[PP-F02] Things that go 'Bump' in the day

Mari had just parted ways with Gaius; a crude and cruel man on the surface, but parts of him showed some semblance of humanity. All the orange haired woman wanted to do was complete the quest quickly. Instead she, out of guilt, allowed the man to follow her - he had challenged her to a duel, and insisted on her accepting it. Mari knew a single blow wouldn't kill him, but her bleed damage?

Her eyebrows furrowed. It...scared her. She had been so close to unwittingly adding a name to the monument. All because she thought she'd entertain him - she should have walked away. She shouldn't have let him rile her up. Just what would Macradon think? Or Alkor? 

'If he ever thought anything of me at all'

Right...she should stop dwelling on the stoic man. She had to keep distancing herself. It was heartbreaking to loose him, not just because his past actions were in part, false - but because she was deathly afraid of loosing him from her life completely, even as a friend. She knew he'd be the type of person to draw away completely. That...thought terrified her. But what could she do? If he didn't want to talk to her - she'd have to respect that. And, in part, isn't that just a part of who he is? Someone who struggled to open up to others, who enjoyed their solitude. That was okay. She'd be okay if it were intermittent...but loosing him completely?

Mari didn't want to think about that.

As the ginger haired woman stepped out of the Forest of Wavering Mist -Mari held up the pendant <<Hoya of Minos>>, the drop from the Minotaur beast.. It glimmered in the sunlight - a beautiful white opal in the shape of a teardrop.  "To give to someone as a gift...hah..." Mari sighed as she lowered her arm. The pendant still swung gently with her movements, light bouncing off the smooth surface of the opal. She doubted she'd ever have someone to give it to.

Since she was on the floor; Mari thought she'd visit the site of her daughters grave - clean it up  a bit before retreating back away to a cave to sleep for the night. It was a different section of forest; one Mari would have to loop around the town for ; it'd be a long walk - but she had no more current plans. So down the path she went; toward the town of Delilah.

@Raina

MARI LV 51  | HP 1070 | ENERGY 104
DAM:  11 | EVA 3  | MIT 25 | ACC 4 | 

EQUIPPED
Kusanagi  +2 DAM + 2 BLEED  | Beacon Necklace: +3 ACC  | Infernal Shadow T3 +2 EVA +1 Flame Aura

Rank 5 Dagger
Rank 5 Charge
Rank 5 Light Armour
Bull Rush
Survival
Precision
Athletics
Sprint/Acrobatics

Edited by Mari

The sounds of heels clacking against the cobblestone rang through floor two. A wave of iridescent pink hair, not unlike the pink hues of the daily sunset flowed through the floor, following a streak of pure, angelic white. Raina was late, really late. She really wanted to start her training early today. She needed to get stronger, her level was no where near to the crimson haired man in her life. Atzo was so important to her, the absolute best thing in her life. The reason for her to get out of bed in the morning and end this death game, so they could have a real life together, not that they have not enjoyed their time together already. He was the reason she had the power to fight. the power to defend the ones who could not.

She was panicking as she moved through the city at an intense speed. If she could not even be bothered to wake up early enough to train, then how could she expect to get strong enough to handle herself? Raina was definitely a sight to behold, a short but curvy young woman, with eyes the color of a deep crimson wine. A voluptuous young woman akin to a princess in an anime, someone with an air of angelic kindness that seemed to just radiate off of her. 

She traveled towards the Forest of Unwavering Mist, determined to get as much training in as she could. Her mind was still on her beloved as she traveled, a problem she always seemed to have in a noncombat situation, and she did not notice the orange haired player in front of her. Raina smacked straight into her, sending her falling on her butt. She landed with a audible thud, and she placed her hand on the back of her head as her face lit up a deep scarlet. "Owies!" She called out as she landed. " I am so so sorry. I was not looking where I was going. Please forgive me." She said as she opened her eyes and noticed the player, and the orange player icon above her. "Eeeeep." she continued as she noticed the color. Had she just angered an orange player? 

@Mari

'wompf'

Mari felt something soft press into her shoulder before bouncing off. The ginger haired woman blinked. It was an unexpected and odd sensation

what in the....?

