Username: Alkor

Height 5'8"

Brunette.png

About: Thom was born in America. During his childhood, he back and forth between the households of his estranged parents. Because of the conflicting parenting styles and varying degrees of affection, he was unable to fully form a proper perspective on social interaction. Near the end of that time in his preteen years, his grandmother took him in to raise in what she deemed a healthier environment. 

Understanding of his situation, his grandmother was perhaps too accommodating and did not goad him to be more outgoing. Because of this, he made few friends and spent much of his time sequestered away. This did no favors for him once he finished his time in high school. He went to college for a short time before his mother came back into his life.

Due to circumstances outside her control, finances became tight and she needed more income to keep the household afloat. Thom elected to get a job and forward the funds to her, in order to make sure his sister and mother did not lose their home. Unfortunately for Thom, because he did not have properly formed coping mechanisms, he would withdraw immediately after his shifts, and spend his days off locked in his room.

Video games were his saving grace. JRPGs and Fantasy novels gave wings to an imagination that was far better than his reality. Thom spent so much of his time in what his mother called 'his own little world' that he didn't have a strong relationship with even his own family, other than his grandmother.

Yet, it gave him purpose. A reason for living. He aspired to play games, and to write. In his free time, he strived toward things that he knew were unrealistic- things he dreamed of.

When his grandmother fell ill, Thom moved back in with her. He continued to work to help his mother, but spent his free time taking care of the woman who was like a second mother to him. Her mind began to sundown, and his own mind sunk deep into depression.

Until the day he found Sword Art Online, and he thought he had found the answer.

Virtues:

Perseverance. Dedication to all that he does causes Alkor to press past hardship to complete a task or achieve his goals. It can also make him stubborn, which is not always a good thing, but generally causes him to be viewed as reliable.

Bravery. Alkor is unafraid of facing the unknown, and is not afflicted by doubt in his own resolve. Consequently, he sometimes gets in over his head. It does help him continue to strive for success.

Kind. In certain situations, Alkor finds himself unable to refuse helping another player. Generally, he avoids interaction, but he can't say no to someone in desperate need. It's easy for him to get suckered in if he sees it.

*Conviction. Alkor is steadfast in the things he commits to. More so than simply pushing himself to succeed, he finds strength in his beliefs and seeing things through to their end. His tenacity is inspirational to behold.

Flaws

Antisocial. Alkor does not get along with with other players. He acts on his own in most instances, except when he is forced into situations where he is unable to go it alone. When forced into social situations, he is standoffish, and often ends up bickering with others.

Quick Temper. Is easily roused to anger. Sometimes this leads to poor decision making. Something can trigger his anger, and that anger won't subside until he either destroys what's making him angry, or the anger is quelled by outside means.

Socially awkward. Alkor has difficulty saying what he means, conveying emotions, and generally getting along with others. When he is in a situation that he is relatively comfortable with, he still struggles to properly voice what he's trying to say. He's one of those people who knows what he means, but can't always tell you.

Story So Far: His crusade to save the people of Aincrad was halted, but the darkness has given way, and he woke up alone on Floor 9...

-Vital Statistics-

Alkor

Level 47

960/960 HP

104/104 Energy

(26/188) unused SP

Rank 5 Curved Sword (50 total SP)

Rank 3 Light Armor (23 total SP)

Athletics Mod (9 SP)

Precision Mod (15 SP)

Ferocity Mod (15 SP)

Finesse Mod (10 SP)

Rank 3 [Fighter] Familiar Mastery (18 total SP)

Survival (3 SP)

Energist (12 SP)

Extended Mod Limit (2 SP)

Consumables: 

Imugi's Inspiration | MASS HP RECOVERY [157448]

Fruit Infused Tea | HP Recovery III [158815] | [158819] | [158822]

Spyglass (2 uses) - Effect: Use to reduce the number of posts required to search for a dungeon or familiar by 5 posts. Effect lasts for one thread. Item is destroyed once all charges have been used..

Galaxial Water Snake x1
Tier 1 Unique Consumable
Provides +1 CD when rolling to train familiars in <<Taming your Friend>>. Can also be used to change a familiar’s appearance to a starry sky’s form of itself. Single-use item. CD buff lasts for one thread.

Gold Star Stickers x1
Tier 1 Unique Consumable | Charges: 1/3 | Untradable.
+1 DMG, +1 LD or +15MIT for one thread. Stacks on top of other food/alchemical consumable buffs, but does not stack with Scent of the Wild totems.

Milky Way Rail Blueprint x1
Tier 1 Unique Consumable
+1 CD to a day's worth of crafts or item identifications.

Handwritten Letter of Appreciation x1
Tier 1 Unique Consumable
Allows its user to change the name and/or description of an equipment piece.

<<Lightning Rod>> Grants a weapon a one turn paralysis effect on a critical hit. Lasts for one thread. Takes a post action to apply.

<<Witches Brew>> +1 CD consumable

Cerberus Soul: Adds 12 Burn damage for two turns to a weapon on a Natural BD roll of 8-10 for the duration of the thread. Does not stack with the Burn Enhancement.

