[SP-06] <<Calming the Soul>>

Cordelia's hands tingled as she walked through the calms waters that rippled under waterfall. Was she really going to do this?

Face her demons? She wondered what kind of demons she even had. What if she didn't even have any demons?

She didn't know.

Cordelia sighed as she found a flat rock not too far away from the waterfall. Just sit here, right? That's what the people told her to do. She. . . wasn't sure how this was going to give her a new skill but hey, she didn't question it any further.

She crossed her legs as she plopped herself on the rock. So she just had to. . . sit here?

What an odd quest.

She placed her hands together in front of her as she closed her eyes quietly, listening to the sound of the birds chirping. The water almost silently flowing. The occasional sound of crickets humming. 

The sound of silence.

Spoiler

LVL: 23 | HP: 460/460 | EN: 46/46 | 12 DMG | 2 ACC | 3 EVA | 1 SAVVY | 2 KEEN | 4 HLY

INVENTORY: 

☆ T1 Katana | Haunted Verdict: [Cursed] 1 HLY, 2 DMG
 T1 Light Armor | Coat of a Husk: +2 EVA, +1 SAVVY
☆ T1 Jewelry | Aura Sensors: +1 EVA, +2 KEEN

BATTLE READY:

[5] Standard Healing Potions [Heals 50 HP]

CONSUMED:

SKILLS:

☆ R2 Accuracy Familiar Mastery: 2 ACC
☆ Disguise: [Gain +1 EVA until the start of your next turn]
☆ Survival: [Increases out of combat health regeneration to (15 * Tier) per post. Grants immunity to most damage dealing environmental
attacks/effects.]
☆ R1 Curved Sword Skill 
☆ R5 Katana Skill [+7 DMG/+1 BASE]

Spoiler

INNER DEMON STATS:[for reference]

<<First Inner Demon>>
HP: 115
Damage per Attack: 57
Mitigation: 3

<<Second Inner Demon>>
HP: 153
Damage per Attack: 75
Mitigation: 4

<<Third Inner Demon>>
HP: 230
Damage per Attack: 113
Mitigation: 6

<<Final Inner Demon>> 
HP: 345
Damage per Attack: 169
Mitigation: 9

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The constant and rythmatic sound of her heartbeat was the only thing Cordelia could really hear at this point. The space around her almost felt. . . empty of some sorts. 

She opened her steely gray eyes slowly and they almost looked. . . tired. Was she already exhausted before she had even started this actual quest? She was no longer sitting on the hard surface of the rock and she found herself on the ground. She looked around confusingly, pushing herself up with her legs. Where was she? She didn't hear about whatever this was in the info she was given.

Her eyes washed over the room. . . or really, the lack of a room. The area around her seemed endless. It was just constant black stretching forever and ever. She didn't even know where the sky-- or the wall-- met the ground. It seemed like she was just standing in space. 

"Where the heck am I?"

She had wondered.

She didn't know how long she wondered but she didn't stop.

She felt lost. Incredibly lost.

She felt like hours passed by. Maybe this was already getting to her head. The info broker warned that this was going to happen. Maybe she wasn't in the right state of mind for this quest yet. 

Her eyes squinted as she found herself suddenly stuck between hundreds-- and I mean hundreds-- of closed doors. When did she get here? Was she too lost in thought to notice any of this?

Cordelia's stance was rigid as her eyes glossed over all of the doors one by one. Where was she supposed to exactly go? She felt even more lost now. What kind of quest was this? Her palms felt sweaty as she walked around, peering at the doors, seeing if she could find anything that could signify where she was supposed to go.

Cordelia stopped at a light brown door. She felt like if she hadn't looked close enough, she would've surely missed it. On the door was a symbol she had never once seen in her life before.

imer.jpg

"Odd," she mumbled, tilting her head at the door. 

Her hands rested on the hilt of her katana cautiously. Whatever was waiting on the other side of this door could be dangerous. This quest wasn't supposed to be hard. . . but you never know. Her hand slowly reached the door handle. She hadn't realized it until now but it seemed strangely. . . elegant. Almost something that only someone of her family's status could have. Maybe she was going crazy?

