[F11-PP] A Walk Through the Forest

Ben saw Ceres' face fall, and a pang of guilt went through him. "I'm sorry, I didn't even think about that. I guess I'm still used to hanging out with my gaming group so often I forget other people don't really feel the same rush like that. And it's changed for me too, ever since the game changed to... well, what it is." he still looked a little scared as he talked, but sounded more decisive too. "But I have to at least go out there and try. I've played enough games to know what I'm doing, and can help get everyone out of here faster. Especially the ones who can't fight."

He glanced over at Ceres, surprised by even himself that he said all of that, and tried, without luck, to go back to gathering as much as he could. "I won't bring it up though if it makes you feel uncomfortable.  Because... I like this too.  I haven't had a friend to just talk with in a long time." he admitted, patting Ceres on the shoulder and giving her a smile.

Spoiler

Roll #134431
LD - 5+5 =10 , CD -1
Found 0 + 0 bonus materials

Total: 13 materials [T2]

@Ceres

Edited by Benjamin Bookworm
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ceres vehemently shook her head, her ornate earrings and lilly that was pinned in her hair shaking wildly. "It's fine really! I think it's more frustration than anything else. I could barely land any hits and you know that beginner quest with the swordfish? I think I fought that thing for hours. By the end of it all I wanted to do was curl and and cry over a cup of hot coco. I was just. That. Frustrated!" Ceres said as she placed emphasis on each word.

Ceres reached out and grasped his arm, giving it a tight squeeze. "It doesn't make me feel uncomfortable, I just sometimes feel like what I'm doing is inadequate you know?" She smiled sweetly at him as she gave Benjamins arm one final squeeze. "But people like you, and what you're doing - what we're doing - make me realize what I do is important." She let him go and waggled a finger in front of his face. "So don't feel like you can't bring it up in front of me. We are adults after all."

When he called her a friend and said the experience was a positive one Ceres' cheeks took on a warm hue, she laughed then glanced away. Why did that make her feel awkward and happy? Ceres turned her attention back to the path, pausing as she noticed a few bright red flowers which had burst their way through the beaten down track. She bent down to pick them up. 

"At the end of the day, It's good to remember we are all important."

@Benjamin Bookworm

#ID134473      LD:134474  16+=9    CD:4 ( 1 Bonus Materials)
2 Materials!

Total Materials Found by Ceres:  13 x  T2  Materials
Total Consumables Found by Ceres: 2 x T2 Materials (LINK
Total Col Found by Ceres: 825 Col

Edited by Ceres

"Yea... We do, don't we?  Sometimes it's easy to forget about that when you spend most of your days searching high and low for crafting ingredients, only to have to work just as hard to convince everyone else what you made is worth paying for." he let out a sigh as he grabbed some of the roadside flowers as well. "But it feels better to have someone to talk to about it when things start to get really frustrating." he gave Ceres a smile as he readjusted his scarf, loosening it now that they'd walked enough to heat up a bit. 

"I know I at least have the ability to give items to the front liners for boss battles though- I'm guessing it's a bit harder for merchants to deal with things when sales are slow though, are they?"  He would have to make a note of seeing what other merchant services he might need- even while he complained about lack of customers, he really didn't visit others shops as often as he should either.  He should change that.

Spoiler

Roll #134479
LD - 13+5 =18 , CD -2
Found 1 + 1 bonus materials

Total: 15 materials [T2]

@Ceres

Ceres nodded in agreement, "mmm....mmmm A few people have told me that the uhm... economy system here is quite whack-a-doodle. Because its much easier gaining money as a adventurer than say, a merchant or alchemist. That people aren't willing to pay things for what they are worth, but also - some people have so much money they don't know what to do with it." She shrugged her shoulders. "I'm content with what I've been doing."

"It is harder. My profession is based purely on who can bring items to me, unless I go out on ventures like these and sink all my col into identifications. Crafters have special potions or items to aid them, but we...kinda don't." Ceres laughed as she waved the notion off. "Not that I mind, I knew what I was getting into when I became a merchant."

Ceres reached out to a flower that was growing out from a passing tree trunk, but as she pulled it away, it shattered in her hands. She gave a small frown. Wow...she really had to focus more on her gathering, but the lock-picking skill was so tempting. It'd save her a tonne of col in the long run. "Mmm....Say Benji..." Ceres began as she glanced up to the sky. "Do you have any goals in here? I find myself... not really having any. I see people wanting to be on the frontlines, people getting married but me? I dunno, is it wrong for me to be content with how things are as I work towards escape?"

