[F01 - PP] Strange Relations <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>>

Yukiro had come to the large water fountain as per Lonzo's request. He had to admit, he wasn't sure how many would actually show up, but there were a lot of people. It was also a pleasant surprise to see that everyone here was someone he recognized.
Lonzo, of course, was standing by the water fountain, flirting with the others who'd shown up. Koga was here, which meant that Noctua was probably here too. Yeah, there she is. Noctua was next to Koga, avoiding Lonzo's flirts. Nora was to Lonzo's other side. 
Yukiro was standing a little way off, leaning against a building, observing the group. It seemed like they had a full party. He couldn't join if he wanted too. He decided to slip away and go complete the quest before them. He'd apologize later. 
He turned, planning to leave town without anyone else noticing. It was then he noticed another player walking to the group's meeting. 
"Ni--" he cut himself off. Things had been awkward between them lately. He figured it might be better to let her join the others. Besides, being around him would only hurt her further.
Sorry, he inwardly apologized to his friends, And sorry, Night.
With that, he slipped down the street and out of town.

@NIGHT

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little late to the party, she thought, hustling past the few players walking the main road. There was a request to join another player on one of the beginning quests; Secret Medicine of the Forest, if she recalled correctly. NIGHT hadn't actually expected any other players to show up for the meet, but the sight puzzled her instead. Slowing her jog down to a brisk walk, she looked around, noticing two strangers and two friends. Full party.

But... wasn't there someone else missing? If she recalled, Yukiro had also been interested in joining them, but he wasn't here. Was he late too?

... Maybe it's because I also thought to join, huh?

Shaking her head, she scanned her surroundings instead. Things might've been awkward between them since their last encounter, but that wasn't going to stop her from being friends with him. How upset would he still be about it, anyway? It's been a while, maybe he'd have lightened up by now.

"Ni-"

?

She'd heard that. She'd spent enough time with him to recall his voice. Her attention shot over towards a building in the distance, and a streak of blue with a mop of brown dashed out behind another.

... That had to be him, right? Why was he fleeing--

-- that idiot--!

Tightening her hands into fists, she made a mad dash after him, attempting to catch up to him.

Spoiler

NIGHT 
Lv: 6 | HP: 120 | EN: 12
DMG: 4 | MIT: 17 | ACC: 2 | EVA: -

RECOVERY: 2 | THORNS: 1
SP: 13 | Col: 4,245

[Skills]

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 1/5
  2. Heavy Armor | Passive | RANK 1/5
  3. - - -

[Examine]

• [T1E3] Jack's Executioner
    "WEAPON: A black greatsword with a rusty texture. The rain guard appears to be larger and has more spikes along its side than necessary. Along its bevels at the center are streaks of orange, befitting of Halloween."
    -- [ Burn I | Natural critical attack rolls of 9/10 deal 12 unmitigated burn damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. This effect does not stack, but can be refreshed. A hit must occur to activate the status condition. ]
    -- [ Blight I | Natural critical attack rolls of 9/10 deal 12 unmitigated blight damage each enemy turn for 2 turns. This effect does not stack, but can be refreshed. A hit must occur to activate the status condition. ]
    -- [ Cursed | This item cannot be traded to another player or leave the player's inventory. If two players are married with a Cursed item in their shared inventory, either player may access the item. This item automatically adjusts its Tier to the player it's equipped to. ]
  • [T1E2] Standard-Issue Heavy Armor
    -- [ Mitigation I | + 9 MIT ]
    -- [ Thorns I | Successful non-critical attacks against you deal 9 unmitigated damage to the attacking enemy. Only activates on damage dealing, melee attacks. ]
  • [T1E2] Cross-hair Lapel Pin
    "TRINKET: A crimson pin with a golden trim, one out of a few, made for the collar. It's shaped into a cross-hair."
    -- [ Accuracy II | +2 BD when attacking. Cannot be used to cause a critical hit. ]
  • [T1E2] Reinforced Crystal-streaked Ear Cuffs
    "TRINKET: A long, smooth and wrapping silver ear cuff, with a thick blue crystalline streak running across it. Much more durable than its counter part."
    -- [ Recovery II | Regain 2 additional energy on natural CD rolls of 6+. ]

- - - - - -

• Starter Healing Potions (3) --- Heals 50 HP.
  • [T1] Uncommon Health Potions (5) --- Heals 40 HP.
  • [T1] Damage Potion (1) --- +1 DMG for the duration of 1 thread.
  • [T1] Over-health Potion (1) --- Provides a 'shield' of 50 HP on top of your maximum health for the duration of 1 thread.

