[F02-SP] Watch This Clown -- <<Breaking the Unbreakable>>

From atop the boulder, the sun hat shook for a moment, before stopping completely. Basuke growled, intending to give the rock another pummeling, but couldn't bring himself to.

"Look, up there, you dolt," he continued, with a finger still pointed up to the hat. "It's right there, and it's new."

"Hmm?" Miyagi turned his head back up to look. "Oh! It's a nice sunny day out, I agree!"

What? Is he even listening to me at all now?

Eye twitching, Basuke added, "Yeah, nice day out! Makes you want to wear. A hat. Right?!"

"Uhuh, uhuh," the man agreed, grinning and fanning himself. "Yup, I sure would like a hat for myself."

And with the quickest of snap punches, he bashed at the rock, breaking the boulder's form inwards, not taking out any of its health once again. Instead, the rock shook enough to drop the accessory from its peak, the straw hat floating downwards to reach the ground.

ID: 130851 | BD: 3
Basuke missed!

The Boulder | HP: 11/50 | EVA: -2

Basuke | Lv. 1 | HP: 20/20 | EN: 0/2 (+1, -1) | DMG: 1

Edited by Basuke
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I-- You have got to be joking.

The sun hat didn't just fall on the grass -- no, it fell directly on top of Mr Miyagi's head, the old man grinning to himself, pleased with his new addition. "Wow, the gods must be taking kindly on me today!"

And from the side of the hat, a price tag fell, still attached to its brim.

<200,000col>

Basuke stared in absolute horror as a cold breeze swept by them, making the paper tag spin in place as the two looked upon each other in abject silence.

The boy could only raise a finger to point at the price tag. "Oi, Miyagi," he mouthed.

"Hmm?"

"It... it's brand new, isn't it? You-you paid 200,000 col for that hat."

"Haaaaaaaaaah?"

As the player wiped his sweat away from his forehead, the old man looked down at where the tag was, and nodded. "Oooooh! I sure am lucky today! This must've been my 20 years of prayer finally coming to fruition!"

Basuke found it within himself to direct another blow towards the rock beside them.

ID: 130852 | BD: 7
Basuke attacks The Boulder! (-1 DMG)

The Boulder | HP: 10/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

"Just admit that you bought it, bozo!" The boy roared, contorting his face with exasperation. Miyagi huffed, turning his head away from Basuke as he continued to fan himself a little more. "Hmph! You have no idea what you're talking about. You're just jealous that I'm such a strong believer of my gods!"

When the man raised his nose at the end of his sentence, a small slip of paper fell out of the hat. Basuke reached down and picked it up, reading its contents as best he could without blinding himself, with the light reflecting off the shiny, white paper incredibly well.

Stellar Fashion
Floor 2, Urbus

XX/XX/XX 09:34 ----- A64XXXXXXX0513
Item -------- Qty -------------------------------- Price
=================================

Straw Sun Hat x1 --------------- 200,000col

Unique Leaf Umbrellas x5 --- 80,000col

================================

> TOTAL: 600,000col

================================
Thank you for shopping at Stellar Fashion!
Goods sold are non-refundable.
Keep receipts for exchange within 3 days.

Basuke felt the primordial urge to end this old man for his antics growing, if it weren't for the fact that he would remain whiskered until the end of the game.

ID: 130853 | BD: 1
Basuke missed!

The Boulder | HP: 10/50 | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

"Okay," Basuke began to reason. "If you didn't buy it, Miyagi, then can you explain? This receipt?" He held it up towards the man, the boy's grin beginning to look cutthroat. The old man looked behind him for a moment, before ripping the piece of paper from his acquaintance's hand.

"Mhmmhm, okay, uhuh, alright..." Miyagi muttered, reading over the piece of paper. When silence fell upon the clearing, the man quickly stuffed the paper in his mouth, funneling it in with repeated pokes of his fingers, his teeth cronching and monching on it violently with his back turned to the boy.

Basuke, upon hearing this, silently wished to the gods that Miyagi had prayed to, that he had never come here to begin with.

His prayers would fall on deaf, nonexistent ears.

When Miyagi was done, he turned back towards Basuke, continuing to fan himself. "Ohohoho~" The man laughed, maintaining eye contact with the boy, before sauntering away, back into his hut.

ID: 130858 | BD: 1
Basuke missed!

The Boulder | HP: 10/50 | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

Basuke slammed his the side of his fist against the boulder once more, huffing with what's left of his anger for the day. "You," he grumbled, "will never know what it's like to me. What it's like to be all of us here under Aincrad's rules." Viewer's discretion is necessary to understand the irony that Basuke didn't get.

As the boy rose from his stand turned squat, he started heading back towards the entrance of the clearing, picking up the core of the apple he'd set aside earlier in the day to dispose of later. With two fingers he gestured to his eyes, and then back at the rock, having devolved into what seemed like a husk of its former self after the course of the morning.

