[F1-PP] <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>> Learning to craft with Mari!

Wandering the streets of the Town of Beginnings, Kendre had found himself uncertain as to where to go or what to do. Having found himself trapped in the game alongside everyone else, he had spent an inordinately long amount of time making certain he had a decent piece of armor. He had someone at home he had to get back to, so he couldn't take needless risks. Finally having both the armor and courage to get out of the safety of the first town, he realized he wasn't quite certain as to what to do.

Coming to this realization, he decided to make his way outside the Town and see what he could find. Maybe he could glean an idea of where to start, or maybe even find a traveling companion until he could locate his other friends. And so, he made his way into the beyond the gates in search of guidance.

@Mari

Edited by Kendre

Mari sat cross legged on a large rock, just outside the safe zone of the Town of Beginnings. Normally, she'd avoid the area. Being this close to the starter town always caused her problems. If she ventured too close, the NPC Guards would have her head. If she lingered too long, players would grow nervous. She already knew of the various rumours going on within the town. Ronnel had told her - how they were getting together a group to kill her. To 'rid the world of the Pink PKer'

But the Pink Pker was already long dead, a name and mantle that no longer existed. All that sat there now, plainly and simply upon that rock was Mari. Just Mari.

It was just Mari who was casually chewing on a pizza roll. Just Mari who was wearing a baggy black jumper which hid the insidous dagger and armour beneath, and just Mari who glanced over at a tall and lanky man who was cluelessly wandering around just outside the safe zone.

Is...this guy for real?

Mari swallowed and waved at the man till she was sure she'd get his attention. "Yanno, wandering around like that... you'll be dead by nightfall." Mari pushed herself off the rock with a small 'hup' and wandered over to him. He was a good head or so taller than her so she had to angle her freckled face up at him. He wore nothing more than basic jeans, a pastel pink jumper - and for some reason (which clearly wasn't fashion) a white lab coat over it all. Normally Mari was not one to judge appearances. But today, she was judging.

"So..." She began. "What's got you wanderin' outside the safe zone alone, with nothin on ya?" A slender arm reached out to poke him in his chest, she left her index finger there. "Need help?"

@Kendre

Ken looked askance at the cute girl across from him and his reclusive life experiences kicked in even before he saw the icon above her head glowing orange, causing him to immediately halt his gait. Turning to face her more directly, his lab coat button closed, only revealing his undershirt as he replied "And what if I said I had other people waiting and watching us right now while I bait folks away from the town, since I'm allowed there?"

As the girl approached, he could feel his heart hammering,  knowing in his mind that he had virtually no option of escape unless this orange player either wasn't in the mood, or believed his lie. However, to reinforce his story, he gently used one finger to lower her prodding finger just a hair to feel the breastplate hidden underneath the lab coat before stepping away. "Not everything is out in the open, especially for a distraction. Something I can help you with, Miss?"

@Mari

Edited by Kendre

Mari tilted her head, the f**k was this guy on about? Her blue eyes lazily swiveled across the area - there was no one around. Sure, they could be hiding, using a skill - but even if they were to charge at her...Mari spoke her thoughts aloud. "Even if several people were to charge at me, I'd be able to stand the brunt of the attacks - and I'd just..." Her had fluttered away into the air to illustrate her point. "Teleport away." Mari stepped back from him and crossed her arms, geez - she was only trying to help him. "If you said that, I'd say you're full of sh*t." Mari said simply.

"Mari. Just Mari." Came her response when he asked for her name.

"If you don't want my help then that's your problem, I ain't gonna grovel at your feet." And she wasn't. She had offered her help, and he clearly didn't want it, that wasn't her damn problem. Mari turned and gave him a wave over her shoulder.

"Well, if I'm not needed here then have fun with your army of friends at your beck and call, Bait." 

