[PP-F1] Finding Comfort

Spoiler

<<Secret Medicine Of The Forest>>

This quest takes place on Floor 1
This quest is not repeatable

Little_Nepent.png

On the first floor, the player is given a quest that introduces them to 'Field Bosses'. The quest states that a small village is in need of a medicine, <Little Nepent's Ovule>, which is dropped by a special variant of the mob, Nepent. The players who partake in the quest must slay normal Nepents until a 'Variant Nepent' spawns. The Nepents spawn in the wooded area on floor 1.

The nepents stand at around a meter and a half tall. Its lower body consists mostly of countless roots that it uses to move around. It has two arm-like vines with pointed leaves attached to either side of its body, just above the roots. The center of its head holds a wide red mouth with viscous liquids dribbling out of it as it opens and shuts.

The variant has a red bulb on top of it's 'head' which reveals to be a giant red flower. Or it's decorated with fruit. Either way, it's the same as its counterpart in shape, size, and strength.

Completion Requirements:

- 20 Posts Minimum.
-Must defeat 2 Nepents per player.
- Nepent Variant must be defeated.

Nepent Information:

HP: 7
Mitigation: 0
Damage: 3

2 Nepents spawn for each player in the participating party.

Nepent Variant Information:
Nepent Variant is a Quest Boss and has the following statistics:

HP: 15
Mitigation: 5
Damage: 10
Nepent Variant ignores armor mitigation on a natural roll of 10

Drops the quest item <Nepent's Ovule> on an LD roll of 12 or higher, failure will have you fight the normal Nepents again until another Variant spawns. This loot roll must be separate from the attack roll that defeats it. Failure to find the <Nepent's Ovule> will result in the players having to fight the Normal Nepents again, to draw out an additional Variant Nepent.

Rewards:

2 Skill Points

(Parties or Groups of low-level players are advised.)
Recommended Level: 5

(Updated to reflect changes from the September Update)

Stephen smiled.

The weather was absolutely perfect. He gazed upwards at the crystal-like sky and gratefulness washed over him. This close to the Town of Beginnings, the fields had plenty of players. Just because they didn't want to advance, didn't mean they didn't want to leave the protective gates; at least, not when these magnificent plains lived outside.

He turned his head, noticing a group of children playing. Two adults, presumably the parents, followed along slowly as the young ones bathed in the warm sun. To his right, he could see a couple in the distance, enjoying a picnic together. Stephen knew that had she been there with him, Lexa would have been happy.

This afternoon also happened to be the most ideal time to get some questing done. Stephen adjusted the sword on his hip and walked leisurely through the grassy fields of the first floor. He swished his hand and his HUD was pulled up. He felt that it was in his best interest to gather more information on the task at hand, rather than jumping into battle blindly. The monsters he'd be challenging were odd ones, that was for sure. Nepents. He wasn't familiar with them, but thankfully a picture was provided. They seemed to be unusual plant-like creatures with gigantic mouths and a whole lot of teeth. They were quite gross, actually.

Stephen's mindset was set to "the sooner I can get this done, the sooner I can go home." Of course, he knew that by himself it wouldn't be a quick job. Before closing everything down, he equipped his green cloak overtop of his brown jacket. There was some wind, but he wasn't cold. The cloak reminded him of a simpler time; one where he had everything that he could ever want.

Now he had nothing but ambitions and old memories to keep him company.

Spoiler

Morningstar
Level 1

STATS

• HP: 20
  • DMG: 3
  • MIT: 9
  • ACC: 3

SKILLS

• Two-Handed Straight Sword | Rank 1

GEAR

• Beginner's Straight Sword | Uncommon
    +1 DMG
  • Beginner's Light Armor | Uncommon
    +1 MIT

@NIGHT

Edited by Morningstar

There was no rhyme or reason as to why NIGHT was out in the fields by the Town of Beginnings. It was just one of those days where she felt unwell being in her workshop the whole day. A quick jog outside would help, where there was fresh air, and so she ended up here, making her rounds through the fields. There was a part of her half expecting to see some of her friends -- she knew at least one of them should be out training, but maybe the person in question had outgrown her roots. NIGHT wasn't sure. She hadn't kept up with people nor their well-being these days.

