[SP-17] Don't Underestimate a Nomad <<Challenge Of Olympus: Alchemist>> [Complete]

Hard at work, turning the rings on a vial carrier with squeaking twists.

Boiling liquid as low lit flame dances from underneath a glass sphere.

Reflective lenses hiding the eyes of an apothecary measuring, pouring, and grinding in a dim-lit interior.

*blip*

The sound scaring the hell out of him he drops a vial as it shatters in blue light and data. Raidou sighs and opens his HUD, silently crossing imaginary fingers hoping it was an awaited conversation...

[Quest Available!]

The goddess Demeter wishes to test your mettle alchemist, Prove your worth and receive the blessing of craftsmanship. Will you fail this challenge or rise to the occasion and become a real Alchemist?

[Quest Location: Floor 17]

[Do you accept?]

[Yes/No]

Raidou stares back at the quest info, at first going to just dismiss it.

Test your mettle

Fail

A real alchemist

Raidou began to interpret the reward for his hard work as an insult.

Edited by Raidou

"I'll show you, I'll show everyone...I am not worthless." Raidou remarks with an echo that bounces within his shop in its stillness.

Changing his clothes from his comfortable shop attire to his gear, locking plates to his left arm and slinging a sword to his back with a tightening belt across his midsection. Raidou tosses the red tapestry over his shoulder and pulls it tight to his neck.

*flutter*

"I accept your challenge Demeter... don't underestimate a hermit." with a clicking doorframe as the bolt secures behind him.

Traversing floor 3 through the fog, brilliant red leaking through the white fuzz Raidou takes careful steps around nametags of green.

Finding his way to the warp in a strange hopping behind signs carts and buildings Raidou makes it to the pad and stammers out in an aggressive and rapid shout.

"F-floor 17!"

A flash of blue light as reality is torn asunder, displacing him to floor 17.

Glimmer fades as sight returns to the red wanderer, surrounded by red limestone constructed in pillars carved into smoothed divots. Tiled brick of blood underfoot produces a solid *clack* with every step upon its surface. A prompt on arrival assails Raidou's vision:

[Welcome to Floor 17, Spartaia]

Sporadically Raidou begins to fan in front of his face in a few swift motions, trying to regain his vision quickly as he peers left and right as fast as his neck will allow.

"No one.... Good." Raidou whispers under his breath before he breaks into a full sprint to exit as fast as they will carry him.

Sliding between the marble columns deftly like a spider sticking his hands to each side he clings to them sliding his head around them. "No one here either..." Raidou mutters shifting down and down the steps in haste.

*clack*

*clack*

*clack*

Oozing himself into an empty barrel, popping up like a meercat to see if anyone had noticed him.

Edited by Raidou

"Coast is clear... Now or Never!" a silent warcry, Raidou tips the container on its side and slithers out keeping on the ground. Skittering like a rat from side to side Raidou manages to break the walls of the city into the comforts of the wild, vast spires of rock break the floor asunder to the clouds.

Beige colored from a distance, the path is clear as the mountains seemed to focal access to only a few directions.

Stones lose in jagged chunks underfoot, Raidou shuffled more than stepped as to not lose his footing. "Well, this is hell... jumping here would be a good way to break your spine." The floor seemed desolate and devoid of players, the field littered with boar and gleaming armor undisturbed. "Normally I have to hide more than this, what's up?" Raidou remarks with a soft whisper scanning the sharp stones with his gaze.

Edited by Raidou

Steps pass in vacuum, a few turns to many. Minutes to a couple of hours.

The path narrows to a fine point, Raidou glances to where it leads. Winding up the side of a grand mountain with its tip in a billowing white cloud.

Moving to meet him at the foot of the precipitous earthen spire, Raidou is halted by a large hulking figure. Brown fuzz comprising horse-like legs complete with a pair of hefty hooves, a manish frame in essence of pinkish-purple hue with a balded head equipped with horns of a ram. "You must be Raidou... Demeter...my mistress would have you be lead to the gates for the trial, Come... I'll see you into Mount Olympus." Heavy crashing, as the rotund frame connects to the soil with tufts of dispersed sand.

