[F01- PP] <<Feeding Your Enemy>>

Yukiro listened to the old lady ramble on about her youth; how she tamed monsters as friends because people weren't good enough for her. Or something. He'd zoned out a while ago. It was rude, he knew it was, but he couldn't help it. She'd been talking for what felt like hours. 
"... And so, as a reward for listening so well, I'm going to lend you... this!" the lady said suddenly, snapping Yukiro out of his daydream. 
"Ah, yes. This..?" Yukiro nearly stammered.
The old lady put a wrapped up piece of food in his hand. "Use this to find yourself a friend. But be sure to bring it back, it's my only one."
Yukiro stood up, a little eager to get going and start this quest. "Ah, thank you for your generosity. I'll be sure to return this to you shortly." 
And with that, Yukiro dashed off to go find himself a friend. 
I wonder what I'll find.

Yukiro would find a friend, almost too quickly, some might say. Unfortunately, it was probably not the type of friend he was expected to find.

NIGHT left her workshop, closing up for today. She was on her way out to the town. It was a bright and sunny day, and she just wanted a nice, peaceful walk where the rain wouldn't soak into her boots. At the same time, she was hell bent on showing her new friend around town. In a pocket of her armor was a tiny cat, which she pet occasionally just to hear him purr.

"I hope you're all nice and snuggled up," she whispered to him, scratching behind his ear.

The sound of footsteps made her turn to see Yukiro running behind her. Oh, just in time for an introduction. She waved over to him, raising her cat's paw to wave too. "Hoi! Where're you heading in all of a rush?"

@Yukiro

NIGHT waved over to him, raising her cat's paw to wave too. "Hoi! Where're you heading in all of a rush?"

Yukiro barely noticed NIGHT calling his name as he sprinted past her. He dashed a small ways further before stopping and turning to see what had called him.
NIGHT!
"Hey! I'm going out to get a familiar..." his voice trailed off as the small cat in her pocket caught his attention. Yukiro slowly walked back to where NIGHT was and crouched to look at the cat.
His face was blank but his eyes were sparkling. Yukiro stretched out one of his fingers to pet the little cat.
He looked up at NIGHT. "Who is this tiny piece of adorableness? And where did you find it?" 
As he spoke tried to pet the tiny kitten with his finger, completely ignoring his proximity to NIGHT. Yukiro clearly has his priorities straight; cute cat over the person in front of him. 

@NIGHT

"That's Nyanko," NIGHT replied, watching Yukiro reach out a hand to pet the kitten. "He walked right up to me on my search for a familiar." Nyanko pawed gently at Yukiro's finger, bopping its head right under it to receive pets. She tried not to squeal at the small creature's antics, hiding her smile behind a hand covering her face.

"--O-oh, right. You're out to look for a friend too, huh?" The player finally mentioned, looking back at Yukiro. She folded her arms in advance. "It's not that easy, even though I know you can take care of yourself." With a thumb, NIGHT gestured to herself. "Let me tag along. You can focus on looking around, while I'll try and take out any hostiles that come by. Oh..."

She put a hand to her chin. "If you're looking in the forest for your friend, you should be wary of someone who might be running through it. B-Bahr...?"

@Yukiro

"That's Nyanko," NIGHT told Yukiro, "He walked right up to me on my search for a familiar."
Nyanko pawed at Yukiro's finger, bopping its head right under it to receive pets. The little cat's actions made Yukiro suppress a squeal (yes, really). 
"--O-oh, right. You're out to look for a friend too, huh? It's not that easy, even though I know you can take care of yourself. Let me tag along. You can focus on looking around, while I'll try and take out any hostiles that come by. Oh..." 
"If you're looking in the forest for your friend, you should be wary of someone who might be running through it. B-Bahr...?" 

Yukiro looked up at NIGHT, though he didn't stop playing with the kitten. 
"Eh? You know Bahr?" he asked, "I owe him a great debt. If you ever see him, tell him I say thank you."

@NIGHT

"I saw Bahr." NIGHT corrected. "I don't think I'd approach him given a regular setting."

"See," she started, a hand to her hip. "When I was looking for a familiar, he was running through the woods for some reason?" She put a finger to her chin. "I don't know why he was there? Who is he...?"