Past the happy families and couples (NPCs? Who else would bring children out here?), a flash of light had caught her eye, as someone donned a piece of equipment nearby. Thrown out of her thoughts, NIGHT glanced over to the stranger. They must be new, she figured. I haven't seen their face before. This far out of town, it could only mean they were undertaking a quest, specifically one containing Nepents. She shivered. Maybe today was a good day for helping others, despite the quest conditions. She ought to try.

NIGHT ran over to the man, raising a hand over as a greeting. Her kitten stuck his head out of the bag holstered on her waist as she slowed to a stop. "Hey," she huffed, barely managing to make the words out. "Sorry-- give me... a moment..."

When she had finally managed to catch her breath, she began again, "You're just starting out, right? Are you looking for nepents by any chance?"

Spoiler

NIGHT 
Lv: 22 | HP: 440 | EN: 44 | SP: 64
DMG: 11 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3

[Skills]

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 5/5
  2. Heavy Armor | Passive | RANK 1/5
  3. - - -
  4. - - - 

• Survival | Passive 

[Examine]

• [T1E3] Doombringer
    "WEAPON: A black broadsword; large, heavy and sturdy. The edge is lined with silver, and its guards are decorated with gold. It looks like it's been sharpened to a tee, so handle it with care."
    -- [ Damage III | +3 DMG. ]
  • [T1E3] Threads of Dexterity
    "LIGHT ARMOR: Black primarily, with accents of white, modeled like a set of running shoes. Feels like them too. Cleats are found at the sole, giving the user extra traction on smooth surfaces."
    -- [ Evasion III | +3 EVA ]
  • [T1E3] Eye of Horus Enamel Pin
    "HEAVY ARMOR: While most enamel pins are golden, this one's has been painted in black. A circular and triangular base have been overlaid on each other, encapsulating the Eye of Horus within. The markings where the Egyptian pattern stands out are laced with gold."
    -- [ Accuracy III | +3 ACC ]

- - - - - -

• Starter Healing Potions (3) --- Heals 50 HP.
  • [T1] Uncommon Health Potions (3) --- Heals 40 HP.
  • [T1] Over-health Potion (1) --- Provides 50 temporary HP.

[Misc]

• Aincrad Trading Post Guild Membership
    -- [ ATP Guild Bonus | +5% more col from killed mobs, +10% col from treasure chests. ]

@Morningstar

Edited by NIGHT

A sudden voice pulled Stephen out of his thoughts. Originally, he'd assumed it was just some other players doing whatever it was that they did. That was, until he saw a stranger chasing him down.

Oh, great. Another crazy.

His first instinct was to ignore her and keep moving forward. He wanted to avoid wasting time. Instead, Stephen waved back politely. Coming to a halt, he watched the woman speed up to him. Her dark hair floated in the soft breeze, revealing a pair of purple-ish eyes. She was quite a bit shorter than the brunette. By the time she reached Stephen, he confirmed that she only stood up to his shoulders. She took a moment to catch her breath, giving the man a chance to notice the cat in her bag. It's head was all that was visible; he assumed it had poked it on curiously, wondering what was going on.

When the woman finally began to speak, Stephen realized that his first impression may have been wrong. "Yep, finally getting around to dealing with the Nepent quest. Why do you ask?" He didn't find it odd that she had guessed correctly, since there weren't many other quests to tackle in their proximity and Nepents were one of the safer options for inexperienced players to face.

@NIGHT

Edited by Morningstar

"You need some help with that?" NIGHT asked, trying to play the question off casually, placing a hand on her hip. But there was no way to reclaim the tension back from a sudden greeting like that. Instead, maybe she could play on her experience with it as leverage, trying to recall what she could from her first time attempting the quest. "There's actually a variant species you have to tackle to obtain the quest item," she informed. "And while the quest is intended for lower-levelled players... The variant's the trouble. It's stronger and tougher, not exactly ideal for new loners to fight on their own."

