[PP-F22] Ghosts of the Past...

"I don't think that's really a bad thing. You clearly needed it." Mari said as she pushed herself up and off the grass, sliding slightly on the wet surface. A small frown played her lips when she realized her clothes would probably have grass stains on them for a few days. Oh well. Not that she'd really see anyone, and if she did - it wouldn't matter. "I'm sure you'll fall asleep the moment you head hits a pillow." Mar said as she rubbed her shoulder, twisting her arm to work the kinks out of it.

It was then Hikoru asked where she'd be staying. Mari lowered her arm and took a few moments to think about it; "Probably on the forest floor by my daughters grave, or on the floor of my shop. Ah. There's this nice cave actually not too far from here. I scoured it out before coming to the fields." She turned to the direction of the cave, and pointed. "It's probably about a 20 minute hike that way. But I could probably do with the walk." 

She turned her doe-eyed gaze back to HIkoru. "Even if I could safely walk around town, I wouldn't. I couldn't do that to all those players who would hate seeing a murderer walk amongst them. Imagine the unrest that would cause." Mari shrugged. She knew she wasn't welcomed in towns. Maybe one day...she'd be able to return to them.

"It's fine really." Mari started. "I mean, when I find people willing to help me with redemption - I'll eventually get rid of this cursor. But for now, I just find places where I can." She gave him a wry smile. "I suppose  that makes me some sort of nomad, haha."

So, this was probably the point where they'd part ways, right? Mari kicked the ground awkwardly. She was a damn adult, this shouldn't be hard. A part of her considered asking him for a friend request, but all that really happened between them was him holding a knife to her throat, then falling asleep in her lap. Not exactly 'friend worthy' was it? Mari didn't do anything. "Well. See ya." Mari said with a small wave as she turned to walk away.

@Hikoru

Hikoru listened to what Mari said quietly, and held his tongue until she was done speaking. He had been in her shoes. Not as bad no, but he had been in that mindset that no one wanted to see them in public, that they needed to hide themselves away in places where they were out of sight. It was because of the feelings of regret, depression, and most importantly, shame. He shook his head, and she turned to leave, and he gently grabbed her shoulder, stopping her from going anywhere.

"The least I can do is offer you a good nights rest, for what you did for me." he spoke. He looked her in the eyes with a soft smile. "You can rest at my place for the evening, and i'm not taking no for an answer. Caves are nice and they are secluded, but nothing beats the warm sheets of a bed for resting, and I think you need it as much as I did." He said, and his eyes spoke of pure wanting to just... help, nothing more. She had helped him far more than anyone had in awhile, just by letting him rest within her protection. "Now, sneaking you in will be very easy for me, You will just need a cloak. Do you have one?"

Mari jumped when she felt a warm hand on her shoulder; she wasn't expecting the sudden warmth or for him to want to interact with her anymore. She figured he got what he needed, and that'd be that. She wouldn't hold any resentment toward him for it. She just figured, yanno- why would anyone want to bother to continue to talk to her? His fingers gripped her tighter as he pulled her back to face him. Mari turned on her foot, lifting her chin up to look at him.

"A good nights rest?" Mari repeated as a question. What was he implying? He was many years younger than her - right? At least that was the impression she got. She opened her mouth to shoot him down but he continued, and she quickly realized that was not what he meant. She grit her teeth in mild embarrassment. Hoping her cheeks didn't betray her. "I do, but its white." She said, not knowing what else to say. "Did you hear what I just said about the whole town thing? I don't want to risk my life...nor do I want to upset anyone who may...." She pointed up at the crystal. "See that. I appreciate the offer, but...I unno, the sneak skill isn't really infallible."

Mari cleared her throat. "I barely got out when someone else tried to tear through a town, forcing me to follow them as they used the disguise skill." She said with a shake of her head, recalling the incident with Bahr.

It...would have been nice to sleep in a bed, but Mari couldn't have that comfort right now.