"Not one player or creature here, curious still." Raidou remarks following in tow matching his pace to this demonic-looking figure.

Edited by Raidou

An hours journey up the face of Mt. Olympus, a winding and treacherous path with varied pitfalls and crumbling earth. The satyr guides the swordsman "Watch your step, or It will be your last." It exclaims pointing to Raidou's feet, the stone falls free from the path with the softest of winds. In the distance purveying the depth of the descent a faint crash as it connects.

"We're here, watch your tongue or my mistress may remove it." The creature taunts with a chuckle, pressing its large meaty hands against a large gilded door with both hands.

The antechamber greets the red wanderer, a circular room littered with 7 chairs of varied altitude. "This boy...is my charge. Show me your mettle boy!" a soft-toned voice heard, spoken to 6 other gleaming shadows with lit eyes of assorted hue being the only feature expressed through formless black entities littered about the chamber.

Edited by Raidou

Like mist, the six left unspoken fades as the speaker drops from a pedestal and into the light filling the center from an opening above. A woman clearly, but elegant and extravagant clad with spirited orange clothes and a platinum otherworldly blonde mane. Glowing jade eyes that seemingly pierce his chest with its gaze. 

"What would you have me do to prove my ability, dragging me all the way out here." Raidou spat with a subtle yet noticeable fire

"I would have you hone your craft, show me what you can do."

Raidou looks to her in disbelief "I didn't exactly pack the building and bring it with me, So how am I supposed..." he remarks at the prospect but the reply cut short with a louder voice.

"No matter, a trifle issue now, a presentation, please. Craft for me Heart of Achilles. At your feet is everything you need but be warned that only one of this massive pile is correct, prove to me you can see the difference and then can use this to do what I ask and color your test fulfilled."

Edited by Raidou

A wave of flawless peach skin, a gold glimmer falling from the tips of her fingers as the center circle begins to grow with a strange patch of orange plantlife. The side of the circle materializes a sectional rounded countertop littered with alchemical gear, not unlike his own minus the gilded gaudy trim on each device. "Fine... I'll complete your task, but then you acknowledge my ability." The phrase shot from the swordsman, enraged with the kilns beneath his lenses lit. 

Removing his cloak from his shoulders to mimic his environment he's comfortable working in and an echoing voice filled the room.

"Good then show me." Demeter chuckled taking to her seat with crossed legs eagerly watching the show.

Leaning down, knees to the floor he began to snap and pick away.

They all look the same.

Only one...is correct

Digging and pulling each aught of use, Raidou tried to spot the difference between them but wasn't seeing it.

Edited by Raidou

Taking a gamble and just taking one to the station, Raidou begins to grind and boil. Dropping the mixture into the alembic as it refracts and begins to condense like it has a dozen times before.

This is my domain, all I need to do...

The mixture began to turn black...

"Tsk...Tsk.... You've chosen poorly, and the price..."

The alembic produces an ichor, before it explodes in a hail of fire and glass

[Raidou takes 154 Damage!]

Raidou: HP 306/460

Raidou scoffed and patted out the flames adorning his shoulders.

This is serious!

"Then I'll just slow down, taking each under scope until I find the real one." Raidou whispered.

"Will you now? the second verse begins: you must find the real one before I do, how much time do you have to squander now?" Demeter taunted to get a rise from the inferior boy and boost her ego. "I've given you a head start to offset the difference in ability, One ahead of me now I will show you a true body in tune with nature!"

Dropping from the throne and she started grazing the field with a rod in her hand escalating the game.

Edited by Raidou

Crap...time to step up my game then...

A thought in action, Raidou returns to the field of orange mirroring Demeter and bows to the soil riving through each piece of vegetation scanning for the true instance.

Demeter's staff stops with a glowing tip, she leans down and pulls up a plant. "Ah, a misread no matter, the clock ticks down... will you complete my challenge or will your tombstone adorn this chamber?" tossing it over her shoulder with a pop.