The player folded her arms, expecting a refusal. She really should learn how to make less drastic entrances like that. Keeping that note in her mind, she added, eyes lazily trailing to the newbie's cloak that continued to flutter in the wind. "I don't exactly see a party with you, so it's why I figured to ask. I wouldn't want someone to risk losing their lives if I can help it."

She extended a hand anyway, just to see if he would take her up on her offer. "Either way, it's nice to meet you. As my handle suggests, I'm NIGHT."

And his was Morningstar. But she wasn't about to take away his introduction away from him, so she kept her mouth shut about that.

@Morningstar

The woman made the variant Nepent sound tougher than he'd originally expected. It was possible he was in over his head. Normally, he'd decline her offer; however, today felt different.

Who knows, he thought, maybe I'll make a new friend.

He met her hand and returned a smile. "I don't see any harm in that idea. I'd be grateful for the help. I'm Morningstar, but most people just call me Star," Stephen told her. He didn't bother asking why the woman (who was very obviously a higher level than the average newbie) was on the first floor. She had her reasons and he wasn't trying to invade her privacy. Instead, as he began to move once more, he made a different inquiry.

"You seem to know a little bit about the quest. I assume you've already taken it?"

Realistically, he'd know the answer even if she'd completely ignored him. At her level, she'd probably done it ten times over, if not more. He ran a hand through his well-kept brown hair. Perhaps it was just the weather, but his confidence was at an all time high. After a long time, Stephen felt like he was finally seeing progress. He was nearing his goals.

"Star, huh?" NIGHT mused, rolling the thought in her mind. "That's a good shortening of your name." That was one of the things she appreciated picking up about people, how their names were shortened for others' to call them by. She followed behind him, as they began their venture. "I have taken the quest before, yeah. Me and a friend were here once. We're looking for... uh... a small white orb from the variant specifically."

"If you spot any nepents, point them out to me, yeah?" She said back, looking around for any signs of the creatures. Cascading shadows of the clouds and trees around them caught her eyes instead, and she squinted, sifting through their details. If anything, she was hoping it wouldn't turn out like last time, where she was the one who got ambushed by the enemy. At a higher level, she imagined turning the tide of battle in her favour instead.

Turning her thoughts elsewhere, she wondered if the man would answer some of her own burning questions for new adventurers. "So, Star," she began, glancing at his weapon. "What made you pick up the blade? I don't mean to pry, of course, if you don't feel like answering."

@Morningstar

Scenery changed as the duo moved from the fields into the thick forest. He gave NIGHT a nod, acknowledging her experience with the quest. "I'll let you know if I see anything."

He gave the area a quick scan, but from what he could tell there was nothing in sight. The woman spoke up again. This time, she asked him a question. Stephen stopped for a moment to think over his answer carefully. Having never shared his drive with anyone before, he didn't know what to tell her.

The truth, I guess.

"I lost a friend a little while back. Her name was Lexa. She had ambitions and I just wanted to make sure they came true," he explained, leaving out a number of details. He wasn't going to pretend he and Lexa only stayed on the first floor. From frozen woodlands to magnificent mountain ranges, the two of them followed rumors, went on adventures, and made their plans for a future in Aincrad. There was a time when he thought it would never end.

Until they did. There wasn't a day that passed without these thoughts echoing in his mind. He had to make her dreams a reality. Suddenly, he noticed something out of the corner of his eye.

"Ah. Over there," he pointed, "four of them."

The nepents were about as ugly in person as they were in the photos. They were tall, much taller than Stephen was, and looked disgusting. He watched as the group of plant creatures moved towards them, hand gripped around the hilt of his long sword. "Ready?"

Only moments later, his blade was drawn. When their enemies came in range, Stephen lunged forwards, intending to at least wound one of them. Had he noticed the small spot of mud in front of him, he may have. Instead, he slipped and lost his balance, causing his strike to damage nothing but the ground beneath them. Swiftly, before he was forced to tank hits from all four of the nepents, he regained his balance.

