[PP - F22] Anchor

0000504_600_740x.jpg?v=1517594943
You are the light that is blinding me, you're the anchor that I tie to my brain.
'Cause when it feels when I'm lost at sea, you're the song that I sing again and again.

They'd been fighting zombies for longer than Lessa realized. As she and Bahr materialized in Coral, she realized that the sun had already reached its zenith. In fact, it was well on it's way toward the horizon, marching dutifully toward the massive mountains. Though the sky was still a cheery blue, she knew it would soon be painted gold with approaching dusk. Sunsets on floor twenty-two were her favorite thing. Or, at least, one of her favorites. Lessa found that, lately, she was finding a bit more to love in the game around her. Things didn't look quite as bleak as they once had.

The woman turned to her companion, gesturing toward the city's gate as she began to walk. "It's a bit of a hike" she confessed, "but the solitude is worth it. Believe me, Manderly is amazing." She was gushing and she knew it, but it was difficult not to. Lessa truly believed the property was the most beautiful in Aincrad, and it was all hers.

The pair strode along together as the cool breeze carried the floor's intoxicating aroma. Rich soil mingled with the crisp scent of fresh water, and if Lessa was correct, a far-off thunderstorm. It was the smell of Northern Michigan. It was the smell of home. 

"You know," she began as they left the city behind and ventured deeper into the forest. "You're the first one to see the place, besides myself. And Riker, of course." She gave a short laugh, a small shrug, and said, "We don't have many visitors."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The twenty-second floor truly was breathtaking, just as Bahr had remembered it. There was a quaintness that pervaded every molecule of the floor, along with a certain romantic vibe that hung in the air - though Bahr wouldn't admit that to himself. A cacophony of earthy aromas played along to the floor's naturalesque melody, filling Bahr's nostrils and putting him at ease. A soundtrack accompanied the tune, that of spirited woodland creatures, trickling streams and the whisper of trees as the crisp breeze rolled through their lush leaves. The chaos of gripping zombie combat seemed so far behind them now, ubiquitous tranquility replacing the eerie and unsettling vibes of the freak show they had attended only moments before. 

"You know," Lessa started as they left the safe zone and ventured into the forest, increasingly amber light peaking through the leaves as they slowly made their way up the incline. "You're the first one to see the place, besides myself. And Riker, of course. We don't have many visitors." A small laugh accompanied her explanation, just another of the beautiful sounds the floor offered. Bahr could recall a time when Lessa would barely allow a smile around him. He was happy that they'd moved beyond that stage in their relationship. Her smile and a short laugh could compel even the stormiest clouds to take their leave.

"You don't say? Guess that makes us special. Wouldn't you say so, Bajesus? ... Bajesus? Hey, you alive in there?"

Ever so slowly and tenderly, the minuscule pig emerged from his pocket, rubbing its tired eyes with its hooves and issuing the tiniest sneeze imaginable. It took a short look around and yawned before beginning its climb onto Bahr's shoulder, only barely able to heave its plump rump to the top. Once there, it offered what could only be described as a wave to Riker, in its own boar-like fashion. This caused the tiny swine to lose its balance, however, plopping onto its back on Bahr's shoulder where it wriggled around for a moment before finally managing to get back on its hooves. Bahr stifled a laugh, not wanting to agitate the small creature's footing.

"I'm sure you've got an amazing view. I don't think I've ever been so high up on this floor. Last time I came around, I mostly hung out around the lake. I can see now that, as nice as it was, I was missing out on some of the more prime spots." There was a cheesy grin plastered all over his face at this point. A much needed break from the disarray of the war on Cardinal, in one of the most beautiful places it had generated so far. The fact that it was with an attractive woman made it all the better.

His eyes flickered down and to the side, sneaking a peak at Lessa as they strode the path. She was wearing a smile as well. It was the sort of expression that made him feel as though he could confide anything in her. Strange, considering the brief tenure of their friendship. And perhaps it was only him, but it felt like they had become rather close in the short time they had known each other. No doubt, there had been a myriad of experiences shared within that time. Some sad, others intense. One angry, one tender. A few awkward, and others completely natural. And now there would be another to add to the list. How it would play out was anyone's guess.

"Anyways, thanks for bringing me out here," he concluded, cupping the back of his head. "I needed it."

When the tiny familiar finally made his appearance, Lessa felt her heart melt into mush. "Hi Bajesus," she cooed, blue eyes shimmering with admiration. That impossibly small pig had one hell of an effect on her. Abesently, she wondered if it was an actual game mechanic. Was she inflicted with 'overwhelming cuteness' or something? And when the little guy sneeze, gracelessly sending himself sprawling, she reached for him without thinking."Oh, there you go," she murmured as Bajesus found his feet without aid. "Be careful buddy." At her side, Lessa's own familiar gave a small hum of agreement, watching his friend with attentive amber eyes. Were Bajesus to fall, Lessa suspected Riker would do his absolute best to catch him. How a fierce wolf and a microscopic pig had forged a bond, Lessa wasn't sure. It was something of a miracle. Lessa's gaze shifted from Bajesus to his owner, and for a fleeting moment, something tightened around her heart. I guess the same could be said about us.

"Not a whole of people venture out this far," she explained, brushing her hair back from her face as she turned to survey their surroundings. Through a gap in the curtain of trees, she managed to catch the sun glistening on the lake's smooth surface. "There's so much water here. I think that's one of the reasons I chose it. You're never too far from a lake, or a river, or even a tiny crick." Her smile softened around the edges, and that haze of nostalgia settled across her features. "Michigan has thousands and thousands of lakes. You know, you're never more than six miles from water, no matter where in the state you are?"

No, he probably didn't know that, but why did he need to now? Wasn't it sort of an unusual time for mitten-state trivia? The woman reached up a hand and raked it through her hair. Much of her golden mane had come out of the braids during battle, and her fingers expertly freed the rest as they walked. "Yeah," she finally concluded, fluffing the wild waves of her loose hair, "I needed it too. The time on the floor, definitely, but also someone to spend it with, y'know?" She smiled at him, albeit a bit shyly. "I've spent a lot of time alone with my own thoughts, and that hasn't gotten me very far. Talking to you... well, it's been a nice change of pace."

Lessa's encounter with Swine Bajesus went about how Bahr would have expected. She seemed to have a weak spot for the puny pig, perhaps even more so than Bahr himself. If he wasn't careful, she might [censored] him away one day and he'd never see his miniature friend again. While Bahr wasn't fond of the thought, there wasn't a doubt in his mind that Lessa would treat him better than he ever could, if her coos of admiration and gleaming marbles were any indication.

They continued to saunter along as Bahr listened to Lessa's exuberant explanation and reminiscing. Completely smitten with her home in the real world, it seemed. And if it was as akin to the twenty-second floor as she made it out to be, Bahr couldn't blame her. Sounded like a far cry from his home in North Dakota, where nothing existed but rippling plains that transformed into an endless expanse of white for no less than six months out of the year. 

He'd have to visit someday.