"Anyway, he tripped and fell. Into a puddle." NIGHT placed a hand to her head, expressing annoyance. "I hadn't much luck finding anything in the forest before that, so I thought maybe he'd scared away almost everything, running that fast..."

NIGHT looked over to Yukiro, still playing with Nyanko. "I'll still try and remember that though, but I doubt I'll bee seeing him any time soon." She lightly batted Yukiro's finger away when her kitten began biting at it in eagerness. "That's not a food," she chided gently to her familiar, "You can't eat that."

@Yukiro

"I saw Bahr. I don't think I'd approach him given a regular setting. See..." 
Yukiro tried to listen while Nyanko batted at his finger. 

"When I was looking for a familiar, he was running through the woods for some reason? I don't know why he was there? Who is he...?
 Anyway, he tripped and fell. Into a puddle. I hadn't much luck finding anything in the forest before that, so I thought maybe he'd scared away almost everything, running that fast..."
"Yeah, but he clearly didn't, 'cause you found this little ball of fluff."
"I'll still try and remember that though, but I doubt I'll bee seeing him any time soon."
NIGHT lightly batted Yukiro's finger away when the kitten began biting at it. "That's not a food. You can't eat that."
Yukiro smiled at the little cat. 
"It's okay because your little," he said with a wink before standing up straight. "Anyway, we should get going. As much as I'd like to sit here and play with Nyanko, I need to find my own familiar."

@NIGHT

"I take it I'm allowed to tag along this time then," she commented, mischievous glint in her eye as she folded her arms. "On the other hand, what're you looking out for as your familiar, or are you looking for one by chance?"

"A... boar...?" NIGHT joked, smirking. "Would that even count?"

Though, when she actually began to think about it, she looked over to Nyanko, who was cozying up in her pocket, his big yellow eyes watching Yukiro's every move. "If you like cats so much, why don't you get one for yourself then? Although," she waved a hand. "I've only seen them in the forest."

After a moment, she snapped her fingers. "-- Actually, I just remembered, have you ever seen a tsuchinoko...? I was wondering how it might fare as a familiar, just out of curiosity..."

NIGHT began gesturing, trying to describe the creature. "It's suppose to be this tiny snake that's fat and loves to drink alcohol? I mean, I don't mean to replace my familiar or yours but if you've seen one..."

@Yukiro

"I take it I'm allowed to tag along this time then?"
"Ouch. That was uncalled for."
"On the other hand, what're you looking out for as your familiar, or are you looking for one by chance? A... boar...?" NIGHT smirked, "Would that even count?" Night paused. "If you like cats so much, why don't you get one for yourself then? Although, I've only seen them in the forest." 
Yukiro's head snapped up. "
You think I could find one?" 
"-- Actually, I just remembered, have you ever seen a tsuchinoko...? I was wondering how it might fare as a familiar, just out of curiosity..." NIGHT began gesturing, trying to describe the creature. "It's suppose to be this tiny snake that's fat and loves to drink alcohol? I mean, I don't mean to replace my familiar or yours but if you've seen one..." 
Yukiro looked at NIGHT, confused. 
"Night... did you drink something weird? You really shouldn't be drinking things unless you know what they are."

@NIGHT

"Huh? I haven't taken anything. Trust me," NIGHT patted her chest. "I know what I'm talking about."

"As for your cat," she commented, thinking once again. "Yeah, I bet you could. Why wouldn't you be able to find one?" With a gentle touch, she rubbed Nyanko gently on his head, pulling it away as he tried to snap at it curiously. "I found this lil' guy, didn't I?"

NIGHT began striding down the main street, beckoning Yukiro to follow. "Although," she started, "Are you picky about its coat? I imagine... It'd be a little difficult to find a specific cat out in the wilds, but I'm willing to look with you."

A small mew from the kitten made her head turn. "I think Nyanko's offering a hand too," the girl commented, unable to stop her smile. "Isn't that right Nyanko? Nyanko~?" Gentle petting and ear scritching to the kitten made him tilt his head in glee, content with her affection.