@Kendre

Fighting a slight laugh at how immediately she saw through his lie, though he listened to hear her out. Logically, as long as she didn't stab him to death, which she could've done already, there was no harm to having a much stronger player to help him out... Or at least give him some direction. Calling out to her after she began to walk away, "Hey, Mari, hold up. I do apologize for the rude introduction, but when an orange player is camped outside of the safe zone greeting low level players... Well, I think I'd have better chances walking around out here without gear than wantonly trusting orange players. That said, yeah, no, I was just trying to buy time to run if I need it. If you're willing to help, and not stab me, then it would be both rude and foolish to turn down assistance... Assuming that's still an option?"

Reaching up to interlock his fingers behind his head as he awaited her response, he was merely satisfied with making it through yet another day. As much as he didn't want to return to his normal life and world, he still needed the frontlines to hurry up, even if that meant putting himself in the Frontlines. His girl was waiting at home, and had been this entire time. He trusted her to wait, but he also didn't want her to leave him for dead either, and if this dragged on much longer, he couldn't blame her for doing so.

Edited by Kendre

Mari turned to glance at him from over her shoulder. Blue eyes narrowing as her freckled face scrunched up. You'd think the woman had eaten a lemon. "Mmmm...." He was right, really - she was an orange player lurking around the lower floors, and that was pretty suspicious to the normal person. Whilst Mari had completely legitimate reasons for being there, she couldn't really fault him for treating her with ire. "No, you're right." Mari admitted with a sigh. "I'm a suspicious person."  

Mari held out her arms - showing that she didn't currently have any weapons equipped. "And beneath this oversized jumper? Yeh - I got a weapon that'd kill you with a single strike." 

Mari lowered her hands. "I don't mind helping." She muttered, glancing away. "But it's not like I want to. I'm just...killing time." She snorted as she gave him a wry smile. "Rather than players, that is." 

Mari broached the gap between them once again. "Mmm...it looks like you're...clueless right? Do you even have any quests up?" Mari asked as she quickly opened her HUD and stood closer to him so he could peer over her shoulder. "See these?" She pointed to the beginner quests. "You should do them first. They get you basic gear and level yourself up quickly. I can help with the gathering or fighting but anything you need to do in town, you're on your own. So...let's assume you haven't done them yet - you'd be doing the first quest and you need to gather materials, right?" Mari didn't wait for an answer. "So-" She slapped him on the back.

"Lets go huntin' for materials then."

@Kendre

Chuckling softly at her initial response, he cut in quickly "Actually, I wouldn't really say you're suspicious looking, overall. The floating icon is a pretty quick giveaway. I tend to be a bit suspicious of everyone, though, so it's not a big deal."

Talking fast, to reassure his newfound, very dangerous guide, he mentally amused himself with the idea that he's basically about to be raised by a digital wolf; a predator, waiting patiently in the wild for who-knows-what. Fighting off a quiet laugh, he muttered to himself, "Should've named myself Romulus..." as he listened to her explanation. However, Mari likely noticed him stiffen quickly as she stepped closer, especially after the comment about the weapon.

Nodding his agreement to most everything she was saying, he was well and truly surprised at how generous and welcoming this person was. Maybe she had just gotten into an altercation? He wasn't certain as to what had transpired to bring her to having that icon, so he would wait and see... Plus, at this point, he really had no chance of escape if it came to that, assuming she really was an orange player.

Pulling up his own HUD, he mimicked her motions and read the name of the quest aloud, "The First Few Lessons are Free... That mean you're not charging for the info?" he finished with a joking grin.

"You know what kind of materials the quest requires, I assume?"

Edited by Kendre

Mari gave him a wry smile, "Charging? Mmm - I guess that depends what you're offering." She said with a jestful tone. Mari closed out her HUD as she rolled her shoulders in a shrug. Already she had began to walk down the path. The further away from the Town of Beginnings she was, the better. "I don't think it matters what materials you bring in to the old man - as long as you bring them in - then he'll do whatever it is that NPCs do."

She turned her freckled face to stare at him, he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders at least, unlike Ronnel who was far too jumpy. Mari knew she shouldn't be so judgemental of others, but old habits were hard to break. It's why she was helping him in the first place. That's what good people did right? Help others without reason or cause? This tall lithe man looked like he'd be more at home in a lab rather than out in the fields. She wondered if he even had a weapon. "If looks can be deceiving..." Mari mused to herself as she shifted her gaze away.

