[Multifloor - PP] A Kiss to Build a Dream On

She jammed her index finger into his sternum, an act that didn't make him move so much as an inch. It was cute, really. Not that he'd say that to her out loud. 

“No funny business, but, uh-“ She was shifting. Nervous. “If you want to come in for something to drink, you can. I’ve got pop, hot chocolate, water....uh, milk.”  Milk. It was getting hard to hold back the laugh. The smile was impossible to hide, though. “You can have whatever I’ve got.”

He rose his hands, placing one on each of her broad shoulders, and looked into the cerulean pools of her eyes. "All I want is you." Wait a second. They had been here before. In Sanctuary, actually. He hadn't meant it in a sexual way when he said it back then, and he didn't now, either. Well, that was half true. "No funny business, though," he reassured her with a smirk, twisting the handle and beckoning her inside.

He immediately made his way to the space most familiar to him; the kitchen and living room hybrid. Strangely, he felt compelled to offer to cook them dinner, despite the meal they'd had no more than an hour before. Instead, he made his way to the couch and sat, patting the cushion beside him for her invitingly. Just as it had the first time he sat on it, and every time after that, the couch surprised him with just how comfortable it was. Warm, plush, and soft. It really wasn't a mystery at all why a woman like Lessa would have selected such a piece - it probably made her feel at ease and safe. Relaxed. Everything about Manderly seemed to ooze the same energy.

"You're really going to need to give me a crash course on the horses, by the way," he chuckled, mismatched eyes against finding the blue of hers as she approached. "A lot of the bravado earlier was faked. I don't know the first thing about horses," he admitted. "I kinda pretended to know more than I did. Not really sure why. Might have been a pride thing." Something he wouldn't have admitted to her earlier. But now that they'd made their feelings for one another known, he didn't feel the need to hold back. Total honesty - that's what they had promised to one another.

"Honestly, I think I can safely say that this is my favorite day I've spent in Aincrad. Not just because you said yes - though, that is the main reason." He settled back into his seat and loosened his tie. "It was just a really fun day. Thank you for spending it with me. Wouldn't have been the same without you."

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All I want is you. Red exploded across her face like a Fourth of July firework. And how could it not? When a man like that says a thing like that... well, Lessa was neither prepared for it nor accustomed to it. His words sent another explosion rocketing through her, but unlike the more complicated emotions he illicited, this response was easily recognized. Lust.

Lessa blew out a hard upward breath, sending her bangs flying as she slipped past him and into the safety of her own foyer. Unfortunately, the action did nothing to cool the embarrassment riding high on her cheeks. So she scrubbed furiously at her face with both hands as she followed him to the living room. The room was dimly lit, and held the chill of the night that seeped in through open windows. Frogs and crickets collaborated to produce the soundtrack she loved so dearly, an endless summer serenade she couldn’t get enough of.

Speaking of things she couldn’t get enough of, Lessa stood for a moment, simply admiring the way Bahr looked on her couch; long, muscular, and somewhat dangerous in the dark colors she wasn’t used to. Even after he patted the cushion, an obvious invitation, it took a moment for her to break the trance and climb into the spot beside him.

Riker, on the other hand, showed no hesitation. The wolf loped out of Lessa’s bedroom, and without pause, launched himself onto the couch’s remaining space. It was far too small for him, and he wedged his flustered master against her date as he plopped down, head in her lap, tail thumping rythmicly against a pillow. “Guess we have a chaperone,” she mused aloud, shifting some of her weight off of Bahr. Then, to Riker, she muttered, “You’re lucky you’re cute.”

Her gaze moved back to Bahr’s when he mentioned horses; few things captured Lessa’s attention so completely. “I’d be happy to teach you everything I know,” she assured him, and the thought warmed her right to the core. Was there anything better than sharing a passion with someone you cared about? “You handled yourself really well though. Honestly, I was really impressed. But we can practice whenever you want to.” She grinned up at him, and added, “I mean, I’ll probably be out there every single day.”

Lessa momentarily leaned into Bahr as she drew her legs up, then shoved them beneath the warm blob that was Riker. Her preferred sitting position was cross-legged, but that simply was not a possibility in her tight-fitting dress. As it was, the pillar of purple limited her movement on the couch. Should have changed, she thought, before his words drew her back. All thought of comfy clothes was forgotten as she buzzed with his praise.

”It was definitely my best day, too. You put so much thought into it, and I had the best time. I’ll never be able to explain how much it means to me.” Shyly, she ammended, “How much you mean to me.”

