[PP - F4] Haunt

As he spoke, Lessa used a knife to cut her burger in half, then took a big bite. She had to chew before answering him, but by the time she’d swallowed, she’d had time to sort her thoughts. “See, that’s where I disagree. I think needing someone is nice. It gives purpose, makes everything more intense. Enjoying someone’s company is something you do when your elderly neighbor stops by for coffee and a chat. But needing, and being needed?” Her  blue eyes shimmered with the notion. “That’s a whole different ball game. It can have its consequences, sure, like playing with fire. But it can also change your life.”

She ate a bit more burger and watched Alkor squirm in his seat. He was wildly uncomfortable, that much was obvious. But if sharing his true feelings helped alleviate the burden, she’d keep him there until he was finished. He was having a difficult time of it, and again, she felt the urge to touch him. Just a brush of her hand on his across the table - was that really so bad? Probably. Lessa would not make the same mistakes a second time.

”I appreciate your honesty,” she admitted. “And while we’re being candid, yeah, a part of me wants those justifications. Some explanation other than you were wrong, or you were scared. But that’s selfish, and maybe I’m looking for things where there’s nothing to find.” The blonde shrugged. “Maybe things will become clearer with time.”

Smiling now, she lifted her glass in salute. “That’s the miracle of all this. We finally have what I really wanted. We have more time.” 

Once, the word “friends” would have closed a chapter for Lessa. This time, it opened a whole new book. ”And yeah, all of my ‘passionate midnight lovers’ slots are filled, so I suppose we could settle on friends.”

"Well, that's a relief," he said as he finally sized up the burger that the waiter had gone to the trouble of bringing him. "Midnight is way past my bedtime. I'd be useless at that." He took the delicious looking food in hand and took a bite. He absently wondered if Lessa's friend, the waiter, had spat in it when he heard their conversation, but it wasn't like that would do much inside of the game.

He glanced her way after polishing off the single bite he had taken and then went to finish his drink. It slowly receded from his cheeks as color returned and warmth with it. Had it been as bad as his mind told him? Perhaps not to anyone else. Lessa seemed far more composed.

Alkor had never been to the point where he cared for someone quite like she described. His grandmother the obvious exception, she didn't really need him- there were other family members, it just inconvenienced them more than it had him. He was the only one who didn't have a life.

That wasn't the case anymore.

His finger swiped open the menu, and he righted an ancient wrong.

The friend request appeared in front of her.

@Lessa