"I'll be back to finish you off tomorrow," he promised, before turning his sights back towards Urbus, for one final night's rest in his inn room.

ID: 130859 | BD: 5

The Boulder | HP: 9/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke
  • 2 weeks later...

Rescind that. He'd expected the day to be his last, but it turned out to be an informative adventure instead. If he wasn't so close to breaking that rock, he would've ran down to the Town of Beginnings immediately. But the small chunk of health left on the boulder, from two days ago, left him more interested in pursuing his target. Once he got his whiskers off, he'd definitely have his freedom down.

Basuke jogged down to the clearing, a new glimmer of hope on his face. He slid in front of the rock, now miniscule, and was ready to deliver all his sick blows towards it, but decided it'd be good to warm up first. He got down and started to do push ups, putting his pushes to the count.

"ONE!" Push. "TWO!" Push. "THREE!" Push. "FOUR--"

"SHUT UP, YOUNG MAN!" Miyagi piped up from his hut. "I told you to keep it down!"

"YOU GOT NOTHING ON ME, SIR," he barked back. "NOT TODAY! NOT EVER!"

ID: 131923 | BD: 1
Basuke missed!

The Boulder | HP: 9/50 | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

"Seriously! What is with that racket?" Miyagi trudged outside, exposed to the clear, blue sky, beaming brightly down on the both of them. Basuke was still doing his warm up exercises, keeping track under his breath as the old man shuffled out, hands tucked together in his sleeves. "Are you done with the boulder yet, kid?"

"I'm-- about to be--!!"

The man turned to look at the rock, scoffing. "There's still a bit left, boy. If you're going to be certain about it, at least have the evidence to back it up."

"Dude--"

Basuke was fuming. He hissed, as he pushed himself to stand up, rolling his shoulders. "I-- What's your problem?! You talk like you've got a stick up your [a] the whole time I've been here! It's been two years, and I'm finally getting the hell out of here, Miyagi, so maybe you can can it, for once!"

ID: 131924 | BD: 1
Basuke missed!

The Boulder | HP: 9/50 | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

The old geezer shrugged, face pulled up to a sulk. "Jeez, kid. Maybe you should learn how to control your anger, for once." Then Basuke followed suit, contorting their face into a frown. "Seriously?! Control my anger? You really think I have a problem with that?"

"Yes."

"The only person I have a problem with is with you!!" The boy then sent a violent kick towards the rock, with force enough to take out another chunk of health from what was left on the bar. He gestured over to the boulder, smashing his foot back onto ground with a thud. "You know, I never was an angry person before, old man. But after meeting you--!" Basuke pointed to his face, near Miyagi's nose. "--I've really changed! And I can't tell if it's for the better or for the worst!"

The man squinted at the boy through his glasses, before shoving his hand out of his face.

ID: 131926 | BD: 10
Basuke attacks The Boulder!
1 + 2 = 3 DMG

The Boulder | HP: 6/50 (-3) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

He shoved his glasses up his nose, the lens reflecting the sunlight shining from above. "Basuke," he finally said, calling the boy by his name for the first time. "Do you even know why I told you to break this rock?" With a hand, Miyagi lightly patted the crumbling surface of the stone.

The boy was quiet, still in an offensive stance. "--No. You never [f] told me, but you never seemed to care either. What is it for, then?"

A moment of silence, before the man spoke again. "It's because I think you're worthy, Basuke. Worthy of my secrets." He opened his arms up wide, raising them to his sides. "You see, while you were punching this rock..."

"... I was studying the way of your punches."

"Huh?"

"And now I'm here to teach you... how you punch."

"How I--" He smashed his fist into the rock once more, in anger. "-- DON'T GIVE ME THAT CRAP MAN! I KNOW HOW I PUNCH, DAMMIT!"

ID: 131930 | BD: 8

The Boulder | HP: 5/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

"See? See see see?" Basuke carelessly pointed at the rock, the impact of his blow leaving the biggest indent he'd seen so far from himself on the rubble's surface. "I just punched, Miyagi. Did you even see that?" The man just waved the boy's protests off, as he continued to chant "See? See?" over and over again with the utmost enthusiasm.

"But do you know how to kick... properly?"

"Properly? What the heck does that entail, sir?" Basuke egged him on, through gritted teeth and a tight, locked jaw.

"See," the old man returned, placing his arms back in his sleeves again. "While you were kicking the rock... I was studying the way of your kicks. Do you, perhaps, want to--"

"-- NO! No, [f] you old man, I do NOT need to know how I kick, dammit, I HAVE been kicking the rock the whole time I was here!" To prove it, he delivered another kick to the rock, shaving off another point of health from its bar.

