[F1-SP] To Catch a Cat -- <<Feeding your Enemy>>

Today, it was raining on the first floor.

Ren stretched, exhausted from lazing about her workshop all day. Isolated from the crowd of players in inns, she had been resting in it, too comfortable to move. Hey, it was likely cheaper to afford, too. The weather was just too good, it would be well suited for a nap...

Ren sighed, setting aside her journal and pen, and getting up. No, no. This wouldn't do. It's best to keep my momentum up.

One equipment session later, and Ren stepped outside into the pouring rain. It was a lovely day outside, assuming the downpour was in your favour. For Ren, the water seeped into her armor, sticking to her skin irritatingly. It definitely didn't help that she donned heavy combat gear, either... Perhaps this was a day she should just turn in for.

...No, let's set that aside for now.

Heading out to the main road, there happened to be a caravan parked outside the alleys. This... wasn't here before. Through her eyes, Ren caught a glimpse of the quest marker, indicating someone was on the inside. On the side, there were a flight of steps leading up to a door. Hung upon it, a damp wooden sign; "Monster Tamer inside".

... Monster tamer?

Spoiler

NIGHT 
Lv: 3 | HP: 60 | EN: 6
DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 | ACC: - | EVA: -
SP: 7 | Col: 2,980

[Skills]

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 1/5
  2. - - -

[Equipment]

• [T1E0] Standard-Issue Greatsword
  • [T1E2] Standard-Issue Heavy Armor
    -- [ Mitigation I | + 9 MIT ]
    -- [ Thorns I | Successful non-critical attacks against you deal (9 per slot * Tier) unmitigated damage to the attacking enemy. Only activates on damage dealing, melee attacks. ]
  • [T1E2] Breath of the Fields
    "TRINKET: A small cylindrical glass bottle, with a bed of moss and a leaf-folded crane in it. Made to be worn like a pendant."
    -- [ Prosperity | +1 to the base multiplier when receiving col from killing an enemy. ]
    -- [ Recovery | Regain 1 additional energy on natural CD rolls of 6+. ]

- - - - - -

• Starter Healing Potions (3) --- Heals 50 HP.

[Misc]

• Aincrad Trading Post Guild Membership
    -- [ ATP Guild Bonus | +5% more col from killed mobs, +10% col from treasure chests. ]
Edited by NIGHT

An additional sign was hung slightly below the first. "Knock if you're interested".

So Ren knocked.

As the door opened, a frail old woman greeted her, a hunch on her back and a wolf by her side, sniffing the rain curiously. With lean hands put together, the woman asked, "Yes, dearie?"

"Um, your sign said 'Monster Tamer inside'," Ren started, anxious. "And I was curious? So--"

"--Ah, I understand, my dear." She smiled, her wrinkles pulled together pleasantly. As she continued speaking, she pet her smaller companion on its head. "Yes, I am a monster tamer. I assume you're interested in taming a monster too?"

Ren's thoughts swirled, caught off guard. "Sorry... Did you say I could tame a monster too?"

The old lady tilted her head in response. "Isn't that why you came here?"

"I... I didn't know..."

Her eyes glimmered, having seen a new novice to the world. "Well then," she spoke, grinning. "We have much to talk about. Ah," she opened the door, as her wolf friend stepped behind her, revealing a cozy interior and a red carpet. "Would you like to step in for a chat? I can only imagine how uncomfortable it must be standing out in the rain..."

Ren hesitated for a moment, before stepping inside.

Edited by NIGHT

Settled on an arm chair with some hot tea, Ren felt like dozing off yet again. She'd unequipped her armor and gone back to casual clothes, sparing the lady's wooden floor from being drenched by rain water. The wolf laid at her feet, fuzzy and warm, and for a brief moment, Ren wondered where the heat inside the caravan was coming from, but decided against asking it.

As the lady returned with a kettle full of tea and an empty cup, Ren felt it polite to shift herself upright again. "So," she began, pouring out her beverage on a low wooden table. "Let me first begin by telling you a story..."

--Wait, is this what she thought it was going to be?

"A-ah, it's okay--!" Ren exclaimed knowingly, leaning forward. Her words had the wolf alarmed, looking over in concern. "I really don't want to trouble you or anything!"

"Oh nonsense, it's no trouble at all! Now, where was I..?" As the lady settled into her chair, she nodded, smiling. "Ah, yes, my childhood stories..."

