[F01-PP] Taking a Break -- <<Secret Medicine of the Forest>>

Another day, another run. With the bright azure skies up above, and puffy white clouds partially in the way, the day seemed to prove itself a nice, blissful treat. It was definitely one that NIGHT certainly needed once in a while.

Today, she found herself back at Horunka again, jogging on the outskirts of Floor 1. From her previous visits here, it really did seem like the town needed help getting the medication, though NIGHT was sure it was all part and parcel of the Aincrad's design. At least sticking around this village meant she was getting out of the workshop, not putting herself in any mortal danger, and socializing with other players. That's what she needed most right now. For her sake, if not others.

A bright red mop caught her eye. Flashy colours like those always had, even in the densest of crowds. Another unfamiliar face, but definitely a player, according to the markers above them. Making sure to catch her breath this time, she wandered over to the woman with a wave, uncertain if it would draw her attention. Even though she had her guesses, it wouldn't hurt to ask anyway, "Yo, you new here? I don't suppose you need any help with some nepents...?"

@Ceres
# sorry for the delay i ended up falling asleep before i could post x_x

Spoiler

NIGHT 
Lv: 22 | HP: 440 | EN: 44 | SP: 64
DMG: 11 | MIT: 0 | ACC: 3 | EVA: 3

[Skills]

1. Two-Handed Straight Sword | Passive | RANK 5/5
  2. Heavy Armor | Passive | RANK 1/5
  3. - - -
  4. - - - 

• Survival | Passive 

[Examine]

• [T1E3] Doombringer
    "WEAPON: A black broadsword; large, heavy and sturdy. The edge is lined with silver, and its guards are decorated with gold. It looks like it's been sharpened to a tee, so handle it with care."
    -- [ Damage III | +3 DMG. ]
  • [T1E3] Threads of Dexterity
    "LIGHT ARMOR: Black primarily, with accents of white, modeled like a set of running shoes. Feels like them too. Cleats are found at the sole, giving the user extra traction on smooth surfaces."
    -- [ Evasion III | +3 EVA ]
  • [T1E3] Eye of Horus Enamel Pin
    "HEAVY ARMOR: While most enamel pins are golden, this one's has been painted in black. A circular and triangular base have been overlaid on each other, encapsulating the Eye of Horus within. The markings where the Egyptian pattern stands out are laced with gold."
    -- [ Accuracy III | +3 ACC ]

- - - - - -

• Starter Healing Potions (3) --- Heals 50 HP.
  • [T1] Uncommon Health Potions (3) --- Heals 40 HP.
  • [T1] Over-health Potion (1) --- Provides 50 temporary HP.

[Misc]

• Aincrad Trading Post Guild Membership
    -- [ ATP Guild Bonus | +5% more col from killed mobs, +10% col from treasure chests. ]
Edited by NIGHT

"New....here?"

Lilac eyes blinked a few times in mild confusion. Ceres had been absently staring up at the clouds, only to have her view blocked by another.  "Not new..." Ceres said airily, "I just...don't go out much."  And it was true - it was only recently that Ceres had begun to start venturing out and about - actually doing quests instead of doing the bare minimum to survive.  Never quite being good with social norms Ceres reached out to the other woman and pushed back errant bangs of raven coloured hair away from the others ashen face. Her cheeks were flushed, and her face glistened as though she had been...

"Oh..." Ceres pulled her hand away. "You were...exercising?" It seemed like an odd thing to do- physical fitness didn't really matter here. Still. "That's very admirable... but you look pretty without the need for that.."

"Nepents?" Where did she hear that name before? "Oh! It is that forest quest...I was looking at doing that..." Ceres shifted her gaze away. "But I haven't really done a quest with someone else before." She tugged nervously on crimson strands. Was this girl even a 'someone' ever since the incident with Hannah Ceres kept second guessing herself - she knew that the other girl had a player marker over her head - but did that even matter? What if she was a NPC?  It's not like Ceres really had anyone come up to her normally.

How do you..approach someone about that? The other woman asked first, right? So was she the one wanting to join in?  "I assume...you do? I'd help... if that's what you're asking."

STATS:
LEVEL 9 | 180 HP | 18 ENERGY

EQUIPPED ARMOUR/WEAPONS

-Small Dagger: +1 DAMAGE | Left Pauldron +1 DAM MIT | Leather Chestplate + 1 EVA | Ring of Promise +1 ACC

BATTLE READY INVENTORY
5 Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP) | 5 Tier One Health Potions of Uncommon Quality (+40HP)  |  Tier One Over-Health Potion (+50 Temp. HP)

hold up hold up hold up-- what just happened...?

The new player, Ceres, had ended up seeming rather distant in her answers. That was fine and all, the adventurer was becoming rather forward with her greetings these days, and some delays or eccentricities were to be expected. But what the woman did next -- to push NIGHT's hair out the way -- was completely unprecedented. If she hadn't already started blushing, the compliments that proceeded afterwards about her diligence would've further reddened her face. NIGHT would've stammered out something, if she had anything further to say, but stayed silent, listening, trying to process Ceres' directness instead.

-- Oh, it turned out she really was looking to act on the quest after all. Thank goodness her instincts were right, otherwise she'd be more flustered and further into a predicament than she would be. "I-It's alright," NIGHT managed to say, "There's always a first for everything. It's not my first time doing this quest exactly..."

How should I put this... Umm...

