar fell back on his rear and looked skyward. His face was red and his eyes were puffy. His “lungs” burned. Every inch of his body ached. At that moment he heard a voice, pleasant and calm like a harp string.

“Welcome, mortal. I am glad you answered my call.”

Oscar searched for the owner of the voice and saw a young maiden staring down at him. The first thing he noticed was how beautiful she was. He couldn’t remember ever seeing anyone that even approached her beauty. She gazed down at Oscar with a calm expression. Her welcoming smile melted his heart. He became keenly aware of the state he was in and hopped to his feet. This must be the Goddess Hestia. For only a Goddess could possess such otherworldly beauty.

He had to remind himself that this was a game and that she wasn’t actually “real.” But that smile made it a difficult task. He could lose himself in those eyes. But, in the end, common sense won out and he was finally able to speak. He met her gaze, still a little shaken and returned her smile. No sense not immersing himself to a responsible degree.

“Thank you for calling me, Goddess Hestia. You mentioned a challenge.”

The Goddess nodded and with a wave of her hand, summoned tables upon tables of different ingredients. Each table was piled high with meats, vegetables, fruits, and more. Just about any food you would wish to eat was here, ready to be prepared.

“I am the Goddess of the Hearth. I take care of the home, welcome visitors, and help hold together families. It is upon my Hearth that the family thrives, for I prepare the food that sustains the family. Your challenge is thus: Before the next sun rises, you must prepare a meal fit for the Gods. They are my family, but they fight and bicker too often. It is my duty to see to it that they come together to resolve their differences upon the Hearth of Olympia. Should you succeed in this task, young Cook, I shall grant you my favor forevermore. What say you to this challenge?”

A meal fit for the gods. All Oscar knew how to make was hot dogs. There was no way he could make something that rivals anything Hestia could prepare with a mere wave of her hand. But he didn’t come all this way not to try. Oscar mulled over the details of the challenge once more. He meditated on Hestia’s words. A key phrase stuck out to him.

It is my duty to see to it that they come together to resolve their differences upon the Hearth of Olympia.

She wanted to bring the gods together. To stop their bickering, at least for a time. He had misgivings about preparing hot dogs for the gods of Olympia. But those misgivings quickly washed away when he realized the true goal of the challenge. He would create the best hot dog buffet this world or the gods had ever seen!

“I accept your challenge, Hestia!”

Hestia looked overjoyed as Oscar set about getting to work. There weren’t any premade sausages he could use, but that was okay. The gods would accept nothing less than the best, so everything would be made from scratch. He found several slabs of pork and cut large chunks off of it. Then, he put them through the grinder, and filled tubes with the ground pork. He made an absolutely mammoth number of sausages. He wasn’t exactly sure how much the gods would eat.

Once the first hundred were done, Oscar focused his attention on the buns. He had more than enough flour, milk, and eggs to make the bread, but each individual bun would need to be hand-crafted and molded to the correct shape. Then they would need to be baked, one at a time, to insure that absolutely none of them burned. He figured he would need to total of two hundred buns and sausages. By the time the first half of the buns were complete, the sun had already begun to set. He needed to hurry.

There was nothing large enough to cook so many sausages on. So, Oscar had to get creative. He skewered each of the sausages and set them to cook inside the roaring fire that was the Hearth of Olympia. The dogs sizzled and spat grease into the flames, which only made them burn that much hotter. He was able to cook ten at a time, each load taking just enough time to cook as it took him to skewer ten more. Finally, he had a working system.

The buns, however, couldn’t be rushed. A load of five took at least ten minutes in the oven. Anymore and they’d take too long, any fewer and he wouldn’t get done in time. The sun had completely set by the time Oscar got to grinding the second half of the pork. But, he’d found his stride and was more efficient now. Hopefully, that would make up for lost time.

Oscar worked feverishly through the night, stuffing sausages and preparing buns. As each sunrise approached, Oscar worked more feverishly. He was like a man possessed, a culinary whirlwind. But despite his haste, he took the time to make sure everything was just so. Anything out of place would be deemed unworthy and he couldn’t have that. The sausages finished before the buns, so Oscar began to assemble the dogs upon a great bronze plate that sat next to the Hearth. The flames would keep the food warm for the duration of the challenge.