She stared down at the pink haired woman below her; who was rubbing her head, cheeks flushed a soft rose-hue with embarrassment. Crimson eyes fluttered from Mari, to her marker then to the floor, then back to Mari. her lips quivered as she quickly apologized. She also looked like she was wearing a wedding dress? Or something very similar to that, layers of white floral lace surrounded her in a halo of thick material that quite honestly, looked as uncomfortable as f**k.

The heck is this? Some shoujin anime? Is she cosplaying?

Mari glanced around; half expecting some teenager with toast in her mouth to come barreling around some unseen corner. "You're alone?" Mari asked as sh tilted her head to the side, tugging on a strand of her hair. "The hell are you apologizing for?" Mari noticed the other girl flinch. oops She looked like she was barely out of High School, and Mari had just snapped at her, great job at being the adult in the situation. Mari drew in a deep breath, shoulders rising with a sigh as she exhaled. She was still riled up from her run in with Gaius. 

"I mean to say..." Mari began, her tone softer. "That you have no reason to apologize, it's not like you bumped into me on purpose." Mari extended a hand out toward the fallen girl. "Do you need help getting up?"  She'd extend that olive branch, offer help, try not to be too abrasive. It was clear the other was startled. Mari was hesitant to provide her name; it often went one of two ways, one - they didn't know who she was, or two - they immediately recognized it both from the monument of life and the rumours of 'The Pink Pker' of course...Mari no longer had pink hair, her armour no longer tipped with thorns.

If anything, she looked far from it. Wearing nothing more than a tight fitted black V-neck shirt, and dark denim shorts with black boots. Mari was dressed casually, even to Aincrads standards. She felt comfortable in her day-to-day clothes. They made her feel more human. They distanced herself from a past she wanted to make amends for. The only hint of war that was upon her was the dagger attached to her hip, its crimson blade glinting in the early afternoon sun.  And if one were to look closely, her harness; which looked like lava would pour from the cracks in the leather. 

Finally, after moments of silence, Mari gave it.

"I'm Mari, just Mari."

@Raina

Edited by Mari

Raina's eyes finally looked upon the face of the girl she ran into. She was cute, someone who really did not appear to look like an orange player, she expected them to be a little scarier looking. "Maybe she did not have a choice?" She thought to herself. The girl appeared to worry if she was alone or not and it really made Raina feel kind of warm inside. It has been a while since someone other than Atzo cared for it. It was nice. The girl continued to comment about her not needing to apologize. She was taken aback by the way she first commented on it, but the girl seemed to soften up almost immediately.  

"I.. I guess I am. I was heading into the forest to train. My boyfriend is more then twice my level so I really wanna catch up, and  I may of not bumped into you on purpose.. but I definitely was not paying attention. So it was kind of my fault." She wiped the hair out of her face before accepting the girl's hand to help her up. "You are so sweet, sorry if I seemed a little nervous at first. I... I have not met any orange players before. I will be honest, it made me a little nervous at first. I hope.. I did not offend you." Raina said as she fidgeted with her hair a little. The girl proceeded to say her name was Mari and Raina's face instantly lit up with a smile. "How cute. Oh sorry! I can be a spaz sometimes and just say the first thing to pop up in my mind. My name is Raina. It is a please to meet you, Mari." She said with a bright angelic smile. 

@Mari

Mari hauled the other girl up and took a step back to give some distance between them. "In there? Alone?" Mari asked incredulously as she raised an eyebrow. "I suppose...it's relatively safe." She said as she glanced over her shoulder back at the Forest, watching the mists roll out of the treeline - it was beautiful in a way. "I did just get back from fighting a Minotaur in there."  If it were a competent player Mari wouldn't have given it a second thought. But this girl seemed a little.... what was the word? Mari shifted her blue eyes back to the pinkette before her. 

Air-headed and Naive

Yeh, that's what this girl was.  "You should be nervous though." Mari said as she crossed her arms over her chest and shifted her weight to one side. "Honestly, more people should be wary of orange players. It's alarming to see people act so nonchalant over them. Whilst..." Mari paused as her gaze lowered to the ground. "Whilst... I understand circumstances are different, and its best not to judge so rashly, isn't it important to value your life? There is no reason for me to take offence to that caution." Mari asked Raina as she lifted her gaze to meet with wide, innocent crimson orbs. Mari knew she was an outcast, and she was ok with that, but lately, people like this Raina girl, and like Gaius - they worried her.  Had Mari been gone that long? Just a few years ago Pkers were treated with nothing but bitterness and ire - and rightfully so. Now, she was being treated like any other person, and whilst that...made her feel a little better about herself, it worried her. Were Pkers that common? Were people desensitized to them?