"...I'm really here to look out for newer adventurers. At the earlier levels, most players would be a little lost," she mentioned, scratching her cheek, "and that's normal. So I'm here to help, if that makes sense." NIGHT looked over Ceres' appearance, trying not to think too hard while searching for a weapon on her person. "If you don't mind me joining you on your venture, I don't mind taking care of the nepents for you. They're a little... distressing in appearance, I think."

@Ceres

"I'm Ceres, by the way."  The woman introduced herself with a faint smile, often she forgot to introduce herself - and wanted to make it a habit to do that first before she started asking questions or making observations.

"That's...kind of you." Ceres said as the woman mentioned she was just looking out for newer players, helping them on their quests. A brief look of distaste crossed Ceres' features when she thought of Alkor - and how cruel he ha been to her when she attempted to see something new, just once. The redhead shook the sour thought from her head as she brushed strands of her own hair back behind her ears. "Not everyone is as outgoing as that but...I must warn you, I'm not very good with people - you'd be the first person I'm venturing out with."

Ceres opened up her menu...glancing through the options. "Let me....see...if we were doing a quest together...I would need to send you a party invite, right?" Ceres found the option and sent it to the other player - now seeing her name. "Ah. So you chose to be called NIGHT?" She tilted her head to the side - eyes drifting up and down the other womans form with a half lidded gaze. "That makes sense - you look like the night sky."

Ceres pressed send on the party invite. "Midnight hair and eyes like stars, I mean." Ceres said as she tried to clarify her words. She wasn't sure why the other woman seemed...flustered was it?

"Are you alright? Your face is still red."

@NIGHT

"I- Y-yeah yeah, I'm alright," NIGHT clarified, a little too quickly. She was never good at dealing with interactions like these. Showered with flattery, and furthermore, from a cute girl? Incredibly improbable. Why was she like this? "Sorry... it's nothing. Just... me things."

It took her a moment to clear up her head, covering her mouth with a hand and accepting the party request with the other. "It's really okay," she managed to mutter out, "Everyone's gotta start their adventures from somewhere. Better to get some experience in now than later." It's what she reasoned, as she turned to start walking, trying to avoid Ceres' gaze. At the moment, it was hard for her to even keep eye contact with the woman.

"B-but yeah-- Thank you for the compliments. NIGHT's a name I didn't think I'd be able to take, but it was my handle online for a good while." She paused, not knowing if she should continue talking. "My Nerve Gear wasn't exactly calibrated to accept Japanese characters... This was the closest thing I got to it."

Small talk, small talk. NIGHT wasn't familiar with the practice, but knowing the two were new at this, she tried approaching the subject anyway. With a glance (it was all she could manage) she asked, "What about you then? Where'd you get the name Ceres from?"

@Ceres

Ceres listened as NIGHT spoke, talking about how the characters she wanted to put into the Nerve Gear wouldn't exactly work. This conversation...was nice. It didn't feel tense or forced like her previous conversations with others. Maybe it was because they were walking side by side during a sunny day, or it was the gentle breeze that carried away her worries. No matter the reason, Ceres couldn't help but smile.  "Japanese names are usually made up of two or three different Kanji - right? Did yours create the meaning of night Sky?" Ceres asked.

The two had shifted away from the town of beginnings, walking together - side by side toward the forest. It was a pleasant day - and the pace was casual. It seemed that the two were in no real rush.

"I minored in Classical studies -and for it I specialized in Greek Mythology. I really liked their lore - and how all their gods and goddesses were just as infallible as humans, if not more. They're portrayed as individuals with many faults rather than beings to be revered. I would have gone with Persephone...as she was always my favorite - but it wouldn't accept that name, maybe it was taken?  Demeter was also taken...So I picked Ceres, she is the Roman goddess of agriculture. So....its the Roman equivalent. I know they aren't exactly the same thing but..." She trailed off. Come to think of it.. the explanation made very little sense.

"It's...just a name I like I guess..."

Ceres checked the map - so they were heading into the forest to fight Nepents...and apparently they were gruesome. "Wow..." Ceres mused. "It looks like this quest could be quite bothersome if it doesn't drop what we need... I suppose... this is a bad time to mention I haven't invested anything into skills yet."

Ceres paused in her stead just as they neared the treeline into the forest. She hugged her arm. Feeling uncertain. "I should have mentioned something about that earlier. I'm sorry.

@NIGHT

NIGHT's eyes widened as Ceres made her observation. "Yeah, actually," she uttered, a bit sheepish. "You hit the nail on the head." Was she just an easy-to-read person after all? … Maybe, but that's not so bad, right…? Glancing over at her companion, she watched as her lips turned up in a smile. It was good knowing that they seemed to be enjoying themselves. NIGHT felt her shoulders relax over that, just a little.

She listened in as Ceres revealed her perspective too, of the relations between gods and humans, Greek and Roman. Her speech felt of warm, genuine interest. NIGHT herself wasn't too fussed with myths of old, but she found herself recounting the legends from memory, as the woman spoke each name. Familiar. "It's nice," she finally added, finding space in the conversation. "Ceres, I mean. I think it's cute that you found something you were interested in and strung it into your character. There's a brilliance in that, I imagine."

It also reminded her of Athena, and of Floor 17. "You know, there's a place I think you just might like," she spoke, finally able to make out the trees on the horizon. "The gods you speak of; they have representations of themselves in the game, if you find yourself interested in craftsmanship. On one of the higher floors of Aincrad...?" NIGHT paused, trying to find the words to follow that up with, but as she was lost in thought, Ceres managed some musing, and surprised her with a revelation.

"Eh?"

