[SP-F1] <<The Fourth Lesson, Is Actually Free>> The FINAL Fetch Quest

Out of the forest, and into the fields......

Ceres cherished the time she spent with Hannah. She enjoyed sitting in the glade, and talking with her - long after any sort of requirements for the quest. It was...a turbulent quest to say the very least. Ceres struggled to comprehend that Hannah was an NPC - and for a short time, had fooled herself into believing the Artisan was a human. 'Sometimes...lies hurt less than the truth...' Ceres thought to herself.

But Ceres had to come to terms with the fact that Hannah will forever be sketching in that glade, forever asking players to fetch her gems. Still… Ceres lifted her hand up to see the ring that Hannah had made her. The time was special - the feelings were real. And at the end of the day, did anything else matter?

Ceres would complete this quest, it looked to be the final one in the quest line. She’d try to have fun with whoever ‘Ol Pete’ was, then she’d return back to her secluded life within the Town of Beginnings - it wasn’t all that bad.

Maybe, just maybe she’d try opening up to others a little more - as long as she made sure they weren’t NPCs first. Ceres had to wonder if there was any real way to tell from just a glance.

THREAD STATS

STATS:
LEVEL 9 | 180 HP | 18 ENERGY

EQUIPPED ARMOUR/WEAPONS

-Small Dagger: +1 DAMAGE  | Leather Chestplate + 1 EVA | Ring of Promise +1 ACC

BATTLE READY INVENTORY
5 Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP) | 5 Tier One Health Potions of Uncommon Quality (+40HP)  |  Tier One Over-Health Potion (+50 Temp. HP)

Edited by Ceres
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The trek to the lake took very little time - keeping an eye on her map meant Ceres could avoid any roaming boars. If she never saw another boar again, it’d be too soon. Way too soon. Hell, she’d rather fight two crystal cave guardians at once than another Boar Pup.

“Let’s see…” She mused to herself as the lake came into view on the horizon. “Hannah said he would be out fishing...and this wrapped package… is long and slender - no doubt it’s a pole.”

That meant...that she’d probably have to go fishing with him - yet another introduction to another profession. Ceres decided if she were to ever pick a profession - it would be none of these. Even if it were purely out of spite.

Ceres arrived at the lakes edge. It was large - its expanse reaching just beyond the horizon. “Oh...whoa….” Ceres said exasperated She knew it was big, but...taht was a little bit of an understatement.  So...here was the lake, but where was Ol’ Pete?

Ceres assumed there would have to be a boat, dock, or harbour or jetty… since she couldn’t exactly swim out to the middle of the lake to see the old man. Even if she hadn’t been questing all day - the woman was sure that she most certainly did not have the stamina for such a feat.

So, instead - she walked. One foot in front of the other as they crunched against the hardened dirt that surrounded the lake. All she had to do was keep her eyes out for a structure along the lake - she just hoped it wasn’t on the direct opposite side. Ceres lifted a hand to her head to shield it from the suns glare.

“Hrmmm….”  She couldn’t see anything just yet, but docks and jettys generally weren’t very visable - they were usually fairly flat.

“It’d be better if this quest were near an ocean…” Ceres sighed as she kicked a pebble into the lake. “At least then I’d have the fresh sea air to breathe. This lake smells a little….” Her nose wrinkled.  “A musty, earthy scent of decay…” It wasn’t as bad as it sounded - but that was the best way the woman could describe the smell.

All in all, it didn’t take as long as Ceres would have thought. After several minutes of casually kicking stones into the lake, and grumbling about the smell of algae Ceres happened upon a small dock.  The dock jutted out into the water - made of dark oak slats. At the end of it sat a small boat. Almost comically so - Ceres had seen dozens of fishing boats in her time and this? This barely counted as a boat.

The old man actually goes out in this?’

Was Ceres’ first thoughts as she approached him. “Hey, are you Ol’ Pete?” She asked.

The old man grunted in response, he was in his boat - back facing her - it looked like he was attempting to tie bits of fishing string together. Ceres huffed. Rude.

“Fine.” She said with a shrug as she turned away.

