[PP|F4] He who bears the crown <<The Night’s King>>

Dustin had been sitting in the cold for hours. He felt like a lost boy in a town of people trying to push him through the floor. Nothing kept him company but the biting chill of a wintery floor he had stayed on every night for the past few weeks. He would wake up, go home and feed his slimes and then come back up to floor four and waste away on a bench until it was time to go to sleep. It was his prison. This floor felt like hell and he felt like he deserved it.

Anymore he had trouble looking at his guild list. They all must hate him after what he did, and he understood. That’s why he had let himself go over the past few weeks. He hadn’t bought a single snack since that final strike. He would eat nothing but bread for the next few days and then crackers after that. The only thing he would drink was water from the field and that was only because his mouth was so dry from the crackers. You put yourself here, you deserve all of this. He berated himself in his mind as he stared off into space.

One day the chill that ran down his spine felt different. He felt like there were eyes on him, and not the ones he saw. He could feel someone staring a hole through his back, and not a drop of kindness in the daggers from their eyes. It was a new feeling. He had to move, away from that bench.

He opens his menu and it moves to the last viewed page... a message he had planned to send to his guild leader. He changed the whole thing, before sending it and standing up from the bench and turning around to see if he could spot someone familiar.

Nothing out of the ordinary spoke to him, but he still felt uneasy so he walked to the teleport gate to see if his guild leader had gotten his message.

[message]

Spoiler

To: @Stryder

Hey, I wanted to know if you’d heard about the night’s king quest, and if you have, wanna take him on with me?

• 2 weeks later...

He was just finishing breakfast... Jinx was asleep in her room, he had woken up early. He knew how much she loved food, and he wanted to make her happy... It was only a few days until they went off for the quest afterall, may as well do whatever he could to shift her to his favor. He had eggs, toast, and some salad. It was a basic breakfast, but, it should be nice and refreshing. It took awhile, but once it was done he walked over to her room, knocking on the door.  "I made you breakfast, is it okay if i come in?" He asks. After a few moments, or a minute, howeverlong it took, he heard her mumble back 'FOOD'. Of course she loved food... He opened it up, seeing the cute pink haired girl sitting up, blanket over her body, wiping her eyes. He simply smiled, walking over to the table next to her bed, putting the tray down. It was then that he heard the ding, and saw a message had appeared. Nights King Quest... Huh. He hadn't actually done that one before, or heard much about it, though he knew it was on the fourth floor. His reply was quick.

Spoiler

To: @Dustin

Sure thing, i'l be there soon. Fourth floor right? I'l find ya

"Seems i gotta go, have a good day, and stay safe alright?" He says to her, patting her head softly before walking out, closing the door behind her. He walked over to his room, taking off his morning clothes and putting on his gear. Jacket, coat, hoodie, gloves, armor. He looked at his familiar, giving her a little pat on the head before heading out with her, leaving the floor he had his home on, and heading straight down to the fourth floor. And he was met with Dustins face right hwen he warped down.

"Wow, didn't expect you to be right here. Its been awhile, how you been?"

Dustin watched as his guild leader materialized right in front of him, but he didn’t really see it. His eyes were practically staring through him when he asked his question. Dustin looked up at Stryder, right in the eyes and yet, all he saw was Greil.

“I’m good, how are you?”

Dustin looks back at the ground and turns around. His body had felt heavy ever since that day despite eating the bare minimum to survive. He had thought he knew the cost, and for the most part, he had... but he thought he could afford it.

His mind kept playing that night on repeat. It was fuzzy for the most part, but he knew what he did. He would watch the final moments on repeat everywhere he looked. As his guild leader stepped down, Dustin felt the eyes on him again. He felt uneasy, and he was hoping that his guild leader would feel it too.

The boy used to be filled with such life, and youthful vigor. Now he was empty.