[Misc]

• Aincrad Trading Post Guild Membership
    -- [ ATP Guild Bonus | +5% more col from killed mobs, +10% col from treasure chests. ]

Edited by NIGHT

Yukiro ran out of town. He hadn't heard anybody calling him, so he must've made it out without being noticed. Slowing his pace a bit, he started to favor a speed for distan--
Oi. What's that sound? Oi. Isn't that the sound of someone running?
Wait. That wasn't him making that sound.
All it took was the briefest glance behind him to know what was happening. 
Night!
He automatically slowed to a brisk walking pace. 
"..."
He waited for her to get closer before saying anything. And when he did speak it came out colder than he intended.
"... Why are you following me? The others are back there," he stated. He didn't turn or slow down as he spoke; he simply maintained a walking pace just faster than Night could hold. 
His sword, worn high on his waist so it barely didn't touch the ground, made a slight clattering noise as Yukiro walked. He must have been walking faster than he realized. 
Slowing down, but not turning, he spoke quietly, "... Sorry. I've just had a bad couple of days. I don't mean to be rude."

@NIGHT

So it was him! Details of his figure came easier when he's not 50 feet away. NIGHT found herself sprinting faster, determined to catch up with her friend. "Oi! Yukiro!"

As he slowed, he replied sharply, not turning around. "Why are you following me? The others are back there."

Could he slow down a little more?! Not only did his monstrous height lend him a stride advantage, but his speed was too fast to keep up with, had she been walking alongside him. "Yeah? Well," she breathed, jogging to keep up, "They had a full party anyway. And I don't think I'm too familiar with half of the players yet."

"Besides," she huffed, her face reddening from the persistent exercise. "Didn't you plan on going for that quest too?"

"... Sorry, I've just had a bad couple of days." Yukiro slowed down, slightly, allowing NIGHT to recover a tad bit. "I don't mean to be rude," he muttered quietly.

"It's... it's really alright... Don't worry about it," NIGHT panted out, changing her pace. "But--" she swallowed, "--but, you were planning to join them too, weren't you? If you're still k-keen on it, we could team up. I'm sure..." she gestured with a fist. "I'm sure we could do it together."

@Yukiro

"It's... it's really alright... Don't worry about it." Night was clearly out of breath.
It should have been more concerning that the first thought was that he was now fairly sure he could get away if he just ran.

"But--" she swallowed, "--but, you were planning to join them too, weren't you? If you're still k-keen on it, we could team up. I'm sure..." she gestured between them with her fist. "I'm sure we could do it together."
Yukiro stopped suddenly and stared down at Night. Again, his gaze was far colder than he intended. 
"Do you really think I need the help?" he spat bluntly. 
He realized what he'd said after he said it. Turning away again he started to walk away again.
"..."
"I would love the company. Thank you, Night."

He tried to hide a smile. He couldn't lie. Even if it was superficial, he was glad to have Night around. It gave him at least a tinge of hope.

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"Do you really think I need the help?"

The words cut through NIGHT like a knife through butter. This was uncharacteristically Yukiro -- or maybe it was his true nature? As she struggled to find the words, he turned away, taking long strides yet again. "... I would love the company. Thank you, Night."

... This guy...

Did he really think so little of her? If she wasn't two years older than she already was, she'd have given up on her so-called friend. But right now she was bordering on irritation, and had a good handful of words she needed to get off her chest about his behavior. She strode after Yukiro, attempting to keep up.

NIGHT had to get through to him, or at least figure the guy out.