“I guess If you’re not Ol’ Pete I’ll just have to give this special package from a lovely girl named Hannah to someone else.”

"What? What? Fine Fine..." The old man turned around, arm on back as he grumbled under his breath. Stepping out of the boat and onto the dock. The way he acted..the way his hands shook, it looked like he hand some sort of back injury, or possibly arthritis. Should an old man like this really be fishing? Ceres raised an eyebrow at this.

"Aye. I'm Ol' Pete, I suppose yer got my new fishin' rod for me then?" He jutted a hand out expectantly, as though she’d just happily hand over the delivery.

Ceres held the package tightly between her hands, tempted to tell the old man to go to hell for being so rude. But she had to continually remind herself that he was nothing more than an NPC. He was programmed to be this way. Just like Hannah was programmed to be...loving, kind, and warm. The redheaded woman sighed as she handed the package over to Ol' Pete. Who grabbed it and grinned.

"Ahhh...  I got yer all wrong miss. Yer very kind. Thank you for delivering this to me."

Well that attitude changed quickly  Ceres thought to herself.

"You're welcome...." Ceres began, taking a single step back. Was this it? Would this be the quest. Bam. Boom. Dusted. Just like that? "I suppose if you don't need anything else from me, I'll be on my way."  Ceres turned on her heel ready to walk away and reap the rewards of an easy quest - but alas - things were not that easy for the poor, socially inept woman.

"Actually."

Ceres flinched. There it was. There was always an extra step to these things, wasn't there? She sighed as she turned around to face him again, a fake smile plastered across her face. "Hmm? Is there something else I can help you with Ol' Pete" She practically hissed out his name a she clasped her hands together.

Old Pete nodded as he stroked his beard. "Mmm yes - This pole is for reelin' in a big fish I've been huntin' for some time now...but as you can see..." HE held out his shaky hand. "I'm in disrepair at the moment...would you join me out on the river and accompany this old fool in achieving his life's dream?"

Lifes dream? That was a tad rich....still, what choice did she have?

“Sure….lead the way.” Ceres said as she flexed one of her arms. “I am stronger than I look.” She gave him a wry grin. This conversation felt so forced and contrived.

Ceres sat on the boat opposite Ol’ Pete as he happily whistled. He seemed to have absolutely no issue with rowing the boat. So why did he need her help with fishing? She wasn’t very well versed on the sport but she was fairly certain that rowing took a lot of cardio - and fishing took a lot of...sitting around and waiting.

Still. She kept relatively quiet. Instead of being bitter about the situation she tried to turn it around. She was on a boat, in the middle of a lake, at twilight. The sun reflected off the waters and it looked like fire danced upon its surface.

“I Guess this isn’t so bad…” Ceres said to herself as she reached out and dipped a hand into the waters cool surface.

“Careful lass.” Ol’ Pete warned.  “Yer hand may just attract the wrong sort o’ fish.”

Ceres quickly pulled her hand out, and wiped it dry on her clothing. “Ah…Yeh… I think I want to avoid big monsters for a while.”

Ol’ Pete cleared his throat, and went back to whistling.

Well...that’s not a good sign.

"Welp..." Ol' Pete said as he placed the Rows neatly back into the boat and stood. "This is the spot." He arched his back and several loud pops came from his spine. "Ahh my joints ain't what they used to be."

He picked up the fishing rod and fiddled with it, looping the string from the reel up through all the little holes that Ceres did not know the name for. Finally he handed her the rod. “If yer pal Hannah made it - this rod will be mighty fine, and reel in most anything. What I’m looking fer is a Monsterous Swordfish. About tha size of this here boat.”

“Wait…” Ceres said as she took the rod in her hand. “How...are we going to get it back if it’s as big as the boat?”

“Yer just leave that to me.” Said Ol’ Pete as he reached down and picked up a smaller rod. “Now. When yer throw yer rod back you want to keep your finger on the line here.” He pressed on the string, just above the reel. “Then - when yer throw it forward let go - the force of the throw will cast yer line. Watch.”

He cast his line with relative ease, and the tiny floating dot of red symbolized where his hook, sinker and bait sat.

