[PP-F2] Conundrums of the past

Returning to the second floor is perhaps one the hardest things Mari ever has to do - She used to come here often. The endless fields of yellow flowers before a forbidden forest filled with everything she loved. The scents of wet wood and loamy earth, the trees... the way the sunlight danced across the forest floor.

And yet...

It was a place she hated, so very much...because it was the downfall of everything. The day she lost her daughter, the day she gained an angry red crystal above her head - and the day she lost any hope of redemption. For no matter how hard she had tried, one could not remove the stigma of being a Pker - especially one that had been thrust upon her so very many times before.

After seeing Alkor...and promising him she'd try....Mari found herself here again...

Past the fields of yellow, past the trees, and into a small clearing. The pink haired woman was still clad in a simple white cotton dress, and white flat shoes. No armour, no weapons. A sitting duck if anyone were to attack her. Mari wasn't a fool, she had contingency in place, if need be she could teleport away with a crystal - and she had enough health to be able to withstand a blow even from the strongest player. Probably

Before her stood a makeshift grave marker. Two large sticks strung together with string to symbolize a cross. Even in the forest it had accumulated layers of dust. The flowers around it were dried and dead. To think she'd come here so often that it'd always be teeming with life, only to abandon it. To abandon the site where her very flesh and blood perished. "I'm sorry sweetie..." Mari whispered as she gently fell to her knees, clearing away the debris. "I haven't visited you in so long. I've been selfish."

Now clear of the past - both figuratively and literally Mari opened up her inventory, and with a few quick motions of a slender finger, hundreds of flowers fell out - surrounding her feet in a cascade of yellow and white daisies. Mari began to quietly arrange them around the grave before nestling herself against the tree trunk - next to the marker. Picking a few up, the woman began to make a daisy chain.

"We used to do this in the spring..." She whispered softly - "making crowns, necklaces, and bracelets for each other. SO today Evelyn, let's do that again. Just you and I."

@Macradon

Slamming his fist into the closest tree to him, Macradon angrily exclaimed “You gotta be kidding me! Next time I’LL be the one to mark where we meet …” he said and tugged on the chain connected to his cerberus familiar, Belphegor. “We gotta relocate, it’s the wrong Wargs, this isn’t it chief.” he said to the three headed doberman and went his way from the designated spot.

“Seems like a miscommunication from either me or her." he thought. It is wargs there were going to kill, and it was very much on a whim for them to go warg hunting, but Macradon being in the wrong place at the wrong time, it felt weird. It should’ve been obvious that it was on the higher floors … so why did he even go to the second floor to find wargs? Sighing deeply through the visor of his mask, his voice getting the slight metallic sound as it exited the slits of his helmet, Macradon looked down upon his familiar “Let’s take a detour, since we’re already here we can take a good look at the scenery, it’s usually nice around here.” he said with a smile, doffing his helmet since he didn’t really need it for protection anyways. 

The tail of the cerberus wagged while it was taking a good stroll with its master, just happy to be, not really contempt with anything. Like the tail going back and forth, the wind blew in the woods, not harsh but just slightly, at least enough to be felt. The wind would make Macradon’s hair flow from side to side as the direction of the wind would change between all the trees, his alabaster hair and his scarlet eyes stuck out like a sore thumb. It clashed with his armor, but used to match a lot.

The red and white paired with the now dark greys of his armor, the only thing lighting up his armory were his new layer of protection upon his already strong steel plate. Light blue, nearly silvery, pieces of armor were strapped onto the outside of the darkened metallic plates, having a dew form on the larger surfaces as time went by. This bright metal had some kind of frozen materials in its components, which was visible as mist would slowly fall from his bright armor pieces, like a ghost wandering through the forest.

After walking from the wrong rendezvous point for a few minutes, Belphegor caught sense of something non familiar, it wasn’t a monster, since every monster on this floor would flee by the presence of Macradon, something … someone were close by. “Found something?” he asked his familiar, who seemed to want to go towards the scent “Alright alright.” he said and let his familiar take charge of which direction they were heading for. After walking for not that long, they arrived at some kind of clearing, a lone person were sitting at a trunk with a bunch of flowers, braiding them in many different ways.

“Pink?” he thought “It’s like her, back then, Sakura.”, he remembered someone he held dear from long ago who also donned the pink hair, but it didn’t seem to be this person, this was someone else. Something else that stood out to him was the orange cursor, it was a player killer, but she wasn’t armed, she wasn’t clad in any armor, she didn’t seem to be in any hostile position at all. Drawing his sword, Macradon would stick it into the soft soil, making sure that his presence wasn’t threatening in any way. With his sword into the ground, Macradon would tie Belpehgor’s chains down, making sure the hell hound wouldn’t do anything to disturb anyone.