Two nepents landed shots that he'd consider lucky, but thankfully he was able to evade the others.

ID: 131878 BD: 3

Party:

Morningstar: 18/20 | EN: 0/2 | DMG: 3 | MIT: 1 | Hate: 0
NIGHT:  440/440 | EN: 44/44 | DMG: 11 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3 | Hate: 0 (correct me if any of these are wrong)

Enemies:

Nepent 1: 7/7 | D: 3
ID: 131879 MD: 5

Nepent 2: 7/7 | D: 3
ID: 131880 MD: 6

Nepent 3: 7/7 | D: 3
ID: 131881 MD: 1

Nepent 4: 7/7 | D: 3
ID: 131882 MD: 8

Edited by Morningstar

NIGHT nodded, listening in. Star turned out to be another player who'd lost someone close to them, and she wished she was able to say she could relate. But she knew she was fortunate, the lucky one out of the masses. "I'm... sorry to hear that," she replied, eyes turned to the ground and a hand wringing the back of her neck. "But I bet she'd be proud of you for picking up the mantle again. And thanks for telling me the truth... I really appreciate it."

She'd half a mind to reveal her own interests, as well. It seemed to be fair game, as far as she was concerned, especially since she asked about his. But as she raised her head once again, a half-hearted search for the nepents, her companion pointed them out to her instead, in the opposite direction. Conversation could be delayed to later. And so she drew her blade, wincing as she noticed the height difference between her and the creatures again. "Ready."

Star charged forward when their enemies were close, slipping and missing his mark. That was alright, she had those days too. Instead, as the man scrambled to his feet, NIGHT took the time to create a cross of light with two strokes, her blade glowing white as Cardinal aided her in her movements. With one more slash, the blast crashed into three of the creatures, decimating their forms into blue shards of light, penance onto one of the nepents for their strike against her comrade. At least with that sword art, she'd be able to stay a distance away from their ghastly forms.

She heaved her blade onto her shoulder, prepared to dodge an attack if it was to come her way. "Too bad I didn't get that one," she quipped. "It's on you."

@Morningstar

ID: 131899 | BD: 10 (7, +3)
<<Blast>> vs Nepent #1.
11 * 2 = 22 DMG
Nepent #1 has been defeated!

ID: 131900 | BD: 9 (6, +3)
<<Blast>> vs Nepent #2.
11 * 2 = 22 DMG
Nepent #2 has been defeated!

ID: 131901 | BD: 13 (10, +3)
<<Blast>> vs Nepent #3.
11 + 2 = 13 DMG | 13 * 2 = 26 DMG
Nepent #3 has been defeated!

ID: 131902 | BD: 4 (1, +3)
NIGHT missed!

Nepent #1 | HP: -15/7 (-22) | DMG: 3
Nepent #2 | HP: -15/7 (-22) | DMG: 3
Nepent #3 | HP: -19/7 (-26) | DMG: 3

Nepent #4 | HP: 7/7 | DMG: 3

NIGHT | HP: 440/440 | EN: 36/44 (-8) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 11 | EVA: 3

Edited by NIGHT
# you're doing great sweetie ' o')b! || since neither of us hit the 4th nepent feel free to decide who it targets, idm if it's me

Stephen watched as the woman showed off her skill with the sword. She cut down three out of the four nepents, leaving him both impressed and glad he hadn't gone alone. While he didn't expect to get the last hit on the monster, he stepped forwards with his sword in hand anyways. Their opponent did a sort of stumble forwards as it began it's attack. Slowly, he moved straight past the brunette until it was nearly in range to attack NIGHT.

Then, it pulled down it's leafy arm and slammed it into the ground. The nepent had missed the dark-haired woman by about a foot. While confused, he stood back. "I'll let you take it. After that," he began, "you can tell me what you're aiming for."

Stephen stepped off to the side, but made sure to keep close enough to help her out in the event of an emergency. The variant had to have been lurking somewhere nearby; he would need to keep an eye out for it.