The pressure sets in, haunting Raidou as he takes another gamble with a bulb with a face. Dragging himself to the station once again and starting the brew "Have you found it... Let's see?" a taunt from his back.

At first, the mixture starts to boil in a composite amber before it sours to black and goes off like a time bomb.

[Raidou takes 153 Damage!]

Raidou: HP 153/460

"Seems you've failed again boy...The last mistake looks to be your last...Chose wisely" Demeter cackles with hand raised to a beautiful but grim smile.

Edited by Raidou

"This brew, what is it supposed to do?" Raidou shouts out fanning out the burns from his chest. "It magnifies the strength of gods, the plants at your feet are the cultivated souls of those who have lost in the past. It does nothing for mortals, the plants you pick are the graves of those who have fallen before you. Will you be worth brewing into such a draught or be just another that fails to become refined?" A bit of sickness mills in his stomach...

Raidou rebuttals "This many people failed this task and paid with their lives?"

The thought was a grimace one, this couldn't possibly be true in a game.

"If this is true, then none of these are correct..." Raidou remarks in disbelief.

"Do not think me a cheat, this gauntlet is true... One soul amongst this lot is worth ascending to sustain the gods." A glare from the god with sharpened green eyes, glinting in the low light.

Edited by Raidou

"You've told me that one in this mess will succeed, and you claim to be standing with me on equal footing in this endeavor and yet you use sorcery instead of intuition and guile to traverse these souls of the lost. I have little faith that this does not give you an advantage I do not savor." Raidou remarks leading her on.

"This is no different then your abilities, but if it will give you peace of mind I will stop using this tool for it is my capacity who is at use here and I would not you believe you were bested on unstable ground." Demeter spat back at the notions

Good keep talking and give me time to think...

"What else swordsman, are you done flailing your tongue and just admit your failure and join the lost?" her rage peeking through under an elegant disguise.

"Let me just write this down, If you'd allow me this final blessing. Your highness."

Demeter was playing into a hand, a hand she may well lose when the boy had time to analyze the parameters.

"Do what you will, I'll put the test on pause, ask and I will answer. I want you do understand the gravity of the arrogance when you chose to climb the face of this mountain. It would have been wise to be humbled by my request and decline." Demeter chuckled as it appeared she had broken his will.

Scrolling the pages with false etching, using his fingernail to simulate the sounds as he poured through his notes.

"So I take it, by amplify strength you mean increasing attack power and by sustain I assume some kind of healing?"

"No this draught is not simplified as such, trying to put mortal terms to the liquid would do it justice. It gives us years on our life, the blood of heroes keeps us young and powerful."

Edited by Raidou

The pages scrolled in fervor, each complemented with a counterfeit scrawling to fool Demeter into thinking the red wanderer was chronicling the saga.

"So it extends your lifespan, you drink the lifeblood of these people to sustain your own like a vampire?"

Demeter's anger flared with a warning "Do not lump us in with such drabble boy or this explanation of your fate is sealed." Continued with a venomous explanation "A test of wills, those that are prideful enough to face us and fall become the hero they were meant to be with time and growth and become one with us through consumption."

Heroes they were meant to be...

A small whisper in the gilded hall "A convincing argument..." Raidou let echo as he continued to fake the interview. Peering over the small black-bound book in his grasp to the patch, thinking and pondering a way out of this mess. Shifting to an earlier page from time long past, the pages fall silent in turn.

Raidou found something, small from the past contained within from when he completed Earning a living.

The quest materials couldn’t be destroyed when I failed.

Taking the gambit Raidou began to tear and remove the herbs in a frenetic display of destruction

“What are you doing? This will not aid you, you cannot brute force your way through this you have but one attempt left.” A dagger shot in confusion from the almighty

Dividing each in an impressive display of rupture, no rime or reason to the action but him.

“I am not using these, the challenge is over…” Raidou remarks standing over the pile condensed as all the possible choices stacked in a final condensed unit.

“So you’ve managed to move them all to one point, creating a simple needle in a haystack this will not benefit your effort all you managed to do is look a fool.”

A fool….

You think I a fool, that underestimation will be your folly serpent...