Careful to keep her words within earshot, she spoke only when they were in a less dense section of town. "As much as I appreciate joining you on your quest, what's your deal?!" she berated, hushed. "Are you just lashing out? Look--" she paused, gesturing with her hands, "I know you're-- you're hurt and you've gone through a lot... a lot of trauma--" she paused, rummaging through her thoughts, trying to avoid thinking about the conclusion of their last quest. "And maybe something else awful happened whilst we were split up, I get that."

"But I'm not up for being told off like that, Yukiro. And I'm not looking to make an enemy out of you, either" NIGHT stated, pacing herself carefully. "If you need some space or some time, or if you secretly don't want me around either," she said, eyes down to the floor, "Then let me know, instead of insulting me to my face. We can go our separate ways after the quest, if you wanted."

@Yukiro

They walked in silence, painfully tense silence, for quite a ways. Once they were more alone NIGHT broke the quiet.
"As much as I 
appreciate joining you on your quest, what's your deal?!" she quietly rebuked him, "Are you just lashing out? Look--" she paused, gesturing with her hands, "I know you're-- you're hurt and you've gone through a lot... a lot of trauma--" she paused for a long moment, "And maybe something else awful happened whilst we were split up, I get that. But I'm not up for being told off like that, Yukiro. And I'm not looking to make an enemy out of you, either. If you need some space or some time, or if you secretly don't want me around either," she said a little quieter, eyes downcast, "Then let me know, instead of insulting me to my face. We can go our separate ways after the quest, if you wanted."
Yukiro flinched a little at her words. He couldn't say they were undeserved, but still... they hurt. 
Yukiro slowed to a stop, looking straight ahead. 
"... You're right. I was out of line. I'm sorry," he said slowly, slowly picking up more confidence as he spoke, "I know I'm lashing out, but I also know I shouldn't be so weak as to do such a thing. Pain, suffering, nothing gives me the right to say or do anything like that. I simply don't have the right to do so."
Why was he telling her this? It wasn't that important, just a fact of how he was raised.
"I do spent every day since we went our ways either helping other rookies or hunting the manticore. Every single day. But I don't have the right to complain. It was my choices that lead to what happened to me," he finished, turning to NIGHT, trying to keep his face void of emotion, "Everything. Yumi. Saru. You. Everything was my fault. I do not want you to go. But I won't ask you to stay."

Without another word, he continued on his way. He made sure to slow his pace enough for Night to keep up.
What was he telling her that for? It was just his normal thoughts, so nothing should have been too shocking of a revelation. 

@NIGHT

"..."

"... You're right. I was out of line," Yukiro replied, halting his stride. NIGHT caught up to him, cautious. "I'm sorry."

"I know I'm lashing out," he continued, looking into the distance, "but I also know I shouldn't be so weak as to do such a thing."

-- It's not weakness though, it's suffering. That's alright, we try not to do it again. Those were the words she wanted to say, but Yukiro continued on.

"Pain, suffering, nothing gives me the right to say or do anything like that. I simply don't have the right to do so. I do spend every day, since we went our ways, either helping other rookies or hunting the manticore. Every single day," he recounted. As much as NIGHT wanted to be impressed with him, something about Yukiro's behavior struck the wrong chord with her. She folded her arms, defensive. "But I don't have the right to complain. It was my choices that lead to what happened to me, everything."

Yukiro turned around, facing her. "Yumi. Saru. You. Everything was my fault."

"But that's not--"

"--I do not want you to go. But I won't ask you to stay. "

With an unconscious flourish, he turned around, making his way to his destination.

--- What was all that about..?

Clicking her tongue, she rushed to catch up, frantically lost. If she had wanted to say something, it would've been lost to the swirling mess of thoughts in her head about Yukiro's monologue. There were multiple key ideas she disagreed with, for one, and she did want to voice her disagreement, but...

... In this state, I don't think I'm going to convince Yukiro of anything.

NIGHT decided, that if she was going to help him, the best she would do for now was to stay beside him; preferably as they went on the quest. The two still kept in silence, she sent him a party invite as her answer.