“Yer turn.”

"Right....this should be easy enough...."

Cers did just as he was told, hauling the heavy rod over her shoulder with her index finger placed firmly over the fishing line to hold it in place. Then, with a grunt of exertion Ceres cast the line forward - it went out further than the old mans. "Oh wow...." It was much easier than she thought.

Ol' Pete whistled as he shielded his weary eyes from the harsh light of the setting sun. "Wow Girlie. I Didn't believe ya when you said you were stronger than you look. But you proved me wrong."

Ceres shot the man a half hearted glare then sighed. She was clearly tired. "So do I just wait or-"

Nope.

The line dipped and the fishing rod bent. "Ah...what-waht do I do?"

"Reel it in ya daft girl! Reel it in!" Said Ol' Pete, showing her how to with his own fishing rod. "Don't let it fight ya. Give the rod a sharp jerk then reel in as fast as ya can."

"R-Right..." Ceres did as she was told, and it took....it took more strength than she initially thought. Ceres felt like she was towing in a small car- not just a fish. The closer she reeled it in, the more she noticed... that it was exactly what she needed.

With a sudden splash the Swordfish made its appearance.

ID# 132225  CD: 10
SWORDFISH CAUGHT

Edited by Ceres

"W-whaaat do I do now?" Ceres screamed, startled. The heck? This...this was huge - the boat rocked to and fro. With the sheer strength the Swordfish had. Ceres grit her teeth together as she continued to reel it in.

"Give me the rod ya daft girl - I'll reel it in close and ya go attack it, righteo?"

No. That wasn't very 'righteo' with her - but what choice did Ceres have? "Uh...Uhm here." The redhead shoved the rod into the gleeful old man's hands and he gave it a hard tug. Drawing the sword fish closer.

Ceres pulled out her dagger and feebly tried to swing at the Swordfish as its glistening body rocked up against the boat - but with a flip of its tail and a splash back into the water - she had missed. Ceres groaned.

Today was not a good day to be a dagger user. “How am I supposed to hit a target like this without jumping overboard?” She asked.

CERES STATS:

SWORDFISH STATS:
35 HP

HP: 35
Dmg: 50 (on first successful hit only)/ 5(Does not gain bonus damage from crits)

CERES
ID# 132226  BD: 3+1 =FAIL

Edited by Ceres

"I said to attack the Swordfish, not give it a jolly ol' pat on the back girl." Snapped Ol' Pete as the Sword fish turned around. He gave another hard yank on the fishing line. “Look out lass, he’s about to try and attack - that first one is always right nasty- I’d suggest yer try to knock it out before then.”

"Im Trying Ceres retorted. "It's a little hard when its a giant slippery fish with an even bigger pointed spike for a snout that could quite literally impale us BOTH at the same time."

That spike will injure you quite badly lass, if ya don’t concentrate and steady yerself now.”

Ceres held onto the boat as the Swordfish rammed into it in an attempt to overturn the dingy. It's a good thing she didn't feel seasick right now. "Urgh..." If that was its attempt at an attack. Ceres was glad that it missed.

CERES STATS:

SWORDFISH STATS:
35 HP

Dmg: 50 (on first successful hit only)/ 5(Does not gain bonus damage from crits)

SWORDFISH
ID# 132227  MOB: 3-1 =FAIL

Edited by Ceres

"Quick Lass, reach out and swipe at it before the fish swims back away."  Ol' Pete grunted as he struggled to hold onto the fishing line. Ceres had to give the old man some credit, he was so rude and bristly earlier, but now he was constantly shouting advice at her, urging her to fight. Telling her when to dodge. Without him, there was no way she would be able to complete this quest.

"Right!" Ceres said as she reached over the boat and jabbed her dagger into the fish. It was a successful hit. "HA!" The elation quickly disappeared and Ceres hit her head against the rim of the boat. Her attack...did practically nothing. She should have saved that potion for this fight instead maybe?

No... The crystal Guardian was stronger than this....this was just....frustratingly annoying. At least she still had her full health...and an inventory filled with potions. Ceres was quite sure she'd outlast this fish. She'd leveled up considerably, and whilst she didn't have the skill points... she did have stubborn determination.