"You are so sweet"

"What?" Mari's arms loosened at the compliment, did this girl just call her sweet? Mari felt flustered, she quickly turned her head away from Raina, "N-no. I'm really not." She mumbled. Raina would definitely not be saying that if she had spent any more than an hour with Mari. "Y-you should focus more on yourself than others." Came another snappy response from the freckled ginger.

Mari angled her face back toward Raina. "Did you even bring any consumables? A teleport stone? Or did you plan to just wander into a misty forest in hopes of leveling up?"

@Raina

Edited by Mari

"In there, alone? I suppose it's relatively safe."  The words echoed through Raina's mind. Had she not realized the strength of the enemies there. She unsheathed her rapier and held the blade in one hand an the hilt in the other. The weapon shimmered oh so slightly, almost revealing the power hidden within. "I may not be the best player but my Rêve Angélique, this rapier, has protected me from many enemies. It may not seem like it but it has this amazing power." She said with an almost sparkly eyed look on her face. She smiled as she continued to speak, even realizing that, even if Mari would not admit it, she genuinely cared for people's well being. "I know you may not realize it, but caring about a random girl wearing, well what is in all purpose, a wedding dress. I promise I am not one of those ditsy players who rushes ahead without thinking. I am very careful when it comes to training. I could never allow myself to die, not here. I may not be the strongest, but I promise, I would not do anything rash." 

Raina continued to smile angelically. Mari seemed to have a little bark, something Raina has come to expect from most players, orange or not. She sheathed her blade and crossed her arms, pressing up against her chest. "I have some health potions and I am quite fast, but if you really think it is not safe, I guess I could find somewhere else to go. Any thoughts on a good place? I am about level 10 so I thought this floor would be the best place for me to get stronger." It was clear Raina really was just a sweet girl.

@Mari

Incredulous eyes stared at the glimmering blade. "Your Re-angelica-whatever is only as good as the numbers behind the skill system."  Mari said with a tilt of her head. She was not impressed by a glittery blade, as Macradon said, they were a dime a dozen. Uniques and Demonics littered the world. Even her own, a drop from a floor boss - was considered sub par on the higher floors. Still she supposed it did its job here. And Raina seemed pretty chuffed with it, it wasn't exactly fair for Mari to disparage the sword so.

A jab of guilt struck her as her thoughts fell back on Glaius, and how close he had been to death because of the inherent ability of her  blade; to make others bleed. It may be considered weak on the frontlines, but here - it was good enough. "Sorry..." Mari said apologetically as she lifted a hand to push her bangs up and out of her face, her fingers trawled through her orange locks before they came down to rest on the back of her neck. She really struggled to be...casual. It felt like she was pulling teeth, even in the best of circumstances. Maybe she just wasn't meant to do people. "You seem like you're fairly prepared so you should be fine. There's a decent quest there - That gets you a little pendant to give to loved ones. Perhaps you could do it for your..." Another glance at the wedding dress. "Err...boyfriend?"

Speaking of Boyfriends and Partners... "Aren't you a little..young to be wearing a wedding dress?" Mari asked. "Though...I suppose its none of my business, really. I'd just personally find it impractical. Or is it some sort of Cosplay?" That worked, right? Casual conversations were often based on things like this. 

@Raina

Raina looked into the girls piercing eyes and listened carefully to her words about her sword not carrying her forever. Her eyes lit up with a touch of sadness. She almost tightened the grip on her arms as if to hold herself for comfort, her head hung low with worry. " Ya.. you are right. My blade cannot do everything for me, I know that, but it is the best I have at the moment." Strands of her pink hair fell in front of her face, as if to shield her worry.

"There is no reason to apologize. Maybe I was a little over excited to get stronger. I appreciate the worry." The girl sadly softly, almost inaudibly. It was clear her confidence was not one hundred percent in this world. Almost like something incredibly painful has happened to her, something that is driving her to be the way she is. At the mention of her beloved, she seemed to perk up a little. She raised her head and blushed. "I... I guess you could call him my fiancee. We are saving col for the vow ceremony." she continued, her face lighting up a bit, removing some of the sadness and worry that was just stricken upon it. 