@NIGHT

Spoiler

Morningstar: 19/20 | EN: 1/2 | DMG: 3 | MIT: 9 | Hate: 0
+1 EN | +1 HP

need to regen energy qq

Nepent 4: 7/7 | D: 3
ID: 131990 MD: 1 (Crit. Fail)

Edited by Morningstar
l0l i've been taking too much dmg forgot i had mit

"Right."

Closing the gap between the nepent and herself, she took a wide swing at the creature, tearing its form in half. Easy enough. The plant shrieked and chattered as it faded away, with NIGHT ignoring its dying howls to look for the variant as well.

She also owed Star her own reasons for adventuring, didn't she? "Now that that's taken care of," she began, placing her blade's weight on her shoulders again, "How should I put this? Um..."

It took her a moment's pause to construct her response, but she finally spoke. "For the past two years, I ended up staying holed up in the Town of Beginnings." NIGHT raised her face, to look up towards the canopy, trying to see the sky through the leaves. "It's pretty basic. But... I hated the living conditions in the town. It's so... monotonous. It feels pretty selfish to admit that in hindsight, but that's what I feel." The woman sighed, before placing a lock of hair behind her ear. "One night I ended up stowing away from my inn room, finally having enough of the cramped quarters and the moldy spaces... That's how it started."

Her gaze returned to the forest, watching the darkness for any signs of the blooming nepent. "It's not very deep, but it's the truth."

@Morningstar

ID: 132006 | BD: 6 (3, +3)
Basic Attack vs Nepent #4. (-11 DMG)

Nepent #4 | HP: -4/7 | DMG: 3

NIGHT | HP: 440/440 | EN: 36/44 (+1, -1) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 11 | EVA: 3

Edited by NIGHT

Unable to see the variant, Stephen listened as the woman explained a part of her history to him. "Not everyone's gotta have a deep reason for leaving the town. Sometimes you've just gotta get out," he replied, kicking up some leaves as they wandered through the woods. He understood how she felt. In fact, before meeting Lexa, he nearly did the same. Early on, being trapped inside of the video game terrified him. The man felt lost and, at the time, the front lines seemed like the only answer.

It was Lexa who had helped him settle down and find himself again. She replaced his broken perspective with a new one; a view on the new world that made surviving worth it. Stephen ditched his old dreams and created new ones with her.

He tried to hide the smile that'd grown on his face from recalling old memories. Stephen's eyes tracked the surrounding bushes and trees, watching for any bulbed creatures lurking in the shadows. While he didn't quite see it, he knew they weren't completely alone. Squirrels, birds, and even the odd fox could be found around them. If they hadn't been hunting nepents, the forest may have seemed peaceful.

"So," he started, continuing the conversation, "where are you planning to go from here? I've been told most players aim for the boss fights, although I suppose not all of them make it there."

+1 Energy
2/2

@NIGHT

Edited by Morningstar

NIGHT caught the briefest hint of a smile, as Star kicked up the leaves around them. While she didn't know what was going on in his thoughts, she could certainly appreciate the understanding he had for her motives. That was all she could ask for, she imagined, feeling a great sense of relief.

His next question was of great intrigue to her, either because she wasn't much of a planner, or because she wasn't too fussed about the actions of the other players at the top. NIGHT wondered with a hum, casually looking around the forest, a half-hearted search with the distraction on her mind. "To be honest," she began when she'd found her voice. "I don't really have anything planned for now. I'm just going along with what adventures the system has laid out for us, and that's enough for me."

"The frontlines... I'm assuming that's what you're referring to with the boss fights, right?" Was she even familiar with anyone that powerful? No, she doubted it. There were a few names that came to mind when she imagined someone of a higher skill level than her... but none so overwhelmingly strong that she could imagine them facing creatures akin to gods straight on. Maybe her perception on the floor bosses needed changing...

A rustling, and a hint of red caught her eye amongst the darkness. NIGHT decided to get her answer off her chest, before she forgot it. "I wouldn't mind joining them, if I were strong enough to. But as I am right now, I've got no hard opinions on the matter. I'd rather be enjoying myself in the moment, you know?"