“Greetings.” he said to the girl “I haven’t seemed to have seen you here before, but it’s not like I’ve been here a lot. Do you frequent this place?” he asked “Sorry if I’m disturbing you in any way.” he said, not really sure if she were doing anything important or just enjoying the weather.

@Mari

Stats

Spoiler

Macradon - Lvl 82
1685 HP
179 Energy
2 Accuracy
0 Evasion
19 Base Damage
 (31 w/ Holy)
- (1 Base +7 Skill +1 Athletics +9 Familiar +1 Ferocity)
107 Mitigation 
- (35 Skill + 72 Armor)

Items
Blade of the Dictator ............ // +12 Holy Damage, Phase
Silverlight ...................... // +72 Mitigation, 36 Frost Thorn(21 on a Crit), 6 Freeze damage(2 turns)
Templar's Necklace ............... // +6 Recovery, +1 Accuracy

Belphegor - Familiar ............. // +9 Damage

Battle Ready Inventory
Empty inventory slot ............. //

Buffs
Rested ........................... // -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat.
Filling .......................... // Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed .......................... // Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.
Col Deposit ...................... // +5% bonus col from last-hit monster kills and +10% bonus col
from treasure chests.
Buff name ........................ // Buff effect

Skills
Two Handed Straight Sword  | Rank 5: +7 Damage
Heavy Armor                | Rank 5: +35 Damage Mitigation
Searching                  | Rank 5: +5 LD. +5 Stealth Detection
Battle Healing             | Rank 5: Heal 5%(84) HP each post In-Battle
Fighting Spirit            | +1 Hate generation
Gatherer                   | Obtain additional materials after a successful out of combat gathering based on a natural CD result.
Hiding                   | Rank 5: +5 Stealth roll
Extended Mod Limit       | Rank 2: +3 Mod Slots
Parry                    | Reduce incoming damage by 50%(rounded down)
Energist                 | Add 5xTier(15) Energy to your max pool

Disguise                   | +1 to your BD and +1 to your opponent’s BD
Survival                   | Heal 45 HP when out of battle
Familiar Mastery: Fighter  | Rank 3: +9(Tier x Rank) Damage
Meditation                 | Recover 3xTier(15) energy with post action. Recover 2xTier(10) energy if you are hit before your next round

Skill Mods
Precision                  | +1 Accuracy
Athletics                  | +1 Damage, +45 Health
Ferocity                   | Increases Base Damage by 1
Finesse                    | Rank 3: Decreases Energy Cost of attacks by 3
Reveal                     | +2 LD when searching for dungeons and labyrinths. You may also search for a sub-dungeon or labyrinth once every 15 posts (instead of 20)
Surprise Attack          | Cannot miss from stealth. +3xTier(9) base damage on first attack
Justified Riposte        | Stun attacker for 1 turn
Vanish                   | In combat post action to stealth. Free action in combat to stealth if mob has been slain

Tracking                   | Allows the user to track a previously-encountered monster, NPC, or other player. Negates all bonuses to the target’s Stealth Rating. After tracking, your first attack against the tracked creature cannot miss. Cannot be used in combat

Vengeful Riposte         | Return 50% of damage(mitigatable) to target

Blue eyes shot up at the sound of someone approaching, they weren't exactly quiet. Rather, they were loud - mutiple footsteps. Were there more than one person? No...one set was scurried and accompanied by animalistic noises. An NPC herder maybe? No...that didn't make sense. Instead, an iron clad player approached - his armour was strong, and held a strange unique property that signaled that he was no ordinary player. A frontliner? Either way, it didn't look good for her. The woman tensed as he approached, slobbering companion in tow.

He greeted her in a way Mari did not expect, with a friendly smile and cautious banter.

"The f**k does it matter to you?" Mari snapped. Then immedietly bit her tongue. No. No This person on purposefully placed his weapon a few feet away. Going as far as to chain his...her eyes glanced to the creature. Dog? Three headed dog? Cerberus right? Odd choice for a familiar. "One slobbering mouth would have been enough for me...let alone three..." Mari sighed as she lowered her hands, letting the daisy chain rest in her lap.

"Sorry."

The apology for her outburst may have came a little late, but at least it came. Usually she'd ignore her faux paux and act like it had never happened. The pink haired woman was trying, healing didn't happen overnight - nor did years and years of living with hostile players around you - wanting your head. But this man wasn't here for Mari - the once renowned Pker and former strongest player of Aincrad. He wasn't here for information or to intimidate her.