Mari's words about her outfit was one she was kind of used to by now. She belted out a fit of sweet laughter before she finally spoke, "Sorry to laugh. This just is not the first time someone has asked about my outfit. It was made by a friend and I guess they thought a princess type role fit me or something? I do not know to be honest, but I have become quite accustom to it. Does it look bad on me?" She asked before doing a quick twirl sending her hair and dress flaring out. 

@Mari

Boy, this girl really just wears her emotions on her shoulders, huh?

Mari thought to herself as she watched the vibrancy Raina extruded flicker and fade as she folded in on herself, her arms wrapping around her torso in an effort to hold and comfort herself. "Girl...really..." Mari said with a sigh. It wasn't really her place to console Raina, wasn't that her boyfriends job? "I'm sure your blade is fine for you." Mari said in a poor attempt to soothe the other girls troubles. 

At least; Raina seemed to perk up, her emotions quickly shifting back to a more joyous tone. Fiancee? Mari bit her tongue, not wanting to comment on it. If she did, she was sure there would be little nice to be said about it. They were young, and marriage was...well, Mari supposed marriage was different here than out there; here it was a useful tool for sharing inventories, and something that wasn't exactly binding. Mari kicked at the grassy ground, it wasn't her place to disparage two people who had found happiness with each other. In fact... Mari lifted a hand to flick open her HUD. "I don't personally get it, but I'm jaded, my ex husband is a right f**king asshole. But here." Mari pulled out 1k Col and hefted the bag toward Raina. "Best wishes or whatever. I don't have a need for Col so, have fun."

Mari guessed it explained the wedding dress aesthetic. Raina explained that her friend made it for her, and Mari had to refrain from commenting that princesses, and brides were two very different things, and the whole 'princess' aesthetic was outdated - but again, that was Mari being bitter. She had to be better about these sort of things. "I don't know...If you want my honest opinion..." Mari mumbled as she shifted her eyes away. "I personally am not a big fan of the overly girly look - but that's the thing." Mari turned her gaze back to Raina, she was practically bouncing on the spot in sheer delight, and that seemed to be just the type of person Raina was. Quite the opposite of Mari.  "But that's the thing; looks, personality, things like that - they're all relative. What is attractive to one person, isn't to another. What works for one person, makes another crumble. If wearing frilly dresses makes you happy, focus on that. 'Sides, I'm sure your boyfriend likes you in anything."

@Raina

Raina's eyes sparkled with sadness as Mari spoke about her ex. She was always disheartened when people are treated badly. "I.. I am sorry to hear that, about your ex I mean. You deserve someone that treats you well." She said as she gave a weak smile. Raina was taken back as she felt the bag on col that was handed to her.  The weight was heavy and it did not help that this gift surprised her. "Are... are you sure? This is so much." She said trying her best to look into Mari's eyes. "I.... I really appreciate this." She continued as Mari had said col did not matter to her. Raina could not believe this. Someone she just met, an orange player no matter, could be so sweet to her, and even went out of her way to give her funds for her and Atzo's vows. 

Mari continued to speak about Raina's choice of attire and said she wasn't much of a fan of frills and pretty dresses and Raina got embarrassed as she looked down at her outfit, but was relieved when Mari said that if she liked her that is what matters. "Yea I guess, my fiancee Atzo kinda likes anything I wear, and I am more of a fan of girly clothes. I hate pants with a passion. A passion for fashion!" She called out as her eyes ignited with a blazing fire. "Sorry I guess that was a little corny." 

@Mari

Mari shut her eyes and sighed when Raina said that she deserved someone that treated her well, Mari wanted to believe those words- but she couldn't. Mari wasn't about to go and denounce the other womans words. Mari felt that if she said anything negative to Raina; the girl might just collapse to the floor with tears spilling over cherub like cheeks. She seemed like a very emotional girl after all.

Instead, Mari non nonchalantly waved Raina off as she thanked her for the Col. "It's fine. really. It's not like I'm using it, and it's not like I can just wander into town and sit at a nice cafe or anything. So it just sits there doing nothing."

Besides, if her pittance of a donation made someone this happy...then to Mari, that was worth it. Money was relative. And the Col system felt like it was all over the place. Mari wasn't sure what was considered a 'large amount' or not.