@Yukiro

As Yukiro started walking, he heard footsteps behind him. Night must still be following him. 
There was a certain comfort that came with the knowledge that she was still coming with him. 
A small window popped up in in his view. A party invitation from NIGHT. He tapped the accept icon without stopping or looking back. 
For a long time the pair walked in silence. Yukiro was happy to have the time to think, but the lack of communication with Night put him on edge. 
...I suppose there was no reason to tell her any of that. It shouldn't be that bad, though. It's just truth.
Yukiro stopped before they got to the town. He could feel the stagnant air, rich with the smell of disease. 
If NIGHT entered a plague-ridden town in a state during which she wouldn't talk. He'd have to distract her mind.
"Hey. I don't think I've ever asked you what your favorite color is, have I?" he asked, trying to make sure her mind was going to be off the horrible sights.

@NIGHT

"Huh? It's black," she responded curtly, giving Yukiro a glance. "Why, what's yours?"

Her attention was still towards the ground in front of her. Dirt paths lead them through the outskirts of town and into a forest, where the harsh smell of sickness washed over her. NIGHT felt her eyes tear up and immediately covered her nose with a hand. "Okay," she quipped, trying to ease her senses. "I... I didn't expect this. What's up with this place?"

The two continued to trudge onward, and NIGHT stopped for a moment when an interface element informed her of the village they were in. "<<Horunka>>, huh," she thought aloud, muffled behind her hand, before taking another step. The forest around them was dense, and she'd have figured that it'd smell more like nature, but...

If the scent was this overpowering, they must be in much dire need than we first expect.

Perhaps she should commission a handkerchief when she got back, she mused, looking around for the quest marker.

@NIGHT

"Huh? It's black. Why, what's yours?"
"I don't actually know. Maybe it's red..? Or black? Maybe gold?"
The smell had been getting steadily worse. He had to keep her mind off of the decay.
"Now, what about your favorite food? What's the best thing to eat?" he asked, a little more loudly. He also made it a point to slow down enough that they were walking side by side. He turned to face her better as they walked, doing his best to make sure her eyes didn't wander. 
"You know, I never did get to try that pancake! We'll have to go back there sometime." he said, ever so slightly louder than he needed too. He didn't want her to see the... darker things around plagued towns. Whenever she started to look away he asked some sort of question. 
"What's your favorite hobby? Where do you wanna go, anywhere in the world? What's your favorite season?"
At one point was actually forced to attempt a funny face to keep her eyes on him.
Yukiro is really, really bad at funny faces. 
Which might have made it even better.

@NIGHT

"Now, what about your favorite food?" Yukiro shot back, slowing down to look back at her. "What's the best thing to eat?"

"Um, what's this about?" NIGHT tilted her head, curious and on edge. Should I even respond? Her eyes wandered to the floor, thinking. It's hard to think with the stench... I actually don't even know what my favorite thing to eat is. There's just too many choices--

"-- You know, I never did get to try that pancake!" Yukiro exclaimed, his stare bearing into her soul. "We'll have to go back there sometime."

-- No seriously, what's happening?! NIGHT could barely hold eye contact with him, wearing a scowl on her face at the absurdity of the situation. "I mean," she replied, "Sure? I wouldn't mind going back there for a bite?"

The moment she turned to look away, Yukiro questioned her again, "What's your favorite hobby?"

"U-Uuu...."

M-Maybe I should tune him out...

NIGHT turned to look around --

"--Where do you wanna go, anywhere in the world?"

-- starting to get a little lost --

"--What's your favorite season?"

-- where were they?

She walked right into Yukiro, not watching her step nor him shifting over to catch her attention. "Woah, hey! Watch where you're going."

He pulled a funny face at her.

It was really bad. NIGHT couldn't help but give him a subdued smirk, trying to mask her humor. "That," she commented, covering her mouth and nose once again, "That was really great, but you think you wanna tell me what's up now?"