He was here .....she furrowed her brows. Just why was he here?

"This is a secluded grove. Rarely anyone comes here without reason..." Mari began as she picked up her daisy chain, then with another hand delicately looping a flower though - making it longer and longer.  Mari turned her head to the cross that marked the grave of her daughter. "No." She answered the strangers question in a soft voice as she wrapped the chain around the cross. "I used to, but...I stoppped."

The pink haired woman picked up another set of flowers and methodically began to start another chain to keep her hands busy. "It'd be better if people didn't see me - don't you think?" She asked as she lifted her gaze to the man. "It's not often one is fine with a PKer wandering around, let alone the lower floors. Why are you here?"The question held an accusing tone, after all - it was suspicious.

And Mari had no reason to doubt that somewhere, there was still a large bounty on her head.

Barking back at Macradon, he halted back up and held both his hands up about shoulder height “Sorry for me to ask, then, maybe I should’ve just barged in and ignored your possibly privacy? I may be a jerk, but I’m no a**hole.” he said with a faint smile. No matter who it was, oranger player or not, he would try to start out friendly and slowly take it from there, just because they were orange players doesn’t mean they were bad … many orange players he had met were bad, but not because they were orange. Even though this individual acted quite rash to begin with, it seemed like she eased up a little afterwards, perhaps she was just startled or way too defensive, who would know.

Shaking his head, Macradon would reply “No need to apologize, Ii’m the one intruding anyways, I should pretty much just give another apology.” he said, trying to ease the conversation. Listening to the few words she did seem to say speak, it didn’t seem like she was in the best of moods … at all. Opening up his inventory, Macradon doffed his armor down to his casual clothes again. Red and gold linen adorned on his body with a light orange cloak behind his back, he didn’t need his armor, it wasn’t important, only for fighting. The only piece of armor he kept on himself was his vambrace on his right left arm, he never wanted to forget about it.

“I can see that the place is very well kept, like a wild sanctuary. It’s a beautiful place, the entire floor even.” he commented. Sitting down in a cross-legged position, trying to be as comfortable as possible since armor wasn’t really comfortable to wear in its entirety, and especially not when sitting down. “Why?” he asked her, and she quickly replied, like she wasn’t waiting for his question, she just knew she had to continue. 

“I dunno. I’ve seen way too many orange players around, and many have been taken into custody by the established player police force, others have fled because they don’t wanna live in cells, and others have joined the frontlines. Judging someone by their cursor doesn’t really help much. Just look at me, Green cursor, but I wouldn't be comfortable knowing what I’ve done if I met myself as a stranger, well, I would now, but I’ve experienced quite a lot to understand orange players a tiny bit more.” he said “People aren’t too suspicious of orange players, at least not as much as it used to be. Aereth, an orange player, still active and helping the people of Aincrad. Morgenstern, orange, active, frontliner. They’re everywhere, and since it’s a game with some weird gibberish behind all the logic going on, nothing is set in stone just because of a color.” he said and laid down on the light mossy forest floor.

“The name’s Macradon, by the way. Sorry for not introducing myself earlier.” he added with a slight chortle to keep the conversation light.

Mari rolled her eyes.  "Honestly, I'd prefer an asshole, its what I am more familiar with, any form of pleasantries just seems like fake bullsh*t to me..."  eyes She shifted, moving her legs out from underneath her so they rested to the side, it'd be easier to spring up in this position - and it was slightly more comfortable.  me..."If you took two damn seconds to look around maybe you'd notice the f**king grave next to me  and....and...."  The bitterness left her voice. Mari groaned as she put her head into her hands. This was hard, impossibly hard. Stupid Alkor and his stupid face making her make stupid promises that were stupidly hard to keep.

"You should give another apology. Really. It only takes a few seconds to assess your surroundings and 'read the room' But look - " Mari chewed her cheek. "I'm not...good with conversing, I'm a little on edge."

Mari's tensed body eased and she visibly gave a sigh, relaxing as he removed his armour. Mari wasn't an idiot. She knew he did it purely for her comfort. The man, who had introduced himself as Macradon sat down cross legged across from her. He gave his explaination or approaching her, despite her status. And how PKers were no longer the feared, no longer deemed the bad guys.

"Is that so..."

If only it were so simple back then...if people were more understanding. IF anything - it seemed some lavished in the death of others. Was that too still the same?