She was totally flushed. Scarlet kissed her cheeks as she leaned into him, heat emanating from her core and into him. He couldn't help but wonder what was going through her mind as she sat there, leaning against him, the heat of her body permeating the thin clothing that separated them. There were a few things that flashed through his mind. Though, none that he had the fortitude to voice out loud. 

"I guess it's a good thing I mean something to you," he responded coyly, shifting his frame to allow hers to fit against it more comfortably. "I think I'd be crushed if I wasn't." Then, he added, "You mean a lot to me, too. You're everything." Ah yes, the cheesy gibberish he'd managed to squeeze out earlier after he'd seen her in her dress for the first time. Her slender, violet dress. That slim, revealing column of color. The very same that she wore now, pressed up against him. God, help me.

Quick. Think of something clever.

"When do you think our next best day will be?" Nice. That's good. Keep going. "Probably when you take us on our next date." Very good. "I can't wait to see what tricks you've got up your sleeves. You're the smart one out of the two of us - I'm sure it'll knock me out of the park." Yes.

An arm snaked around her waist and pulled her closer into him as his chin came to a rest atop her head. "I don't need to leave, do I?"

"I guess it's a good thing I mean something to you. I think I'd be crushed if I wasn't."

If he didn't mean something to her? As if that were even possible. He'd rooted himself in every facet of her life, and so completely that it was difficult to remember life before him. It was even harder to imagine a future without him in it. 

"You're everything."
"You're everything."

Their voices wove together on the familiar words, and the laugh that escaped her held both embarrassment and pleasure. The emphasis, of course, was placed on the latter. "Maybe we're spending too much time together," she mused, "if we're starting to use the same lines." Absently, her hand found his in her lap; fingertips traced mindless designs across his knuckles. "Or," she amended after a moment, "it's a sign we need to spend more time together. You know, because we're on the same wavelength now. And that's, uh," she laughed again, though this sound was light and airy, "it's a good line. I like it, especially when it comes from you."

She let her eyes close, content to simply appreciate his nearness, before she answered his question. "There's no way I'm the smarter of the two of us, but yeah, I think I have a pretty good plan in the works. It can't top this, obviously - I don't think anything could - but it's fit to be a pretty good second-best-day."

It was a simple query, only seven simple words, but it sent a bolt of electricity through her. Still tingling, Lessa smiled. "You'll have to eventually," she murmured. "So will I. We can't just hide here forever." She turned into him, breathed in that scent that was uniquely Bahr. "But no, you don't have to leave right now. I don't want you to."

"But no, you don't have to leave right now. I don't want you to."

He held her closer.

"Good. I don't want to leave either," he admitted. His body was settling into the couch now, and the fatigue of the day was settling in as well. Before long he'd be glued there, unable to peel himself from its impossibly plush surface. "I'm definitely getting tired, though." Oh god. She was going to think he was trying to make a move. But was that even a bad thing? He had no idea. "Should we move to the bed?" Yeah, now she was definitely going to think he was making a move. Idiot.

He almost tried to explain himself, but he knew it would just make the situation worse. Instead, he shifted his weight and planted a soft kiss on her head, hoping it would convey what he meant. He just wanted to be close to her. No funny business, he'd promised her. He meant it.

"I'm serious. This is dangerous. I'm gonna be stuck here before too long," he chortled, resting his head against hers. As much as the thought of Bahr sprawled out over her couch, drooling idly into one of the pillows in whatever awkward position his body assembled itself into probably amused her, Bahr could feel that she desired that closeness, too. To fall asleep together, wake up together. The little things. It had, after all, been their one moment of solace amid the Sanctuary catastrophe. This time, there were no fights. No Dominick. No death. Just them. It was pure, and good.

He started shifting, gently, so that he could slowly bring himself to his feet. Much to Lessa's chagrin, he imagined, considering the small whimper that escaped her pouty lips as he shifted away from her. "Don't worry - it's temporary," he assured her, holding out a single hand to help her to her feet. And she did stand, albeit reluctantly, and before Bahr knew it he felt lost in her house for the first time. "I... don't actually think I've ever seen your room," he admitted. Not like she'd seen his, either. "You lead the way."

It was a simple question, and as he'd promised no funny business, a purely innocent one. So why did embarrassment wash over Lessa with the overwhelming strength of a title wave? She could practically feel the blush creeping from her head to her toes, some comedic visual out of a Looney Toons skit. Not good. Red and purple were totally not complimentary colors, and at the moment, she was a living canvas splashed with both.

