[PP-2] <<Feeding the Enemy>> You're Never Alone

Ceres huffed as she puffed out her cheeks at the nickname. Oh how the tables had turned. This was his revenge for all the times she kept calling him puppy, wasn't it? "W-well...yes you are a puppy." Ceres said with a final huff. Turning away from him. "A big dopey puppy." She tapped the spyglass against her cheek as they walked side by side along the forest trail. He didn't answer her question about his sister, was it a sore subject...if it was why did he bring her up in the first place. Ceres was about to question him about it but NIGHT's warning reminded her not to be so...oblivious  to certain social cues.

"I work in the city." Ceres said. "I work from home in a two bedroom apartment - it's cheapish...and they let me have the cats, so I can't complain. Although trips to the forests or beaches are rare. I sometimes would take a trip to the beach and just walk along the shoreline with bare feet, I like the feeling of water..." Ceres laughed. "Maybe I should have tried to find a beach, I bet not many people would have a starfish familiar, right?"

@Ronnel

-4 Posts till Familiar search - Spyglass in effect-

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I lived in a studio apartment to be honest. Been a bit lost on what I wanted to do with myself, so I kept switching jobs. Nothing was really catching me, ya know?" It seemed they were talking about outside and he was alright with that. "Don't have any pets right now, thankfully - I also don't really have anyone I was hanging out with in terms of friends." Ronnel gave a rueful laugh. "At least not ones I'd really call that. Just acquaintances I knew until I moved on to the next job and the next place."

What? No friends? Isn’t that lonely?" The question was innocent enough - but it did make him ache inside. He rubbed the back of his head, ruffling dark hair. 

"It.. Was, yes. It's been a while since I really talked with people outside of work even before we got trapped in here. But, ah, it wasn't all bad. I got to see a bunch of different places, did a lot of traveling. Met interesting people." Even to himself, that sounded hollow. Ronnel coughed and studied the trees intently, unable to look at Ceres for the moment. 

"I don't feel lonely..." Ceres said. "Well..I didn't feel lonely. I had my friends that I went out and saw sometimes - but as a journalist, I didn't really leave the house much. When I did it was on business trips..." Ceres tugged on her hair as she talked. "So I  can relate a little. I guess I never felt lonely because I was always so wrapped up in what I was doing. And even though its my business to stay on social media trends, I never really kept up with my own. So I didn't have that whole 'Fear of Missing Out' thing. Because I didn't see what I was missing out on."

Ceres turned to Ronnel, "It's why when I first came here I kept to myself. I told myself there was no reason to befriend others. Why should I? We won't see each other outside this game. Many of the people I meet may die. But meeting people here...running my store..." Ceres faintly smiled. "It..made me realize how beautiful this place is. And the people in it."

She paused and placed a hand on the closest tree. "Like this. Look at the soft moss growing on the tree, and the tiny glowing mushrooms growing out the ground beneath it. We may be trapped here - but at least we have entire expanses to explore. I just...wish people would stop focusing on fighting...even just for a moment to see what is right in front of them."

@Ronnel

*2 posts till next familiar search*

"I.." Ronnel hummed as he watched Ceres lean her hand against the tree and then look at him. He chewed his lip for a moment, then gave a slight shrug. "It's something I was talking about with someone else I know." He kept quiet about Mari's name because he didn't know how the firecracker in front of him would react to the name of the pink PKer. "So many of them get wrapped up in trying to get the best numbers. They have to achieve more." He shrugged and ran his finger along the tree bark, circling around Ceres' hand for a moment before retracting his arm. 

"I think it's a lack of choice, you know? I bet there are people who would have been absolutely thrilled to come live in this world if given the chance. But no one here got that choice - we were just shoved into it." Ronnel hummed and stepped around Ceres, into a shaft of light coming down through the trees. "I do agree with you though. It's why I finally started doing things myself - I was tired of being scared of dying. I wanted to be free. And this world, for all its dangers, is a new one, and it's kind of exhilarating." He turned and gave her a lop-sided grin. 

"That's true... " Ceres said as Ronnel talked about the lack of choice. "None of us asked to be here... I wonder how lucky the few players must feel, the ones who logged out before it became impossible..." Ceres mused as she opened up her menu, her finger hovering over where the 'log out' option used to be. "I was going to log out, but I decided....nah just 10 more minutes....those few extra minutes are what kept me here today. I guess I'm just thankful that no one removed my headset. Although... I live alone so had no chance of that happening." Ceres gave Ronnel a smile.

"Sorry things to a little deep there, we should continue our search." She patted the tree she was beside. "Maybe our friend is hiding in here."

image.png.4cea26217de82fedfe0d9e4fa89f9a07.pngCeres lifted the spyglass to get a closer look. "Oh! Look! See. Up there in the treetops, its a small fluffy red squirrel." Ceres put away the spyglass and pulled out the familiar food, pouring a pile of it into her hands. It looked like sunflower seeds. "C'mere little one." Ceres said as she waved her hand to and fro, reaching as high as she could.  The Squirrel barely noticed.