"I was hunted relentlessly because of it. Players placed bounties on my head...hell..." She paused. It was still painful to admit, but it was truth. The reality of being a PKer. "I had people befriend me, gain my trust and friendship - only to turn on me. Any chance to kill me. Then there was the frontlines... I guess it may really have changed, but I was forced to fall back from them - If I were to return I would have been killed. They planned it. To snuff me out during a boss battle. But..."

But...

"I could never blame them. Mari is quite a wanted person after all."

It was her odd way of introducing himself to the man.

@Macradon

“Ouch.” he said, commenting on the fake pleasantries, that hurt. “Oh … I’m not that perceptive … at least not when it counts … Sorry.” he said, lifting himself a bit away from the woman while staying low. He should’ve noticed, he should’ve seen the surroundings, he shouldn’t just have rushed in, “Sh*t, I did a bad thing again. I should get back into shape, I should be able to understand stuff like this … but I don’t. Why am I still like this …” he thought and shook his head at himself, looking down into the ground, then back up at the woman.

“I really am sorry, and really do want to apologize.” he said and lowered his head towards the woman, nearly touching the ground while still sitting in the cross legged position. “Wasn’t my intention, and I am sorry for bothering you like this. And whom this grave must be for, I apologize for disturbing their peace as well.” he said, still having his head lowered while pleading for forgiveness. Lifting up his head slightly at the woman’s question “At least that’s how people act around them.” he said, his head still low, but not as low as before.

Listening to her story about the past, he did agree to it. Even though he wasn’t as active in the start, he still knew the prejudice against orange players, one of his closest friends, his mentor, was an orange player after all. He would just nod at what she said, since he could see himself in those situations as well, just like Opal, one he feared just because she was orange, not because she was actually any danger to anyone. "I recognize a lot of what you've experienced, it was like so as well back when I started frontlining, but I haven't ventured to any floor boss raids in a while now, and the last one I went to, quite a lot of orange players were there to help, so I guess times have changed." he said.

“M-Mari?” he said, a bit dumbfounded. He had heard the name before. He knew the name. Quickly opening his inventory, Macradon would grab his notebook and scroll through it until he came to the page with Mari and the notes associated “Ah … yeah …” he said. Most of the notes, heck all of the notes, were of the names associated with her, the names she had taken the lives of on the monument of life. It it wasn’t because Macradon knew how it was to be on the monument of life, he would’ve reacted differently. “I’ve heard about you. Mostly from second hand mentions. My mentor, Ssendom, said something about you, my old team mates mentioned you. You were quite infamous.” he said and straightened his back up again, leaning backwards slightly and using his arms as support behind him “With all those names on the monument … you could call me a colleague then.” he said and sighed.

The way he apologized made Mari feel incredibly uncomfortable. What was his problem? Was he genuinely sorry? Or was this overreaction for theatrics? Trying to get something out of or from her? She didn't deserve this. Why was he acting this way? She clenched her teeth, biting her tongue. Telling herself, over and over again. 'Don't say anything....Don't say anything...'But as the apologies continued to spew forth the quick to anger woman couldn't hold back any more.

"Get off the floor." Mari snapped. "I don't need that. Nor do I deserve it - I'm...clearly not good with interaction - so ignore half the stuff that comes from my moth ok?" Mari clenched her fists into the folds of her dress. "I'm trying though. I'm actually trying this time. I just don't want it to blow up in my face." Her cheeks were red, "If anything, I'm the one who should apologize - but I already apologized for my mannerisms, continuing to do so every time I f**k up is just ....redundant..."

Macradon continued, speaking almost as if he knew what it was like. Mari began to have a suspicion that the man may have been a Pker at some point. As to the reasons, the woman would rather not know.

His reaction to her name was genuine, so he really hadn't known her then? That was a relief. Mari didn't want to be notorious - she just wanted to live a quiet and simple life. But already it seemed that was going to escape her.

"I'd really rather not be known for those things. Those names - each and every one of those were an accident - or to save another, or in self defense. But, no matter how you look at it a killer is a killer." Mari placed the second completed daisy chain around her head. The white flowers nestled neatly in her pink hair. If one didn't know her any better, they'd almost say it made her look... innocent. They may be pure white, but her past, and her soul surely wasn't.

"In any other world, each and every one of us orange players would be placed behind bars. Regardless of reasoning, and realistically - that's how it should be. Yet here we are, free. It doesn't seem fair to me..."

Two questions plagued her mind, the first - was whether or not he was a PKer, but with how she had spoken, she made hints that she had thrown Macradon in with the PKer groups and would get her answer from that. The second.