Memory of Battle
Double the bonus from Scents of the Wild totems for one thread

[170465] Well done steak [Protein 2]

[164405] Lemon Berry Palmiers [+3 LD]

[167323] Liquor of Light [+3 DMG]

Equipment: 

Blightsteel: T2 Demonic Curved Sword [Cursed | DMG | DMG | Blight]

Nightmare Bomber: T2 Perfect Light Armor [MIT | MIT | EVA]

[T1E3] Eye of Horus Enamel Pin (1)
-- [ Accuracy III | +3 ACC. ]

Not Equipped:

Ki'Raion's Tail (OHCS/T2): ACC/ACC/PARALYZE

Zero Degree Icicle (OHCS/T2): Freeze/ACC

[T1E3] Wayfinder (1)
-- [ Loot Die III | +3 LD. ]
"TRINKET: A star-shaped charm made up of various translucent teal-coloured petals, framed with silver and held together with taut strings. At its center is a stylized metal heart, and at one of the petals' ends is a loop tied with a knot, so that the charm is capable of being hung or locked around another object. The item calls back to a foreign myth, representing an unbreakable connection between holders of these charms."
Craft ID: #150874

Edited by Alkor
  • 4 months later...

This happened an hour or so before I dived.

I'm writing this so I don't forget. Time passes outside while we're in this world, and the people we left behind go on without us. That said, we go on without them, too. Only living that reality could have taught me what that really meant to me. This is where my story starts. This is who I was. Who I am.

Before the line blurs too much to tell the difference.

-Thom

The alarm screamed, same as always. Three hours of sleep separated one day from the next, and my bloodshot eyes shot around a pitch black room seeking purchase on reality. The way I lived often felt more fluid than partitioned. Hours, minutes, and seconds were arbitrary when the only thing I had to look forward to was another day of work. Morning hours before sunrise were almost always the worst. I tried to get what sleep I could while Grandmom screamed. She hated being alone, but she'd long since lost the ability to relay that in words. 

Sometimes, the only way she got to sleep was the Ativan. If I'm being honest, I can't look at her like this. I go through the motions to take care of her out of a sense of responsibility. She did the same thing for me for years. I don't know what the next day for me holds, or where to go from here. Grandmom was my guiding light in a world that was as dark as the room I woke up in, and now that light has dimmed.

See, my mom and my sister live in another house a few blocks away. They come over to check in, but they're both busy with their own lives. Mom and Grandmom never got along when she was lucid. I think she secretly holds that against her now.

My sister and Grandmom were never close. It felt like they were from two very different generations, and those ideologies we're constantly at war with one another. Whenever one tried to hold up an olive branch, somewhere, something got miscommunicated and it fell apart. So, now, my sister sees no reason to make peace with a woman who's too far gone to appreciate the effort. That's what I think, anyway. I don't talk to my sister enough to find out what's going on in her head.

I always wake up at the same time, even when it's my day off. Sometimes I get lucky, and I go back to sleep for a few hours- but not today. No, today, it came in the mail.

I'd been waiting for this for months. The NerveGear, Sword Art Online- my chance to escape, if only for a little while. Before that, I have to check on Grandmom: make sure she's clean and doesn't need a change of clothes, talk to her a bit even though she doesn't quite get what I'm saying, get her breakfast...

That's the routine. On work days, that takes about a half hour before I jump in the shower and rush to hit the clock. Then I do an eight hour, hurry home, and fall asleep. It's mindless, if not easy.

In short, I'm boring. It was boring. I was ready for something different.

Grandmom was always telling me I should go out and make new friends. I... don't know how to do that. Talking to people terrifies me. What I do for a living now leaves my skin crawling. I hole up in my room as much as possible to try to unwind from having to interact with customers while I stock. Sometimes it helps.

But, inside a game, it's different. I can be anyone I want. I don't have to be close, to share who I am, to make real and lasting relationships with people. I don't have to emotionally connect, and so, it's all just fun and carefree. That's what I thought. That's what I wanted.

A game. Nothing real. Somewhere I didn't have to be Thom. That's why I made the personality of Alkor. He was a hero, born of the fantasy games and novels I'd grown up on. He was everything I dreamed of being, but could never actually be.

Alkor is a fearless, swashbuckling rogue. He wants to help people, and to stop bad guys... Yeah, looking back, it was a pretty shallow archetype. But no one expected anything from him. At least, I didn't think anyone did. But I'm not there yet. This is how I created him. 

I expected to be playing a game. I think we all did. 

The last thing I said to grandmom, was "I love you. I'll be back soon."

Life had other plans.

• 1 month later...

Relationships

These are the names of people I've met in Aincrad, as well as a brief description of how I know them.

Lessa: I first met her when she was brand new to the game. We were close friends, and then, things got weird. A guy named Daeron got in my face and said Lessa wanted nothing to do with me, and not to go near her. So... after that, we lost touch.

Lessa's a weird topic for me. She's a good friend. We've been working on reconciling the things that happened in the past; but some people think there's more to it than that. There's not. 

Mari: Mari and I met under a wild series of miscommunications. There was a point when I threatened her life, even. Mari is... someone who deserves better than the mistakes I made, and the things she's had to deal with as a result. I don't think it's fair to call myself her friend at this time, but she's not an enemy.

Bahr: I've only had to deal with this guy a few times, but I can tell he's a hothead. He has his way of seeing things and doesn't really care about what anyone else thinks. That's my impression of him.

He cares a lot about Lessa, which is a good thing. He's also volatile, so I kind of worry she'll get burned.

NIGHT: Some stuff happened. Apparently she knew about me before I met her, and wasn't my biggest fan. I get the impression she's still not. 

She did tell me I act like Batman though.

-not an exhaustive list, more to come 

Edited by Alkor