"Materials can be found practically anywhere, for instance...." She pointed to the field of flowers to their left. "If you go searching in there, you may be lucky enough to find what you're looking for. 

"Now go on, get on yer hands and knees." She said, completely deadpan - "And find yourself some materials, or whatever." Inwardly, Mari thought she was absolutely f**king hilarious.

@Kendre

Turning to regard her, "Offering? I don't remember offering. You're the one with the deadly weapons, so... I guess the price you set is kinda non-negotiable?" Ken replied with a joking smile, still moderately concerned about offending her and getting stabbed by said weapon. However, he figured his best chances of that unwanted scenario being avoided were to cooperate with the scary, yet cute, woman in front of him. It wasn't his first time ingratiating himself with dangerous folks in a game, just the first time where the danger was more real than losing some experience or money. And, in his experience, treating folks like normal people was usually key in keeping them complacent. Don't insult them, don't deride them, and when possible, compliment them until they either like you, you get away, or you end up with a sick case of Stockholm Syndrome.

Nodding his head once again as he listened to her explanation, he was amused to find that which materials didn't really matter all that much. Turning to regard the field she mentioned, he felt his face turn a light shade of red as he turned to regard her, saying "I mean, if that's your price..." before winking quickly and wandering into the flowers to begin his search for miscellaneous plant-based materials.

ID# 134396  Loot: 7

Edited by Kendre
incorrect dice! my bad!

Mari followed him to the patch of flowers at a casual pace - she was in no rush, and it didn't look like he was either. Mari didn't want to stress too much about gaining levels - now that she had hit Tier 3 she felt she was making steady progress. And a chittering red idiot of a girl told her she should slow down and enjoy the smaller things in life.  Blue eyes watched as the taller man bent down, a blushed hue on his cheeks as he rambled on about her price. The hell was he on about?

Wait.

"What the f**k? did you just say to me?" She snapped. If one could explain the look on her face, it'd be aghast with embarrassment. What the hell was he insinuating Mari was most definitely not thinking of him that way. The thought hadn't even....why? Why were people like this? She made a few grumbling noises as she stalked into the flower patch with him.  She practically dropped to her knees, causing a flurry of flowers to upheave into the air.

Her tone changed, although Mari would never have realized it - it took on a softer tone as her eyes lowered to the canopy of yellows and whites beneath them. "Look, its easy." Mari said as she leaned down, carefully plucking a flower from the ground. She lifted it up to the man. "See how easy that was, Bait?" Mari reached out and grabbed his hand, placing the Material into it. "We both need to gather 5 materials for this quest, but you take this one." Mari offered him a smile. "Now you try."

#134404 LD: 16
1/10 Materials obtained

@Kendre

Edited by Mari

Ken raised each arm into a "v" shape, palms skyward, as he shook his head slowly, remarking, "Whaaaat? Just offering to do as you asked..." before turning to look back at her with a joking grin. Feeling kind of bad as the girl took on a notably embarrassed expression, he quickly added "Was only joking with ya, sorry if I made you uncomfortable."

Taking the flower from her, he nodded his thanks before depositing it into his inventory for the moment. Sink to a knee in the flowers, he looked for a flower similar to the one she had grabbed; seeing a similar one, he reached out and plucked it delicately, pleased to have gotten one so quickly. Glancing over to Mari with a wide grin, he held up the flower and said, "I think I'm getting the hang of it. Not too difficult at all. Is gathering always this easy?"

ID# 134411 Loot: 14

2/10 Materials obtained

Edited by Kendre

"I mean...you got one, do you want a f**king medal or something?" Mari asked Kendre as he held up the flower to her. Yes Mari, that's how you make friends, continue to insult them. f**k why was this whole 'be more social' thing hard? Mari drew in a deep breath and held it for a few seconds before exhaling and rolling her shoulders.  He was clearly very new to exploration, how had he never picked materials before was beyond her but Mari wasn't going to belittle him for it. At least, not any more than she already had. "Yeh, you did good, I guess."   

"It's not always so easy..." Mari's eyes shifted over the flower field, seeing a damaged flower she picked it up to illustrate her point. It disintegrated in her hands. "Not all materials can be gathered so easily, sometimes it takes a long time. Especially if you don't have the search or gather skills. But there are players who specialize in that sort of thing - so unless you want to roam the floors picking flowers as you tiptoe through the tulips I'd avoid those skills."

@Kendre

# LD:134412  LD: 4 
2/10 Materials obtained

Edited by Mari

Smirking at her hasty response, Ken rebutted "I mean, I don't have any medals yet, so I wouldn't mind..." before returning his gaze to the flowers. Shrugging at her halfhearted compliment, he plucked another flower like the last, depositing it into his inventory as he continued his previous thought, "... but I think the company is a better reward than a trinket. Well, unless it had some sort of enhancement, I guess, but you know what I mean."

Tossing another smile the girl's way, recognizing that she's having social difficulties, he didn't want to alienate his first potential ally... especially one that could kill him! But, more than that, he had yet to regroup with his friends, and he could think of few better ways to spend his time than trying to help someone else. Returning his attention to the task at hand, he nodded his understanding to the girl, "I see, I suppose it makes sense that some mats would be a bit more challenging. Although, is it really not worth getting the gathering skills? What about crafting? Or do people just sell the mats, or something?"

ID# 134413 Loot: 13

3/10 Materials Obtained

"Company?" Mari blinked, then narrowed her eyes as she stared at the redheaded man. His blue gaze didn't hold any malice, nor hidden intent - not that she'd see that of course. "Most don't exactly like my company, Bait."  She knew what he meant, but she didn't understand the sentiment. More so, she struggled to accept that the sentiment was directed toward her. People didn't want to just hang out with her. There was always some sort of motive - even now - realistically...she was helping him with a quest. If she weren't, she'd doubt he'd have even stopped to talk to her.

"I personally don't want to waste my skills on gathering - you have all sorts of vendors who sell them. Most are in the safe zones so I can't give you informative comparisons, but I know a young girl named Ceres has a merchant store and she sells them fairly cheap. Dumbass could charge almost double and do just as well."

Mari went to pull out another flower but it's stem broke.  Mari sighed as she crumpled the flower in her hand and let the pixellated dust fall freely from her palm. "Let's move on, there's a lake not too far ahead." She jutted her thumb behind her back. Further away from the Town of Beginnings. "This floor is littered with them, no doubt because its the first floor it has a bit o' everything." Mari stood and wiped her hands on her baggy jumper. She surveyed the area, and saw no immediate threats. Good. She didn't want to deal with any fights, mobs or otherwise today.  "I guess...it depends what kind of build you want to go for."

@Kendre

# ID:134414  LD:1  
3/10 Materials obtained

Edited by Mari

Glancing around and grabbing one last flower delicately between a finger and a thumb, he stowed it in his inventory once again before regarding the girl quizzically, "Why wouldn't they like your company? You've got all the hallmarks of popularity. You sit on rocks brooding, hesitantly assist random passerby, and even have a knife on hand in case you need to cut bread... or people. What's not to like? Only kidding, I generally don't trust or like most people, but so far you seem to have been honest. And if you meant me harm, well... We know how that would've gone. Is there a reason I shouldn't enjoy your company?"

Following the direction of her thumb, Ken looked past her to where the lay supposedly lay. While he couldn't see it quite yet, she hadn't given him any reason to believe she's being anything but honest. And, really, she had no reason not to be; she was clearly more experienced, and had survived at least one PvP encounter. He had little to teach, little to give, and little reward for a robber or a PKer. The only logical conclusion was that she genuinely wanted to help him, for whatever reason, and Ken had no intention of arguing the cute, but deadly, woman.

Adjusting his lab coat to cover him a bit more comfortably, he tilted his head in the direction of the lake, "Care to take the lead, since you know where we're going?"

ID# 134415 Loot: 12

4/10 Materials Obtained

Mari started her stead toward the lake, she didn't need him to tell her to take the lead - she already had. A booted foot kicked at a loose pebble on the grassy plains and she watched as it bounced once before loosing sight of it amidst clumps of grass. Why was she bothering to do this? As they walked side by side, Mari's eyes kept on glancing toward the taller man.

"You'd think so huh?" Mari finally commented on his question in regards to her popularity She gave him a wry grin. "I have had quite the audience a few times." And it were true, once she had inadvertently gathered an audience when she was playing the violin and singing, another when she had quite literally lost her mind - an had accidentally felled another player. 

"I sit on rocks because I can't climb any tall buildings." Mari joked. "Yanno, like the superheros all do - I gotta make best with what I have."  

They neared the lake and Mari had yet to answer his question. As they arrived at the lake Mari finally replied. "Most people...don't like my company. I'm rude, brash - and brutally honest. People don't like it when others point out their foibles. They don't like being called out on their bullsh*t." Mari paused to kick off her boots. "I've always been honest, painfully so - and yet no one seem to f**king get the f**king hint." She spat. Sure, she could simply de-equip her clothes, but small actions like this...they made her feel more human.

Mari took off her jumper, not wanting to get it wet. The curves of her body were no longer hidden - and she suddenly looked much older than she did when she was being swallowed up by clothing. She still wore a black tank top. How many times did people say they didn't trust her? And... how many times did she distrust them? Mari clutched the jumper against her chest. "I'm a f**king hypocrite though." She said softly as she threw the clothing over her shoulder and went to wade into the lake. Pausing when the depth hit her knees, she bent down and pulled up a shimmering rock - she threw it toward Kendre.

"That's five now right? We could probably find the rest around here. Just don't wander too far out into the middle - monster fish can spawn there."

@Kendre

# ID:134416  LD: 14 
5/10 Materials obtained

Edited by Mari

Choosing, possibly wisely, to simply listen as she explained a bit about herself, he deigned not to interrupt, just appreciating the scenic vistas as he listened to her talk. Smirking as she commented on doing what she could, he glanced her way and finally remarked, "I'm sure you could leap buildings in a single bound if you got creative. Ever consider legos?"

As they approached the lake, he looked down at his apparel briefly before realizing he hadn't planned for a wet adventure. Shrugging his misgivings away, he quickly unequipped his lab coat, breastplate, and shirt, leaving him in just jeans and boots before he glanced up to realize the jumper was gone, and he found himself staring a moment before glancing away, not wanting to be rude as he remarked, "Well, we seem to be of a similar state of affairs, then. I get much the same reaction from people, although they tend to just call me weird and go about their business. The red hair doesn't get us as far as folks would have us believe, am I right?"

Wading into the water a couple steps behind her, he caught the rock she had tossed him and briefly examined it before stowing it away and sifting around in the water for one of his own, listening as she spoke, dismissing her self-deprecation out of hand, "Hey, everyone's a hypocrite, didn't you know? Not that I like hypocrisy, but it's often an unavoidable circumstance of life, sadly. Why, I as a teen often criticized folks for smoking cigarettes, called 'em coffin nails. Now? Pack a day, or so."

Fishing around in the water some more, he felt something brush against his palm and pulled up another shiny rock, tossing it to Mari. "You needed five materials, too, right? Have a soggy rock."

ID# 134419 Loot: 14

6/10 Materials Obtained

@Mari

"Right!" Mari said, exasperated. "Where I'm from I was f**king picked on all throughout Primary and High school because I'm a f**king soulless ginger!" She slapped the surface of the water to enunciate her point. "But Oh, the moment I start f**king working and succeeding its all oh hey gorgeous like no. F**k off with that sh*t." Mari said with a huff as she ran a hand through her hair. It was...oddly nice to be able to complain about issues like this. How long had that been locked up in that vault of hers? 

"Although, the first few years here - I had pink hair, pink armour...the whole nine yards." Mari on purposefully left out the bit where she was the renowned Pink Pker. He didn't need to know that, and it was a mantle she was truly trying to distance herself from. Mari paused to bend over and pick up another rock, she pocketed it wordlessly. 

"I hate the smell of cigarette smoke." Mari said, not meaning to be rude to him, it was after all true. "By the time we get out of here your body would have kicked that Nicotine addiction at least, eh?" Mari asked with a wry grin. It quickly disappeared as she scrambled to catch the rock he had thrown her way. 

Now, Mari likes to think she is graceful. Mari likes to think she is smart and well equipped. Prepared. She thinks she has some decorum of poise and balance. But what Mari thinks, and what Mari is - are two different things. And Mari is not any of those things. As she caught it she tumbled forward, falling into the water. She quickly surfaced and glared at the man before her, even though it was entirely her fault.

"Boy you sure know how to treat a lady, Bait."

@Kendre

# ID:134424  LD: 20 
7/10 Materials obtained

Edited by Mari

Nodding his fervent agreement at her frustrated venting, he continued to sift through the silt beneath the water, he piped up as she finished her initial rant, "I know, right? Everyone thought it was OH SO FUNNY. Although, I guess you had different luck with the attracti... Err, well, not that I.... OH LOOK A ROCK!" before pretending fervently to be distracted before pulling an old boot out of the water, commenting "Err... Guess not..."

Having sufficiently evaded his verbal misstep, he hoped, he glanced over at her and tried to imagine her in all pink, and couldn't help but remark "Wasn't all pink a bit gaudy, though?" as he continued to fish around. "As for kicking the addiction, it was never so much an addiction. I've quit a few times, mostly due to money, and it wasn't really difficult. Mostly, I smoke simply because I enjoy it." he said just before she began to topple forward. Stepping forward to catch her, he found himself a bit too slow and standing over a sodden ginger. Offering a hand to help her up, he remarked "I try. By the way, the name's Kendre, though you can call me Bait if you prefer. I'm aiming to be somewhat of a tank, anyway, so it'll be accurate. But hey, water aside, at least I didn't lead with 'Hey gorgeous'." with a soft grin, trying to keep his amusement under wraps. 

ID# 134447 Loot: 2

7/10 Materials Obtained

Mari reached out and gripped his hand with a wet 'schlick'  and used the momentum to help pull herself back up, on the way up she picked up a small shell from the riverbed, and pocketed it. "I'm not a f**king idit." Mari said as she started to wring out her top. "Although I don't get why you think I'd have different luck. You look perfectly fine to me."  Note: Mari thinks she's not an idiot, but often she missed the point. Much like now - she assumed Kendre had trailed off because he didn't want to bring focus to any inadequacies he may feel. She didn't even think for a moment, that he was calling her attractive. Mari just didn't really see herself in that light. Nor did she see what Kendre's problem would have been in attracting others, maybe he was too lanky? Or probably because he smelt like sh*t from all the smoking he did. Either way, Mari didn't give the subject any more thought.

"It was gaudy, that was the point. Everyone was so focused on wearing black and brooding and being edgy. It pissed me off. So I thought I'd go the complete opposite. I really didn't care how I appeared to others."

Kendre. So she finally had a name to the face. Although, now that she saw him all she could think of was bait, especially after the Tank comment. Mari pulled her hand away from his and used it to slick wet hair back out of her face.  "I wouldn't have picked you for a tank, when I picture tanks I picture men with broad shoulders and a hefty frame you're...kinda the complete opposite."  

Mari inwardly groaned as he made the comment about how he didn't lead with 'Hey Gorgeous' it reminded her of a man long since dead. Daeron. He did not know when to quit. Kendre didn't quite seem the same though. "If you had, I may have just thrown you to the floor myself." Mari said as she gave up on trying to remove the excess water from her clothes.  "We only have two materials left. I'm going to go and try to dry off, how about you go for a swim instead?"

@Kendre

# ID:134448  LD: 17 
8/10 Materials obtained

Edited by Mari