She hadn't invested any points into skills yet? "It's no problem!" The woman responded out loud, in complete surprise. Her tone was eager, but behind that was a genuine curiosity. "Promise. At my level, I should be more than capable of taking out those nepents." NIGHT patted her chest with a fist, attempting to reassure her acquaintance. "But, uh, just wondering, is there a particular reason why? Are you saving your skills for something?"

@Ceres

Ceres gave NIGHT a proud smile, when the other woman told her she hit the nail on the head. "I may sound a little..absentminded - and admittedly - I am. But I'm quite observant. I just notice things others seem to miss - but that often gets me in strife, I catch myself staring at others without meaning to. I think..." Ceres paused. "I think...I've just always enjoyed observing people more than I have talking to them."  Did that sound...weird? Ceres furrowed her brows, if someone told her that all they did was stare at others, she'd think they were a loon.

There was...stuff like that on higher floors? "Floor 17 you say? Ah...that sounds nice but - I haven't ever ventured past the third floor. Even then I was only ever in the town. I didn't go outside the safe zone. When I'm ready I wouldn't mind going there - when I'm a little stronger let's go together." Ceres grinned. "It'll be a date, right?" 

Ceres, was oblivious to the tone of her words, the inflection that they carried. What she said reigned true. She was observant - but she wasn't practical in applying those things in social situations, it usually ended up with her commenting on how someone acted or looked, without thinking of what the other would think, or how her comments could be perceived.

NIGHTS enthusiasm didn't put Ceres off - it was actually relieving, knowing someone who was strong enough was so willing and eager to help her.

"No...not really - I'm just indecisive. I don't know what I want to do just yet.." Ceres reached up and started to twirl one of her long earrings. Her pink lips pursed. "Mmm....most of the skills...they are all for fighting, but I am not interested in that. I want to be able to do things like - collecting stuff. There are plenty of ways to do this game right? So why not do a collection build where I can seek, search, and loot all the things." Ceres turned her lilac eyes to NIGHT. "I think, I'd like to be an information broker."

She stepped forward and lightly pressed her index finger to the tip of NIGHTs nose. "If I ever find anything useful, I'll give you a freebie. For helping me today." Ceres smiled with the slightest tilt of her head,  "And being so kind." She stepped past NIGHT, grabbing the other girls hand along the way.

"Well, shall we go fight some of these Nepent things then?"

@NIGHT

"You'd be surprised, though. People-watching is an activity, after all." NIGHT hesitated for a moment. "Back before I stepped out of the Town of Beginnings, we used to people watch all the time. I mean, I was never good at it," she admitted, a hand rubbing her neck. "I'd get lost in my own thoughts before I was able to keep an eye on anything... Waiting, watching and wondering used to be the name of the game." Those days were over for her by now, but she wondered if there'd ever be a time she'd slow down just to do it again -- staring into a crowd, thinking about the future.

When Ceres seemed to take interest in the higher floors, NIGHT felt herself beaming. Maybe it had only been fresh on her mind due to how recent the trip was. Still, she was entirely satisfied to have appealed to her companion---

--Did she say date?

The player hid her face behind her hand once again, trying to hide the plastic grin stuck on her face. "S-sure! I-I mean, when I went there the other time, i-t told me to go alone, buht--" NIGHT cleared her throat. "-- I wouldn't mind taking a walk there, when I get stronger too." She shot Ceres a smile, much more toned-down from the one she couldn't control earlier. "It... should be safe, though. If you ever get a message about a quest from them. The system knows what to do."

She slowed down when her party member began to think, fidgeting with her earrings. A hand still over her mouth, she tried making minimal eye contact once again, finding it a little easier this time. So decorative... Girls really are too pretty.

It didn't shock her when Ceres revealed her intentions to be an information broker. In fact, NIGHT was further intrigued by this. "That's super cool," she started, lowering her hand. "Information brokers really feel like the backbone--"

Her thoughts were cut short once again, as she felt her nose be pressed by the woman beside her, feeling very vulnerable as she couldn't hide her blushing cheeks from her companion. It almost felt like she was being teased the whole time Ceres tilted her head and smiled. Was she for real? Intentional, or to be this oblivious about her own actions?

"Sure," NIGHT said curtly, finally managing to stammer out an answer after what felt like forever. Her face felt stiff, as she squeezed out another reply. "Thank you."

And with that, she was pulled along by the hand, burning as red as Ceres' hair when she followed behind. "Y-yeah, lead the way!"

@Ceres

-She is this oblivious-

Ceres smiled.  "You know...I'm relieved to hear that I am not the only one that likes to people watch. I find it helps me understand others a little better. I sometimes like to give them stories too. Make up  entire plots in my head, I studied Journalistic writing and I feel like it helps my creative process when I work."  Ceres watched as NIGHT rubbed the back of her neck. "Hmm?" Was she worried? Nervous. "Don't be ashamed - a part of watching others, or sitting silently is so we can get lost in our own thoughts. It's important that we are able to reflect on things like that...and these days not many people take the time to do that." Ceres gave NIGHT a smile. "I think it's healthy that you do, and hey - you even go for runs here. You're probably one of the more self-aware and fit people I've met here." Ceres averted her gaze. "Err, not that I've really met that many people...you'd be the third."