@Hikoru

Hikoru shook his head as she tried to come up with excuses. He took his cloak and draped it over her. The Dark blue made it easy to blend into things, as a dark, dark black robe was actually easier to spot. If she fought, he would eventually win as he would be stubborn to keep attempting. And he shook his head. "See, I have a thing that I can guarantee you others don't have." He spoke with a small chuckle. "I have what you call... a good luck charm, when it comes to stealth." He spoke, not wanting to hint at his Unique Skill too much. "It helps me to not be seen. So, I can focus on helping you. Besides, i'm right on the edge of town. It's not like i'm dead center. I like my seclusion." He said, thinking of his home fondly.

"And if you keep fighting me, I will throw you over my shoulder." he spoke with a laugh. "And no offense, but I would much rather walk through a town than be carried." he said, and he saw the look in her eye, and made eye contact. "There are barely any players on Floor 21. Most are on lower, staying safe. Nobody in town will recognize you unless it's an NPC looking for help with a quest." He spoke reassuringly. "Now, come on."

Mari took the cloak and draped it over herself, it covered her small frame easily. The lower half of it trailing in the wet grass. If anything she welcomed something that was warm and dry against her cold and dewy skin. Accepting it didn't mean she was accepting going into town. She'd argue with him till she was black and blue. "Sorry Hik, I don't place my life into good luck trinkets. You could have a dozen rabbits feet and twenty horseshoes hidden on your form, I don't see how that'd help us."  SHe pulled the hood over her face as she averted his gaze. She didn't understand it. Why was he trying to be so nice?

"It sounds....lovely- it really does. But it wouldn't do you any good to bring me there." Mari mumbled. "It's not just the players I'm worried about, its the town guard too. I don't know their stats, but this is the 21st floor so I imagine a few strikes from them and I'd be down - and I doubt they'd be the kind of NPC to not gang up on a yanno, murderer." Mari placed emphasis on the last word, in an attempt to dissuade him.

@Hikoru

• 1 month later...

Hikoru shook his head, and decided to pull out his calling card. He opened his stats and found the skill he was looking for, making sure it held the information that he needed to show, and turned it around for Mari to see. "I don't mean an actual charm or trinket, I mean a skill." He spoke, and showed her the stats of his Unique Skill. "I can get you in easily, and there are enough outer tunnels that we can easily get you around. and if you are caught, I can easily get you out and hold back the guards long enough for you to get out of there. And, my house is on the outskirts of town, and not a lot of NPC's go near because of my homes... appearance." He said with a slight chuckle. "I promise you, you can trust me." He said with a smile, and held out his hand for her to take.

"Besides, I know you will want some of the coffee I make, My familiar is great with the creamer he makes, albeit all it can be is Pumpkin spice, it's still a decent flavor." He said with a small chuckle. He waited quietly to hear her response and the wind blew his hair to the right, giving a wind swept look with his gleaming smile.

Mari blinked when Hikoru gestured for her to come look at his HUD. "Eh?"  Her eyes landed on the strange skill <<Shadowed Path>>  Whoa  that seemed...insanely useful. She almost wished she had something like that, but it wasn't like it was readily available. Right? She hadn't seen something like that before. She vaguely recalled something like them being mentioned before, hidden skills? Rare skills? Whatever they were called...Mari never had a real interest in them. "Well...I guess I see why you're a dagger user now with something like-"

Wait...

wait a minute. Did he just say his familiar made pumpkin spice cream?

Mari took a step back. "Wait, wait...hang on...wait - hang on..." She pressed her hands to her temples. It seemed that the Unique Skill took second place in the priority of information she was trying to process right now.  "You're telling me. You have a familiar - that can uhm - make ...pumpkin spice cream? Seriously?"

This kid was really fully of surprises. Mari sighed as she ran a hand through her fringe. "That's... a lot to process. Really... damn this game - I should really get a ...hang on.." Mari took a few breaths and sighed.

"You know...you're asking a lot of me when you say trust me." Mari said. She really wasn't sure if she could trust him. The ginger haired woman gave him a wry smile. "Especially since you were the one who held a dagger to my throat a few hours ago." She added in jest. "Still...I don't really have much going for me anyway. SO show me this strange familiar of yours." Mari said as he took his hand.

At least if she died, no one would mourn her death.

@Hikoru

Edited by Mari
  • 6 months later...