CERES STATS:

SWORDFISH STATS:
32/35 HP

CERES
ID# 132228  BD: 6+1 - HIT

Edited by Ceres

"Ayyy, I'm loosing control - lookout lass, this may be its attempt at a whooping blow to ya." Strained were his words but they rang loud in her head. Old Pete was essentially serving as live feedback, telling her exactly what the fish was going to do. A useful mechanic to incorporate into the Old Man NPC. At least Ceres had those precious few seconds to prepare her next move.

"Great..." Ceres steeled herself as the Sword Fish did exactly what Old Pete told her it'd do, it flung itself up and out of the water then tilted its head forward.

STAB

The mild static shock of pain erupted from her chest where the Sword Fishes...snout…(or sword...thing? She wasn’t sure.) stabbed right through her. It was a very strange sensation, akin to a visit at the doctors. Ceres clasped its nose with one hand. Holding it in place. “You can’t do that again if you’re stuck here can you?”

CERES STATS:
LEVEL 9 | 130/180 HP | 18 ENERGY

SWORDFISH STATS:
32/35 HP

SWORDFISH
ID# 132229  MOB 7-1
HIT

Edited by Ceres

Ol' Pete pulled the rod up and away as the Sword Fish thrashed around, trying to free itself from her grip. "Aye Lass... I don't know if I should congratulate ya for being ballsy, or slap the side of ya head for being a complete and utter idiot."

Ceres ignored Ol' Pete and attempted to thrust the blade into the Sword Fishes head, but with a quick and unexpected jerk, the Sword Fish broke free and dove back into the water. Leaving Ceres with a heavy chunk of her health missing, and it with barely a scratch. Ceres sighed as she ran her hand over her chest where it had impaled her - there wasn't any wounds...but it still felt weird.

"Ready ta try again?" Ol' Pete asked. "The fish is about to come back around again and try ta knock you out the boat to get a better aim on ya. Just hold steady and ye will be right."

"Got it old man." Ceres said as she steadied herself on the rocking boat.

CERES STATS:

SWORDFISH STATS:
32/35 HP

CERES
ID# 132230  BD 2 + 1
FAIL

Edited by Ceres

Just as the old man predicted the Swordfish bad looped back, giving enough breadth between the boat and itself so that it could- Yep....

Old Petes predictions were right, the Sword Fish was swimming toward the boat at full force. Ceres crouched down and gripped the sides of the wooden boat. Lilac eyes staring down the dorsal fin of the fish as it broke the surface of the water. Still speeding toward them. What a callous fish. Couldn't it just be hauled over the side of the boat and drown...wait...suffocate? Whatever Fish did when they were out of water. Ceres shook her head. No. She had to concentrate.

Steady....Steady....

WHAM

It hit the boat hard, Ceres was fine - but Ol' Pete was busy holding the line. He stumbled forward then backward then slid down to a seated position. "Aye, that almost got me it did." Ol' Pete said with a gruff laugh.

Well.. at least one of them were having some fun. Ceres was soaking wet at this point, and couldn't exactly say the same for herself.

CERES STATS:

SWORDFISH STATS:
32/35 HP

SWORDFISH
ID# 132231  MOB:  6-1
MISS

Edited by Ceres

The Sword Fish seemed like it was stunned for a moment, after it had rammed the boat it lingered, the waters surface splashing up and into the boat as the giant fish thrashed just below the surface. Ceres blinked when she realized what was happening…. Old Pete was keeping the line drawn close so she had a better chance to hit it.

So in she went for the attack, but the fish dove further beneath the water before she had a chance to hit it. “Dammit….” Ceres muttered, still hanging over the side of the rocking boat.

Old Pete grunted as he lifted a hand to adjust his hat then ran it underneath his nose a few times. “Yer not too good at this, are ya lass?” He commented with a quick flick of the rod. “Ya flailing around more than the Sword Fish, maybe I should have caught YOU instead.” He said with a Guffor.