@Yukiro

Night walked right into Yukiro, making him stumble a bit. "Woah, hey! Watch where you're going."
"Ah, sorry. U-um..." How do I keep her attention..?
He pulled a funny face at her.
Night gave him a subdued smirk. "That," she said, covering her mouth and nose once again, "That was really great, but you think you wanna tell me what's up now?"
Yukiro glanced around. It looked like they were past the worst of it, so he might as well tell her. 
"I just, ah... you seemed really down, so I... wanted to cheer you up. Sorry," he said, standing up straight again. He avoided eye contact, slightly red. 
"And I'm not sick!" he added loudly. He continued walking to the tent where, he assumed, the quest would be. "I... never mind."
What was he going to say? It felt important... ah, no matter. It would probably just be the wrong thing to say anyways. 
He seriously needed to pull himself together. Being with Night was making him act weird.

@NIGHT

"I just, ah," Yukiro paused, searching for the words as he began to straighten his back. "You seemed really down, so I... wanted to cheer you up, sorry." NIGHT sighed, shrugging, having refused to move her hand away from her face. "It's... it's nothing. Thanks for trying to cheer me up, though."

His face began to redden as he broke eye contact with NIGHT. "And I'm not sick!"

"I'll take you at your word," she replied, blinking hard. "I might be though, after that smell. What do you think that is?" NIGHT looked up at Yukiro, who appeared to be thinking. "I..." His voice trailed off, seeming to not be answering her question. "Never mind."

NIGHT went speechless, too.

It didn't matter for too long, though, as they soon found themselves at the tent, where the quest marker was strikingly obvious against the dull greens of the area. NIGHT walked through the entrance, held up by rotting wooden poles, to find a man leaning over a table, their face in a frown as they shadowed over a small book with scribbling on it.

Uh... Is this it?

"Hey," NIGHT called out, walking over to the man. "Do you need help around the village?"

@Yukiro

"Hey," NIGHT called out, walking over to the man. "Do you need help around the village?"
The old man tiredly looked up. His eyes seemed to be several years younger than his body. Or maybe his body was actually younger than it appeared. "Ah! Adventurers! Yes, we are in desperate need or your aid!" he said, struggling to rise from his seat. After a few moments of unsuccessfully trying, he sat back down. "Do not come to close. I, like the rest in this village, am infected by a disastrous disease."
Yukiro stepped forward. He knew where this was going. "You need a certain cure. Where can we find it?" 
The old man nodded tiredly. "It can be found in the fruit or bulb of particularly large nepent. You'll know it from the red bulb on it's head, or fruit on it's vines."
"Of course. I-- We shall return with the medicine shortly," he said in his most knightly voice. He tended to talk like that when accepting a quest.
Turning to NIGHT, he gestured for her to go first. "Shall we?"

"Shall we?"

NIGHT nodded, stepping out the tent. A large nepent... She wasn't too familiar with the name of the creature, but judging by its description, her best guess was a plant monster.

Plants, huh? How big could they be?

She began heading out the village, continuing down the road they had originate from. Walking backwards after they'd left the town, she checked in with Yukiro, putting her hand across her chin in thought. "So do we just wander around the forest looking for a red bud? Maybe fruit? The red bud thing sounds like it'd be really obvious to spot, but if they're... small-- Ow."

Looking around to check what she'd bumped into, she had to step back, before it dawned on her. Several wriggling roots (vines?!), leaves (big leaves!!) and a wide glossy (rubbery--) cup -- when it turned around, NIGHT could finally acknowledge its massive, red lips (no!) with teeth (NO!!).

And NIGHT could only scream in horror.

@Yukiro

Spoiler

Nepent | HP 7 Dmg 3
ID# 127977 | BD: 2
Yukiro: HP 200/200 | EN: 18/20 (-2)
Nepent: HP 7/7

Yukiro watched the process as they walked. He had been curious when she would notice, but she hadn't.
They's been walking forward, into the forest, when he'd spotted what he assumed to be a Nepent ahead of them. Night, however, did not see it. He waited for her to notice as they walked and, ultimately, watched as Night rammed face-first into the large gourd. 
"Pft--!" he had to laugh at her blunder. 
When Night screamed, however, his attitude changed completely. Simply, yet seriously, he pushed the Nepent away with one hand and lifted Night in his other. While he did get a little red as he carried her a small ways away from the bulbous plant, Yukiro was in a serious mode. He place her back on the ground and stood between her and the plant, drawing his sword. 
"Are you alright?"

