[PP-F1] Two Brothers (Cain, Able) <<The First Few Lessons Are Free>>

The sun felt nice, that was for sure. Able hadn’t done much exploring sense the game had started. It was hard to believe it had been two years. Two year had been spent cowering on the first floor. Two years had been spent in depression and sorrow at the prospect of his mother waiting for both Able and Cain to come home but never doing so. It was a rough time for him, after all he couldn’t even bring himself to be useful which just made everything worse. 

Now will be different he told himself in his mind I will venture out of this town and conquer this game! I cant let all this sadness stop me forever, and now feels like as good a time as any to get out there and make this life mine. After all this game can’t be too hard right? It is not like they expect us to fail otherwise they wouldn’t have given us a goal. Now all I have to do is get to a high enough level that I can assist the players on the frontlines. That won’t be too hard. If they could get there I can too, the only thing stopping me is myself. I should probably get Cain to come and help me though. This will be much more enjoyable if I have my brother with me.

Able opened his HUD to write a message to Cain, he had originally attempted to write the message in Japanese but after a few failed attempts decided to just use English. Able could read, understand and speak Japanese just fine but for some reason he had a hard time any time he attempted to write in it.

To: Cain

--------------------------------------------------------

Hey Cain,

I think it is time the two of us started our journey in this world. I think we have waited long enough. I will be waiting by the teleporter pad on floor one. I have heard that there is a group of starter quests near here and I would appreciate the help ;)

Now all I need to do is sit and wait, then we can get started on making our way to the frontlines. I wonder what is like to be on the frontlines…

@Cain

Even though the entire prospect of the game was depressing, Cain thought the design and landscape was beautiful. He'd spent the last two years roaming, thinking to himself that since all of his real world responsibilities were now theoretically gone, creeping melancholia stood over him in his search for something to do with himself. The past two years had been a pain wishing he could see his old friends, his family, anybody that he actually knew before everything took over with a name tag and statistics. 

"There has to be something I can do about this game, everything is too perfect on the outside, even with the monsters roaming around and everything, there has to be a way to beat all of this. I don't know how many people have passed already due to this horrid game, but I cannot allow myself to join them, there are too many people counting on me to come back out of this." he thought to himself before a message notification popped up next to him, quickly opening it and smiling, "Ah, good ol Abel... maybe I do have a way to fix this."

Cain quickly started typing up a message after finishing reading Abel's, checking his directions and facing back towards the teleporter pad before walking and typing.

To: Abel

Abel, 

We've been here for far too long, it's time we actually got anything done around here for ourselves. I will be there soon enough, maybe those quests will help us get somewhere quickly. 

As Cain walked, he could only think to himself, "I can only hope this goes well, not like we have any other way out."

There was a ping as a message popped up in front of Able. Reading it Abel smiled. I am glad that Cain seems so eager to join me. It has been a little while sense we have done anything together. We are brothers after all, we should be sticking together in this death game we are a part of. It is going to be nice to have him with me, though I wonder what it would take to get to the top of the charts. On that topic I wonder if there is a chart, it isn’t hard to think that there would be some type of a score board. Though it may be hard to find… what floor are we too anyway? Its 24, right? It is crazy that we have been here for two years and haven’t gotten any farther than 24. Maybe Cain and I will be able to push the line forward, though it is going to take a lot of work to get there. Perhaps I am getting too ambitious with these plans of frontlines. It is always better to set a small goal. I’ll start with being able to partake in combat on floor 11. That wont be too hard.

Able saw a shimmer as the teleporter activated, there before him stood a blond-haired man, someone he both knew very well and didn’t know at all. There he is, now to get this show on the road. We have a lot of work to do.

Cain! It is good to see you bro. How have you been holding up? I think one of the beginner quests is around here. Let’s party up and work our ways to the top!

Able reached his hand forward to give his brother an affirmative handshake and then invited Cain to join his party.

