[F01-PP] <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>> Trying to Figure This Game Out

James walked into Zachariah's shop, pushing his mop of blond hair out of the way of his glasses. "Oh, uh hello there, sir," he said quietly. "I've come to inquire about the quest you're offering." 

Old Zachariah turned around from his alchemy station and greeted James warmly. "Why hello there new player! Yes, I need you to do a small task for me. You see, I am in need of some materials for crafting a potion. Once you return, I'll show you how to make a basic healing potion with the matrials you've gathered." He smiled and handed James a list of the materials he needed to find. 

James waved goodbye as he left the shop, looking at the list in his hands. The materials shouldn't be too hard to find, but he still felt a little wary going out of the safe zone by himself. And it was just his luck that his sister was busy today doing the first quest with a friend. He sighed. He still had not managed to make any friends in the game as of yet while his sister had managed to make a few. It was typical of his life. He was quite shy in person, despite standing at 6 foot 4 with a thin frame. 

Well, today I'll try to make a friend, he thought to himself with a glint of determination in his eyes. He walked over to the job posting board in the middle of town and awkwardly stood next to it, trying to slouch to make himself look smaller. Man this is awkward. 

@Spencer

Spencer wanted to take a short stroll down memory lane and look at the beginners quest area, the place where he did the same quest probably 4 times with helping other random individuals. "I came here so much, I probably picked this place clean of materials, well they still re-spawn but still. I've done this quest way too many times. I probably wo- well maybe I will." He paused his monologue and noticed a man standing next to the job board, looking slightly meek and shy. Should I go up to him and ask if he needs help? I mean he's all by himself. Maybe he's waiting for a questing partner of some kind. Spencer changed his walking path and approached the tall man, having to finally look up at someone slightly when talking. "Hey! I was wondering if you by chance needed any help? Most people don't hang around the job board unless they need help with something. Would it be the beginner quest line? You're in the right area for it. I've done it a lot and could offer some assistance... Oh I'm Spencer by the way." He smiled softly at the stranger and stuck out his hand to him. 

@James_Hawke

Edited by Spencer

James looked up at the man approaching him, his heart racing. Okay, okay, calm down. It's just a new person. You're 23 for Chist's sake, you can talk to another human being, he thought to himself. "Hi, my name is James. James Hawke," he said, reaching out and shaking Spencer's hand firmly. "Um, I don't know if you'd be interested, but would you mind helping me with the first lessons quest? It seems rather tedious, and I'd rather not be out of the safe zone alone at my low level."

He glanced at the side of his display. Level 3. He sighed internally. So many more levels to go until he was able to join front lines and fight his way out of this game. He shook his head, bringing himself back to reality. "I mean, if it's not too much trouble, of course," he continued on, speaking to Spencer. 

@Spencer

James: 60/60 HP | 6/6 EN | 3 DMG | 32 MIT | BLEED | 2 LIGHT MOMENTUM | 1 EVA

Edited by James_Hawke

Spencer smiled and waved his hand. "Oh I'd love to help! I've got nothing better to do at the moment, and I love getting to know people." He immediately sent the man a party request for the two to share the quest. He gave the male a brief once over. Low level obviously, hmmm. I can't fully tell his build, maybe DPS? He doesn't seem to be in tons of clunky gear. I'll have to ask. "So James may I ask, what build are you? I'm a beginning tank, only hit level 27 a little while ago. Leveling up can be horrible, especially not having anyone to train with." He looked up at the man with a smile, getting his mace and shield ready as the two exited the safe zone. Noot, his familiar, started to make some noise in his hood, and he quickly pulled the penguin out, letting the bird sit on his head as the two of them journeyed. "Oh and sorry about the surprise penguin, he's my familiar and he loves people." The penguin waved at James. "Noot!!" Called the bird, happy to be making a new friend.