@Yukiro

Edited by NIGHT

"As for your cat... Yeah, I bet you could. Why wouldn't you be able to find one?" NIGHT said, rubbing Nyanko gently on his head and pulling it away as he tried to snap at her finger curiously. "I found this lil' guy, didn't I?"
Yukiro smiled at NIGHT. "Yeah, that's true."
NIGHT started walking down the main street. Yukiro didn't have to try very hard to catch up. "Although, Are you picky about its coat? I imagine... It'd be a little difficult to find a specific cat out in the wilds, but I'm willing to look with you." 
"I'm not terribly picky, no. That's very generous of you." 
"I think Nyanko's offering a hand too. Isn't that right Nyanko? Nyanko~?
Yukiro caught himself glaring at NIGHT in jealousy. He had to take a moment to calm himself before continuing. "Well, I'd appreciate the help, little one!" he said, smiling and the tiny cat.

@NIGHT

"To the woods, then," NIGHT reminded the two, though mostly seeking clarification for herself. A warm sunny day was a nice change of pace for her and her cat. She slung her arms behind her head, enjoying the day.

"Hey, Yukiro, do you think the other players got themselves a nice familiar yet?" She smiled at the thought. "It'd be nice to have a playdate, with everyone getting along." NIGHT turned back to Yukiro, beaming excitedly. "Maybe that's just me though. Maybe I just want to show Nyanko off to everyone." Her kitten meowed in response, curiously looking out at the stalls passing the two by, paws on the rim of her pocket.

The two eventually reached the northern gate of town, crossing the barrier into the fields beyond. The player watched her familiar enjoy the breeze as they stepped outside, his eyes closed and sniffing at the wind. "It was raining when we met, maybe he doesn't remember the sun." NIGHT clarified.

@Yukiro

"To the woods, then," NIGHT declared. Yukiro nodded and followed her toward the town exit. Yukiro watched NIGHT put her arms behind her head. 
Oh no. He still had feelings for her. 
Bad Yukiro. Focus on something else. What kind of animal should I get? Yeah, focus on that. 

"Hey, Yukiro, do you think the other players got themselves a nice familiar yet? It'd be nice to have a playdate, with everyone getting along." NIGHT looked up at Yukiro, who went a little red and looked away. "Maybe that's just me though. Maybe I just want to show Nyanko off to everyone." The kitten meowed, curiously looking around from NIGHT's pocket.
Eventually the pair reached the edge of town and entered the grassy plains.
"It was raining when we met, maybe he doesn't remember the sun." 

"Huh? Oh! Yeah, he does look happy. So do you," he pointed out with a smile. 

@NIGHT

"Huh? Oh! Yeah, he does look happy. So do you."

"So do you!" NIGHT retorted, looking back at Yukiro with a grin. When her friend couldn't meet her eyes earlier, she knew something was up. She gave him a look over, hands behind her back, keeping an eye out for his expressions. "What's on your mind?" she asked, quizzically tilting her head. "Still thinking about your familiar?"

She took a moment to ponder, a hand petting Nyanko, with the realization and remembrance dawning on her early. In a muted tone, she voiced her concern.

"Is it about your feelings? For me...?"

NIGHT, for a brief moment, appeared much somber than before, her cheeriness going dim. But as quickly as it came, she picked herself up emotionally, and turned to head to the woods. She waved over to Yukiro, Nyanko peeping out of her pocket and meowing back towards him. "Come walk and talk with me!"

@Yukiro

"What's on your mind? Still thinking about your familiar?" NIGHT asked. 
Yukiro's mind was all over the place, but he just smiled. "That's what I trying to think about." 
Suddenly NIGHT was speaking in a much more somber tone. "Is it about your feelings? For me...?"
Yukiro mentally froze. What should one say in this situation?
Should I lie? No, that's a bad thing to do. But NIGHT looks so sad. What if pretending to not like her anymore is the only way to cheer her back up? Am I a bad person?
To Yukiro's surprise NIGHT seemed to cheer up on her own as she turned towards the woods. She waved over to Yukiro, Nyanko peeping out of her pocket and meowing back towards him.
"Come walk and talk with me!"
Yeah, he definitely did something wrong. Yukiro moved to keep up. 
"U-um," he stammered a bit, "We don't have to talk about that if you don't want to! We can talk about... birds! Or something..." Yukiro spoke quickly, trying frantically to find something that would cheer NIGHT up. "I'm nothing to worry about, really!"