"I-uh, yeah, we can," she managed, though she fought for each word. Hadn't she seen this coming? Hadn't a part of her hoped for this, invited this, when she'd ushered him into her house? It was true that where social interaction was concerned, Lessa was rustier than the decaying DeSoto Sportsman behind her uncle's barn. But at least some foundation existed, and she had some notion of what was expected of her.

This? This was new. These were uncharted waters, and she was quite certain that the corner of the map simply read "here be dragons". Alyssa's relationship history consisted of month-long stints with her brothers' friends, and they'd never even reached the proverbial second base. So Bahr, and the tempest of emotions that he evoked? Well, in short, she had no idea what the f*ck she was doing.

Suddenly desperate for comfort, Lessa snuggled closer at the same moment that Bahr found his feet. No more putting it off, she realized, her disappointment manifesting in a miserable whimper. They were doing this. Gently, she placed her hand in his, and allowed her best friend to tug her up from the couch.

"It's right through here," she told him, her voice only a half-step above a whisper. She led him down the hallway, and when they'd passed through the door at the end, she added a small wave. "Yeah, uh, here it is." Still spotless from the morning's thorough cleaning, the room boasted a simple, feminine charm. A patchwork quilt in Lessa's trademark pastels covered the bed, as did an assortment of pretty pillows. An ornate dresser occupied one side of the opposite wall, and a simple vanity with a padded stool inhabited the other. A tall fern in a cheery pot stood watch near the wall of glass; it was as close as Lessa could get to living on the water itself.

"Just, uh," make yourself comfortable? That's weird. "Wait, a sec, okay?" With no further warning, Lessa ducked into her small walk-in closet. Like the room itself, her privacy wasn't really necessary - she could easily change with the help of the system. But there was something relaxing about getting dressed the old-fashioned way, and the action allowed her a bit of time to settle. In fact, Lessa spent a few extra moments in the closet, simply focusing on her breathing.

It's Bahr, she finally convinced herself as she emerged in soft pink pants and a white tank-top. It's Bahr, so it'll be okay.

Don't be an idiot.

It was what he kept telling himself while Lessa hid in her closet.

Just don't be an idiot.

What else could he think? What else could he concentrate on? He'd used the system assist to get changed quickly, into something more comfortable than the slightly claustrophobic suit he'd been wearing before. There was little more he could do to distract himself. Simple black T-shirt, simple black shorts. Comfortable. But it hadn't lasted long, and then he still had time sitting idle. So he'd climbed into the bed.

And god, what a comfortable bed. And it smelled like her. This was where she put her head down every night. Every night, she laid here for hours. And what did she think about while she was laying there? Him? What did she dream about? Did he invade her dreams? Because when he was laying there at night, staring at his ceiling, unable to drift off, he thought about her. And when he finally did fall asleep, she was there. Almost always. Sometimes lingering in the peripheries of his vision, standing alongside him as he committed to whatever task was at hand. Sometimes - in fact, normally - she was the center of attention in his dreams. It was all about her, and learning more about her. Paying attention to the way she smiled, and how the light got caught in her eyes. Sometimes they were in Aincrad. Sometimes they weren't. Sometimes it was a good dream. Other times, it wasn't. But having her there mad the bad ones easier to weather. And having her there made the good ones even better.

Don't be an idiot.

And then she emerged, in a cute white tank top and pink pants. Every curve laid bare. Her perfect, golden hair hanging loose. Her blue eyes illuminated by the room's mellow glow. 

I'm gonna be an idiot, aren't I?

"Uhh... You look... Nice..."

Yup.

"I-I mean..."

Jesus. Say something. Something intelligible.

"Get over here."

Better, but you're still an idiot.

He motioned for her to join him in the bed, praying that he didn't do something while she was on her way to make the already awkward situation even more awkward. So she made her way over. Slowly, pensively. She seemed nervous. But he could swear that he caught a slight smirk in the pale glow that permeated the room. Somehow, her amusement over his floundering made it a bit easier to stomach. 

Before he knew it, she was there. Sharing the bed with him. And the scent of her became even more intense, seeping into his other senses. He could feel the softness of her skin as her arm brushed against his. Hear the air filling her small lungs. See her laying there, instead of simply imagining it. And as his arm instinctively wrapped itself around her and drew her nearer to him, the cocktail of sensations was magnified. Everything was her, and she was everything.