Hikoru listened quietly as Mari seemed to lose her mind over the thought of pumpkin spice. Obviously, he had forgotten how hard it was to get flavors inside the game, due to him using it so often that it became a luxury. Having an event familiar had it's own perks. He just chuckled a bit as she asked to catch her breath. He held up a hand silently and shook his head, telling her not to worry about it. She said it was asking a lot for him to trust her, and then jested about how he had almost killed her not long ago. He just held a small smirk softly, finding it humorous

"Yeah, that would make sense. But I promise you no ill intent. I can't even kill you if I wanted to. The young gentlemen in my house wouldn't allow me. Kid's got a good head on his shoulders, and I'm trying to push him to the frontlines so I can retire, but he will do no such things right now." He said with a small chuckle. "But, I hope to get him there. He's strong, more of a bruiser build but trying to change to stealth. I told him no but he insisted. Afraid he'll learn the hard way." He spoke. then motioned towards a direction. "Come, let's get out of here before it get's too late in the evening."

"I can't even kill you if I wanted to-"

Hikoru had said, but Mari? She doubted she'd stop him if he did try. Not that Mari thought he would, one normally, normally didn't kill someone who had sung them to sleep. Seeing him laugh like that, a soft and light hearted chuckle made Mari feel better about his predicament. Mari followed Hikoru in the direction he had motioned and they began to walk - Mari wasn't entirely sure when his 'skill' would kick in, or if she had to be close to him or not for it to work on her. So when they walked she made sure to keep close to him, enough so that when they walked her hand would constantly brush up against his.

"So... a kid?" Mari asked Hikoru, "Like...a kid Kid or-" Hikoru seemed quite young himself, so it surprised Mari to hear that he had someone staying in his home. "That... sounds nice though." She said quietly. "I'm sure it never really gets boring, or lonely there with others around, huh?"

@Hikoru

• 4 months later...

Hikoru walked quietly along the pathway towards his home, he took the one laden with dew and water dripping from the rocks. Even though his cloak no longer had a enchantment on it, it still shimmered and glowed next to water, giving it a weird look that made it harder to see. It hid Mari easily, and it made sneaking through the down into the outskirts easily. They appeared at his giant, skull-looking door and he smiled a bit awkwardly.

"Excuse the outer-decor. It's uh... I had a weird sense of style awhile ago when I bought it. It keeps out unwanted visitors however, so I take the positives from it." He pressed a hidden button and the skull-stone rolled out of the way, showing a hidden door beneath it. He opened it and the smell of coffee and a warm fire filled the small cavern they were in. He motioned for her to enter, and once she did he entered and closed the door, the skull stone rolling back into place. He motioned towards a button next to the door. "In case you feel in danger, this button moves the stone." He said, then took the cloak off her shoulders and hung it onto a nearby coat hanger, his small familiar peeking from the kitchen and coming to him. Hikoru learned down and pat the Pumpking on his head with a smile. "Hello, can I get some coffee please?" The familiar took a few moments to process the words, and he went back to the kitchen. Hikoru sat down on his sofa and motioned towards the few couches and chairs he had strewn about the dimly-lit home. "Make yourself at home, coffee will be ready shortly."

• 2 weeks later...

Mari quietly followed under the cloak, there wasn't really anything more to say between them - and she was  a little thankful for that. it was...awkward being this close to others. Despite the fact she had willingly let him fall asleep in his lap, and cry against her - this somehow felt oddly different. Mari took it in a silent stride, refusing to voice anything she felt. The discomfort primarily stemmed from her entering a safe zone. Whilst it was technically possible for PKers to enter safe zones; they'd be chased by guards.

Not to mention the fear that other players would have seeing an orange cursor in their haven.... Mari didn't want that for anyone. 

She broke the silence with some lighthearted banter. "That must be a heck of a neat shadow skill thing you have, being able to traffic a criminal in and out of town so easily. You could start some sorta underground - ahem - above ground railroad with that."  She could see why he was so reluctant to tell her about the skill. Others would probably want to get their hands on it, and whilst Mari did think it were useful, she also felt it would be too much trouble to have. 

