[SP-F7] Bushido

He remembered visiting this place with Lessa some number of months prior. Their visit was eventful, filled with aggressive monsters that seemed to want to have their fill of him until the stronger of the pair unleashed her skills and fended them off. Genji had learned his lesson after several such encounters, thanked the woman for her time, and decided to come back on his own at another time.

During the time since then, he had trained himself to be more powerful, to the point where he could make the ascent alone, and he had done his research. Many players sought to wield single handed weapons for their quickness and because they paired well with shields. He had no such preferences.

Born Japanese and near obsessed with the Samurai, there was not a better weapon for the youth to seek. His skill was here, hidden within the Temple of Three, although the puzzle was one few had solved, and information brokers had never been able to get those who had some so to loosen their lips on the matter.

So here he sat, seiza, and stared at on three sides by separate statues. Their names were involved somehow with Buddhist mythos, or something like that, as he recalled, and dealt with the philosophies of Siddhartha during his time on Earth. The pacifistic tenets of that ideology sometimes were reflected, albeit paradoxically, in the Code of Bushido.

Contrary to most cultures, the word Samurai did not mean "warrior." It meant "One who Serves," or "to Serve." His duty was to his Lord, and to the People. He sought to find peace within all things, even at the heart of conflict. That was what Genji meditated on now. The nature of Bushido.

The Way of the Samurai.

Edited by Genji

The distinct, bitter flavor of incense wafted across his tongue as Genji snapped back to reality. The clock had ticked several hours away as he considered the secrets that this temple kept hidden, but he only grew weary. "Ah, hello there," greeted a gruff man who entered from behind as Genji started to stand. "It isn't often I find anyone else here than the old man, and he doesn't talk much."

Genji recognized him immediately as an NPC, but there was something else about him that seemed different. His level value was set to where players too low could not determine it, which meant that if Genji attacked him, there was a chance that he could become aggressive. Thankfully, he had no designs about that. "Ah, yes," the silver haired youth smiled softly. "I came seeking answers regarding the secrets of this Temple."

"Ah yes, the story of the hero and the beast?" He chuckled, "you want to know about what happened to him? Or are you seeking to challenge the beast?"

Genji bowed respectfully as he looked the NPC up and down, uncertain how either response would move the conversation forward. He imagined that the answer about the beast might take him toward a fight that would be well above his luck.

"I came to learn," he answered, "and I heard that the hero was incredibly skilled. His story might help me on my way."

Well, I can't claim to know much about the hero himself, but I do know something. He was a wanderer from a far away land, and he wielded a blade unlike anyone had ever seen. The style has become popular among blacksmiths since, but few people actually know anything about how to wield it- perhaps you've heard of the "Katana?"

"Once or twice, perhaps," Genji answered modestly, albeit with a smirk. "There's not too many adventurous types who know much about weapons you can't start off with. Actually, I'm quite interested in that. Can you tell me more?"

"About the Katana? Well, actually, I'm not the one who you should ask. The old man, once upon a time, knew a thing or two about weapons. If you ask nicely, he might be able to show you something about what you're looking for."

Genji blinked. The blind, mute old groundskeeper? He looked to the unassuming old man with some skepticism, then back toward the NPC. "You're certain?"

"If you'll excuse me, I'm only able to stay for a short time today," the odd figure bowed and excused himself. "Maybe we'll meet again?" Genji bowed one last time as the man disappeared through the front doors and was gone without a trace.

"Well," the young man moved toward the old groundskeeper and bowed respectfully. "My apologies, Jiisan," he greeted, "the stranger who just left told me that you might be able to teach me more about the Katana. Can you really?"