She pulled her blade from her sheathe as the creature waddled out with a cackle, vines swaying to and fro. The adventurer took a stance, expecting to lunge towards the beast in a rush, but standing there for half a beat too long made her step out of her auto-piloted trance, examining her blade. "What? Dammit, give me a moment."

Thankfully, it didn't seem like their enemy was bent on attacking them right off the bat, lending them a moment to take action.

@Morningstar

ID: 132009 | BD: 5 (2, +3)
NIGHT missed!

Nepent Variant | HP: 15/15 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 5

NIGHT | HP: 440/440 | EN: 35/44 (+1, -2) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 11 | EVA: 3

Edited by NIGHT

"I can respect that," he replied. He understood the want to live in the moment.

NIGHT began to move off of their path. At first, Stephen was confused by this; however, through the green he noticed the red bulb-like object. Underneath it was (you guessed it) a nepent. At first glance, you might have thought, "hey, this thing doesn't seem much different from the other ones."

It seemed a little bit stronger though.

Stephen, who hadn't put away his sword, strode towards their enemy. Neither NIGHT nor the nepent made a first attack, leaving him with that opportunity. Not that he had anything to prove, but he felt almost as if this was his chance to show the girl that he was no longer going to be another "first floor newbie." An orange glow lit up his  blade as he began to active his own Sword Art; a basic one, sure, but it would deal enough to progress the fight.

With near perfect form, he gripped his hands around his long sword and lunged towards their opponent, striking right through it. However, before he could step out of the way, the variant swatted at Stephen. The vine where an arm should have been hit the brunette right across the face, nearly knocking him over.

"Think you can finish it off here?" he called, moving to a safe distance.

Spoiler

Morningstar: 18/20 | EN: 0/2 | DMG: 5 | MIT: 9 | Hate: 2
ID: 132010 BD: 10 (+2 DMG)
Activating Straight | 7x2=14 DMG

Nepent Variant: 6/15 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 5
ID: 132011 MD: 9 (+1 DMG)

@NIGHT

Edited by Morningstar

As much as the adventurer wanted to commend Star for his attack, NIGHT was a little too busy looking over her blade, shaking it a little. His strike was dealing much more damage than she had anticipated. It occurred to her that, perhaps, his luck at hitting enemies was just non-comparable to her own, back when she was just starting out. With a glance, she took a rough gauge of the variant's health bar, before her gaze went back over to her sword

"I can--" NIGHT replied with a scowl, resuming form. One beat, and then two, and yet still nothing from the system. She continued holding her stance for a little more, feeling extremely foolish in her state. "-- If the system would actually wor--"

-- Ping!

She pelted forward, unseeable forces carrying her rocketing forward towards the variant. With a well-placed slash, it was enough to sunder the nepent apart, it screeching with a higher pitched squeal, unlike its kin from before. NIGHT stretched her feet out, trying to stop herself from toppling forward as she came to a stop, still feeling rather surprised from the immediate push forth. Panting, she added, "--I.. wasn't ready for that... I'm good though!"

Looks like the plant had dropped the quest item they were looking for. No other reason to stay around here, she figured. As she passed Star by, she waved at him to follow, before scanning the perimeter for any signs of the ugly bobbing enemies. Nothing around. That's good.

"You did pretty good back there," NIGHT said, when they were back at their paces. "A lot more damage than I was familiar with. How's your gear looking?" The player was tempted to pull up an examination window, but since she was already in conversation with him, it couldn't hurt just to ask.

@Morningstar

ID: 132012 | BD: 7 (4, +3)
<<Straight>> vs Nepent Variant.
11 * 2 = 22 DMG | 22 - 5 = 17 DMG

Nepent Variant | HP: -11/15 (-17) | DMG: 10 | MIT: 5

NIGHT | HP: 440/440 | EN: 34/44 (+1, -2) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 11 | EVA: 3

Loot:
ID: 132013 | LD: 18
<Nepent's Ovule> obtained.