Atzo.

So that was the name of her fiance, it was not one Mari was familiar with, but that wasn't anything new. The woman wasn't exactly a people person. There were many people she didn't know. And by the looks of it her noteriety was begining to disappear. There were now many people who didn't know her. Didn't know the rumours that surrounded her, or the sordid and spotty past. It was...nice.

"A...what now?" Mari snorted in amusement as a small smile tore the corners of her lips.
"That's uh...I'd say a little more cringy than corny; but honestly - you just gotta own it and f**k what other people say or think of you."

@Raina

Raina's blush completely lit up her sun kissed skin, almost like it had been set ablaze with fire. She can not believe she said something so cringe worthy. She had a habit of sometimes saying the silliest of things, almost like she was a heroine from some kind of fantasy anime. She placed the bag in her inventory after the reassurance of her new friend and again placed her arms wrapped around herself, almost in a hug like motion. She could not look Mari in the eyes without feeling extremely embarrassed at her own words. "Why am I such an idiot?" She said quietly, almost inaudibly. "I.. I guess you are right. I can't care what others think. But really you should take the same advice. So what you are an orange player, there is always time to change that if it is something you are not happy with. I know I would love to sit in a cafe with you." She continued as she turned her head back towards Mari and said with such enthusiasm. "I.. I want to be your friend and do friend things besides suffering through this damn death game!" 

Raina clenched her fist as she spoke passionately to the orange player. She did not seem like a bad person, nothing like what she expected an orange player to be. Raina just had a feeling that there was more then just an orange player to this Mari. She wanted to know more, if she would let her.  

@Mari

Mari shrugged when Raina asked herself why she was an idiot. It was a rhetorical question. So Mari wasn't going to bother answering it. She didn't see the big deal with the comment. So what if it was....cringe worthy, Raina was being herself, unabashedly herself. And why should anyone apologize for that? 

"It's a little different for me yanno." Mari said quietly. "There's a difference in screaming 'passion for fashion' and being a straight up murderer." Her words sounded a little more cold than Mari intended, but the point had to be made. Mari closed her eyes and took a step away from Raina, to give them each a little space. "The path to redemption is long and arduous, it's not filled with happiness and sunshine. There are countless people who want to see you fail. And even if I do take that quest, it doesn't erase the names on that monument."  

Mari turned back to Raina, she as so innocent and carefree - was it really fair for Mari to be so harsh on her? "Before you so freely offer your friendship I want you to leave here today and look at that monument of life." Mari warned. "You're doing plenty already. You're happy, vibrant and getting married - I'd hardly call that suffering."

@Raina

• 7 months later...

(since this thread hasn't had any replies for months I will continue to finish it as a solo)

"Well..." Mari shoved her hands in her pockets. "I uh...this has been nice, but I should probably get going."

Mari swore she saw Raina's smile fade - and Mari quickly bought her hands up and shook them in defence. "Its just - I got somewhere to go, I'm normally only this far down to meet up with people I've contracted to bring me food and stuff, yanno..." Mari pointed up at her cursor. "Being a PKer and all." It wasn't entirely untrue - Mari was on her way down to meet up with Ceres. Although it was more for an exchange in information rather than food. "So really, I just don't wanna keep people waiting." Mari gave Raina a small wave goodbye. "I wish you all the luck with your marriage." Her voice lowered, a small whisper filled with a turmolt of emotion. "Really...I do..." Her gaze shifted to the horizon.

"Because..." There was a pause. "Things like that..." Another pause. "They're to be cherished. For as long as you can hold onto them."

Because if you don't, they'll slip through your fingers
   And you'll probably find out that those sweet nothings were nothing more than sweet lies
           placating cruelties uttered only to manipulate you
                          to use you, and shatter you.

Mari didn't say what she thought, instead...she turned her sapphire, azure, blue eyes toward Raina and her lips - well- they quirked up into what was a half smile then into a full smile. No. Mari wouldn't do that to such a bright and exuberant (also perhaps a little naive) young girl, who was so full of hopes and dreams and light. Mari would be so cruel to take that away. "Welp. See ya." And with that small wave, that simple gesture...Mari bid Raina farewell. She took one step, then another, and finally...a third away from  that young buxomed pink haired girl before turning on her heel.

"That...certainly was an interesting interaction." Mari said to herself. It hadn't been bad though. Right?