"It's just a doorknob, Amara," she muttered to herself, her grip tightening around the knob slightly. "Why are you worrying about something like this?" She asked herself, her brows furrowing as she slowly tilted the door open.

With a brave face, she pushed the door open.

Click.

Click.

Click.

She turned her head to her left slightly as bright lights and the sound of clicking filled her vision and ears. Cordelia's hands let go of the doorknob as well as the handle of her katana, dropping almost limply to her sides. Her eyes widened.

Photographers?

The paparazzi? 

She felt her legs be unable to move as she stared the blank faces of the photographers. Where was she? Where the hell was she? Cordelia felt her voice leave her body as she looked around. They had no face. It was almost like a blank slate. What. . .

What the hell was this?

What kind of sick game was being played?

Her chest rose and fell heavily as more flashes of light filled her eyes. She winced, turning her head to avoid the blinding flashes, but no matter what angle she turned her head and no matter how tight she shut her eyes, she couldn't escape it.

She couldn't hear anything. Why couldn't she hear anything?

She could feel the sound.

It was vibrating her skin, making it crawl. Why. . . why couldn't she hear anything?

The air around her felt dense all of a sudden. Was that just her? Her throat felt tight as it suddenly got harder to even take in a simple breath. 

What was going on? Why was she here?

She felt the wind get knocked out of her as she suddenly felt a strong force push her forward. Cordelia squeezed her eyes shut. She prepared for something to push her back, for something to stop her, for anything.

She never got anything. Nothing.

Cordelia peeked one of her eyes open slowly. Where was she? Another endless void of darkness?

She felt her hands quiver as she held it up in front of her. She still hadn't recovered from whatever that was.

What just happened?

Another force of pressure pushed her from behind, pushing her forward once again. 

Cordelia wheezed as she found herself landing her knees and hands. "What the hell-" Her lips immediately pressed together into a thin line as she saw who was in front of her.

As if natural instinct took over her, she scrambled to her feet, straightening herself before placing in her hands in front of her in an almost rigid posture. Why was she still doing this? What was she doing? What the hell was she doing?

"Mother," she whispered as if on instinct, feeling her voice slowly lose its power once again. 

She screamed inside. Why was she still like this? This wasn't her mother. 

It seemed as if her body froze as her eyes met the cold, gray ones of her mother's. She looked. . . exactly the same. Not a day older than when she had last seen her two years ago.

Her mother looked her up and down with the eyes she oh-so-hated. She hated everything about them. How they judged her. How they made her freeze. How they somehow made her do everything that the wretch wanted her to do. She hated having the same eyes as this witch. 

"You look like filth," her mother said blandly and bluntly, narrowing her eyes slightly at her one and only child with such. . . disappointment. 

Why was her mother disappointed? She was the one the one that was supposed to be disappointed! 

Seconds ticked by. Seconds that seemed like hours. Seconds that seemed like days. Seconds that seemed like years.

"Mother, I can explain-" She started.

"Save it, child," she said, clicking her tongue as she reached her hand, taking a strand of Cordelia's now much shorter white hair in between her fingers. 

Cordelia froze, her breath hitching in her throat as her shoulders stiffened. 

Cordelia averted her eyes to the ground, downright refusing to meet her mother's gaze. She could picture it just fine.

Anger. Disappointment. Disgust.

"What did you do?" Her mother seethed, letting go of her hair with a bit more force than Cordelia would've really liked. "You look like some kind of. . . some kind commoner with that type of hair!" She exclaimed, taking a step back from her so called daughter.

"And look at you! You're wearing rags!" She barked, staring at her daughter's attire disapprovingly. "Why does it look so large on you?" Her mother asked with another click of her tongue. "Amara, no one is even going to look at you when you look like you just came off of the streets."

"And was is with that thing you have with you?" Her mother asked-- referring to the katana she had on her waistband-- with a tone that held such fury, it almost hurt to hear.

Cordelia flinched, tilting her head down to look at her conjoined fingers. "I'm sorry, Mother," she uttered almost inaudibly.

"I swear, Amara, this is not how me and your father raised you to be!" Her mother scoffed, massaging the bridge of her nose with a single hand. "This is why you can never be perfect, Amara," she sighed, shaking her head.