Ceres sighed. "I think..I'm too short for it to notice me. But I Don't wanna shout and scare the poor thing away."

ID#134101 - LD: 13+5 =18 - SUCCESS
ID#134102 - First attempt to tame - FAIL  3 Attempts remain

Edited by Ceres

“Wha-where? Wait yeah, I do see it.” Ronnel blinked - the spyglass must have really helped her out, because he didn’t see the tiny little furry creature until she’d directly pointed it out. Even when she had, it was difficult to make out the small squirrel. He watched quietly, holding his breath as she poured the food out into her hand - watching as it seemed to shimmer oddly for a moment as it left the bag, but it must have just been a trick of the light as the pile of sunflower seeds in Ceres’ palm was completely normal. 

He saw the squirrel twitch slightly, but otherwise not really react to her attempt at getting its attention. The way the redhead seemed to deflate at that - and the fact that she didn’t want to shout - made up Ronnel’s mind before he knew what he was about to do. 

“Up you go, Firecracker.” Ronnel was moving even as he spoke, kneeling down and hoisting the girl up onto his shoulders. It was only after she was in place that his active mind caught up with what had just happened and the fact that this wasn’t his little sister, and Ronnel felt his face go red.

@Ceres

"See! Look how fluffy it is, and its cute little cheeks." Ceres said as she walked on the spot in excitement. Her own cheeks flushed as she struggled to get the tiny creatures attention. "If I could just get a little bit higher maybe it'd notice me and be my friend."

It was then she heard Ronnel say 'up you go, Firecracker' and before she could turn around and question him - Ceres felt him kneel down and she practically tumbled over his shoulders. Ceres gripped his shoulder tight, lest she suddenly fall off. "O-Oh wow! Is this what tall people see?" Ceres asked as she looked around. Wait, no. She was getting distracted. Ceres looked up at the squirrel, their eyes met. the creature had this most beautiful chestnut brown gaze. "Awwwww...." Ceres held out her hand with the sunflower seeds in it. "C'mon lil' guy...almost there..."

The squirrel came a little closer, running down the trunk of the trea to sit on a branch just out of Ceres' reach.

"P-puppy get me a little closer please?"

@Ronnel

ID#134110 CRAFT 8 = FAIL  (9 is needed)
2 Tries remaining.

Edited by Ceres

"Right. Ok." OK. She didn't care. Hadn't even said anything - so this was fine it was fiiiine. Ronnel took a deep breath and straightened up. As he took a step forward he heard a very slight crinkle, the softest little sound. His eyes flicked upwards in time to see the squirrel dart backwards - just enough to stay out of reach of Ceres' outstretched hand. The dark haired man breathed out a soft chuckle and shook his head. 

It was almost like the squirrel was playing with her, which he supposed was a good sign. It wasn't running for the hills, at least not yet. 

"I'm sure you and this little guy will get along great Firecracker. His hair is just about as fluffy as yours is." And that was the end of any and all observations he was making about their similarities. At least a squirrel would be energetic enough to keep up with the redhead as she bounced from activity to activity. "Need any closer? Little hard to see." He couldn't exactly tilt his head back right now to look upwards. 

"I can't help my hair fluffiness!" Ceres said with a pout as she lightly tapped on top of Ronnels head, a small and innocent way to 'hit' him without actually hurting him, not that one could be hurt in this game. "Just like that fluffy bab can't help theirs!" She rustled his hair. "Besides. Your hair also feels all fluffy and soft Ronnel!"

As Ronnel shook his head, it tickled her legs. Ceres stiffled a laugh...then laughed - almost loosing her balance, she sprinkled sunflower seeds everywhere and only a small amount remained in her hands. "P-Puppy! stop! That tickles!" Ceres snorted. She looked up at the Squirrel which stopped in its tracks. It was close now, close enough for her to reach out and grab it but that's not how trust was formed, she wanted the creature to come up to her on its own.

"I...I think I accidentally scared it..." Ceres said with a worried tone, she didn't want it to just leave her. But if she missed out on this one...they'd just keep looking. She'd spend all day and night to catch one if she had to. Hopefully Ronnel was prepared to be in this for the long haul.

ID#134150  CD: 6 - FAIL
1 attempt remaining

@Ronnel

Edited by Ceres

"Hey, hey, cheer up." Ronnel bounced the small woman on his shoulders. "He ain't gone yet. And even if this guy runs off, we can still keep looking. I'm not gonna just abandon you over this just if this one flops." He hummed and frowned, trying to think. 