"I needed it too," she remarked as she pulled the braid from her hair and allowed the golden thread to fall loosely around her shoulders. "The time on the floor, definitely, but also someone to spend it with, y'know?" She was smiling at him now, tangerine light illuminating her visage with a coral glow as they reached a break in the trees. He was glad the light was on her rather than him, or she may have caught his blush. "I've spent a lot of time alone with my own thoughts, and that hasn't gotten me very far. Talking to you... well, it's been a nice change of pace."

And just what had Lessa's impact been on Bahr? He'd caught himself thinking about it more often than he cared to admit. At first, he'd cursed her for stealing away his competitive edge. The last weeks had been fraught with blunders and failures in combat, his apprehension holding him back from giving it everything he had. But as time went on, he grew to appreciate what she had given him as more of a gift. Somehow she had managed to reel him back from the edge he hadn't even realized he was standing on. There were still times he approached the fringe, but now he could see the line clearly. More than that, he had experienced a fundamental change in himself as a result of her company. Less anger, more compassion. Through a new lens, he looked back on his actions over the past few years with disappointment.

He had wasted too much time in the dark. To the point that it had become a part of him. It made him feel alive, half sick with the thrill of wrongness after being numb for so long. He had convinced himself that nobody could care for him, not even himself. But since she had come along, he felt connected to something else. Someone. And suddenly, it felt as though the mask was slipping. Things, people, that never seemed to matter before were suddenly starting to matter. 

And it scared the hell out of him.

"I know exactly what you mean," was all he managed to articulate as a response, seemingly unable to manifest these feelings into words. "I'm happy I'm not the only one who thinks so. Wonder what would have happened if I hadn't decided to have a mental breakdown at the Monument of Life that day? I feel as though my life would be completely different."

Silence blanketed them as they continued along with their trek, the carrot-colored sky slowly adopting hints of scarlet as the sun gradually sank. Not so far in the distance, Bahr swore he could see a warm light peaking through the trees. "Is that the place?" he inquired, gesturing with his hand. He looked at her with a goofy grin slapped on his face, childish mischief playing in his eyes. "Last one there cooks supper."

He bolted as soon as the words left his lips, the jarring movement almost throwing Swine Bajesus off of his shoulder. Bahr knew it was unfair to drop something like that and start running with no warning, but what was the fun in doing everything fairly all the time?

I feel as though my life would be completely different."

What a nice thought, knowing that she'd had such an impact on a person's life. Lessa had hoped to touch lives that way as a teacher, and Sword Art Online had thrown a wrench in her plans. Yet here she was, inside that stupid floating castle, changing someone's life. And hopefully for the better. It was, if Bahr felt the same way she did. She looked forward to his messages, and was always eager to see him again. Even though she had almost died with him, she still felt like - 

"Last one there cooks supper."

"Wha?" was all she could manage before Bahr leaped ahead of her. Swine Bajesus clung desperately, like a large bur on the large man's shoulder, bouncing as his master bounded forward. Whipped up by the excitement, Riker let loose a giddy yip and bolted after, all four paws off the path as he flew. Lessa was left standing, dumbstruck, watching her three friends draw closer to her house. By the time her mind caught up, and her body finally moved, the trio was half-way there. And by the time she finally reached them, they were waiting in front of her door.

"That was cheap," she informed her friend, cheeks flushed with effort and annoyance. But something about seeing Bahr standing on her front porch dulled the sharp edges of temper. So instead of chewing him out, she sighed, and opened the front door. Riker rushed inside, bumping Lessa's leg as he trotted ahead of the small pack. Lessa followed, and held the door open for Bahr and Bajesus. "Welcome to Manderly."

The door swung open into a small, cozy foyer. A round table guarded the space, just large enough to support a vase of sweet-smelling flowers. On one side, stairs led up to the second floor bedrooms. On the other was a simple dining room with a seascape on the wall. Beyond lay a small hallway, which Lessa motioned her guests down. It opened into a large living area, complete with kitchen and family room. It was all done in muted colors, save for the splashes of pastels that the woman favored. A stone fireplace stood prominent against the right wall, but the most impressive element was windows. The entire far wall was massive glass panes, filling the house with natural light, and providing a jaw-dropping view of the lake. A little awkwardly, Lessa smiled. "Here it is. I guess you can look around while I figure out something for dinner."

"That was cheap," she huffed, drawing a cheesy grin out of Bahr. 

"I have no idea what you're talking about," he lied coyly. Bajesus seemed no more amused than Lessa, and were it capable of giving Bahr an earful, it probably would have. Instead, it shakily climbed back down into the safety of its pocket nest, away from the prying eyes of the rest of the party. "Guess this means you're cookin'."

"Welcome to Manderly."

As the door swung open, Bahr's eyes lit up. The cozy foyer and charming wooden features did wonders for generating a warm and inviting atmosphere. Gentle light filled the area, its glow providing a soothing ambiance the likes of which rivaled Bahr's shop. Through the hallway, Bahr noted the consistent theme of soft colors that pervaded the household, splashes of color adding a bit of life without violating the mellow vibe. It felt new and familiar all rolled into a single homely experience.

And the living area - oh, the living area. Natural light flooded in from the enormous window that lined the far end of the parlor, betraying the relative darkness of the hallway they had taken to get there. If one were to peer outward, they could catch a glimpse of the massive lake that rested at the base of the mountain they had scaled, its innumerable calm ripples catching the tangerine light that saturated the valley like bowl of shimmering diamonds. A modest kitchen shared the space, lined with updated appliances - well, as updated as one could get in Aincrad. And to place the cherry atop this proverbial cake of a living area was the cobblestone fireplace, every bit as classic and inviting as the rest of the house.

So this is where she spends her days... Bahr mentally mused, casting his eyes over his companion. Guess I can see now why she rarely leaves.

Stranger was the idea that she would often only leave for him, but that seemed a bit presumptuous. Certainly he wasn't the only person skulking around the fringes of her life. Her natural beauty and sharp wit likely had her saddled with hundreds of eager suitors. It would be a bit arrogant to assume that he was the one she was spending all of her time with. 

But what was the harm in being a little arrogant, occasionally?

"Here it is. I guess you can look around while I figure out something for dinner," she said with a smile, breaking off to rustle through the cupboards of her kitchen.

"Don't mind if I do," he admitted, slowly stepping forward into the room and allowing his head to move on a swivel as he took it all in. He found himself drawn to the window and the view it encapsulated. It was something that his own home lacked. Sure, it had its perks, but paled in comparison to mysticism that seemed to permeate Lessa's property. It felt a bit silly to think so, but everything about it just screamed Lessa. She seemed like the type of person to constantly wonder, think and feel about everything, and this place perfectly captured that essence. 

"I've gotta say," Bahr started, turning his head from the view toward the kitchen, "I'm really impressed. You have a beautiful home."