@Cain

Appearance

Spoiler

Able.png.7483006d440f809b97b0646b92914549.png

Cain chuckled for a second before shaking Abel's hand firmly, "It's good to see you brother, this shouldn't take us too long to complete, but judging by the others that have stayed behind as well, there's no helping but to worry about what will happen to them as well if they choose not to go." Cain looked around in a 360 degree before back to Abel with a more stern look, "If this place was real, and much safer, I think these people would have a good chance of surviving here on their own and making a new life, but given the nature of the situation, what will happen to them if they choose to stay? I've heard of some that have simply given up on life now that it's been so long in this game with so little progress, they simply don't care if they make it out of here anymore."

He reached out and put his arm around Abel's shoulders as he talked a bit quieter, "I understand how this will sound, knowing how we both are brother, but if we are at all able to help these people get out of here alive and back to their families, we must put ourselves first, the more people able to get to the front lines and push farther up the floors, the better chance we can get us and everyone else back to our families and lives. Please Abel, put my words to thought and try to be careful with yourself, I do not need to lose my brother to this lame excuse at playing god."

As he let go, Cain gave a playful punch to Abel's shoulder and smiled. "Now, let's make up for lost time and get things done."

@Abel

Edited by Cain
3 hours of sleep makes me forget my own character

I think they all have the chance to get out of here, I am sure that if they found the courage, they could do great things! I am more worries about the children though, so many of them didn’t know what they were getting into… I mean we didn’t either but even less so.

Abel smiled innocently at Cain, then he mentioned that some players had decided to give up

They didn’t give up any more than we did, maybe they just need a push in the right direction, someone to show them that there is still hope. Not everyone has a sibling with them they can rely on.

I didn’t realize Cain was so concerned for the players on this floor. Maybe it will be good to get leveled up so that he knows that we have a chance and if we can do it anyone can, right? It’s no different then when I started with the track and field team in Massachusetts, all of the new guys were intimidated but after one of us started to improve we realized that we really could do this, and we started cheering each other on. We made it a competition at that!

Then Cain got in close to Abel’s ear, Abel bent over so that it was easier for Cain to get his arm around Abel’s broad shoulders. Abel sighed

Yeah, I know we need to preserve our own life’s but you know how hard it is for me to leave someone in need. It just doesn’t sit right. I mean, I got hospitalized for hypothermia when Ol’ Man Braddok passed out in the freezing rain. I carried that man from the beach all the way to the hospital. By the time I got there I had already lost all feeling in my hands and feet. I’ll do my best to put myself first, but I can’t make any promises.

The world is a better place when we don’t put ourselves first. It makes life better for everyone! I can see why he is concerned though; it is hard to help them if we don’t level up.

Well I think its this way… though maybe you should take the lead, I am pretty bad at directions. Abel smiled and put his had on the back of his head in slight embarrassment

@Cain

Cain nodded and looked back to the gates, scratching his chin, "Thank you brother, i definitely know how it feels. You're right, we need to give them something for motivation but it will be costly in time, I'd like to get people motivated as soon as possible to lower that risk of more lost players." Cain smiled softly, looking at Abel. "You're a good person Abel, you've done a lot of good for people from what I've seen and heard and your reputation and good character really shows. Everyone has their own motivation and I know yours is noble, we just have to work fast and efficient, even at some cost." 

Cain shifted his sheath and armor to get more comfortable and started off to the north, adjusting his hair out of his eyes. 

"Let's get a layout of the area, we'll have to ask someone, or just maybe one will come across us, I'd like to see where my luck lands today." he says before chuckling to himself

As he walked forward, he was worried a bit in his thoughts thinking to himself, "I know Abel is strong but I don't want him to get hurt, definitely not in my defense. We're a better team together but i have to make sure nobody plays hero, we and anyone we meet need to look after each other. This place is a good place to live but no place to die, I'm glad he agrees this much already, we can do this."

Once more he looked over his shoulder then waved over, "Come on Abel, we've got this in the bag."

@Abel