"What did they have to say about me?" Mari asked softly. She lifted a knee toward her chest and wrapped her arms around it so she could rest her cheek on her knee. The form, actions, and attire all suggested she was nothing more than some sweet young girl. But none of it could be further from the truth. Maybe Mari was just trying to distance herself from the past a little too much.

"Don't worry if you think the answer would hurt - I'd rather the truth. If you don't mind."

@Macradon

“Yeah …” he replied “The back and forth with apologizing isn’t really that great … let’s try not to bee to apologetic to each other, at least just short and quick apologies if necessary.” he replied with a chuckle. It had gone on for way too long, and it was probably for the best to not speak of it again.

“I’d agree, a killer is a killer, no matter if it was for a good cause or not … I thought I did it for a good cause, for the greater good, for the safety of the innocent players of Aincrad … but all I did was fuel the flames of rebels that knew of the players I have ridden off of this place. I somewhat regret my decisions … but I can’t turn back time and erase what has already happened, so I guess I’ll just have to drag it with me, shape me into a better person. At least I hope so.” he said with a sigh, implying that he was indeed a murderer.

Nodding towards Mari, Macradon agreed “Aye, we should all be behind bars for our crimes … but what good is there to that. I don’t even know what the police force does to their prisoners, perhaps something to look into at a later date …” he said, half mumbling like he was making mental notes.

“They never told much about you, they mostly just mentioned their time on the frontlines, with how you presence was a menace, not because it wasn’t good you were there, you just sparked fear in everyone, the highest kill count, the infamous killer … but those friends of mine were orange players as well, and they were beginning to get the same treatment as they had shown towards the Mari they talked about.” he said and continued

“I was curious. Just who was this menace of a person, how frightening could this murderer be.” he said and looked at Mari “And I guess this is as frightening it is … Maybe it’s because of my overestimated self confidence, or you’re not that wild of a murderer as they might’ve seen you as.” he said “Heck, people wouldn’t look at me and think I’ve taken the lives of 7 people either.” he commented at himself.

"That's what bothered me the most..." Mari mumbled. "There were always other orange players, those who did it for fun - but they were not treated with the same ire. Nor the same viterol as I was." Mari glanced downward and picked up a yellow flower, twirling it to and fro betwixt thumb and forefinger.  Her voice was contemplative, quiet. "It was hypocrisy at the highest level. I know at one time I was considered the strongest player on Aincrad - but really - such a title is stupid because it was always so quick to change hands. Was that the reason? Because I was considered more of a threat? Or is there something more I am just not seeing nor understanding?"

Frightening? Menacing? No...

"It was determination." Mari said. There was a brief moment of silence before she clarified. "I thought someone I loved had died - it drove me forward - fast. I practically soloed a boss, then found the next not long after. People who were dillydallying pissed me off, people who didn't heed the notes or warnings I gave because I was the one giving them. People who squabbled and fought amongst themselves instead of focusing on fighting the actual monsters- what the f**k was wrong with everyone?"

Mari shook her head. "I wanted nothing more than to rush through the floors to leave this place. To see that maybe, just maybe he was alive. That..." Her hand found its way to the grave. "That everyone who died would be. Instead there are wild rumours about me being a ravaged murderer. Do I look like that to you?"

Nodding his head, Macradon could really understand that sentiment “I get that, it really infuriates me, and that was what really put my drive on trying to get rid of those fickle beings … but it doesn’t solve anything, it was a stupid self righteous way of thinking, and it only brought more distress to me and my closest … so I’ve obviously veered from that wrong path … “ he said, even though Mari didn’t ask for his story. 

“Some people just seem to need an antagonist to get themselves going no matter the hypocrisy they pose with that mentality, I know I did, I had a few … but I’ve realized that you don’t need an opposite driving force as motivation, and I hope people would realize that sooner rather than later as well.” he said, sighing heavily. 

Macradon shook his head at her final question but posed the comment “Nah, you don’t look like a ravaged murderer, but I am not really one to judge, do I look like one? All the rumors going around, they’re just that, rumors, I guess. I just found a fiance in here, and she has been a driving force for me to escape from this hellhole of a game, to rush through the floors and finally feel the freedom of real life again, with her.” he said, clenching his fist.

"A fiance' huh..."

Mari shut her eyes. How blissful that must be, to have been able to find someone he irrevocably loves. Someone who didn't die before his very eyes, only to come back years later - having seemingly been in a coma. Someone who didn't know himself ,or his feelings. And couldn't return hers. She had to be happy with that. In a way, she was. But it still hurt. "I don't think I'd ever have something like that." Mari admitted quietly.