@James_Hawke

[Spencer][HP:540][EN:54][DMG: 4][MIT: 74][Thorns: 36 DMG][ACC: +1][REC: +1][REG: +1]

James looked over his build for a second. He had made an unusual character. A light armor character with a double handed weapon. "Ah, well I tried to go for a DPS that was maneuverable," he answered, "hence the light armor and two-handed weapon. The combination might be contradictory in some games, but it's worked out so far for me in this one." He smiled, glad that Spencer understood the struggle of leveling. "Yes, it is quite hard when you don't know that many people in game. Usually I train with my sister, Joanne. But she was out today doing the same quest with a different friend." He laughed. "I guess there was a lack in communication between us today." 

When the penguin popped out of the man's hood, James couldn't hold in his excitement. "Is that a small penguin?" he said, his voice filled with excitement. "Oh hello there, little guy!" He stooped down and look at the adorable creature, his shy demeanor disappearing for the moment. 

@Spencer

The penguin got very excited with James responded to the bird. It quickly climbed down Spencer's body, getting to the ground, and running to the man's leg. The penguin looked up at the man for a moment before waving at him and hugging James's leg, happy. "Sorry about him, he gets very affectionate when people give him the slightest amount of attention." He chuckled and bent down, scooping up the bird with an arm. Noot looked sad for a moment, but quickly climbed back up Spencer and sat on his head, looking around. "Getting this little guy wasn't easy, took a few hours. Lord that was awful... Oh and you say you have a sister here? A twisted privilege I guess you could say. But I'm happy you're able to have someone that close to you. I was lucky enough to have create a family all my own within this hell hole.... Sorry that got dark," He blushed and rubbed the back of his head, "Looking into any guilds as of late? I know that Hestia, she's a front-liner, has created one. I think there's a trading one... I'm not sure of what else."

@James_Hawke

James laughed as the penguin ran over to him. "What a cutie you are." He gave the penguin a few head pats before Spencer picked him up. The little guy was surprisingly soft. James stood back up to his full height. "Oh, no need to apologize. I enjoyed the surprise." 

When he heard how long it took to find the familiar, his eyes widened. "Wow. That's so much dedication. You guys must really be close then," he said, smiling. "And don't apologize about the darkness of what you said." He sighed and looked into the distance. "This world was not created with good intentions." He rubbed his right arm, a nervous habit of his. 

He shook his head and cleared his mind when he heard the subject of guilds. "Oh, I wasn't aware that this game had them. I, um," he paused, slightly embarrassed. "Well, I'm quite shy, so I don't know if I'd fit into a guild very well." He rubbed the back of his head, laughing lightly, trying not to blush in embarrassment. 

@Spencer

"Oh yeah guilds can be a big help. A large group of people able to help you out, a support system. They tend to become some of your family, or at least really close friends." He smiled at the man and continued to walk, starting to look for materials. "I'm not the best on offering guidance, but there are tons of DPS people out there who could help you. Usually put out a general interest in training and developing will bring out a couple of 'brave souls' who would take on the opportunity to train a possible up-and-comer. When I started to train to become a tank, I was lucky enough to have someone in my guild to help me. I have since stopped lots of training because I'm trying to enjoy myself a bit more, but it was really beneficial.. Wow that was a mouthful." He blushed softly and looked down at the ground. "If you're interested I could start trying to find some people to help you? Of course that is if you want to start training and all of that."

@James_Hawke

ID: 127950 LD: 10 [N/A]

Edited by Spencer

James led the way as they walked down the Northern path leading out of the safe zone. The way Spencer described guilds made them sound pretty fun. "You know, I may give joining a guild a try in the future. Though you never mentioned if you're a part of a guild, and if so, which one." 

He listened as the man continued to talk. "I understand how you feel. I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics of the game, but I'm finding that I really enjoy the combat in this game -- training or not." There was a glint in his eyes. "I like the challenge and competition of taking down stronger enemies." 

When Spencer offered to find some people to help him, James smiled. "That would be very kind of you, though I don't want to be of too much trouble." 

While they had been talking, James had scanned the area around them, but had found no materials. 