Ren squeezed uncomfortably into her chair, with a sour look on her face. Noooo.... I didn't think--

"-- about monster taming!" The old lady giggled, radiant. "Oh, how I loved taking care of these creatures, big and small... Ah~"

"..."

Ren settled back into her chair, a little more relaxed this time. Okay, maybe it's not as bad as I'd thought it was going to be...

"Now, back when I was your age," she started, "Or maybe when I was even younger! I used to play in the woods, and got myself into all sorts of trouble."

"And one day, I was running through the forest. I ended up tripping over what I thought was a stick, but was actually a really big snake! It hissed at me, louder than anything I'd ever heard in my life at the time, and I backed away! But he didn't even approach me. In fact, he let me come near him, though he was hissing and spitting like nothing I've heard before. And you know what? I found out what it was doing there, stuck in the middle of the open field -- he was badly bruised..."

"I did what my heart felt right. It could've swallowed me whole, but I knew I couldn't just leave it there. So I ran home and got- hehe - a small medkit I'd assembled for myself out of papers and sticks - haha - and I roped in a few of my other friends to join in too!" The lady chuckled heartily, taking a long sip from her cup.

"By the end of the day, all of us had made a new friend. Of course, we couldn't keep him, but that's what really got me interested into the monster taming business. Of course, I'm not claiming to be an expert on the subject, but I do advise anyone I meet to give it a shot. There's nothing much to lose if you start out small -- a few pieces of food or kibble, maybe..."

"... But most importantly, if you care to take away anything from this," she gestured, raising her cup over to her wolf. "Out of all of this, I've made a lot of friends."

She took another sip of her tea, leaving Ren to sit in silent contemplation for a bit.

# asdfghjkl; dont mind the double posting in quick succession; i had them written out beforehand because i wanted the old lady's dialogue to be pretty long winded tbh

• 2 weeks later...

Friends, huh?

"Well?" The lady asked, leaning forward with a cup raised. "You looked like you were in deep thought. Care to share them?"

Ren nodded slightly, cup of tea in hand. "I think... I've always wanted friends." She closed her eyes, contemplating. "Getting to know people and helping others... they're what drive me forward, as much as I hate to admit it." Her fingers fidgeted where the cup handle met its lip. "If I were given the chance..."

The player took a sip, before looking back at the lady. "I'd love to make a new one."

There was one more prompt from the woman, though. In her eyes, Ren felt she caught another glint of questioning.

'Even if they're not human?'

The girl was lost at the subtle proposition, and even thought it to be a trick of the light. Eventually, however, she managed to steel her gaze. I don't know what you're getting at, but...

'I'll do my best.'

The tense silence was finally broken, with the old lady smiling back at her, as though nothing had happened. "That's what I'd like to hear.

"Wait here."

That was the lady's instruction to Ren, as the player finished her drink. When the former had returned, in her hand was a box -- of kibble.

Ren started to feel cold sweat run down her back profusely.

The girl was hesitant to refer to the creatures the woman had befriended as pets. Surely, someone who seemed to be so respectful to animals won't assume them to be like that in this world... right? Save for the idea that... they, by meta, should mechanically act the same...

Pushing the spiraling thought out her mind, she stepped out of the cozy armchair to approach the lady. "Here," she said, offering the box to her. "Take this. Now I'm loaning this to you," she started, waggling her finger, "so don't you use up the whole box."

Use the kibble..?

"If you're absolutely sincere about your words, I want you," and she pointed at Ren, "to find a friend, right this instant."

T-That's kinda scary! Right now?!

A quick blip from the corner of her screen reaffirmed the idea of 'Right Now', and Ren could only stammer out an, "O-Okay...?"

"Now, you should start with something small," the lady continued. "Like a fox, or a dog! Definitely not a big snake, no, no no..."

Almost unconciously, it appeared that the woman was ushering -- no, pushing Ren towards the door of the caravan. "It was lovely talking to you, dearie," she mentioned, before Ren found herself tripping down the wooden steps, crashing onto the stone floor of town in the midst of the downpour. "Come back to me when you've made a new friend, alright? I'd love to see how they look like!"

With a giggle, some squeaks, and a click, the door shut behind her, and Ren was left in the rain to pick herself -- and her kibble -- up.

Edited by NIGHT

"I can't believe it's still raining..."