Right?

The conversation with Raina  had been....interesting to say the least. Mari wasn't sure how she felt about it. But Mari could take solace  in the fact that she had tried to cheer up Raina. Hell, she even gave the strange, buxom, pink haired woman a...what do they call it? A dowry? Whatever. Mari shrugged her shoulders. It didn't really matter. It seemed like the type of encounter that wouldn't happen again, and if it did then - well...

Mari turned back to glance over her shoulder at the direction where Raina had been. Mari...had hoped that at least Raina had some good memories of her. Maybe, just maybe - Mari could slowly change the opinion of others. Through sheer determination to right the many wrongs. Those steps were small. Minute, minuscule in comparison to everything that she had done in the past. 

"One small step at a time..." Mari said to herself. She had to keep saying that, had to keep taking those steps forward - because if she didn't....

If she didn't then....

Well...

Mari stopped walking. Her footsteps no longer moving as they came to a complete stop. Stopping in the green lush grass that tickled her ankles. Well.... Mari reached into her inventory with a flourish of her hand, she quickly navigated the windows and menus till she pulled out the trinket she had gotten earlier that day. The ordeal left a sour taste in her mouth. Literally. "ugh." What was his name again? Gauis? Gavin? Gordy?

Dumb ass.

Right. Dumb ass seemed suitable. 

Finally. Mari found it and pulled the trinket out of her inventory. It sat in her hand. In the palm of her hand, sparkling. Pristine. A thin silver chain that looped between her splayed fingers - and on that thin and shimmering chain sat a small crystal. It was a red crystal, and that red crystal was shaped like a red teardrop. A simple pendant. 

"To...give to someone as a gift." Mari repeated.

Someone she cared about? Someone who cared about her? That was a laughable notion. Mari didn't have anyone like that. She didn't have family nor friends waiting for her on the outside. Not that she was a loner, just that - she had always held people at arms length. She didn't make an impact on anyone, nor a lasting impression. She had done that on purpose. Ever since the divorce and the betrayal and the heartbreak Mari didn't want to go through that all again. So, she on purposefully held people at arms length.

It was easier that way. But, it also meant that there really wasn't anyone there. No one to visit her in the hospital bed, no one to be waiting for her with baited breath to see if she would ever wake from this living hell. No one to pay the bills, so realistically. It was only a matter of time, right? What was more important? A single life? Or money?

Mari knew the answer.

It was money.

It always was.

That's why her marriage ended in divorce. It's why so many people got sick. It was probably why this game turned out the way it did. Who knew what kind of secret government agency was paying to have Kayaba experiment on so many malleable minds.  Without money, you'd at best lead a respectable life, but that was it.

Mari had none of that.

So - why the hell, how the hell was she even still hooked up to the machine? After a year, or two - wouldn't doctors and nurses and medical staff just pull the plug? Maybe Mari was secretly hoping they'd all do just that. Pull the plug on her. Because then she could just BOOP

or fizzle, or phase out - or however it works when the nerve gear fries their brains. Mari sighed.

"So you see, Gordon, or Gaius or whoever - whatever your name was...." Mari said. As she was talking to the pendant. "I'd never really be able to give this to anyone. Anyone." She lifted her eyes to the horizon. 

It's not like she'd ever fall for some shunsengumi clad samurai or anything, after all.

Nah.

She had way more control than that.

"Hahahaha..." Mari audibly laughed at the thought as she pocketed the <<Hoya of Minos>> 

"Pfft." She slapped her cheeks. "Like I'd ever fall for someone that weeabo." Heck, even saying it out aloud made her inwardly cringe. 

"welp." There was no use in her dwelling on sad things. Because Mari knew that she had no time to be sad. Not when she wanted to help everyone here escape. Not when she had a mission. Not when she wanted to fight her way to the frontlines. "And not when I have some rosey haired girl to bring me some decent food." Mari said as she patted her stomach.

Right.

RIGHT!

Things weren't that bad, she had people in this world she could rely on. People like Macradon. And hey, as long as she still had friends like that - who she could quest with, and grow stronger with then someday, somewhere, somehow - everything would work out.

And Mari would perhaps be able to get some rest, from the things that went bump in the night.

-End

Thread Rewards

Mari + Raina Receive 200 Col + 2 SP