@Benjamin Bookworm

#ID134546     LD 2: +5 =7    CD:/  ( / Bonus Materials)

Total Materials Found by Ceres:  13 x  T2  Materials

Edited by Ceres

Ben chuckled a bit, realizing that the Benji nickname was probably going to be something that stayed around for a while.  He didn't really have any clear goals, but he did have one thing he wanted. "Honestly, I just want to help out everyone in getting ourselves home. Being trapped in here, away from our families and lives... it's just suffocating." His voice wavered a little as he talked.

"I put my cart on the first floor, just a little ways away from the monument of life.  Seeing those names- all the people who are never going to be going home to their families.  This... this isn't supposed to be how games work.  They're a diversion, a place where you can be yourself away from the pressures of life." he said sadly. "A home for people who didn't have a place they fit in.  And I can't just stand by while people are being hurt by something so good."

He focused on picking at some of the flowers in the forest as he talked, adding a few more items to his pouch and wondering why he was being so candid right now.  He hadn't really talked to anyone like this before... mostly because nobody had asked.

Spoiler

Roll #134605
LD - 14+5 =19 , CD - 3

Total: 17 materials [T2]

@Ceres

"Mmm..." Ceres wasn't sure what she thought of having a cart, or shop so close to  the monument of life. "The placement of your cart seems..." She tried to word it delicately so as not to upset her friend. "Detrimental...yanno? I understand its an important reminder, but constantly being around it? I guess for me - it'd always make the air feel heavy and tight. I think I'd struggle maintaining a positive attitude being so close to something that carries so much...well weight."

Ceres thought about the monument, and about Pkers - about people who had lost their lives. Benjamin was right...none of that should be happening here. "Sometimes...I wish that this were all some sick prank, and those who died are actually all waiting for us in the real world. That'd be nice right?But we can never know for sure. There are too many uncertainties."  Ceres

paused to ROLLING

"But, whilst we are here, and are alive, I think it's important for us to keep living, keep smiling, and keep doing our best - for everyone on that monument." Ceres gave Benjamin a warm smile. The topic had turned to quite a heavy discussion and she wanted to show him that she was okay. Ceres reached out and gave his arm a small squeeze.  "For now, let us focus on the here and now. Like right now, what do you wanna do?" Her lilac eye shifted forward. "Do you wanna wade around in that river?" She asked as she pointed to the trickling stream to their side. "Do you wanna climb those trees?" She asked again, "Or try to find another chest filled with all sorts of goodies?"

@Benjamin Bookworm

#ID 134610     LD : 20+5 =1 material    CD:6  ( 2 Bonus Materials)
3 materials!

Total Materials Found by Ceres:  16 x  T2  Materials

Edited by Ceres

As he felt Ceres' hand around his arm, he felt some of the unease that he had been carrying around feel a little lighter.  "Thanks. It's a new feeling for me to do that- usually I'm all about the speed runs and finding the best way to min-max my stats, rather than just taking in the sights like this."

"Honestly, what I want hasn't really been clear as much to me.  When I first walked out of the town, I wanted to be a hero.  To get to the front lines and save everyone with how awesome I was." he forced a laugh at that. "But I met others who were trying to survive, to get stronger... and maybe that's not what I wanted any more." he confessed.

"Right now... how about we head down to that river?  I haven't splashed around is water like that before.  I'll race ya!" he called out as he broke away running ahead, completely forgetting to check the ground for any materials as he ran.  He'd have to ask Ceres how she stayed so positive like this- after he won the race of course. 

Spoiler

Roll #134620
LD - 2+5 =7 , CD - 11

Total: 17 materials [T2]

@Ceres

"Aww I don't think that's too bad." Ceres said reassuringly. "I think at some point most everyone wants to be a hero. It sounds like an amazing and dazzling thing. So of course people will want the allure of that. I guess I personally never did but I'd be the kind of person running around asking for autographs instead." Ceres said with an embarrassed laugh as she tugged at her hair. 

Benjamin suggested the river and Ceres was all to happy to agree. What she wasn't expecting was for him to break into a run. "H-hey!" He was already off, already ahead. And Ceres took several seconds before her feet pushed up off the ground and ran after him. There  was no real way she'd win the race, but at least they were having fun. 

She made it to the lake just after he had, skidding to a stop a tad too late. Her feet sloshed into the water as she took two large steps into the river. "A..ahh..." She fidgeted as she opened up her menu to remove her shoes. "Why did Aincrad have to include the feeling of wet socks"She whined. At least her shoes were now safely in her inventory.