With her head buried in a cupboard, Bahr could not see her smile. But the pleasure, and the pride, was evident in her tone. "Thank you. I really love it here. It's peaceful. A sort of escape from the realities of the game, you could say." She emerged with a box of spaghetti noodles, which she plopped unceremoniously on the counter. "I hope pasta is okay with you," she said, turning back to him. "It's sort of-" Her breath caught at the sight of Bahr in her house, at her window. Suddenly scrambling, Lessa cleared her throat and tried again. "Um, its sort of a staple around here. It's one of the few things I can make."

She turned to fill a pot with water, and nearly tripped over her familiar. As Swine Bajesus explored the new space, Riker plodded along behind him, forming a silly little train. Lessa carefully stepped around the wolf, then glanced over her shoulder. "Uh, hey, do you want anything to drink? There's lemonade in the fridge. And a few cans of pop, I think. There's glasses in the cupboard right there." With her hands busy, Lessa could only gesture with a nod of her head. "Sorry, I should have offered earlier. I guess putting points into my hermit skills are hurting my hosting abilities." With fluid, practiced motions, the woman put the water on to boil, washed her hands, and gathered up a handful of dried pasta. She snapped the brittle sticks in half with a sharp crack, and dropped them into the warming water. On the adjacent burner, Lessa placed a small sauce pan of red sauce. Then, as a final act, she popped a pan of garlic bread into the oven. It all took only a few minutes.

"It's not gourmet," she informed Bahr, moving to him, "but it's food." Resting her hip on the arm of the overstuffed couch, Lessa glanced around. "Now that that's out of the way, I have an incredibly important question. What are your thoughts on Christmas? Because that closet behind you is filled with decorations that I could use help putting up."

As Lessa rummaged through the kitchen, Bahr managed to outfit himself with more casual clothing. A plain, comfortable long sleeve shirt that was dark gray in coloration, along with ordinary black jeans with white socks poking out at the bottom. It didn't feel right to be outfitted in combat gear in the middle of his friend's living room. That being said, it hadn't yet occurred to Bahr that this would be Lessa's first time seeing him without the red coat and other battling attire. More than literal armor, it served as somewhat of a mental armor for him. Wearing it made him feel like the Crimson Marauder, or the Bloodedge, or whatever other threatening moniker he had been given. It made him feel like he had more presence, and this brought him peace of mind. Without it, he felt somewhat exposed and vulnerable. But in a place like this, that didn't bother him.

"I hope pasta is okay with you." Bahr swiveled his head in the direction of her voice. "It's sort of-" ... Sort of what? Bahr kept his eyes steady on hers for a moment. Was something wrong? "Um, its sort of a staple around here. It's one of the few things I can make."

Bahr would be lying if he said he wasn't at least a little disappointed. He'd had spaghetti for the past month straight, ever since he found some pasta and sauce on sale on the first floor. It had been an offer too good to refuse, so he had bought all of it. This had been a woeful mistake. But the fact that Lessa was willing to cook anything for him brought a warm feeling to his cheeks. He'd have taken a stiff chunk of uncooked ramen noodles with peanut butter slathered over it with a smile, had that been what she offered him.

"Yeah, that sounds great," he replied as a soft smile graced his lips. "I'll take whatever's convenient for you."

This grin grew wider when she stumbled around their familiars as they sniffed around. Her house was probably a bit more lively now than she was used to. Despite this, she didn't seem the least bit perturbed. Bahr was about to command Swine Bajesus to get out of the kitchen, but it seemed as though it already had, venturing off to explore the other nooks and crannies of the household.

"Uh, hey, do you want anything to drink? There's lemonade in the fridge. And a few cans of pop, I think. There's glasses in the cupboard right there," she informed with a head motion, hands too full to do much else. "Sorry, I should have offered earlier. I guess putting points into my hermit skills are hurting my hosting abilities."

"Nonsense, you're cooking me dinner. I'd say you're doing just fine," he said as he approached the cupboard, retrieving two glasses which he pinched together with a light clink before meandering over to the fridge, taking care not to get in the blonde's way as she nimbly maneuvered through the shared space. The contents of the fridge were as neat and orderly as the rest of the house, a far cry from Bahr's own. While he kept his space tidy, there was no helping his fridge. It was constantly in total disarray. Not uncleanly by any means, but he probably would have had to dig for a pitcher of lemonade at his house, whereas here it was a simple retrieval.

He poured a glass for each of them before making his way back to the couch and taking a seat. It was uncomfortably comfortable. The sort of couch that was a trap. Once you were there, you were staying there. Thanksgiving in Aincrad with a couch like this would be a recipe for disaster. He'd zonk out for sure.

"It's not gourmet, but it's food," Lessa concluded, exiting the kitchen and joining Bahr in the parlor. She rested her hip against the couch he had found himself halfway enveloped by, looking down at the man with an inquisitive expression. "Now that that's out of the way, I have an incredibly important question. What are your thoughts on Christmas? Because that closet behind you is filled with decorations that I could use help putting up."

Christmas decorations? Was that something that people in Aincrad actually did? Come to think of it, the Town of Beginnings had always gotten pretty festive this time of year. It was Bahr's first year owning a house and, frankly, he'd had no interest in decorating it. Not like he got enough visitors to justify such a thing, anyways. He looked back over the couch toward the closet, and with an unflattering grunt, hoisted himself from the entrancing seat and to his feet.

"Sure, sounds like a plan. It's the least I can do." He made his way to the closet and opened it, and his eyes sparkled with interest. Tons of decorations. He had never taken Lessa as the sort of woman to be so into holidays, but he couldn't say that he was surprised, either. People make the best out of their situation in Aincrad, that's what she had told him. It seemed that she was living by the example she had suggested. "Wow," Bahr affected with an exhale, "you're really not messing around here." Where to even start? There were lights, tinsel, bells, a tree, countless ornaments, and a few other Christmas related items. 

His fingers reached into the closet and plucked out an ornament. It was simple and spherical, red in coloration. Definitely belonged on a tree. "Why not start with the tree?" he inquired, turning his head to address Lessa with a warm smile, the crimson orb still resting in his palm. "It's my favorite part of decorating for the holidays. It always turns out different every year, even with the same ornaments. There's something refreshing about it. Not to mention..." His eyes strayed to one of the vacant corners of the room, right next to the giant window. "I think it would really tie the room together. And imagine seeing the lights shining through the window from outside? It would look great."

Swine Bajesus and Riker had concluded their adventure at the pair's feet, poking around and investigating the contents of the closet. Bahr leaned over and scooped up the tiny pig, plopping it onto his shoulder and giving it a couple pats on the head. "We've got a great pair of helpers here, too. I bet if we tie a string around Bajesus, he'd make a great addition to the tree." The baby boar huffed indignantly at the prospect, its disapproval evident in the irritated expression clinging to its tiny face. With his mind made up, Bahr reached into the closet and slowly pulled out the box containing the tree. "I was thinking right by the window, in that corner over there. Unless you had another place in mind?"