Ren had picked up the kibble and headed back to her workshop, having needed to dry off and take in the situation fully. Tossing the towel onto the sofa, she looked over the kibble box, now damp and difficult to work with. Ren sighed, and returned the item to her inventory. It was sure to restore itself, the player figured with confidence.

With that out of the way, Ren took a look at her workshop, one last check for anything out of place before she headed back out again. Between the wooden walls, floor and empty seats...

... The place does look a little lonely.

Ren looked back at the open menu, staring at the kibble box and giving her 'new companion' another thought. Something -- no, someone small, huh? Maybe someone to help around the shop with. Someone to talk to. Someone to provide company when she just wanted to be alone.

A wave of a hand and the menu shifted to her equipment, where Ren outfitted herself in her standard gear, before heading back into the rain, ready to find someone new.

Who should she be seeking out though..?

That was her first thought upon exiting her shop. The rain was as relentless as it was earlier, but Ren was too fixated on her thoughts to acknowledge it. Strolling down the streets again (and careful to avoid the caravan...) she tried making a list of tiny critters that she would be keen on meeting.

• Dog

• Fox

• Ferret?

• Cat

• Crow? Raven?

She paused, almost forgetting her collection. Did otherworldly creatures count? Ren had always been a fan of fantasy, of dark and dangerous monsters, usually. But, for the sake of a friend, she tried to recall a few nice ones.

• Tsuchinoko

• Generic? Ghost

• Hellhound?

• Slime

• Some kind of tree spirit?

Oh -- realization hit her at that last one. She definitely had to take into account the environment these creatures could be living in. Since mythological creatures were a little harder to pin down their sizes for, maybe she should stick with more conventional animals instead.

... But I really think a tsuchinoko would make a super cute companion..

She'd ended up taking the northern road. The thunder boomed over her as she stepped out to the outskirts of town, bugs and critters taking shelter from the downpour. Ren thought once about giving chase to them, but with her soggy armor, decided against it. That, and the enemies she would be fighting were less than ideal in general.

On the other hand, she was still debating what kind of companion she should try to find.

... Maybe I should just let fate decide, Ren eventually thought, walking the dirt -- now muddy -- path. Then she smirked to herself. Yeah, right. I doubt I would be okay with being thrown any kind of creature at my face.

Ren sneezed. It was getting rather cold out in the rain. Out in the fields, the wind contributed to her shivering. Maybe she should go somewhere more sheltered. With that thought, she headed over west, attempting to take refuge in the nearby forest

Ren could only sigh as she stopped after bolting into the woods. Leaning against a tree, she wondered how anyone would be able to run into an animal at this rate. The rain must've scared most of the creatures into hiding by now. She squatted, not wanting to touch the dirt, but her gaze went to the forest floor anyway.

Tracks... would've already been washed away by the rain. Scratches on the tree bark...? ...Probably belonging to pretty big animals.

"..."

If she had to wait in the rain for a creature to show up, she would. Ren didn't want to sit on a given quest for too long, given that she could easily forget about it. And having a creature to accompany her would be more than welcome.

Silently, in the dark, Ren began to pick at the leaves on the floor, rummaging through them as she sat with her lonely thoughts.

ID: 128539 | LD: 3 | Fail (Material Search)

Edited by NIGHT

A sudden growling came to her left.

Turning to look, she spotted a large black bear lumbering towards her.

Well, that guy doesn't seem friendly.

Rising from her position probably wasn't the best thing to do, but Ren wasn't about to put herself at the mercy of a passing bear. Drawing her sword as she got up, the bear began to charge at her, and so she swung her blade.

-- Ping!

With a jolt, she sprung forward, cutting the side of the bear with her sword. In return, her opponent gave her a nasty chomp on the side of her shoulder. Sliding to a halt caused her to kick up some dirt, and she turned to stand upright again, facing the hostile creature.

A quick glance at the trees around her told her she had entered its territory. Exposed bark from claw marks were ingrained in a handful of trees.

Guess I should've been more careful...

ID: 128545 | BD: 10 | MD: 9
<<Straight>> vs Bear.
4 + 2 = 6 DMG | 6 * 2 = 12 DMG

Bear attacks NIGHT!
9 + 1 = 10 DMG | 10 - 9 = 1 DMG

Bear | HP: 18/30 (-12) | DMG: 9 

NIGHT | HP: 59/60 (-1) | EN: 4/6 (+1, -2) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 |

Edited by NIGHT

Well, I'm not dying here if I can help it.

One short swing of her blade to challenge the bear. One moment's pause for the large animal to charge again. One quick shift to return to her battle stance.