@Benjamin Bookworm

#ID 134621     LD 1: +5 =  6    CD:/  ( / Bonus Materials)
no materials found

Edited by Ceres

Racing ahead of Ceres, Ben splashed down into the river, tripping over some of the mud and stumbling up to his waist into the water as he did.  Her reaction at getting her socks wet just pushed things over the top though, and he was overcome with a fit of giggles, doubling over for nearly a minute as they both wound up wet in the river.

"That was, that was fun.  Wet socks and shoes or not.  They might even add to the ridiculousness of things like this." he said between giggles, reaching down to pull something off his leg. "Huh, I guess there's even stuff to harvest in the rivers.  That's something to keep in mind for next time, though I don't think I'll be drudging up rivers too often."

"So let me ask, do you have these kind of crazy adventures with all your friends, or just the ones who help gather materials with you?" he teasingly asked, hoping to learn a bit more about his new friend. 

Spoiler

Roll #134620
LD - 20+5 =25 , CD - 4

Total: 19 materials [T2]

@Ceres

"This is fun!" She corrected him with a laugh. Benjamin was already waist deem in the water -genuine laughter wracking his body. Despite the both of them being completely water logged. They were  both in good spirits. Ceres knew she certainly was. She watched as he went to pull something off his legs with a bemused grin. "Yeh, I usually find things in rivers, one time I fished up a chest! She said as she gestured with her hands, creating a square shape in the air.

Ceres shook her head when he asked if she had these 'crazy adventures' with her friends. "Actually uhm, I only really have two friends, one is quiet and reserved, the other...ahhh He's fairly busy cooking things all the time I think."  Ceres admitted, despite that admission there was no sadness in her voice. Nor did she feel crestfallen. "This is actually the first time I've gone out gathering with someone." She said with a grin. 

"And honestly I'm enjoying it quite a lot and- oh!" She reached out to once again fix his askew glasses.

@Benjamin Bookworm

#ID 134759     LD 8: +5 =  13    CD:/  ( / Bonus Materials)
no materials found

Edited by Ceres

It was kind of weird that even small rivers like this could hold things as big as treasure chests. "Hopefully it also doesn't have monsters down there... or mimics." he said with a shiver, watching the water much closer for now.

He was interrupted once again by Ceres fixing his glasses, blushing at the close proximity again.  She was doing this on purpose, she had to be. "Ah, um, well I'm pretty much on my own most days too.  Most of my online friends didn't want to join in so early, thankfully, so it's mostly been customers and some of the front liners I've talked to a lot.  And a lot of newbies who needed help with the first few quests- that's something I can never say no to helping with." he let out a smile with that one- some of the younger players were fun to hang out with, even if they never got very far or high level, at least they would be here still. 

"Maybe we could check again for any chests- you think there would be any good fishing here?"

Spoiler

Roll #134778
LD - 7+5 =12 , CD - 1

Total: 19 materials [T2]

@Ceres

"I wish I could help people like that." Ceres admitted when Benjamin said he helped newer players out with the quests. "But I find battling things so very hard... I really don't like it."

"Chests? Oh hang on!" Ceres said, as she took a deep breath and dived under the water; the water was surprisingly clear; considering it was a riverbed; she could see rocks, small fishes...Benjamins feet...Ceres reached out and 'booped' his feet with her finger before glancing around. She couldn't see any in the immediate vicinity.

She popped her head out of the water, breathing heavily, oops she may have had her head stuck under there for too long. Ceres rubbed her eyes, groaning. "Ahh...no sorry... there is no chests down there, at least not from what I can see. And I'd rather not try fishing...w-what if I accidentally fish up a monster?" She said cautiously. "Uhm...I don't really have anything in my fighting skills, do you?"  Ceres glanced around. "I think there would be lots of nice fishing places but uh...I mean...I guess we both could take on a monster if I fished one up, right? But I mean - Im barely above Tier 1 in terms of levels." She fidgeted as she began to ring the water out of her hair. "If you think we can take something on if it appears, I trust you." 

@Benjamin Bookworm

#ID 135121     LD 6+ 5 = 11 No Chest Found

Edited by Ceres

"That's... actually a good point.  Maybe I should have asked you to go on a gathering quest instead, so we wouldn't have the chances of something like that happening..." Ben said as he realized he didn't really know how often a monster would get fished up. "I have a little skill with my dagger, but mostly just rely on it's buffs to defend myself.  It'd take forever for the two of us to beat anything without damage buffs."

"Even if I'm a bit closer to tier 2 myself, it just means I get stronger monster spawns than before.  I haven't really trained my combat skills at all yet." he said as he pulled another handful of seaweed from the seabed into his pack.