Why did she admit that? Why did she so willingly be like 'Oh hey nice new person, guess what I'm socially inept and after two years in this game I've met a total of three people! Isn't that absolutely amazing? Wait - that makes me a shut in? Well sh*t

Ceres' thoughts would have continued along that line, self depreciating, if it weren't for the fact that NIGHT bought her hand up to her face. Ceres furrowed her brows in confusion at this. Had either of the two said something that was embarrassing or inapropriate? Ceres couldn't think of anything. Then came the stuttering. "Are you ok? Did I say something to embarrass you?" She rose a finger to her lips and spoke with a thoughtful tone. "No... I probably said something wrong, If I did I-"

Their conversation was interrupted as 4 Nepents came bursting through the trees, each one cackling as they toppled over the smaller shrubbery, snapping twigs and branches as they neared the two women.

image.png.8a8342538eae1dd26a674bf9c3b256ee.png"What?" Ceres recoiled, bumping into NIGHT as four strange plantlike creatures emerged from the forest. Four?  At ONCE!?  Up until now Ceres never had to worry about battling any more than one mob at a time, and now - there were four of them towering over the two girls. Beaming at them with wide, red glossy lips. Each scuttled forward on slimy tendril like tentacles that protruded from their base, and from behind them it appeared that they had a vine-like tail which whipped back and forward in a rhythmic pattern. Like a metronome.

"These things...look really gross." Ceres commented as she turned her eyes away from them. "Why do they have lips!?" She questioned NIGHT.  "And why are those lips upside down?"  Ceres forced herself to look back at the creatures, what would their attacks be? If the two girls stayed far enough back - they'd use their tail vine things, right?

Ceres pulled out her small dagger, and inwardly cursed. She promised herself that she was going to get a sword or something to replace it...but she had completely forgotten. That was okay...these things were much smaller than the giant Cave Guardian - and their..flesh? Their plant membranes? Whatever they were made of... was much softer than hard rock.

The nearest Nepents tail stopped its rhythmic motion and coiled up - Ceres's eyes widened. That was a sign that It'd attack. The Nepents vine lashed up and out toward them.  "MOVE!" Ceres hissed as she literally threw her wait on top of NIGHT, sending them both to the floor - Ceres pushed herself up - hands either side of the other girl, NIGHT would be lying beneath her - looking shocked. "I uh- sorry I just-" Ceres wasn't able to apologize properly before being interrupted by the second Nepent, it must have struck her in the back with another vine attack- she hadn't seen it but felt it. Her body shook as that strange tingling sensation tickled the mid of her back.

Ceres rolled off of NIGHT and tightened the hold she had on her dagger - charging for the first one. She jammed its old, rusted blade into one of the slimy tendrils it used to walk. "Kekekekkekkekeeeee" The Nepent cried out in pain as the words 'Critical Hit' appeared above its head.

@NIGHT

CERES 178/180

ID:#131929   BD: 10 + 1
CRITICAL HIT +2

NIGHT 440/440
ID:#   BD:

NEPENT #1:   3/7
ID:# 131927   MOB: 5 - 1
MISS

NEPENT #2:   7/7
ID:#131928   MOB:7-1
HIT

NEPENT #3:  7/7
ID:#   MOB:

NEPENT #4:  7/7
ID:#   MOB:

NEPENT STATS
HP: 7
Mitigation: 0
Damage: 3

Edited by Ceres

As the compliments kept coming, it was all NIGHT could do to avert her gaze, maybe tune out the praise a little... Why was she like this? Ceres and herself, both of them socially inept, one clueless in her advancements, and the other a complete useless lesbian. The woman did her best to keep her cool, but then forgot to breathe after Ceres pointed out her anxiety.

Shoot--

"I-I'm okay! Really!" NIGHT rushed to clarify, taking in a large breath in the midst of her panicking. "It's-- It's not you, I-I'm sure-- I'm..."

A small moment of realization hit her, as she understood what she had to reveal about herself just to clear the air. She could feel her blood turn cold, after a long morning of being warm. The player steeled herself in a pause, trying to gather the courage to say it. "I-I'm just...--"

The crackle of the forest broke up her cool and Ceres' musing, as Nepents came rushing forward onto the path ahead of them, wriggling their horrid, horrid vines. NIGHT's face turned stiff once again, her head still clouded. With her hands still trembling from the panic from earlier, she quickly released them from her companion's grip, wanting to hide her state of mind, but more importantly to prepare to defend herself.

Why did they have lips? They were upside down? The sudden shift in topic was a bit much for the woman to handle all at once, that she could only suppress her fears and find familiarity in her sword's hilt instead, gripping the metal tightly with her fingers.

Put the trust in your blade, NIGHT, it's easy enough to do...

Before she was able to pull out her sword, though, she noticed Ceres had a dagger drawn, ready to defend herself. It did nothing to assuage her worries, truthfully speaking; in fact, the adventurer felt her flight instincts kicking in hard big time. They amplified further, when her hands lost touch of her weapon, being pushed aside by her team mate to the ground, to safety when a Nepent lashed out at where they were with a vine. The force was great -- the woman had probably put all her effort into protecting her, which NIGHT would've appreciated... had she not felt the butterflies in her stomach earlier.

Sure, Ceres was cute. And it felt like total bliss just being pinned down like this. Her vision blurred but for a moment, and she shot her companion a wry smile, trying to pull out her best 'I'm alright' look.

But when she felt the woman's arms tremble beside her, from what sounded like a whip, adrenaline for the fight rushed through her body once more. She brought herself to push her own body up from the ground, as Ceres rolled off her, blade still in her hand. That was when NIGHT figured it was time for her to tackle the other enemies instead, if not send all of them back to their maker.

If it wasn't to hold onto her promise earlier... it should at least make up for her deafening silence in the current moment, or her awkwardness for whole time Ceres had interacted with her.

As the Nepents lashed out at her position with their leafed vines, she weaved and dodged past them, even leaping over one that had idly been sitting by, almost intentionally set there trying to trip the player up. She pulled out her blade, the sword pushing up dirt from the brandish, and with two sweeping strokes, she formed a cross of light, sending it forward to sunder the nepents.