Cordelia froze, feeling tears well up in her eyes. "With all due respect, Mother, I th-think-"

"Oh, hush, you stupid child," her mother snapped, crossing her arms over one another as she spared her daughter a side glance. "Maybe this is why no one has ever asked for your hand in marriage," she muttered, a slight disgust in her voice. "I told your father that it would've been better you marry you off. . ."

Cordelia had zoned out. Marriage?

She was barely seventeen when the game had first launched. Was her mother really talking about marriage?

"-- what kind of man would want some kind of girl that looks like she just came out of the slums?" Her mother asked, though mostly to herself.

Cordelia didn't realize that tears had started falling down her cheeks until she saw them drop on to the ground.

She swore that she could hear it.

Drip. Drip.

Why was she letting this happen? Why was she letting this figment of her imagination get to her like this?

"No. . ." she whispered, balling her hands into fists beside her as she looked up at her mother. 

"Excuse me?"

"I said no!" Cordelia shouted, her eyes shutting close as tears continued to stream down her face. "I'm sick and tired of having to do whatever the hell you want me to! You don't bloody own me, am not your damn property! So stop treating me like I freaking am!" She screamed, opening her eyes as she stared directly at her mother's face.

"I may not be perfect," she started, pressing her palm against where her heart should be, "but I don't need some shriveled up witch like you telling me that I'm not! I am perfectly happy with the way I am right now!"

Slap!

Cordelia's eyes watered as she felt her face burn with a sting.

Her head was twisted to the side, probably due to the unexpected force that was just delivered to her face.

Cordelia's shaking hand reached up to the side of her face as she turned her mother in disbelief, who was almost shaking with pure fury.

"You're a disgrace to our family," she seethed, lowering the hand she had just used to slap Cordelia. "No one is going to want you if you're imperfect," she said, reminding Cordelia of one her worst fears.

Imperfection.

"No, shut up," she whispered, taking a step back from the person she had called her mother. The bit of strength she had earlier felt so damn far away now. "Shut up, shut up, shut up!" She screamed, her chest heaving back and forth as she started to sob uncontrollably. "I'm perfect. I'm perfectly perfect. All that matters is that I think that I'm perfect!" Cordelia murmured, her voice dropping drastically as she held her head in her hands.

"Just look at how weak you are!" Her mother exclaimed, a smug smile appearing on her face as she crossed her arms. "Do you think anyone would even notice you?" She asked, tilting her head. 

"Please," Cordelia choked out, pressing one hand against her tight chest and the other on the hilt of her sheathed katana. "Shut up. Just shut up. I don't want to hear your [doo doo] anymore!" She shrieked looking up at her mother from her vulnerable state. 

"Do you really think that you have any control over what I say?" Her mother asked, her eyes looking down at her daughter pitifully. "I'm only stating the facts here, darling," her mother jeered,  taking a step closer to Cordelia. "Look at you," she muttered, shaking her head. "You tried so hard to be perfect, didn't you?" She asked, bending down just slightly so that she was eye level with her. "Too bad that didn't go so well."

Cordelia sucked in the air through her teeth as she unsheathed her katana, quickly plunging it into her mother's chest without a second of hesitation.

"Shut up, you stupid [female doggo]," she seethed, kicking her mother to the ground harshly. "I don't want to hear anything come out of your damn mouth or I'm going to slice your damn head off, okay?" She asked, tilting her head at her mother, who seemed paralyzed in her spot.

Cordelia huffed as she watched her mother's HP bar slowly drain away. "Weak, my ass," she muttered, "you can't even hurt me, much less even hit me in general."

Her mother grunted in retaliation as she tried to stand up, only to be sent back to the ground with Cordelia's kick. "I'm going to enjoy killing you most today," Cordelia said with a dark and smug expression, digging her katana deeper into her mother's chest.

ID: 128038
BD: 5+2=7

12x15= 180-3= 177 DMG

<<First Inner Demon>>
HP: 0/115
Damage per Attack: 57
Mitigation: 3

"I don't understand why you're even part of my imagination, anymore," Cordelia said with disgust, pulling her katana out. "I should've forgotten about you the day I joined this game," she uttered, casting judging eyes down at her mother. "A good for nothing person like you doesn't even belong in my thoughts.