Mari snorted as he excused the decor of his house. "Whatever you say, Skeletor."

Mari was hit with the pleasant smell of coffee when she entered the threshold of his house, and her arms prickled with the sudden warmth. The two had been caught out in the rain - and it wasn't till now that she realized just how cold she was. Mari began to rub her arms as she looked around the room. "You uh...weren't kiddin' about that pumpkin familiar thing, huh?"  Mari stood between the door and the comforting looking chairs. Unsure if she should really sit or not. 

Make yourself at home

....Like she deserved such a thing.
@Hikoru

• 5 weeks later...

Hikoru walked quietly, smiling at the comment she gave him. "While yes that's a grand idea, the skill only works within a short radius. I can barely fit a single person within the field, but you're..." he cleared his throat "small, enough... to fit the radius easily." He spoke, trying to not be impolite. He continued to walk and as he ushered her in, he chuckled at her comment as him being related to Skeletor. He knew the character and he had to admit, this would be something he would have.

"Very funny." He said as the door closed. The girl looked cold as he sat down, and he motioned for the chair closest to the fire. "You should warm up over there. It will be the nicest spot for you." He said as he opened his inventory, checking if there was anything amiss, as he usually did whenever he came home. He never knew what would happen in his time away. The whole system could change and he wouldn't know about it. He heard the familiar clink of plates as Sir Rolland came out with the platter. He came over to Hikoru first. Bringing the coffee close as his owner took one with a smile, grabbing only a small amount of creamer and sugar. He stirred it with a spoon and gave a pat to the small Pumpking. "Good job, now, go over to the miss over there and give her coffee." Sir Rolland nodded and came over to her, a coffee in his platter with coffee creamer, Pumpkin flavored, and sugar with a second clean spoon, awaiting for her to take it.

"Well, guess that's one time my stature will help me then, eh?" Mari added with an awkward laugh. As Hikoru motioned to the fire she shifted toward it, but still avoided the chair. Instead she stood in front of the flames - watching them quietly for a few moments. She felt...off, it wasn't HIkoru's fault. He was doing his absolute best to make her feel comfortable. But the problem was...she just didn't. Mari felt strange being in a house - no... a home. Such a thing felt like a luxury she didn't deserve. Fire, warmth...safety. Why should she get any of this when she had taken it from so many? 

"H-huh?" Mari turned to the small pumpkin creature, who held a platter in its vine-like hands. How odd...Mari snorted as she picked up the creamer and coffee, adding a large helping of the milk like substance to the coffee- but leaving the sugar. Mari wasn't a fan of overly sweet things, and the pumpkin spice along with the creamer was more than enough for her. "Thanks..." Mari said quietly as she nursed the cup in her hands, only then - choosing to sit on the chair closest to the crackling fire. 

Mari ran a thumb over the rim of the white mug, her blue eyes watching the mixture swirl. "Hey...I appreciate this but..." Mari took a deep breath. "I really shouldn't stay here tonight."

@Hikoru

Hikoru watched as she stood by the fire, staring into the flames. He could feel her uncertainty from here, even though this was a safe place. He had a hunch as to how she felt. When he had become an orange player, he lived in the caves of Floor 10 alone for a long time. He got used to to the cold, damp area he as in, and it was weird for him to be within a building. He remembered that feeling well, and wondered if she felt the same. She was a bit perplexed by the small pumpkin and she took the coffee happily.

Sir Rolland gave a small growl of happiness and he strode away, his vines tapping against the wooden floor. He came over to Hikoru and placed down the tray, his big eye meeting his masters. He smiled and opened his inventory, bringing out a large handful of candy and giving it to the small creature. Sir Rolland took it greedily and went to the other room, the sound of him munching on them being faintly heard

"He is a unique familiar, I'll give you that. I got him at a Halloween event, and all he eats is candy." He spoke, and his eyebrow shot up as she said she shouldn't stay the night. He crossed one of his legs over the other, leaning back with his cup of coffee. "If I may ask, why do you feel this way?" He spoke. Taking a small sip of coffee

Mari's lips turned down into a scrunched frown of disapproval when Hikoru said it only ate candy. "Urgh...that's way too sweet for my tastes." She mumbled. Still - she shook her head, snorting as her face returned to a more natural expression. "It is...interesting. Not sure how many people would feel drinking pumpkin flavored vomit from it though." As she said this she took the cup and took a large sip. Swallowing. Reiterrating the point that she was totally one of those people who very much would drink strange liquids from a creature. Hell, she drank from the river Styx. this was nothing compared to that.