It was as though she was cutting through paper, with the way they began to fall. The one Ceres had intended to maim seemed to take the brunt of the damage, followed by the one that, by her guess, struck at the woman? Her grip faltered as she forgot her own strength, holding her own breath when she watched as their health diminished. One by one they faded into a scatter of particles.

If anything, she was just happy to see the newbie come out of this only barely scathed. NIGHT took a deep breath, shakily returning her sword to its sheathe, trying to steady her physical form before waving over to Ceres. "You alright over there? S-sorry about that..."

@Ceres

ID: 131933 | BD: 10
<<Blast>> vs Nepent #1.
11 + 2 = 13 DMG | 13 * 2 = 26 DMG
Nepent #1 has been defeated!

ID: 131934 | BD: 9
<<Blast>> vs Nepent #2.
11 + 1 = 12 DMG | 12 * 2 = 24 DMG
Nepent #2 has been defeated!

ID: 131935 | BD: 7
<<Blast>> vs Nepent #3.
11 * 2 = 22 DMG
Nepent #3 has been defeated!

ID: 131936 | BD: 7
<<Blast>> vs Nepent #4.
11 * 2 = 22 DMG
Nepent #4 has been defeated!

Nepent #1 | HP: -23/7 (-26) | DMG: 3
Nepent #2 | HP: -17/7 (-24) | DMG: 3
Nepent #3 | HP: -15/7 (-22) | DMG: 3
Nepent #4 | HP: -15/7 (-22) | DMG: 3

NIGHT | HP: 440/440 | EN: 34/44 (-10) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 11 | EVA: 3

Edited by NIGHT

Ceres acted without thinking - she didn't think that it might have hurt or insulted NIGHT - being pushed to the ground. She didn't think about what other kinds of attacks the Nepents would have when she got close - she didn't think about the sheer level in difference the two had. NIGHT did say she could carry her own, and that this quest would have been easy - that Ceres could rely on her...but watching NIGHT battle - it was something different

The other Nepents tried to lash out at her - but NIGHT easily dodged them, pivoting on the back of her heel - sliding under another - then throwing herself in the air to avoid the final one. It reminded Ceres of...figure skating, or gymnastics - but instead of ribbons and ice it was vines, dirt, and creepy cackling Nepents.

All Ceres could do was stand there, stupefied as she watched. NIGHT was graceful, and held herself with the poise and confidence of an experienced fighter. It made Ceres feel kind of....silly for being here in the first place. Why did NIGHT ask her to come along in the first place when she didn't need any of the help? Was it really just to help Ceres? The redhead assumed that maybe NIGHT wanted some sort of aid or company.

But...

What use was Ceres in this situation?

With a flash of strokes that formed a cross - the entire set of Nepents had been decimated. All that remained was dirt rising from the floor, and a panting NIGHT standing where they once were.

Hold up.

HOLD UP

"Hold up!" Ceres cried out as NIGHT called back, completely unharmed. "You just...completely....all of them at once?"  Ceres thought they'd be in for a long battle against these creatures - followed by another long battle with the Varient - the boss that was supposed to spawn soon after.  But this? The shaky way NIGHT placed the blade back into her sheath did not go unnoticed, nor did the tone of voice, and the stutter.  Was it adrenaline?

Ceres quickly broached the gap between them, "That was insane! What was that? A sword art." She began as she reached out and started to brush the dirt off the other woman. "I really feel useless now - I guess all we can do is hope the big one is taken down that easily but..." Ceres paused as she gave NIGHT a concerned look.

"Are you ok? You're shaking like a leaf."

@NIGHT

A pained, sheepish smile was all she could flash back at Ceres, after taking in her reaction when she culled the lot of nepents. She certainly wasn't expecting this type of response in light of taking out the enemies, and it only served to push her a bit further into her shell anyway. As the woman stepped forward, beginning to brush off the dirt from NIGHT's armor (she really did swoon there, preferring to keep clean), she covered her mouth, barely managing to keep still and hide her smiles. "You're not useless. Promise."

"And yes, it... was a sword art," she added, retreating a little, when Ceres caught onto how nervous she was. It was difficult to keep her composure -- she knew that by now! And yet, it was all the more difficult to admit after the woman had been so nice to her. "I-I'm okay," was all she managed to say, before she took in a deep breath, counted the seconds, and then exhaled. "Um, how should I put this..."

"It's really better to tell you now than never... Um..." NIGHT found herself holding her forehead in her hand, lost trying to find a response. "Don't take this offensively...? A-Ah..."

If Ceres could even hear her, she was certain the woman would be extremely curious, let alone confused. With another chilling breath, she sighed. There was no easy way of getting out of this situation, was there? Bracing herself once more, she lifted her head up to meet her companion's gaze once more--

-- No, that was too much; diverting her sights, she forced herself to mutter out the words, "I'm-- just gay."

Silence from her, as she waited to gauge the woman's response. Then NIGHT found it in herself to continue, as though a restraint had been lifted off of her thoughts. "--A-and you're being incredibly forward--! W-which would be absolutely fine in every other scenario, I'm sure, I'm not saying that it isn't, haha-- A-and it's just a me thing-- N-not you!" Now she was swinging her hands, palms open, trying to be as honest as possible. "Y-You're-- doing great! I'm absolutely sure! I really mean it! Ha-H-haha!"

"A-and-- um-- I. I-didn't think this would be a problem-- r-really! A-and... Ah..."