He had been getting used to the constant boops and pokes, but seeing Ceres just dive down into the water like that was a little surprising.  "Are you OK with being wet like that? I didn't bring anything to dry off with."

Spoiler

Roll #135143
LD - 19+5 =12 , CD - 5

Total: 21 materials [T2]

@Ceres

"It's okay!"  Ceres reassured Benji as she approached him, legs sloshing through the water as she waded over to him so she was able to give him a few gentle pats on the back. "There is always next time, we can go out and gather some more mats, maybe we could make a day of it." She grinned as she pulled away from him to clasp her hands together. "Oooh oooh! Or like a camping weekend! We can start out by gathering T1 materials and end up on T3!" She held up a single finger, giving Benjamin a wide smile. "No less than fifty...no one hundred of each material! We'll have so many! And I'll make sure to bring tents and golden keys too!"

Ceres shifted to the riverbank and pulled up some shiny rocks from the mud, she quickly washed them in the water before putting them in her satchel. Ceres arched her back then bought her arms up over her head in a long and languid stretch. "Mmm....I really don't mind being wet -  I actually like playing around in water. The only thing I didn't like was the feeling of wet socks. It's a nice day out, so its not cold - and its not like we can get sick." She lowered her hands so they swung freely at her sides.

"So Benji, how many materials do you have?" She checked her satchel and frowned. "Darn...I've only got around 19, normally I'd have more by now but also...normally I'd be doing this alone, and honestly I'd rather have less and spend the day with you."

@Benjamin Bookworm

#ID135167     LD 18+5  =success+1 Mat    CD 11 =3 bonus materials
Total Materials Found by Ceres:  19 x  T2  Materials

Edited by Ceres

Ben sloshed around in the water as well, coming up empty once more. He began moving towards land and stepping up on he shore, shaking some of the water off of himself. "An overnight trip? I haven't been outside of town at night, well, ever.  That actually would be nice though- getting enough supplies to craft for several weeks at once." he said with a smile on his face. "Though I'd feel bad if you would up paying for most of the supplies for the expedition yourself.  Is there anything that I could bring along as well to help out?" he asked.

"Right now, I'm up to 21 materials.  Not my best haul by far either- I guess we're not finding any good spots yet.  But I'd rather have this time to relax with you than get a whole bunch of extra materials- it's been good to do something other than work on the game for once.  And I want to do it again for sure!"

Spoiler

Roll #135143
LD - 4+5 =9 , CD - 9

Total: 21 materials [T2]

@Ceres

Ceres found herself staring at the youth before her, water dotted his glasses and his lower half waterlogged, he gave her an earnest smile filled with warmth as he told her he'd rather spend that time with her. She felt her face redden. What was this feeling? "Ha HA HAHA!" Ceres laughed awkwardly as she took two steps forward, only to trip, falling face first into a pile of mushrooms; she sneezed as she pushed herself up off the ground, muddy, wet, and hair a mess. she must have been quite the sight. "Ahaaha!" She forced a laugh again as she quickly started to pick mushrooms. "Oh look more materials!" She said as she picked them then stood up. Embarrassed. Yeh, that was what she felt.  "Since we're both wet and I'm dirty should we slowly start heading back?" She grabbed his hand and pulled it forward as she started walking backwards.

Ceres didn't mind that she would pay for the supplies up front. She had most of them in her shop - and could buy them at base value. "Actually..." She gave a small grin. "I had a few people come into my store recently...I think they may have been frontliners...but yeh they got a bunch of stuff identified and junked so I have some Col spare." She patted her satchel, damp with water. "Besides, with these I'll be able to get some money too." Ceres gave Benjamin a grin. "Col is great and all but friendship is better, if we can have a fun time well - there isn't really a way we can put a price on that, is there?" She asked as she turned her attention forward.

'Hup'

She jumped over a fallen log and turned around, reaching a hand out to Benjamin in case he needed it. "It's moments like this that make life worth living after all, right?"  She knew it sounded corny, incredibly so - but Ceres was just speaking what she felt. Moments like this were important, she didn't want the games mechanics to run her life.

@Benjamin Bookworm

#ID135199     LD 17+5  =success 1 mat   CD 11 = 3 bonus materials
Total Materials Found by Ceres:  23 x  T2  Materials

Edited by Ceres

Ben held out his hand to Ceres, accepting the help in getting over the log and away from the water.  "Yea, I didn't bring any snacks for the road, so I don't want to stay out too late.  Plus I have to finish up making some of these mats into their finished goods." he said with a smile before he brushed one of the big spots of mud off Cere's hair.