The first 100 dogs were plated and ready to be served to the gods. Each was made to perfection, elegant in their simplicity. They were individually plated with care, forming an incomplete pyramid of meat and bread. The buns coming out of the oven, prepared dough taking their place. When they cooled, a sausage was nestled in the center and added to the pile. It was just a few more hours until sunrise, but it looked like he would make it!

Oscar didn’t have much time left and he had to get the toppings finished. First, was the chili. He ground up chunks of prime steak and added it to a pot with scratch-made tomato sauce, diced red and green peppers, and onions. He let it simmer in a large pot in front of the hearth while he focused on other ingredients. He diced a mountain of onions and set them in a massive bowl next to the pyramid of dogs. Cole slaw was then prepared. Oscar used only the freshest cabbage and scratch-made mayonnaise with a hint of vinegar. He grated a large block of cheese as well, in case any of the gods had a taste for it.

Each of the toppings were arranged in bowls around the soon-to-be completed pyramid of hot dogs. Oscar added the last hot dog to the top of the pyramid and stepped back, basking in the perfection of his creation just as the sun crept over the horizon.

“So what is it you’ve made, mortal?”

Hestia had watched over him the entire time, silently observing his methods and practices. She looked rather puzzled at the mountain of sausage Oscar had created. He smiled and grabbed one from the pyramid and piled it high with all of the toppings before offering it to the goddess.

“This is a hot dog. Each one is its own self-contained meal. You had mentioned that it was your duty to bring together the Olympians so that they may forget their petty differences for a time. So I kept that in mind with this preparation. It’s a buffet of hot dogs. It makes people come together as they serve themselves. They may bicker at first, but with good food and drink to distract them, they will come together as you wish to enjoy a meal together as a family.”

Hestia took the hot dog from Oscar, casting a wary eye over it.

Then she took a bite.

“My word! This is delicious! The flavors! The texture! It’s like nothing I’ve ever eaten before!”

Oscar beamed with pride. He was happy to deliver a new experience to such an ancient being, even if they weren’t actually the goddess Hestia. She took tentative bites of the dog, which caused Oscar to frown.

“My lady, traditionally, a hot dog is to be consumed in no less than five bites. I fear you won’t get the proper experience if you only take dainty ones. This is not a food for a formal gathering.”

Hestia nodded and on her next bite took a large chunk out of the dog. Her mouth too full to speak, all she could do was chew as the flavors blended together in her mouth. Her eyes lit up and a smile stretched across her lips.

“Well done mortal. This has surpassed all of my expectations. Come, my kin will be here soon. They will want to meet with the one who has prepared this delicious feast.”

One by one, the gods arrived at the gates. As they did, they immediately began to bicker with one another. Oscar didn’t want to draw their attention for fear their ire might also be directed towards him. Instead, he waited for them all to gather and for Hestia to get their attention. She captured their gazes with a raised and and then passed the floor to Oscar. Apparently he was supposed to have a speech prepared.

Oh well, time to wing it.

He stepped forward and cleared his throat, ready each of the deities boring holes into his body.

“Gods and Goddesses of Olympia! I have prepared a feast for you today. Hot dogs, a delicacy from my native lands. Each is its own meal and should be piled with whatever toppings you wish. I hope you all enjoy what I’ve made for you. And if you don’t, please be gentle when you smite me.”

They all rushed forward, grabbing at the dogs and toppings. They pushed and shoved one another. That is until they each took their first bite. Oscar watched as the animosity faded from their faces and they lost themselves in the delicious food in front of them. Pretty soon, they were laughing and cavorting, sharing food and drink and stories among themselves.

Eventually, the gods and goddesses had eaten their fill. They quickly fell asleep from the combination of full bellies and strong wine. Hestia looked pleased and turned her attention to Oscar. She pulled a spark from the hearth and offered it to the cook with a smile on her face.

“Congratulations, mortal. You have passed my challenge. It does my heart good to see my family behaving like family from time to time. So here, take my flame with you. So long as you possess it, you will bear my blessing. This flame will make you more deft at your craft.”

Oscar took the flame in his hands, surprised that it was cool to the touch. He gave Hestia a thankful smile as he pocketed it. <<Hestia’s Flame>> was added to his inventory. Oscar nodded his thanks and, with that, he headed for the stairs. It was a long way home and he needed to get started.