Normally, she'd have snapped at someone for rambling on and on - claiming that she didnt need to hear their life story, that the details where unneccesary. The man had continued to mention his deeds and his reasons for doing what he did - but if Mari were completely honest, she didn't entirely care. "Our past doesn't always define our future."

"You look a little like a ravaged murderer - if I'm being honest." Mari pointed to his eyes. "You have that steeled look in your eyes. It also probably doesn't help that you don't shut up about it."

Mari bit her tongue, swing and a miss there. That wasn't exactly nice talk, it was hard to try and say anything without having a barbed tone or pointing out the obvious to the oblivious. Mari chose to change the subject than linger on her faux paux.

"Honestly - I'm working on fixing things... as I am, I'm utterly skilless till I respec myself. I've been gone that long I literally became outdated. Still... I need to fulfill a promise and take the redemption quest." Mari rose her eyes to the treelines, watching the sunlight dance through the leaves. "Even if I die during it. At least I tried, right?" 

In truth, Mari didn't want to do it alone, but she didn't have much of a choice. Her friendlist had one person on it - and that person wouldn't see her till she had removed the orange crystal, and wasn't strong enough to bring into the quest. "Macradon...You've done it before - is it difficult?"

@Macradon

Listening to Mari’s small comment about a fiance, Macradon would reply “I feel very lucky having her by my side.” he said. When the second comment would land Macradon frowned lightly “Dangit” he said under his breath. He looked like a ravaged murderer? Weird that no one had commented on it before … perhaps they were too afraid? “Yeah, if I wanted to hide it I probably shouldn’t speak so openly about it to people, but I just seem to need to remind me of what I’ve done so I don’t take life as lightly as I used to.” he commented. 

Macradon tilted his head to the side slightly as Mari mentioned the Redemption quest. “Yeah … here’s the thing. I’ve never been orange. I’ve been green all my time in here. My mishaps have all been in self defense or only directly targeted against orange players. The only time I actually turned orange was during a quest because I attacked the boss that had hidden itself as an ally and I just began bashing at the supposed ally. Other than that, I’ve been green.” he said and continued

“Which means I’ve never actually done the Redemption quest, I’ve only heard of people taking it. From what I hear, it’s very difficult to do alone, it’s a quest you’d really want to be prepared taking. The Redemption Boss’s damage scales by the highest present level, so does its other stats, so if you could rally a small group about your level, you should be able to clear it out. I’de love to help, but my presence would just make it much more difficult than need be.” he said.

Macradon cursed under his breath when it seemed that his engagement bought up something unsavory within Mari, she mistook the real reason behind it. "Oh - no - it's not...." Mari was trying very hard not to cause distrust or ire between the two of them. "I'm not envious- no, I am - but when I say I may never have that. It's...complicated." Mari glanced to the side and ran her hand over the flower covered grave site.  F**k this was hard. Still, forward the pinkette pushed

"It's a long story, but the short version of it is I had a husband and a corrupt lawyer take my child away from me - I found her here in this game but..." Mari shut her eyes. She couldn't quite bring herself to tell him she was the one that had accidentally taken her daughters life. Besides, if he had seen the monument of life enough times - he'd place two and two together. "Evelyn is gone now..." Her words were pained. It had been a long, long time since she said her daughters name aloud in front of someone. "And whilst there is someone I love dearly - I feel it is unrequited, but... I'm ok with that. They are alive. That is all I could ever ask for."

It was then, Macradon admitted he had never actually had the need to take the redemption quest.

Mari blinked, shock evident in her tone. "Really?"

They cavalier way he spoke...she just assumed that he had - that he was ok with what he had done because he had defeated those demons and come to terms with those actions, whatever they may be.

"I need to take it though..." Mari said as she pressed her head into her knees. "If I don't - I can't move on. Getting a party of players together...would be ideal but I don't have anyone." The statement hurt more than it should have. Mari tightened the hold she had on her knees, tiny fingers digging into her skin.  She...was alone. But - she had to be ok with that. Mari had to learn that it was ok to stand on her own two feet without relying on others. She'd done it this long right? So why should it change.

"I'll have to tackle it alone I suppose." Mari said. "Even if I die doing so - at least I died on some path forward rather than idly sitting by, doing nothing because of a past that plagues my nightmares and my waking consciousness. Right?"  The pink haired player drew a long deep breath and lifted her head up and away from her knees to face the man before her. "If I have a large supply of healing crystals - surely I'd be ok. Right? Even if I had to heal myself on every turn... there'd be a chance, do you think?"