She twirled her sword around, clasping it with two hands as she held it over her mother's body. "I hope someone like you burns in the pits of hell," Cordelia whispered, right before she brought down her sword.

"You're not my mother."

Stab.

"You're not my family."

Stab.

"And you certainly aren't [no no word]-ing real."

Stab.

Cordelia's knees felt weak as she loosened her grip on her hilt. 

"Why. . ? Why did I have to be like this? Why did I have to be born into such a rotten family?" She whispered, looking down at her trembling hands. "What did I do to even deserve this?"

"An imperfection like you deserves all the things that are coming," her mother croaked out weakly, making Cordelia snap her head towards her. She hadn't even realized that she was still alive at this point.

"What did I say about shutting that damn mouth of yours?" She whispered almost inaudibly, shadows casting over her eyes as she stared down at the woman with an unreadable expression. 

She straightened her posture as she suddenly felt a burst of strength run through her body. "Rot in hell, [female doggo]."

With a final swing of her katana, Cordelia brought it down on on the inner demon's neck. 

You could say that Cordelia felt a bit disappointed when she didn't witness the immediate decapitation of her mother and was instead blessed with her body exploding into dozens of red shards on impact. It didn't matter anymore. She felt like nothing even mattered anymore.

The [female dog] was dead.

Cordelia's knees finally gave way as she fell to the ground.

Why did she have to be so damn weak. 

How was she ever going to improve when she felt like a little [female dog] all the time? Wet and fat tears rolled down her cheeks as she pressed her balled up fist on the ground. 

Why?

Why did it have to be her of all people? That damn witch ruined her life. How did the game even get her in here? 

She wiped her eyes with her wrist and inhaled. It didn't matter. It shouldn't matter.

She was going to complete this damn quest.

Cordelia lifted her head and exhaled. This was only the beginning. She was going to fight someone worse. Her mother was only the beginning. Someone of a higher caliber was going to come. 

She just hoped she was ready for whoever it was going to be.

With her eyes still her face still flushed, Cordelia lifted her body weakly off of the ground. 

Where would she go now?

Her steel colored eyes shifted tiredly over to another lavish door. It looked exactly the same as the one she had seen before finding her mother. . . except the symbol. The other one had some sort of circle. . . but this?

lonely.png

Lonely?

She didn't understand. . .

Oh.

Cordelia placed her head on the door and felt tears pooling in her eyes again. "No, please. . . not this. Anything but this. . ." she whispered, balling her hands into fists again as she pounded on the door as hard as she can. "Not this!" She screamed, droplets of salty water falling down her face as she continued to punch the door. 

This wasn't supposed to happen.

She didn't want to do this.

Anything but this.

She'd even fight her mother again if it meant she didn't have to do this.

Seconds passed by. Or was it minutes? Hours? She had lost track.

It felt like an eternity.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

Time was inevitable. Not even she could stop a force of nature like it. She was going to have to fight him. She had to. This wasn't even about the damn skill anymore. She just wanted to get out. To be alone. To be safe.

She was safe here.

Cordelia placed her hand on the handle of the door and immediately retracted it.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

She couldn't bring herself to open it. She knew what was behind that door. She didn't want to go there. She didn't want to fight. She wanted to do everything but fight. She had to, though. She needed to. . . yet, why couldn't she do it?

Was it because she knew whoever was behind that door was someone she felt incredibly close to? Someone who she broke the heart of? Someone she didn't deserve?

She had to.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

She had to.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

She had to.

Her breath got caught in her throat as she grasped the handle, pushing the door open. 

Tick, tock. Tick, tock. . .

All sound seemed to fade away as she walked forward into the unfamiliar terrain. The misty terrain. The area around her was filled with a thick and dense fog. It was hard to breath in this, especially in her vulnerable state. 

I can't do this, she thought to herself weakly, stumbling backwards the find the door she had just gone through.

Nothing.

Where did it go?

Her head lulled forward as she stared at the ground blankly.

She couldn't run away. Not this time. Her second inner demon. . . how was she going to face it? She felt like all of the strength she had at the beginning of this quest had just been. . . drained out of her body. Her soul. It was all gone.