While Bahr searched through her incredibly festive closet, Lessa decided to follow his lead, and change into something more comfortable. It was silly, she supposed, not wanting anyone to watch her while she changed. It wasn't like the system would leave her entirely nude during a transition, and wasn't equipping new clothing sort of an in-game mechanic? Or, unequipping. Still, while his back remained turned, she quickly outfitted herself in blue jeans and a loose-fitting pink blouse. It wasn't her usual bumming-around-the-house attire, but she figured Bahr wasn't quite ready for Lessa in her true element. Yoga pants and oversized hoodies could wait.

"Sure, starting with the tree sounds good." She moved up along-side him to help ease the box from the closet. Once it was in the open, she placed the base and began to fan out the wire branches. "Honestly, I didn't expect to find a fake tree, but a little specialty shop on the fourth floor carries them." She paused to admire her handy-work, then dove back in. "We always had real trees growing up. Cut our own, or bought them from the fireman's lot when we got older. I think I'd like to cut down my next tree. Assuming we're still going to be here a year from now." It was a somber thing to say, and part of her regretted the whole line of thought. After years stuck in the floating castle, most players had come to avoid discussing the abysmal progress being made. They were only a quarter of the way home, and no doubt, the bosses would only get more difficult. To dwell on that fact only killed the mood, so Lessa gave a small sigh and straightened once more.

She gazed at her companion, again a bit startled by his casual wear. She was so accustomed to the vibrant crimson, and its stark contrast with his white hair. The more muted gray and black were a jarring change. Jarring, but perhaps not entirely unpleasant. Of course, in typical Bahr fashion, he still clutched a red ornament. "That really is your color," she mused with a small smile, gesturing toward the orb. "Must be how you got your nickname? The Crimson-something-or-other?" She did remember him mentioning that to her. Was it their first meeting? "Crusader? Crimson Crusader?" It sounded right. But maybe for a different reason? "Er, no, maybe not. That's another guy."

Lessa eased the final pieces of the tree into place, admiring the view of the lake through the artificial boughs. Night was slipping into the valley with the soft sweetness of a lover, and it was equally irresistible. She had never been one to pass up a good sunset, whether in the real world, or in the game. Again, the woman was reminded of just how perfect a fit her home truly was. She cast Swine Bajesus a wicked smile, then winked, and stated, "I think our pig-on-a-string would make a great angel atop the tree."

"We always had real trees growing up. Cut our own, or bought them from the fireman's lot when we got older. I think I'd like to cut down my next tree. Assuming we're still going to be here a year from now."

It felt like there was something special about that last statement. The fact that, if they were both there a year from now, Lessa expected to be spending it with Bahr. It poured a warmth into his heart that he hadn't felt in quite some time. She really wanted him around. Not out of convenience, or because he was useful. She really cared. No strings attached. His worth to her wasn't contingent on his ability to fight, or whether or not he could absorb the stories of her woes every time they met, or whether he could pay for dinner. How long had it been since he felt unconditional mutual appreciation like that?

He was probably reading into it too much.

"I happen to know a guy who's good with an axe," Bahr started, taking a slow faux swing while pretending he had one in his hands. She was busy rummaging about, so luckily she didn't witness the goofy display. "I'll see if he can give me a few pointers before next year, and we'll go get you something fresh for sure." 

Her eyes were stuck to him now, perusing his lightly masked frame before settling on the scarlet orb between his fingers. A small smile graced her face as she saw it. "That really is your color," she mused with a point, his eyes flickering to the ornament before a chuckle pass his lips. "Must be how you got your nickname? The Crimson-something-or-other? Crusader? Crimson Crusader? Er, no, maybe not. That's another guy."

He pinched the bridge of his nose with his free hand as an irritated grin stretched across his face. Eventually he'd make a name for himself. Until then, it seemed nobody was ever really going to know any of his nicknames. "Let's just go with with Bahr the Bahrbarian. Or Bahrd, though I don't play any instruments. Or Bahrber - I did cut that guy's hair once. Wonder why he never asked me to do it again?" Laugh it off. It was better than getting twisted over something as silly as a nickname. 

"Still Ace, for you," he remarked as stretched past her and placed the orb on the tree. It was a bit smaller, so it deserved a place near the top. "I dare you to show me a single F you got, ever. Bet you can't." With the ornament placed, he bent over and opened a box containing more. On top of the various knick-knacks and spheres that filled the vessel sat a tiny plant. Mistletoe, bound together by a single red ribbon. He lifted it from the box and cast a wry glance toward Lessa. "Oh really?" he asked as he stretched past her again, attaching it to the support beam that lingered near the tree. 

"Trying to make a move on me. I see how it is."

Lessa laughed at the man's suggested nicknames. The pair definitely had the same sense of humor, and she could appreciate that. "What about Bahr the Bahrtender? I could really go for some hard apple cider right about now." She paused for a moment, shrugged, and stated, "I figure it'd be legal now. Though I guess I'm not entirely certain how old I am anymore. Isn't that a weird thought?" The woman trailed off as the reality of that fact dawned on her. When had she had her last birthday? And what day was it, in Aincrad? Blinking owlishly at the racing thoughts, Lessa decided to shove it all aside with another toothy grin. "Or Bahr the Bahrista? Could you make me a latte?"

"Oh I definitely had Fs," she informed him, glancing dubiously at the ball of tangled Christmas lights. She had never even used them, and they were already a knotted mess. Jesus, do they just come like that? Or do they tangle themselves up just to stay true to form? Regardless, she drew the mass of wires closer, and nimbly picked through them. Her gaze remained fixed on her work as she continued. "I crashed and burned in my math classes. I worked really hard though. Memorized everything I needed for the tests. Went to study sessions. Did the homework, and the retakes when they were available. But those problems just did not like me." She pursed her lips in thought, then added, "I did okay in trig though. Shapes are cool. Numbers are not."

"Oh really?"

Lessa glanced up from her impossible task to see Bahr hanging the mistletoe. The blonde rolled her eyes. "Oh geeze," she muttered, dropping the lights and moving over to him. "I normally don't actually hang it," came her explanation as she gazed upward, hands on her hips. "It looks pretty good pinned to the mantle over the fire." She wanted to tear the thing down, but she could tell that it was just out of reach. Curse Bahr for having a good seven inches on her. So she quirked an eyebrow at the little plant and it's red ribbon. "It's actually a really weird tradition. Historically, mistletoe was used to cure things like menstrual cramps. And y'know, the Old English word was 'misteltan,' where 'mistel' means 'dung' and 'tan’ means 'twig.' So you're kissing under the poop branch. Even the druids used to-"

"What about Bahr the Bahrtender? I could really go for some hard apple cider right about now." There was a small pause while she pondered something, but then she shrugged it off. "I figure it'd be legal now. Though I guess I'm not entirely certain how old I am anymore. Isn't that a weird thought?" Strange indeed. Just how old was she? She couldn't have been too much younger than Bahr, considering she didn't look it. It got Bahr wondering how old he was by now. He'd barely been legal drinking age by the time he started the game. But that felt like years ago. It probably - no, it definitely was.

"Or Bahr the Bahrista? Could you make me a latte?"

This coaxed a grin out of Bahr, stirring him from his thoughts. Of course he could make her a latte. Whether or not he would, though, remained to be seen. He caught her just in time to see her eyes roll.