"You know," he started quietly, as his chest settled against her back. "This is a lot better than the last time. A lot more cuddly. We didn't get to do much of that in Sanctuary." As much as I wanted to. "Better circumstances, too, really. I'm impossibly happy right now."

• 2 weeks later...

"Get over here."

Of all the things Bahr might have said, this was just absurd enough to soothe her frayed nerves. While she was far from calm - was it even possible to be, with someone like Bahr in her bed? - she actually felt herself smile as she neared him. Just as she went to crawl onto the thick mattress, something large and fuzzy materialized against her leg. Despite being a massive wolf, Riker shook himself like a puppy, then gazed longingly up at the bed. 

"Not tonight," she breathed, reaching down to scratch the familiar between the ears. He gave a short huff of disappointment, but dutifully padded to his giant pillow in the corner. When Riker climbed into his bed, she did the same into hers.

"You're pretty demanding," she teased, propping herself up on an elbow to watch Bahr. "I'll remind you that this is my house you're in, buddy." The pale light softened every feature, providing an interesting contrast to the man she'd grown so familiar with. Perhaps it had been the night's argument, or the many unknowns hanging over their heads, but Bahr hadn't looked like this that night in Sanctuary. As the milky moon poured through the wide window, and bathed the man in it's brilliance, Lessa realized what it was that had changed - he looked vulnerable. And considering how vulnerable she felt, that fact only worked to relax her further.

She turned away, and within seconds of settling down, Bahr drew her against him. He surrounded her - his body, his scent, his warmth - and it would be so easy to simply give in and fall asleep. But as she lie there, his arm holding her firmly in place, a different weight entirely settled on her chest. The sensation mounted with each passing moment, until Lessa felt unable to draw in a full breath. In fact, she felt a bit like bursting.

It was there, heavy on her heart, and the words lined up neatly on her tongue. Yet when she rolled over, and her terrified gaze met his expectant one... she simply couldn't do it. Instead, Lessa gently pressed her hand to his cheek, and found his lips with her own. Lingering a few seconds longer than was probably necessary allowed her to organize her thoughts, but her heart still thundered as she drew away from him. "I can't explain how important today was, and I'll never forget it. I'll never forget that you did all of this for me. So thank you."

It wasn't everything, but for now, maybe it would be enough. Lessa turned over once more, closing her eyes to focus on nothing but Bahr's presence. She inhaled the cool forest air, expelled the words left unspoken, then slipped into a deep, dreamless sleep.

"I can't explain how important today was, and I'll never forget it. I'll never forget that you did all of this for me. So thank you."

It wasn't long after that that she drifted off. Bahr could only tell by how relaxed her posture had become. Still, he found himself awake, marveling at the situation he found himself in. Falling asleep with Lessa again. He hadn't stopped to appreciate it the last time. Every sense fired on all cylinders to deliver a perpetual concoction of endorphins to his cerebellum. Were he a fool, he'd consider it love. And maybe, just maybe, he was a fool.

Strange as it may sound, he didn't actually mind the fact that he couldn't fall asleep. It just gave him more time to enjoy this. Enjoy her. That's what the entire day had been about, really. Giving her what she wanted. Making her happy. Seeing her smile. Listening to her laugh. It's all he'd wanted. And now, as everything had fallen silent and the world had grown still, and he was left with just her essence, a part of him knew that this was it. Everything he'd ever wanted. The more ambitious parts of him pulled him in various other directions, but he was set here in this moment. Anchored by his heart. 

And there was nowhere he'd rather be.

So when the drowsiness came, he fought it. And when he found his eyes closed, they snapped open. But try as he might, he was too comfortable where he was to resist the Sand Man's charm for long. With time, he drifted off. Dreamed glorious dreams.

And in those dreams, he traveled the cosmos. Visited planets far and wide. Gas giants twice the size of Jupiter. Planets twice the size of Earth made out of pure diamond. Planets that absorbed all light, radiating only the glow that pulsed from their molten cores. And he saw stars. Ones like the Sun. Others red giants. And, yes, neutron stars, in all of their glory, one step away from collapsing into violent black holes. And he saw them, too. Tears in spacetime that broke down the natural laws, proving that nothing in the universe was constant.

But she was. She was there with him for all of it.

THREAD COMPLETE

Thread net gains:
Bahr
4 SP
600 col

Lessa
4 SP
600 col