The woman found it necessary, within herself, to bow her head, trying to hold herself together as her eyes were cast to the ground.

"--I'm s-sorry. I-if you feel uncomfortable... about it."

it's really not your fault. p-promise..

@Ceres

NIGHT | HP: 440/440 | EN: 35/44 (+1) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 11 | EVA: 3

Edited by NIGHT

Ceres blinked, as usual, completely oblivious as to what her own actions were doing to others around her. "Did you want to abandon the quest and rest?" She asked- as much as Ceres didn't like leaving things half finished - if the heavy hitter in the party was having issues then it wouldn't be right to push her past what she was comfortable with, and if Ceres were being honest -NIGHT looked very uncomfortable. "Well, hey - at least I'm good for getting rid of a little dirt then, eh?" Ceres offered to try and cheer up NIGHT.

It was then, that the other woman tried to calm herself down with some deep breaths - Ceres could relate, she often did the same thing when she felt frustrated, anxious, or nervous. So Ceres took a half step back and patiently waited, lilac eyes staring at NIGHT as she rubbed her hand against her forehead. NIGHT started talking, mumbling at first - and it was difficult to hear - so Ceres had to step in close again - What would she say that I would take offense to?  Ceres was confused, and it showed on her face. Her brows knitted together and her lips pursed. Finally - NIGHT said what she had been trying to say.

"Huh? Gay? That's it?" Ceres asked incredulously. There was a brief moment of silence before Ceres realized how that may have sounded. "I mean - it's not a big deal. Err...." She glanced away. She really didn't know how to talk to others, did she? "It's not a big deal to me, I mean. I personally never really saw gender as an issue. It doesn't matter what someone identifies themselves as - If I like them. I like them because they make me smile, or feel warmth in my chest."  Ceres hoped that answer helped because it was probably the best one she could give NIGHT. "You being gay doesn't change anything." Ceres added as she reached out to give NIGHT a reassuring squeeze on her shoulder.

It was then - NIGHT blurted out that Ceres had been incredibly forward. "Wait...what?" Ceres looked dumbfounded. She had? When? Her eyes shifted from NIGHT to her hand then back to NIGHT, then back to her hand...that was resting on her shoulder. "Oh....OH..." Ceres pulled away. "I didn't realize."

a deep hue of pink began to heat up Ceres' cheeks. She didn't think she had been flirting, hell - she had only just met the other woman. "I'm sorry I didn't - when did I....uhmmm...." She tried to think of any time where it may have seemed like she was flirting with the other woman but Ceres was oblivious, and the only thing that came to mind - was calling their trip to the 17th floor a date.

NIGHT seemed to be struggling though, Ceres had never really had an issue with being 'out' because she had only ever dated the one person - and that was in her young teenage years and lasted all of a week. Anything beyond that had been flings. But she knew the struggles that people faced with it, the prejudice, the hate, and the bullying. 

"Hey..." Ceres began, her voice calm. "It's ok. Really." Ceres reached out again, a little more tentative this time - because now she was aware of her actions and didn't want to hurt NIGHT or lead her on, and placed a hand on either one of her shoulders. "Just close your eyes and take a few more deep breaths. There's no need to lower your head like that."

Ceres waited then, when she felt NIGHT had enough time to calm herself down she spoke softly. "Don't apologize when it comes to matters of the heart. I'm sorry if I lead you on - I'm not good with social interaction - and we have just met - but you're a pretty woman, and I'd be ok if we got to know each other a little better. But I want to let you know that I will make mistakes - and if I say or do things that are forward - then please tell me because I won't understand otherwise. Is that ok?"

NIGHT wouldn't have time to answer;

KekEKKEK KKEkkekek KEKEKKEkekek Kke kKEkeKEKEkeke

The sudden sound jolted Ceres. A Nepent - bigger than the last burst through the trees. This one had a slight variation - a single red flower bloomed on its head. It must have been the boss one that spawned. Ceres expected it to come sooner. It was probably a good thing that it hadn't - it gave NIGHT time to calm down.

The creature scuttled toward the two players as it continued its maddened laugh.

way to ruin a moment for someone

Ceres thought - she grabbed her dagger - forgetting that there was someone there that could probably completely decimate it and charged at the creature. But her attack failed - The Nepent instead wrapped its tail around Ceres and pulled her high off the ground. "W-whaaaat?" Ceres cried out as she was hung upside down. Thankful she was wearing loose pants rather than a dress or skirt. "PUT ME DOWN YOU ASSHAT!"

Instead of putting her down, the Nepent Varient began to shake Ceres wildly to and fro.

@NIGHT

CERES 178/180

ID:#131949   BD:  1
CRITICAL FAIL
MISS

NEPENT VARIANT 15/15
ID:# 131948   MOB: 5 - 1
MISS

Nepent Variant is a Quest Boss and has the following statistics:

HP: 15
Mitigation: 5
Damage: 10
Nepent Variant ignores armor mitigation on a natural roll of 10
LD of 12 or higher for <Nepents Ovule>

Edited by Ceres

The player watched as her acquaintance catch herself in her forward actions, thinking hard and trying to recall where she'd messed up at, and had her attraction been suppressed, she would've found it hilarious. The jumping between links quickly turned into genuine care, as NIGHT lowered her head, and Ceres responded with a soft, sweet voice.

Ceres was nice.

Incredibly so. Patient, kind and understanding, and perhaps if it was anyone else she had told this to, she would've faced some amount of backlash from her companion. NIGHT sunk deep into relief when realized this. With her hands, she tried patting her cheeks down, in an attempt to soothe the warmth from them, before she could look up again. When that time came, she lifted her gaze at her companion's requests, and finally -- finally managed to meet the woman's eyes with her own.