"I wonder if there's any way to better the chances of it being ok with us?" He reached up and craned one arm around Ceres' leg, so he could rub his chin. "Like. I cannot sing, but don't they say music soothes the savage beast? I wouldn't say that little guy is exactly savage, but maybe that's something to consider? Or something to try with the next one - I'm sure there are performers we could get a recording crystal from." Ronnel was keeping his voice soft and low as he spoke, to keep from scaring the little squirrel off. The worry in Ceres' voice was almost painful to hear - she really wanted her companion. 

"Nooooo!" Ceres whined as she fidgeted. "If you sing it'll make everything run away!" Ceres hadn't actually heard him sing, but she had no doubt in her clustered, distracted mind - that if he tried, he'd scare everything away. "I don't want another one, I want this one..." Ceres mumbled. She lifted her hand up toward the tiny squirrel. "Did you hear that? I don't want anything else, I want you!"   Ceres smiled sweetly at it as she jiggled her hand to and fro - "I saw it in your sweet brown eyes."

The squirrel came closer, its orange tail flicking in curiosity. The tiny pink of its nose touched Ceres' fingertips and she giggled, feeling how wet the nose was. "If you stay with me I'll let you sleep on my shoulder!"

The Squirrel came closer, till it was sitting on her hand, it picked up a sunflower seed then began to nibble on it. Ceres carefully....very carefully drew it closer to her face. "Hello. I'm Ceres."

She patted Ronnels head. "And this is Ronnel. He's a giant dopey Puppy. What's your name?"

The Squirrel wriggled its pink nose and clambered up her arm to rest on her shoulder, its wet nose pressed into the shell of Ceres' ear. "Peeko?" She asked.

"Nice to be your friend Peeko!"

@Ronnel

#ID134151  CD9 = SUCCESS

Edited by Ceres

"Oi now." Ronnel laughed and bounced his shoulders, making Ceres and her new companion bounce in place. "You don't need to introduce me to everyone as a puppy. People are gonna get the wrong idea about things. And I'm glad he agreed you were cute enough to join with." The dark haired man laughed then knelt down, pulling the redhead and her new companion from their perch. Then he stood up and stretched out his back, wishing he could get a satisfying pop from it like he was used to. 

"Well now, one fuzzy companion acquired for the young lady." He reached up and ruffled her hair. "You keep her in line Peeko, alright? I get the feeling she's going to be alone with you sometimes, don't let her get too down in the dumps if that happens." He rolled his shoulders as he looked around. "Now then little Firecracker - looks like we've still got some time in the day. Do you want to call it quits and head back to town, or do a bit more out here before we finish up this expedition?" 

"Wrong Idea?" Ceres asked, confused. "Why? What would people think?" She tried to run different scenarios through her head, but nothing really came up as something that could be negative, or awkward. Ronnel lowered himself down so Ceres could get off his shoulders, she carefully grabbed her new companion. Peeko gave a happy chirrup sounding noise as its big bushy tail flicked back and forth. Ceres laughed as she nuzzled him, placing him back on her shoulder. Peeko clicked his tongue at Ronnel before burrying himself into the tangled mess of her hair.

"I'm not alone." Ceres said with a grin. "I always have myself to keep myself company, and now I have Peeko." 

Ceres brushed herself off then stepped up to Ronnel, brushing the few twigs and leaves that had fallen onto his body. "We should probably slowly make our way back. I have been pushing myself quite hard lately."

@Ronnel

Ronnel paused for a moment, tilting his head to one side as he looked at the petite redhead. If she was able to keep herself entirely content alone, that was admirable - he knew that it had been wearing on him for a while. Instead he gave her a wry smile. “As for the wrong idea - don’t worry about it.” It seemed he had learned other things than she had growing up, and he didn’t know if he wanted to despoil the innocence she had - or at least, what she portrayed.

“Mmm. You really shouldn’t do that. I understand wanting to help people - I feel the same way, even if it’s a bit harder for me to put myself out there to do that - but if you burn yourself out doing that, well then you won’t be able to help anyone.” He looked around, frowning for a moment before pulling up his map. “I got a bit turned around, give me a moment here...ah.” Thankfully, the map showed the general direction back towards the city.

Ceres tried to hide a giggle when she felt Peeko crawling around the back of her hair and neck, only to pop out his head on her other shoulder. His tiny paws clutching onto her loose clothing as he leaned forward to sniff the air between her and Ronnel. Peeko made a chattering sound and Ceres reached up to pat his head. "Aww, here..." She grabbed the bag of Familiar feed and pulled out some more sunflower seeds.

Peeko feverishly grabbed two handfuls, shoving both into his cheeks before grabbing another two handfuls. Waving them around excitably. Ceres put the bag away. "No more - I need to return this to that strange gypsy lady." 