Pocketing the book and unsheathing the black star, Raidou cleaves into them, crashing into the pile in a show of aggression. “The souls of the fallen are not yours to claim.” The ocean shatters into data, fragmenting with blinding lights as each is destroyed with an audible pop like a chorus.

All but one…

“For you see, Demeter in my notes, quest items cannot be destroyed like standard materials. While doing earning a living I continued to destroy the materials I had until I had one left, and I couldn’t destroy it no matter how much I failed.” Raidou explains leaning down and withdrawing the singular one from the white tile. “So this is the true one.” the orange leaves looking no different than the others “You claim fairness, but this was rigged from the beginning.”

Raidou sheathed his blade with a flurry, kicking the flat of the blade and a shower of sparks up his left arm to help him get it raised.

Edited by Raidou

Moving to the station before she can react he scrambles through each piece and brews the draught she requested. Turning pestle to a grind, a few drops of fluid its comprised in a blinding flash of heat and sweat.

With completion, it’s bottled with a *plunk* as the stopper is inserted as Raidou rips it free from the station and holds it overhead. A dark gold liquid sloshes from its interior thin and diffused flowing easily, gleaming in the light pouring in from the roof above.

Demeter extends a hand “You’ve done it, give it to me…” pausing with a step forward “Give me the vial and your free to leave.”

Retracting the vial closer to his frame with a furious glare will not forfeit his leverage “First the door...” Raidou shouts exerting said leverage to sway things in his favor.

You will not best me, I know what your planning and I have what you want.

Edited by Raidou

Her attentions shift and Demeter gives a subtle nod to the satyr manning the double ivory doors trapping the swordsman in this battle to the death. The creature nods in compliance and pushes the heavy doors open with heavy hands and a bit of struggle. The light from the sun poured through the opening on completion.

“Give me what you promised, acknowledge my abilities.” Raidou scowls at her. “I am no fool, retract your words.”

“You are truly a finely sharpened mind, simply removing possibility until there was but one answer.” Demeter reluctantly lets the words slip from her before a wave of her hand produces a small gaudy bowl of sorts “This will help you tune your mind and make construction easier, a trade for the draught and promise of safe passage.”

Raidou approaches in a charade of compliance with each clattering step in the vacuum of sound before he looks up to the god and replies with clenched teeth “You first…”

Extending Demeter’s Cauldron to Raidou’s grasp a hand hoping to exchange for what she sought.

Raidou takes it from her. Demeter pleads with him “Now boy, the draught my end of the bargain has been fulfilled.” hoping to receive this object from him having lost her stock of maturing life’s blood.

“The way I see it, you are no more than a vampire feasting on the weak...I am no idiot, I don’t believe you ever intended for me to leave this place...and the challenge was to complete the draught, not give it to you.” Raidou adjusts the glasses on his nose shields the fire in his eyes and his intentions.

“NO!” her voice booms in a vast echo in the hall, the glass shatters to the floor allowing the liquid to escape its vessel, oozing through cracks in the tile its comprised of. Raidou had eliminated every unit of this sustaining fluid an although this was a game and she could essentially live on forever, he had robbed her of the satisfaction of his craft and heavily impeded its manufacture. 

Raidou flees, retrieving his cloak from the floor in a slide as he escapes. The satyr begin took the doors ridges and began to pull as quickly as he could in attempts to catch the rat in his tomb. Raidou slides underneath large hooved appendages as the doors slam shut behind him in an attempt to prevent his evacuation. Looking over his shoulder as the walls thunder under muffled orders behind the closed doors. His escape has been made with a golden idol clenched in hand. Ascending the stairs of Spartaia, Raidou looks back with a fire in his belly.

I’m no fool, and I’ll prove it.

A flash of a gate, traversing a forest of mist a red cloak blaring through the visage. The ring of a bell, a door swung ajar then closes the enclosure to prying eyes. A small glimmering relic ripped from the hands of a god, as were her aspirations and his capability placed on a shelf in a musky dusty interior littered with alchemical formula drafted on sheets of parchment in a cluttered mess to collect the same dust in a tomb of its own.