Edited by NIGHT

At first, Stephen was a bit worried that NIGHT's attack wouldn't activate. Unexpectedly, she blasted forward and finished off the nepent, leaving behind nothing but blue, crystal-like pixels and and odd looking ball. They had finished the quest.

"Good work," the man smiled, following along as she strolled on past him. She complimented him on his damage, which in all honesty, he hadn't anticipated either. Sword Arts were something he still wasn't completely used to. He took a quick look at his sword and then at his armor. "It's seen better days. I'm definitely due for an upgrade," he told her, considering visiting a shop after receiving his quest rewards. His damage may not have been bad, but it couldn't hurt to improve his items.

The forest had become even quieter than it was before their fight. No more monsters had spawned yet, although he knew that wouldn't last long. They hiked to the edge of the forest when Stephen felt something wet hit his nose. Suddenly, he felt it again; this time on his cheek. "Looks like it's starting to rain."

He ran a hand through his now damp hair and lifted the hood of his cloak over it. The cloak was handy—it kept the rain, wind, and basically everything else off of him, while simultaneously being a fashion statement (if that's what you'd call it). "Do you have anything to keep you dry?" They weren't too far from the safezone, but Stephen thought it would be polite to ask.

@NIGHT

Edited by Morningstar

The woman chuckled, the blacksmith recommendations rushing to her head. "I'd shill for a couple of people I know," she clarified, "but I wouldn't want you to become the target of advertising. Still, though, it should be easy to find a good deal these days in the Town of Beginnings."

Actually... I should upgrade my gear too, she thought, with a moment's pause.

"Looks like it's starting to rain."

And it seemed so, as NIGHT broke out of her thoughts and turned her head upwards to look. Where there was once a sky of brilliant blue, peaking through the leaves, it was now replaced by hints of dark muted blues, overcasting clouds hiding the light from reaching the forest floor. She muttered a word of alarm under her breath, on instinct.

As Star pulled a hood up from his cloak, she turned to face him, shaking her head at his question. "The rain's not a bother for me. I quite like it, actually." With a grin, she placed a hand on her hip, gesturing with the other. "It's mostly the unexpectedness of a downpour that gets me each time. I enjoy the water and chill it brings, not so much the surprise."

A sudden shift came from the bag on her side. Sometimes, she forgot that her familiar came along with her everywhere she went. A small squeak came from the kitten, and NIGHT opened up the flap of the leather bag, checking to see if her cat was doing alright. "I don't suppose you're good with animals?" She shifted her belt, turning her back so that it faced Star. The furry friend peeked his head out, looking upwards as a drop of rain dampened his coat. "Sorry, Nyanko," NIGHT said with a giggle. "I thought you liked the rain too?"

The player met Star's gaze, beginning with another introduction. "That's my familiar. I found him outside one day during a storm. There's an old lady somewhere in the castle that helps players tame creatures like him, I bet she might be in the town one of these days if you want a fuzzy friend of yours."

@Morningstar

• 3 months later...

Stephen was surprised to see the furry creature peek its head out from the bag. Oddly enough, he couldn't remember the last time he'd seen a cat. It brought back memories.

"I had a couple of cats when I was a kid. When I was 13, I wanted a tiger. Everyone said it was 'unsafe' and 'illegal' though, so I never got one."

He'd never thought about finding a familiar. Maybe talking to the old lady was worth a shot. The rain shot down on them like bullets and one step at a time, they trekked through it. Stephen couldn't relate to the girl's love for the rain. He much preferred sunshine and warm weather. Growing up, family trips to tropical countries were a regular occurrence; specifically, they frequented Mexico.

That being said, Stephen respected the realism of the rain. Each drop that touched him felt just as it would have if he were walking down a street back home. It was almost comforting.

The fields had emptied themselves. Normally, boars roamed the area they were in. There were none, however. Stephen thought that, maybe, the rain had pushed them towards the forest's edge. The three of them were alone. A peaceful silence filled the air and Stephen felt bad for breaking it.

"What are your plans after we get back?"