Her and Ronnel were now walking side by side toward the town. "I don't know about helping people...." Ceres mused. "I've just...been doing a lot of things on my own lately. I need to do more too - I've run out of T1 materials, and my T2 stock is low...then I need to work on getting some T3 ones - since more and more people are showing interest in purchasing them." She gave Ronnel a grin. "I already have a back order of 20 T3 materials from Mari. That's like...." She counted on her hand. "3,000 Col!"

"You've already run out of tier one- wait hold up." Ronnel blinked and paused, turning slightly to look at the small redhead next to him. He felt a tremor of a slight headache run through his head and he pinched his nose to stave it off. "Ok, Ceres - Firecracker, I know you're a bit oblivious at times and it's kind of endearing, but be careful who you mention Mari around, alright?" He shook his head with a slightly crooked smile. 

"I'm fine with her - met her, and am trying to work on becoming her friend but lordie that's a slow process," the dark-haired man chuckled, "but a lot of other people aren't. She's got an infamous reputation, and whether or not it's deserved - I've been seeing people plotting about attacking her. I've tried warning her but - anyway, off topic. You need to be careful because you don't want people to start ostracizing you too - though, honestly..." He frowned and rubbed his cheek, studying the small redhead. "Honestly now that I think about it, that's kind of bullarky anyway. Hmm." Though to be honest the PKer would probably call them both idiots if she found out they were causing themselves trouble over her. Which in his mind just reinforced that at least some of how she'd gotten her reputation was erroneous. 

@Ceres

Ceres frowned when Ronnel pinched his nose, stopping mid sentence. He looked annoyed? What had she said now? Her brow furrowed when he cautioned her about who she should mention the name Mari around. "Why?" She shot back. "It's just a name, do you really have that little faith in people?" Ceres asked with a mixture of mild sympathy and annoyance. "I mean - no one is going to put a knife to my throat because I mention a name Puppy."

Ceres crossed her arms over her chest as they walked, she knew this - she knew all of this. "If people are plotting to attack her, that's not our business. She's far stronger than us - she's dealt with those situations before. She's had groups of players attack her, she's had her best friends attack her, a group of people on the lower floors?" Ceres paused and shook her head. "I doubt that'd even be a blip on her radar.

"Mari...isn't a good person, but she's not a bad person either - If you're having trouble being her friend maybe you should switch tactics?" Ceres asked with a wry grin. "I had no issue talking to her~"

@Ronnel

"To be fair I haven't really had a chance to talk to her recently. When we first, and last, met, I was - working through some issues." That was as polite and discreet a way of putting his crippling fears as Ronnel could think to put it. "And I don't have any issues with her thank you very much - more like I think she was completely exasperated with me." He chuckled as he remembered her disbelief and near-rage when he'd tossed a food bar at her. 

"And I know she probably wouldn't have any issues with them - but I'm a worrier. So I'll try to keep an eye out on it all." He shrugged. "Anyway - I'm glad you were able to find Peako, it looks like the two of you are going to be a good match." The little squirrel on her shoulders had puffed up slightly while she was telling him off over his worry, and he couldn't blame either of them. It was pretty silly of him to be worrying about the orange player. 

"Issues?" Ceres asked as she stopped him in his tracks, placing a concerned hand on his arm. "Puppy, are you ok?" She asked, concern lacing her voice. Ronnel shrugged off her concern with a slight laugh as he reached out and patted her head before continuing. Saying that Mari was completely exasperated with him. Now that....Ceres could understand, not because of anything that Ronnel had done, but it just seemed like Mari was the kind of person who got easily annoyed at most anything - and it varied depending on her mood.

Still Mari had apologised each time she had said something in anger or annoyance, that meant something, right?

"You worry too much." Ceres finally said with a laugh, giving his back a pat. "People like that don't need others to worry about them."

She turned her lilac gaze forward, they were exiting the forest now, and he even had a friend in tow - one who was fuzzy, and cute, and warm, and sat on her shoulder, chittering away secrets in her ear.  "Looks like towns just up ahead - what will you do when you go back there?" Ceres asked.

@Ronnel

"People like that..." He chuckled and shook his head. They were exactly the kind of people who needed someone to worry about them, because they didn't worry about themselves. He knew the kind, to isolate themselves and not let others see what was going on. But for now - it was not his place to worry about the woman. He ignored Ceres' first question though, not answering that one - he was nowhere near close enough to her to talk about that.

"Probably look around, see if I can level up some of my skills. Figure out what I want to do - rest a bit maybe? I need to get my own partner, or at least try, but who knows what my luck will be like." He chuckled and ran one hand through his hair. "Or I may try to hunt down the fourth part of that quest chain. I still have to finish that after all. Or - maybe try to figure out how I can actually be useful to other people instead of just another meatshield." Red eyes crinkled up as he grinned at the redhead.

"What about you, Firecracker?"

@Ceres