ID: 131931 | BD: 6

The Boulder | HP: 4/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

The mentor turned his nose up at Basuke's delivery of attack. "Hmph! A juvenile kick that one was, that's for sure." It was all the boy could to do clench his fist as he lowered his leg back to meet the floor. "Oh! How about this? My last and final trick for you to learn."

"You better spit it out quick then, old man, before I deliver it on you!"

"No violence against your elders." Miyagi warned, with a finger up, and the white light moving away from his glasses as he lowered his head. Basuke felt his fist tremble as he balled it up further. "Now, then..."

"Finally. While you were breaking the rock," the man continued, rubbing his chin with a hand, "I was building another one."

"WHAT?!"

"This one's made out of paper mache." The man knocked twice on the cliff-face beside the duo, opening a secret compartment. Within it were a handful of smaller boulders, made in the likeness of the rock they stood beside. Upon seeing this, Basuke launched another blow at the rock, using the side of his fist this time.

ID: 131932 | BD: 6

The Boulder | HP: 3/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

Miyagi brought out one of the crafted rocks out, holding it weightlessly in his arms. "Would you like to learn, Basuke? I feel like it really might dissuade your anger--"

"NO! NO, NO, NO!" The boy stomped his feet into the dirt, kicking it up at full force, dashing Miyagi's golden robes with sticky soil. "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I CAN'T TAKE THIS FOR ONE MORE SECOND -- FOR ONE MORE DAY!!!" He pointed with his fingers to his cheeks with a shaking, veiny hand. "YOU SEE THIS?! I'M GONNA HAVE THEM SURGICALLY REMOVED IF I HAD TO RIGHT AFTER THIS IS DONE, [ahole], AND THEN WE'LL SEE HOW SMUG YOU FEEL ABOUT HAVING TRAPPED ME HERE FOR TWO GODDAMNED FORGOTTEN YEARS!!!!"

Silence, except for Basuke's huffing and fuming. Miyagi pouted, during the time, hugging the paper mache rock closer to him. "You don't have to be that way about my rocks, boy."

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!"

ID: 131937| BD: 1
Basuke missed!

The Boulder | HP: 3/50 | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

One more flashback, then. And we'll make it quick too, as Basuke continues to wail on that rock with the last of his patience in check, and the last bit of health starts trickling away from what it has left on its bar.

- - -

Mr Miyagi was a bored, old man, lazing around in his home.

Right outside his little straw shack was a large, tall boulder. It had constantly been the bane of his existence, see, as it stood imposingly at the center of his space. Space he rightfully owned. It kinda sucked that it was there in the first place, to be honest. But he knew that it was there for one task, and one task only.

To tell players to go bash it up.

He had many come and go, each group of players obliterating the statue from existence. And for some reason the rock would always return the next day when he woke up.

It was infuriating.

ID: 131943 | BD: 7

The Boulder | HP: 2/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

The space in the clearing could be used for many, many hobbies. Tai-Chi, carpentry, flying a kite, even having a nice little garden to tend to outside. But with the boulder in the way all the time, save an afternoon or at most, a day? There was nothing he could do with the space.

Then Basuke came along, and he taught him everything he needed to know.

The boy pummeled at it each day, with the same fevor (given some difference) as he had right now, screaming and shouting, shaving the slightest bit of health off the rock. This was unlike the other adventurers, he noted with a raised brow. They came in packs, decimated it in a day, and left.

No, this boy was weak. Seriously weak. He definitely needed the training.

Every day, Basuke would beat the rock, and in his annoyance, Miyagi chided him, mourning the day where he'd leave. He'd envisioned seeing the clearing empty for a moment, before the tall boulder returned at dawn, by the time he woke.

ID: 131946 | BD: 8

The Boulder | HP: 1/50 (-1) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke

Living every day like this... It was rough.

Miyagi took the time to enjoy teasing Basuke, bullying him to gain his joy where the prospect of having a nice empty clearing just wouldn't anymore. And the old man wasn't a fool, either. He had noticed the scowling, fiesty anger the player had for the other packs, when they broke the rock down in a single day where he couldn't. From the bushes to the trees, Miyagi could see his pained expressions.

And pity began to well up inside him.

There was no way he could show it to the boy. He was certain he hated him, for what misfortune he'd brought onto the boy. Basuke would earn nothing for his troubles, except the standard reward and maybe a sense of freedom, finally, after beating the rock for two years.

And it would be time for Miyagi to learn to bear with the burden of having the rock as a permanent fixture in his front yard from now on.

He'd really hoped that Basuke would leave as the rock was growing smaller. Just give up one day and go, and leave his yard only occupied for when larger groups came in to receive his skill. But as the boy delivered the final blow, scattering the rubble into nothing but ashes and dust, Miyagi took a deep breath. The two year journey of the boy had finally ended.