It was a tragic story Mari told, something that Macradon couldn't even relate to at all. She had gone through all that hardship, finding her treasure, and then had her treasure taken away from her, it was sad. "Oh ..." he said, he didn't really have many words to react to, he didn't know what to say, this wasn't something he could just learn to handle, and winging it didn't seem to be the best of decisions as of how this conversation has been going up until now. Maybe he should just .. not touch on that subject again. "If that's what you're content with, then there really isn't anything for me to do or say in the matter." he said, trying to close that subject off.

Macradon would lean back on his arms again and look into the skies “I suppose you could if you just kept healing yourself … If you want, I could try to collect data on the boss before you go in, just so you can plan ahead? That’d be the least I could do if I weren’t joining you in the fight. I’d be a shame for someone to die trying to go through their redemption.” he said and sighed and sat back up straight and looked towards Mari.

“I could probably try to find a small party of some of my friends that could aide you if you were to accept that? I know a few exceptional fighters in the Tier 2 range, which would perhaps be around your level? That would make it easy enough to clear, unless you insist on taking it alone, if so, I’d gladly sponsor some if not all of the consumables you’d need.” he commented. He didn’t want this person to die off just like that, even though she had accepted her possible death, it just didn’t feel right, it felt so wrong.

Pondering about what he could do without directly participating in the fight, Macradon came to a thought "Actually ..." he said and quickly scrolled through his friends list trying to find a particular someone. "There." he said and opened up his HUD to write a quick message "I have this friend who has some good contacts inside an unofficial broker guild, I believe he'd be able to get some good info for you." he added and waited for Mari to give any response.

Mari shook her head at Macradons offer, "I appreciate the offer of intel - but all the information is already readily available - I was just asking you...to seek perspective from first hand experience. That always differs greatly from reading about something."  She fell quiet when he mentioned that it'd be a shame if someone died during the redemption quest - and a small part of her wondered if it would really be all that much of a shame if she died.  The woman shook the thought from her head, it didn't leave - so instead. Mari tried to talk over the angry voice trying to pull her back into the comfort of the darkness she had sat in for so long.

"Wait...wait... I don't think - that'd be a good idea... I mean...you've heard the rumours about me. I don't think people would be jumping to help me. Even if you were to vouch for me." The offer was appreciated but Mari was very apprehensive. "I'm a f**king trainwreck - I don't do people. I'm snide, snippy, and blunt - people hate that. It wouldn't work. I wouldn't..." Mari lifted her hand up to her forehead. "I wouldn't blame them if they turned on me - hell. I expect it."

The offer for consumables was far more attractive than having to deal with people. Mari lowered her legs, relaxing to a more comfortable position. she had her suspicions...  "You know who I am...what I've done, why are you helping me?" Her tone turned accusatory as Mari fell back into her old habbits. "What to you get out of it? What do you want?"

@Macradon

He chortled and shook his head “I’d be pretty confident people would listen to me, even with the rumors and bounties on you. If they head I would stand my ground for you, I’m quite sure they would understand that I meant it and that I didn’t just do it just because.” he said. He tried to stay positive for the matter, but when some kind of suspicion hit and the interrogation started, that was when he wasn’t feeling great.

“My mentor, Ssendom, was an orange player, he was assassinated on the frontlines by my old Vice Commander. Ssendom was brutal, cruel and was way too trigger happy about level people with the ground, but he never actually went through with much of it, he never murdered anyone just to murder someone. He was my mentor and I trusted him, no matter what the rumors said about him, I knew better. Talking with you, not matter what the rumors said about you, I seem to begin to know better.” he said and paused for a moment.

“I don’t really get anything out of it. You could call it an investment of sorts. When I joined the Knights of the Blood Oath, I gave my words that I would help the people of Aincrad, beginners and veterans alike. That includes you.” he said and gestured with his hand towards Mari. “Since you want to make things right, since you want to fix things, since you need to get through this, I’d see it as an investment for the better of Aincrad.” he said “So if there’s anything I’m getting out of this, then it’d probably be that I’m getting a better Aincrad, even if just slightly.” he said and clenched his necklace with a red and gold cross.

She did it again didn't she? She snapped at him - Mari had always been that way though - quick to judge and snap at others. Brutally blunt - even before her life spiraled out of control. Macradon was pretty confident in how his word could sway others. Mari doubted it, greatly, but bit her tongue on the matter. It was her only real choice - and he was being nice to her thus far. It was almost foreign to the woman - to have someone so nonchalantly stumble upon her and literally plop himself down for a chat.