"Oh geeze," she started, but the rest was a blur. There was something striking about Lessa standing beneath the mistletoe. How comfortable she looked in her casual clothing, the soft expression that she wore, the small curl that tugged at the edges of her lips as she spoke. His eyes rested on those lips as they eloquently moved with each word spoken, though Bahr couldn't make out the words over the thudding of his heartbeat in his ears. His eyes then shifted up to meet with hers, seeing a happiness in them that felt warm and inviting. He'd taken a mental note of her beauty before, but never before had it had such an impact on him.

More than that, there was something else. A chemistry he had been trying to ignore. When they were together, life had a sense of wonder that Bahr had forgotten, and everything was vibrant. He was happy to be alive. And when they were apart, he caught himself thinking about her all the time. Wondering when the next time they would be together would be. He'd been ready to leave the tent earlier that evening, but as soon as he saw that streak of gold, he was happy to stay. There was just something about the girl that drew him to her. And while this seemingly magnetic attraction was usually ethereal, tonight it felt physical.

Just do it.

His body seemed to lean forward of its own accord, one of Bahr's hands slowly reaching up and gingerly gracing her cheek and jaw. In the same fluid motion, he closed his eyes and tenderly pressed his lips against hers. His other arm absently snaked around her waist, pulling her closer to him as dopamine flooded his senses. Everything about it felt so absolutely right. Being that that was the case, why did Bahr feel himself afflicted with a pang of guilt?

When he finally broke the kiss, he still held her close to him, the hand on her cheek having transitioned to idly playing with golden strands of her hair. His eyes remained affixed, completely lost in the sea that was her eyes. Something jarred him from the trance, though. A smell that seemed out of place. With a few whiffs, he was able to identify it. 

"Uhm... is something burning?"

Oh.

Oh.

The first thing she noticed was the warmth. It was in his lips on hers, and the breath that lingered between them. It was in his palm on her cheek, his arm around her waist, and the sheer nearness of him. Then, suddenly, it was in her face, her stomach, her heart. Her senses were filled with him, and he occupied her every thought. Not entirely unlike the past weeks, when she'd found herself wondering about him far more than she cared to admit. She had been caught up in him for a long time, but now, it was far more literal. Later, she would reflect on how their first kiss was shared over talk of periods and poop. The thought would first paralyze her with horror, and then leave her wondering if maybe she should just throw herself off Aincrad afterall. But in the moment, while it lasted, there was nothing but him.

And then those lips were doing something other than kissing her. They were moving. Wait, was he talking? Something of a sleepy smile still clung to Lessa's lips as she gazed up at him. He was asking if something was burning? Distantly, she was aware of the smell of smoke. Huh. Weird. "Yeah," she answered him, a bit dreamily. There was a beat of silence, and then her eyes lost their cloudiness in an instant. Thrust out of her trance, Lessa snapped to full attention, then sprung into action. "Oh crap."

The woman lunged for the kitchen with surprising speed and agility, snapping up a towel from where it hung on the fridge door. She wrenched the oven open, and was greeted by a plume of black smoke. It engulfed her, choked her, and left her blinded as she grabbed wildly for the pan. Muttered curse words rolled from her lips like a reverent prayer, but not even a god of cooking could save the garlic bread. Half a dozen charred hockey pucks clung plastered to the metal as she let it clatter to the countertop. Through the haze hanging heavy in her kitchen, Lessa watched her pasta bubble over with the ferocity of a pot-sized waterfall. She grabbed the handle and unceremoniously dropped the entire thing into the sink. On the plus side, her sauce looked fine. It wasn't bubbling over. In fact, it, uh, wasn't doing anything. Oh, she'd forgotten to turn that burner on all-together.

"Kill me," Lessa mumbled, standing in the middle of her ruined kitchen. Her shoulders slumped, her face flushed, and she stank of fire and failure. "Just... please. Do it. Spare me this embarrassment."

The feeling of her still lingered on his lips as he witnessed Lessa's graceless scramble to save her kitchen from extinction. A pair of fingers raised to feel his own lips without him even thinking about it, seemingly feeling for whatever trace of her was left there as he watched the spectacle. He was miles away from the chaos of burnt bread pucks, billowing smoke and over boiled water, the scenario replaying in his head over and over again. That had been such a rash decision. But it had felt so right. But it was too soon. Or was it? But he had liked it. She had liked it. 

What about the other girl?

The mosaic of images coupled with the myriad of thoughts and emotions whirling within him had his head spinning. But beneath it all, Bahr was happy. So happy. It had been so long since Bahr had shared a real kiss with someone that he had completely forgotten what he was missing out on. And it had felt so special, too. It carried an electricity he had never felt before. His fingers now traced one of the biggest, most genuine smiles he'd worn in a long time. 

"It's actually a really weird tradition. Historically, mistletoe was used to cure things like menstrual cramps. And y'know, the Old English word was 'misteltan,' where 'mistel' means 'dung' and 'tan’ means 'twig.' So you're kissing under the poop branch."

Until he remembered that. He really knew how to pick a moment.

"Kill me," Lessa mumbled as Bahr's hand fell back to his side. "Just... please. Do it. Spare me this embarrassment." She was standing in the middle of her kitchen looking completely dejected, a miserably embarrassed expression masking her scarlet visage. While Bahr felt for her, he couldn't help but find it kind of cute.

He silently stepped into the kitchen with a soft smile on his face, retrieving the pot from the sink and refilling it with fresh water. He placed it on the stove and turned on the burners - for both pots this time. With a swipe of his finger, his inventory was open, and a helping of pasta was added to the pot. He took a step back, resting the back of his waist against the counter top and folding his arms. He cocked his head to look at Lessa, still wearing the same grin from moments before. 

"I don't have any garlic bread, but we can still save the meal. I, uh, happen to have a lot of pasta."

Oh god, it was awkward now, wasn't it? There was an unease that had settled into the air. He cleared his throat and shifted a bit, suddenly feeling the weight of Swine Bajesus on his shoulder. Jesus, had he been there the whole time? Had he just subjected his pet pig to his first real kiss in Aincrad? If nothing else, at least they had another experience shared under their belt - for better or worse.

It didn't take long for the water to come to a boil and the pasta start to soften. Such was the condition of food in Aincrad. Infinitely easier than in the real world. Which made Bahr wonder; how bad was Lessa's cooking beyond the veil? It was almost a little scary to think about. He stepped forward and stirred the sauce so it wouldn't burn, and then the pasta as it softened to the point that it was no longer a bundle of stiff twigs. Sensing the meal was nearly complete, Bahr opened the cupboard he had earlier - but it was only glasses. Maybe the next one? Ah, there they were. A pair of plates now lined the counter beside the stove, but where was the silverware? On a whim, Bahr opened the drawer that felt right, and luckily found what he was looking for on the first try. Minutes later, two full plates of spaghetti had been produced.