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

Oh gosh oh jeez oh I never wanna bump into something like that again--

"Are you alright?" Yukiro asked, turning to face the Nepent with his sword drawn. NIGHT nodded back, shaken but stirred, rising from her position on the ground. "Y-yeah," she stammered out, pulling out her greatsword. "T-thanks, Yukiro... Y-You really are a life saver," she breathed, taking up a battle stance.

Though her sword wavered and she was losing her grip, a bright flash of blue and a loud --Ping! dragged NIGHT past the Nepent, allowing her to cut into it with ease. Dropping and rolling on the forest floor --- Wait. Is this forest floor sanitary?!

She stopped herself with her gloved hands, shooting upwards and dusting off the dirt from herself. "Aww man," she complained, not noticing the falling corpse behind her. "I really hope it doesn't rain soon... My gloves..."

Checking back at Yukiro, all she could see was a scatter of crystal ash. When she thought she could see him past the clutter, she gave him a wry smile -- partly due to her complicated feelings, and partly due to still shaking from the thought of being in the forest.

"Um... Onto the next one?"

ID: 127979 | BD: 8
<
<Straight>> on Nepent.
4 * 2 = 8 DMG
Nepent has been eliminated!

Nepent | HP: -1/7 | DMG: 3

Yukiro | HP: 200/200 | EN: 18/20
NIGHT | HP: 120/120 | EN: 10/12 (-2)

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT
Spoiler

Nepent: HP 7 Dmg 3
ID# 127980 | BD: 5
Yukiro: HP 200/200 | EN: 19/20 (+1)
Nepent: HP 7/7

"T-thanks, Yukiro... Y-You really are a life saver." 
It's just your mission in life to give me mixed feelings, isn't it?
 Ping! 
Yukiro twisted away, letting NIGHT lung past him and slash through the large plant. It was a  little sad that he was so used to dodging her sword arts from behind.

Night dropped onto her hands, propelling herself back to her feet. "Aww man," she whined a bit, "I really hope it doesn't rain soon... My gloves..."
She turned back to Yukiro and smiled. "Um... Onto the next one?" 
Realizing something, Yukiro couldn't help but ask her...

"Night... Are you... Afraid of getting dirty?"
Come on, everything pointed to him being right. What was the harm in asking?
"Also..."
"There's another one behind you," he pointed out, gesturing to a second large gourd.
He would have just went ahead and cut the predatory plant, but... if he was being honest, NIGHT's reactions had been kinda funny. And a little cute. 

@NIGHT

Edited by Yukiro

"NIGHT," Yukiro asked, voice trailing. "Are you... afraid of getting dirty?"

The hair on her skin stood, alarmed about being called out. Sheepishly quiet, she nodded back, slowing the dusting of forest dirt from her gloves. "Um," she mentioned, looking down to the ground. "I mean, it just feels icky, I guess... Life never used to be like this..."

"Also..."

Yukiro then pointed behind her.

"There's another one behind you."

"?!"

Reflexively, NIGHT grabbed her sword and swung it hard behind her, trying to annihilate the gourd in one shot. Her attack nearly missed the creature, but the tip of her sword had just cut it, inflicting a slight white gash into the side of it. The Nepent seemed to screech, whipping its roots around angrily, as NIGHT panicked on the spot, trying to run away.

She tripped on one of its roots.

Falling to the dirt, she cowered, letting the vines swipe at her, before they rescinded, the enemy losing strength. NIGHT took a glance as the Nepent shattered, losing its health from the tiny barbs on NIGHT's armor.

I really hope the rest of the quest won't be like this...

ID: 128036 | BD: 6 (4, +2) | CD: 6 | MD: 8
> Recovery was triggered. (+2 EN)
Basic attack on Nepent. (-4 DMG)

Nepent attacks NIGHT!
3 - 17 = 1 DMG
> Thorns activate for 9 DMG.

Nepent | HP: --6/7 | DMG: 3

Yukiro | HP: 200/200 | EN: 18/20
NIGHT | HP: 119/120 (-1) | EN: 11/12 (+1, +2, -1)

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT