F09/PP So, Just an Angry Bear Then? <<Ferocious Foe>>

Spoiler

Oscar - Lvl 46
940 HP
92 Energy
2 Accuracy (+1 Weapon +1 Precision)
3 Evasion
16 Base Damage - (1 Base +7 Skill +1 Ferocity +6 Familiar +1 Athletics)
61 Mitigation 

Items
Chaos Eater ............ // Bleed, Bleed, ACC
Librarium Overcoat ................. // +3 EVA
Plated Azure Tights ............... // +36 MIT, +3 Recovery

Leeroy & Jenkins - Familiar ............. // +3*Tier DMG

Battle Ready Inventory
Teleportation Crystal .............. // 
3 Healing Potions   ............ // +30 HP Recovery
3 Healing Potion of Healing Healingness ............ // T2 HP Recovery
Empty Inventory Slot ............. // 
Empty inventory slot ............ //
Empty inventory slot ............ //

Buffs
Rested ........................... // -1 energy cost for the first two expenditures of each combat.
Filling .......................... // Increase the effectiveness of a single food item consumed in a thread by +1 T1 slot.
Relaxed .......................... // Increases out of combat HP regen by (5 * Tier HP) and decreases full energy regen to 2 Out of Combat Posts.

Skills
2HBA                      | Rank 5: +8 Damage
Light Armor                | Rank 5: +25 Damage Mitigation
Concentration                   | +1 to your BD (3 turn cooldown)
Survival                   | Heal 15*Tier HP when out of battle
Parry                        | 2-turn CD, 5 EN Half damage of next attack and remove Stun/Paralysis effects

Skill Mods
Ferocity                   | Increases Base Damage by 1
Athletics                  | Increases Base Damage by 1, Max HP by 10*tier
Precision                 | Increases Accuracy by 1
Justified Riposte      | Successful Parries Stun Opponent

Having defeated the Leech Lich of Floor 10 with Cordelia, Oscar wondered what would happen if he managed to get all of the totems together. To that end, Oscar found himself back on Floor 9. It wasn't his favorite locale. The dense jungle was quite interesting, but Oscar avoided this floor mostly because he didn't wish to chance upon the Monkey King once again. When he had initially completed that particular quest, he only realized afterwards that he had been exceptionally lucky to have not been hit. Apparently the information brokers had failed to inform him just how much damage the primate was capable of dishing out over the course of a fight. To the best of his recollection, the boss could have done more damage than Oscar had health at that point. Though he was much higher level now and the boss itself constituted nothing more than an annoyance, the mere fact that he almost blundered into death was enough to make him leery of the forest floor below.

But, of course, the thrill of adventure was too much for him to deny it. Kind of.

Oscar stood at the edge of the settlement, placed high up in the trees for the simple reason that the Monkey King was a real asshole. He gazed down through the canopy at the forest floor below. He was rather engrossed in his own thoughts. Or, more specifically, his own hesitancy to get down to ground level. Perhaps some company was in order. He took a parting glance at the forest below and shuddered. Yes, company would make this much more bearable. So he headed back towards the Teleportation Plaza, hoping to find another adventurer like himself there.

@Benjamin Bookworm

Benjamin was busy checking his map data once again.  He needed to go out in the woods again, to try and find himself a few more materials once again... actually he probably needed some more col to expand his workshop too.  He let out a sigh as he opened up the menu of quests for this floor, seeing everything around here is so much tougher than what he'd ever faced before- and most of his skills were for crafting and gathering.

He paused as he saw a familiar face walking towards him, not bothering to close up his menus while waving. "Hey there!  You're the guy with the hot dog stand, aren't you?  Nice to see you here!" he called out, glad to see someone he recognized.  Usually he hung out on the lower floors, and wasn't as familiar with the players up here who were higher level. Plus he was always happy to see someone who made good food- that was something that helped him out a lot on his expeditions.

@Oscar

Spoiler

Level - 22
HP - 440
ENG - 44
DMG - 3 (1 base + 1 skills + 1 equipment)
MIT - 5
ACC - +1 (1 equipment)
EVA - 3 (3 Equipment)

Sword Arts -

• [x2 Stun] Side Bite (5 Energy) - Stab your opponent in both sides, pincing nerves, stunning opponent.
  • [x2] Round Accel (2 Energy) - Dash around target at high speeds, delivering two slash/stabs into target.

[EQ] [T1 Rare Dagger] Emerald Shiv - ACC 1, DMG 1
EQ] [T1 Uncommon Heavy Armor] Benjamin's Carapace - Mit 1 (From Worn out Welcome quest)
[EQ] [T1 Perfect Charm] Green Leaf - Evasion (3)

(Total LD +2 from skills and items)

Battle Ready Items- (+3 due to skill, +1 due to dimensional backpack)
(5) Lesser Basic Healing salve (Heals 20 HP)
(3) Starter Healing Potions (Heals 50 HP)
(5) Lesser Curative Potions (Healer 40 HP) [T2]
(2) Teleport Crystal
(5) Lesser Burning Edge Potion (+1 Dmg)
(5) Magic Armor Potions (Safeguard)
(1) Lesser Nature's Vitality Potion (+1 Mitigation) [T1]
(1) Basic Healing Salve (Heals 40 HP)

A familiar voice rang out. One that he vaguely recalled, but couldn't quite place. He turned to the source of the sound and - upon laying eyes on the brown-haired bespectacled youth - realization flooded into him. Oscar cracked a wide smile and threw up one hand in greeting. "Benjamin! Where ya been? You shop's been kinda bare for months!" Truth be told, Oscar only knew of Benjamin from his shop. That being said, it had been his go-to place for all of his alchemical needs. That is, until the young man seemingly fell off of the face of the earth and he was forced to search elsewhere. Oscar approached Benjamin, truly surprised to see him so high up with only a dagger to protect himself. He would definitely need to get to the bottom of that posthaste. No way Oscar could let him wander this floor by himself with that as his only protection.

"So what brings you up here, buddy? I'm hunting Kumatetsu myself."

@Benjamin Bookworm

Ben let out a smile- it had been a while. "Ah, well I guess I had a bit of a breakdown, closed up shop for a while... but I'm hoping to be back again.  I'm here to try and gather up some more crafting supplies, actually.  Sales are usually pretty thin at the shop, and I don't have the skills to deal with quests myself for the col..." he said as he looked at his log once more.

"Actually, I haven't done that quest at all. Would you be up for having someone else along to help?  I have my first aid skill pretty high, and plenty of items to help out." he asked, shifting his backpack around as he smiled with excitement. It had been a while since he'd been on an honest combat quest, and he was itching to get started again.  It wouldn't do to let all the skill points he had in healing go to waste- or drift far enough from the front liners that he couldn't provide them the items they needed for the boss fights.

@Oscar

"Well considering I'm being kinda chicken[censored] about going down to the forest floor, I'd totally love the company. Especially someone who can heal," Oscar said flatly. There was also the added bonus of being able to make sure his favorite alchemist didn't get absolutely eviscerated by the meandering Monkey King. But he wasn't going to point that one out. Fortunately for Benjamin, Oscar didn't think that they would need to break into his stores of alchemical concoctions. This was a quest on Floor 9. He was level 46. There was no way this boss would actually be threatening enough to warrant an using consumables. "Let's save the items for another day. I don't think the boss is going to survive more than a couple hits and there's no way that it'll deal enough damage to really be a threat. That said, I appreciate the offer. But, like I said, they would most likely be wasted. Shall we head out?"

Benjamin nodded, though he shifted around a bit while he did so. "Well... if you ever want any I have plenty.  The uncommon class of items never really sell, so I always wind up with a store full of them until it's time to dump them off at a merchant.  Might as well use them when there's a chance, right?" he asked as he looped a few of them into his potion belt, ready for use if they were called upon, and tucked his emergency teleport crystal in front for if there's an emergency they couldn't deal with.  Oscar was a good friend, but he wouldn't ask him to risk himself defending a low level player if they had to make a hasty retreat.

"I wish I had some more crystals that were low tier that I could use, but for now I can only use lower tier ones.  Maybe we'll get enough XP here to change that?" he quipped as he loaded the route for the quest onto his map and started walking down the path.  Hopefully they'd get the boss done with enough time left over to do some treasure hunting too!

@Oscar

Oscar and Benjamin ventured down to the forest floor. As they walked, Oscar looked at the quest requirements. Apparently, they had to track down the boss before they would be able to fight it. Which meant they would, concievably, be stuck on the forest floor for an extended period of time. Plenty of time for the Monkey King to make an unwanted appearance. Rather annoying, really. But, Oscar felt more comfortable having Benjamin around. The dude could heal. Plus Oscar would probably perform better if he had someone else watching. 

"You know, I really don't even bother keeping my Uncommon crafts. Sometimes, even keeping the Rares is pushing it. But I have a few enhancements that I can apply that can only have two slots maximum, so it works out. Probably would get more if I took them to a merchant, but it's really not worth the effort. Especially considering my shop isn't even my best Col generator."

He pointed back to Chaos Eater behind him. "I get more Col from killing four mobs than I think I've ever obtained via my shop. AoE in this game is busted."

ID: 134438 Searching for Kumatetsu LD8 Fail.

@Benjamin Bookworm

Ben shifted around uncomfortably at that statement. "Yea... but I don't have the build to use combat skills like that to fight anything close to my level.  So my crafts are all I have to make much col from, and not very much from that as it is." he paused, remembering something else he had talked about recently.  "You know, even if you don't need the col, you could just give them to some of our support merchants for junk sale anyways.  They make a lot of their col from their shops too, and the XP from using their skills is a bit harder to find."

"I guess I'm a little biased when I talk about supporting our crafters though- I know you have a lot of things to do near the front, especially compared to me." he said as he continued to scan around for the quest monster they were looking for without luck.  It was a big forest- or jungle more accurately- and they had a lot of ground to cover. 

Spoiler

Searching for Kumatetsu roll
ID# 134533
Loot die 4+2=6, fail

@Oscar

Edited by Benjamin Bookworm
Spoiler

ID: 134667 LD7 Fail

Oscar listened intently to the words of wisdom Benjamin was sharing with him. He hadn't really given that side of things much thought. He was all about helping crafters, especially those that set up shop in the formerly-abandoned Town of Beginnings. Benjamin had almost convinced Oscar to keep his Uncommons, but then a thought popped into his head. Merchants could also get experience from selling items from their General Stock. The epiphany hit him like a ton of bricks. As it sank in, Oscar scanned the area for their target. He came up nothing and quickly turned his attention back to his companion.

"I think you've finally given me something to spend all of this Col on. We have more than a few Merchants trying to get some momentum going. I think I'm going to pay them a visit later and buy a ton of items from their General Stock. I've certainly got the Col for it and I wager I can get more than a few of them maxed out."

• 4 weeks later...

Ben almost laughed out loud at that suggestion, a smile spreading across his face as he responded.  "Well, that's one way of getting them the XP they need.  I'm sure you'll find a lot of use from the items they have stocked too- especially for the items for finding and opening treasure chests it's always a good day when you find some perfect items it those and really cash in."

His smile was wide and genuine by now, remembering all the hard earned treasure chests he had looted throughout his quests for materials.  It was always a good time to find something useful to help everyone out with... but lately it's been feeling a lot emptier without friends by his side. 

"Hopefully this also means we find a lot more items to use in the upcoming floor boss battles.  Especially the 25th floor... a quarter of the way there.  It's just screaming for something bad to happen in that fight." he said with a worried tone as he looked around, still having no luck finding a trace of their quarry so far. 

Spoiler

Searching for Kumatetsu roll
ID# 135856
Loot die 5+2=7, fail

@Oscar

Spoiler

ID: 136327 LD9 Fail

"Yeah, about that." Truly, the rewards for finding treasure chests and the like were rather undertuned. So much so, in fact, that he couldn't imagine how they possibly made it out of Alpha, much less made it past the Beta testers. If Oscar could kill one enemy and score over twice the amount of Col that a Treasure Chest would reward, isn't there something fundamentally wrong with the system? "This game really hates non-combatants, Benjamin. Granted, a random Treasure Chest will reward more Col and resources than a Dungeon Chest, it's still a pitiful amount considering how rare they are."

Truth be told, Oscar was probably going to find himself on the Frontlines for this boss. The past 24 floors had not been without their casualties, but he couldn't help but admit that Benjamin had a point. It made a lot of sense for the difficulty to spike at such a milestone. If he were being absolutely honest, the thought made him nervous. Mind you, not nervous enough to do anything about it. But just enough to tickle his brain with anxiety.

"Lord I hope not. It would suck for us to lose a ton of Frontliners. We're still on the lower floors, comparatively speaking."

"Yea, that's why I've gotten into the game of refining as many crystals as I can for the next floor boss.  I've talked to a few of the front liners, and heard the tales, but it seems like there's very few of the crystals floating around for the battle." he said with a bit of pride as he pulled up his newest checklist.  "I've only gotten like 5 of the mass heal ones made so far, but I got plenty of the smaller crystals to give boosts throughout the fight.  And it'll be nice to know that even the smaller ones can help out."

As he talked, he continued to look around for the bear tracks, but they were hard to find.  Maybe he should have equipped some extra search skill items, but he was always overly cautious when it came to fighting.  "At least the good part is that I don't need a lot of col to craft these potions, just a LOT of time to get everything ready."

Spoiler

Roll ID# 136345
LD 7+2 = 9, fail

@Oscar

Spoiler

ID: 136349 LD7 Fail

"I've not really spoken to many Frontliners, but I know for a fact that I'm the only active Cook right now. So it kinda falls on me to make sure they're prepared with the buffs that I can bring to the table." Oscar's relationship in regards to the elite of Aincrad was a complicated one. On the one hand, he resented them for being so busy looking forward that they don't really help anyone catch up. But then he thought of people like Macradon that made a point to help the lowbies. At the end of the day, however, he couldn't very well let the Frontliners go into a fight without his assistance. There were certain buffs that only he could provide, after all. Though he harbored no small amount of resentment towards them, he knew that they were everyone's best shot of going home. He had to support that if nothing else. "I'll be on the Front this time. So let's make sure we do our best with the support work."

• 2 weeks later...

"Sounds like it's going to be a tough time getting everything ready with the crafter we have..." Ben started, before being distracted by something out in the woods.  "Huh, looks like something is out there-"

With a mighty crash, the path ahead of them opened up with a crash, as a tree fell forward across the path, knocked over by a large bear, stomping onto the path on its hind legs and letting out an angry roar as it treaded forward towards them.  "OK, looks like we found the big guy!" he shouted as he swung his dagger at the beast, jabbing it in the side and knocking it unsteady for a second as he leapt back to get some distance- his blow didn't even scratch the bear's HP.

"Switch!  Oscar, it's time for some damage!" he shouted as he let his partner have an opening, their previous conversation put aside for the heat of battle.  The best he was going to do was to was to stun and distract it for a bit while Oscar did the real damage for now.

Spoiler

Search for Kumatetsu
Roll ID# 137096
LD 18+2 = 20, Success!

Attack Roll - ID#137097 (Side Bite Sword Art)
BD - 9 + 1 - 2 (EVA) = 8  Target hit!
- 5 EN
Deals 1 damage
Enemy is STUNNED

Stats:

Benjamin: 
HP - 440 / 440
ENG - 39 / 44
Hate - 2

Oscar:
HP - 940 / 940
ENG - 92 / 92
Hate - 0

Kumatetsu:
HP: 299 / 300  <STUNNED>
DMG: 75   MIT: 50   ACC: 1   EVA: 2

miscalced damage/hate
Spoiler

[2]Oscar 940/940 HP | 81/92 EN [-11]| 16 DMG | 2 ACC | 3 EVA | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [Activates on BD8-10]
[1]Benjamin 440/440 HP | 39/44 EN | 3 DMG | 1 ACC | 3 EVA | 5 MIT

Screw Dimension[x13] vs Kumatetsu ID: 137098 BD4+2 Deal 158 DMG
Switch successful. Hate values swapped.

[STUNNED][BEAST FORM ACTIVATED]]Kumatetsu 141/300 HP [-158] | 100 DMG | 0 ACC | 2 [-2]EVA | 25 MIT

Oscar hadn't really been paying much attention when they had finally stumbled upon Kumatetsu. Thankfully, Benjamin was far more attentive to such things as he was. He honestly attributed it to the fact that there was nothing on this floor that could really put a dent in him other than the Monkey King and that thing was well behind them. Before he could even ready Chaos Eater, Benjamin had leaped into action. Through some deft maneuvering, he managed to score a stun on the creature. The attack didn't do much in the way of tangible damage, but stunning it made both of their lives a little easier. And then, Benjamin called for a Switch. Another good call. Best to have the bear focused on the dude with the most health. And so, Oscar rushed in. Chaos Eater sang as it carved through the air and sliced deep into the bear's flesh. An explosion of force rippled out, sending the mammoth creature skidding backwards. Thanks to the well-placed stun, even though Oscar was now highest on the Hate chart, there was no attack to deal with.

Unfortunately, this seemed to be one of the bosses that transformed once they reached a certain health threshold. Oscar watched as the creature doubled in size. Its fangs and claws elongated. What was just an ordinary bear was now a wall of sinew armed literally to the teeth. Oscar might have been intimidated if this was on one of the higher floors. Fortunately, he'd experienced more than he's share of real bosses. This barely registered as a threat. Oscar sighed as he thrust the butt of his axe into the ground and leaned against it. "So it's just an angry bear then?"

@Benjamin Bookworm

"I think it's a bit more than just an angry bear- that thing's a beast!" Ben shouted out shakily as he backed away.  Oscar had managed to take the enemy's attention, and didn't need any healing just yet, so he was pretty much out of the fight for now.  The boss monster couldn't be stunned again just yet, and still had way too much damage resistance for his attacks to hurt it. 

Plus, if he got another critical hit in, the now angrier bear would be trying to chow down on him.  And he did not have the defenses to soak those hits. 