Bahr's nostrils flared slightly as he handed Lessa her plate, eyes slowly scanning the room. There was still a murky haze lingering from earlier. "It's a little smoky in here now. Want to move this outside? The weather is wonderful, anyways."

Moving outside had been the right call. They sat in roomy wooden chairs that were a bit larger than they needed to be, but comfortable because of it. Side-by-side, having made it just in time to catch the twilight that served as a prologue for impending darkness. The spaghetti was good - Lessa had a different sauce than Bahr was used to. Maybe something you could only get on this floor? He slurped a particularly long noodle into his mouth, contrasting the relative silence they had been sitting in. Man, it was awkward now. Even though they were sitting right next to each other, Bahr felt further away from Lessa than he had since they came out on top over the Lich King. He carefully placed his plate on the over sized arm of the chair and snuck a peak at Lessa out of the corner of his eye. 

"Well, this is awkward," he exhaled, breaking the silence by charging headlong into the problem. "Probably too forward. My bad."

So, that god of cooking? Apparently, it was Bahr. He drifted so effortlessly into her kitchen, and began to make it right again. To say he "picked up where she left off" was wildly inaccurate, in the same way you couldn't just drive a car again after it hit the rail, rolled seventy-nine times, and then promptly burst into flames. So Lessa simply wrapped her arms tightly around herself, and drifted into the background. From a spot on the fringes, she was free to simply watch the wonder that was Chef Bahr. The man commanded the kitchen with a professional's skill, and it was nearly impossible to believe he was unfamiliar with the space. Once more, the man proved he was oddly at home within the walls of Manderly.

When the plate of steaming pasta was finally presented to her, it might as well have been a dish from a restaurant with three Michelin stars. Though, to be fair, a bowl of cereal would look that way after her impressive catastrophe. The woman smiled gratefully, balancing the plate in one hand and her glass of lemonade in the other. "Thank you," she said to him, "and yeah, eating outside sounds nice." Her words sounded timid, even to her own ears, which she dwelled on as they stepped outside. Fortunately, the world worked to calm her, as it always did on this floor. Frogs and crickets croaked and chirped a familiar and reassuring melody, while the scent of pine and fresh water cleansed her. Again, as she always was, Lessa was reminded of Lake Michigan. If she closed her eyes, she could see it. She could go back there, in her head, and-

But... Bahr. A bit shyly, the blonde glanced over at her companion. He was there beside her, sharing in her little sanctuary. Or, if she were perfectly honest, he was becoming her place of trust and comfort. And that notion was equally as terrifying as it was wonderful. She mulled it over as she dropped into the Adirondack chair, pulling her legs up underneath her, and balancing the plate and cup on opposite arm-rests. His slurps were lost to her while she enjoyed his cooking and his company. And if her lips still tingled a bit, that was alright, too.

"Well, this is awkward," came his sudden declaration. "Probably too forward. My bad."

She went with her knee-jerk reaction. "No! I mean, yes." Foot, meet mouth. Lessa screwed her eyes shut, and amended, "I mean, no. No, it wasn't too forward. At least, I don't think so. And yes, maybe it's a little awkward, but it doesn't have to be?" Like a fish on the deck of a ship, she floundered. But she did so so fantastically, and there was no stopping this runaway train. "It wasn't bad. It was actually really nice. I liked it. And, uh, I like you. You're a really good-" don't say friend, don't say friend, don't you dare say friend "-kisser." And there it was. The cherry on top of her look-at-me-I'm-a-colossal-idiot-sundae. Maybe the Lich King should have killed her after all.

She heaved an enormous sigh, then shifted her body to face Bahr. There was a kind of pleading in her expression as her gaze caught and held his. "Look," she began again. "I'm not good at this. I tried it once, but it fell apart, because of me. And I've wrecked every good thing that I've had in this stupid game." Her voice, and her eyes, both softened on the final words. "I don't want to wreck this too."

"No! I mean, yes."

To what? The awkwardness or being too forward?

"I mean, no. No, it wasn't too forward. At least, I don't think so. And yes, maybe it's a little awkward, but it doesn't have to be?"

She seemed every bit as nervous as he was, which was a reassuring thought. It felt good not to be alone in that. And hey, it seemed like she didn't want to swell on the weirdness of it, after all. "Yeah," he perked up, "maybe."

"It wasn't bad. It was actually really nice. I liked it. And, uh, I like you. You're a really good-"

Please, for the love of god, don't say 'friend.'

"-kisser."

First there was a sigh of relief. Then a chuckle that flew through Bahr's lips before he could stop it. When he fully turned his head to look at her, she was as red as the ornament he had hung on the tree. With a massive sigh, she shifted in her seat to face him, and with only just seeing her, the shade was lifted. No longer did it feel like there was an ocean between them. Just a man, and a woman, and a connection that was nameless in that it was immeasurable.

"Look," she said as she steadied her eyes on his, an almost pleading look to them. "I'm not good at this. I tried it once, but it fell apart, because of me. And I've wrecked every good thing that I've had in this stupid game." Her expression had softened by now, but Bahr's had become a bit more concerned. Was this it? The rejection? "I don't want to wreck this too."

It may not have been an outright rejection, but it sort of felt like one. Bahr opened his mouth to speak, but closed it right away. What more was there to say? What needed to be said? Instead, a soft smile graced his lips, and all he did was extend his hand, an invitation to take hers. And when it filled his palm, he gave it a light squeeze and shifted his gaze to the gradually vanishing sunlight that glowed in the lower atmosphere. His thumb absently paced along her smooth skin as he enjoyed the warmth of her touch, eyes steady on the golden rays that shined over the horizon in the distance. With each passing minute, this light grew narrower and narrower, as though the eyelids of daytime itself were slowly coming to a close.

"How do you ever leave?" he inquired, still not averting his gaze. "I feel like I could sit here just like this forever."

The spaghetti lay forgotten on the arm of the Adirondack chair, not even capturing a figment of Bahr's attention. The funny thing about sunsets like these were that they were complex. The varying hues of gold, tangerine and crimson played together in a harmony that couldn't be encapsulated anywhere else. They mingled amidst the scattered clouds, which absorbed the light and turned it into objects that hung suspended in the sky. The further your eyes strayed from the display, the more colors you could make out. Blue, navy, even hints of black. Something about this complexity almost forced someone to think.

His mind played back the days to their first argument. A misunderstanding, really, but there had been something she had said that day that had really stuck with him. 

"You've never bugged me. I don't think you could."

His eyes flickered back to her once more. Her eyes were affixed to the diminishing twilight, the same as his had been. It was probably silly, but he almost couldn't look at her without smiling now. Watching the gears turning as they did in perpetuity for her. Always thinking. Feeling. Digesting. Contemplating. If the brain was a muscle, she'd win Olympic gold medals with hers.

"You've never wrecked anything with me. I don't think you could," he mimicked, tone soft and firm all rolled into one. "Quite the opposite, really. I'd ask you if you remembered that time at the Monument, but that would be a stupid question."  A breeze rolled through, chilled with the presence of night. It was almost here. "I don't think I ever expressed to you how important it was to me that you were there. You heaved me out of that darkness so easily. It was just natural for you." A lump started to settle into his throat, but he swallowed it down. "Wreck this? Please. You're a fixer. I've carried that experience with me ever since that day, and now you're with me in the dark wherever I go."