"Glad to hear your shop is getting some good foot traffic- it always seems to come in waves for me, so hopefully you'll see a bit more the next time another high level group heads out for something else." he commented, though he was not looking forward to having to rearrange his shop's inventory once again.  "Any new plans once you get back home to your shop?  Besides finding a nice hot bath I mean."  He flashed a smile and a bit of a laugh at that, happy to have something new to look forward to.

Spoiler

Roll #135143
LD - 17+5 =22 , CD - 4

Total: 23 materials [T2]

@Ceres

Ceres clasped onto his hand and pulled him toward her before letting go. "Naw, Benji!" She chastised lightly as she wagged a finger to and fro in front of his face. "You should always bring snacks!" She said with a lighthearted laugh. "If I could..I'd always have a nice hot pot of milky chai tea, and some sponge cake - ooh or shortbread biscuits, doesn't that sound lovely?" She asked as she skipped over another fallen branch. This one much smaller.

She turned on her heel so she could walk backwards, facing Benjamin. "Yeh, I guess they must be trying to push through to the next floor or somethin' I Feel a little silly...like my intel should be better. Hmm...." Ceres wondered if she should ask Mari about it, or NIGHT? Both of those people seem like the type of people who would know whats going on in the frontlines. Or that guy who bought a bunch of stock...would it be rude to message him? 

"Hey I-"  She stopped, and then floundered her next words as he reached up and brushed a bit of mud out from her hair. "I gunbathooofooo...ba..gh." Her arms went out, spinning in circles as she desperately tried to catch onto something, unfortunately  that something just so happened to be the bespecaled man before her - she reached out and grabbed hold of his sleeve - and if he wasn't stout with his footing, he'd no doubt tumble down with her.

Ceres fell backwards onto her behind with an 'ooomph' "Ahh.. s-sorry!" She said quickly, "How embarrassing ah, Benji I'm so sorry!" Why was her heart pounding so hard in her chest. Her eyes frantically glanced around, she saw a bunch of flowers that were stained the colour of a rich wine, pulling them from the ground she showed them to her companion. "A-at least I managed to find these, right?" She managed with a laugh.

@Benjamin Bookworm

#ID135467     LD17 +5  1 mat   CD  4=1  bonus materials

Total Materials Found by Ceres:  25 x  T2  Materials

Edited by Ceres

With Ceres talk about how much food they could pack next time, he started to get hungry.  It sounded like it would be a fun time to be had. "It does sound good, especially since the sugar here wouldn't..." he said before being interrupted by Ceres falling over and grabbing into him, sending them both down to the ground, and making him see stars as he smacked his head on the ground.

"Ah geez, are you OK?" he asked as he pushed himself up, readjusting his glasses so he could see again. He then looked down at Ceres and realized he had landed on top of her.  And that she was laughing back up at him with flowers in one hand and his loose sleeve in the other.

"Ceres... That-that's fine! Nothing to be embarrassed about at all! We're both just messy and slippery and it's perfectly natural to fall over like that and I'm glad you're OK and I'm fine too and those flowers are really nice and do you need a hand up and I should probably get up myself too right..." he blurted out as his face blushed as red as the flowers, holding himself there for a few extra breaths before he pulled himself back into a sitting position, hiding most of his face behind his scarf.

Spoiler

Roll #135473
LD - 2+5 =7 , CD - 12 (oh come on...)

Total: 23 materials [T2]

@Ceres

Ceres grinned as she rolled over, grabbing another handful of flowers to shove into her satchel for later. At least she wouldn't walk away from today completely empty handed. A few consumables and a bunch of materials, that worked fine for her. Even more so...

Benjamin.

Ceres smiled softly, she had caught his comment about the sugar; but she wouldn't draw attention to it, even her with all he social foibles knew better than that. "Yeh, you are fine." She said with a laugh as she straightened his glasses. "It's fine Benji." She said gently as she stood up, carefully pulling him up with her. Ceres began to dust him off, pulling away errant sticks, leaves and twigs from his clothing. "This has been fun." She said as she finished dusting him off. 

"I really enjoyed this outing." She glanced over her shoulder at the path leading into the city then back to him. She knew she'd have to part ways with him, even though she didn't quite want to just yet. But, they were planning another one soon.  "Also Benji~" Ceres said as she reached out and pulled his scarf down. "You shouldn't hide your face~" She gave him a cheeky grin before giving him a wave goodbye.

"We'll see each other soon yeh? In a few days! In the mean time take care~" She called out as she began to walk back down toward the town then back to the 1st floor where her shop was.

#ID135649    LD12 +5  1 mat   CD 12=3  bonus materials
4 Materials get
Total Materials Found by Ceres:  29 x  T2  Materials

Edited by Ceres