@Spencer

Spoiler

searching for T1 materials
Roll ID#: 127953
LD: 9 (fail)

0/5 T1 materials found

Edited by James_Hawke

"Oh finding someone to help you would be no trouble at all. We always need more people on the front liners pushing further and further to the end of the game. No promises on finding someone though, I don't know many two-handers, so it will be slim pickings." He shrugged a bit and continued to scan the ground. "And I am apart of a guild, loosely. I joined one a while back with friends, however it slowly started to break apart. Nothing bad, we just don't talk as much, and we have our own lives now. They are still my family, but we have a lot of things to do that aren't apart of running and being apart of a guild." He thought for a moment and smiled at the memory of Telrenya, Jomei, and Ruby meeting. "What do you think you might want to get out of this game? I know it's been a whirlwind of self deprecation and then development. But also I want to get stronger, but statistical wise in this game, but within myself... Not to get too emotional or anything." He laughed a bit and continued to look around. He quickly picked up an item and submitted it for the quest.

@James_Hawke

ID: 127955 LD: 13

1/5 Mats

Edited by Spencer

James nodded as Spencer talked. He noticed the man smile. They must have all been really close, he thought to himself. He wondered if he would have a tight family like that ever. As they walked along, James managed to spot and pick up one of the materials he needed.

Then Spencer asked him what he wanted to get out of the game. James froze. He had never thought about that. "Well...I actually didn't join this game the normal way." He looked away and laughed nervously. "I actually joined a short while after it was released that everyone that had the headsets on had been trapped in the game." His expression turned sad. "I couldn't stand seeing my sister lay there in the hospital bed as I sat by and did nothing. I put my own headset on and let the game begin. So... what do I want to get out of this game?" He looked over and starred into Spencer's eyes, his expression now serious. "I want to free my sister and everyone else from this game. Even if I die during the process..." His voice was low, trailing off towards the end. He blushed. "My apologies if that was a bit too dark," he said quietly.

Spoiler

searching for materials
Roll ID#: 127957
LD: 20

@Spencer

1/5 materials gathered.

Edited by James_Hawke

A soft frown covered Spencer's face as James talked about his own time in the game and how he came about to joining it. He joined to save his sister from all of this... God what has he gotten himself into, but also I can't blame the guy, things change when you are trying to protect the ones you love. His frown turned to a sad smile. "What you did was dumb, not going to lie to yah, however it was insanely brave. Don't forget you have that in you." He smiled and put his hand on the man's shoulder. "Oh and good job at finding a material, only need three more and we are done." He walked with the man in silence for a moment, trying to think of something to continue the conversation. "So James, where did you grow up? I grew up in England, not very exciting but it was a nice place, if not a bit rainy." He thought back to his life outside of the game, something he rarely did.

@James_Hawke

ID: 127958 LD: 15 +1 Mat

3/5 Mats 

Edited by Spencer

James ducked his head and laughed. "Yeah, I know it wasn't the smartest idea, but what else could I do? She's my sister. We look out for each other, you know?" He couldn't help but smile, knowing that he and his sister were safe for now. When Spencer said that he was brave, James looked away, trying to hide a blush. He wasn't used to compliments. "Thank you. Not many have said such kind things to me. I appreciate it." 

He also thanked Spencer again when the man congratulated him on finding a material. 

"Ah, I actually grew up close by -- well close in relation to the hugeness of the actual world." He took a moment to think back to his childhood on the farm, a soft smile spreading across his lips. "I was raised on a farm in Scotland. My parents were farmers and cattle raisers. I grew up riding horses and helping with work around the farm. But I never had the knack for swordsmanship and traditional fighting like my sister had. You see," he said, slowing his walk to a stop and turning to face Spencer, "I'm actually part of the Hawke family of knights. Though I was never very good at being a night." He laughed. "My sister took that spot when she came of age. Meanwhile, I stuck to computers and ended up moving to London to work as a software engineer." 

He realized how much he had spoken. "Oh, my apologies for going on for so long. What about you? How was it growing up in England? I only know the place as the business and bustle of London." 

While they had been talking, James had spotted and picked up another material mid conversation. 

@Spencer

Spoiler

Searching for T1 Materials
Roll ID#: 127960
LD: 11 

2/5 materials found

Edited by James_Hawke