“A fixer,” she echoed, a bit of wonder in her tone. It was something Lessa had never even considered. But wasn’t that what she’d really wanted all along? To fix people? She‘d wanted to fix Alkor, and the apathy he wore like armor. She’d tried to fix Baldur, holding him as he wept in the light of mountain crystals. And though she’d sworn it off, had she not also attempted to fix the man who crumpled beside the Monument of Life? 

“And now you're with me in the dark wherever I go.”

Her breath hitched, caught against a sudden lump in her throat. When she finally exhaled, slow and even, some of the pounding in her head has subsided. Did he really understand her, and how she felt, so perfectly? Could he possibly know how long she’d wandered that same darkness?

Day released its final hold, and night took its final form in the sky overhead. The moon, perfect and round, dangled impossibly close to the lake’s mirror-like surface. Tiny stars winked among the thinest wisps of clouds. They weren’t the constellations she’d learned in astronomy class, but she’d grown accustomed to them. Did these clusters have names of great heroes? Did any really exist in this world, besides the players themselves? Here, perhaps she could give the stars names the way she had as a child, before she learned their true identities. She remembered the wonder of lying atop a sand dune, with nothing but stars in every corner of her vision.

She hadn’t even noticed the silence between them while she reminisced. Blinking a few times, she grounded herself by focusing on his touch. Her hand in his was so innocent, so simple, yet it carried such enormous importance. It was a literal and figurative tether to him, after she’d grown so used to drifting. And the intimacy of it wasn’t so bad either.

”It’s strange,” the woman stated, shattering that stillness between them. “On the surface, we haven’t known each other very long. But I feel like I’ve known you forever. You just sort of... fit. And it’s weird because I have no idea who you are... or, who you were, before Aincrad.”

The shyness still rode high on her cheeks, and though she never looked at him, it was plain in her voice as well. “Would you tell me about it? Your life away from here?”

As the sky was plunged into darkness, tiny shimmering diamonds were unearthed all across the sheet of black. Their positions felt ever changing, never fixed to the same spot night after night. Was that because they truly moved? Or was it because each floor had its own stars and constellations? Bahr couldn't tell for sure, but there was something he was absolutely certain about. On a clear night like this, with the moon full like it was, and in the presence of someone that meant so much to him, it created the most wondrous atmosphere.

"It's strange," she said, peeling Bahr's eyes away from the glittery blanket of dusk. "On the surface, we haven’t known each other very long. But I feel like I’ve known you forever. You just sort of... fit. And it’s weird because I have no idea who you are... or, who you were, before Aincrad." Ah, right. That. He had shared a bit of that with her before, hadn't he? Right, the first day they met.

"My life outside of Aincrad was never really so remarkable. Simple salesman, no higher education. Essentially a waste."

How casually he had said it back then, when he knew not the lasting importance of that single chance encounter. How it would put an ever evolving connection into motion, how it would shift the trajectory of both of their lives forever. How, after standing on the other side of it, Bahr would hardly recognize the version of himself that stood before. And despite the fact that the distance between them had closed to such an intimate space, he felt more uncomfortable sharing his real life with her now than he ever had before. But why?

It was probably the strange dichotomy between them. While Lessa seemed to feel directionless in Aincrad, she had had a real purpose in the real world. College student, oozing intelligence from her every pore and with plans to share this gift with the adolescents fortunate enough to wind up in her classroom. On the other hand, there was Bahr. Fierce combat enthusiast in Aincrad who had never run from a battle. MMO expert capable of maximizing any build. But in the real world, what had he been? An aimless, loser gaming addict with no formal education and a bottom-of-the-barrel job. It was embarrassing and, frankly, Bahr feared that reminding her of his failings might cause her to lose interest in him. But again, why?

In spite of their differences, there were so many more ways in which they were similar. The more that Bahr got to know Lessa, the more he came to realize that their very different backgrounds meant little in comparison to their shared experiences. They had both lost someone important to them, and it had left a hole in their hearts that had them both searching desperately, pleadingly, for a way to fulfill the void. And they had both toed the line between one darkness for the other for years, holding out hope that one day they would discover that special something - or someone - that could make them feel whole again. So when Bahr fell through a hole in the floor of what he had already assumed was his rock bottom, and Lessa grasped his hand before he sank in too deep, she may as well have been saying, "Hi there. The search is over." And he wondered endlessly if she felt the same way about him.

“Would you tell me about it? Your life away from here?”

"Well, uh," he started, swallowing the nervousness swelling up within him. "I was really impressive when it came to wasting time. I did average in school, just enough to keep my parents off my back. Didn't really participate in any clubs or sports or anything like that. Honestly, MMOs are the only place I've ever shined. A group of friends and I discovered them at a young age, and I feel like we sort of just let the story of our lives unfold in those virtual spaces as opposed to the real world. Well, maybe me more than them. They both ended up either burgeoning into profitable fields right out of high school, or going to college to pursue a career that would have a real impact on the world." She hadn't seen it yet, but a grimace had elbowed its way into his expression. He shifted his head so that his face would run parallel to the stars instead, not wanting the sour expression to startle her in this lighting if she were to suddenly look his way. With another gulp, he pressed forward. "Me, I was content to get a low-skill disposable position in a cellular company and stay there. Well, not content, per se. But not put out enough to do anything about it."

"But it's not like I never wanted more, you know? My parents named me Apollo. The Leader of the Muses. God of healing, medicine, poetry, and music. While I think that they really wanted me to get into one of these fields, my interests always laid far beyond worldly things like that."
 He slowly lifted his hand, the one holding Lessa's, bringing hers along with. He pointed at a star that hovered overhead. There was nothing particularly special about it that made it stand out, or even a reason that he had picked it. "What do you think is the story of that star? How do you think it formed? How long ago? What sorts of planets circle around it? Is there life on those planets? If so, what kind of life? Do they breathe nitrogen instead of oxygen? If they were to find us, would they be intimidated by the fact that we consume and bathe in the 'toxic' substance that is water? Or drink poison for recreation?"

He shifted his finger to point at another star. Contrasting the last one, this one was a bit more peculiar. It was extremely tiny, almost like a speck of lint against a black sweater. "What about that one? Do you see how it's sort of elongated in a weird way? That's a neutron star. They're actually so tiny that we shouldn't be able to see them with our naked eye like this - only in Aincrad can you enjoy this sort of thing without a telescope. Despite their small size, they're stupid powerful. The only thing denser is a black hole. The reason that it's elongated is because it has such a strong magnetic field that it's slingshotting particles away from the mass as huge beams of light. The total radius of light visible to us is massive, but the actual size of the star could fit in Manhattan."