One delayed second to realize the system wasn't going to work with her.

As the bear leapt into the air, Ren ducked, and got into a roll on the floor. Her opponent landed, the ground underneath it reverberating violently, shaking the girl off her balance as she stumbled in trying to get up. Ren fell to the floor yet again, trying to stick her sword in the mud.

The bear looked around clumsily, unaware of the state of its victim. This gave Ren the time to get back up, with some extra seconds to wipe off the grime from her armor. When it finally decided to turn, Ren was ready, holding her sword in front of her in a defensive position.

ID: 128549 | BD: 5 | MD: 5 | CD: 2
NIGHT missed!

Bear missed!

Bear | HP: 18/30 | DMG: 9 

NIGHT | HP: 59/60 | EN: 3/6 (+1, -2) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 |

Edited by NIGHT

A quick charge from the bear was probably intended to knock Ren down. Instead, she held her stance from the blow, pushing against her enemy in resistance. A splatter of mud and rainwater crossed her face, and she gritted her teeth, trying not to think about it. Eventually, the creature withdrew, backing off to try and claw at Ren.

Her movements were faster though. One quick draw of her blade to the side, and a flash of light blinded the bear, causing her to speed forth and cut her opponent from the underbelly to the side. Tumbling, she heaved her sword to help her out of her final position.

The bear let out a visceral roar, planting its two front paws on the ground after rising for a blow. It turned, knowing its opponent better now, and Ren came into view, comedically wiping off the mud from her face -- and her armor -- once more.

ID: 128554 | BD: 6 | MD: 3 | CD: 6
> Recovery was activated. (+1 EN)
<<Straight>> vs Bear.
4 * 2 = 8 DMG

Bear missed!

Bear | HP: 10/30 (-8) | DMG: 9 

NIGHT | HP: 59/60 | EN: 3/6 (+1, +1, -2) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 

Edited by NIGHT

I need to get a helmet one of these days, Ren thought to herself, wiping away the mud on her face. She didn't understand how rain could be so annoying -- and uncleansing -- when it was just water. Distracted, she hadn't noticed the shadow of the figure behind her, with a paw raised ---

"...?!"

An immediate strike sent Ren flying into a tree, a harsh shock running through her back, if not all parts of her body, as she fell to the floor unceremoniously, exposing the claw marks on the tree she had covered up. So much for wiping off the dirt...

Getting back up, she looked to the sky, wondering if the rain would wash away the grime on her face. Some of it came off, and she picked at the large portions that wouldn't -- wood shavings and bits of leaves. The bear came charging back after her soon, though, and Ren's attention hazily went to it, her movements shaky as she pointed her sword towards it.

ID: 128559 | BD: 5 | MB: 10 | CD: 6
NIGHT missed!

Bear attacks NIGHT!
9 + 2 = 11 DMG | 11 - 9 = 2 DMG

Bear | HP: 10/30 | DMG: 9 

NIGHT | HP: 57/60 (-2) | EN: 3/6 (+1, +1, -2) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 

Edited by NIGHT

The sword pointing did nothing to help Ren. The bear rushed at her with abandon, and scooped the player up in its jaws, sinking its teeth down onto Ren -- and her armor.

In the chaos, she'd dropped her sword, clinging onto the bear for her dear life. It eventually dropped her, howling in pain, and she rolled onto the forest floor, screaming along with it. Its teeth may have sank only into the armor, and Ren wasn't harmed, no.

But she was terrified.

In her shaky vision, she tried to find her weapon again, glancing at the bear that was pacing around, checking its jaw in shock. If things could bleed in this game, Ren would've been in way more trouble than she'd expected, being out in the wild like this.

Her fingers eventually found the hilt of her blade. Dragging it close, she tried to angle it into the ground to help herself up, stumbling along with every action taken.

ID: 128560 | BD: 3 | MD: 7 | CD: 11
NIGHT missed!

Bear attacks NIGHT!
9 - 9 = 1 DMG
> Thorns activated for 9 DMG.

Bear | HP: 1/30 (-9) | DMG: 9 

NIGHT | HP: 56/60 (-1) | EN: 3/6 (+1, +1, -2) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 

Edited by NIGHT

When she recovered, the bear was still lumbering around, gruffly sniffing and panting in pain.

Good. Good, I need the advantage.

In one smooth but slow motion, she raised the blade up to her cheek, with half lidded eyes that spoke with violence and exhaustion.