She knew Ceres didn't mean any harm, or had any intention of leading her thoughts astray. NIGHT quickly understood and registered, that every action from before was a result of a cruel amount of obliviousness. People had their quirks, and NIGHT was resolute in wanting to accept them, especially for who they were, if it didn't hurt anybody.

The adventurer nodded back to her friend, wearing a small, genuine smile, and with the gentlest of voices, she returned a heartfelt "Thank you."

Yeah, well, the forest had other plans? Some rude plant in the god forsaken distance was chattering away like a loud, rude maniac, pulling the two away from their heart-to-heart conversation. NIGHT's face still stayed a smile, immersing herself in the joy of being accepted, right up until the blooming variant creature showed up, knocking down everyone's expectations for the events up ahead. Her smile drooped to a deadpanned frown, half sulking in its nature.

As it continued to cackle further, Ceres pulled out her dagger -- oh right NIGHT forgot she had that -- and rushed headfirst into the creature. Expecting the blow to land, the woman hung back, pulling out her blade much more carefully this time, awaiting the results of her strike.

Things did not go as planned. Her attack had failed, leaving no traces of damage on the enemy itself. As its tail wrapped around Ceres, it brought her high into the air, waving the player around rhythmically, enjoying its incredibly disgusting dance.

"PUT ME DOWN YOU ASSHAT!"

Okay! Time for her to step in. NIGHT had hoped to finish off the variant with a single sword art, just like with the pack from before, but even with a prepared blow, the variant's dances were a little to chaotic to even tell what she would be striking at. While she winded up a hit with her blade, her sword hit nothing but air, leaving Ceres still waving in the air, and NIGHT herself feeling incredibly sheepish, and frankly dissatisfied with the turn of events.

Careful not to step or trip on any of the other waving vines, she continued to dance around the nepent in hops, calling out to her friend. "S-sorry! Gimmie a moment..."

@Ceres

ID: 131953 | BD: 5 (2, +3)
NIGHT missed! 

Nepent Variant | HP: 15 | DMG: 10 | MIT: 5

NIGHT | HP: 440/440 | EN: 34/44 (+1, -2) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 11 | EVA: 3

Edited by NIGHT
# i really didnt want to go on the ironic route of using straight on the nepent, but guess where we are now, folks!

Ceres was still being swing wildly around, the world passed her by in dizzying varying colours and motions - she cold barely make sense of what was what? Had NIGHT attacked? DId she miss? Is that why she was apologizing? Ceres wanted to tell her that it was fine - that she wasn't hurt. It was dizzying...and nauseating...but overall Ceres was fine.

The Nepent Variant cackled loudly as it stopped swinging her. Ceres drew in a sharp breath - why... had it stopped?

BAM

The world came crushing down on her hard and fast, her entire body jolted with the mild static zap that was meant to symbolize pain within Aincrad. Ceres coughed and wheezed as the air was forcably removed from her body. The Nepent Variant lifted her again, and in fear of being slammed into the ground a second time Ceres began to clamber up her own body - and only just managed to slice at its strange vine-like tail. The Nepent Variant gave a screech as it let her go.

....Ceres did not fall gracefully. She landed in a lump on the floor. "Urghh...." Shaken arms tried to push her body back up but the world still span around her.

"D....Dizzy....NIGHT? W-where you?"

@NIGHT

CERES 174/180

ID:#131955   BD: 6+ 1
HIT

NEPENT VARIANT 14/15
ID:# 131954   MOB: 8 - 1
HIT

Nepent Variant is a Quest Boss and has the following statistics:

HP: 15
Mitigation: 5
Damage: 10
Nepent Variant ignores armor mitigation on a natural roll of 10
LD of 12 or higher for <Nepents Ovule>

Edited by Ceres

The fall was sudden -- as NIGHT continued running circles around the nepent, she finally saw Ceres drop to the floor, a bright red blur in the scenery of greens. She could hear the woman's groans even from far away-- and it sounded like she was in more pain than even NIGHT herself had ever felt.

Taking another shot at dismantling the creature with her blade, she placed her faith in the system, careful to arc her blade in the oddest way possible for this movement in particular to begin. A bright light was her only signal -- but it was enough. In an instant, her blade cleaved through the plant's form, tearing down the various vines that waved about distractively, the final blow plunging the sword through the nepent's center, shattering it for good.

A distinct shriek and the bone-chilling chattering of teeth was its death call, and NIGHT dropped all combat pretense with the sheathe of her greatsword, rushing over to Ceres' side. "Hey! Hey--"

"-- That was a nasty fall," she commented, kneeling down by the woman's side. Now it was her turn to be forward, but for good reason, with the woman struggling to get up. NIGHT hooked Ceres' arm over her shoulder, across her back, doing her best to aid her in standing once more. As best as she could manage, she replied, trying to reassure her friend. "I-I'm here. You doing okay? No... bruises? Cuts? ... Injuries?"

@Ceres

ID: 131956 | BD: 9
<<Scooped>> vs Nepent Variant.
11 + 1 = 12 DMG | 12 * 3 = 36 DMG
Nepent Variant has been defeated!

Nepent Variant | HP: -21/15 (-36) | DMG: 10

NIGHT | HP: 440/440 | EN: 32/44 (+1, -3) | ACC: 3 | DMG: 11 | EVA: 3

Loot:
ID: 131957 | LD: 19
<Nepent Ovule's> obtained.