"If I may ask, why do you feel this way?" 

Mari winced at his question, straight to the point - wasn't he? "I don't deserve it." Came her curt reply. Mari kept her eyes down on her cup, it was easier to look at an inanimate object than it was to meet questioning eyes from another. "I don't feel right being in a safe zone. It feels wrong. I don't want to bother people. My presence makes people uncomfortable. And I don't like the idea that I could be shanked by a guard at any minute. I get your house is...safe but it just doesn't feel that way to me."

Hikoru chuckled as her nose scrunched up at the thought of only eating candy "Oh I must agree, but his code is attached to Halloween, it only makes sense." He said, and he saw the look of worry on her face as she explained why she wasnt comfortable. He nodded in understanding.

"As I feared, I'll be honest." He said with a sigh. "You're dealing with the same emotions I felt bot that long ago." He stood and walked quietly, his boots silent against the floor. "When I got my orange cursor, i secluded myself to the Caves of Floor 10, a lot nastier than the ones found here." He spoke with a small chuckle. "I was ashamed of myself and what I did, and it took a lot for me to venture out and see things, or meet friends." He spoke quietly, his mind going back to those days. "And it took me a long time to get over those thoughts, some days they still come back and make me question if I deserve some place as nice as this."

"But, then I remember that everyone deserves to feel safe, no matter what they did. While i dont know what you did, I know what I did, and things I'm ashamed of. But still. I deserve to be happy, to enjoy things in this life within this game, even if I'm not a perfect person." He spoke, and locked eyes with her.

"And you deserve just as much as I do, if not more."

"Halloween was never a thing where I'm from. I remember being a kid and getting so frustrated at seeing all the cool Halloween episodes and stuff on TV; and it just...didn't exist." Mari shrugged off the small tidbit into her life before the game. Before everything. She could have continued, about how she'd always let her daughter dress up for Halloween - give a mix of candy and apples. Evelyn loved apples. Mari cleared her throat. No- No she couldn't go down that memory lane trip. It left a heavy feeling in the pit of her stomach and her head throbbed.

"You and I are different." Mari muttered, barely concealing the bitterness that dripped from her words. "Were you ever hunted?" Mari asked, gripping her mug tighter. "Did you ever deal with the brunt of an entire guild after your head? Abandoning a Boss battle simply because you were leading the meeting? Threatening to kill you on the next?" The words were like bile.Toxic vitterol that continued to spill out - "Did you have a close friend literally stab you in the back? Another lie to your face about their feelings? Did you have everyone at every chance abandon you?" 

He tried to lock eyes with her but Mari didn't have any of it.  "You think I deserve this, but I don't." 

@Hikoru

Hikoru listened quietly, Mari's bitterness evident from her words and posture. She explained how they were different, and he just waited. When she spat out her last words, saying they are not the same, he shook his head.

"You are right, I haven't been hunted. But, I have had my ex fiance kill my mentor over an item." He spoke "I remember how it drove me to the brink of madness, and I hunted and killed NPCs out of spite and anger. I remember almost killing a friend because she was close to her, and ruining the friendship we had because of my malice." He said, keeping eye contact. "I remember watching close friends and allies be killed in front of my eyes because I was too weak to do anything, and I took that anger and frustration out on others." He sighed. "And every time I've come close to a relationship since then, they leave me. My emotions have been a play thing to any woman I've met." A small tear came to his eye, and it slowly rolled down his cheek.

"So no, maybe we aren't the same in some ways, but that doesn't mean I havent had my suffering too. But, I still deserve to be happy, even with my mistakes and my burdens. And you do too, whether you trust the words of the Master of Shadows or not." He said, a slight smile on his lips as he tried to lighten the mood with a playful, but honestly really bad, joke.