She closed them, if only to brace herself from the light coating her blade once again. As she was propelled forward, she spun, using her body weight to shift the sword above her. Skidding towards the bear's butt, she let her momentum fall, sending her sword to crash down, edge first, down the back of the creature. It howled, as Ren sank the sword further down mercilessly, before the system pushed her along onto the floor, tumbling and rolling to a stop.

In the corner of her eye, she saw the scatter of bright shards drifting away, blocked only by trees and the pouring of rain.

... I need a nap...

ID: 128563 | BD: 7
<<Straight>> vs Bear.
4 * 2 = 8 DMG

Bear | HP: -7/30 (-8) | DMG: 9 

NIGHT | HP: 56/60 | EN: 2/6 (+1, -2) | DMG: 4 | MIT: 9 

Loot:
> Prosperity I is active.
> ATP Guild Bonus is active.
ID: 128564 | LD: 20 | CD: 2
+252 col, [T1E3] Unidentified Perfect Consumable, [T1E2] Unidentified Rare Trinket

Edited by NIGHT

Ren got up anyway, after a moment's rest. The smell of earth and water was calming, but not when your face was literally in it. Taking a moment to clean herself up, she sheathed her sword, stretched, and began to take a look around the forest.

No point taking a break like that if there's going to be enemies jumping at me when I try, she thought.

The torrent of rain was surprisingly calming -- and cooling too. Ren felt herself feel rejuvenated after the fight, just by looking up at the rain pour around her. Her skin was definitely soaked, by now, but the lack of harsh winds was definitely a boon in these trying times.

She took a careful glance around the forest floor. No signs of creatures near by, and she would've agreed -- the sound of combat was something even she'd like to stay away from. It was all she could do but to trudge onwards, hoping to find a creature of kin.

ID: 128566 | LD: 9

Edited by NIGHT

Ren had found no other animals so far, and with that bear attack, she didn't exactly want to see a face so soon either. She gazed up at one of the trees, taking shelter underneath it for a moment. Maybe next time she should climb one of them to take a quick break, away from the company of bears and other predators.

... I'd need to learn how to climb a tree first, though. This game doesn't have a designated skill for that, right...?

Taking a deep breath, Ren began clambering at the tree, trying to figure out how to climb it. No such luck for this beginner, though, as she fell to the ground soon after. In defeat, she watched the rain fall from leaf to leaf, dripping from the trees and onto the earth.

I could stay like this, she thought. Become the earth. Grow as a mushroom.

She didn't, and instead made her way further into the forest.

ID: 128568 | LD: 9

Edited by NIGHT

Nothing yet. Perhaps it was all of the loud noises she'd been making that were scaring these woodland creatures away. Without her armor, however, she was more than hesitant to even venture outside of town.

This time, Ren was making her way through the woods, as she was wont to do. Then out of the corner of her eye, she spotted a name tag belonging to a player.

<<Bahr>>

-- Huh? Who would be out here in the middle of the rain? Ren hypocritically thought, watching the tag move across her screen. Then she saw him, sprinting from behind the trees.

He fell.

In a seemingly impossible flurry of mud and rain water, the man, dressed up in red, fell face first, a loud exclamation ringing through the forest. Ren stared on in disgust and exhaustion -- for the environment his face was in, and in light of his potential for scaring away the animals.

Maybe it wasn't me. Maybe it was him after all.

ID: 128569 | LD: 1

Edited by NIGHT

Ren watched the player take off in the opposite direction she was heading, before resuming her journey. Resolving to be even quieter than before, she tried avoiding the puddles on the ground, stepping (unfortunately) on dirt. Slowing her breathing, she tried listening carefully for any other signs of movement around her.

... There was. But she didn't even need to slow down to see it.

Up ahead of her, a small, black cat was bounding quick, stepping into puddles and getting itself soaked. As soon as the absolute baby cat took notice of Ren, it quickly ran over to her, tail waving curiously and eyes shining so, so bright with amazement and wonder.

Ren squatted down, trying to get a closer look at the cat. It was all Ren could do, against her innate wishes to freak out and run towards it immediately. That.. would probably scare the small being more than intended.

It graciously stepped up to her feet, sniffing eagerly to find out what this player was.

ID: 128572 | LD: 20

Edited by NIGHT
BRO IM POGGING SO HARD RIGHT NOW YOU CANT BELIEVE IT