Edited by NIGHT

NIGHT came up to Ceres, concern lacing her voice - Ceres leaned into the girl to help her to her feet. "I'm just a little dizzy...I couldn't see where you where."

She was showing such concern toward Ceres - and Ceres admired that, she really was fine, if not just a little shaken up. Literally.

"Can you even get those in this game?" Came Ceres' response as she fell back to a seated position among the leaves that littered the forest floor, choosing to lean against a tree trunk. Ceres patted the earth beside her - offering NIGHT to join her.  "It's not a joke." Cers admitted as she turned her lilac gaze away. "I really have no clue - I know pain is just a mild zip-zap-zoop  which is more annoying than painful, but I haven't really been involved in many battles." She offered NIGHT a reassuring smile. "The worse I've experienced is having a Boar Pup bite my arm and envelop it in slimey slobber - you know the kind that's almsot chunky?"  The woman visably shivered at the recollection. It was not something she wanted to dwell on.

"What about you?" The redhead asked - I didn't get to see your fancy footwork this time - just the bright flash of light. The way you fought reminds me of a figure skater -all those leaps an bounds. Figure skaters tend to have the blades on their feet though - not ih their hands...ah..." Ceres shook her head. Realizing she was getting off topic. "I'm fine. Are you?"

"A friend I know got a broken foot once. It healed rather quickly," NIGHT said, "But she still had to hobble for quite a while." She brushed her hair out of her face as Ceres took a seat on the earth. Deciding to join her, the adventurer crossed her legs over where her conversationalist patted down the floor, convincing herself that the dirt wasn't such a big deal as she made it out to be.

NIGHT nodded, listening in to Ceres' discussion, about pain -- and slobber. Yuck! Her face contorted into a look of disgust when she heard it. "Sorry to hear that it happened to you -- that's.. actually why I'm fully covered most of the time." The woman pointed out to her gloves and sleeves. "With the amount of enemies I'm bound to face outside, I really, really don't want to have boar slobber on me... Or any other kind of nasty gunk the world has to offer."

"But uh, yeah, I'm fine." she hesitated, trying to come up with a response, from battles to figure skating. Where to start...?

"I'm used to the pain, I think." NIGHT closed her eyes, in thought. "When I started out, I had mitigation on my armor pieces to try and stop the shock. It worked... somewhat, then the enemies I faced just got tougher." Her fingers overlapped each other as she put her hands together, fidgeting. "I still fall back on the idea, somewhat. But nowadays I try to keep light on my feet. Oh-- there's a really nice tailor by my workshop..."

She pointed with a finger, down to her threads. "They made these shoes for me. Helps me dodge attacks from enemies, if I can help it." NIGHT grinned back at Ceres, still thinking about the figure skating comment. "Maybe that's why I'm so fast? Uh-- the other component might be that... I used to play netball," she continued, placing a hand to her cheek. "But that was years ago... I don't know if it still counts to help me out in battle."

The player sat in thought for a moment, looking up at the leaves from the trees. Then she turned over to her friend to ask, "Out of curiosity, do you have anything planned after this? I'm assuming you'd be back looking for quests to complete again, when this one's over. I can help out, if you want." NIGHT returned a confident smile. "Especially if they involve dealing with combat of some sort. It's what I've been training to do."

@Ceres

"Broken foot? Aargh..." Ceres instinctively pulled her foot into her lap and rubbed her ankle. "I'd hate that."

Ceres shifted slightly, crossing both her legs now that NIGHT was sitting next to her, unbeknowst to Ceres - her knee was slightly touching NIGHT's leg. Ceres, lost in her own world had been too focused looking at NIGHT's armoured body. Come to think of it, there wasn't much skin showing. "Most the times I don't mind." Ceres said as she held out her own bare arms. "I like the sensations I feel in this game - the warmth - the grass...even the loamy dirt sometimes." Ceres laughed softly. "Of course, I'd rather avoid any forms of slobber, slime, or muck."

"Netball huh?" Ceres mused. "I was never really a sporty person. Give me a good book, a warm drink, and surround myself with thirty cats and I'm happy." Ceres snorted. "Gosh. I actually sound like a crazy cat lady when I say that, actually..." Her voice softened. "I miss that..." She shut her eyes, and after a few moments realized that NIGHT would need some sort of clarification. "I used to foster sick cats and kittens. I work from home - so I was able to look after them between business trips." Ceres grinned. "Saving their tiny little lives, it was really...heartwarming, but at the same time, so heartbreaking. Because you pour so much of your love into something, only for it to leave you."

Ceres shook her head. It didn't matter now - thankfully she had been overseas, and returned not long after with the Nerve Gear - so hadn't been fostering anything when she logged on. IF she had Ceres probably would have been walking around with far more guilt.

"Do you have anything planned after this?"

Ceres turned her gaze back to NIGHT - somehow, she hadn't heard the rest of the words the other woman said. "Not really...I was thinking of just eating something. Maybe picking up some more quests tomorrow...oh - but I should probably get some armour at some point...and a better blade. I don't want to use a dagger - I think I'd prefer a sword...so I should probably do that...why do you ask?"

Ceres pursed her lips as she thought about the reasons as to why. Did NIGHT want to help her more, or did she need help with one of her own quests? Maybe she wanted to talk to Ceres more about the information broker thing - they never really did finish that conversation. "Did you want to join me?" Ceres asked - again, oblivious to the tone and invitation of that question. To Ceres, it was a simple question of 'sure let's hang out again.'

"Does that mean the Nepent dropped the Ovule? I didn't think to ask. I guess I was more worried about you."

@NIGHT