"I've got healing and stuff ready if you need it- just move in for another big hit!  You can finish him!" he cheered, watching as Oscar took half the HP off of the stunned enemy in one blow.  If he hit with another attack like that, it would be over- but now the Kumatetsu was moving again, faster and stronger than before.  It might be a bit harder to land a solid blow this time around.  "I hope you can finish him..."

@Oscar

+ 1 EN
No attack action

Stats:

[2]Oscar 940/940 HP | 81/92 EN | 16 DMG | 2 ACC | 3 EVA | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [Activates on BD8-10] [Hate - 2]

[1]Benjamin 440/440 HP | 40/44 EN | 3 DMG | 1 ACC | 3 EVA | 5 MIT [Hate - 1]

Kumatetsu:
HP: 141 / 300  <STUN IMMUNE - 2 turns>
DMG: 100   MIT: 25   ACC: 0   EVA: 2

Spoiler

[2]Oscar 940/940 HP | 71/92 EN [-11]| 16 DMG | 2 ACC | 3 EVA | 61 MIT | 24 BLD [Activates on BD8-10]
[1]Benjamin 440/440 HP | 39/44 EN | 3 DMG | 1 ACC | 3 EVA | 5 MIT

Screw Dimension[x13] vs Kumatetsu ID: 137162 BD7+2-2 Deal 158 DMG

Kumatetsu 0/300 HP | 100 DMG | 0 ACC | 2 [-2]EVA | 25 MIT

Wisely, Benjamin elected not to take an action on his turn. This meant that the hate remained stable and that they wouldn't need to deal with Kumatetsu going crazy and attacking people at random. It was a good failsafe in case Oscar failed to follow through and bring the beast down this turn. He spooled up his Sword Art, running forward to close the distance between himself and the berserk bear. In one powerful stroke, Oscar's attack reduced Kumatetsu's health bar to zero. In an instant, the boss before them fractured and then shattered, the fragments carried away like dust on the wind. With the boss taken care of Oscar put away his weapon and crossed his arms. Clearly, Benjamin was more impressed with Kumatetsu than Oscar had been.

"I've literally fought a mountain. Honestly, if it wasn't a quest target, I wouldn't have known it was anything more than a normal bear."

@Benjamin Bookworm

Ben just kind of stared at the destruction of the bear in front of him, in awe at what just happened.  "That... you just took that thing down in two hits.  The bear that I couldn't even damage with how tough it was, and would eat someone my level in a couple of bites.  I don't know what to say about that except it was AWESOME!" he exclaimed. 

"Though, um, I guess that wraps the quest up early, doesn't it?  We found the bear, we killed the bear, and now we drink to celebrate.  Maybe with bear themed mugs.  I'm certainly ready to be the one buying if you're up for it." he said with a laugh, glad to be checking quests off of his list like that.  "Though I am surprised it didn't have any loot or anything- I guess it's just the quest rewards for us.  Plus all the delicious XP we're getting." he said, still high on the excitement from the fight as he pulled open his map to look up the quickest route back into town. 

@Oscar

Oscar really couldn't bring himself to correct Benjamin's assessment of their fallen foe. His excitement was infectious, even if it was a touch misguided. A bright smile crossed over Oscar's face as he rubbed the back of his neck. It wasn't that impressive. But I'm not gonna ruin the kid's fun. Honestly though, Benjamin had his attention at the word "drink." Oscar had yet to find a place that sold actual volatile alcohol. While he was never one to get absolutely sloshed, a buzz would help take the edge off of all this nonsense of being stuck in a death game. He pointed back the way they came. "It's pretty much just a straight shot back to town thataway. I spent a little time grinding on this floor. Just ahead, there's an orc encampment that's good for farming. Also, I do have a dungeon map if you wanted to live dangerously." Oscar wasn't exactly opposed to the thought of getting more bang for their buck on this outing when it came to experience, but he also didn't want to expose the boy to much unnecessary risk. Ultimately, the ball was in Benjamin's court.

@Benjamin Bookworm

Ben shivered when he heard about the dungeon map. "Yea, I don't think I want to do a dungeon at all.  I know some of the others players I party with would be worried about me if I took that kind of risk." he said with a dry chuckle as he put his map away again. 

"I'd be up to coming along to help farm some of the monsters on the floor though- and I can bring the heals so we can keep going through them fast." he agreed, excited to be going on a farming run.  He couldn't do them himself without any real weapon skills, so the influx of cor would be a welcome addition to his supply.  "Though I don't have very many other buffs to add right now- I'd have stocked up if I had known.  Um, maybe we could use a damage increasing potion to move quicker through the minions?" he asked, holding up the one type of buffing potion he thought to pack today and offered it to Oscar.

@Oscar