"A tiger," she breathed, pulling the sides of a lips into a smirk. No way. "Well, if it makes you feel any better," the player continued, turning her gaze to the road ahead of her, "I haven't seen a tiger in here yet, but I imagine it might be possible to tame something akin to that. We've already got people walking around with wolves and such. I don't see why not for a tiger to take its turn by our side, y'know?"

Now I want a tiger, NIGHT fancied, before a soft mew caught her attention, and her eyes trailed over to Nyanko, the kitten giving her a look. She slid a thumb over his forehead, before gently ushering him back into the bag as the rain slowly began to pick up. Whoops. --Nevermind. Nyanko's enough for the moment.

"I never had any pets when I was growing up," the player confessed, looking up towards the sky. She held a palm turned upwards as she walked, enjoying the cool sensation and the water dripping down her hand. "Lived in an apartment. They wouldn't allow us to have them, so I got one now that I have the chance. Nyanko's nice."

"What are your plans after we get back?"

She hummed, and her head turned slightly, as though she wanted to face Star, but caught herself halfway. "Earlier, I'd thought about getting my equipment checked out. It's about time I looked into it, anyway. Just about crossing the threshold over to Tier 2 myself." NIGHT raised her arms to stretch, her tracksuit soaking up the downpour. "So I'll probably get that seen to. And you?" A grin accompanied her question. "If I'm not keeping you, you could probably tag along, get your gear looked into as well."

@Morningstar

Stephen was in dire need of upgrades to his gear; whether he decided to go with NIGHT or move on alone, that would not change.

"I'd love to. You can take me to the good shops," he grinned.

The Town of Beginnings was close now. From the pair's position, they could see it's walls quite clearly. Soon enough, the quest would be complete, Stephen would receive his rewards, and he'd be moving on to the next big thing. And, for a short while, that would be his life. Working, becoming stronger, and planning his future in the virtual world. Suddenly, a wave of curiosity swept over him.

"I never asked before," Stephen began, "what brought you back down to the first floor?"

This question sparked another: what was he still doing on the first floor? He scanned the area ahead of them, wondering when the time for him to leave for good would come. Stephen hadn't noticed, but it was starting to get rather dark. Rain clouds prevented the stars from shining over them. Stephen adjusted his hood slightly, allowing some water to hit his face. He thought he was beginning to see why NIGHT liked the rain. It was, to put it simply, nice.

@NIGHT

"Back down?" Now NIGHT was certain to look straight at Star.

"I live here," she added, with a grin. "Got a workshop with my name attached to it. Beats living in an inn room; it's spacious enough to sleep in, and you get the freedom of customizing it." Her head turned to face straight ahead once again. "Cheaper, too. And you can get to working on a profession for some side income while you're at it. It's kind of like a small apartment, though less of the space is your own, and more of it's for a shop."

"You speak as if players ascend the tower, never going back down," NIGHT mused, a curled finger against her lips. "That's usually not the case; there's too many different things to see and do around here. We... come and go. Market's usually busier on the first floor, anyway. 's good when you need to take inventory for a trip somewhere dangerous." She waved a hand, nonchalantly. "Though I hope to spend more time on the higher floors myself, eventually. Wonder what's up there, y'know?"

As the two shuffled back into the safe-zone, NIGHT carted him through her known locales, before finally reaching Macradon's as their destination. The shelter from the rain was welcome, with how hard it'd begin to storm, much to the woman's surprise. "Best in the business," was what she could manage, too busy squeezing out the water from her tracksuit, pulling a wry look. Nodding towards the counter, she added, "You can go on ahead; I'll be right behind you."

Gazing out towards the faded streets, NIGHT could only sigh as she began working at her clothes to dry herself off, facing out into the rain as she continued to watch it fall. A smile came to her, as time passed and a realization came to her, when she was getting the last of her jacket cleared off.

After all, it had been, in fact, a good day.

- - - - -

Thread Closing

[Total]
Morningstar
+ 4SP
+ 200col

NIGHT
+ 2SP
+ 200col

Spoiler

[Quest Reward]
Morningstar