@NIGHT

"That's not it," NIGHT chimed in, continuing to walk. She'd entirely prefer it if she were walking backwards -- a conversation like this should be face to face if possible. But remembering what happened the last time she tried... she glanced back at Yukiro instead. "I'm supposed to give you an answer, remember?"

"You really didn't do anything wrong. Promise!" The girl held up a pinky, grinning without a hint of hesitation. "But it's best that you should know. I don't want to lead you on if I can help it."

As the two continued crossing the fields, she joined back with her friend at his side. "Yukiro." NIGHT stated, with a calmness. "I'm sorry, and I'm flattered, but I'm not interested in you."

"But," she continued, wondering if he was paying attention. "You're still a dear friend to me, so..." Searching for his awareness, she looked at him with conviction. "I'll be rooting for you, with whoever you want to go after next."

@Yukiro

"I'm supposed to give you an answer, remember?" 
Yukiro's whole world stopped. What? Here? Now?
"You really didn't do anything wrong. Promise!" NIGHT held up a pinky, grinning without a hint of hesitation. "But it's best that you should know. I don't want to lead you on if I can help it," she said as she returned to Yukiro's side. "Yukiro. I'm sorry, and I'm flattered, but I'm not interested in you." 
Crack!

Something in Yukiro mind shattered. 
"A-Ah. Of course." 
"But, You're still a dear friend to me, so..." she looked at him with conviction. "I'll be rooting for you, with whoever you want to go after next." 
... I wanted to go after you next. 
Yukiro immediately grabbed all of his feelings and shoved them deep inside of him, smiling back at NIGHT. "Thank you! I-- I appreciate it."

@NIGHT

She nodded back at him, watching him intently. "Let me know if you need anything though." It wasn't easy to say it, but she bet the toll was harder for Yukiro. It would take time for the wounds to heal.

But they had a quest to go on, right now, so onwards they went.

"Oh, here," she remembered, picking up Nyanko from her pocket. NIGHT handed the kitten over to Yukiro, the creature wide-eyed from being moved, looking curiously at him. With a glint in her eye, she offered, "Hold him for me for a bit."

NIGHT walked briskly up ahead into the woods, the sun burning her head after all this time on the outside. She waved over to Yukiro, though, grinning. "This way!"

"I'll try to be quieter," she mentioned, hands on her hip as the two drew closer. "And keep an eye out for any threats." She tilted her head. "Do you still want a cat?"

@Yukiro

Spoiler

Used Ghost Treat! Tamable encountered!

"Oh, here," NIGHT said suddenly, plucking Nyanko from her pocket and placing the kitten in Yukiro's hands. The tiny cat's eyes were wide from being moved, looking curiously at Yukiro. With a glint in her eye, she offered, "Hold him for me for a bit."
Yukiro was a little startled by the sudden action, but the moment Nyanko started to mew and walked across his hands Yukiro's mood was restored. 

Yukiro followed NIGHT throught the forest. It was quiet. Except for NIGHT, that is. Yukiro let Nyanco sit on his small breastplate (he equipped his light plate armor so he'd have a place to sit). He also let Nyanco try to attack his chest. It was an adorable effort. 
"I'll try to be quieter. And keep an eye out for any threats. Do you still want a cat?" 
Yukiro looked down at Nyanko and smiled. 
"I think--"

WHAP!!

Something came out of nowhere and landed on Yukiro's head.

@NIGHT

Nyanko squealed noisily at the new creature, landing on top of Yukiro's head. NIGHT wore an expression of extreme surprise, before petting the small kitten, trying to comfort it from the scare. "I-- You felt that, right?" The girl confirmed. "Are you alright?"

From the boy's head peeped out a small, large-eyed critter that looked like a gremlin. Having never seen it before, NIGHT let out a loud yell of exclamation, backing away slowly as it continued ruffling through Yukiro's hair. "O-okay, what was that?"

Hesitantly, the girl reached out for the little -- mouse thing(?) -- and tried to grab at it. She felt a few bites, and they would've hurt if she hadn't been wearing her gloves. Eventually, she was able to pluck out the creature from her friend's locks, bringing it close to the two, to take a closer look at it. NIGHT was silent for a bit, but then managed to find her voice. "Yukiro..."

"... It looks diseased."

@Yukiro