Ceres was not laughing. She didn’t see him trying to fight a Sword Fish the size of the freaking boat

CERES STATS:

SWORDFISH STATS:
32/35 HP

CERES
ID# 132232  BD:  2+1
MISS

Edited by Ceres

"Don't mean to offend ya lass. Ya just seem to be a ...fish out of water out here." He said with an amused tone, then laughed at his own pun. Ceres didn't appreciate it. Wasn't he meant to be helping her? He was still sitting on the floor of the boat holding the pole, reeling it in every so often. Was he more useless when he sat down? Was this like...the games strange way of instating a 'cool-down' period on him predicting the Sword Fishes moves?

Why else would he switch from helpful ol' coot to completely useless old bastard?

With her back turned the Sword Fish jumped out the water, and with its tail it slapped it hard across the back of her head - taking another chunk of Ceres’ HP away. “Ow!” Ceres rubbed the back of her head then turned to the old man.

“HEY! You!”

“Me?”

“Yeh You! Why didn’t you warn me?”

Ol’ Pete shrugged. “It’s you lass, who should be focusing on the monster.”

CERES STATS:
LEVEL 9 | 125/180 HP | 18 ENERGY

SWORDFISH STATS:
32/35 HP

SWORDFISH
ID# 132233  MOB 7-1
HIT

Edited by Ceres

“Ugh…” Ceres turned back around again, he had a point….She had been too focused on what he was doing, and why he was acting the way he was acting and her lack of judgement caused her to get hit. The fish didn’t do too much damage , but every time it took a chunk of her health away - and she fruitlessly did nothing… it got to her.

“Maybe I”m too tired to finish this today... “ Ceres said with a groan as she rubbed her eyes. It would be smarter...to phone it in, and try again another day. After she was rested- maybe after she had invested her skills in something...anything

But that’s not the way she did things - Ceres was not one to give up.

She gave a half-hearted swipe at the Sword Fish as its tail dipped out of the water, and as expected….she missed. “I hope I get some sleep tonight…”

CERES STATS:

SWORDFISH STATS:
32/35 HP

CERES
ID# 132234  BD: 3+1
Miss

Edited by Ceres

“How long do these battles usually last?” Ceres asked as she watched the sword fish dip under the water - the darkness of its shadow disappearing under the small boat.

“Depends lass. Sometimes a a few minutes, other times, a few hours. That’s the beauty of fishing. Its not the time it takes - its the enjoyment of the - oi.” Ol’ Pete pulled hard on the fishing rod. It bent almost in half and Ceres thought it would snap any moment.

A large ‘Thunk’ on the bottom of the boat and a few seconds later the Sword Fish rose to the surface again.

“Aye, its got quite a bit of fight left in it yet.” Ol’ Pete flicked his hat to push the brim out of his eyes. “So -lass, do you have quite a bit o’ fight left in you?”

Ceres tuned her lilac eyes to the waters below. SHe wanted to say no, she wanted to tell the old man to sod of  - but no. She still had hear health and her potions. “Yeh. I suppose I do.”

CERES STATS:

SWORDFISH STATS:
32/35 HP

SWORDFISH
ID# 132235  MOB 6-1
Miss

Edited by Ceres

She had plenty of fight in her. Even if she had to stay here all night. She would. Ceres was sick of missing, instead of remaining fully in the boat she put one booted foot up on the side of the boat and waited for her chance, once the Sword Fish curved around close enough Ceres reached out to swipe at it.

Instead of hitting it Ceres tumbled overboard, barely managing to hold onto the side of the boat.

"D-Damit old man...help me..." Ceres screamed as she struggled to pull herself back up. Her scrambling legs were dancing atop the slick, slimy, surface of the giant swordfish. This was not a safe predicament to be in. How could she have missed so terribly?

“Aye, I’d like to lass but…” Ol’ Pete lifted up the large fishing rod. “I’m a tad bit busy keeping tabs on our fishy friend here. You got big strong arms - pull yerself back up. IF ya can’t then you’re gonna get quite a nasty bump.

CERES STATS:

SWORDFISH STATS:
32/35 HP

CERES
ID# 132236  BD 1+1
FAIL

Edited by Ceres