"SSendom..." The name sounded familar,  Mari began to absently pick up yet another set of flowers, absently making more daisy-chains. "I think...I may have fought alongside him a couple times...bit of an arrogant bastard if you ask me - but not completely insufferable."

Macradon commented on how much his mentor meant to him. Mari wasn't good with comforting words, so didn't offer any. She just silently listened - that was all some people needed sometimes. "I think it's an odd thing to do - and a pretty f**king stupid investment if you ask  me... I ain't gonna be able to pay you back with Col or Materials. And Im pretty sh**ty with showing empathy or gratitude. But - if I do this, I will be doing my best at rejoining the frontlines. That's the best I can offer you."

Mari finished the chain, this one a myriad of white and yellow. She shuffled forward a few inches then leaned in to Macradon - "And this - those are the only things I can offer. But if you're fine with that then I need to learn to be too."

@Macradon

Macradon chortled and nearly went into a laugh “You are so right, quite the arrogant bastard he was.” he agreed and with a broad smile, Ssendom really was that kind of idiot to everyone, even his friends for the most part. ‘Rejoining the frontlines’, those were the words he needed to hear, those were the words he even had to say himself one day … “You don’t need to pay, having you on the frontlines would be more than enough payment for my initial sponsorship. I don’t need money, I don’t need materials. Materialistic things are easy for me to get a hold of, so those usually don’t feel like proper payment anyways. Having someone like you back on the frontlines would be a real help.” he said, trying to be encouraging. 

He seemed to never be able to actually be encouraging, all he could do in battles was to throw out random battle cries that would get people to take the moment as light hearted as possible without having fear lurking inside them, but that never seemed to work in conversations.

When Mari scuttled closer to him, he would stand still at first, but when she handed over the flower chain to him, he would lean forward and accept it “I will keep this as a sign of our promise, then. If you have anything you want to have purchased for your Redemption quest, give me the list and I’ll get it for you in no time.” he said with a smile filled with gratitude.

This felt....not okay exactly...but...better?

This was the first conversation she had face to face with another person - beside Alkor for almost a year. And Alkor - well she only spoke to him the day prior. After years of thinking he were dead. "You know...it's weird...you're the second person, in that many days that have told me I should be on the frontlines." Mari stood, and the flowers that were resting in her dress fluttered to the floor. "I suppose the first thing I need to do is respec everything - during the system update I lost all my skills - I just never had the heart to reallocate them..next up..."

Mari tapped her lips in thought.

"This may sound silly, but can you also get me a vanity item? For a specific hair dye." She lowered her gaze to the man who still sat on the floor and offered him a wry smirk. "Not sure if you're smart enough to realize it or not - but pink was never my natural hair colour, it was just the colour of my hair when I first logged in...I want to go back to my natural colour. Part of removing myself from the 'Pink PKer' title is to not be so...cotton candy coloured - Next would be...as many Tier 2 recovery crystals I can take into battle. My build is that of a glass cannon - so all I need to do is outlast it health wise, and eventually it'll whittle down and die. Then - I guess surprise me with some sort of food buff. Anything to help with accuracy or evasion.

There was a slight pause. "Are...you sure you want to do this?"

He looked over at Mari, somewhat surprised to what she told him “Huh, what a coincidence.” he said and chuckled lightly through the thought of multiple people wanting her to return. “Hm …” he muttered as he thought of Mari’s lack of in-game skills, which would probably prove very difficult for when she would be facing off against the Redemption quest. “I’d recommend you to spend your SP on skills you think might be useful for when you’re up against the Redemption boss. Without skills, you won’t be able to last long and far from able to succeed.” he commented.

Coming with a little chortle, Macradon would talk back “Hey, I may be stupid, but I’m not that stupid. I can get you your stuff no problem.” he said and quickly opened up his HUD, writing down the notes and then sending over a friend invite to Mari “This’ll make it easier to get in contact with you again.” he said and continued “It wouldn’t be fun for me to walk around aimlessly trying to find you when I’m about to hand you your consumables.” he said with a smirk.

Nodding his head at her finishing question Macradon would reply “Aye, I’m ready to commit to this. And the amount of consumables you’re requesting won’t really bust my bank.” he said and smiled. The smile turned into a rather stern face when Macradon would ask “Are you sure you don’t want someone to help you with the quest?” making sure she was committed to do it alone.

527807752_MacradoninvitestoFriend.thumb.png.edcba11ffd324e44c1241c081f570d65.png