It was about time he received what he was due all those years ago.

ID: 131947 | BD: 10
Basuke attacks The Boulder!
1 + 2 = 3 DMG

The Boulder | HP: -2/50 (-3) | EVA: -2

Edited by Basuke
# i called it. i called it. his last hit would be a 10, because rng really hates him,

There was no fanfare when the boy was done. He was trembling, shaking like a rabid feral animal. If he was willing to froth from his mouth, there would be absolute certainty that that's what the boy would do to show how much ferocity he still had in him. Against the rock. Against Miyagi. Against Cardinal for cursing him like this.

When the old man dropped the paper mache rock in his hands, Basuke hissed on instinct, bent and hunched over, a picturesque image of absolute agony. Instead of mockery, the man just... clapped for him. His first and only modicum of praise after all this time... came from the man he detested the most.

Mr Miyagi...

I hate you so much.

"Basuke," he finally managed to say, pushing up his old, loose glasses. The other arm of his was tucked behind his back, in the politest stance the boy had seen the man take. "Why don't you come into my house for a cup of tea?"

Edited by Basuke

As the man began to shuffle back into his hut, making it just past the bend of the cliffs that surrounded his home--

"No."

It took the man by surprise -- the boy's resistance came to him as incredible stubbornness. "No," he repeated himself, when Miyagi's expression betrayed his own thoughts. "I'm not going in there."

"I'm-" Basuke gestured with an open hand on his chest, fingers spread out. "-I'm finally free, old man." The quest giver looked on solemnly, looking at his stance up and down. "That you are."

"Right. That means I can finally choose what I can and want to do." His tone was gentle, but firm at the same time. Clearly, there was some hatred sprinkled in there... but his body language told Miyagi otherwise.

Basuke was really trying hard not to hurt the man's feelings.

"So, my first act of freedom... Is to deny spending more time with you, sir."

"It's not you, sir."

"I know it isn't," Miyagi barked back, almost nonchalantly, seemingly insulted.

"I just..." Basuke paused, slowly regaining his composure. "...I hate you. Two years of seeing your ugly mug in this godforsaken clearing is more than enough to drive someone crazy."

"Your antics always make me feel like I'm the insane one. And I don't need any more of your scolding, only barely wrapped up in niceties to seem that you don't mean to be mean," he added, tilting his head. "But you are. You're the meanest goddamned person I've ever met, I've ever known, I've ever lived with for this long in my life."

"And I hate you for it."

Silence. Miyagi didn't know what else to say in a situation like this. But then he didn't have to, as Basuke began to turn around, calling out to him behind his shoulder as he walked. "Goodbye, old man. I hope I never have to see you again."

Goodbye, Miyagi thought in response, watching the boy's form fade into the distance. I hope you never have to deal with antics like these ever again.

And good luck on your journey, boy. Because I think you'll need it.

When the wind blustered past him, finally setting the environment around him in motion, the old man began retreating into his hut to make himself a cup of hot, green tea. He'd prepare the futon, of course, for himself to enjoy and ravel in his delight. Watching a colorful paper pinwheel by his window, and lazing down on the wooden floor, waiting patiently for another set of willing adventurers came to him to beat up his large, towering rock.

Tonight, he would rest, dreaming a pleasant dream, where he was able to enjoy the open space in front of his yard, made clear for all his needs. He wouldn't have to stay cooped up in his hut any further. It would be what he had always wanted for himself. It would be the most pleasant of dreams for him.

And in his morning prayers, when the day had only barely begun to break, he'd squat down on his cottony mattress, whispering to the gods he believed were up above...

... Adding in an extra person to rain their blessings down on.

Basuke.

Edited by Basuke

The final day was over, and Basuke quickly washed his face off with some water from a nearby creek, clearing the whisker marks from his cheeks as the quest log had instructed him. He heaved the heaviest of sighs, feeling the most relieved he'd ever felt in his life. The great rock burden had finally been lifted, and he had never felt so free, so thankful for his being before this singular moment.

He would have so much to be able to do. He'd be able to go seeking new friends again. Find some new shops and see what they had in store. An adventure -- a proper one, this time, where he'd be able to help out other players in their time of need. Just the thought of it made his heart race, a brilliant, shining smile returning to his face, a great big smile pulling his cheek bones up higher than he'd ever thought they'd been.

With a spring in his step, he made his way over to the teleporter, the sky overhead still a bright azure blue.

And with a flash of white, he was gone, on his way, finally, back to Floor 1.

- End.

- - - - -

Thread Summary

[Total]
+ 5SP
+ 1,200col
+ <<Martial Arts>>

Spoiler

[Quest Rewards]
+ 1SP
+ <<Martial Arts>>

[Thread Progression]