His finger traced its way along the sky again, finally settling on another star. This one seemed strange, oblong, and disjointed in comparison to the rest of the white dots that covered the expanse. "That one's not even a star. That's an entire galaxy. One hundred billion to one hundred trillion stars, each with their own story, quirks, atmosphere, satellites. Numbers so high that the human brain literally cannot conceive of it. You can probably envision one hundred bouncy balls. You can probably even envision a thousand. And if you're really good, you can probably envision ten thousand. But past that, all you can mentally qualify about the volume is that there's a lot of bouncy balls. And I know that you're not a fan of math, but one hundred billion is only ten percent of one percent of one hundred trillion. That's how absolutely insane it gets." He couldn't have held back the enthusiasm in his voice even if he wanted to. "And the most mind boggling thing about it is that half of the lights in the sky tonight are entire galaxies. So far away from us that you'll never physically be capable of wrapping your head around it, moving away from us faster than the speed of light in every direction as the very fabric of spacetime stretches like a rubber band."

Finally, he lowered his hand. "I can't tell you how many nights I spent growing up laying on my back, looking up at the night sky just like this and just wondering what the hell was past the line of the solar system. Thinking, 'Wow, what an incredible life.' Wondering if distant planets had intelligent life, and coming to the conclusion that of course they do. And they're probably just like you and me, feeling like they're alone in this cosmos." He turned to again face his companion, wonder gleaming in his eyes. "But we know they're wrong, don't we?"

That had been a lot of talking. More rambling than Bahr had probably ever done in front of Lessa, even when they were sharing drinks at White Rabbit for the first time. Suddenly, he felt really guilty for just blathering on like that. And he hadn't even really revealed much about his life to her. "Also," he blurted out, scrambling to layer a few rapid-fire slices of his life onto the other end of this proverbial space sandwich. "I was an only child, but have estranged half-siblings. My favorite food is ham. I love almost any music except for country. And my favorite color is red, in case you couldn't tell."

At some point, her gaze had moved from the night sky to Bahr’s profile. Perhaps it was a little rude, considering he was trying to show her things. And it wasn’t even because she already knew much of what he shared; their common interest in space was one more thing to add to the list. 

Lessa stopped watching the stars because there was something else she’d rather look at. Something far more beautiful, and full of magic.

Passion seemed to roll off of Bahr in waves. He spoke with an eagerness she had never heard before, and the animated way in which he shared his knowledge just captivated her. Distantly, Lessa thought that Bahr would have made an excellent teacher. Or politician. And he must have been a fantastic salesman, because she would have believed any lie he told her if he presented it with such zeal.

Emotion swamped her. In that moment, she admired absolutely everything about him. When he lowered their joined hands, her free one rest over his, providing her with two links to him. All she wanted to do was touch him, and that single urge was as strong as a magnet’s pull. Nearness was suddenly more important than ever to her.

But her desire to know more about him was equally powerful. Though her heart galloped unbridled in her chest, she hung to every word he said. And when he’d concluded, her smile was mixed parts joy and satisfaction. She was already closer to knowing him, and if she were lucky, they’d go on discovering new things about each other forever.

“I have three older brothers,” came her response. “My favorite food is pizza with pineapple and green olives. Or anything you can put ranch dressing on. I won’t hold your bad taste in music against you. My favorite color is purple, like the lilacs that grow by our barn.”

Her hand gave his a faint squeeze as she continued, another reminder that he was still beside her. He hadn’t left. He was there with her. “I did a little bit of everything in school: track, choir, theater, Model UN. But riding was the biggest thing. I did 4H, and showed my horse every opportunity that I got. I miss her, and being in the saddle way more than most people would understand. That was my therapy. Everything was okay on the back of a horse. The fact the game took that from me is just kind of cruel.

”I didn’t play any sort of roleplaying or fantasy game before this. I mostly played shooters with my brothers.” Wryly, she admitted, “I actually picked up a bootleg copy of SAO to beat them into it. I wanted to be first. I used to be super competitive, but I’ve completely lost that.”

There was so, so much more that she could tell him. That she WOULD tell him, when the time was right. But as Lessa studied Bahr, his handsome features lit by the moon’s soft light, her thoughts grew jumbled. Only the basics remained. “My name is Alyssa. And you’re Apollo. And you love space. I- I do too.”

There was something dreamy about her eyes. Bahr could stare into them forever. They seemed to encapsulate exactly what he was feeling, and he could tell that they were on the same page. And the smile that she wore had the power to move mountains. Bahr knew it have moved a few for him.

“I have three older brothers. My favorite food is pizza with pineapple and green olvies. Or anything you can put ranch dressing on. I won't hold your bad taste in music against you. My favorite color is purple, like the lilacs that grow by our barn."

And that was exactly her, wasn't it? He wasn't surprised by a single thing she had said. There was a faint squeeze against his palm, and he instinctively squeezed back. A reminder that he was there. Though, by the connection their eyes shared, there wasn't any question.

“I did a little bit of everything in school: track, choir, theater, Model UN. But riding was the biggest thing. I did 4H, and showed my horse every opportunity that I got. I miss her, and being in the saddle way more than most people would understand. That was my therapy. Everything was okay on the back of a horse. The fact the game took that from me is just kind of cruel."

Horses, huh? That was the sort of thing that he had only done a few times, and never within the walls of Aincrad. Still, something was telling him that it was possible. He could have sworn he had seen them here, before. Somewhere. But where? He made a mental note to investigate that.

”I didn’t play any sort of roleplaying or fantasy game before this. I mostly played shooters with my brothers. I actually picked up a bootleg copy of SAO to beat them into it. I wanted to be first. I used to be super competitive, but I’ve completely lost that.”

Competitive? Bahr could see it. But he hadn't seen as much of that side of her since he met her, so maybe she had a point. Still, anyone with as much passion as she had was sure to have a competitive streak in there somewhere. But with the way she was looking at him, it was the furthest thing from his mind. Once again he felt physically drawn to here, an irresistible magnetic attraction that was impossible to defy. And when she spoke again, her train of thought clearly disrupted from feeling the same force, he couldn't help himself any longer. 

“My name is Alyssa. And you’re Apollo. And you love space. I- I do too.”

Maybe it was the way the glow emanating from the moon captured every niche detail of her immaculate beauty. Maybe it was the way her azure eyes caught the picture of the overlapping nebulaic expanse that existed above them. Maybe it was because hearing her real name for the first time made his heart sing like trumpet would along to jazzy bass. Maybe it was the fact that since their first kiss, every cell in his body had craved more, and it had taken everything he had to resist it. But he was powerless under the pull that had him leaning in close to her once more, over the arm of the Adirondack chair. And when a satisfying exhale escaped his nostrils when their lips touched again, Bahr noticed so much more than he had the first time.

The way her lips warmed his. The way she instinctively leaned over the arm of her own chair into him. How waves of heat and chills rolled over his skin. Every atom of him felt completed by her. And so he let the kiss linger. And then stole another. And another. Each riding the same wave of euphoria as the first.

He didn't know how it was possible to separate himself from her, but he managed it. 

"Nice to meet you, Alyssa. I hope I can learn everything about you."